PDA

View Full Version : DVD Burning Problems?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

iamhydrogen
2005-04-17, 10:09 PM
dude, i told you already, you DO NOT WANT TO CHOOSE BURN IMAGE TO DISC. :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: that is only for burning .iso and .nrg and other disc image files.

iamhydrogen
2005-04-17, 10:11 PM
where are you dragging and dropping the dvd files. is it a box with two folders, one audio_ts and a red video_ts folder?

Alpine97
2005-04-17, 10:11 PM
What do I want to select if its not burn immage to disc..

Alpine97
2005-04-17, 10:13 PM
I don't see a place where I can click photo and video, I don't see anything anywhere that says "photo and video"

Alpine97
2005-04-17, 10:14 PM
Nope I'm dragging to the burn box that I always had in the past and its only a video ts folder just the way I had always done it in the past

iamhydrogen
2005-04-17, 10:16 PM
start > all programs > nero startsmart. then when the program opens go to photo and video. then there will be a little green arrow at the bottom right hand corner, click that. then choose burn dvd video files. yuo should then see the afformentioned box with the (red) video_ts folder and the (regular) audio_ts folder. put all of your individual dvd video files into the red video_ts folder and leave the audio_ts folder alone. then you should be able to burn it.

iamhydrogen
2005-04-17, 10:18 PM
i dunno, you don't have the full version or something, i really don't know what to tell you. try re-installing it maybe. other than that i really can't help you. if you are not getting a box with a red video_ts folder and a regular audio_ts folder then you are not going to be able to burn these files with that program. sorry.

Alpine97
2005-04-17, 10:19 PM
WHERE IS "PHOTOS AND VIDEO"? Under Favorites, Data, Audio, Copy and Backup, Extras???? I have no clue where in the world PHOTOS AND VIDEO is located

iamhydrogen
2005-04-17, 10:21 PM
it is up at the top with all of those other choices. you must just not have it. did you buy this or steal it from the internet?

Alpine97
2005-04-17, 10:21 PM
Well thanks for trying to help!! I appreciate it. I have used this program as a trial many many times and I have never had an audio ts file when burning dvd. Everything is in a VIDEO TS file only

Alpine97
2005-04-17, 10:22 PM
I didn't buy it, my buddy gave me a serial # that he said to put in after my trial version expired. He said it works for him but I have no clue where is so I can't ask him for help

iamhydrogen
2005-04-17, 10:22 PM
no kidding. i said folder not file. are you reading what i am typing. i am not trying to be a dick but it seems like you aren't even reading this.

iamhydrogen
2005-04-17, 10:23 PM
just try re-installing the entire software suite and see if you get the photo and video option.

iamhydrogen
2005-04-17, 10:25 PM
you should have posted this over in technobabble btw. this is general discussion.

jcrab66
2005-04-17, 10:25 PM
Lynne! Dawg! Five! Howz about this gets moved to technobabble?

Alpine97
2005-04-17, 10:26 PM
I meant folder

iamhydrogen
2005-04-17, 10:26 PM
:raph: :leo: :mikey: :don: i have always wanted to use those :)

U2Lynne
2005-04-17, 10:37 PM
Lynne! Dawg! Five! Howz about this gets moved to technobabble?
I just now noticed this thread. It was my son's birthday today, so I just wasn't around.

It's been moved now.

liveman
2005-04-19, 01:05 PM
I just bought a Plextor DVDR burner and I have some question about the burning procedure. I went to videohelp.com but it seems I'm more than a newbie ;)

I feel stupid to ask that but:

1. what is the best way to burn a DVD (.ISO image or with structure VIDEO_TS using ISO/UDF)? Is there a difference regarding quality?

2. do you loose quality everytime you copy a DVD (like with CDR audio generations)?

3. why do I need to extract DVD (with DVDdecrypter for example) , can I simply copy/paste the AUDIO_TS + VIDEO_TS folder from disc to hard drive and then burn it?
(please don't laugh :hmm: )

thanks in advance and sorry if it has been asked somewhere else...

J-F

DoIFeelLucky
2005-04-19, 01:22 PM
Sorry, can't help you with the first.

As for the second, whoa - hold on. You're thinking analog. With CDs and DVDs, being digital, there is no such thing as generation loss. The only quality loss that can occur is if the source is transcoded to a lossy compression format, such as mp3 (even to a lower-bitrate version of the same format), during the copying process. With digital sources transferred digitally to a digital copy, either it works or it doesn't. Period. There is no gradual degradation of quality. The only thing I can think of is the possibility of burning/reading errors (but if you use good software you'll know if an error has occurred).

As for decrypting DVDs instead of just copying the folders, I believe it's because the content on commercial DVDs is encrypted, and if you just copy it to your hard drive you'll end up with digitally scrambled junk that you won't be able to use at all. It needs to be decrypted during the ripping process, which gives you an unencrypted copy on your hard drive that you can use. For DVDR, I'm not so sure... probably the ability to select which chapters, audio, and subtitle streams you wish to rip, as well as for a more secure ripping process, perhaps... but don't quote me on that.

liveman
2005-04-19, 01:49 PM
Thanks "DoIFeelLucky" for your reply!
What I meant with deterioation of quality during CDR copying is that you does not have automatically a perfect clone of the original CDR (ok if you use EAC with corrected offset). So when you copy a DVD do you have automatically a perfect clone of this DVD? I would guess so because DVD are "data" format but I'd like to have a confirmation.

DoIFeelLucky
2005-04-19, 03:38 PM
As far as I know, that's right.

andrewm1021
2005-04-24, 11:22 AM
i download phish 4-3-98, now i dont have a cd burner but my fridn does, is there a way that i can burn the data to a disc, and then burn the dvd at his house, any help is appreciated, thank you

AAR.oner
2005-04-24, 11:39 AM
ummm, yes and no...but i have a few ?s first re: yer setup:

1. you said you don't have a cd burner...i'm guessing you meant you don't have a dvd burner, correct?

2. do you have access to an external harddrive?

the problem is, a DVD torrent usually is a couple gigs, with the .vob files [these are yer actual "video" files] usually around 1GB each...so you can't fit them on cdr's to transfer to yer friends house...you will either need an external harddrive to copy the show to [and then load to yer friends comp], OR buy a dvd-rw drive for yer computer [they're not that expensive, and well worth the purchase!]...

of course, you can always just watch on yer computer until you get one of the two...

U2Lynne
2005-04-24, 11:40 AM
I've heard of people doing this by 'rar'ing the files and burning them to a few CDRs and then unraring the files on the new computer to burn them to DVD.

WinRAR (http://www.rarlab.com/)

AAR.oner
2005-04-24, 11:42 AM
^^^what lynne said will work too [never done it myself tho]

if you can handle "rar"ing, then you could always FTP the show to him, and proceed burning from there.

Five
2005-04-24, 11:55 AM
I've used spanning rar files to get around this, it works.

there's also freeware progs like hjsplit (http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/) that can also do this.

outpostnorth
2005-04-24, 01:11 PM
.....and .rar lives to see another day. ;)

do you have an iPod or something of that nature by chance?

when you plug it in it will act just like a harddrive on your computer (it is one)

just copy the folder onto the drive and go plug it in at your friends house.

feralicious
2005-04-24, 01:16 PM
Someone else posted the exact same question here before.

The easiest solution is buy a DVD burner. You can get one for around $50 now, so just do it. :)

andrewm1021
2005-04-24, 04:49 PM
thanks to everyone for your help, i do have an external hd so im using that solution, buying a dvd burner is also an option, thank you everyone

feralicious
2005-04-26, 02:23 AM
Hi liveman! :wave: Still haven't liberated that Nick Cave Duende cd, but will do so soon and will be posting it on this site.

If you're copying DVDs used in trading, the easiest, and I think best way to copy it is to make an image and then burn it, unless you want to add info. I usually rip them to my HDD because I like to add info into the txt file to document the video/audio quality.

Here's some tools to get:
DVD Decrypter (http://www.dvddecrypter.com/): Free. Rips to your HD or makes an image and can burn the image.

GSpot (http://www.headbands.com/gspot/): Free. Allows you to look up the audio and video info of your DVD. Just browse to one of the vob files, open it up and it will show you all you need to know, like so:

http://img255.echo.cx/img255/5958/gspot7oj.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

Hope this helps.

Also, if you're just archiving flac shows onto DVD, I believe you should select the UDF/ISO option as oposed to just ISO. If I understand it correctly, UDF is the newer "version" and so your discs won't become outdated, and yet will still be able to be read as ISO when needed. I could be wrong, but that's what I got from what I've read on the subject.

Peace and welcome to DVD land.

wazoo2u
2005-04-26, 06:24 AM
Also, if you're just archiving flac shows onto DVD, I believe you should select the UDF/ISO option as oposed to just ISO. If I understand it correctly, UDF is the newer "version" and so your discs won't become outdated, and yet will still be able to be read as ISO when needed. I could be wrong, but that's what I got from what I've read on the subject.

Peace and welcome to DVD land.

Nina,

UDF refers to "packet writing". DVD programs probably use UDF when they write an ISO image because the transcoding time would make buffer underruns a problem for a lot of burners. ISO refers to the ISO9600 standard. A new flavor of ISO will have a new number :) (mint chocolate chip please... :D)

If you want to do incremental writes to your archive DVD disk, you could use UDF to write one or more files at a time, without any ISO9600 creation at all.

AAR.oner
2005-04-27, 02:09 AM
So when you copy a DVD do you have automatically a perfect clone of this DVD? I would guess so because DVD are "data" format but I'd like to have a confirmation.

it depends if the dvd yer copying was burnt using the DVD-Video format, or a ISO/UDF format...preferable to archive and trade in the ISO/UDF formats because yer strictly dealing with data..."DVD-Video" burnt shows [much like a commercial DVD] must be extracted...this is where possible "degradation" can occur...

feralicious
2005-04-27, 09:04 AM
Hey I like the new avatar Aaron. That one looks like my boy except mine has a red nose and uncropped ears.

And mine's cuter, of course. ;)

AAR.oner
2005-04-27, 10:07 AM
Hey I like the new avatar Aaron. That one looks like my boy except mine has a red nose and uncropped ears.

