PDA

View Full Version : DVD Burning Problems?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

overlordprod
2006-02-10, 12:44 PM
Just drag and drop all the files you download into the VIDEO_TS folder in Nero or Roxio, and burn. I don't see why you are getting another menu from the programs itself. You might want to check your settings to see if there is some sort of generate menue setting. But a far as Nero 6 Ultra, I never had this problem.

AAR.oner
2006-02-10, 12:59 PM
what type of os are you running [windows, mac osx, linux]?
what program do you usually use to burn DVDs [nero, roxio, etc...]?

Shakes
2006-02-10, 01:01 PM
Are you opening Nero through Nero Burning Rom, or Nero Xpress? Every one seems to use Xpress for some stupid reason when Nero Burning Rom (selecting it from the start menu) should bring it up for you and burn a normal DVD. And just overlord said, I've never had this problem with Nero.

AAR.oner
2006-02-10, 01:11 PM
always use Nero Burning ROM...*not* nero express, etc...

to burn a "watchable" copy [i.e. on yer home dvd player]:
--open Nero Burning ROM
--select "DVD-Video" as yer project type
--drag *all* of the files in the show's Video_TS folder [.ifo, .bup, & .vob files] to the RED Video_TS folder in the project window.
--burn

to burn a "data disc" [which is what you'll want to use for archiving & trading]:
--open Nero Burning ROM
--select "DVD-ROM [ISO/UDF]" as yer project type
--drag the entire show's folder to the project window [including the Video_TS folder, info text, the .md5 checksum, artwork, etc]
--burn

funkymeterjosh
2006-02-10, 02:04 PM
the meters show I just downloaded to the VLC media player to a DVD disc? Id like to take it off my PC and burn unto a Dsc for play on my DVD player at home? What program converts this from the VLC player to a disc? Also what kind of disc do I use CDR? or blank DVD?

Thanks,
Josh

AAR.oner
2006-02-10, 02:49 PM
VLC is just a viewer, it doesn't burn DVDs...you'll need a burning program [such as Nero on PC, or Toast on Mac] to burn a DVD-Video...

what OS are you on? [windows, mac osx, etc]
what burning programs do you have/use to burn cds & dvds with?

armstron
2006-02-10, 03:10 PM
thanks for the help with Nero. I *think* I have it figured out. I was using the "Nero Smart Start" icon that was put on my desktop. That is where the project creation screen gets in the way. Was able to find Nero Burning Rom thru the good 'ole start menu....

appreciate the quick responses.

Regards,
Craig

funkymeterjosh
2006-02-10, 03:22 PM
Okay... I have windows XP
To burn discs I have roxio DVD builder, I also have real audio.Windows etc.. Thanks for your help in advance..
Josh

AAR.oner
2006-02-10, 03:39 PM
if you have Roxio, i think you use the regular burning prog, *not* DVD Builder...the DVDs at this site have already been "built"...

i'm not familiar w/ Roxio's programs, but hopefully one of the other regulars around here will be able to help you with more specific details...

funkymeterjosh
2006-02-10, 03:48 PM
awesome. So I would just drag the downloaded movie into disc copier? put disc in cd rom and burn? also what kind of disc should I use so that it plays on my dvd player at home..
Thanks,
Josh

AAR.oner
2006-02-10, 04:44 PM
you'll need to burn the DVD show to a DVDR disc using yer DVD burner drive...a cd-rom drive can't burn dvdr's...also, some standalone DVD players will only play DVD-R, some DVD+R, and some both depending on make/model

TheMamba
2006-02-10, 06:51 PM
what type of os are you running [windows, mac osx, linux]?
what program do you usually use to burn DVDs [nero, roxio, etc...]?

Where's that DVD burning guide? :lol

AAR.oner
2006-02-10, 06:56 PM
ummm...uhhhhh...yeaaaahhhhhhh :rolleyes: :lol

TheMamba
2006-02-10, 07:20 PM
ummm...uhhhhh...yeaaaahhhhhhh :rolleyes: :lol

It's only funny because it seems that everytime we bring it up...we get a flood of these type threads!

thisistoto
2006-02-10, 08:09 PM
You guys have guides for everything else, yet you still get bombed with questions about it :lol

magillagorilla
2006-02-10, 08:24 PM
Or on ROXIO 7 choose Disc Copier. On Source choose the selection "Disc Image or DVD-Video Folder". Select the Video_TS folder that contains your DVD and press OK. Then you should be able to select your DVD burner as the target drive. Burn and done.

micenzo
2006-02-11, 04:54 AM
Im really sorry. Is there such a guide? Ill look for it.. Oh I use nero - the latest... Its just I have never worked with dvd burner before... and I have already fucked up some media while trying to do so...

I got it in VIDEO_TS folder. is it fine just to burn that one out in a dvd data mode? Im going to search somewhere...

TheMamba
2006-02-11, 06:43 AM
micenzo, don't worry about it. Aar.oner has been working on a guide for a little while. Just a mod joke I guess. Anyhow, back to the matter at hand:

--open Nero Burning ROM
--drag *all* of the files in the show's Video_TS folder [.ifo, .bup, & .vob files] to the RED Video_TS folder in the project window.
--burn

to burn a "data disc" [which is what you'll want to use for archiving & trading]:
--open Nero Burning ROM
--drag the entire show's folder to the project window [including the Video_TS folder, info text, the .md5 checksum, artwork, etc]
--burn

micenzo
2006-02-11, 09:03 AM
:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
Im not home now, but Ill be the next week and will burn out like a madman :-) Its the ARMS show, great stuff

Thank you mamba :wave:

81tiger04
2006-02-11, 06:00 PM
i just got a new imac g5 and downloaded my first video torrent. i then d/l the trial version of nero 7 but when i double click on the "Nero-7.0.5.4_eng.exe" file, it asks to choose an application to open the file. what do i do???

diggrd
2006-02-11, 06:30 PM
[Nero 7] System Requirements

General SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS Microsoft® Windows 98/98SE/Me, Windows 2000 (Service Pack 4 or later), Windows XP, Windows 2003 Server (Service Pack 1 or later), MCE 2004 / 2005 Microsoft®

http://www.roxio.com/en/products/toast/index.jhtml

gsmyth79
2006-02-11, 07:05 PM
Toast is the best program for burning DVDs on a Mac.

thisistoto
2006-02-11, 07:25 PM

werd.

AAR.oner
2006-02-11, 08:35 PM
:thumbsup

81tiger04
2006-02-11, 09:10 PM
is there a free trial version??

AAR.oner
2006-02-11, 09:29 PM
i don't think so...but its well worth the $70 though

cmrf5d1a
2006-02-13, 02:44 PM
Ok folks,
I downloaded my first show(Peter Rowan and Tony Rice) and watched it on WinDVD. Now, using roxio MyDvd, version 6, that came with my new PC, everytime I try to add or drag a file to the dvd creator I get the following message "Runtime error:number_of_programs out of range -3". I have no idea what this message means. all I know is that it wont let me burn. Can anyone offer some help? I've checked the forum for other "downloading" issues but didn't find this one.
Peace :wave:

thisistoto
2006-02-13, 02:56 PM
Dont use any of those automated Roxio programs. Just do a simple dvd video. Then drage the entire VIDEO_TS folder to the disc.

cmrf5d1a
2006-02-13, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the quick responce but I'm a bit confused. This is the only program I have on my PC (roxio) and going into the creator is the only way I see to make the disc. what am I missing?

phishy13
2006-02-13, 08:41 PM
so i finally went out and bought a pc. i got an HP Pavilion with Windows Media. i just downloaded my 1st show. i have the video_ts and went into the media center, right clicked on the file where it saved and went to create dvd/cd. put in my blank dvd and it burned for all of 7 min. when i put it in my dvd player downstairs it was just a menu screen where it had the serial pod title in the upper left corner and windows logo in the upper right but it wasn't the dvd or anything like that. what am i doing wrong. how do i have to do it so that i can burn the acutal dvd. please help me;. thanks

thisistoto
2006-02-13, 10:08 PM
first off dont burn using windows media center. Use an actual burning program (ie roxio or nero)

You have to make sure you burn as VIDEO DVD, not data.

phishy13
2006-02-13, 11:05 PM
well if i bought a pc with a dvd burner, there has to be a program on here that i can use as is, rather then spending more money. i just don't understand why i can watch the dvd perfect on the pc and access the menu and chapters but it isn't burning right.

diggrd
2006-02-13, 11:11 PM
You must have another burning program or do you have the Deluxe version that creates CDs also. I think the way you need to go with this POS software is import a DVD created by another program.

U2Lynne
2006-02-13, 11:27 PM
What are the other options you get when you go to burn it? It sounds like you just burned a Data DVD (what you would do to archive the show or to archive a bunch of documents or shn/flac files), not a Video DVD (which is what your DVD player will want).

diggrd
2006-02-13, 11:45 PM
Microsoft did not want you to be able to easily make DVDs their friends in the entertainment world would be upset, seems you are not alone with this problem. Though I would think there is a way since the burning engine is the same as Roxio.
http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=62499

I found MCE to be nothing more than a fancy menu system sitting on top of XP Home, making it unable to connect to a proper network like XP Pro why I wouldn't want my media center to connect to my server and the rest of my network I can't understand but that's MS for you.

diggrd
2006-02-14, 12:04 AM
The latest "rollup" ? seems to have some DVD burning related improvements.
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=912067

cmrf5d1a
2006-02-14, 09:26 AM
Thanks, ya I do have the delux version that also makes CDs. Jeez, i hate to go out and buy another burning software but i guess I have no other alternative. got any recomendations??

thisistoto
2006-02-14, 01:30 PM
You computer didnt come with any other burning program? It should of, I bought a pc for my mom that had windows media center on it and it still came with roxio (systemax)

saltman
2006-02-14, 01:57 PM
Thanks, ya I do have the delux version that also makes CDs. Jeez, i hate to go out and buy another burning software but i guess I have no other alternative. got any recomendations??

