PDA

View Full Version : DVD Burning Problems?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Bluesky22
2004-12-08, 06:30 PM
To cut down on the # of repetitive threads in Technobabble we are creating a few master threads in the archive to merge them.

I've had some troubles copying this DVD that has a VIDEO_TS folder and a VIDEO_RM folder. I'm using Nero to burn, and I simply put the VIDEO_RM folder onto the DVD along with the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders, however it didn't work on my player. Any suggestions/help on this one?

katnapz
2004-12-08, 07:58 PM
Hi Bluesky! :wave: How ya doin?
I did some quick looking around after you mentioned this type of folder the other day and the best I can tell you so far is it's a folder created when a DVD is made on a Philips standalone burner. Something about it possibly being some sort of RAM structure.
The few answers I've seen on it for copying that DVD then is to either just copy the VIDEO_TS folder over to your HD and burn, or use some long complicated method that I'm still trying to figure out (since I don't have a DVD with this RM folder on it :) ), to burn both/convert both the TS and RM folders.

I've read a couple notes from people saying that when they just copied the TS folder over and only burned it that the DVD played fine....but then again, I didn't find too much info so you may want to wait until someone who's successfully done this comes along.

Good luck and I'll be keeping an eye on what answers come up...good info to know!

Bluesky22
2004-12-08, 08:06 PM
I think I sent you the wrong DVD, it's probably corrupted or won't work. I'll have to send you a replacement as soon as I figure this out.

Bluesky22
2004-12-08, 08:08 PM
Alright, I think I've figured it out. Downloaded a program that just copies DVD's and burns them. Hopefully this will work. Sorry for the bad DVD katnapz. Could you email me your address again so I can get you one that works?

katnapz
2004-12-12, 07:12 PM
I have a downloaded DVD (Video_ts folder) that's been on my HD for awhile that I've finally gotten around to burning off onto DVDR.
...burned with Nero...no problems...popped in my standalone and the disc won't play...
Knowing how Nero tends to throw fits with some files, I then tried burning with DVD Shrink, which usually fixes (or doesn't mess with stuff)...burned fine, throw it in my player...nothing...

So then just to see what happens, I open the folder with TMPGEnc DVD Author...import the folder, roll through the menus and at the end get the message:

The combined bitrate of the video and audio of the clip "Title 1".....is exceeding the upper limit for a standard DVD

The current bitrate is video: 9800bps, audio 192kbps, combined 9992kbps
THe combined video and audio bitrate can be no more than 9.848Mbps (9848kkbps)

I back up some and check the values of the VOB:

MPEG-2, 720X576 25 fps PAL 9800kbps
Dolby Digital (AC-3) 48000 Hz Stereo, 192 kbps

Now, since this DVD already has a nice menu all set up and is something of a "package" I'd really like to not have to rip this apart...but I'd really like to make it "compliant." Any ideas for a simple fix? I'm wondering if I pull the VOB into TMPCEnc and do some re-encoding if it'll screw up things.

I'm actually surprised that Nero never complained as it usually whines about any problem.

Any thoughts?

...and yes, I know I could go and buy an Apex (don't need to as I have a computer hooked to my TV and can just play the VOB file directly), but if there's a standard out there I'd like to try and stay within it. Once you start to not follow those rules, then what are you going to do if you want to play that nice show over at a friends house?...guess buy them an Apex as cheap as they are. :D

In all seriousness, why do people tend to think that way about non-compliant DVD's (big deal, just buy a different player)? Isn't that like saying we don't care someone ripped a CD with Nero instead of EAC...as long as you can't hear any pops it must be good! :disbelief :nono:

Thanks for the inputs-

feralicious
2004-12-12, 09:01 PM
Plus how are you going to trade it? But wait, Apex plays vob files? I didn't know that. But I like burning DVDs with menus anyway.

Which DVD is it? In case I have it sitting on my drive waiting for me to burn coasters.

What are standard DVD specs?

U2Lynne
2004-12-12, 10:15 PM
I recommend Apex players to people who are thinking about converting from PAL to NTSC (or vice versa) just so they can play it on their standalone. That has nothing to do with the DVD being non-compliant.

As for your problem, I've never seen that. I'll see if someone else comes in and says something about this.

RainDawg
2004-12-16, 06:10 AM
Jumping in a little late on this one....been a few days since I've really been around. But I want to respond.

First, I would do the re-encode to make it compliant to the standard. Though in 99% of cases it is not recommended to re-encode anything, this is a situation where it would be appropriate to bring the disc into spec. I would use DVDShrink for the job, which will allow you to select "optimal" compression to make the thing just barely fit onto a single DVDR...it should only compress it just a little bit. Be sure to use the same video system as the input stream.....

Which brings me to the second point....no one is saying to buy a DVD player to play out-of-spec discs, and your analogy thus fails. Lynne and I both recommend these players because they reliably will read both NTSC and PAL STANDARD discs, whereas many other players will not. As an added advantage, they will accept some non-standard video files, but trading these is still not good practice, and we're not meaning to condone it.

But you should get one of these just so that you can get stuff across international borders without having to re-encode, as the standards used in different countries are not always comptible with our hardware.

Cruzweb
2004-12-16, 08:47 AM
I recommend Apex players to people who are thinking about converting from PAL to NTSC (or vice versa) just so they can play it on their standalone. That has nothing to do with the DVD being non-compliant.
I've got an APEX DVD player/VCR, and the thing works great.

As for your problem, did you check your download against MD5s or anything?

katnapz
2004-12-16, 05:02 PM
I've got an APEX DVD player/VCR, and the thing works great.

As for your problem, did you check your download against MD5s or anything?

MD5?,...what's that? ;)
Seriously, this was grabbed from EZT...with no MD5 supplied (no surprise), however I doubt there's a problem with the authenticity of the download itself, just that someone used "lazy" standards. If the file was messed up I don't think it would do much more than burp in any program.

Raindawg - you're right on my comparision,...my point is, how many times have you read a posting on a torrent site (EZT, STG) discussing:
"I can't get this to burn properly!! I get an error message!"
Answer: "Just use Nero, and if it tells you the disc is out of compliance just ignore the warning and burn it...works on my player."

My point is that there seems to be differences in these "standards", which I"m guessing are something akin to PAL vs NTSC (well, not really literal, but just saying that different world regions have different standards).
Interestingly, I just read an article in a magazine talking about the revised Nero 6.6 Ultra Edition: "Nero 6.6,....., now offers the option of setting the "book type" for certain kinds of media. Also known as "bit-setting," setting the book type to DVD-ROM may increase compatibility with certain set-top DVD players. Even if it doesn't work with your DVD player, this feature certainly doesn't hurt."

Now, does this mean that DVD's have "red book or orange book" style standards, or are they actually referring to a regional type code?

In any case,...once the weekend hits and I have a bit more time I think I'll be looking into what standards are on doom9 or videohelp..or somewhere else. I hadn't thought of re-encoding with DVD Shrink so thanks for that suggestion.

feralicious - sorry for babbling that may have confused you...as far as I know Apex players play DVD's like any other standalone. I was referring to WinDVD on my computer(s) that you can set to file mode and point it to the individual vobs.

U2Lynne - I wasn't pointing at you about the Apex player idea,...LOTS of people basically recommend them as the "tank that goes (plays) where others won't" :) It's a good idea as far as I'm concerned if you don't have a dedicated home theater computer.

Finally, sorry for the combined reply...I'm about like RainDawg with keeping busy and it seemed a bit stupid to do 4 or 5 replies one after another.

I thank you for your inputs! :) :wave:

katnapz
2004-12-16, 06:23 PM
...shoot, knew I forgot something earlier...

Just to add on to my comments about differences in standards...

Maybe, just maybe, Nero telling you there is a problem means that it's much more sensitive than other programs. For all we know, Nero may be giving an error message as a warning in the same way that EAC gives an error message if it had one problem. I've had (at times in the past) problems with EAC ripping a silver CD and giving feedback that there was some problem at a certain spot.
So maybe Nero is the program to use for burning DVD's as it's much more exacting in the standards it upholds. That error message from DVD Shrink was the first I've ever gotten.

...don't know...brain fried for the night...

feralicious
2004-12-16, 07:19 PM
I wouldn't use DVDshrink to reencode. It's not going to be pretty. Why not use tempgenctpgencmlsprioajgadlgkjdaslklgfn... why couldn't they give that a normal name???... or canopus or something that's more into keeping quality.

And what was the DVD? Don't keep me in suspense! I beg you!!! :)

RainDawg
2004-12-16, 09:34 PM
I wouldn't use DVDshrink to reencode. It's not going to be pretty.
Why's that? It's the best way to shrink a DVD just enough and make it DVD compliant that I know of.

I do NOT condone re-encoding, but in the case where the disc is slightly out-of-spec like this, I think it's a good thing to do.

By the way, TMpgenc is a reasonable name I think. The name is T and it's an MPG ENCoder. OK, so it's not as nice as some others, but it's not totally unintelligible.

ssamadhi97
2004-12-16, 10:34 PM
katnapz:

Try downloading dvd patcher and use it to patch the max bitrate stored in headers to 8.0MBit

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=154#comments

Doing this should be enough to be able to burn the dvd and watch it without any problems. maybe make a backup copy of the video_ts folder on your harddisk, patch and see what you can come up with. Let us know how it turns out.

And finally tell us whatcha got, ffs ;)

ssamadhi97
2004-12-16, 10:39 PM
Why's that? It's the best way to shrink a DVD just enough and make it DVD compliant that I know of.
This kind of bitrate "peeling" is actually a bit more artifact-prone than re-encoding using a really good encoder - I'd guess DVD Rebuild with CCE would be the best way to do it if it can't be avoided.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure in this case re-encoding can be avoided by mere patching as described in my previous post. Hey, chances are that the video never peaks at 9.8MBit anyway -

MPEG-2, 720X576 25 fps PAL 9800kbps
Dolby Digital (AC-3) 48000 Hz Stereo, 192 kbps

That just screams "digital video broadcast". And these usually stay well below 8 MBit.

By the way, TMpgenc is a reasonable name I think. The name is T and it's an MPG ENCoder. OK, so it's not as nice as some others, but it's not totally unintelligible.
Yep.. Tsunami MPG Enc(oder) actually

feralicious
2004-12-17, 01:48 AM

I do NOT condone re-encoding, but in the case where the disc is slightly out-of-spec like this, I think it's a good thing to do.

By the way, TMpgenc is a reasonable name I think. The name is T and it's an MPG ENCoder. OK, so it's not as nice as some others, but it's not totally unintelligible.I know DVDShrink is free, but tests have shown that it makes an inferior quality picture when compared to a similar program Pinnacle when making the same size output. Also, they're sort of the consumer level stuff where as TMPGEnc or Cannopus are more for the fanatical types who are really into that. And what ssamadhi said too. ;)

Regarding screwy names, I just can't ever remember how the letters go. In my mind I say "temp encode", but now that you put it that way maybe it'll stick. :)

Oh and katnapz... vee have vays of making you talk. :whip: :whip:

katnapz
2004-12-17, 12:57 PM
katnapz:

Try downloading dvd patcher and use it to patch the max bitrate stored in headers to 8.0MBit

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=154#comments

Doing this should be enough to be able to burn the dvd and watch it without any problems. maybe make a backup copy of the video_ts folder on your harddisk, patch and see what you can come up with. Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks for the heads up on this program. I never would've realized from reading the description that it does anything like you mention. I'm guessing the end result output is the same structure/vobs?
I'm going to try both this program as well as DVD Shrink over the weekend (now that I'll have a bit more time to play) and just link into them both through the computer in my living room....that way I can just A/B them on a big screen tv without having to burn them first. I'll definately post an update in here to let you know how they compare (and also how user friendly DVD Patcher is for the those with a big learning curve. I've experimented with compressing in DVD Shrink, just to see how it works, but never really checked out the results.