And mine's cuter, of course. ;)

thanks! thats the foundation of my line, Aoife...she's the Queen of this house no doubt!

willndmb
2005-04-27, 12:30 PM
either way works, i personally think the img is easier and safer
not sure about dvds, but yes cds do that--even though they are digital they still do loss a small small small amount on each burn
decryptor requires a img file i thing, to copy and paste the folders you would need something like nero
but the img is safer and easier imo and they both would take up the same amount of space so there is no winning there
you can also set decryptor to delete the img after burn if you want to just rip and burn and not have the img sitting around

vinyljunkie
2005-04-28, 01:52 PM
hey guys, sorry if this is just another newbie question, but i really didnt know what to search for. anyway, im trying to burn a dvd i downloaded but my stupid laptop didnt come with any decent burning software, is there any freeware i can use for the time being to get these to a disc, like dvddecrypter or something, thanks a bunch.

shane

U2Lynne
2005-04-28, 02:41 PM
If you do a search in this forum, you will find several threads about burning DVDs.

mark2005
2005-05-03, 07:53 AM
I am new to the DVD bit torrent download DVD burning process. I have copied DVD's and I have made CD's from wave files and downloads of FLAC and SHN files. I downloaded the Phish Halloween 1998 bit torrant file and can not figure out how to burn a DVD of the show. I can watch the show on my computer. I have spent hours and hours reading and trying to make it work on my computer. Can somebody help me out? What are the steps I need to use? The tutorials have not helped me. I am losing my mind.
Thanks for your help. :confused:

iamhydrogen
2005-05-03, 08:35 AM
get nero. that will solve all of your problems. :) (for the most part)

feralicious
2005-05-03, 08:55 AM
You can read the FAQ and search this thread. This is asked over and over.

If you can't find it come back and mention what OS you are using and what software you have.

Beleaguered
2005-05-03, 11:20 AM
Try www.videohelp.com
Read the "How To" section.

mark2005
2005-05-05, 12:56 PM
Thanks for your help and advice. I will continue to read up and hopefully very soon I will be burning DVD's. I use Windows 2000 on my computer.
peace

Casanovabob
2005-05-06, 01:44 AM
can anyone help me? I got a Frank Zappa DVD from a Torrent site and i got the Video_TS folder with those files in it. How can I burn this to dvd, and i dont have Nero (I downloaded a trial before and now i cant use it because it wont let me).

nodin
2005-05-07, 08:40 AM
I'll second the www.videohelp.com

But to cut through all the crap this is what you do download IMG burn (it's freeware)http://www.coujo.de/ib2/index.php?act=module&module=include&incl_name=download
I think you need Nero to run it but I'm not positive. I downloaded Nero (which ain't free, just download the trial version then never open it just leave it on your HD)

People will tell you just use Nero, but I found this much easier to use. It's all automated(no dragging files or determining which ones to use).
With IMGburn you just click the "directory" button locate your "video-ts" folder the click burn. That's it. In about 15 minutes you'll have a dvd.
By the way I think most burning hardware now uses DVD+R (they may or may not be compatible with DVD-R, so I just stick with the DVD+R)

knowustrider
2005-05-11, 04:34 AM
Recently purchased an eMac w/ a super drive and have been enjoying the DVD capability quite a bit and have successfully d/l and burned 20 DVDs or so ... Ran into a snag, the last 4 DVDs I have tried to burn have all shown up with source errors or buffer underrun errors in various stages of the process , encoding and writing ...

the only thing I can think of is this last batch I have started using new DVDs (Maxell) and previously I had been using Fujis (but I have heard that the discs are not as tempermental as CDRs) ...

I reinstalled Toast , no effect ...

any thoughts , or are these last few just bad downloads ?

Thanks in advance ...

ffooky
2005-05-11, 05:09 AM
If you're burning a VIDEO_TS folder then there should be no encoding necessary.

Which make of drive is it and which firmware (About This Mac->More Info->Hardware->ATA, the firmware is "Revision") ?

What speed are the Maxell blanks rated at and what speed were your Fujis ?

knowustrider
2005-05-11, 05:20 AM
The discs are the same speed (8x) ...

The drive ...

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-107D:

Manufacturer: PIONEER
Model: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-107D
Revision: A707
Drive Type: CD-RW/DVD-RW

Now I will just ask a stupid question, I finish my d/l and open Toast and drag the VIDEO_TS folder into the window, right ?

ffooky
2005-05-11, 05:31 AM
Which Toast are you running ? If it's 6.07 or above you need to go the Video tab and click the little bluish round button in the top left to make the options drawer come out. Select the Advanced tab and from this select DVD_Video from VIDEO_TS. Then you can drag your VIDEO_TS folder in and Toast will automatically add a blank AUDIO_TS folder when you hit the Burn button.

If you're running an earlier Toast, post back.

knowustrider
2005-05-11, 05:50 AM
I am running 6.03

ffooky
2005-05-11, 05:56 AM
Righto,

Data tab->open the options drawer->Advanced->DVD-ROM (UDF)->Hit "New Disc" (this is vitally important) and THEN drag in your VIDEO_TS folder. You can also then hit "New Folder" and rename the freshly created, empty folder AUDIO_TS, making sure it is free standing and has not been created within the VIDEO_TS folder. You can now safely hit Burn as Toast will automatically make any disc containing a VIDEO_TS folder a DVD_Video.

knowustrider
2005-05-11, 06:32 AM
I wasn't able to do eactly what you had said

Data tab->open the options drawer->Advanced->DVD-ROM (UDF)->Hit "New Disc" (this is vitally important)

I did not have the DVD-ROM (UDF) option when I opend the Advanced tab ... I went straight to the New Disc command

It started to burn and then about halfway through I got this message :

Sense Key = ILLEGAL REQUEST
Sense Code = 0x21 , 0x02
BUFFER UNDERRUN

Thanks for the help , boy I am frustrated simply because things were working before, I burned 6 audio discs this morning and they came out fine and copied a DVD as well , just cannot seem to burn a new DVD now

ffooky
2005-05-11, 07:29 AM
Bummer. Googling your error codes brought up a couple of possibly useful threads:

http://boards.support.roxio.com/roxio/board/message?board.id=00005150&message.id=19702

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-89276.html

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=131713

FWIW, I have the same drive as you in my eMac and a while back it just stopped offering 8x as a burn speed. In semi-desperation I flashed the firmware to 1.18 which also enabled DVD+R burning and it's been as good as gold ever since.

If you want to try that, this thread has all the info but you'll need to sift through to find it:

http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=30233

Hope something works for you.

knowustrider
2005-05-11, 08:51 AM
Thanks a ton for your assistance , at work now so I will have to sift through this tomorrow morning , checked out a couple of the links but I am a teacher and we have a nazi web filter which does not allow me to access much , thanks again !!

willndmb
2005-05-11, 12:02 PM
you only have this prob with maxell discs?? its the discs
i have never had probs with maxell myself but if you have no probs with fuji and now used 4 maxell and had probs with them all--its the discs

check out lynns mac burning page too
http://u2lynne.sandsmuseum.com/burning.html

jaybird07c
2005-05-13, 06:04 PM
Hello,

I finally figured out the bit turrent audio side of things and am thoroughly having a blast with sharing music of some of my favorites (ie" Crowes, Truckers, and Panic). :cheers: I just recently found this site with the option of videos and I'm trying to figure out how to start the fun in that arena.

I've been lurking/studying trying to gain the knowledge to burn dvd files and have come to a point of "stuck" :confused: . I am a newbie to the dvd stuff and have what I think are all the required programs to get the job done. (ie: Nero, DVD decrypter, etc.) I just can't get my test subject to happen.

I've downloaded a Trucker's file and have the VIDEO_TS file. My question is what do I need to do to get this onto a dvd? I've read about and seen mention of ISO files within NERO, but I cannot find any such file within the download. What step am I missing to get this done. Please keep in mind that I'm new to all the techno-speak, so any "layman's terms" would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

jaybird

diggrd
2005-05-13, 07:22 PM
You won't find ISO files offered here they are disc "images" which store the information in the same format that it gets burned to a DVDr or CDr and are not traded here. To burn your truckers show just start nero (I use express mostly) choose DVD-Video Files then drag or use add button to put the VIDEO-TS folder in the project. The latest version just shows the files and will create the proper folder structure on the burned disc. Hit next and burn away. In nero (not express) chose DVD-Video Files then NEW and put the contents of the VIDEO-TS folder into the projects VIDEO-TS folder and burn away

jaybird07c
2005-05-14, 03:38 AM
Thanks for the assist.

I'm still coming up at a loss. (forgive me if this winds up being an extremely obvious mistake, which I'm sure it will).

I'm working with the latest version of Nero (Nero 6). I can't even find an option for making a dvd-video task. The only tasks I can find are VCDs, Data DVDs and photo mgmt. Do I need to upgrade, switch to some alternate software, or what?

Anyone who has the latest version of Nero and could walk me through what I'm missing, I would greatly appreciate a tip.

Thanks again.

jaybird

jaybird07c
2005-05-14, 04:17 AM
In the immortal words of the great Homer Simpson: "WOOHOO"!!!! :banana:

I did some more reading through past threads and found a mention of IMGTOOL. Downloaded that for free and it's "me-proof" aka: idiot proof. My wife will be sooooo glad I bought that nice expensive Nero program for nothing more than supporting the free thing I downloaded :eek: . Perhaps I should'nt tell??? ;) Nothing like going around your ass to scratch your head....

rherron
2005-05-14, 06:39 AM
Thanks for the assist.

Anyone who has the latest version of Nero and could walk me through what I'm missing, I would greatly appreciate a tip.

jaybird

Open "Nero Burning ROM ." A "New Compolation" dialog box pops open. Top left hand side is a drop down to select CD or DVD. Select DVD. Sounds like your looking at CD. Then select "DVD-Video." Then it's just like burning a CD. Drop every file from your show into the red VIDEO_TS folder in the left-hand window. Do nothing with the AUDIO_TS folder.

Burn.