I still use Nero. I like it the best. There are MANY alternatives. It may be possible to download a trial version to see if you like it.

milesp
2006-02-14, 04:04 PM
i have been having this same problem, however my burning software is Sonic DigitalMedia Plus v7. anyone use this software a know how to get around the create a menu option?

cmrf5d1a
2006-02-14, 04:35 PM
thisistoto, you are correct, I do have windows media center that will play the show however when i go to create a DVD it doesn't recognize the file. I'm lost on this one.

TheMamba
2006-02-14, 07:15 PM
Everyone....do yourselves a favor. Go out and buy the latest version of Nero. $70 or whatever....it will save you a lot of hassle and is well worth the $70 it's running.

diggrd
2006-02-14, 07:58 PM
i have been having this same problem, however my burning software is Sonic DigitalMedia Plus v7. anyone use this software a know how to get around the create a menu option?
Not sure how it's done but Sonic claims

Media Flexibility - DigitalMedia is compatible with video data from virtually any source, from the latest DV camera to decades-old Beta home movie tapes. You can even import video from DVDs created using other DVD burning programs.

jishman
2006-02-19, 08:40 PM
I just got this program in the mail, but I can't figure out how to burn the video files I downloaded (ie phish shows). I've looked at the NERO Burning ROM guide, but it isn't much help. Can anyone point me to an FAQ site, or guide me through how to use nero startsmart?

thisistoto
2006-02-19, 11:56 PM
start nero rom.

go to the tab that says dvd.

select DVD VIDEO

it automatically makes a video ts folder, just dump the entire contents of the video ts folder of the show you downloaded in there.

jishman
2006-02-20, 08:25 PM
I don't believe this software has NERO ROM...at least I can't find it. Can anyone help out this clueless tech noob?

thisistoto
2006-02-20, 08:49 PM
nero burning rom is the basic program without the shitty guides.

TheMamba
2006-02-20, 09:02 PM
Are you talking about startsmart of neroexpress?

Start Smart...there should be a list of programs available on the left hand side. Find Burning Rom and go from there, like toto suggested.

Neroexpress...upper right...select DVD from the drop down. Then you're going to want to select "DVD-Video Files" > Add > select the Video_TS folder

wokyft31188
2006-02-20, 09:49 PM
I just got the Moe. 1-19-06 show, its like 8 gigs. I was wondering if any one could help me burn it to dvd. Im running a mac mini with toast 7 as the burning prog. any help would be sweet. I also dont have a duel-layer burner and asume that would be the only way to burn it
peace

U2Lynne
2006-02-20, 10:10 PM
I think you can use DVD2one to shrink the DVD and then burn it with Toast. Check out videohelp.org. They may have a guide/tutorial over there on how to do it.

AAR.oner
2006-02-21, 02:16 AM
you can select the "auto compression" option in toast 7...it'll automatically shrink it to DVD5

partyboy7903
2006-02-21, 08:52 PM
How do you turn the VOB files and all that into a dvd that works on normal DVD or computer players? I've got roxio easy media creator 7 if that helps? Please help me???

thisistoto
2006-02-22, 01:29 AM
just go to make a video dvd and drop the video_ts folder into the dvd project.

diggrd
2006-02-22, 10:17 AM
I have Roxio 8 and in order to burn pre-authored DVDs like the one on this site you need to use Disc Copier and choose the folder as the source. I don't know why there are good features in Toast that are not duplicated in EasyMediaCreator, or for that matter why some good features in EMC 7 were dropped in EMC 8?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/diggrd/stg/emc8.jpg

wokyft31188
2006-02-23, 10:14 PM
thanks a bunch the two of you

ill give those a shot

willndmb
2006-02-24, 01:16 PM
imo we should not support this kinda of stuff
if you ask me its the same as taking wavs and compressing them to mp3

so for your own personal use cool but please do not ever trade it with anyone

STLBlues
2006-02-24, 04:14 PM
You don't have to shrink a DVD9 to a DVD5 w/ DVD Shrink...it can separate the show over 2 discs. You can click Re-Author, drag the main title(s) over to the left, then click on the chapter box, and cut it in half. This process takes out the menu, but the movie, etc. will be uncompressed.

m4p
2006-02-27, 05:51 PM
say its an avi file thats 700mb, it takes me 2 hours+ any tips to reduce the time?

diggrd
2006-02-27, 07:48 PM
The burning is not what is taking so long, converting avi to mpeg is the bottleneck. First of all I would not be letting my burning software do the conversion. There are so many variables that can affect the speed but, 1.5 to 2 X the length of avi to convert to mpeg is pretty fast.

bkm669
2006-02-28, 08:32 PM
Does anyone know how to record a dvd that says it has chaptering. But when you go to transcode it, Nero asks you " do you want to merge these files?". If you do, you can't skip tracks on the finished version and if you don't you've got all the files that have been split :hmm: that you have to choose from on your screen?

diggrd
2006-03-01, 03:41 AM
Is there a reason you are transcoding the DVD? You should not be using Nerovision to burn a pre-authored DVD. Just use Nero Burning Rom or Nero Express.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/diggrd/nerobr.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/diggrd/nerox.jpg

aikox2
2006-03-02, 05:47 PM
I have noticed that on the past three dual-layer discs I burned with Nero 7 Ultra Edition, I can skip forward or back through chapters, and I can fast-forward through chapters, but if I rewind a track, as soon as it gets to the beginning of the track I am rewinding, it then starts jumping from track to track, rather than rewinding through the next previous track; the rewind button effectively changes to a previous track button as soon as it hits the track boundary.

Pretty weird.

Does anyone know why if this is specific to Nero, why it does this, or a fix?

Any suggestions?

Thanks for any feedback.

Aiko

Suzanne
2006-03-03, 08:20 AM
I noticed that when I try and rewind on a DVD-9 created with Nero that it gets stuck at chapter breaks, you can't get back to a previous scene without actually skipping back to the previous chapter and fast forwarding. It doesn't actually start skipping chapters like you said, but problems all the same.

I've found the best way to burn DVD-9 is to rip an ISO using dvd_decrypter and then burn that ISO using dvd_decrypter. Or, if the movie itself is only 5-6GB, I'll just shrink it down and burn a dvd-5. Haven't had any problems with DVD-9s since. Now if only the prices on the media would drop....

scifreak69
2006-03-03, 08:51 AM
i use sonic for dvds
here the QUESTION
when i try and burn some shows under 4 gb i have to split 2 cd
and good instance is the clapton that just went up
is thier some type of setting that i need to use
this does not happen all the time
any help
thanks for the time and energy

milesp
2006-03-05, 06:52 PM
Alright so I just burned a show to dvd. The person who made it, created menu's and such, so I just drag and drop all of the files to burn it. The first set worked fine on a single layer dvd-r. The second set is too long, so it must be burned to a dual layer. When I put the dual layer disc into a home dvd player, there is no menu, just the default SAMSUNG DVD screen. However, the disc still plays and I can move the cursor across the screen to choose tracks as if there was a menu. Its like the menu is there, but the image isn't being projected on the screen.

I then burned half of the second set to a single layer dvd. The menu is fine, everything plays fine except the last couple of tracks which I left off.

Has anyone ever ran into this before?

nuclear_dj
2006-03-06, 12:32 AM
I'm having an extremely frustrating problem. I've got a show that I've burned multiple ways, and I can't come up with a disc that my DVD player will read. I thought I beat this problem when I installed Nero 7. I first had this with an SCI show that I was trying to burn with Sonic Solutions. I used the same approach with Nero, and succeeded. This time I've wasted a small pile of blanks trying to burn a Devildriver show. I followed the above directions perfectly, but now I'm out of options. Should I try a DVD-R instead of a +R? Neither of my burning programs work. Any ideas?

thisistoto
2006-03-06, 01:39 AM
Do you get errors during the burning? Or just cant watch them on a stand alone player? Does your burner do +R?

AAR.oner
2006-03-06, 06:08 AM
could be the discs...what kind of discs are they? also check yer standalone's manual for DVD+/-R compatability...

also, with Nero, what kind of disc are you burning [DVD-Video, DVD-ROM (ISO), etc, etc]?

if you've followed the steps below and it still won't work, i'm guessing its a media compatability problem, or just bad media.