Thanks to you and RainDawg for the suggestions....just haven't had time to really dig into them yet.

katnapz
2004-12-17, 01:01 PM

Now why did you give our little secret away feralicious? :D Thought it was between us and the cheap hotels we meet at.
...but now that you did,...oh baby!,...you know what I like! :whip: :whip:

Just remember, I get a turn tooooo!

feralicious
2004-12-17, 01:23 PM
:lol :lol

Which DVD is it? In case I have it sitting on my drive waiting for me to burn coasters.
And what was the DVD? Don't keep me in suspense! I beg you!!! :)

OMFG JUST TELL US WHAT DVD IT IS FFS!!!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Must be either pr0n or Back Street Boys... :lol

katnapz
2004-12-17, 05:03 PM
OMFG JUST TELL US WHAT DVD IT IS FFS!!!

Wow!,...do you make noises like a chipmunk when you get excited? :D

No, no pr0n,...just boring Van Morrison. A collection called "As we Sail Into The Music."

Does this mean you won't speak to me anymore? :cry: :cry: :cry: ...don't leave me now...

feralicious
2004-12-17, 08:18 PM
:lol Finally! Phew! :lol

katnapz
2004-12-18, 11:08 AM
Wow, what a learning experience this was...only slightly painful and I'm very glad that the rewritable DVD was invented or I'd be a lot poorer.

Hate to say this, but the disc(s) I got would not play consistantly for me. The one that still had the video_rm folder on it had the most problems, but at least the one you redid was seen by my standalone when on the menus, but would freeze up when trying to actually play the show.

Anyways, I tried a couple different ways to "fix" either disc and won't go into the multiple attempts that failed...

...other than I couldn't even get DVD Shrink to successfully open either...

...what did finally work is this:

-Ripped the video_ts folder over from the first disc you sent me (the one that still had the video_rm folder on it) using DVDCrypter with the instructions in this thread: http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/t218724.html

-After ripping the vobs, I wasn't able to get Nero/DVD Shrink/DVDCrypter to successfully load them for a burn...I then found out that the IFO(s) weren't ripped, so I tried copying them from the original video_ts folder on the disc, and then got a message about the file structure being messed up. Doing some reading it sounds like the standalone that created this disc creates a "bad" IFO (something about it duplicating the pointers to the files?) Tried IFOEdit,...and gave up on that about five minutes later as something that I can go back to if I ever want to learn more than I need to know at this point...

-I decided to use TMPEC DVD Author to just redo the entire disc from scratch. I read in a different thread that vobs, that have been ripped in the way that I did, sometimes have "pauses" in the final output where the vobs are joined on the DVD, I used this program (http://www.peretek.com/sfj.php) to join all the vobs into one big one.

-I loaded this one vob into TMPEC DVD Author, set new chapter marks, new menu, output everything and then burned off a disc. Loaded it into my standalone player...success!....tried it on a couple computers as well as two DVD players at a friends house with no hitches.

I did an A/B comparison between the disc I made and the vobs I received on the original disc (used WInDVD to play them through my bigscreen) and can't see any differences between the two, so I'm gonna call this a winner for me. I could go back and try to make the menus a bit nicer,..but, ah, they work 'cause I can get to where I need.

Might not work for everyone in every situation, and if the original DVD had been authored in a professional style I may have tried something different to keep all those bells and whistles but in this case it worked out better as I was able to insert my own chapters where I wanted them.

...it's bad juju how a standalone can create such a messed up disc....I couldn't get one of my computers to even recognize the disc when it was in the drive.

Bluesky22 - this certainly isn't a dig at you and I hope this helps you copy any other discs you have that are similiar. I've never dealt with a DVD like this before so it's a good learning experience (at least that's what I tell myself).
I'm certainly enjoying the show now that I'm able to watch it easily. Thanks for sending it my way :)

diggrd
2004-12-18, 08:11 PM
Tried IFOEdit,...and gave up on that about five minutes later as something that I can go back to if I ever want to learn more than I need to know at this point...
:)

you really should try it again it's a real good tool to check a d/l dvd before trying to burn it. It does have a barebones interface that isn't real intuitive but I have found the basics helpful and need to investigate some of the features a bit more

katnapz
2004-12-18, 09:54 PM
you really should try it again it's a real good tool to check a d/l dvd before trying to burn it. It does have a barebones interface that isn't real intuitive but I have found the basics helpful and need to investigate some of the features a bit more

I realize this is probably a question with a simple answer (i.e., go to videohelp.com), but do you have a link that breaks down the features and how to use them? (have pity on my feeble mind before you point me at one of those "advance user" sites)
It does look interesting, but I only see a bunch of text that makes me go :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: And would you mind expanding on your comment about using it to check out dvds? What can it check and if it finds something messed up, how simple does it explain the problem and can it fix that problem?

...as you see, a KISS overview would be helpful
(KISS=Keep It Simple Stupid,...although I've heard some people use it towards the band ;) )

Thanks!

BTW, would IFOEdit have been able to fix the problem created by that standalone burner? Would've made my life simplier for a couple hours.

katnapz
2004-12-19, 07:16 AM
I used this program (http://www.peretek.com/sfj.php) to join all the vobs into one big one.

Correction, I just figured out that you can DVD Decrypter to rip one big vob so this step can be dropped...

WTSHNN
2004-12-21, 06:13 PM
I'm trying to copy a DVD and keep getting errors.
I first tried doing just a straight Disc to Disc copy, but that didn't work, tried that on four PC's. Then tried using decryptor to transfer the files to my HD so I could just burn it from there. I get 248,512 kb into the final VOB and it gives me the above error. The disc is clean, not too badly scratched, no finger prints.
Any ideas?
Thanks
-Tim

squalldog
2004-12-21, 06:22 PM
I'm trying to copy a DVD and keep getting errors.
I first tried doing just a straight Disc to Disc copy, but that didn't work, tried that on four PC's. Then tried using decryptor to transfer the files to my HD so I could just burn it from there. I get 248,512 kb into the final VOB and it gives me the above error. The disc is clean, not too badly scratched, no finger prints.
Any ideas?
Thanks
-Tim

I've only had that problem when the disc was either scratched or not clean. You should resurface the disc...I was actually reading about a new solution for cleaning cds with some solution, cant remember what though. If I find the link I will post it. Otherwise use something to resurface the disc and it should work.

Edit: I found the link:
http://home-12.tiscali-business.nl/~tpm54044/restorecd/restorecd.htm

Has anyone tried that method for cleaning cds and what about dvds? It says not to try it with cd-rs.

ssamadhi97
2004-12-21, 08:06 PM
maybe try using a program like Arrowkey CD/DVD Inspector to salvage data from the dvd instead

(at least give it a try before running the risk of destroying the dvd in a resurfacing attempt ;) )

RainDawg
2004-12-21, 08:42 PM
I've been getting a few of these lately...the DVDs have been babied, sitting in a jewel case since they were burned. They all verified upon completion of the burning process. I can only conclude that DVD discs begin to degrade very rapidly, cauing the data to be unreadable.

I've begun burning my discs with par2 recovery files to correct for these seemingly unavoidable errors.

Gizby
2004-12-21, 08:51 PM
I've been relying heavily on DVDRs lately as a means of archiving shows, and it has always been a threat in the back of my mind that I will lose scores of shows if the discs start to go bad.

Can you post a link to any guides on par2 recovery? I've only had one experience of it, but that was quite some time ago.

squalldog
2004-12-21, 09:06 PM
I've been relying heavily on DVDRs lately as a means of archiving shows, and it has always been a threat in the back of my mind that I will lose scores of shows if the discs start to go bad.

Can you post a link to any guides on par2 recovery? I've only had one experience of it, but that was quite some time ago.

I was looking into this like a week ago, here is a link I got from ha:

http://www.angelfire.com/magic2/hq-audio/par2-guide.htm

carlton68
2004-12-21, 10:00 PM
So i got this new plextor dvd abd i cant understand the s/w that it came with
(eazy creator) is there some better s/w that i can use that might be alittle more easy to understand and use ?? any help and i would be grateful.

what is everyone useing to burn vids on dvd ?

U2Lynne
2004-12-21, 10:04 PM
Toast..... at least that is what I use on my Mac. :)

I believe PCers use Nero.

Gizby
2004-12-21, 10:07 PM
Interesting. Looks fairly simple. I'll be sure to include this data into my burns from now on. How good should the efficiency be? Obviously the highest possible will ensure that all files can be restored, but at a certain point the filesize gets to be a bit much.

RainDawg
2004-12-22, 08:12 AM
Use Quickpar...it's the most comprehensive filechecker of it's type, and is free software:
http://www.quickpar.org.uk/

I personally use as close to 20% rendundancy as I can. As you add files, it automatically sets the block size to be the most efficient that it can, generally > 95%. I also recommend unchecking the option that forces blocks to be the right size for usenet posting, unless you're planning on seeding them there.

I am currently going through my collection of 180 DVDRs and checking them for errors, and reburning as much as possible to new discs, with par2 recovery volumes.

RainDawg
2004-12-22, 08:13 AM
I am a PC user, and I use Nero for burning and DVDDecrypter for ripping.

geordy
2004-12-22, 12:44 PM

Those both work great for me, and there is a decent program called dvd2one to compress those pesky dual layer discs down so you can burn it on a single layer dvd. You can select movie only vs full disc, but I haven't noticed much of a difference either way.

Nero will convert mpeg to dvd pretty easily, but make sure that you note that the dvd was created from a compressed mpeg. If you have a bunch of avi files, my advice would be to not even mess with it. You have to convert the avi to mpeg before you can convert it to dvd files and you lose quality each time you convert it, so the dvd doesn't look nearly as good as the original avi file.

Just make sure you put down any source info when you create dvds. Dvds created from mpeg and avi files are the equivalent of mp3 sourced audio shows when you really get down to it.

squalldog
2004-12-22, 02:56 PM

I also use Nero to burn and DVDDecrypter to rip...for dual layer discs I use dvdshrink instead of dvd2one which I used to use before dvdshrink came out (if I am thinking of the right program).

squalldog
2004-12-22, 03:04 PM
Use Quickpar...it's the most comprehensive filechecker of it's type, and is free software:
http://www.quickpar.org.uk/

I personally use as close to 20% rendundancy as I can. As you add files, it automatically sets the block size to be the most efficient that it can, generally > 95%. I also recommend unchecking the option that forces blocks to be the right size for usenet posting, unless you're planning on seeding them there.

I am currently going through my collection of 180 DVDRs and checking them for errors, and reburning as much as possible to new discs, with par2 recovery volumes.

Thanks for the link.

feralicious
2004-12-22, 03:48 PM
I just switched over to Record Now Max for burning since I can put the txt, md5 and artwork outside the VIDEO_TS folder. I heard that there have been problems doing this with Nero.

jcrab66
2004-12-22, 08:30 PM
^^^^what he said, i expect i will be hitting the thread up for help when i attempt to try this.....

U2Lynne
2004-12-22, 10:15 PM
Anything like this for Macs? or linux?

jazzbo
2004-12-22, 10:45 PM
Anything like this for Macs? or linux?

http://parchive.sourceforge.net/

U2Lynne
2004-12-22, 10:56 PM
After following a few links from there..... for mac users, you now want to go here: http://www.xs4all.nl/%7Egp/MacPAR_deLuxe/

DDSTree
2004-12-22, 11:23 PM
I've only had that problem when the disc was either scratched or not clean. You should resurface the disc...I was actually reading about a new solution for cleaning cds with some solution, cant remember what though. If I find the link I will post it. Otherwise use something to resurface the disc and it should work.

I've had the same problem with one dvdr I have...and the disc appears flawless. It won't copy the one vob file but plays in all my dvd players (minus the standalone as it won't read -R)...can't believe it's a degredation issue since it does actually play just fine

thisistoto
2004-12-27, 02:16 PM
I love the program, but about a month ago, whenever I try to backup a DVD, the program just freezes.

I have tried to uninstall and reinstall on different hard drives, and have used both of my dvd drives, and still the same thing.

Any help?

Any other freeware programs like DVD shrink I can try?

kuba
2004-12-27, 02:18 PM
I don't know what exactly is DVD Shrink good for, but I use DVD Decrypter for copying DVDs.

katnapz
2004-12-27, 07:41 PM
I don't know what exactly is DVD Shrink good for, but I use DVD Decrypter for copying DVDs.