Rob

diggrd
2005-05-14, 11:23 AM
In the immortal words of the great Homer Simpson: "WOOHOO"!!!! :banana:

I did some more reading through past threads and found a mention of IMGTOOL. Downloaded that for free and it's "me-proof" aka: idiot proof. My wife will be sooooo glad I bought that nice expensive Nero program for nothing more than supporting the free thing I downloaded :eek: . Perhaps I should'nt tell??? ;) Nothing like going around your ass to scratch your head....
Are you beginning in Nero "Smart Start"?
Also you may want to get updates from HERE (http://ww2.nero.com/us/nero-up.php)

bhos
2005-05-16, 06:50 PM
so i've got the contents of a dvd on my hd. how the hell do you transfer to a dvd-r and have it play in a dvd player? i have windvd but i cannot open any of the folders. i've transfered everything to a dvd-r and it won't play on any player. do you have to convert the .ifo or .vob files before burning to dvd-r? i'm completely lost. at work they have sonic and everthing else that comes with the cpu for writing software. any help is appreciated.

AAR.oner
2005-05-16, 06:53 PM
this ?s been addressed before, try searching the "Technobabble Archive" or you can find out a bunch of ish at videohelp.com

bhos
2005-05-16, 07:53 PM
nevermind...i'm an idiot.

webbmaster
2005-05-18, 12:42 PM
I've just been through this entire thread and done everything. What I failed to do is determine if my PC is capable of burning DVDs. I am new to this too. I just bought this PC used. It works great. How can I determine if it is able to burn DVDs?

The first clue that set me off was the ImageTool Burn program only has an "Image Recorder" device. So I assume I can't burn. I'm feeling more and more like an idiot. I knew it was too easy.

Whats the price range for an external DVD burner? Are external burners recomended?

Thanks for all your help.

rherron
2005-05-18, 04:01 PM
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6971949&type=product&productCategoryId=cat01041&id=1099387466871

I have the 710. This is the newer one -- 720. Can't beat it. There is room for debate on this topic. Some swear by Plextor. They're good too.

Go internal instead of external. Cheaper. How much of a newb are you? Can you work a screwdriver? :eek: Just kidding. They are very easy to install.

Rob

PEPPER
2005-05-19, 09:32 AM
Ive just finished downloading a dvd and have got a couple of messages i dont understand.I put the files into nero for burning and i got this message.Dvd video files compliance test failed.the resulting dvd-video might be unplayable,do you want to continue.So i clicked yes to continue and then i get this message.A non critical error occured during the operatin which may result in a defective burn,do you want to continue anyway.So i continued,and burnt the disc,but it doesnt play in my player.it comes up with the menu screen,but when i choose play all,it just goes back to the basic screen.Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be.

THANK YOU

diggrd
2005-05-19, 12:50 PM
Get IfoEdit (http://www.ifoedit.com/) then open the VIDEO_TS.ifo and click get VTS sectors

PEPPER
2005-05-19, 01:48 PM
Thanks,as if by magic it works ok now. :) i really appreciate your help diggrd.

spursfan
2005-05-19, 02:36 PM
Ok, this is my first post after finding this wonderful site. I just downloaded my first DVD BT. I'm all excited to watch it on my standalone (in comfort).

Her's my story I can watch it perfectly fine on my computer by>"powerdvd". Well now I need to get it on to a DVD disc so after two days of reading everything I could find on the subject and trying a few differnt software aps. (including Nero)(maybe I'm just a retard and couldn't figure it out) I was able to burn a disc but it would not play on my standalone (Mitsubishi dd4030). I believe it was burning as a Data and that was the problem.
Anyway I found a program called "Imageburn" Thanks to the Tchnobable section on this site http://www.coujo.de/ib2/index.php?act=module&module=include&incl_name=download#burn
(by the way I believe you need the Nero software to run this.)
Problem solved I can now burn a DVD that is playable on my DVD standalone.

So to sum up...
1. get Image burn
2. Open Imageburn
3. find your directory where your "Video-ts" folder is
4. Make this your DVD "root"(The whole Video-ts folder)
5. Click the burn button
whala you now have a DVD that is able to play on your home DVD player.

I'm posting this in hopes it'll help out others with the same problem and save them the headache and time.

Thanks for sharing everyone :)

I tried this with a video I downloaded that when I try to play it, it only gives me the menu. When I click on "Play All', it won't play the video. When I try "Song Selection" it won't play any of the tracks. I am stumped and any help would be greatly appreciated. I use Nero 6 and burn in DVD-R format at 4X.

nodin
2005-05-19, 08:31 PM
I tried this with a video I downloaded that when I try to play it, it only gives me the menu. When I click on "Play All', it won't play the video. When I try "Song Selection" it won't play any of the tracks. I am stumped and any help would be greatly appreciated. I use Nero 6 and burn in DVD-R format at 4X.

I/m rather new to DVD burning myself, but If I were you I'd put the dvd you burned into your computer then open up your drive and see if the VOB files are there. Otherwise try "imageburn" not Nero. I originally tried Nero and had problems but with Imageburn I've never had a problem(I've done about twenty dvds with it).

If you did burn your dvd which your having problems with make sure you only burned the "VOB " files and the audio files. (don't burn the data ones. Again with Imageburn it's all automated just open the "video ts" folder into Imageburn and it transfers only the necesarry files.

If that doesent help I assume something must have gone wrong with the download or the way the seeder put it together. Maybe contact some of the other "leechers" and see if they too had problems.

Good luck

diggrd
2005-05-19, 08:48 PM
You might look here and try it also
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7416

brimstone
2005-05-20, 06:32 AM
If you rip an unprotected DVD with DVD decrypter will MD5s always match between the ripped files and the original files on the disc? Is there some option you can make that screws this up?

spursfan
2005-05-20, 07:27 AM
Thanks, I tried using imageburn, but it ddnt work. I am going to quit because I don't need any more coasters, but I do appreciate the help.

diggrd
2005-05-20, 05:23 PM
If it's unprotected what are you using decryter to rip it to, I mean unless you are changing file format from .vob to .mpg or something like that couldn't you just copy the files?

lost dog
2005-05-26, 05:10 PM
Hey I just finished downloading a dave matthews band show and it's in .VOB files. I was wondering what program I can use to burn these to a DVD-R. All the programs I have just have an image burner. Perhaps there's a way to make an image out of all the .VOBs and then burn it?

Thanks for the help.

U2Lynne
2005-05-26, 05:26 PM
The search function is your friend. :)

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/search.php?searchid=43300

spontabmark
2005-05-26, 05:26 PM
if you have only .vob's and no bup's and ifo's then your best bet is to use a DVD authoring program like TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.6 (free month trial) and add the .vobs in order to the project, set it on no menu and it will create a video_ts directory for you

lost dog
2005-05-26, 05:30 PM
Nevermind I think I found it out, I had to update my version of nero and it installed a dvd burning tool. It had a video_ts folder and I just dragged all my stuff in there and burned. Thanks anyway.

MrRlphy
2005-06-04, 11:54 AM
:hmm:

kotti
2005-06-04, 12:44 PM
I got that error message a few times with Nero in the STG days. I think I used some other program for burning the discs and they worked fine with everything I tested them with. No idea what it actually means but I'm sure you could find something with Google search.

MrRlphy
2005-06-04, 01:26 PM
ok thank you

Patdro
2005-06-06, 10:48 PM
How can I burn to a playable dvd format a file which does not have Video_TS folder? Can I create one? I have downloaded the Pink Floyd Earls Court and can't figure out how to burn it in Toast. I just have a disc 1, can this be converted to a Video_TS?/ Any help is much appreciated.

Five
2005-06-07, 01:34 AM
can you please post a list of the files you've got?

paddington
2005-06-07, 02:43 AM
I bet it's a single .vob

if so, be sure to post the size as well, as that matters (no pun intended :) )

Patdro
2005-06-07, 05:28 AM
In the disc 1 folder are the Disc 1 md.5, a video_ts.bup, video_ts.ifo, vts_1_0.bup, vts_1_0.ifo, and five files VTS_1_ (1-5).VOB. Thanks for any help you can give

spontabmark
2005-06-07, 06:13 AM
just make a folder called VIDEO_TS and put all the files except the .md5 in it and there you have it

ffooky
2005-06-07, 07:30 AM
just make a folder called VIDEO_TS and put all the files except the .md5 in it and there you have it

If you first create the folder in the Finder rather than within Toast, it's best to delete the .DS_Store file before burning.

U2Lynne
2005-06-07, 10:06 AM
You can check my page on burning DVDs with Toast: http://u2lynne.sandsmuseum.com/burning.html#anchor9

irishcrazy2005
2005-06-11, 03:22 PM
Ok, I know that this kind of stuff has been covered before, but I did some searching and can't really figure out what I need. I downloaded a DVD torrent and used Roxio Easy CD Creator 6 to burn a data disc with VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders. I then ripped the disc to the computer using DVD Decrypter so that I could check the md5 and make sure that the disc was good. The reason that I ripped it back is that the md5 was a wholfile md5 outside of the VIDEO_TS folder, so it wouldn't read properly right off the disc. Anyhow, I got two problems there.

1) MKWact told me that not all the files from the checksum were there and it was missing "summer". However, there were 11 original files and I had all 11 of these.

2) This is the part that I know has been discussed before. Two files, VIDEO_TS.bup and VIDEO_TS.ifo, failed the md5 check. They are both the same size as the originals.

Is is my burning program that had introduced this error? If so, what is a good open source/freeware program for burning DVDs? Does Nero have this same problem too (I seem to recall that it does). What are other people doing? Thanks for the help in advance.

-Phil

mike1061
2005-06-11, 05:42 PM
I don't think you need to do all of what you are doing.
If the torrent had IFO, BUP, & VOB files it was likly DVD ready. I open Nero in DVD mode not DATA mode, yes there is a differance, though I don't know what. I drag and drop the whole folder in the window, and click burn. Done. To copy for a trade, I open DVDdcrypter in ISO Read mode, and rip to my HD. Then burn again to a disk, I use DVDdcrypter to burn the files it ripped.
Thanks Mike

irishcrazy2005
2005-06-11, 10:17 PM
I don't think you need to do all of what you are doing.
If the torrent had IFO, BUP, & VOB files it was likly DVD ready. I open Nero in DVD mode not DATA mode, yes there is a differance, though I don't know what. I drag and drop the whole folder in the window, and click burn. Done. To copy for a trade, I open DVDdcrypter in ISO Read mode, and rip to my HD. Then burn again to a disk, I use DVDdcrypter to burn the files it ripped.
Thanks Mike

I understand all of that, but I believe that you misunderstood my problem. The data being written to the DVD does not match the md5 checksum of the original data.