--open Nero Burning ROM
--burn

nuclear_dj
2006-03-06, 08:35 AM
I just finished a spindle of Memorex +Rs. I'd already made about a dozen good shows just making data discs using either Nero express or Sonic. Last night, I broke into a spindle of Fujis, and am still having this problem. It's happening on more than one show, now. I've got at least four shows that I can't burn into viewable media. I'm gonna try the same discs in a different DVD player today, and maybe try burning a show with a different pc to see if my burner's the problem.

willndmb
2006-03-06, 11:42 AM
i have had dvds that you couldn't see the menu but could see the button move around---others had the same disc, some even got it from me and it worked fine--i think it might have to do with the software used to author the disc/player compatability

on the other hand was the disc originally a dual layer disc?
one type, i think -r can hold more info then the other, try burning on a -r disc if you are using +r or vice versa

milesp
2006-03-06, 04:53 PM
the show is moe. 01-19-2006. i got it from a torrent, so there was no original disc. i burned it onto a Fuji Film DVD+R Double Layer. i can still watch the disc, but the only problem is the ghost menu. i might try a dvd-r dual layer but it's tough when theyre 5 bucks a pop. thanks for the input.

nuclear_dj
2006-03-06, 08:07 PM
Well, I may have solved my problem. I just burned disc one of a Gov't Mule show that hadn't worked. This time, I used a Memorex DVD-R instead of a +, and it works in my shitty Apex DVD player, as well as a PS2. I only rolled the dice on a three-pack, so I won't know about my other shows until I get a spindle. My burner will handle all types of DVD media. Now, how can I figure out from the start which kind of disc I'll need to succeed on the first attempt? I'm not cool with wasting discs the way I have been this last week. Anyone?

willndmb
2006-03-07, 11:00 AM
is it set 1? set onwe is 4.26gb you shouldn't need a DL
ok i found set 2 that def needs DL
hmmmmm

Einar
2006-03-07, 06:26 PM
Hi there, could anyone please tell me where I can find some good free dvd-burning software...?? I have been using dvd-shrink for cracking and writing the discs, but it´s become totally fuct-up and unusable. I tried reinstalling and still the same problems. I´ve been using nero as a backup, but nero can´t crack dvds... I´d be thankful if y´all could help me out... Thanks!! :)

TheMamba
2006-03-07, 07:40 PM
What are you trying to do? Copy a DVD from a trade or something?

Just open up windows explorer and copy the VIDEO_TS folder and its contents to your hard drive. Then burn it...

Chuffer
2006-03-09, 03:36 PM
So recently I have been getting discs with flaws...For instance, the pink floyd The Wall disc does not have audio for the first two songs, and the interview at the end has no video. The clifford ball special has what sounds like a tape being fast forwarded for audio in the first half of it.

How can I determine what is going wrong and why? I am using a dell inspirion 1100. The data is coming from a external HD. and the burner is an external LG. (the burner is about 2.5 years old, the HD 3 months) The software I use is shit LG software called power producer. The burns take multiple hours. Well it creates folders for multiple hours then burns real fast. The media is high quality Ridata.

How do I go about pinpointing the problem?

Chuffer
2006-03-10, 07:27 AM
anyone?

yeltzin_4
2006-03-10, 07:50 AM
The software I use is shit LG software called power producer. The burns take multiple hours. Well it creates folders for multiple hours then burns real fast. The media is high quality Ridata.

It looks like your software is the problem. If you already have DVD compliant files (ie. you downloaded them from TheTradersDen or DimeADozen) then you're ready to burn and should only take 15 minutes to burn at 4X and even less for 8X or 16X.

Do you have any other burning software on your PC? Nero would be my recommendation. You can download a trial version from www.nero.com to see if it works with your system.

There is free software out there that will also work, but I'll leave recommendations to other posters.

TheMamba
2006-03-10, 07:54 AM
Spend the few bucks and get the complete Nero burning program. It's worth it and you'll be using it all the time.

The only other thing I can think of is that your computer is having to transfer data from an external HD, to the internal drive, and back out to an external writer. That's a lot of transferring and every transfer lends itself to errors...especially when burning on the fly like that.

If I were you, I would first copy whatever I wanted to burn from the external hard drive to the internal hard drive and THEN burn. See if that helps out at all.

Chuffer
2006-03-10, 09:07 AM
I was leaning towards the software issue myself. And I have thought about the multi transfer issue as well. I will try some of your recomendations. Thanks for your input :wave: I appreciate it greatly :D

the_jack
2006-03-11, 02:09 PM
I just finished downloading acdc 1977-1978 with bon scott and was wondering how to burn it onto a DVD.

Any help?

TheMamba
2006-03-11, 02:34 PM
Moved this to Technobabble.

Do you have a DVD burner?
What software do you have?

the_jack
2006-03-11, 03:51 PM
I have a DVD/CD burner, i just dont know what software to use or how to do it.
B/c most of the DVD burning software clones from one DVD and backs it up to the DVD-R and all i have are the files, such as VIDEO_TS.

And is there a free way to do it?

Thanks

AAR.oner
2006-03-11, 05:43 PM
what software do you have? do you have Nero, Roxio, etc etc...?

the_jack
2006-03-11, 06:25 PM
I have a trial version of Nero.

TheMamba
2006-03-11, 07:16 PM
That will work fine:

--open Nero Burning ROM
--burn

--open Nero Burning ROM
--burn

Also, my advice is to spend the $$ and get the full version of Nero.

the_jack
2006-03-11, 09:38 PM
ok, Thanx
that worked.

dibs
2006-03-12, 11:11 PM
I recently combined 2 sets of a show (6.6 gigs) to burn on my new dual layer burner using Dvd shrink. I didn't realize it was set to shrink the dvd to 4.7 gigs automically. Then I watched it, and didn't really notice too much of a quality difference. I was just wondering if there really would be a noticable difference if I burned the whole show shrinked to fit on a regular dvd-r?

thisistoto
2006-03-13, 12:10 AM
Depends how anal you are. There is always going to be SOME loss of quality in compression, its not always that noticable. If you plan on trading it, I would make a note of the compression.

AAR.oner
2006-03-13, 12:23 PM
for personal use, no worries...with live shows, only occasionally will you notice any loss of quality using dvd shrink

for archiving & trading, DO NOT use the "shrunk" version...always trade with the original version, even if that means burning two discs instead of one

thisistoto
2006-03-13, 01:12 PM
^ example of someone who is extremely anal ^

AAR.oner
2006-03-13, 01:56 PM
:roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :thumbsup

LocalHero
2006-03-13, 06:42 PM
Please always remember to take quality seriously. :) :clap:

krock99
2006-03-14, 05:53 AM
What does this message mean and how do I fix it. Trying to burn Phish 8-29-92. All files are there using xp and full nero version. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

TheMamba
2006-03-14, 06:16 AM
I know this has come up before, try looking through these threads:

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/search.php?searchid=291717

Seems most people were still able to watch the DVD on their computer or stand alone DVD player.

krock99
2006-03-14, 06:40 AM
I was not able to play on stand alone player. went through the burning process after the warning just to see and the sony dvd player did not even read the disc. Thanks for the help!!

thisistoto
2006-03-14, 09:04 AM
Everytime I get that message it plays fine in all my players.

saltman
2006-03-14, 02:54 PM
Everytime I get that message it plays fine in all my players.

That is my experience.... I've probably burned 100 discs that said this and they all worked.

aikox2
2006-03-15, 11:35 AM
When I burn a dual-layer disc, either with Nero or DVD Decryptor, the discs burn with no errors, and they play fine to a point, but then they start to freeze and cause playback problems.

It seems that the problems start after the amount of data that would fill a DVD5 (4,464); If I combine two discs, the first disc material, and some of the second might play well.

For example: I d/l'ed a Genesis two DVD5 set, a concert and some filler. The concert was split, and I wanted to put the entire concert on a DVD9.

I burned the original discs, and they play fine; I then reauthored using TMPGEnc, and the new fileset was about 5.5 gig. I burned with DVD Decryptor, and the last 20 minutes start to freeze!

Any ideas? Could it be my burner sucks at burning dual-layer, or is it a s/w issue or media issue?

FWIW, I have no problems with DVD5. I use Imation discs for DVD5, for the DVD9 I used Verbatim and Memorex.

FWIW, I had another issue burning dual layer with Nero:

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18892

but it was suggested to use Decryptor, and that seemed to resolve the problem at the time, but now I am having this new issue.

It also seemed like the Memorex sucked, but I have had this new problem with the Verbatim as well.

Thanks for any feedback,
Aiko

chicubs
2006-03-16, 03:48 PM
I'm trying to burn my first DVD show with Sonic. There are 5 .vob files in the parent folder. Am I supposed to put all five of those .vob files on the disc? When I try to do that it is way too big to fit on the disc. I looked in the FAQs and couldn't find the info I was looking for. Any help for a newbie DVD burner would be greatly appreciated!

range_hood
2006-03-17, 11:28 AM
When I burn a dual-layer disc, either with Nero or DVD Decryptor, the discs burn with no errors, and they play fine to a point, but then they start to freeze and cause playback problems.

Where - standalone DVD or PC-dvd - does the problem appear?

aikox2
2006-03-17, 11:35 AM
Standalone. FWIW, the Memorex media suck and fail consistently. The Verbatim work much better, but still seem to balk at times. I don't know if it's the media, the software, the burner or some combination of the above.

Thanks,
Aiko

range_hood
2006-03-17, 12:14 PM
Have you tried lowering the burn speed?

aikox2
2006-03-17, 12:29 PM
burning at 2.4, which seems to be the only speed the burner wants to use for dual-layer. I can manually set it to 1 or 2, but 2.4 seems to be the one it should use.
Thanks,
Aiko

range_hood
2006-03-17, 12:47 PM
Do you have the newest firmware for your burner?
Are you a smoker?
A friend of mine got messed up his dvd-drive by lots of smoke and not opening the windows (over months) > (lens cleaner?)

diggrd
2006-03-17, 02:46 PM
I'm trying to burn my first DVD show with Sonic. There are 5 .vob files in the parent folder. Am I supposed to put all five of those .vob files on the disc? When I try to do that it is way too big to fit on the disc. I looked in the FAQs and couldn't find the info I was looking for. Any help for a newbie DVD burner would be greatly appreciated!
you need to use Disc Copier and choose the folder as the source, this is Roxio but same should be true for Sonic

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/diggrd/stg/emc8.jpg

aikox2
2006-03-17, 04:33 PM
Yes, latest firmware; and no, not a smoker.

I am burning my latest dual-layer d/l as I type this. I will let you know how it goes. This will be on Verbatim. The last Verbatim D/L I burned worked. Fingers crossed. I am convinced that Memorex suck. The only reason I got them was the lack of choice in d/l media in the stores I checked. I guess online is the way to go for d/l media.