Shrink allows you to do a heck of a lot more than just copy a DVD. You can pick and choose what you want burned...which may not sound like much if the disc you're trying to copy is too big to fit on one DVDR and the french subtitles only take up a couple k's,...but do you always need that "making of" and "behind the scenes" stuff at the sacrifice of not fitting everything on one disc? Plus!, you can combine material from different DVD sources onto one (make your own compilation)...and a bunch of other stuff. If you haven't tried it you're missing out on A LOT of nice options.

thisistoto: Now on to the problem at hand....obviously you've rebooted from everything it sounds like you've done. What OS is it?...and just as importantly, do you remember installing anything not to long before the problem started? If you're on XP and have it set to auto update you may have had MS sneak into your system with something they thought would help :)

You could try defragging your hardrive(s) if you haven't done that in awhile.
Also, try CTL+ALT+DLT and shut down everything running in the background, and then try burning...this is an easy way to see if there's a program running in the background that may be fouling things up. If Shrink works then you can try just selectively turning off programs.

The only other advice I'd add is to ask one of the mods to move this thread over to the Technobabble section where it won't get so lost here....or you can just post new in there.

Give a shout back on how you're doing.

thisistoto
2004-12-28, 01:43 AM
Thanks so much Katnapz.

I do have XP on auto updae, so maybe MS problems in there.

And i do defrag my computer every week.

It must be something else complicating with it. Hm.

U2Lynne
2004-12-28, 07:37 PM
Moved with a Redirect to Technobabble. Toto, hopefully you will get more replies over there since that is what the forum is for. But, I left a Redirect so people can still find it in The Lounge.

h_vargas
2004-12-28, 11:35 PM
I just switched over to Record Now Max for burning since I can put the txt, md5 and artwork outside the VIDEO_TS folder. I heard that there have been problems doing this with Nero.

i *only* use RecordNow Max for burning DVDs. they're always compatible (i know this isn't an issue with newer Nero releases, but it was during their 5.x.x.x stages, from what i've read)... and like feralicious said, you can burn other files on the DVD±R disc with no problems. i often will burn MD5s, info files, and even artwork (JPEG files) *inside* the VIDEO_TS folder, just so they aren't ever "lost" and go along with any other copies of the DVD.

U2Lynne
2004-12-28, 11:42 PM
i often will burn MD5s, info files, and even artwork (JPEG files) *inside* the VIDEO_TS folder, just so they aren't ever "lost" and go along with any other copies of the DVD.
Have you tested that with your DVD player? That will cause major issues with most DVD players. It will do fine when you play the VIDEO_TS folder on your computer (some), but most DVD players will NOT like that.

And I don't understand this won't get lost thing? If you put them outside the VIDEO_TS folder, under the root folder, then they aren't lost. :confused:

diggrd
2004-12-29, 12:49 AM
Only till the next trader who grabs only the VIDEO_TS folder to burn :(

NINJA
2004-12-29, 03:39 AM
SONY VEGAS FOR EDITING AND RENDERING

AND

ULEAD DVD MOVIE FACTORY AND SOMETIMES SONY DVD ARCHITECH

TedBell
2004-12-29, 04:47 PM
our friends at stone pony have a great deal of info on this topic:
http://www.spl-messages.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=268760517&an=0&page=0#268760517

h_vargas
2004-12-30, 12:42 PM
Have you tested that with your DVD player? That will cause major issues with most DVD players. It will do fine when you play the VIDEO_TS folder on your computer (some), but most DVD players will NOT like that.

And I don't understand this won't get lost thing? If you put them outside the VIDEO_TS folder, under the root folder, then they aren't lost. :confused:

as diggrd alluded to - those files can "get lost" when the next person decides to just burn the VIDEO_TS folder, and not any other folders/files on the original disc. (because many DVD players will play a DVD±R that only has the VIDEO_TS folder, so that's all that a lot of people burn when copying discs.)

also, yes, i have burned over a hundred DVDs with MD5 checksums and info (.txt) files inside the VIDEO_TS folder and all of them work fine in my Philips DVD player, and in my friends' Sony and JVC DVD players.

sharemydog
2004-12-30, 02:07 PM
use imgtoolclassic to create an image(dvd), and dvddecrypter to burn this image...this way is totaly free. for nero users coujo coded a gui called imgtoolburn which use the installed nero engine. nero standalone is not a good choice...many many problems over a couple of versions

Kush
2005-01-04, 07:10 PM
Here is a listing of the brands of compatible media for my DVD burner. I was wondering which brands of compatible media are a good choice? I know TY (Fujifilm made in Japan) are the standard for CDR media but I'm not too sure about DVD media.

Not all forms of media are supported by this drive, and especially at the higher write speeds.
As a result, LiteON has compiled this list of recommended media:

DVD+R 16X: CMC, MCC, Sony

DVD+R9: MCC, Ritek, Ricoh

DVD-R 8X: CMC, GSC, Maxell, MCC, Prodisc, Ritek, Sony, TY

TheMamba
2005-01-04, 07:53 PM
I'm curious as to which Lite-On drive you have....

I just got a Lite-On SOHW-1633S a couple of days ago.

U2Lynne
2005-01-04, 08:55 PM
Two years ago when I got my DVD writer, I had someone recommend Ritek discs. I've been using them ever since and I've never had anyone say they've had problems (except one person who couldn't read DVD-Rs on their DVD player). I've gone through a few hundred by now.

Kush
2005-01-04, 09:16 PM
I have the same exact model. How do you like it so far?

I'm curious as to which Lite-On drive you have....

I just got a Lite-On SOHW-1633S a couple of days ago.

Kush
2005-01-04, 09:19 PM
Two years ago when I got my DVD writer, I had someone recommend Ritek discs. I've been using them ever since and I've never had anyone say they've had problems (except one person who couldn't read DVD-Rs on their DVD player). I've gone through a few hundred by now.

Thanx for the advice miss; I thought I read somewhere around here that Ritek discs were a good choice but I couldn't remember for sure. I bought a pack of Sony's, here in town, to test out the burner. I'll be ordering a bunch of discs soon and wanted to get some input.

TheMamba
2005-01-05, 06:08 AM
I've only had it installed in my computer for about a week now....got it with some Xmas money.

I like it so far...seems to be fairly quiet. BUT I haven't really "test driven" it yet. I've only burned two discs so far...and those were the 2 starter discs that came with it - just messing around more then serious burning.

I had not seen that list of media that Lite On recommends....I had bought some Fuji media at Best Buy on sale the other day. When I start burning I'll let you know how the Fuji stuff works.

RainDawg
2005-01-05, 07:32 AM
Go with the Ritek...I've had problems with all of the "main" brands, but very few with Ritek, and all of them were the result of a slowly dying drive, not the discs themselvs.

willndmb
2005-01-05, 01:56 PM
i don't care for ritek myself and stick with fuji, maxell, tdk, verbatim mostly
your drive should work with 99% of discs though so don't worry about that

videohelp.com and meritline used to have charts as well for players and burners you might want to look at if you are worried

thisistoto
2005-01-11, 03:42 PM
Thanks Lynne!

jcrab66
2005-01-11, 07:22 PM
Shrink allows you to do a heck of a lot more than just copy a DVD. You can pick and choose what you want burned...which may not sound like much if the disc you're trying to copy is too big to fit on one DVDR and the french subtitles only take up a couple k's,...but do you always need that "making of" and "behind the scenes" stuff at the sacrifice of not fitting everything on one disc? Plus!, you can combine material from different DVD sources onto one (make your own compilation)...and a bunch of other stuff. If you haven't tried it you're missing out on A LOT of nice options.

yes indeed, dvd shrink rules. I know so many people that have told me they couldnt copy a dvd because it was too big. Turned em on the shrink and now they are burning fools....

kuba
2005-01-24, 10:46 AM
I paid $120 for a burner (LiteOn), burned like 50 DVDs and 50 CDs (Verbatim) with some minor troubles and now, out from nowhere... four coasters in a row!! I'm asking, what the fuck?!? The dvds are not all messed up, one up to say ten songs fail md5 and cannot be copied from the dvd. One decent DVDR costs $1... Who the fuck is trying to screw me? I don't want to pay for such shit!! :mad: :disbelief :mad: Man, I'm really pissed off, where's my sledgehammer when I need it??

toys
2005-01-24, 10:48 AM
In a 50 spindle pack of CDr's, if there are 3 or 4 bad ones in the spindle they're usually right after one another. At least thats how it usually works for me.

tumbleweed
2005-01-24, 12:05 PM
try burning slower, like 4x or 8x

Sid
2005-01-24, 12:08 PM
Plextor :)
& Never overburn :nono:

fistula
2005-01-24, 01:06 PM
have you installed any different burning programs recently? that can cause bad burns when you get conflicting programs

kuba
2005-01-24, 01:24 PM
No conflicting programs, no overburns, speed 1x-4x (DVD+R).

Plextor is a great idea, but hey! I have to spend some money on food!! Take the price of Plextor in US, multiply by 2 and you get the price here. Nowadays Plextor can be purchased for $150 but I bought the burner in July 2004 (Plextors were around $300 those days).

It could have been caused by the media... I'll see...

jdawson
2005-01-24, 01:28 PM
what about firmware updates? try a different burning program.

SIBLY
2005-01-24, 01:54 PM
My Sony Vaio came with a Sony DL DVD burner, apparently made by LiteOn. It is crapping out, and it is about 6 weeks old. It gets stuck while writing the lead-out. Actually, the discs seem to burn ok, but I have to reboot to unlock the drive to get the disc out. Grrr. :disbelief

I just have to make time on a day it isn’t 50 below or snowing to take it back for a new one. The guy at the store (Best Buy) told me they would replace it with one off the shelf, so I hope to get a plextor.

AndreaSueEllen
2005-01-24, 02:04 PM
My Sony Vaio came with a Sony DL DVD burner, apparently made by LiteOn. It is crapping out, and it is about 6 weeks old. It gets stuck while writing the lead-out. Actually, the discs seem to burn ok, but I have to reboot to unlock the drive to get the disc out. Grrr. :disbelief

I just have to make time on a day it isn’t 50 below or snowing to take it back for a new one. The guy at the store (Best Buy) told me they would replace it with one off the shelf, so I hope to get a plextor.

i had a sony vaio, and i HATED it!

jdawson
2005-01-24, 02:04 PM
I have a sony, mine came with a pioneer dvd burner. We've been looking for a pc for the boys so they don't load mine up with games, after talking with the guys at BB they seemed to think it was a great selling point that sony has gone to using lite-on's. I know others have not had any problems with them but after our first experience with them (two drives) giving out at close to the same time, I don't trust them. But that is me. I would suggest talking with DDStree or maybe stephen (raindawg) and see if they can help. SIBLY, keep an eye on newegg.com. they had a plextor on sale about 2 or 3 weeks ago for $90 and I think there was an additional mail in rebate to bring it down even cheaper. I'm monitoring because I want to upgrade ours, only burns 2x (not all the time), they do have a NEC on there for around $65 right now.

JayDub
2005-01-24, 02:07 PM
The dvds are not all messed up, one up to say ten songs fail md5 and cannot be copied from the dvd.
I had exactly this problem for a while. Slight difference, however.. I'm not sure I was ever able to get it working perfectly from when I installed the Plextor 708a. But finally I installed Nero, and it's been working fine since. No coasters that I recall, since I switched to Nero.

And my issue was like yours. Part of the discs might be readable, but past a point, everything was either not accessible or failed md5. Using Nero solved my problem.

kuba
2005-01-24, 02:53 PM
Yep, but solving my problem wasn't the main point.

Don't you have a feeling that you're spending your money on "shiny crap" much more these days than ever before??

I get angry everytime I go to the shop and want some quality stuff... Soundcard, blank dvds/cds, headphones, whatever... It's very hard to find decent products. Who would by a soundcard for 3000 if he can buy one for 1000, no matter what piece of crap the latter is. The sellers even tell you that it's the best you can buy and they don't even stock the former !! You have to really get into the stuff you're buying in order not to get screwed by them. It's quite usual I actually know more than the shop assistant, but it's a must.

damn :hmm:

SIBLY
2005-01-24, 03:17 PM
Shiny crap indeed. Right on! My 4 year old is quite hapy to get a $.99 Hot Wheels car. Oh, to be young...