-Phil

AAR.oner
2005-06-11, 10:37 PM
i know nero changes one of the files when you burn to DVD-Video, but not a Data disc...i think its the .ifo file, but i'm not positive...so despite being a "lossless" copy in theory, it will fail the md5...whether roxio does this as well, i don't know...

...and yeah, it could be roxio introducing errors...i hear its not very reliable for trading purposes, but never use it so... :hmm: goodluck

brimstone
2005-06-12, 02:45 AM
1) MKWact told me that not all the files from the checksum were there and it was missing "summer". However, there were 11 original files and I had all 11 of these.

MD5 summer sometimes adds extra information in the md5 file that MKWact thinks are missing files. Open the md5 with a text editor and see what is there.

U2Lynne
2005-06-12, 11:41 AM
OK, I'm a Mac person, but here goes my understanding.

If you burn a Video disc using Nero, it will sometimes change the VIDEO_TS.BUP and VIDEO_TS.IFO files. I would *not* worry about that at all. The files to concern yourself about changing are all the other files, especially the VOB files which are the video files.

I think brimstone is correct about the MD5 summer file and with the solution.

steves2596
2005-06-14, 01:34 PM
HI,

Prehaps some can help. I recently downloaded a U2 6/17 show successfully. Then copied the file to toast 6. After tried to play the burned disc all that I was able to see was a blue file box.

I know the file downloaded Ok, because I can play it off my hard drive usingg ffmpeg.

Thanks

U2Lynne
2005-06-14, 02:43 PM
You might try asking in the thread if anyone else is having problems.

Have you ever successfully burned a DVD in Toast before? A DVD should have several files, not just one, so I'm a bit unsure of what you did.

AAR.oner
2005-06-14, 07:04 PM
first, do what lynne said^^^ re: asking int he thread if anyone else's having issues...

if not, and i don't mean to insult you if these ?s are *elementary* but...
Did you burn it as a Data disc, or a DVD-Video disc?
What format is the show [NTSC or PAL]?
What format does yer standalone DVD player play [NTSC or PAL]?
What brand of disc did you use? +R or -R?
Will yer standalone DVD player play both +R & -R?

steves2596
2005-06-15, 07:47 AM
first, do what lynne said^^^ re: asking int he thread if anyone else's having issues...

if not, and i don't mean to insult you if these ?s are *elementary* but...
Did you burn it as a Data disc, or a DVD-Video disc?
What format is the show [NTSC or PAL]?
What format does yer standalone DVD player play [NTSC or PAL]?
What brand of disc did you use? +R or -R?
Will yer standalone DVD player play both +R & -R?

Hi,

I agree i am still learning.
I burned it as a data disc (as per toast instructions)
the files were video_ts
first I tried playback using the Mac's DVD player. I have a I-Mac
I use -R maxell's

any advise?

U2Lynne
2005-06-15, 09:37 AM
Did you do it per the instructions on my site: http://u2lynne.sandsmuseum.com/burning.html The step everyone forgets is to hit the New Disc button on the bottom of the window and give your Untitled DVD a title (or not, I just like to say what the show is - default is My Disc)

AAR.oner
2005-06-15, 12:00 PM
I burned it as a data disc (as per toast instructions)

check Lynne's link above^^^

the issue is: a Data disc is a good way to archive/trade a DVD show, but to watch on a standalone DVd player, you'll need to burn it as a DVD-Video disc...Toast has tabs at the top of the main window that'll give you this option.

steves2596
2005-06-15, 01:22 PM
Did you do it per the instructions on my site: http://u2lynne.sandsmuseum.com/burning.html The step everyone forgets is to hit the New Disc button on the bottom of the window and give your Untitled DVD a title (or not, I just like to say what the show is - default is My Disc)

Yes, I am familiar with your site. In fact I bougtht toast per your advise. I have converted other video down loads with out a problem. But, everytime I try to download and convert a u2 show the same thing happens. In fact, most downloads I can not convert. I hve ruined my Discs. I really appreciate your responding to my problem - thanks

steves2596
2005-06-15, 01:25 PM
check Lynne's link above^^^

the issue is: a Data disc is a good way to archive/trade a DVD show, but to watch on a standalone DVd player, you'll need to burn it as a DVD-Video disc...Toast has tabs at the top of the main window that'll give you this option.

Thank you for your quick reponse. I will try that method later. Will I be able to copy and burn other discs that do not respond or are those ruined? Due to space limitations I can not save all shows on my hard drive.

AAR.oner
2005-06-15, 01:30 PM
When d/ling DVD shows via BT, i would recommend burning 2 disc for each show...

Disc1...burn in Data format--this is the preferred format for trading/archiving...that way, all you have to do is put the data disc in yer comp drive, copy the show's folder(s) to yer HD, and then burn as data to a disc for sending in the trade.

Disc2...burn as a DVD-Video for viewing on yer DVd player.

steves2596
2005-06-15, 03:03 PM
When d/ling DVD shows via BT, i would recommend burning 2 disc for each show...

Disc1...burn in Data format--this is the preferred format for trading/archiving...that way, all you have to do is put the data disc in yer comp drive, copy the show's folder(s) to yer HD, and then burn as data to a disc for sending in the trade.

Disc2...burn as a DVD-Video for viewing on yer DVd player.

Thanks - I am looking forward to watching the 5/17 U2 show

U2Lynne
2005-06-15, 03:37 PM
I haven't grabbed this DVD, but I just looked at the file structure and everything looks fine. When you get the blue screen, have you tried just hitting Play and seeing if anything happens? The person who posted it doesn't say whether there is a menu or not, so it could be that it just starts with a blue screen.

steves2596
2005-06-15, 05:08 PM
I haven't grabbed this DVD, but I just looked at the file structure and everything looks fine. When you get the blue screen, have you tried just hitting Play and seeing if anything happens? The person who posted it doesn't say whether there is a menu or not, so it could be that it just starts with a blue screen.

Yes I did try to hit play, and nothing happened. But, I will try to burn on video mode. Hopefully, that will work

Poster Nutbag 71803
2005-06-25, 11:01 PM
Hello everyone. I am new to thetradersden.org and I recently completed my download of video torrents for Phish 12/9/95, 4/3/98, and 70vp 5/6/05. Tomorrow I leave for Vermont and MUST have all of these DVD's burned. I have no idea what to do next. My DVD burning software (Sonic MyDVD) won't accept the file type. Do I need to make conversions? Can anyone walk me through step-by-step on exactly how to burn a DVD after completing a video torrent? I have tried videohelp.com and other sites and nothing can explain to me what to do. Any help is very appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
Pete

U2Lynne
2005-06-25, 11:15 PM
I'm not a PC person, but I do remember researching Sonic MyDVD before for someone else and finding out it doesn't do VIDEO_TS folders (as you have found out). Go download Nero and read the threads in this forum about DVD burning with Nero.

Poster Nutbag 71803
2005-06-25, 11:24 PM
Thanks!

Poster Nutbag 71803
2005-06-25, 11:36 PM
Well I downloaded the Nero demo and it can't burn DVD's so I need different software again (I think). Any more help?

paddington
2005-06-25, 11:42 PM
Guess you'll have to cancel your trip! ;)

or pay for Nero.. you need Nero anyway.

Poster Nutbag 71803
2005-06-25, 11:47 PM
Ha no way I'm backpacking for 4 weeks and I need to burn these to give to a friend up there. Any FREE software that will do the job?

Ted
2005-06-26, 06:18 AM
Try sourceforge.org for good, free software. Sorry, but I can't recommend DVD burning software, as I am unfamiliar with it myself.

rherron
2005-06-26, 07:44 AM
Are you saying the Nero Demo does not have the ability to burn DVDs or are you saying that you cannot burn DVDs with Nero? Because before I got Nero I downloaded the demo and I seem to remember that it was fully functional. Perhaps I am wrong about that.

Let me ask you a couple of really stupid questions. Have you ever burned a DVD on your computer before? Are you certain you have a DVD burner on your computer (not just a CD burner – two different things)? The reason I ask is I seem to remember a dialog in this forum with someone who realized, several posts in, that he lacked a burner. He thought he could burn a DVD on his CD burner.

I use Nero. Most programs are the same in that you drag all files (VOB, IFO, BUP) into the VIDEO_TS folder. Ignore the AUDIO_TS folder entirely. Then hit burn.

Update us on your situation.

Rob

AAR.oner
2005-06-26, 10:11 AM
videohelp.com
doom9.net

mjjareo
2005-06-26, 10:43 AM
My free solution is to use imgtool to create an image from the folder, then use DVDDecrypter to burn the disk. There are alot of ways to do this without buying Nero so I'm sure others will give you options as well. Surf the websites listed here and you'll find something that works well for you.

Here's imgtool http://www.coujo.de/
There's actually a version now that'll burn them too. I guess I've got to spend some time checking this out.

newt
2005-06-26, 02:36 PM
burnatonce is free and it will burn DVDs with VIDEO_TS folders. Once you have it installed just go to Mastering/DVD Video and you can drag files into the VIDEO_TS window there. Then click Compile/OK/Write.

http://www.burnatonce.com/

gsmyth79
2005-06-28, 08:40 PM
This forum is great! I've just gotten into DVDs, and you all have been super helpful in getting me started!

Here's my question...I'm using Toast 6.0 to burn Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-Rs. For some reason it takes like an hour and a half to burn and verify. I'm burning at "best" quality in the burning options window.

If anyone has any input, it would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!

gsmyth79
2005-06-28, 08:47 PM
I should add I'm using a 12 inch PowerBook G4 (10.3.9) with the Matshita DVD-R UJ-825 DVD burner (part of the standard Superdrive).

diggrd
2005-06-29, 02:46 AM
Well I think the 16X drives can burn 4.7GB in around 6 min., and top burn speed on your drive is 4X so 24 min. to burn, plus time to verify could be 1/2 hour easy.