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep 'em, coming.

Aiko

aikox2
2006-03-17, 08:28 PM
Well, that one burned just fine. Looking more and more like it was the media. I will have to wait till I burn my next dual-layer for more study data ; )

Aiko

stardude
2006-03-18, 02:27 PM
Is there an EAC for DVD ripping? I have been using dvdshrink to rip dvd's, and just leaving it set to "no compression".

Are the ripped video_ts files ever identical to the ones downloaded from a torrent? (I doubt it). What I'm getting at is can you jump on a torrent to help seed a show, when you have burned and then ripped the files?

Thanks for answers.

Five
2006-03-18, 03:21 PM
the DVDs here are non-encrypted region-free. You can just copy them by dragging the VIDEO_TS folder onto your computer. check the md5s whenever you make a copy.

As for if the ripped video_ts folder being identical or not, you can check that using md5... see the "checksums demystified" link in my signature. But like I said before, you can just skip the whole dvdshrink step for the DVDs offered here.

kevincme
2006-03-18, 07:52 PM
Don't mean to thread jack - but The Mamba, for DVD trading data discs are the preferred format? I was going to start burning off the DVDs I've downloaded but did not think about that. A little bit like Audio/SHN trades?

TheMamba
2006-03-18, 08:34 PM
I personally archive them as data for future trading - that way I can put the txt, md5, artwork, etc. files all onto one disc (yes I know you can do the EXTRA_TS trick, but I don't...Lynne talks about it in this thread: http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18162&highlight=EXTRA_TS). Think Aar.oner does the same thing that I do.

There are also people that burn them as watchable DVD's and then just copy them later on for trading...

Maybe Aaron and I are just weird... :lol

Five
2006-03-19, 01:34 AM
I am now using the EXTRAS_TS system! it works great!! :thumbsup :thumbsup

the best of both worlds

there are instructions in the "checksums demystified" link in my sig... check it out, everyone!

stardude
2006-03-19, 07:48 PM
Thanks. I hadn't guessed that it would be that easy!

branagin
2006-03-21, 02:44 PM
Hello, recently over the past 3 weeks every video bt i download here wont burn in nero anymore, for some reason the files are creating backup movie info and stuff, Ive been doing this for a few years and never had this problem untill the other day. I use AZ 2.4.0.2. Is there something I need to change? I tried using ABC and same thing happens, it creates these backup files also and It wont burn with nero. I have about 6 shows waiting to be burned, does anyone know which are the correct files to select to still burn these. Any help would be great, thanks

saltman
2006-03-21, 04:14 PM
not sure I understand. What file extension are the files you are trying to burn. A DVD typically can only have .bup .ifo and .vob. Anything else will not be recognized.

branagin
2006-03-21, 05:00 PM
yeah, I know that, when I download a show here. It creates these backup info files in the folder along with the vob, bup, ifo. Here I attached a screenshot of the files in the folder. This is what AZ does to each show now that I download. This wasnt like this a few weeks ago, so i dont know what went wrong. I have tried to select jsut a few of these files to put into Video_ts but it doesnt work. IF anyone can tell me what ones to selct to be able to burn would be great, also how to fix this. I hope this helped, if you need more info to help me let me know I will do what I can.

saltman
2006-03-21, 05:08 PM
Is that a complete fileset? Sometimes clients have settings to reserve the space before or after download. For instance bitcomet if you set it to not reserve the space... it will create a .bc! extension untill it completes then it changes to a .vob etc. Maybe your AZ is setup to not reserve the space so it does this temporarily?

U2Lynne
2006-03-21, 05:19 PM
Take a look at that list with the file extensions on. BUPs are backup files of the IFOs and you are supposed to have both (they are exactly the same file only with a different extension). Are you sure that isn't what you have there?

branagin
2006-03-21, 06:32 PM
Take a look at that list with the file extensions on. BUPs are backup files of the IFOs and you are supposed to have both (they are exactly the same file only with a different extension). Are you sure that isn't what you have there?

For some reason, starting a few weeks ago, it started creating all these files when i click to download a torrent. It started doing it when I updated AZ from 2.3 to 2.4.0.2, IM wondering if this is the issue. I have tried to select just the files, not the backup ones and put into nero and it wont burn. I have uninstalled AZ, and put back on 2.4, I dont have the older version anymore, to test that. The only thing I have done in the last few weeks was install Norton, but I have removed it and still the problem exists. I am just lost to why this is happening, and noone else has had this issue. well tahnk you all so far, but maybe any more info would help. I am goign to try a few other things, but I dont know.

U2Lynne
2006-03-21, 06:56 PM
Well, I guess I'm just not seeing these 'additional' backup files that you are getting. From the list you have above, it looks like you have these files:

VIDEO_TS.ifo (14K)
VIDEO_TS.bup (14K)
VIDEO_TS.vob (114K)
VTS_01_0.ifo (52K)
VTS_01_0.bup (52K)
VTS_01_0.vob (340K)
VTS_01_1.vob (1048404K)
VTS_01_2.vob (1048404K)
VTS_01_3.vob (1038566K)
VTS_02_0.ifo (18K)
VTS_02_0.bup (18K)
VTS_02_0.vob (114K)
VTS_02_1.vob (9990K)

The files with the extension 'ifo' are the ones labeled 'DVD Movie Info'. The ones with the extension 'bup' are the ones labeled 'Backup File of the IFO' (and, as I said above, they are exactly the same as the ifo, only they have the extension bup - same checksums, of course, since they are exactly the same). And, the ones with the extension 'vob' are the ones labeled 'DVD Movie'. Every file you took a picture of is supposed to be in that VIDEO_TS folder and you need to burn them all in Nero.

branagin
2006-03-22, 12:08 AM
lol, sorry. for some reason it is now working fine. I dont know what the mix up was, but Im guessing operator error on this one. thanks all for the help

bkm669
2006-03-22, 04:17 PM
:hmm: Does anyone know how to, or even if it's possible to compress video files?
For example: a 7gig concert that's not on two discs and make it 4 to 4.5gig and still be able to burn and play the files. I know you can use DL DVD's(to burn the whole 7gigs) but they will not play on my standalone player. Any help would be awesome :clap:

LazyTaper
2006-03-22, 04:27 PM
DVDShrink google. It will allow you to compress to one DVD5 or split it onto two DVD5 without compression.

slomo
2006-03-22, 05:38 PM
Also, if you have the Nero 7 Ultra burning suite, it comes with a program called Nero Recode that will reformat a DVD9 into a DVD5.

dancin_carrot
2006-03-22, 10:25 PM
I just got a DVD burner for the first time, and it came with Nero Express. At a glance it appears to be pretty crappy software, but I'm trying to burn a couple DVDs with it anyway.

After much mucking about, I finally burned a regular data disc, manually placing the files in the correct VIDEO_TS folder (with an empty AUDIO_TS for good measure). I have no idea if this is supposed to work, as Nero warned me it would not play in standalone players. But it did.

Is this standard practice, or do I really have to shell out 60 bucks for Nero Burning Rom that can do it 'correctly'?

datdork
2006-03-23, 12:12 AM
if it's the same nero express that comes in the pay version of nero you should be good to go. however burn as a video dvd instead of data.

TheMamba
2006-03-23, 06:08 AM
For data discs, just drag and drop the folder(s) you want to burn and burn them.

For watchable video discs, you need to select video DVD like datdork said. Once you select that, nero will create the video_ and audio_ TS folders for you. Then you just drag the contents of the VIDEO_TS folder that you want to burn into Nero's folder.

In my opinion, springing for the $60 full version is well worth it.

dancin_carrot
2006-03-23, 09:13 AM
For watchable video discs, you need to select video DVD like datdork said. Once you select that, nero will create the video_ and audio_ TS folders for you. Then you just drag the contents of the VIDEO_TS folder that you want to burn into Nero's folder.

This is what I thought, but the program seems to have issues with the video DVD option... It doesn't create the folders, and it won't let me do it manually.

That's why I just burned it as a data disc, and it seemed to work perfectly fine. It plays in my cheapo DVD player, at least.

Thanks for the help, I do think it will be worth it to get the full version.

TheMamba
2006-03-23, 10:12 AM
This is what I thought, but the program seems to have issues with the video DVD option... It doesn't create the folders, and it won't let me do it manually.

That's why I just burned it as a data disc, and it seemed to work perfectly fine. It plays in my cheapo DVD player, at least.

Thanks for the help, I do think it will be worth it to get the full version.

That's weird...I'll try to take a look at it tonight when I get home and tell you step by step how I'm doing it...

Five
2006-03-23, 12:14 PM
nero express that came bundled with my burner works great for burning video or data DVDs. these days I'm using the EXTRAS_TS data DVD method and it works great! checksums, info and artwork go in the EXTRAS_TS, I create an empty AUDIO_TS and put the regular VIDEO_TS alongside. Plays fine on my computer or my standalone and has all the necessary stuff for trading. there's some info in the thread linked in my signature "checksums demystified"

branagin
2006-03-23, 12:28 PM
Nope, Not allowed.

TTD Staff

GaryBlevins
2006-03-23, 03:47 PM
Has any one had any luck burning dvd's with this. I can not it tells me files are not reconized or bad. It works fine when I download from a camera but when I download a show it will not allow me to use the files. Any Help?

lepaul
2006-03-23, 06:11 PM
This is driving me nuts. I posted here before about a DVD+R DL with a burned show (Neil Young 5/18/02) not showing up in Explorer when I put the dvd in my dvd-rom, or NEC 3540A DVD burner (which is a DL burner). The video is definitely on the DVD+ DL because it PLAYS fine. However, I want to copy it for others. So I got around the non-showing in Explorer by extracting the VIDEO_TS folder to my HD with IsoBuster. So now the files show on my computer - 7.86GB. I use TMPENG DVD Author Writing Tool to burn dvd's. TMPENG supposedly supports DL up to 8.5GB.