SIBLY
2005-01-24, 03:21 PM
i had a sony vaio, and i HATED it!I love it. The PVR function is awesome. And it is quiet. Just this piece of hardware died and it made me mad. Otherwise, I love it.

Thanks Ms. Dawson, but the warranty will cover the drive.

The Wicker Man
2005-01-24, 04:02 PM
No conflicting programs, no overburns, speed 1x-4x (DVD+R).

Plextor is a great idea, but hey! I have to spend some money on food!! Take the price of Plextor in US, multiply by 2 and you get the price here. Nowadays Plextor can be purchased for $150 but I bought the burner in July 2004 (Plextors were around $300 those days).

It could have been caused by the media... I'll see...

Yes, the media is to blame for everything.

Five
2005-01-24, 09:48 PM
moving to TB

hopefully you'll get some more replies here

personally, I'm not sure why you're getting coasters. I get about 1 coaster out of every spool and it's usually my fault. I burn data with Nero that came with my burner.

wazoo2u
2005-01-25, 08:27 AM
I just bought a Lite-On 1633S that was a DOORSTOP, right out of the box.

Won't burn any DVD media at all. Spent the better part of a day reading the Lite-on forums, and the CD Freaks forums, and guess what ? Lite-On Drives have major problems that the manufacturer won't fess up to. Seems like there was a huge batch of these drives that were distro'ed, and are all NFG.

Trying to RMA the drive from the retailer, but I bought it a month ago & just got around to installing it. Any more hassle from this, and I'll just buy a Pioneer and throw the fucking thing in the trash. :mad:

fatoldpig
2005-01-26, 07:01 PM
I have a pioneer A06, burned about 300 dvds and several hundred cds so far and not even one coaster and i used all kinds of media. My 5 year old plextor cd writer is flawless too. I think i'll stick to Plextor, pioneer & yamaha.

wazoo2u
2005-01-26, 07:24 PM
I have a pioneer A06, burned about 300 dvds and several hundred cds so far and not even one coaster and i used all kinds of media. My 5 year old plextor cd writer is flawless too. I think i'll stick to Plextor, pioneer & yamaha.
Yup. Owned Plextor exclusively until I bought a Yamaha F-1 to use that stupid laser disc label thing (that never worked), but it turned out to be a decent CDR burner. Does DAE and audio burns nicely.

Been using the Pioneer drives at work, and have been very pleased. I had a brain fart, and cheaped out... bought the Lite-On, even though I wanted the Pioneer. Saved $60, and threw $70 in the toilet. Ahhhh.. the lessons learned.:(

I'm RMA'ing the Lite-On, but might just go out and replace it anyhow. I can always Fle-Bay it.

fwz
2005-01-26, 11:17 PM
I have a pioneer A06, burned about 300 dvds and several hundred cds so far and not even one coaster...

lite-on sohw-1653s (internal)
lite-on ltr-48125w (external firewire)

i use TY discs only and not one coaster though i must say that the 1653s is only one month old as it replaced my old pioneer a03.

Kush
2005-01-27, 06:46 AM
Here is a list of compatible media for LiteOn DVD burning drives.
Not all forms of media are supported by this drive, and especially at the higher write speeds.

DVD+R 16X: CMC, MCC, Sony

DVD+R9: MCC, Ritek, Ricoh

DVD-R 8X: CMC, GSC, Maxell, MCC, Prodisc, Ritek, Sony, TY

DVD+RW 4X: CMC, Daxon, Infodisc, MCC, Philips, Prodisc, Ricoh, Ritek, Sony

DVD-RW 4X: CMC, JVC, MCC, Princo, Prodisc, Ritek, TDK

CD-R 48X: CMC, Gigastorage, LeadData, Ritek, SAST, TY

Low Speed CD-RW: CMC, Daxon, Gigastorage, Infodisc, LeadData, MCC, Princo, Prodisc, Ricoh, Ritek

High Speed CD-RW: CMC, Daxon, Fornet, Gigastorage, Infodisc, LeadData, MCC, NANYA, Princo, Prodisc, Ricoh, Ritek

Ultra Speed CD-RW: CMC, Daxon, Infodisc, Mitsubishi, Prodisc, Ritek

wazoo2u
2005-01-27, 05:55 PM
Here is a list of compatible media for LiteOn DVD burning drives.
<SNIP>
Lite-On can kiss my big hairy butt. NEVER again will I recommend one of their products.

If you hurry, you can stand under my window... I'll be throwing my RMA'ed 1633S out of it, as soon as it arrives.

Looks like I'll order the Pioneer 109 or 108 drive. Too bad I didn't research this stuff much before I bought. Plextor spoiled me by burning and reading ANYTHING that I threw into the drive. This "recommended media" is a load of crap. Make the drive work, or don't sell the damm thing.

The NEC 3500 series seems decent too. Lots of info at CD Freaks and Anandtech, and now (at least) I have some knowledge about PI and PO error rates, and the tools to check them.

Watta load o' crap.... :disbelief

DDSTree
2005-01-27, 06:22 PM
what about firmware updates? try a different burning program.
my thoughts exactly here

and wazoo...sorry you've had such a bad experience with Lite-On...they've been such a good drive for me for the past few years...

wazoo2u
2005-01-27, 08:14 PM
my thoughts exactly here

and wazoo...sorry you've had such a bad experience with Lite-On...they've been such a good drive for me for the past few years...
I would have thought the same Doc, based on their CD burners, but reading the CD Freaks forums, I see where their DVD products just fall short in a number of key areas, media compatibility being one of them.

I don't want to be tied into one brand of media, because (as we all know) BRANDS don't mean squat because the media can be made by anyone and then badged for resale.

I'm sure there have been some satisfied users, but after doing the research that I should have done initially, I know KNOW not to buy the current series of Lite-ON, and judging by their lack of response to the hordes of people who DO have problems with these drives, I'd be hesitant to involve myself with ANY of their product in the future.

For $25 more, I can get the newest, bestest Pioneer, and their 108 drives have burned any media I've thrown into them so far.

rerem
2005-02-01, 08:39 AM
My Lite-on has done 800+ CD's and the 2 coasters I got were when the electricity went out. My housemate brought home some blanks from work,said he heard they sucked-well neither of my burners even recognized that they were in the drive-so they were pre-coastered crap.

kuba
2005-02-01, 09:04 AM
This "recommended media" is a load of crap. Make the drive work, or don't sell the damm thing.

Watta load o' crap.... :disbelief

Exactly.

Problem is I had very limited choice. I always hit the ceiling when I see how electronic is fuckin' overpriced here. :disbelief :disbelief :mad:

As soon as I manage to put together $180 for a Plextor or Pioneer I'll buy one, that's for sure.

livedead13
2005-02-01, 10:50 AM
I have a sony vaio and also hate it. I put a hp dual layer dvd burner in it and had a few problems at first. It does not like nero (or my vaio does not like it, not sure which) and I have to burn at the speed the disc is labled. Which seems logical, but CDs don't work that way. Anyway, I made a few coasters before I figured it out. Never had any problems with a certain brand of media though.

Roger Daltrey
2005-02-05, 11:00 PM
I have Sonic My Dvd (LE version 5, dvd burner), and it will not open up .BUP .VOB and .IFO files, which are the files that the Bit torrent downloaded. So I can't get any of my dvd's that I downloaded onto a blank dvd. Does anyone else know anything I can do to get it to accept those files, or would it be best to get another dvd burning software? I'm pretty sure Nero 6 supports those files, but i'm not planning on paying $99 for it! Are there some older Nero dvd burning software thats cheaper that supports the files I listed above? And what other dvd burning software accpets those files?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

DrRinse
2005-02-06, 06:04 AM
Why dont you just download Nero from the official site, then get a keygen for it? There are scores of keygens for Nero out there.

livedead13
2005-02-06, 03:27 PM
It is wierd that the program that came with your dvd burner would not support dvd files. I agree with the above post and get a nero keygen, although nero does not work for me. I just use copy2dvd, a very small and simple dvd burning program that has not caused me any problems. You can also get a keygen for this program, but it is very cheap if you are not into pirating software.

Roger Daltrey
2005-02-06, 03:51 PM
I just bought Nero 6, the files work, but I can't figure out how to use the menue that was with the download I have (Metallica June 4th, 2004 dvd). I have the menue on there, but when you preview it, it plays for less than a second, then goes to the next page of the menue, and that goes by in less than a second, and the same for the 3rd menue. After that it goes directly to the first song and plays fine after that. I just need to figure out how to get the menus(that came with the download) to work so I can choose the songs off of it.

IM me on AIM if you know how to fix that- KdsoLb135

mrPalmer
2005-02-07, 01:34 PM
ive wasted to many damn dvds trying to burn a plain video_ts folder with menus all ready built in.
ok so i open toast 6 >click on DVD > turn OFF the create menu options (since the video_ts folder all ready has them included) > Burn..
now when i go to play, it plays the menu as chapter one and i have to wait 2.5 minutes to get trough to the begining of the show(s). not to mention it isnt seekable via seperated chapters.
i need help cause this is costing too much money and time wasting dvds.:mad: thanks. :)

lucasweb
2005-02-07, 01:54 PM
after you burn one coaster you should seek help.

What i always do to burn a dvd is i take the Video_ts folder and drop it on to DVD imager ( http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19456 ) that program will make a .img file, then go into toast, click on utilities then select mount disc image, pick the img file, it will be mounted on the desktop and might even laugh the dvd player depending on your preferences. Now go to the main toast window and pick copy, click the read from thing and select the mounted image, then click burn and it should work from there

plus im sure there is also info that would answer your question in the faq

U2Lynne
2005-02-07, 02:14 PM
Burning DVD-Rs on a Mac (http://u2lynne.sandsmuseum.com/burning.html)

Hope that helps!

ffooky
2005-02-07, 03:38 PM
The UDF + new disc + AUDIO_TS + VIDEO_TS is good if you want to use up available space with other data but the easiest method is to go to Toast's Video tab, click the little button on the left that makes the drawer come out, select the advanced tab and then select "DVD Video from VIDEO_TS". Drag in yer VIDEO_TS folder and burn away.

U2Lynne
2005-02-07, 03:57 PM
....but the easiest method is to go to Toast's Video tab, click the little button on the left that makes the drawer come out, select the advanced tab and then select "DVD Video from VIDEO_TS". Drag in yer VIDEO_TS folder and burn away.
Hmmm, my Toast doesn't have that option. :confused:

ffooky
2005-02-07, 04:10 PM
Mine's 6.0.7. I didn't have a DVD burner with any earlier versions so I'm not sure at what point it was added. It's a free update for any earlier version of 6......

Roger Daltrey
2005-02-07, 09:11 PM
I'm having the same problem with Nero 6. I have the menus that came in the download, but they don't work when I add them to create a dvd, I tried burning it, but the menu doesn't work. And I can't figure out how to remove the create a menu so I don't have one. This is really starting to piss me off, I finally got a dvd burner, and it's not even playing the menus, and all I get is 4 chapters and no menu that works :mad:

Any help would be great.

U2Lynne
2005-02-07, 10:52 PM
Roger, I would start another thread since Toast is a Mac app (only) and Nero is a PC app (only). You may not have much PC help in this thread.

h_vargas
2005-02-07, 11:48 PM
Roger Daltrey - what version of Nero do you have? i don't think i've ever noticed a "create menu" option in Nero for the DVD-Video compilation. are you using Nero Express or normal Nero Burning ROM? :hmm:

mrPalmer
2005-02-08, 10:31 AM
after you burn one coaster you should seek help.