AAR.oner
2005-06-29, 07:28 AM
shouldn't be taking 1 1/2 hours though...i usually burn at 4x/"Best" and it only takes ~20-30mins...could be that the drive needs a firmware upgrade? thats slowed me down to a crawl in the past...also could be the the Matshita drive doesn't like the particular "model" of TY discs...

just did a search for a firmware update on this drive--can't find one yet...i'll let ya know if i do

gsmyth79
2005-06-29, 11:39 AM
Thanks, I'll check the firmware. It's done this with the two different kinds of discs I've used, both +R and -R.

I thought it shouldn't take this long. Could it be a memory issue? I don't have any other programs running, but only have ~10 gigs left on a 45 gig drive...

gsmyth79
2005-06-29, 11:42 AM
Yup, it's the firmware I think:

http://www.apple.com/hardware/superdrive/

I guess I know what I'm doing when I get home tonight :D

AAR.oner
2005-06-29, 11:44 AM
cool...i couldn't find a firmware update anywhere with google...guess i shoulda checked apple.com first :hmm:

gsmyth79
2005-06-29, 11:54 AM
Yup, it's the firmware I think:

http://www.apple.com/hardware/superdrive/

I guess I know what I'm doing when I get home tonight :D

After actually reading the page, the problem doesn't seem that simple:
How do I know if my SuperDrive needs this update?
That’s easy: 17-inch or 20-inch flat-panel iMac, an eMac with SuperDrive, a Power Mac G5 or new Power Mac G4 with SuperDrive, or a PowerBook G4 with SuperDrive, your system is already compatible with the high-speed media.

I've got the Powerbook G4 with superdrive, so supposedly it should NOT need the update. I'll keep checking around to see if I find anything. Thanks for your help everyone.

pididente
2005-06-29, 04:56 PM
I burned the 4/20/05 tlg show to a dvd+r using nero express. The video comes out fine but there's no audio :( Any ideas what I might have done wrong? I think I had this same problem with a Garcia band show and maybe one or two others but otherwise haven't had any problems.
Thanks

farmstar
2005-06-29, 05:19 PM
Where are you putting the files from the VIDEO_TS folder you downloaded?

pididente
2005-06-29, 05:59 PM
I'm not sure I understand...I put the one's I d/l'ed into the VIDEO_TS folder in nero.

farmstar
2005-06-29, 06:32 PM
Sorry for the misunderstanding pididente, i have known people to put some files into the AUDIO_TS folder in their burning program as well, it was just a thought.

Have you tried the disks on multiple players? My brother's DVD player doesn't like some of my burned disks but will play some(an old sony carousel model) and the same ones work on my player.

Lately i have been using nero smarstart with the extra options enabled and under photo and video use the "Burn DVD-Video files" option and it dumps me into Nero Burning ROM SE program.

Hopefully someone else here knows a little more about you particular problem.
Good Luck

pididente
2005-06-29, 07:05 PM
Thanks a lot for the help. I'm still trying to figure it out. :confused:

AAR.oner
2005-06-30, 07:55 AM
first, trywgat farmstar said re: different DVD players...if that doesn't work...

i would reburn using Nero Burning ROM...the "New Compilation" window will pop up...select "DVD" and then "DVD-Video"...locate the show's Video_TS folder in the browser window, select everything inside and drag to the red Video_TS folder in the project window...reburn & test it out

also, have you asked in the show's thread if others are having a similar problem?

pididente
2005-06-30, 09:32 AM
Hey, thanks for taking a look and offering suggestions.

As far as I can tell, I'm the only one who has d/l'ed the show who is having trouble with the audio. I've had it happen with perhaps 2 other dvds in the past..and hundreds of sucessful burns. The last one I burned, 4th attempt :mad: , I followed the procedure above.

Nero seems to acting strange now so I'm doing a reinstall and I'll see if that helps.

AAR.oner
2005-06-30, 09:43 AM
Nero seems to acting strange now so I'm doing a reinstall and I'll see if that helps.
good call...i've had to re-install due to probs before...if that don't work, i guess try re-d/ling the show [yeah, that sucks i know]

Five
2005-06-30, 11:22 AM
well, if the torrent shows 100% in your client then redownloading won't help. ask in the thread as suggested previously and try restarting the torrent to make sure that you have 100%.

As for standalone compatability the strange secret is that the new DVD players selling for as low as $40 can play more than the more expensive ones (so I've heard). Is this the first DVD you've had this problem with?

pididente
2005-06-30, 04:03 PM
I feel like such an idiot...I have two dvd players and neither will play this disc but my neighbor's player plays it just fine. :redface:

I appreciate those who took the time to help. Thanks.

TheRealMe
2005-06-30, 11:51 PM
Here should be a very useful site for you:

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

gsmyth79
2005-07-01, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the reference...I actually just got a sweet LaCie d2 DVD burner for my other Powerbook that doesn't have a DVD burner. Man that thing rocks! It burns DVDs in like 30-40 min and CDRs in like 2 min!

So I think it's just the superdrive that's slow, and that there really isn't any problem.

AAR.oner
2005-07-01, 08:01 AM
i've gotta d2 external and have had no problems with it...you can update yer firmware for it at the Lacie website...however, Lacie doesn't actually make the drive [mines got a NEC 3500 in it i think]...just keep yer firmware updated and you'll have no probs...

bigu2fan
2005-07-02, 07:51 PM
I am having some problems burning DVDs of videos from this site. I am using a Macintosh G4 with OS X 10.3.9. I have successfully used iMovie and iDVD to edit my own home movies and burn them to DVD. However, when I try to burn DVDs using the VIDEO_TS files of concerts gotten from this site by dragging and dropping the VIDEO_TS file onto a blank DVD, there are problems on the resulting DVD. I can get the resulting DVD to play on my G4 just fine with the DVD Player application by going to "file" and then "Open VIDEO_TS" folder and selecting the VIDEO_TS folder on the DVD. However, several standalone DVD players I have tried won't even recognize this DVD. I used Disk Utility to compare this DVD with one I burned using iMovie and iDVD and the only difference I can find is that one says "Universal Disk Format" under "file system" and the other says "Mac OS Extended." The "Universal Disc Format" DVD (this is the one I created with iMovie and iDVD) plays fine in any standalone player, while the "Mac OS Extended" DVD will not.

Any suggestions on how to burn a DVD just by dragging and dropping the VIDEO_TS folder onto a blank DVD and then having the resulting DVD be able to be played by a standaloe player? Thanks very much in advance for any help you can give.

--bigu2fan

AAR.oner
2005-07-02, 08:15 PM
i use Toast, IMO its worth the money...there is a way to burn w/ Disk Util, but i can't remember the steps...i'll try and idg it up later

you can check over at http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/ and search for freeware apps

U2Lynne
2005-07-02, 08:26 PM
Check my page at http://u2lynne.sandsmuseum.com/burning.html

TheRealMe
2005-07-02, 08:50 PM
Yes, Lynne's site is very useful.

But I agree with AAR...Toast is worth having. It's extremely useful.

bigu2fan
2005-07-03, 05:57 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I went ahead bought Toast and checked out U2Lynne's site, where I found the instructions to get going. Now everything is working perfectly. Thanks very much for all the help!

--bigu2fan

daved_2487
2005-07-07, 01:50 PM
I have no idea how to burn a proper DVD. I just got a DVD burner and I downloaded the Pink Floyd Live8. Burner came with Cyberlink (using PowerProducer). If someone could tell me or point to a step by step instruction manual. I managed to burn the DVD but without the chapters intact. Sorry if this has been asked before. I can't find my answer anywhere. Any help would be appreciated. Dave...

AAR.oner
2005-07-07, 02:36 PM
i've never used/seen the PowerProducer software, but most offer two "basic" formats: Data disc [called DVD-ISO or DVD-UDF] & then DVD-Video.

burning a data disc won''t be playable in a standalone DVD player [you'll use DVD data discs for archiving & trading tho], so you want to burn a DVD-Video disc...once you open a project in that format, all you'll have to do is drag *all* the contents of the show's Video_TS folder [on yer HD] to the Video_TS folder in the project...then burn...

note that alot of the Live8 stuff being seeded is in PAL format, so if you have a NTSC DVD player [i.e. yer in N. America] the disc might not play on yer DVD player...you can convert from PAL to NTSC [not for trading tho], but that's a *whole* nother thing

hopefully someone with experience in the program can give ya alittle more detail, but thats the gist of it.

John Naccarato
2005-07-09, 08:21 AM
Hello, I'm experiencing difficulty burning a DVD. I run windows XP and I'm
using Nero that came with a new DVD writer. Here is what I did step by
step...
1) start off with Nero StartSmart
2) select "make your own DVD video"
3) import files using "add files"
4) files include...VIDEO_TS, VTS_01_0, VTS_01_1, VTS_02_1, VTS_02_2,
VTS_02_3 and VTS_02_4
***note...these are all of the files that Nero recognizes but when I check
the folder on the computer, there appears to be more files. There are
3 VIDEO_TS files, 3 VTS_01_0 files and 2 VTS_02_0 files.***
5) Use default menus
6) choose 4X speed (lowest) and hit burn
7) Receive this error... "unable to create the disc structure:transcoding
of videos failed, burn process failed!
8) I saved the error log and it tells me "ERROR cause: 128 (nmc_processing_
exception) source: CNeroConverter:: GetNextSample description:
cannot get next media sample"

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? I downloaded the show
and the download was definitely at 100%. I am able to play the individual
video files on my computer but would really like to be able to burn the
show.

Thanks;
John

AAR.oner
2005-07-09, 08:33 AM
don't use StartSmart...in addition, you'll want to burn two copies of the show, one as a DVD-Video [which is yer "watchable" copy for yer standalone DVD player] & the other will be a Data disc [ISO], which you'll store away for archiving/trading purposes.

DVD-Video:
1. open Nero Burning ROM.
2. the "New Compilation" window will pop up, select "DVD" as yer format, and "DVD-Video" as the project type.
3. now navigate to the show's Video_TS folder in the "File Browser" window, select *all* of the contents inside the show's Video_TS folder [.bup, .ifo, .vob] and drag them over to the *red Video_TS folder* in the project window. click burn

DVD Data Disc:
1. open Nero Burning ROM.
2. the "New Compilation" window will pop up, select "DVD" as yer format, and "DVD-ROM (ISO)" as the project type
3. now navigate to the show's *main folder* in the "File Browser" window, select it, and drag over to the project window. click burn.