So now what's driving me nuts I try to use DVD Author Writing Tool to make a copy. The VIDEO_TS folder from my HD shows up in TMPENG as 8.6GB!!!, so of course it won't burn to a new DL DVD-R because it exceeds capacity!
WTF?! And I have made sure in the writing window that there aren't any extraneous stuff other than the VIDEO_TS folder there? Does anyone know what is going on? And how can I possibly copy a DL DVD? I would not want to shrink this show down with DVD Shrink - it's too good a DVD.

bkm669
2006-03-23, 08:11 PM
:hmm: Also, if you have the Nero 7 Ultra burning suite, it comes with a program called Nero Recode that will reformat a DVD9 into a DVD5.
Right - But isn't that still a dual-layer disc? That won't play on many home dvd player's, including mine.
Thank you for the reply

bkm669
2006-03-23, 08:13 PM
DVDShrink google. It will allow you to compress to one DVD5 or split it onto two DVD5 without compression.
I have dvd shrink and I can only shrink commercial dvd's. The vob files don't shrink/compress :cool:

U2Lynne
2006-03-23, 08:40 PM
DVD5 is a single layer DVD, DVD9 is a dual layer DVD.

That being said, if you download a DVD9 (dual layer) show and shrink it to fit on a single layer DVD (DVD5), you SHOULD NOT trade it. It should be for your own personal use.

I recommend looking at videohelp.com for some tutorials you may need.

cmaz
2006-03-24, 01:27 PM
My wife's Sony Vaio had this program installed on it. i remember i had a problem with it at one point that i solved by updating the drive's firmware.

sjgorm01
2006-03-29, 06:48 AM
I had the same problem

phishy13
2006-03-29, 01:07 PM
so i am only familiar with burning shows from my pc with blank dvd-r's that i buy at best buy or costco. what needs to be done to burn dvd9's??? is it better to burn it as a 9 or change them into 2 dvd5's??? can someone explain please. if it is best to keep them as 9's what do i need to buy in order to burn them once they are on my pc???? thank you

garback
2006-03-29, 01:35 PM
dvd9's are dual layer dvd's. you just need the capability to burn them and blank dual layer dvds and you should be all set. as to how to make them 2 regular dvd's(dvd5) i can't help you there

LazyTaper
2006-03-29, 02:08 PM
It is best to keep them as DVD9s. You can split or shrink them with DVDshrink. Try google.

AAR.oner
2006-03-30, 06:38 AM
for trading purposes, i'm sure most traders and the authorer would appreciate you trading it in its original DVD9 format...if you have a DVD burner that supports DL burning, just buy some DL discs and burn using whatever prog you usually use [assuming it supports DL burning]...if not, burn as a data disc and put half of the files on one DVD5 disc, and the other half on a second disc

for personal watching, it doesn't matter if you want to burn as a DL [DVD9], split to 2 DVD5s, or shrink it down to 1 DVD5 using Popcorn [or DVD Shrink for PC]

JackDog
2006-04-02, 10:51 AM
You can just copy them by dragging the VIDEO_TS folder onto your computer. check the md5s whenever you make a copy.

Do you mean using Windows Explorer?

AAR.oner
2006-04-02, 11:59 AM
yes JackDog, Windows Explorer [PC] or Finder [Mac]

phishy13
2006-04-03, 08:47 AM
ok so i now have about 4-5 concerts in dvd9 format. i have only used regular blank dvd-r's. here is my question i use the newest version of nero, what do i do??? am i going to a retailer and looking for specific dvd9's and just burning them in nero burning rom doing the dvd-video and carry over the files to the video_ts folder just like what i do with all other dvd's. please walk me through where to get the dvd's and what i need to do using the newest nero to burn these. thanks for all the help that i get.

saltman
2006-04-03, 09:27 AM
Just buy DVD-DL discs either + or - whichever you're burner burns. They will burn the same with Nero as your oyther DVDs. Nero will automatically recognize you have more space when you put a blank in the drive.

Ike1519
2006-04-03, 09:24 PM
OK, I just got a DVD-R drive and the software it came with is NERO. I've tried burning two disks with the NERO Burning ROM SE software. My DVD player recognizes it as a DVD, but won't play anything. Can someone please help me and tell me how to burn the disk correctly?

Thanks,
Ike

AAR.oner
2006-04-03, 10:03 PM
-open Nero Burning ROM
--burn

ColinM
2006-04-04, 02:35 AM
Like this:

http://www.goatbased.com/nero01.jpg
http://www.goatbased.com/nero02.jpg
http://www.goatbased.com/nero03.jpg

Five
2006-04-04, 03:31 AM
that looks right

maybe the title should be all caps

also you can try it in data mode, create your own empty AUDIO_TS and the VIDEO_TS as above, maybe that will work. you can also add EXTRAS_TS with the txt and artwork & checksums if you like

this always works for me

let us know how it goes for you

Ike1519
2006-04-04, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the help. What my problem was that I tried to right it as a DVD-ROM, not a DVD-video.

Kudzu King
2006-04-04, 12:18 PM
What if Nero tells you your drive does not support DVD-9, can you update the drive firmware to make it compatible?

Five
2006-04-04, 12:41 PM
you need a dual layer DVD burner. they sell them here for $55 last time I checked. its not worth the time & effort to attempt dividing the shows for dvd5 burning. dual layer will also play in your standalone (so I've heard).

chewie420
2006-04-09, 12:49 PM
is there a way to burn dvd files that are already on your hard drive with decrypter? i have nero issues and need to fine another easy to use program to burn already authored files to dual layer discs.....

aikox2
2006-04-09, 01:00 PM
What I have learned/discovered is that Nero, though fine for burning VIDEO_TS folders to DVD5, cannot successfully burn VIDEO_TS folders to DVD9 (dual-layer); however, Nero will burn ans ISO image to a dual-layer DVD9 with no problems.

If you have an ISO file, you may burn it with Nero or DVDDecryptor. I have found that Decryptor demands full resources from my PC and any active torrents I have running drop to zero, so I use Nero.

If you need to create an ISO file from a VIDEO_TS folder, you can either use Folder2ISO or DVDShrink, which has the option to create an ISO image to your HD, or to create an ISO image on HD and then burn it with DVDDecryptor.

Personally, I prefer DVDShrink to Folder2ISO for the creation of the ISO image, and as I already said, I prefer Nero to DVDDecryptor for burning the ISO image.

YMMV.

Aiko

p.s. - I contacted Nero support with regard to the shortcomings in their product, but they are a bunch of morons who do not read what their customers write, and only send out boiler-plate responses that are of no help. They don't seem genuinely interested in rectifying the issue; they will not even acknowlege the problem exists, though it appears to be common knowledge in the various forums I have searched.

scomo
2006-04-14, 06:36 AM
Hi all, just got my first DVD burner and downloaded my first DVD show, but I can't figure out how to burn them using Roxio....they are the .IFO and .VOB files. Do I just burn them as is to a disc or do I need to convert them to another format, any help would be appreciated.

rherron
2006-04-14, 06:45 AM
Hi all, just got my first DVD burner and downloaded my first DVD show, but I can't figure out how to burn them using Roxio....they are the .IFO and .VOB files. Do I just burn them as is to a disc or do I need to convert them to another format, any help would be appreciated.

I don't use Roxio, I use Nero, so I can't tell you specifically how to use that program.

But basically you will take all the files you downloaded (the VOB, IFO, and BUP files) and put them in a folder called VIDEO_TS, and burn the DVD. Don't put any extra files in that folder. Ignore any folder you may see called AUDIO_TS.

In Nero you just drag those files to a VIDEO_TS folder already created for you in an interface that looks like Windows Explorer. Perhaps Roxio is similar.

Good luck.

Rob

dmb2much
2006-04-14, 07:25 AM
I'd try searching the Roxio forum... This may help (http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=3057).

cabopete
2006-04-14, 08:43 AM
If you are going to start making DVD movies you may want to download a few programs to see witch one you like the best......I use Nero, DVD Santa and Alcohol 120. Some work better then others for different movies. DVD Santa does a pretty good job converting from AVI to DVD.

Good Luck!!

CaboPete

TheMamba
2006-04-14, 11:42 AM
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/search.php?searchid=331668

diggrd
2006-04-14, 11:01 PM
check here
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showpost.php?p=324995&postcount=2

teabaggins
2006-04-15, 01:02 PM
ill set the speed at 4x, or any other speed, and it will only burn 1.5x. the drive ran perfect until bout two weeks ago. i have a plextor px716A and use roxio easy media creator 7 basic dvd edition software. any help appreciated, not pc savvy. winXP if it helps. the drive is recognized and updated the firmware.

U2Lynne
2006-04-15, 02:31 PM
You might want to read over this post and see if it helps: http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19429&highlight=burner+slow

AAR.oner
2006-04-15, 05:56 PM
this werked for me when i had issues with my px716
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showpost.php?p=324443&postcount=15

teabaggins
2006-04-15, 10:41 PM
thanks for the help, i went to the run function and could not find the sub keys as mentioned. im not to swift here on the pc so i am at the grace of the kind folk in the TTD. i was looking for this thread that lynne had mentioned, i remembered reading bout this and was hopin it could shed some light. but my lack of knowledge might have steered me into a rut. this happened before, but i had a nero application on my pc as well. when i removed it, all was well. a real head scratcher for me. i tried different media formats and the same thing happens

teabaggins
2006-04-15, 11:00 PM
ok so sorry for the double post...i found the subkeys, but now im effin completely lost. im actually lost at this point in the link aaron provided:

You have to go through these subkeys and check the DriverDesc value until you find the proper IDE channel.
Delete MasterIdDataChecksum or SlaveIdDataChecksum, depending on whether the device in question is attached as master or slave, but it can't actually hurt to delete both. Reboot. The drive DMA capabilities will be redetected.