What i always do to burn a dvd is i take the Video_ts folder and drop it on to DVD imager ( http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19456 ) that program will make a .img file, then go into toast, click on utilities then select mount disc image, pick the img file, it will be mounted on the desktop and might even laugh the dvd player depending on your preferences. Now go to the main toast window and pick copy, click the read from thing and select the mounted image, then click burn and it should work from there

plus im sure there is also info that would answer your question in the faq
thank you so much. i think this was the answer i was looking for. i did search the Toast FAQ but either im blind or am too impatient and didnt find the answer.

snakeeyedsissy
2005-02-08, 02:54 PM
i'm burning video DVDs with files already on my hard drive. Now I am very unhappy because I just burned a bunch of data cds to clear space off my hard drive only now to see that nothing has been burn to any of the discs. So I just lost about 4 gigs of stuff Evil or Very Mad. Worst part is that even if there is no blank disc in the drive it will actually go through the whole burning process and say that the burn was successful. THERE ISN"T EVEN ANYTHING IN THE DRIVE FOR CHRISSAKES!!!!!! If anybody could help me with this that would be great. Its an LG drive I'm not sure what model though.
Here's what it does when I go to burn. It asks me to save the Image file somewhere. I thought that was weird seeing as I have never had to save Image files with my own burner. I thought this might be different seeing as it was a DVD burner, but my guess would be that thats the problem.

Thanks,
Mike

Roger Daltrey
2005-02-08, 03:58 PM
I already have a thread about it, it's the one about dvd help not far down the page. I posted about the menus on that one as well.

I have Nero 6 Ultra Edition. The menus already with the download do not let you choose the songs on it. Now I just figured out how to add the chapters in, but since the downloaded file has 3 separate parts, the last song in each part plays through to the next part, but when I preview it, the song stops for a second and then picks right back up. I'm still trying to figure out both problems that I have, but if anybody can help me that would be great.

I'm gona copy this into the other thread I have, sorry for changing the topic on this thread.

Five
2005-02-08, 04:01 PM
I think maybe what happened is you burned the ISO image file on your drive instead of to the disc. If you can find the files with extension .iso then there's a way to burn those.

search you whole computer for *.iso

hope this helps

Roger Daltrey
2005-02-08, 04:01 PM
I have Nero 6 Ultra Edition. The menus already with the download do not let you choose the songs on it. Now I just figured out how to add the chapters in, but since the downloaded file has 3 separate parts, the last song in each part plays through to the next part, but when I preview it, the song stops for a second and then picks right back up. I'm still trying to figure out both problems that I have, but if anybody can help me that would be great.

snakeeyedsissy
2005-02-08, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the help Five, but I got my question answered at R-O first.

Thanks,
Mike

Patdro
2005-02-10, 05:03 AM
I am new to the site and have downloaded my first video file, and would like to burn it to a DVD. However, when I drag the .vob files into iMovie i get an error message that the file couldn't be parsed. I figured it wouldn't be that easy, any suggestions on how I can get this done. Is there other software I need?

twist79ni
2005-02-10, 06:15 AM
You'll need to use Roxio Toast to burn a DVD(i think there's a free/lite version on their website)

When you have it just follow these steps:

Toast 6 : Data > DVD-ROM (UDF) > Drag Video_TS folder to window > Click Burn

ffooky
2005-02-10, 07:46 AM
After selecting "DVD-ROM (UDF)", click "New Disc" before dragging in the VIDEO_TS folder. For maximum compatibility with stand alone players, create an empty folder called AUDIO_TS as well. The latest Toast Titanium (6.0.7) has a "DVD-Video from VIDEO_TS folder" function.

Evenreven
2005-02-10, 09:50 AM
^^^ what they said. U2Lynne linked to a page of hers in a similar thread that has various instructions. I guess it's okay for you, U2Lynne, if I link to it?

http://u2lynne.sandsmuseum.com/burning.html

U2Lynne
Burning DVDRs on a Mac (http://u2lynne.sandsmuseum.com/burning.html)

Evenreven
Wow! You beat me to it! :)

U2Lynne
2005-02-10, 09:59 AM
hehe. That's funny, we posted at the same time. :)

Evenreven
2005-02-10, 10:15 AM
ESP :wave:

jingobah
2005-02-16, 06:58 PM
Hey everyone. I'm very new to this DVD thang. I'm using Nero Vision Express2 to burn on a Dell PC. I just got an I/O DVD Burner. I downloaded a Phish DVD from this site. I checked the MD5, the files seem fine. The problem is that whenever I try to burn it says "Unable to Prepare Data For Transcoding, Prepare session Failed, Transcoding Of Videos Failed" I'm doing everyhting that it says in the manual. Any help would be great. Thanks!!

RainDawg
2005-02-17, 07:24 AM
Are you trying to butn the discs as a "Video-DVD" project? I have not used Nero Vision, but it seems that it should work seamlessly. Give some more detials about OS and what type of disc you're telling Nero to burn and I'll try to further diagnose.

jingobah
2005-02-17, 11:27 AM
I'm trying to burn as a "Video-DVD" project. I add the files I've downloaded to the contents page. The files then get imported to a Nerovision folder. When I go to burn, it says the files are being transcoded. Sometimes the transcoding completes & it starts burning to disc. Eventually the process always fails. I'm not sure what OS is... :hmm: Operating System?

RainDawg
2005-02-17, 11:50 AM
Ahh...I'll bet that the video is PAL? Nero will sometimes try to convert to NTSC before making a DVD. This conversion, unfortunately, is lossy and renders the disc untradeable.

Try making a data disc and put just the Video_TS folder in the root of the disc, along with a blank Audio_TS folder.

jingobah
2005-02-17, 01:43 PM
Actually the dvd I downloaded is NTSC. What is a Video_TS folder? I don't have one of those on my computer. I just downloaded the dvd files to a folder in my documents & then added them to the contents in Nero Vision.

jingobah
2005-02-17, 03:56 PM
Okay..I figured it out. I didn't even need to go into the Nero Vision Program. I opened up Nero Express & chose the DVD-Video otion & BAM!! There was the Video_TS folder. I added the files in there & burnrd them with no problem. Thanks for your help RainDawg, I appreciate it.

RainDawg
2005-02-18, 07:12 AM
Good! Anything else you need, just ask....

PS This is exactly how I (and many others) burn their DVDs, so you're set now.

Windorabug
2005-02-19, 02:35 PM
OK here is my horrible delimea..I m trying to burn a DVD with 7.1 gig of iNFO......but everytime i try to burn a dvd it wont let me....

man im stupid...Any kind suggestions.....PLEASE?

tapergirl
2005-02-19, 02:39 PM
HI - I too am new to downloading and burning DVDs. I downloaded a Phish montage DVD, and got VIDEO_TS.IFO, VIDEO_TS.VOB, VIDEO_TS.BUP and VTS_01_0.VOB thru VTS_01_3.VOB files, plus a text and md5 file. (The md5 was in the VIDEO_TS folder, although i think it's supposed to be outside that folder with the text file?)
I'm on a Mac dual processor G3 tower. I have VLC media player v0.8.1 but when i play the video there is no audio. It will play all the VOB files separately too, but no audio. How do i get the audio and then how do i burn this to a DVD: i have both iDVD and Titanium Toast or do i need something else? Thanks for the help

Windorabug
2005-02-19, 02:48 PM
Anyone?????????????????????

U2Lynne
2005-02-19, 02:53 PM
Burning DVDs on a Mac (http://u2lynne.sandsmuseum.com/burning.html)

Did you use xACT to run the md5 file on the DVD files and make sure that they are all OK? Then I would take the md5 out of the VIDEO_TS folder and try playing it that way and see if you get audio. Also, did you try using the Mac DVD player to play the DVD and see if you have audio using that player?

U2Lynne
2005-02-19, 02:55 PM
Well, you aren't telling anybody what OS, what burning program, and what you have tried to do that was unsuccessful.

But, besides that, you can only fit ~ 4.3 GB worth of info on a typical DVD, so I'm not sure what to tell you about how to burn your DVD.

tapergirl
2005-02-19, 03:07 PM
thanks so much for the quick reply, since i posted i took the md5 out of the VIDEO_TS folder and threw the folder into toast and burned it. The DVD does not contain the FBI warning Card and other titles that I see in the original files but all 3 of the video files (with audio) that contain the content have been combined into one and play just fine. I just guess I'll experiment further.....
VLC still plays without audio but the Mac DVD player plays with audio. i guess i'm on my way, thanks!!!

Windorabug
2005-02-19, 03:13 PM
Oh i have a G5 running osx. what other info is needed?I will check that place thank you.

U2Lynne
2005-02-19, 03:56 PM
Well, I still don't see how you think you are going to get 7.1 GB worth of info onto a 4.3 GB DVD unless there is something your aren't telling us.

I would try posting for help in the thread where you got this show. Perhaps someone else can shed some light on how they went about burning it.

Also, another place to look for help is videohelp.com. They are all about DVDs and they have forums there and one just for Macs.

ffooky
2005-02-19, 04:53 PM
I've had audioless files with VLC before and the trick was to go Audio->Audio Track->Track 2. I presume standalones detect this automatically but VLC needs a little help.

nubisco
2005-03-03, 08:24 AM
I just downloaded moe2004-02-07 on dvd with video TS folders, but i cant figure out how to burn the whole package onto dvd using the Click to DVD program that came with my computer. The VOB files work but the timing on tracks gets messed up and i cant figure out how to set up the title menu and what not. Thanks for any help,
Jim

feralicious
2005-03-03, 02:12 PM
What OS are you using?

Got Nero?

Got Toast?

Got milk?

videohelp.com is a great resource and may have the answer to using the program you already have if you don't have the above.

nubisco
2005-03-03, 04:45 PM
Im on windows XP pro. I checked that site earlier and there's nothing on Click to DVD so I guess I'll be going with Nero if thats my best option. thanks for the advice.

feralicious
2005-03-03, 04:46 PM
Yeah just use Nero. Put all your files in the VIDEO_TS folder on the left handside and burn away. :)

diggrd
2005-03-03, 11:27 PM
Unless you have the newest version then you have to put the whole VIDEO_TS folder in because it doesn't pre-create any folders :hmm:

thirtysixwood
2005-03-09, 11:59 AM
OK, well I looked around at some of the topics, but didnt seem to find what I was looking for so....

I downloaded the Phish 6-22-00 show, which by the way I attended, and looks great. Anyway, I use the PLEX TOOLS PROFESSIONAL that came with my PLEXTOR PX-716. I did the whole burning process and everything, The disk plays thru the DVD player on the computer, but when I put it into my DVD player for my TV it didnt work??? I read in one post something about SONY not being to nice about these things,, which unfortunately I just bought yesterday???? But I ruled that out as a problem because I have a modded x box that plays anything and everything, I tried both modes of the XBOX, normal and Modded.... Nothing????? I am trying to get into the trading business, and trying to get a collection.... If someone could please help me out here it would be much appreciated.

I feel so stupid that I dont know how to do these things, I have been to websites, I have read this stupid manual like 5 times already, nothing seems to ever work for me....

Well thanks a bunch, I hope I can have this problem fixed soon, with of course a little help from you guys and gals.

Thanks,
Justin

trojandomer
2005-03-09, 12:01 PM
I am not too familiar with the process. The only thing I could think of is that you burned it as a data disc with just the video_TS folder. DVD players need a dvd-video format not a data format. Usually the only difference is the presence of a blank folder labeled audio_TS.

thirtysixwood
2005-03-09, 12:20 PM
So are you saying I need to add that audio_TS folder? or not too, here is a list of the files I have for that show.....

phish200.6.22d1VIDEO_TS inside this folder contains.... VIDEO_TS, and then the music is in this file which are VOB files and it says nothing about VIDEO_TS OR AUDIO_TS same thing for the phish2000.6.22d2VIDEO_TS file

The VOB files are the only files I burned, I didnt put any of the BUP files on the disc. Should I ???

About the burn process, I use the CD/DVD rom maker, then for the project I have chosen both DVD ROM ISO and DVD ROM UDF. whats really the difference??? and thats really about it.

Do you have a suggestion for a program that you are familiar with that might help eliminate some of these questions, and help solve the problem???