John Naccarato
2005-07-09, 09:50 AM
Thanks a lot! My first burn was successful! I can't understand why the
software doesn't work through SmartStart though. You would think that
these things would be tested beforehand.

Anyway, thanks again!
John

daved_2487
2005-07-09, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the help. I got it to burn. Can watch it on the DVD player. Just can't get the chapters to work. I'll keep trying.

AAR.oner
2005-07-09, 12:31 PM
smart start sucks...everything you need to do with Nero can be done in the Burning ROM [well almost everything]

AAR.oner
2005-07-09, 12:43 PM
i know you probly don't want to hear this, but i'd recommend paying for Nero...its pretty good for burning DVds and cds alike...there's other freeware programs too--check videohelp.com or doom9.org

burglecutt
2005-07-09, 07:50 PM
So im trying to watch this new DVD I downloaded and my WinDVD player displays the image: Create Overlay Failed. Please Lower your Screen Resolution or Color Depth and try again.
I dont see any possible lower setting. Im at 800x600 and 16-bit color quality which are my lowest settings. Im thinking, this being a new computer, all the programs installed on here are crap and require to upgrade all of them. I might be wrong but I might be giving up here. This is my first Dvd burner and my first DVD download so if anyone has any suggestions it will surely help. The DVD burner program (sonic Now) is a different story.

daved_2487
2005-07-09, 07:56 PM
Thanks. I'll check out those sites. Maybe I'll get Nero. Take care,
Dave...

burglecutt
2005-07-09, 08:18 PM
Do my files need conversion to viddy?

TheMamba
2005-07-10, 07:47 AM
To watch the DVD on your computer, use VLC:

www.videolan.org/

To burn DVD's, I highly suggest getting Nero:

www.nero.com

As an aside...if you're on a new computer, why do you have the graphics settings so low? (800x600 & 16 bit) Did you lower them in response to the error message?

irishcrazy2005
2005-07-18, 11:20 AM
So I just downloaded and installed the trial version of Nero 6 Ultra Edition (or whatever they're calling it) to see if I want to buy the program and stop using Roxio. I have now coastered three DVDs (TDKs which have worked fine in my burner before) in a row. I am getting a message that says "Error reading data." I have tried restarting the comp and have tried this with two different VIDEO_TS folders. I have attached the logs from the second and third tries. Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks and sorry for clogging this forum up with all of my problems lately!

-Phil

castronovab
2005-07-18, 11:37 AM
I use Dvd shrink when i want to burm a dvd with Nero. www.dvdshrink.org
Just have it analize the folder and it will burn it for u with no problem

ChezRaleigh
2005-07-18, 11:43 AM
Hi,

I've been using Nero to burn a lot of these DVDs, but every once in a while I'll get a "DVD-Video Files reallocation error...the disc may be unplayable" message. For example, when attempting to burn the Phish 'Dosin at the Knick' (12-9-95) show, I got that error on both discs. I'm wondering if anyone else had trouble burning that show or if there's anything I can do to "fix" the error. I've tried burning anyway the last time I got this error message, but the resulting dvd was unplayable. If anyone could shed some light on this "reallocation error," I'd be very grateful.

Jskibum
2005-07-18, 11:51 AM
From the log file:

Finalize CD : FALSE
Multisession type: : Start multisession

I think this is your problem, you want to finalize CD, no multisession, should have checked the appropriate boxes in the first page or so, the disc will be completed.

Hope this helps, Nero will ultimately be better than Roxio.

Skibum

TheRealMe
2005-07-18, 06:13 PM
Well, I've always used Toast Titanium 6 for my DVD burning and copying. But for almost the last two weeks I've had a strange problem. Whenever I burn a DVD sourced from my hard drive, it always comes up with bit match error during verification (I always do this for good measure). But the thing is, the DVD works just fine. Since this has popped up, I've probably burned around 8 DVDs, all with these weird errors, and all (that I've seen) working alright. It's not a huge problem, but I'd like to actually be able to catch a bad burn when it's there...Toast keeps crying wolf! Any ideas?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I'm using Toast 6.1.1 on OS 10.4.2.

gsmyth79
2005-07-18, 06:21 PM
is the error in the .bup and .ifo files?

ffooky
2005-07-18, 06:34 PM
Do a manual comparison of the two VIDEO_TS folders using Toast's Utilities->Compare function.

Placton
2005-07-18, 08:54 PM
do you have these problems since a system update? install OSX 10.3 on a different partition or external harddisk to test if the error still exists. or try another burn application with 10.4, you can find a few freewares at versiontracker.com

fatoldpig
2005-07-19, 02:17 PM
I think I got this error a while back with Nero. I ignored it and it played fine though in my case. Try using another software.

goodbyefeet
2005-07-19, 03:05 PM
I'm having a problem with nero i download the Trey Atalnta show 2002 and it burned but wont play in dvd player any answers anyone???

goodbyefeet
2005-07-19, 03:07 PM
I'm trying to burn with Nero and it says burning complete but then when i try it on dvd players its not working any answers???

pete's montreux
2005-07-19, 05:10 PM
Maybe if you told us what you are trying to burn, we can be a bit more helpful. Are you trying to burn an audio cd, a VCD, a DVD? Also, which version of the software, and what kind of cd's are you using?

If you're burning DVD's, I wouldn't use Nero.

goodbyefeet
2005-07-19, 08:36 PM
sorry i'm trying to burn a dvd of the Trey show from atlanta 2002
i'm using nero 6.3.0.3 version and using imation dvd+rw's so now can anyone help me lol.

pete's montreux
2005-07-19, 08:42 PM
Use DVD Shrink.

goodbyefeet
2005-07-19, 08:53 PM
what does dvd shrink do exactly

pete's montreux
2005-07-19, 09:02 PM
http://www.dvdshrink.org

walter2
2005-07-19, 11:25 PM
Verification is a bad thing in general with toast, it can make a disc go bad itself, DONT USE IT!

AAR.oner
2005-07-19, 11:31 PM
I'm having a problem with nero i download the Trey Atalnta show 2002 and it burned but wont play in dvd player any answers anyone???
did you burn it as a "data disc" [DVD-ISO] or as a "DVD-Video" disc?

U2Lynne
2005-07-19, 11:33 PM
Verification is a bad thing in general with toast, it can make a disc go bad itself, DONT USE IT!
What? The disc is already burned, how can it go bad?

I always verify, but I haven't had problems at all (yet, knock on wood).

walter2
2005-07-19, 11:45 PM
i dunno, it sounds kinda wierd to me too, but thats what the IT guys at work say, apparently its happened before cause theyre pretty admant about it.

U2Lynne
2005-07-19, 11:51 PM
I'd love to hear their rational on this. If a disc is burned, it's burned. Verification is just reading stuff off of that disc. You aren't changing it. You can't change a burned disc!

But, if you'd care to post their rational, I'd love to hear it.

TheRealMe
2005-07-20, 12:05 AM
is the error in the .bup and .ifo files?

No, it's a mismatch error. It almost always happens within the first 20 bits too.

Do a manual comparison of the two VIDEO_TS folders using Toast's Utilities->Compare function.

That's a good idea. I'll give it a try next time I try to burn a DVD this way.

do you have these problems since a system update?

No, I've had 10.4 for a whlie now, and had no problem. It also did not happen after I updated Toast. Very odd, I know.

But, if you'd care to post their rational, I'd love to hear it.

Yes, I'd like to hear the reasoning behind that belief as well. It doesn't make much sense to me...

Thanks for all the replies so far!

walter2
2005-07-20, 12:16 AM
ill ask why in the morning at work

goodbyefeet
2005-07-20, 03:08 AM
i know but i'm not understanding how this will help??

thisistoto
2005-07-20, 04:14 AM
using imation

there is ur first problem.

Jskibum
2005-07-20, 08:28 AM
Many DVD players won't play RW discs,try it with a -R, they are the most compatible. I am presuming you are playing in standalones.

And Nero works fine for making DVDs from torrents. Shrink is for different purpose.

saltman
2005-07-20, 09:28 AM
DVD shrink converts a higher bitrate/higher storage capacity dvd like a DVD9 (dual layer dvd, dvd+DL) to a "typically" lower bitrate/less storage capacity dvd like a DVD5 (4.7GB dvd+r/dvd-r). then you can burn this file (video_ts) with whatever burning program you want. However, the Atlanta show you are talking about will NOT require this. It is already formated for DVD5 discs. Nero is the software I use and it works great. you just hit the add fiel button, drage the entire Video_ts folder onto the Video_ts folder on the main screen and hit burn. This sounds like a burner/player/media incompatability issue like others have mentioned. you should go to DVDRhelp.com and check for what media/burner/player works best together. it will tell you what media works best with your burner/player for instance. Good luck.

have you put the burned dvd in your computer? is it blank? ro does it have info? if it has info, does it play? if it doesn't have a video_ts and a blank audio_ts in which the video_ts has all the files then you are not using Nero correctly.

goodbyefeet
2005-07-20, 11:00 AM
No i Burned it and came out and i tried to put it in a dvd player and nothing would happen yet i put it in my computer and it read it.

saltman
2005-07-20, 11:05 AM
yeah that sounds like your dvd not being able to properly read the brand/type of media you are using.

goodbyefeet
2005-07-20, 11:18 AM
so what do u think i should use and i'm also using a HP 300c burner.

goodbyefeet
2005-07-20, 11:40 AM
i cant even find my dvd burner on dvdhelp.com guessin have to buy a new onelol

saltman
2005-07-20, 11:46 AM
couldn't find the 300c but here is some info on the 300e... probably an updated model.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters.php?DVDnameid=82&Search=Search&list=2#comments

notice what it can and can't burn. also read some the comments about which players it works or doesn't work with.

hope this helps

goodbyefeet
2005-07-20, 11:54 AM
Ya i looked that up and saw same thing saltman thanz for the help i'm goin to probly buy new burner.I just got this burner from HP too cause one that came with the comp got fired so maybe can see if they'll send me another lol

saltman
2005-07-20, 02:51 PM
just FYI... your burner may good but your dvd player just might not like the discs that are burned with that burner. so switching out either might be the fix.... doesn't nec. have to be the burner.

goodbyefeet
2005-07-20, 05:22 PM
ya tru but i tried it on all my other friends dvd player pretty much 6 to be exact so guessin its the burner

thisistoto
2005-07-20, 07:46 PM
feet, try supermediastore.com

^ they got it all. I highly recommend RiTeck/RiData media, i'll have one coaster for every 200, they are super durable, highly compatible, just overall great media :thumbsup

irishcrazy2005
2005-07-22, 01:05 AM
Thanks for the suggestion Jskibum, but that did not actually fix the problem. I cannot burn any disc with Nero and I actually am also having problems with Roxio now. I will describe each case below.