If you're wary of deleting the values altogether, it is sufficient to empty the content of these values. But you can also delete the values entirely - Windows will automatically recreate them anyway, with new content.

what does this actually do? and by deleting these files, all will be automatically reset to the normal settings as before.

U2Lynne
2006-04-15, 11:07 PM
Well, I can't help you with this PC stuff. Hopefully Aaron will be around tomorrow to respond to you.

diggrd
2006-04-16, 12:42 AM
ok so sorry for the double post...i found the subkeys, but now im effin completely lost. im actually lost at this point in the link aaron provided:

You have to go through these subkeys and check the DriverDesc value until you find the proper IDE channel.
Delete MasterIdDataChecksum or SlaveIdDataChecksum, depending on whether the device in question is attached as master or slave, but it can't actually hurt to delete both. Reboot. The drive DMA capabilities will be redetected.

If you're wary of deleting the values altogether, it is sufficient to empty the content of these values. But you can also delete the values entirely - Windows will automatically recreate them anyway, with new content.

what does this actually do? and by deleting these files, all will be automatically reset to the normal settings as before.

The values you are deleting are windows way of keeping track of what hardware your computer has in it. When you reboot windows will automagically determine the hardware and restore the default settings. Some program must have changed the value and in doing so screwed things up as far as burning speed was concerned.

AAR.oner
2006-04-16, 08:00 AM
i'm in no way knowlegable about what all this is or means, but nkramar posted that "fix" and it werked for me... ;) here's all i did:

1. i located the proper folder in RegEdit the "fix" specifies, with the sub-key folders inside [which mine listed as "0000", "0001", "0002", & "Properties"]

2. i opened folder 0001 [figuring that was my PrimaryIDE] and found the files MasterIdDataCheckSum and SlaveIdDataCheckSum

3. opened both of those files and erased the value in each

5. closed out, rebooted, and presto! my drive was finally werking again :thumbsup

if that hadn't of fixed it, i would have repeated, but with sub-key folder 0002 next...from what i understand, deleting these values isn't goin to screw up yer comp, since it'll reassign the values when you reboot...but again, i'm no techhead when it comes to these things! this is the exact reason i typically werk on Macs--put the drive in, turn on comp, everything runs smooth :cool:

teabaggins
2006-04-16, 03:55 PM
thanks to all who took time out to help. i figured it out with the link you provided aaron. :D i only deleted the slave id's, not the master's, value from both subkeys and all worked well again. its good to know the kind folk here will help in the time of need. Aaron, diggrd and Lynne, id like to offer something off my list to show my gratittude if interested. again, thanks

scifreak69
2006-04-21, 10:26 AM
first off thanks for everything you guys do here
now down to business
i have been downloading these recent jam cruises and they dont seem to burn
they say wrong files.
now u2lynne said the files are all toghether and you have to do something
i am not a geek so i am a little stu[pid to this
can anyone take a look and give a little help
peace gary

Five
2006-04-21, 11:40 AM
have you ever burned a cd or a dvd before?

are you on mac or pc?

scifreak69
2006-04-21, 11:49 AM
i have durned a bunch of dvd
i just put them in the program and push record i have nero sonic and shrink
i have windows on my pc
i am pretty up to date with the software i cant afford a couple of thing but i can usually do what i need
thanks for the reply

Five
2006-04-21, 11:56 AM
okay its real easy

open up nero, select that you want to burn a data dvd (iso) ... this is the default, what you always use.

drag and drop the folder called VIDEO_TS in there. make another folder called AUDIO_TS and leave it empty. create another folder called EXTRAS_TS and put the little files (.txt, .jpg, .md5) in there. make sure you just have these three folders (the "TS" ones) in there and that they're not inside some other folder. you can change the name of the dvd from MY DISC or whatever it says to something that reflects what show it is... use all caps for the title. burn it, with verify enabled. this disc should work in your standalone and on your computer, plus you have the artwork and that stuff readily available its a piece of cake.

U2Lynne
2006-04-21, 11:56 AM
scifreak, when you go to burn the jamband DVD, are you only dragging the VOB, BUP, and IFO files into the VIDEO_TS folder? You should not have any other types of files in the VIDEO_TS folder.

scifreak69
2006-04-21, 12:17 PM
thanks a bunch for helping out the not so savy users

HoosierDaddy90
2006-04-22, 03:09 PM
I'm using Nero. How do I incorporate the menu files included in a download into my burned DVD?

AAR.oner
2006-04-22, 03:26 PM

--open Nero Burning ROM
--burn

--open Nero Burning ROM
--burn

also, some standalone DVD players will play a "data disck"...follow below:

Originally Posted by Five
Advanced: Another possibility is to burn a standalone-playable data DVD which contains info, artwork (if any) and .md5 checksums inside a folder called EXTRAS_TS. To do this, create three folders in your compilation:

AUDIO_TS
EXTRAS_TS
VIDEO_TS

The VIDEO_TS folder contains the obvious, the AUDIO_TS folder must be there and remain absolutely empty, and the EXTRAS_TS with the art/info/checksums inside. When the .md5 file is placed inside of an EXTRAS_TS folder, the path must be formatted as:

Code:
8d50cba158b40a75dd32cada8964aef7 *../VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.BUP
8d50cba158b40a75dd32cada8964aef7 *../VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO
e40bd45c55f783d519c2a5c9aa088e98 *../VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.VOB
e11aaf0c14501bbf15d776a34218c205 *../VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.BUP
e11aaf0c14501bbf15d776a34218c205 *../VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.IFO
da29301176f55de40d79be5cba560d06 *../VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.VOB
99ba41ff0fec88e3def109b6cb824dcb *../VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB
6c20fa2d2232106310d61dce30cd3e29 *../VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_2.VOB

If you wish you can substitute \ for /. The end result is a DVD which is playable in most standalones & also includes all the stuff which is normally included in a trade. Another big advantage is that you can double-click the .md5 which is inside the EXTRAS_TS folder and TLH will test all of the files on that DVD. Just be very careful that you get everything correct the same way I explained it above or it will not work.

thanks to fatoldpig and yoho for suggesting this stuff!

Five
2006-04-22, 03:26 PM
??

they should already be incorporated, please explain your situation

HoosierDaddy90
2006-04-26, 11:45 AM
I'm using Nero Vision 4. i don't see an option for "DVD-ROM". I choose "Make DVD-Video" which doesn't let me save the menu files from the Video TS folder.

saltman
2006-04-26, 12:06 PM
Nero Vision is an authoring program not a burning program. You need to use Nero Express.

treehoppin
2006-04-29, 05:09 PM
I downloaded VLC, is that all I need for all my dvd needs?

U2Lynne
2006-04-29, 05:16 PM
Well, that's all you need to play the DVD on your computer. You'll need different software to burn it if you want to play it in your standalone player. You can find a whole lot of software links in the Software part of the FAQ.

treehoppin
2006-04-29, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the reply

Should I use the DVD decrypter software or is there a more comprehensive program? Also should I tell Azureus to save files in VCL or Decrypter, not sure which way would be best

U2Lynne
2006-04-29, 05:32 PM
Well, first off, I'm a mac user, not a PC user, so I'm not familar with DVD Decrypter.

In regards to where Azureus saves the files.... I use Azureus on my Mac. I just have it save the files in a folder called "Download Audio" or "Download Video" (depending on if the show is audio or video) which are both folders in my "Music" folder. Then, when you open up VLC (which I also use on my Mac), I say File > Open File and then go to the Disc tab, select the VIDEO_TS folder and browse to the VIDEO_TS folder I want to play (located in a folder in "Download Video"). So, you don't need to save the files inside the Azureus or VLC directory folders.

treehoppin
2006-04-29, 05:33 PM
As far as I can tell the only software mentioned in the Faq for DVD burning and decryption is no longer available. And all other options the Decrypter site recomends are also discontinued due to legal reasons.

I think I am looking for the wrong type of program, if so can you point me in the right direction.

Thanks

treehoppin
2006-04-29, 05:36 PM
I understand what your saying about where to save the files, that makes the most sense.

I guess I will have to search around for what program to use for windows

thisistoto
2006-04-29, 06:39 PM
For burning in windows Nero ROM is the best. Roxio does the trick too. There is also the freeware program ONE.

Chachi420
2006-04-29, 06:42 PM
I like ONES better than Nero after using both for a while...just imo

treehoppin
2006-04-29, 07:50 PM
thanks for the help, I'll give those a try.

thisistoto
2006-04-29, 10:52 PM
I like ONES better than Nero after using both for a while...just imo

how so? iv never used it before but i hear a lot of good things.

HoosierDaddy90
2006-05-01, 06:59 PM
I'm not having any problems burning the DVD with Nero Vision, I just can't get any of the menu files to stick.

AAR.oner
2006-05-01, 07:33 PM
thats because Nero Vision is for authoring, as saltman said...so it is stripping the video out and wanting to reauthor [i.e. new menu, new file structure, etc].

either use Nero Burning ROM or Nero Express to burn w/ the menus, etc

TripleWideJimiStewart
2006-05-05, 08:13 PM
I have a powerbok g4 with a superdrive. I downloaded the tool DVD and am trying to burn it. Can I burn the dvd without buying any programs? I tried dragging and dropping the video_ts file, but it said the file was too big. I looked and it said the dvd only had 4.28 gigs on it when I thought DVD's had 4.7 gigs. Could someone please help me?