U2Lynne
2005-03-09, 12:30 PM
If you looked at the DVD, the files structure should be like this:

VIDEO_TS
> all VOBs
> all IFOs
> all BUPs
AUDIO_TS
> nothing in here at all

jraras
2005-03-09, 12:37 PM
I think what happened is that you just burnt the data on to a DVD, you didn't make a DVD that's able to be played in a commerical player. From a quick look on the plextools site it doesn't look like that software can make a video DVD, so you should download a demo version of Nero ROM or GEAR and use that to burn and see which one you like better... you'll get 20-30 days demo use before you have to pay up.

Those programs' websites and help functions will guide you through the process of properly burning a video DVD.

http://ww2.nero.com/us/index.html

http://www.gearsoftware.com/

best,
Jim

tannis
2005-03-09, 04:06 PM
hi folks , i seem to be suffering a recurring problem with dvd's that i'm burning , very often when attempting to rip the burns to my hard drive for trades or whatever the rips will stop at 61/62% and i get an error message , it does not matter what ripping program that i use i still get the same problem.

normally i would think that the answer would be bad media , but i use ritek g04 discs (purple dye) so i cannot see that as the problem , my dvd is a liteon sohw812 and i use nero to burn the discs originally.

i should stress that this problem also happens when i try to rip discs recorded on a standalone dvd recorder.

if anyone has any ideas as to why this is then that would be appreciated , also with the discs that i can't rip , is there anyway around this problem as i cant trade them as they are.

ssamadhi97
2005-03-09, 04:45 PM
Have you tried ripping them on a different drive / computer?

rherron
2005-03-09, 04:58 PM
[QUOTE=thirtysixwood]

The VOB files are the only files I burned, I didnt put any of the BUP files on the disc. Should I ???

QUOTE]

Yes!!

Put everything in the VIDEO_TS folder. IFO and BUP and VOB. Then burn the DVD.

Rob

tannis
2005-03-09, 05:56 PM
Have you tried ripping them on a different drive / computer?

no i haven't tried doing that yet.

thirtysixwood
2005-03-09, 06:07 PM
Well guys, I think someone said it correctly when they said they didnt think the PLEX TOOLS PROFESSIONAL could do video DVD. By the way I tried putting everything on the DVD and it still didnt work, So I am off to Best Buy again for the 50th time this week to purchase something Probably the Nero 6.6, but I will see what they have to say.

I will post again to let everyone know how it goes.

AAR.oner
2005-03-09, 06:21 PM
make sure yer up to date on the Liteon's firmware [check if there are any for nero as well]...i had some wierd problems when using Ritek G05 disks, and it was corrected after updating firmware for my burner...if that doesn't work, i would check and see if the same thing happens when re-uploading them to another computer...if it does, it might be some sort of issue with the batch of discs maybe, or possibly a glitch in the program you used to burn to disc in the first place? good luck...

jraras
2005-03-09, 06:29 PM
Don't go back to BBY!!

I was misinformed... DVD decrypter availible online for free (plus any voluntary dontation) will do everything you need and not mess w/ the BUP and IFO files, which Nero apparently does.

http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

Check it out!

h_vargas
2005-03-09, 07:24 PM
perhaps a stupid question, but are you on a PC (i.e. not Mac)? if so, have you tried the simple drag & drop in Windows? (or copy & paste the VIDEO_TS folder from the burned DVD to a destination on your hard drive.) often that method will work and make perfectly fine error-free copies when ripping software (e.g. DVDDecrypter) has problems. just another thought.

also, i second AAR.oner's recommendation to make sure your LiteOn drive's firmware is up-to-date. with media changing a bit (to accomodate for DVD drives with faster burning speeds), it's sometimes crucial to have updated firmware to be able to burn certain media using certain burners.

thirtysixwood
2005-03-09, 10:02 PM
Well, I went to best buy anyway.... and I bought the Nero 6.6, I must say after 2 hours, I figured it out, and am now watching Wolfmans Brother, sure brings back memories. Anyway, I want to thank you all for helping me out, and responding quickly. the only thing that could make me happier is to see some pictures of the progress of my custom made guitar....

Anyway, thanks again...
Justin Gentry

U2Lynne
2005-03-09, 10:04 PM
perhaps a stupid question, but are you on a PC (i.e. not Mac)? if so, have you tried the simple drag & drop in Windows? (or copy & paste the VIDEO_TS folder from the burned DVD to a destination on your hard drive.) often that method will work and make perfectly fine error-free copies when ripping software (e.g. DVDDecrypter) has problems. just another thought.

I'm on a Mac and I have to just drag and drop. But, before you do this MAKE AN MD5 CHECKSUM OF THE VIDEO_TS CONTENTS FROM THE DVD FIRST! Then, after you drag and drop, you can use the checksum against the VIDEO_TS folder you just created on your hard drive and make sure it copied over error free.

Five
2005-03-09, 10:12 PM
I'm on PC, I just drag and drop, too. I generate an md5 directly from the DVD then save and test it with the files copied to my HD.

pawel
2005-03-09, 10:17 PM
Ritek aka Verbatim do not work well with LiteOn burners. When scanned for errors PI/PIF in KProbe they look like a crap. Also Tayo Yuden is not so good as reported for other burners. I found that the best brand for my 811S is TDK (CMC, MCC). More info you will find at http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93944
- see there links to various media tests.
:wave:

h_vargas
2005-03-10, 12:11 AM
I'm on a Mac and I have to just drag and drop. But, before you do this MAKE AN MD5 CHECKSUM OF THE VIDEO_TS CONTENTS FROM THE DVD FIRST! Then, after you drag and drop, you can use the checksum against the VIDEO_TS folder you just created on your hard drive and make sure it copied over error free.

U2Lynne -

my bad, i thought it went without saying to do a check on the copied and pasted files. i use DirPrudence to do file checking when the disc doesn't have an MD5 to begin with.

and btw - i figured Macs could do the classic drag & drop for copying DVDs. but since i've never used a Mac for copying DVDs, i didn't want to assume that it would work fine. (unfortunately, the majority of my Mac experience is only in the word processor program. :( )

pawal -

good luck with the TDK DVDs lasting. well, nix that. good luck to everyone, with every brand of DVD, lasting... since it's still somewhat relatively new technology (less than 20 years old), it will be interesting to see how long the data lasts...

tannis
2005-03-10, 07:08 AM
wow......thanks everyone for the response , ive got plenty of things to try out now , hopefully i can get things sorted.

pawel.....thanks for that link , it just goes to show doesnt it as everyone recommends ritek g04's yet liteon burners dont like them , i also see that they're not very good with -r discs , guess which one's ive been using :rolleyes:

U2Lynne
2005-03-10, 10:08 AM
U2Lynne -

my bad, i thought it went without saying to do a check on the copied and pasted files. i use DirPrudence to do file checking when the disc doesn't have an MD5 to begin with.
It might go without saying to you or I, but there are a bunch of newbies out there who wouldn't even think to make sure the data came over fine. Do you know how many people don't realize that you can make an md5 checksum for files other than shns? :) (And then there are those that are clueless on what to do with the md5 they downloaded with the shns and just throw it away when archiving the show. :disbelief )

jingobah
2005-03-10, 11:33 AM
Ok. Last month when I got my new internal burner I put it in my Dell Dimension & installed the Nero that came with it. I didn't configure anything & when I burned DVD's off my hardrive it would take maybe 10 minutes to burn 4GB. It burned at 8x. Recently I had to reinstall windows & everything on my computer got wiped out. I re-installed the Nero. Now when I burn a DVD off my hardrive it takes over an hour to burn 4GB!!! It still says burning at 8x. What happened to the fast burning speed I had before? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Mr Walker
2005-03-10, 11:45 AM
Check this out bro...
I noticed a similar problem a few days ago and did a google search and was comforted to see I wasn't alone... not only were my burning speeds more than doubled (audio discs that would burn in 4 minutes at 16x were taking 8-9 minutes and videos that would burn in 15 minutes at 4x were taking over half an hour) but my computer was also running very very sluggish whenever I would engage a burn... a problem I never had before.

I came across this suggestion and I am back to burning as good as new.

Go to CONTROL PANEL -> SYSTEM -> HARDWARE -> click on DEVICE MANAGER...
Find the IDE ATA/ATAPI CONTROLLERS section and expand the list (it should now show 3 items) double click on the PRIMARY IDE CHANNEL -> click on the ADVANCED SETTING tab... if it says PIO in the CURRENT TRANSFER MODE you found your problem! Now check the same with your SECONDARY IDE CHANNEL.

Now to fix it...
Back at the DEVICE MANAGER -> IDE ATA/ATAPI CONTROLLERS section... right click on PRIMARY IDE CHANNEL and select UNINSTALL. Confirm to continue, but DO NOT RESTART THE CPU AT THIS TIME.
Repeat the same uninstall process for the SECONDARY IDE CHANNEL... this time restart the computer.
This will force Windows to automatically reinstall the IDE drivers.
Then restart the computer again and you should be good to go.
Like I said, I had a similar 'slow burning' problem to the one you described and this worked like a charm.
Hope it helps!

(Thanks goes to posts at www.cdrinfo.com and www.gidforums.com)

jingobah
2005-03-10, 03:49 PM
I wanna give this a try but when I go to settings-> control panel, there's nothing in the control panel folder. Same thing with Local Disc C...now that's strange....

feralicious
2005-03-10, 04:02 PM
jingo... right click on "My Computer" > Properties > Hardware tab > Device Manager (middle of window)

anything there?

feralicious
2005-03-10, 04:15 PM
pawal -

good luck with the TDK DVDs lasting. well, nix that. good luck to everyone, with every brand of DVD, lasting... since it's still somewhat relatively new technology (less than 20 years old), it will be interesting to see how long the data lasts...I've always heard that Ritek were second class quality. And TDK were pretty darn good. Can you point me to any documentation you know of that I can look at?

My archives are on Verbatim, Fuji, TDK and TY. I figured that was pretty safe...

jingobah
2005-03-10, 04:29 PM
Yep, there it is..thanks. I'll let ya know if it works.

jingobah
2005-03-10, 05:03 PM
There's no ADVANCED SETTING tab when I go "My Computer" > Properties > Hardware tab > Device Manager so I can't check to see if it says PIO in the CURRENT TRANSFER MODE. Since my "Control Panel" isn't working at the moment I guess I'm stuck with slow burning speeds.

feralicious
2005-03-10, 05:06 PM
There's no ADVANCED SETTING tab when I go "My Computer" > Properties > Hardware tab > Device Manager so I can't check to see if it says PIO in the CURRENT TRANSFER MODE. Since my "Control Panel" isn't working at the moment I guess I'm stuck with slow burning speeds.Do this...

right click on "My Computer" > Properties > Hardware tab > Device Manager (middle of window) > Right click on Primary IDE > Properties > Advanced Settings tab > then you can see if it says PIO and do whatever you're supposed to do. I see that my laptop says PIO only. :hmm:

jingobah
2005-03-10, 05:14 PM
There's no advance settings tab, just General, Driver & resources tabs.

feralicious
2005-03-10, 05:21 PM
Hm... well you can still delete the drivers and reboot and have Windows reinstall them.

OUt of curiosity, what OS are you on? Maybe you don't get that option with your OS? I see it on WinXP Pro. But I"m pretty sure I've always had advanced settings in there even on 98.

jingobah
2005-03-10, 08:18 PM
I have Windows ME. It's alright to remove the drivers? Windows will reinstall them?

feralicious
2005-03-10, 08:42 PM
I'm not positive... my sexiness ends here. Anyone?

jingobah
2005-03-10, 08:49 PM
OK, I removed the drivers & restarted the computer. Windows reinstalled them. I tried burning some DVD files & it was just as slow as it was before I did this. Thank you Mr Walker & feralicious for trying to help me. I guess my problem has to do with something else.

feralicious
2005-03-10, 09:19 PM
Check the drive manufacturer's site to see if you may need to update the firmware. That might be it.

Also, were you using the same brand of media, from the same batch? Some drives don't like certain types of media for some reason. Check this link and see if anyone has reported problems with the media brand you have with the drive you have.
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia

h_vargas
2005-03-10, 11:06 PM
this sounds very much like DMA is not enabled (which is what everyone else is trying to point out, methinks). try this...