In Nero I start burning a disc and the used read buffer immediately drops to 0%. Shortly after this it tells me error reading data and then fails.

In Roxio the buffer also dropped immediately to about 1% and then proceeded extremely slowly. I mean the time estimated had gone to over 800 minutes. Then I left and came back about 30 min later and the DVD was done. However it had altered the VOBs on my disc. I'm not sure what to do.

-Phil

P.S. I recently defragged my harddrive with the Windows defrag, but it was unable to defrag several large files. Maybe this is related?

TheRealMe
2005-07-24, 02:26 AM
Well Walter? Can't just leave us hanging...I gotta know! :p

Poster Nutbag 71803
2005-07-24, 09:51 AM
Well, I'm new to thetradersden.org and I just downloaded 4 DVD torrents: Phish 12/9/95, 4/3/98, and 12/2/03 collage and 70vp 5/6/05 and each one is complete. Now I have no idea what to do next to get these onto a DVD. Could someone please walk me through exactly what I have to do now to turn these into DVD's? Any help is appreciated.

(I have a Sony External DVD burning Drive and my burning software is Sonic MyDVD, but it doesn't seem to work properly. I'm looking for some free software that I can use)

Thanks,
Pete

U2Lynne
2005-07-24, 10:24 AM
Did you read this thread that you started before (http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8688)? There are some recommendations in there.

Also, I know for at least the 70vp show, you will need to either shrink it to get it only one DVD or you will need to have a dual layer burner.

burglecutt
2005-07-24, 01:21 PM
I was going to post a new thread for this question but, hey lets try a bit of consolidation. Im also new to DVD torrents, and although I havnt tried burning one yet (due to crappy DvDs my recorder wont read, at least i hope its the DVDs) I can still watch them on WinDVD, but there is one Im killingto watch and I cant. so my question:
Do you need to apply some kind of device to read DVDs advertised as NTSC?

I dL the Garcia Band 93 (NTSC) and the MD5 reads everything is good, but I cant watch it where i have no problems with any other DVD ive D/L!!! It is killingme because I finished the torent after seeing Ryan Adams blunder every Dead song, and I NEEDED to see Jer! Someone please help because every post raves about it. and well, I feel jealous and left out.
Can anyone help?

U2Lynne
2005-07-24, 02:33 PM
Did you forget to take the md5 out of the VIDEO_TS folder when you tried to play it? You might also try another DVD player and see if that works (VLC at videolan.org is good).

irishcrazy2005
2005-07-24, 02:40 PM
I am using the Nero demo right now, and it does in fact burn DVDs. Make sure that you have the latest version and you got it from the official site.

Now, if my stupid computer would stop coastering DVDs.......

irishcrazy2005
2005-07-24, 02:45 PM
An update to this situation, in case anyone can offer some further help. I am still coastering discs left and right (at least I have started using rewritables now though). Nero is constantly giving me the "Error reading data" message and the burning speed on Roxio simply goes to almost nothing and the time remaining shoots to almost infinite.

This problem seemed to be solved for a few hours after using a tool called Perfec t Disc to defrag (which took 10+ hours and it was not even set at its highest mode!), but now we're right back to the same situation. I'm dropping files onto my Rio Karma right now to clear some disc space so that I can run the windows defrag again (it needs 15% free disc space), but last time I did this it simply finshed and told me that several files could not be defragged, and of course they were the large VOBs and FLACs that were the most fragmentated anyway.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Phil

burglecutt
2005-07-24, 03:01 PM
Im sorry I Lynne but I cant get that VCL to work, including those those which play on WinDVD. I think im a lost case here. Im going to go out and buy some better DVD-R and try to rip it, because if I dont have the proper media on my computer to play it, my DVD player should anyway, right? :confused:
Thanks for the help though, dont be surprised to me again when I try to rip it and its fuched. Much appreciation to the mods on here you guys really have your finger on the pules of us idiots out here. :)

burglecutt
2005-07-24, 03:04 PM
Apologize that I speak Typo

U2Lynne
2005-07-24, 03:14 PM
burglecutt, are you making sure that when you start VLC, you hit Open, then Disc tab, then VIDEO_TS folder and then select the VIDEO_TS folder? (At least that is how it is on my Mac).

And burlecutt, we were all new to this at one time. You shouldn't ever feel you can't ask questions and not get some helpful people to try to help you out. At least, that is true here in Technobabble. Don't go into The Lounge though unless you are feeling brave. :D

irishcrazy2005
2005-07-24, 08:40 PM
Another windows defrag down and still 25% fragmentated. Unbelievable! I still can't burn anything.

-Phil

AAR.oner
2005-07-24, 09:31 PM
maybe backup yer HD and do a fresh install of the OS :(

irishcrazy2005
2005-07-24, 09:37 PM
Haha, unfortunately I do not have enough money to get a second hard drive (I have a laptop, so it would have to be external). Thanks for the suggestion however, because I do think that it would work.

However, I did the unthinkable and deleted some stuff that I downloaded. I can now burn again! Hopefully this will last, but we will see.

-Phil

JCsar191
2005-07-25, 10:10 PM
hey, im rather new to this too, i just downloaded the trial versions of nero, and i dont know if it can burn dvds that can play in normal dvd players hooked up to TV. I could be wrong, but i would really appreciate a few pointers from anyone who can help.

AAR.oner
2005-07-26, 08:28 AM
hey, im rather new to this too, i just downloaded the trial versions of nero, and i dont know if it can burn dvds that can play in normal dvd players hooked up to TV. I could be wrong, but i would really appreciate a few pointers from anyone who can help.
it should...select "DVD" and "DVD-Video" as project type...drag *all* of the contents of the show's Video_TS folder [the one you d/led--these will be *.ifo, *.bup, & *.vob files] to the "Video_TS" folder in the project window...then click burn

should be watchable on yer standalone DVD player [unless you have a NTSC player and the show is PAL or viceevrsa [we can approach that if its the case later]

JCsar191
2005-07-26, 09:11 AM
thanks for the help aaroner, but i ended up getting dvdsanta and it works wonderfully. much easier than that of nero.

JCsar191
2005-07-26, 09:17 AM
get dvdsanta dude

agrocrag41
2005-07-26, 12:18 PM
I am brand new to dvd burning (just got a new computer with a dvd drive and haven't actually burnt anything yet), and I've been browsing around to find a good program to use when my torrents from this site finish. I found a lot of reccomendations for DVD Decrypter, but when I went to check out the official site I saw that the guy who made it is in legal trouble. Is it ok to download this still? What's the status right now?

Ted
2005-07-26, 12:54 PM
If he's in legal trouble, I doubt you'll be able to download a legal copy of the program. If you're into using "not so legal" software, I'm sure it can be easily found using Google or your favorite search engine.

agrocrag41
2005-07-26, 01:31 PM
if i have trouble getting dvd decrypter anyone have any reccomendations of other programs for ripping dvds?

Bust
2005-07-26, 01:49 PM
You won't have trouble getting DVD Decrypter.

pmonk
2005-07-26, 02:28 PM
You just won't be able to get the updates anymore so whatever is the latest version is that its!

Too bad - great program.

agrocrag41
2005-07-26, 02:56 PM
do u guys still reccomend dl'ing this? are there other comparable programs out there that aren't under legal scrutiny?

pmonk
2005-07-26, 03:03 PM
Its a great program! Great for ripping DVD and great for ripping just the audio from the DVD!

burglecutt
2005-07-26, 05:41 PM
HEy hey, the VCL is working. Thanks!

burglecutt
2005-07-26, 06:08 PM
Eureka!

silvermorning
2005-07-27, 10:20 AM
I run on a Mac and use Tomato...how do I/what do I use to decode DVD torrents? Thanks.

AAR.oner
2005-07-27, 09:24 PM
you don't need to decode a DVD torrent...a typical show will have atleast #1 below, and probly #2 and #3:

1. "Video_TS" folder, which contains the .ifo, .bup, and .vob files [these are the "movie files"]
2. a checksum [.md5]
3. a info text fie [.txt]

use xACT to verify the checksum, and then use whatever DVD burning program you use to burn DVDs with...use "DVD-Video" [or similar depending on prog] to burn a "watchable" copy, and a data disc ["DVD-ISO"] as yer archiving disc

LastHonestFool03
2005-07-28, 10:34 PM
I know, you all are probably getting tired of answering my noob questions, but please bear with me...

okay, I know the differece b/w DVD r and R/W

and I found out that DVD R+ burn faster, and are basically newer technology, compared to DVD R-

but what is all this dual layer, DVD9 stuff?

again, sorry for the stupid questions

Ted
2005-07-28, 11:56 PM
Dual layer burns on two different layer of ink (I believe). It allows the DVD to have twice the capacity of the other (single layer) DVDs. The "9" refers to the number of GB it can store.

I'm guessing there are either two lasers - one focused on each layer or one laser which focuses on the particular layer that it happens burning.

irishcrazy2005
2005-07-29, 12:54 AM
Ted is almost completely correct here. There are two layers, one which is semi-transparent so that the laser can read the second layer through it. They also read in opposite directions. The switch between layers is why you can notice a slight freeze or pause at a certain point in many movies.

-Phil

frank3si
2005-07-29, 05:23 PM
Hi folks -

I'm new to burning DVDs, but have had success in downloading and burning them with one problem.

I'm using Nero 6 (and under that, NeroVision Express 3 to handle DVDs). But, using Pink Floyd at Live8 as an example, when I bring in the VOB files via "Add Video Files" to the DVD project, I see the actual video files along with what is obviously a menu screen (Pink Floyd-ish graphic, and song titles). However, this menu/title is listed as 0h 00m 00s and when I click "next" to go on Nero states that this file will not be burned to the content because it is empty. I have to delete this file form the list before I can go on. The next screen is where you add menus to the project, but it seems I can only access Nero templates, not the menu that was DL'ed with the video files.