U2Lynne
2006-05-05, 08:43 PM
Here's a link to burning a DVD with freeware: http://u2lynne.sandsmuseum.com/burning.html#anchor11 It has you create an ISO first and then burning with Apple's Disc Utility. When I burn (I use Toast though), I can burn a VIDEO_TS folder that is up to about 4.3 GB. Yes, a DVD says it can hold 4.7 GB, but it's like your 80 GB harddrive that only really holds 74 GB.

calvin1663
2006-05-05, 08:45 PM
sure man...best way to do it would be to buy Toast Titanium (easy, effiecient, etc.), but there are a few apps that'll do it for free. try using
1. Burnz (http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/13268)
2. shadowburn (http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/20157)

If neither of those are good, just search macupdate, versiontracker, etc. for DVD burner, and see what you come up with!

happy burning, calvin

TripleWideJimiStewart
2006-05-05, 08:46 PM
Sweet! Thanks for the info. I might have a problem then because the file for the Tool 2002-11-16 dvd is 4.35 gigs and my comp says it only has 3.28 gigs. Hmmm? Any suggestions?

Torch2k
2006-05-05, 09:05 PM
4.35 Gigs is fine for a DVD-r if you burn the video-ts folder directly - I use Toast Titanium. Works fine. If your computer says the DVD only has 3.28 gigs available, then the disc is either corrupted, has something already on it, or you have formated it somehow to that size.

I suggest you download the Toast - it is so easy to use. I have burned about 100 DVD-r and DL-DVD+r - no problems. Play back on the Mac, PC, or HiFi DVD no issues. There are problems with DL-DVD-r on Macs though, so watch out for that - until Apple release a fix that is.

Torch (iMac G5 owner)

Sweet! Thanks for the info. I might have a problem then because the file for the Tool 2002-11-16 dvd is 4.35 gigs and my comp says it only has 3.28 gigs. Hmmm? Any suggestions?

gratefulad
2006-05-06, 06:53 PM
thanks for this post, i was trying to figure out how to use the premade menues in nero vision for like an hour....

Martin_Hooper
2006-05-07, 04:58 AM
How do I burn a DVD that I have downloaded?

I'm guessing I just burn the audio_ts and/or Video_ts directories to the disc. Do I do it ordinary data mode or something else?

Using latest version of Nero6.

TheMamba
2006-05-07, 08:29 AM

--open Nero Burning ROM
--burn

--open Nero Burning ROM
--burn

also, some standalone DVD players will play a "data disck"...follow below:

Originally Posted by Five
Advanced: Another possibility is to burn a standalone-playable data DVD which contains info, artwork (if any) and .md5 checksums inside a folder called EXTRAS_TS. To do this, create three folders in your compilation:

AUDIO_TS
EXTRAS_TS
VIDEO_TS

The VIDEO_TS folder contains the obvious, the AUDIO_TS folder must be there and remain absolutely empty, and the EXTRAS_TS with the art/info/checksums inside. When the .md5 file is placed inside of an EXTRAS_TS folder, the path must be formatted as:

Code:

If you wish you can substitute \ for /. The end result is a DVD which is playable in most standalones & also includes all the stuff which is normally included in a trade. Another big advantage is that you can double-click the .md5 which is inside the EXTRAS_TS folder and TLH will test all of the files on that DVD. Just be very careful that you get everything correct the same way I explained it above or it will not work.

thanks to fatoldpig and yoho for suggesting this stuff!

quoth Aaron. :wave:

Martin_Hooper
2006-05-07, 08:38 AM
Cheers! That's what I thought I would have to do... ;)

BradPuett
2006-05-07, 11:57 PM
Is it possible to burn 2 (or more) VIDEO_TS folders onto 1 DVD on a Macintosh? I'm using a Mac G4 (OS X 10.4.6) with Toast Titanium 7.0.1 ...

In a perfect world, I would like each folder to be a "chapter", selectable on a Menu with the option to "Play all in order" also. Having each chapter in each folder be a separate chapter (instead of just the 2 Folders) would be incredible (and more than I could hope for)!

Thanks for any info!

calvin1663
2006-05-08, 08:20 AM
my initial guess is no. I'm sure you can't just burn them as is, you'd have to do a little tinkering. You could try combining the 2 VIDEO_TS folders and editing in imovie, or FCP, or something of the like...

anyways, you might want to post this at the apple discussions forums, those people are brilliant!

cheers, calvin

ffooky
2006-05-08, 09:41 AM
You can do it with Toast but you'll lose the original menus and the disc will be presented as a series of chapters rather than titles (see under for alternative outcome).

You need to drag the first VIDEO_TS folder to the desktop and then use the Media browser to navigate down to chapter level. Drag the individual chapters over (in order) and allow Toast to copy them. DO NOT QUIT TOAST unless you've set the preferences not to delete temp files. Move the first VIDEO_TS folder back where it was and then drag the second to the desktop. Repeat the process and edit each chapter title to something more descriptive.

In the Formats pane, click More and go to the Encoding tab. Select Custom, Reencoding-Never and PCM as the audio option. You won't get PCM, unless the original movie had that audio format, this is just the stupid way to select passthrough on the audio.

If you don't want to keep the original chapters, you can let Toast add them (I believe the default is every 10 mins) and select Include Scene Menus for Videos in the Disc Settings pane. If you go this route you need only navigate down to title level in the first 2 processes and drag the whole thing across rather than individual chapters.

Make whatever other choices you want in the Disc Settings pane and then it's probably advisable to create a disc image rather than burning so you can check all is kosher.

If you're not using a warezed copy of 7.0.1, I'd advise an upgrade to 7.0.2 (unless you want to make audio DVDs).

U2Lynne
2006-05-08, 09:59 AM
Actually, I would go take a look at videohelp.com. They have a forum just for us mac users and the people who post/help in there are very nice.

johnfbutler
2006-05-09, 08:49 AM
One question ... how do you "format a path" for the MD5 when burning the EXTRAS_TS folder?

Thanks!

JB

AAR.oner
2006-05-09, 09:17 AM
One question ... how do you "format a path" for the MD5 when burning the EXTRAS_TS folder?

Thanks!

JB

as above, of course yers will have diffderent checksum values:

U2Lynne
2006-05-09, 09:22 AM
You can edit the md5s in a text editor such as notepad. Just change the beginning of all the file names to have "../VIDEO_TS/" in front of them list the example above and then save it in the EXTRAS_TS folder. After you are done burning, if you saved it with those new path names, then you can run the md5 one the files from the disc.

aikox2
2006-05-09, 12:46 PM
I have a concert DVD (VIDEO_TS Folder structure), and the audio is only on one channel, so I wanted to copy it to the second channel and reauthor the DVD.

I used DVD Decrypter to demux the streams, then I used Womble to duplicate the left channel to the right, and remuxed.

The resultant MPEG starts out in sync, and gets progressively out of sync throughout the next hour and forty minutes. The original DVD is in sync.

I guess I am using the wrong tools and/or techniques.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Aiko

Zwiefel
2006-05-10, 11:35 AM
So I've downloaded some video files, but don't know what to do with them now. I assume they need some sort of decoding before I can burn them to DVD. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

U2Lynne
2006-05-10, 12:09 PM
Nope, no decoding necessary. Does this thread help: http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21231

If it doesn't, then you should tell us what DVD burning software you have on your computer.

freewheelin
2006-05-10, 03:42 PM
The problem I have encountered is this -
The torrent that I was downloading (The Blues Brothers '78) reaches 100% then it goes back to zero. The client says "ContactingTracker" as the percentage bar refills.
Normally, it takes a minute or so to go up to 100% again, when it begins re-seeding/uploading.
On this torrent, as the bar is re-filling, it sticks at around 46% then the whole client freezes up. After force quitting an re-starting the client, the torrent starts downloading again - the first time starting with about 22%, the second time at about 43%.
This has not happened on any other torrent I have ever downloaded, and has played havoc with my share ratio!!!
It's still downloading, but if it happens again, I'll clearly have to forego the pleasure of the john and Dan Band.
Any explanation gratefully recieved...

TheMamba
2006-05-10, 03:47 PM
Have you tried checking the Fingerprints of the files to see if maybe it's just your client that's messed up?

U2Lynne
2006-05-10, 04:05 PM
You wouldn't be accidentally saving another video into the same VIDEO_TS folder, would you? Although, if you are only having problems with that one video, then I would guess not. (And, that would be hard to do unless someone forgot to put their VIDEO_TS folder into another main project folder prior to creating the torrent and usually someone catches that.)

But, I would do as Tom suggested and try verifying the md5 checksums and making sure that they pass.

freewheelin
2006-05-11, 03:01 AM
Thanks for replying!
I'm pretty new to this downloading and I'm afraid I don't understand how to "Check Fingerprints".
The good news is that I tried burning the files that WERE downloaded and they played fine on my DVD player. (So they must have been complete even though the client said there were still many "Unvalidated"...)
The bad news is that I had to stop the torrent downloading as the upload was slower than the download, and I'd have finished up with a negative share ratio!
I'm hoping the other two torrents that I am currently downloading will work properly and that I can re-seed enough to get a respectable ratio again.
Thanks for your help...

Five
2006-05-11, 03:08 AM
there's a link in my signature that explains how to test files every which way.

freewheelin
2006-05-11, 04:54 AM
Thanks, I'll get on it...