[directions taken from http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=258757]

Method 2
You can install any version of Windows 98 or Windows Me to obtain support for DMA.

How to Enable DMA for a CD-ROM

To enable DMA for a CD-ROM:

1. If you are using Windows 98, Windows Me or a version of Windows 95 that includes DMA support, by default, DMA is available but is not enabled for your CD-ROM, and you should skip to step 2. If your version of Windows 95 does not include DMA support, use either of the following methods:

• You can install any version of Windows 98 or Windows Me to obtain support for DMA.
2. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.
3. On the Device Manager tab, double-click the CDROM branch to expand it, and then double-click your CD-ROM.
4. On the Settings tab, click to select the DMA check box, and then click OK.
5. Restart your computer, and then test to determine if your CD-ROM is working properly by using the CD-ROM drive. If you determine that your CD-ROM does not work properly with DMA enabled, disable DMA. To do so, repeat steps 2-4, but click to clear the DMA check box.

jingobah
2005-03-11, 05:46 AM
The drive is brand new. I am also using the same media I was when it burning fast. I'll try that DMA thang you're talking about. Stay tuned.

wazoo2u
2005-03-11, 06:40 AM
It's VERY possible that your specific (NEW) drive doesn't like the media you're using. Try another media manufacturer, and see www.cdfreaks.com (http://www.cdfreaks.com/) for discussions on drive manufacturers and media types.

jingobah
2005-03-11, 07:05 AM
I'm using the same media as I was before the slow burning problem started. The drive supports all types of DVD's.

jingobah
2005-03-11, 09:38 AM
Enabling DMA seemed to speed it up a little bit, thanks. What is DMA anyway?

tannis
2005-03-11, 10:09 AM
fingers crossed all is well since i upgraded the firmware for the drive , now when ripping a dvd instead of stopping and getting an error message , the drive does still slow right down at the same point but the read rate recovers and continues to the end and the md5's match the original files.

thanks again to everyone who posted a suggestion on this thread.

:)

pawel
2005-03-11, 06:15 PM
drive does still slow right down at the same point but the read rate recovers and continues to the end and the md5's match the original files.

Hmm, I would check such disc for PI errors, even md5 is OK (now). Maybe you have a hardware problem as well. Also, if it's PC, please check if your burner has UDMA enabled - see ref.: http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/modesUDMA-c.html

BiggieC
2005-03-12, 11:17 AM
ok sorry if this is somewhere but I have looked all over. I've had this powerbook for a while now and I hardly ever use the dvd burner. I would like to change that. I don't have toast or anything, is there a way I can burn dvds without toast or some other program?

I'd really like to use this burner, thanks.

U2Lynne
2005-03-12, 11:34 AM
You can make a Disk Image of your show and then use Disc Utility to burn the DVD. I've got instructions on how to do that here (http://u2lynne.sandsmuseum.com/burning.html#anchor11).

BiggieC
2005-03-12, 01:19 PM
thanks lynee. looks like I have a new hobby. :D

bigwilly
2005-03-16, 10:58 AM
I am using nero dvd program to burn with. i am new to this however. Two questions. 1) When i have tried to burn file to dvd movie the picture looks pixalated and jumpy, sound skips and stalls also. i know my source file is good because it plays flawlessly on computer. Does anyone know what settings i should use in nero? I tried burning at 2x and it still did this. 2) The files i downloaded are complete meaning menues ect. How do i get them to burn as a movie without nero making menues for me? If anyone is familiar with nero please help.

AAR.oner
2005-03-16, 11:44 AM
i'm assuming yer using Nero 6...

1. open the regular Nero Burning Rom from yer program menu.

2. When the window pops up for a new project, select DVD as yer format, and then DVD-Video from the list below it.

3. This should begin you a new DVD project that has a Video_TS folder and a Audio_TS folder

4. Drag all yer .bup/.ifo/.vob files for the DVD to the Video_TS folder. the Audio_TS folder should be ledt empty, but do not delete from project

5. Click burn. You should have a DVD ina few minutes.

Part of the problem might have been that when you were trying to "build" a already "built" DVD, it was re-encoding something that was already encoded...this can cause issues. Also, sometimes (even with high-end video editing) if you have video preview enabled while yer capturing/encoding/etc it can cause both video and audio "glitches"...hope that helps, and i hope i told you right above [i rarely use my PC anymore, and i'm not near it right now to double-check]...good luck

titleist017
2005-03-17, 11:08 PM
Hey everyone,

I am having a problem too trying to copy a dvd that I made a while back. It's the 7-03-03 show and it is on a Sony DVD+R disk. When it is at 80% analyzing (on nero or dvd decrypter) it says that there is a read error. I thought I remember a while back there was a program that would fix the vob files or just to make sure everything was o.k. on it. What can I do? Thanks everyone!!!!

Ryan

h_vargas
2005-03-18, 04:03 AM
I've always heard that Ritek were second class quality. And TDK were pretty darn good. Can you point me to any documentation you know of that I can look at?

My archives are on Verbatim, Fuji, TDK and TY. I figured that was pretty safe...

actually, there's documentation on TDK CDR media ranging from good quality to poor quality, depending on the manufacturer. as i recall, the TDK "Certified Plus" CDRs were supposed to be good. and, for the most part, the majority of the ones i've had for 4+ years are okay. (a few have bitten the dust, with random visible dark spots, and the data at those places is unreadable. and yes, they have been stored properly.) here's a link for your perusal:

http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_tdk_iq.shtml

as far as Verbatim CDRs, i've had mixed results with those, too. the "DataLife Plus" Verbatims i have are still excellent, even after 5+ years. the non-branded Verbatim discs i have are almost all unreadable within that same timespan.

now, i know DVDs and CDRs are different beasts, but if a manufacturer generally made so-so (or poor) quality CDRs, then i don't even bother with their DVDRs... even if they're supposedly "good quality." hence, i don't ever buy Ritek brand DVDRs, even though a lot of people swear by them. of course, a lot of the comments i've read praising the Ritek DVDRs are basically, "burned 200 of them without a single coaster!" even though the following quote was written about CDR media, i think it applies to DVDR media as well:

"Most people think that when they have burned up a spindle and did not get any coaster that the quality of these CD-R's was very good. In fact this is NOT true as this only tells you that the used CD-R's are compatible with your CD-Writer.

Over the years most CD-Writer manufacturers have learned how to make their hardware compatibility with all kinds of CD-R's (even the low budget media!) so it is not strange that less coasters occure [sic]."

[From http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_quality.shtml]

also...

"Also don't confuse CD-R Compatibility for CD-R Quality as they are two totally different things!"

[From http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_quality.shtml#Conclusion]

diggrd
2005-03-18, 04:06 AM
Hey everyone,

I am having a problem too trying to copy a dvd that I made a while back. It's the 7-03-03 show and it is on a Sony DVD+R disk. When it is at 80% analyzing (on nero or dvd decrypter) it says that there is a read error. I thought I remember a while back there was a program that would fix the vob files or just to make sure everything was o.k. on it. What can I do? Thanks everyone!!!!

Ryan

could be ifoedit it is a very good DVD tool to have as is isobuster

http://www.ifoedit.com/

http://www.smart-projects.net/isobuster/

titleist017
2005-03-18, 10:28 AM
Thanks a lot, I am trying it now. Don't really know what I am doing but It looks like I did the vob extra icon and it is resaving the files to a new folder. We will see if it works.

titleist017
2005-03-18, 03:11 PM
Nope, it freezes at the vob4 file. It can't read it, and it freezes up. Looks like I am out of luck huh?

h_vargas
2005-03-18, 07:35 PM
Nope, it freezes at the vob4 file. It can't read it, and it freezes up. Looks like I am out of luck huh?

not necessarily... have you tried the drag & drop (or copy & paste) method to copy the files from the DVD to your hard drive?

also, have you just tried copying in one particular DVD drive? i ask this because sometimes if my DVDROM drive (read, will not burn DVDs) will not read a DVD, or if my DVD burner will not read a DVD, it will almost always be readable in the other drive. in fact, i cannot think of one instance when this wasn't the case - the other drive, in my experience, has always pulled through in the clutch.

of course, this will not be a 100% success rate, but you're trying to salvage data here. if you have another drive capable of reading a DVD, by all means, try copying the DVD to your hard drive with this other reader.

if you don't have another drive, perhaps you have a friend with one that can copy the DVD. it's worth a shot if the DVD isn't easy to come by.

good luck.

pawel
2005-03-19, 06:12 AM
Follow up: disc quality :wtf:

I have always used TDK but recently I had bad luck to buy discs manufactured in India. Never buy this crap! Code: Moser Baer India Limited, MBIPG101R04 (see attached scan for errors). When burned at 6x disc was unreadable :mad:

oobler
2005-03-19, 01:26 PM
When I play my DVD in my home DVD player it has a lot of lock ups. The picture will stay still for a long time and the start playing again. Im using IMG burning tool to burn them. Should I try to turn down the buring speed? Im new to this so any suggestions is appreciated.

U2Lynne
2005-03-19, 01:30 PM
I believe most PC users like to use Nero to burn DVDs (do a search in Technobabble on it). Could it also be that your DVD player only likes NTSC DVDs and the one you are trying to play is PAL (or vice versa)?

oobler
2005-03-19, 01:34 PM
Sorry, like i said Im pretty new to this. How would I know if my dvd player prefers NTSC DVDs or PAL? Would it say in the owners manual? What is the difference between the two?

U2Lynne
2005-03-19, 01:43 PM
Yes, your owners manual should say. You may also want to go to videohelp.com and take a look at their list of DVD players there. They list many, many models and then list what they are capable of playing (and other comments also).

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

NewestFan
2005-03-19, 10:42 PM
Hi, I burned some of the DVDs here onto Memorx DVD+R and they ran great on the comptuer. However, none of them worked in my old PS2. Does anyone know of the PS2 compatability with burned DVDs? Thanks.

h_vargas
2005-03-19, 11:33 PM
according to videohelp.com, under the DVD Players section, the PS2 *should* play -R and +R discs fine.

what burning software did you use to burn the DVD?

did you include both an AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folder on the disc? (i know for some players, they 'need' to see an AUDIO_TS folder in order to play the discs without problems.)

have you tried using a different brand of DVDs?

do you know what version your PS2 is? apparently there are something like 6 or 7 versions of the PS2, so this might come into play in this situation.

titleist017
2005-03-20, 12:44 AM
Thanks man,

Yah, I tried, but no luck. Thanks for the info!!! I really appreciate it. It's the 7-03-03 DMB show disk one. Do you have it? J/W? Take care

Ryan
[email protected]

TheMamba
2005-03-20, 08:31 AM
I got my PS2 right after they came out. I haven't had a problem with it reading +R at all.