Can anybody point me in the right direction toward getting this menu? Thanks!

Frank

diggrd
2005-07-29, 08:27 PM
Don't use NeroVision that's for authoring DVDs from video files. All the DVDs available here are authored and just need to be burned using Nero or Nero express.

AAR.oner
2005-07-29, 11:31 PM
^^^what diggrd said

--just open Nero Burning ROM
--Select "DVD" as disc type & "DVD-Video" as the project type
--new project will open...navigate to the show's folder on her HD, select *all* the contents of its Video_TS folder, and drag them over to the red "Video_TS" folder in the project window.

burn away...

frank3si
2005-07-30, 08:25 AM
Oooooooooohhh - well, that explains that!

Thanks to both of you, much appreciated!!!

Frank

AAR.oner
2005-07-30, 10:07 AM
no problem...cheers!

irishcrazy2005
2005-07-31, 02:22 AM
So I know that this has been covered numerous times, but for some reason I can't do a search right now (plus I don't remember ever seeing the exact information that I need).

I just recently got a new DVD player (a Panasonic DVD-F87). All of the bootleg DVDs that I already have play fine on it. These were all burned using Roxio Easy CD Creator. I have recently realized that the VOB files were being modified in this process, so I have been looking into Nero lately. I know that there is a problem if you select DVD Video in Nero and it changes the IFO and BUP files. However, I have tried burning discs as ISO, UDF, and UDF/ISO. None of these will play in my DVD player.

My question is this. Is there something that I am doing wrong, and if there is not, is there another program that will allow me to burn DVDs which are not modified but will still play on my standalone? Thanks in advance.

-Phil

rherron
2005-07-31, 05:55 AM
I know that there is a problem if you select DVD Video in Nero and it changes the IFO and BUP files.

I can't help you with your question but I would be interested to know what the problem is with Nero as I have used it exclusively for all of my CD and DVD burning and think it is great. What's it supposedly doing to my BUP and IFO files?

Thanks,
Rob

AAR.oner
2005-07-31, 09:34 AM
Some players will play a ISO or UDF but you need to add an empty Audio_TS folder to the disc...the changes being made to the .ifo and .bup files *do not* affect the quality of the video, actually they don't affect the vido at all...

personally, i archive and trade the original show in data format, with the orig. .ifo/.bup files...but when burning a "watchable copy" [DVD-Video] for myself, i use Nero and don't worry about the changes...you can always make a .md5 of just the .vob files to make sure yer "watchable copy" has no errors. hope that helps

irishcrazy2005
2005-07-31, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the info. I am actually including the AUDIO_TS folder, so that is not the problem. Apparently my new standalone is just picky. I guess that I will just continue to burn as DVD-Video and not worry about the BUPs and IFOs, even though it will fail the original MD5 (which I have no way of keeping on the disc either).

-Phil

LastHonestFool03
2005-07-31, 01:10 PM
where can I find a free DVD ripper? DVD DeCrypter is gone now or whatever, so I cant get that

reason I ask is, for example, I finish DL'ing a show, and after I seed it for the next guy to get it fully pulled, he only seeds for a day n leaves 2 or 3 people about halfway done. At this point, I would pry have it pulled of my hard drive and burned to a DVD, so how would I go about that?

jcrab66
2005-07-31, 01:29 PM
dvd shrink (http://www.dvdshrink.org/) is free....

4candles
2005-07-31, 02:19 PM
where can I find a free DVD ripper? DVD DeCrypter is gone now or whatever, so I cant get that

Firstly, you don't need a DVD ripper for copying torrented DVDs. They are not encrypted, so you can simply copy the files to your hard disk in the same way as you would copy any other files.

But if you want to use DVD Decrypter, you can still easily find copies via google - it's just that no new versions are being released.

dylankirktube
2005-08-02, 02:40 PM
Hi,
I have a Mac G4 with OSX. It has a built-in Pioneer DVD burner. I have downloaded some shows that play perfectly fine on my computer. I am interested in starting to trade shows and I need to figure out how to burn a disc that will play on standard dvd players. I thought that Roxio Popcorn would alleviate my worries. When I open the program and drag in the Video_ts folder it allows me to start the burning process. When finished the DVD-R (Sony) is capaple of being played on other computers, by opening individual VOB files, but not capable of being played on a standard DVD player. I would appreciate if anyone has the patience to answer my noobed out question.
Thank you and keep on growin'

ffooky
2005-08-02, 03:04 PM
Popcorn is really designed to compress DVD9 to DVD5 and I've never tried to burn a disc with it. You're better off with Roxio's burning application Toast.
Recent versions of Toast have an option to burn DVD-Video straight from a valid VIDEO_TS folder, or you can burn a DVD-ROM (UDF) disc with the data tab (Hit "New Disc" first)and Toast will automatically flag it as a DVD-Video.

U2Lynne
2005-08-02, 04:21 PM
For burning DVDs on a Mac: http://u2lynne.sandsmuseum.com/burning.html

I'll try to burn one with Popcorn sometime and then update the page.

paddington
2005-08-02, 05:58 PM
also note that a lot of standalone DVD players require the DVD to perfectly in line with the standard, which would require both VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS, where AUDIO_TS will be empty unless it is a true DVD-A compilation (usually not). You don't use the AUDIO_TS folder at all (the audio is muxed with the mpeg2 video stream data in the VIDEO_TS folder for standard DVD Video), but some players require the blank one for the standard.

So, if your program doesn't add that, you could try creating an empty folder for AUDIO_TS and putting that in the root, as well as your VIDEO_TS folder.

I hope that helps more than it confuses.

cvonw
2005-08-03, 10:19 PM
OK, I've got the downloading part down, but I can't seem to get my DVDs to burn correctly. I'm using ArcSoft Showbiz 2, which came with my PC and is evidently not great. So I downloaded the trial version of DVDSanta, but when I try to add the files I downloaded here I get these messages: "Unsupported audio stream" and "Unable to open the video file of C:(filename)." I tried contacting DVDSanta to figure out what's wrong but they haven't responded.

Lots of people seem to be using Nero, but that's kinda pricey and includes stuff I don't need (I already have CD/photo software). I just want to be able to burn the videos I download to DVD with the minimum of hassles.

I'm new to video downloading (I've been doing BT audio for awhile), and I really want to make this work. I'd be grateful for any help. Thanks!

shnaholic
2005-08-04, 12:12 AM
there are reasons a lot of us use nero. it works well and easily and is very reliable. at least for me it has been. if 60 bucks is too much to pay for a license then im sure you can find a key gen somewhere online. im sure other people here use what they know to work well for them but i have never had one issue with nero. may i also suggest www.videohelp.com it contains very helpful info and may be the place you need to look. it has helped countless dvd burning noobs.

witekk
2005-08-04, 12:32 AM
You can try Burnatonce (http://www.burnatonce.com/). Free and for me 100% reliable.

LastHonestFool03
2005-08-04, 09:15 PM
okay, so let's say I just DL'd a show

then I seed until the next guy completes

then I wanna burn the DVD

I have a DVD burner, but how do I go about making the disc? just click on the folder "disc one" when I'm asked what files I want to burn? or do I burn it file by file, and how do I make sure the files I burn onto the DVD are "in order"...in other words, how do I make sure I burn the menu file where it belongs then vob 1 vob 2, etc, etc, in its place?

Racerx2004
2005-08-05, 01:01 AM
I think you can download a free trial version of nero,Just go to nero.com and search for it, It works great., And is so easy to use.

feralicious
2005-08-05, 02:30 AM
Nero isn't the best for burning DVDs as it changes the .bup files so it will no longer match your md5 if you have one.

I'm very happy with Sonic's RecordNow. It also allows you to put artwork, txt and md5 files outside the VIDEO_TS folder which I like.

AAR.oner
2005-08-05, 07:10 AM
what OS are you on?
what program do you use to burn DVD's with?

shnaholic
2005-08-05, 09:21 AM
there are lots of "how to" sections at www.videohelp.com maybe read up on things there and practice awhile.

cvonw
2005-08-05, 09:22 AM
Thanks for all the advice. After checking out some online forums, I'm still leery of Nero--seems like you either love it or hate it, and the latter category mainly involves bugs and lack of tech support. Also, it does seem to be "bloatware" in terms of my needs. Again, I just want to be able to burn the video files I download from this site to DVD. Looks like you can get Nero 6 for cheap on e-bay, though.

I do wish I could get DVD Santa to work as it looks easy to use and doesn't have all the stuff I don't need. Could my problem be that I don't have the proper codecs installed?

Feralicious, not sure what you mean by Nero's conversion of .bup files so they no longer match my md5 (newbie, remember?). I do have RecordNow already loaded on my PC, so maybe I'll try that. Didn't realize you could use it for burning downloaded files to DVD (I've been using it for CD burning with good results).

Thanks again for the help.

guygee
2005-08-05, 09:35 AM
If you are running Windows (2000 or XP) I would highly recommend against Roxio products for burning archive data DVDs (like your flac and shn files). I burned some DVDs using Roxio 6.x "Platinum Edition" over a year ago, since Roxio Basic came with the Plextor drive I was using at the time,then I got out of trading/torrenting for awhile. When I burned the DVDs, I used all of their settings so that supposedly the DVD would be readable on other (older) DVD players. In the interim, I had several disk crashes, went through some motherboards, etc. When I finally got my computer situation stabilized, I found that the DVDs I burned using Roxio were unreadable, both on my new Sony DRU-800 and on my cheap laptop DVD drive. I bought Nero and it still wouldn't read the Roxio-burned DVDs. I bought DVDInfoPro and it could see the multi-session data, but it could not recover the data. Worse, I wrote Roxio (with valid order# and registratiion key) so that they would reactivate my download link for their product that I paid for, and they refuse to answer my emails. Finally, with disgust, I got my hands on another copy of Roxio Basic, and recovered the data from the DVDs.
Summary: Roxio support is terrible, and it seems Roxio-burned data DVDs can only be read by Roxio (from my experience).
Recommendation: Use Nero (or other), and be careful not to burn multisession (Nero warns you on this).