Zwiefel
2006-05-11, 11:05 AM
Well I burned a DVD w/ Nero 7 and all went until it errored out before finalizing. The disc is playable in my burner drive but won't play in a "TV" DVD player. I tried a couple more times with the same result. Any suggestions? Thanks.

gratefulad
2006-05-12, 11:34 PM
hey everyone,
im new here and i have been seriously enjoying the site, but i've run into something of a problem. whenever i copy dvds or even just burn them for that matter, there seems to be skips that are showing up on the dvd when i play them that were not on the original files or dvd that i burned from... two possibilities come to mind:

1. its the crappy cheapest in the store dvds i bought...if this is the case what brands are recommended and still well priced?

2. its the process by which i've been burning/copying dvds...i use nero burning rom for both....i know that there is a program in my nero suite that is specifically for copying dvd videos (for the case of copying from dvds) but i couldnt quite figure out how to get it to work as it was more involved...

any ideas?

rhinowing
2006-05-13, 12:11 AM
Unbranded TY's (Taiyo Yuden)

gratefulad
2006-05-13, 12:25 AM
could this also have anything to do with writing on the cds? i use sharpies?

thisistoto
2006-05-13, 03:34 AM
could this also have anything to do with writing on the cds? i use sharpies?

very unlikely, even with shitty media.

Do you have "Verify Data" checked in nero? Run a checkum on the dvd your burned.

Could also be your player.

gratefulad
2006-05-13, 08:06 AM
>>Could also be your player.

skips occurred in both my stand alone dvd player and my laptop dvd player, i don't think they were at the same exact moments, but during the same songs... not sure what that means...

U2Lynne
2006-05-13, 10:32 AM
What are the steps you are taking to copy the DVDs? Have you tried making and .iso of the DVD and then burning that?

gratefulad
2006-05-13, 02:34 PM
>>What are the steps you are taking to copy the DVDs?

my steps were just to use the copy cd option in nero burning rom, on the last go, i used nero express and clicked on verify the verify data option, we'll see how that works out...

>>Have you tried making and .iso of the DVD and then burning that?

what is an iso and how do you make one? is that creating an image??

gratefulad
2006-05-13, 06:30 PM
ok, so the problem seems to be ocurring when im copying a particular disk. after copying using nero express, the very end of the data verification results in some errors, this happened twice...there are no visible defects when watching the original DVD...is there anything i can do to remedy this problem? or is the original disk just damaged irreperably?

mcree
2006-05-18, 12:59 PM
how do i burn a dvd video with the menu that comes with the torrent? i have the menu files but nero simpily thinks that the menu file is part of the video and burns it as such....the menu screen flashes, then goes to a black screen while the menu audio plays. any help would be appriciated

thanks

mcree
2006-05-18, 01:43 PM
i am here

thanks!

hanshak2015
2006-05-18, 01:53 PM
As you downloaded the DVD, you won't have to add or change anything inside the DVD. You just need to create a new DVD Video project, add all your files to the VIDEO_TS folder (leave the AUDIO_TS folder empty), and then burn it.

What Nero version do you have?

saltman
2006-05-18, 01:58 PM
You should using Nero Express. Not Nero Vision Express.
Make sure you copy all files .vob, .bup, etc... into the folder not just the .vob files.

hanshak2015
2006-05-18, 02:04 PM
If you're using a Nero version that has this "Start Smart" thingie, look for the option "Nero Express" in the menu on the left side of the window (under "Applications").

mcree
2006-05-18, 02:09 PM
i have NeroVision Express 3

when the torrent finished, the directory that was downloaded looked like this

PROJECT TITLE -> DVD 1
DVD 2
DVD 3
DVD 4 --> VIDEO_TS --> VIDEO_TS.BUP
VIDEO_TS.IFO
VIDEO_TS.VOB
VTS_01_0.BUP
VTS_01_0.IFO
VTS_01_0.VOB - VTS_01_7.VOB

the VTS_01_0.VOB file is the menu i need

mcree
2006-05-18, 02:16 PM
switching to nero express made things look a little less complicated - no menu editing and chapters and stuff like that....but if i am to write this to disc, how do i insert chapters? and am i able to tinker with the quality of the dvd produced?

hanshak2015
2006-05-18, 02:18 PM
You need absolutely no editing. If the program wants you to edit or add chapters/menus, you're on the wrong path if I understand your purpose correctly. You just want to burn the DVD you downloaded, right?

mcree
2006-05-18, 02:19 PM
the program did not prompt me....i actually need to put the chapters in manually. i understand i can do this on NeroVIsion, but i cannot on express? and i can use the menu that came with the download on express but not on vision?

i think i'm missing something

hanshak2015
2006-05-18, 02:25 PM
I have no experience with NeroVision, so no idea how to add chapters there.

However, if you downloaded a DVD with menus, it is very likely that it already has chapters. Even if it hasn't, you should be able to just burn the DVD.

mcree
2006-05-18, 02:32 PM
alright, i'll give it a try.

i have to take off now, but thanks for your help. i appriciate it - we'll see how it works later tonight.

anyway, thanks again! :)

hanshak2015
2006-05-18, 02:35 PM
np, good luck.

saltman
2006-05-18, 03:00 PM
Do NOT use Nero Vision Express. It is an authoring program. Use Nero Express.

Open Nero. Click on DVD video files. click add files. drag entire video_ts folder on top of video_ts. click burn and you are done.

Nero Vision Express is for authoring DVDs (making menus). ALL video_ts folders are already authored.

You can not put chapter marks in without completely reauthoring the DVD. This is a difficult task for most.

eeyore5251976
2006-05-21, 01:43 PM
I've tried everything to get a disk to burn and still get write errors.
so far I've
cleaned the dvd burn
reintsalled the driver
cleared up RAM

I put in the disk and start to burn at times it just begins the disk the gives me a write error. A few times it makes it to about 10 to 15 % before giving me a write error. I don't think it's the program maybe the DVD burner or maybe the RAM but I'm out of ideas!
I'm running windows XP
the computer is a dell dimension 2400
the drive is a teac DVD+RW DV-W58E

inside'eye
2006-05-21, 01:50 PM
can you give more details?like a lot more,all that you have then maybe someone may be able to help

TheMamba
2006-05-21, 02:26 PM
Could be:

-Bad Media (discs)
-Bad Burner that needs to be replaced
-Your hard drive may be too full. How much free space is on the drive?
-Your hard drive may need to be defragged
-How many other programs do you have open at the same time? Try to have only Nero open

Free up as much space as possible on the hard drive, then defrag it and try again. If you have a different type of media try those.

If you can give us more details, we'll be able to help better, like inside'eye said.

joemc
2006-05-27, 07:45 AM
hi all, i've noticed quite a few questions about dvd authoring etc, here are a few suggestions and apps. all the apps are available...if you know where to look!

Converting ntsc > pal or pal > ntsc

Create a folder on your desktop, call it anything you like, you will select this as the output folder.

the quickest and easiest app to use is WINAVI V 6.03. open the app, choose the dvd button, select the files you want to convert, browse to the folder you have created and select this as your output folder, go to advanced tab and you can chose whether to convert pal or ntsc. takes around an hour and does not diminish the quality.

You can also use the same app to convert anything to anything,ie: It converts mpg to avi, avi to dvd etc etc.

once you have your output files you are ready to burn.

Burning.

Although nero is widely used, it is not the only way to get great results, i used it for quite some time until i discovered DVD DECRYPTER AND DVD SHRINK. Dvd shrink relies on the nero burning engine to burn directly to disc, once i installed these i did not use nero again for dvd burning.

install dvd decrypter and open, install dvd shrink, then close both. if you do this there will be no issues with dvd shrink if you want to back up any of your encrypted retail dvd's.

open dvd shrink, click reauthor, browse to the desktop folder you created, select the video ts folder in it and title 1 will be showing on the right hand side of shrink. drag that to the left hand side, click back up and you are away (you will need to follow instructions on screen). the dvd can take up to 1/2 hour to burn. it is that easy and takes much less time then tempeng, nero etc. The only thing you can't do is create menu's, if you want to do that then this way of doing things is not for you.

if you don't have nero still install decrypter and shrink, shrink will then write a bin file which can be burned using ashampoo or indeed any burning app. Tutorials are available on the net, if allowed and requested i will get the links and edit this post.

The most important thing when burning with any app is that there is nothing else running on your comp. when you burn turn off the scheduled scans etc, leave the internet, shut everything down except the essentials. You also need to defrag on a regular basis.

hope this helps someone and offends none.

joe

calvin1663
2006-05-29, 04:36 PM
hey all...I recieved a data DVD in the mail a bit ago, and the DVD inside it is actually .mpg files. I want to burn it onto a DVD as soon as I can (my old man went to the show and I'd like to give it to him for father's day), but can't figure out how. I'm on a mac...I tried converting the .mpg files to a .mov files using ffmpegx, and then tried to import to imovie, but it won't accept clips longer than 9 minutes, so I'm stuck...any solutions?

thanks, calvin

PyRo UK
2006-05-29, 05:04 PM
Nero can convert many formats for you when you tell if to convert, and mpg is very common; so I expect if you use Nero, it'll convert it for you before burning.

mgleason007
2006-05-29, 08:49 PM
Nero can convert many formats for you when you tell if to convert, and mpg is very common; so I expect if you use Nero, it'll convert it for you before burning.
C'mon, Nero is for Windows. Did you read his post?

Since the files are mpg, they should already be in the appropriate codec for DVD. Any DVD authoriing program should be able to take them and convert them to a video DVD. What do you use to burn DVDs now? It should also have the functionality to burn raw mpg files as a video DVD.

PyRo UK
2006-05-29, 09:15 PM
Sorry, I read it but I didn't notice the Mac part

sjoseph
2006-05-31, 09:23 AM
newbie here, sorry. Tryin' to burn dvd from shows downloaded from here, but keep gettin' "unable to transcode" error. I'm using Nero. What am i doin' wrong??