NewestFan
2005-03-20, 11:46 AM
Found out that I have an older generation PS2 so that's the problem. Thanks guys!

willndmb
2005-03-22, 08:45 PM
the ps2 uses 3 different drives
some will only work with some discs and or formats

h_vargas
2005-03-23, 03:53 AM
time for a mod chip perhaps? :D

AAR.oner
2005-03-23, 09:12 AM
if you want, you can contact PS2 and have them update yer chips for free [you'll pay to ship it]...

mine quit playin certin games/all dvds--kept giving me disc read errors...so i checked online for a firmware update-nope-and then called em...they'll ask you a million questions, just tell em it quit playin certain games/discs--thats all [don't fall for the "have you dropped the console, etc..." shit] that way they have to fix it for free

all you have ta say is it quit playin certain games/disc and you get DRE's [most of the early consoles had a defect, but sony wanted to get em out on shelves, despite the defect--capitalist bastards!] they'll give ya a # and address, you send it in [got mine back about 3 weeks later]...that should do the trick re: burnt DVDs, as well as leaving you with an updated PS2 [still can't figure out why the assholes at sony won't release firmware updates...it'd be alot easier]

goodluck
aar.onerrrrrrrrrrrrrr

h_vargas
2005-03-23, 07:34 PM
that is an excellent piece of advice, AAR.oner. cheers to you.

willndmb
2005-03-24, 12:01 PM
if you want, you can contact PS2 and have them update yer chips for free [you'll pay to ship it]...

mine quit playin certin games/all dvds--kept giving me disc read errors...so i checked online for a firmware update-nope-and then called em...they'll ask you a million questions, just tell em it quit playin certain games/discs--thats all [don't fall for the "have you dropped the console, etc..." shit] that way they have to fix it for free

all you have ta say is it quit playin certain games/disc and you get DRE's [most of the early consoles had a defect, but sony wanted to get em out on shelves, despite the defect--capitalist bastards!] they'll give ya a # and address, you send it in [got mine back about 3 weeks later]...that should do the trick re: burnt DVDs, as well as leaving you with an updated PS2 [still can't figure out why the assholes at sony won't release firmware updates...it'd be alot easier]

goodluck
aar.onerrrrrrrrrrrrrr
for the coast to ship a ps2 insured you could go buy the $34 dvd player at walmart that plays everything and not have to wait

here are some self fix tips
http://www.ultimateconsoleguides.com/playstation_2.htm

BiggieC
2005-03-25, 02:59 PM
ok, I finaly downloaded a dvd I want and it's an .iso file. can I just burn this straight to dvd? the above faq didn't say how I could with just the included software on my mac.

lucasweb
2005-03-25, 04:40 PM
i found this info on the page that lynne linked to right above your post:

If you have an .iso file that you wish to burn to DVD-R using Toast 5*

1. Open Toast
2. Go to the Other tab and select Disc Image
3. Drag the .iso file into the window
4. Put a blank CD-R in your drive
5. Then hit record

BiggieC
2005-03-25, 06:58 PM
the above faq didn't say how I could with just the included software on my mac.

I don't have toast.

2005-03-25, 08:09 PM
Use disk utility. It is in applications/utilities.

Make sure the image is not mounted.

U2Lynne
2005-03-25, 08:23 PM
Clint, my page does say how to do it, but it includes the step to make the iso file. As stated right above me, just use Disk Utility.

NewestFan
2005-03-27, 09:43 PM
for the coast to ship a ps2 insured you could go buy the $34 dvd player at walmart that plays everything and not have to wait

here are some self fix tips
http://www.ultimateconsoleguides.com/playstation_2.htm

Gave up on ever getting my ps2 updated and followed your advice.

my new cyberhome dvd player is sweeeeeeeeeet (until a week from now when it breaks down)

jiimay
2005-04-02, 01:29 PM
Are there safer speeds to burn dvd's like there are for audio cd's?? For Audio discs I have been told to never burn over 16X to preserve quality, life of disc, etc. Does anyone know if anything along these lines pertains to dvds as well?

Thanks!

h_vargas
2005-04-02, 05:52 PM
i generally burn my archive DVDs or DVDs for a trade at 1x. for a DVD i'm burning just to watch, i burn at 4x (as fast as my burner will go). obviously for a DVD-video disc i'm burning to watch, i'm not too worried about any errors since i have an archive disc.

jiimay
2005-04-02, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the info. Anyone know if there are noted problems (errors, life, etc?) with burning dvd's at faster speeds? I've been burning at 8X. Am I comprimising anything?

h_vargas
2005-04-03, 12:49 AM
i'm not positive on this, but i'd imagine it's closely related to CDRs at higher speeds... all sorts of techie info on pits, valleys, yada yada. there are plenty of articles on that topic. (google time)

jonathan_x5
2005-04-04, 06:09 PM
In need of another DVD burning utility or a way to re-demo Nero. Thanks-

ColinM
2005-04-04, 06:32 PM
I like to reformat my hard drive when demo software expires. :clap:

You could always pay for it and get the full license. A demo is just that; a demo to see if you like the app and then you pay for it if you do like it.

AAR.oner
2005-04-04, 09:08 PM
try dvdrhelp.com

wazoo2u
2005-04-04, 09:53 PM
or CDFREAKS.COM

jcrab66
2005-04-05, 03:01 PM
try buying it, doesnt cost that much or you could go onto the one of those swedish warez hubs and take your chances there....

starman714
2005-04-05, 04:08 PM
Use DVDCrypter and DVD Shrink for your DVD's and use Burn At Once for CD's
and BAO recognizes DVD drives , too , for data burns , at least , all of which does not do some of the stuff Nero can do , but they're free and they've never burned a coaster on me yet in 3-5 months....

And nobody will imply you're cheap , they'll know you are ..... :)

but they can't truly call you a thief...... :nono:

p.s. didn't your burner come with software ?

h_vargas
2005-04-05, 04:44 PM
it would probably work to just uninstall Nero, clean out the registry entries with something like RegCleaner, then reinstall another demo of Nero.

but it's a solid application, worth the price, i think.

dorrcoq
2005-04-05, 05:11 PM
Pay the money, you pirate :D

bolamix
2005-04-09, 04:19 AM
Not sure about DVD's but you can try www.deepburner.com They have a free version

nodin
2005-04-16, 10:55 AM
Ok, this is my first post after finding this wonderful site. I just downloaded my first DVD BT. I'm all excited to watch it on my standalone (in comfort).

Her's my story I can watch it perfectly fine on my computer by>"powerdvd". Well now I need to get it on to a DVD disc so after two days of reading everything I could find on the subject and trying a few differnt software aps. (including Nero)(maybe I'm just a retard and couldn't figure it out) I was able to burn a disc but it would not play on my standalone (Mitsubishi dd4030). I believe it was burning as a Data and that was the problem.
Anyway I found a program called "Imageburn" Thanks to the Tchnobable section on this site http://www.coujo.de/ib2/index.php?act=module&module=include&incl_name=download#burn
(by the way I believe you need the Nero software to run this.)
Problem solved I can now burn a DVD that is playable on my DVD standalone.

So to sum up...
1. get Image burn
2. Open Imageburn
3. find your directory where your "Video-ts" folder is
4. Make this your DVD "root"(The whole Video-ts folder)
5. Click the burn button
whala you now have a DVD that is able to play on your home DVD player.

I'm posting this in hopes it'll help out others with the same problem and save them the headache and time.

Thanks for sharing everyone :)

wazoo2u
2005-04-16, 11:43 AM
Nero burns DVD directly. From the file menu choose "new", and then select DVD from the listbox of the "New Compilation Window" You will then see a choice for "DVD-Video".

Nero provides a VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folder by default, simply drag your .IFO and .VOB files into the Video directory. If you have MD5, graphics or text files, it's a good idea to create an EXTRAS_TS folder too, and leave those elements there. Many standalone DVD players (especially Sony) get cranky if they see anything but *._TS folders in the root.

I suggest also that you reference www.videohelp.com (http://www.videohelp.com/) . Lots of great info there.

nodin
2005-04-16, 01:38 PM
Nero burns DVD directly. From the file menu choose "new", and then select DVD from the listbox of the "New Compilation Window" You will then see a choice for "DVD-Video".

Nero provides a VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folder by default, simply drag your .IFO and .VOB files into the Video directory. If you have MD5, graphics or text files, it's a good idea to create an EXTRAS_TS folder too, and leave those elements there. Many standalone DVD players (especially Sony) get cranky if they see anything but *._TS folders in the root.

I suggest also that you reference www.videohelp.com (http://www.videohelp.com/) . Lots of great info there.

Thanks for the info, I'll give that a try. I think that my problem with Nero was that I added too many files (the .BU ?? or whatever it's called). Should I only be adding the IFO and VOB files? Because what I did was selected the DVD video option, then I dragged the whole Video-ts folder over and began burning. But like I said it would not play in my standalone.

By the way Imageburn (for me at least) burned the disc in about half the time it took Nero.

wazoo2u
2005-04-16, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the info, I'll give that a try. I think that my problem with Nero was that I added too many files (the .BU ?? or whatever it's called). Should I only be adding the IFO and VOB files? Because what I did was selected the DVD video option, then I dragged the whole Video-ts folder over and began burning. But like I said it would not play in my standalone.

By the way Imageburn (for me at least) burned the disc in about half the time it took Nero.

It sounds like you burned a DATA disk. What I do is manually select everything in the VIDEO_TS directory, and drag it into Nero's VIDEO_TS directory. If memory serves me, when you're in DVD-Video mode, Nero will give you a popup when you try to add another VIDEO_TS directory.

You need to include everything in the VIDEO_TS subdirectory, including .BUP files. Sorry, I was being general and didn't mention all filetypes. The DVD specification doesn't allow for files other than DVD compliant files to be burned in the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS subdirectories, but ignores anything in the EXTRAS_TS.

Nero is probably set up to do a "verify after write", and that might be why it took twice as long. I prefer to manually verify the disk using MD5, because I've had data disks with bad reads, even after the Nero verify said it was OK.

If you generate an MD5 hash for the VIDEO_TS subdirectory, and place it in the EXTRAS_TS subdirectory, you'll always be able to check the validity of your files. Just make sure that you edit the MD5 so it reflects the proper path, "VIDEO_TS\" so it will know where to look for the files. If the path isn't set properly, you'll be forced to extract the files and the MD5 in order to test them on your hard disk.

Alpine97
2005-04-17, 09:23 PM
I go to Copy and Back up, Click Burn Image to disc, Click on DVD Video Files, Drag the VIDEO_TS folder to the box, click next, and when I get to the page to burn it the burn button with the match on the disc is black and white not colored. So basically its not highligted so I can't even click on it to burn.. That is the problem and I have no clue to fix it. Someone please help

Led-Zep
2005-04-17, 09:44 PM
Have you got a DVD burner and not just a cd burner?

iamhydrogen
2005-04-17, 09:49 PM
burn image to disk means burn an .iso or .nrg file. you need to go to photo and video and click the little arrow at the bottom and then choose burn dvd video files. and just drag the contents of the folder over (minus the .md5 or any artwork), not the entire folder. :)

Alpine97
2005-04-17, 09:53 PM
"photo and video" Where would that be located

Cruzweb
2005-04-17, 09:54 PM
yeah, if you want to burn a dvd select DVD from the pulldown menu at the loading prompt and click video. then drag your files over

Cruzweb
2005-04-17, 09:55 PM
"photo and video" Where would that be located
are you using nero express?

iamhydrogen
2005-04-17, 09:55 PM
what version of nero do you have?

Alpine97
2005-04-17, 09:57 PM
I am using Nero Express. I have the newest version 6.8 or whatever

Cruzweb
2005-04-17, 09:59 PM
Nero Express sucks :disbelief

Anybody else here use it that can help? I use the regular version

iamhydrogen
2005-04-17, 09:59 PM
you should just see the option "burn dvd video files" then. that's the one you want.

Alpine97
2005-04-17, 10:02 PM
After I click DVD Video file...I drag my files VIDEO_TS file to the box...video ts file only had vob ifo ect.. Once the files are in and ready to burn i hit next, that is when the screen comes up where I should be able to click burn and it should start... but it the "burn" button is not highlighted so I can't even click it to try and burn it ahhhhhhhhh

iamhydrogen
2005-04-17, 10:02 PM
if you go to start > all programs > nero do you see an option for nero startsmart?

iamhydrogen
2005-04-17, 10:03 PM
is there a disc in the drive?

Alpine97
2005-04-17, 10:03 PM
I have burned with this program many times so I know what should be happening so I'm not in the wrong place or anything but for some reason it won't even give me the chance to burn after I have it all set up and ready to go

iamhydrogen
2005-04-17, 10:05 PM
i'm sorry man, i have no idea :(

Alpine97
2005-04-17, 10:05 PM
Yes Nero startsmart brings up the program.

Alpine97
2005-04-17, 10:07 PM
Then I go to copy and backup and click on the burn immage to disc (the disc with a match), from there I click on DVD-Video Files. From there I drag the files to the box, hit next, should be ready to burn but the button is not highlighted so I can't even hit the button to start the disc a burnin'

iamhydrogen
2005-04-17, 10:08 PM
did you put the files in the video_ts folder? the only way i can see where it doesn't give me the option to burn is when the files are placed in with the audio_ts folder and the video_ts folder and not actually inside of the video_ts folder itself.