PDA

View Full Version : What's with Hungercity again?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

tgunn2760
2011-07-01, 06:52 AM
For those of you who are back up at Hunger City, what happened with your ratios? In other words, was your previous activity restored or does it show you as having an upload of one gig with nothing shared as if you're a newbie? I PM'd Shariff on Friday about it but haven't received a response yet. I donated to the site a couple of months or so before it went down so it'd be a real drag not to at least get a response. It also makes me a little nervous when the only PM I've received is that their June bills are due and they'd like a donation. That ain't happening with me any time soon.

Mine is fine, karma points are intact also.

:eek2::eek2::eek2:

vladsmythe
2011-07-07, 07:09 AM
It seems to me that Hunger City needs a transfusion. Certain staffers have not returned to active duty. The logged in members role call has dwindled, and there appears to be a shortage of new content.

vladsmythe
2011-07-11, 10:54 PM
Up and running. Seems like the Dylan/Stones influence has been replaced with McCartney, Classic Rock, and assorted menu items. As much as I get bored with too much of the same thing, I miss that beach head.
Stop by and check it out if you get a chance.

vladsmythe
2011-07-27, 11:18 PM
Seems like there's a groundswell going on 'bout now.

vladsmythe
2011-07-31, 03:45 PM
It seems to me that Hunger City needs a transfusion. Certain staffers have not returned to active duty. The logged in members role call has dwindled, and there appears to be a shortage of new content.

UPDATE: Certain staffers have gone AWOL, and have been replaced with new people. The site has quickly become mostly a Bob Dylan tracker.

In the words of one of the "founders" at HungerCity, "Dylan influences come as much from Duke Ellington as from Frank Sinatra... and of course all the pop music in this world is now related to Bob...isn't it?"

If you are looking for the wide variety of exceptional music HC once offered, you will be disappointed. If you are content to listen to, and collect only Bob Dylan. Hunger City is the place for you. :thumbsup

Progfan2112
2011-08-02, 04:18 AM
According to the PM I received-and probably the same one that everyone else received-only 20% of the funds needed for running costs of the month of July have been met. I'd be surprised if HC is around much longer...

vladsmythe
2011-12-21, 12:37 PM
Something is not right....90% of all torrents are recycled, one of the finest seeders at the site just deleted close to 100 torrents from the tracker http://www.hungercity.org/log.php
and even one of the Hunger City "founders" is coming here to bitch about our member's bad ratios (while HC sells ratio for donations). Members also received news that January bills must be payed before Christmas - or the place will shut it's doors. What about Johnny's red wagon, and Cindy's doll house?

Is this tied into the ABC News story "2012 End-of-the-World Countdown Based on Mayan Calendar Starts Today" ?

Merry Christmas?

daddyray
2011-12-21, 01:00 PM
they were bought out by planetrock :D

trackers come and go...happy to have this place rolling along

direwolf-pgh
2011-12-21, 01:00 PM
the 'karma points' for $$$ always cracked me up

daddyray
2011-12-21, 01:03 PM
vlad you need to start an all Arlo tracker.:wave:

....and then help me find that Arlo Philly folk fest video off of PBS (Philly one would think).

vladsmythe
2011-12-21, 01:04 PM
the 'karma points' for $$$ always cracked me up :lol4:
Can't they pass the "Temporary Karma Point extension bill" before the winter recess? I mean, seriously...Christmas puts a pinch on most people's wallets. :rolleyes:

direwolf-pgh
2011-12-21, 01:24 PM
people vote with their dollar :popcorn: some get it and some dont

TheBlueLady
2011-12-21, 02:42 PM
Can't they pass the "Temporary Karma Point extension bill" before the winter recess? I mean, seriously...Christmas puts a pinch on most people's wallets. :rolleyes:

Nah, they'll let it ride, then start up the Blame Game.

tgunn2760
2011-12-21, 11:55 PM
the 'karma points' for $$$ always cracked me up

Karma points are not for $$$$$ but for seeding.

You get upload credits for $$$$$$$$$$

vladsmythe
2011-12-22, 07:31 AM

You get upload credits for $$$$$$$$$$That's not completely true. It's an added incentive for this pledge drive:

** EXTRA KARMA POINTS ADDED SEE BELOW FOR DETAILS **
$10.00 Donated = 15.0GB + (400 Points) ---|--- $15.00 Donated = 25.0GB + (800 Points) ---|--- $20.00 Donated = 40.0GB + (1500 Points)
$30.00 Donated = 70.0GB + (2400 Points) ---|--- $40.00 Donated = 100.0GB + (3500 Points) ---|--- $50.00 Donated = 150.0GB + (5200 Points)
$80.00 Donated =300.0GB + (7000 Points) ---|--- $100.00 Donated = 400.0GB + (12000 Points)

tgunn2760
2011-12-22, 08:03 AM

You get upload credits for $$$$$$$$$$That's not completely true. It's an added incentive for this pledge drive:

** EXTRA KARMA POINTS ADDED SEE BELOW FOR DETAILS **
$10.00 Donated = 15.0GB + (400 Points) ---|--- $15.00 Donated = 25.0GB + (800 Points) ---|--- $20.00 Donated = 40.0GB + (1500 Points)
$30.00 Donated = 70.0GB + (2400 Points) ---|--- $40.00 Donated = 100.0GB + (3500 Points) ---|--- $50.00 Donated = 150.0GB + (5200 Points)
$80.00 Donated =300.0GB + (7000 Points) ---|--- $100.00 Donated = 400.0GB + (12000 Points)

Yeah, I saw it after posting. I don't go by there much anymore.

tiglath
2012-01-11, 08:43 AM
Oh dear, HC seems to have gone on vacation again

tgunn2760
2012-01-11, 11:50 AM
Oh dear, HC seems to have gone on vacation again

Works for me.

asdf29
2012-02-08, 12:47 PM
is it down for others?

just wondering if the site has problems...or maybe i am banned?

bingomusic
2012-02-08, 12:51 PM
Working fine here for me....... Regards to all.... bingomusic.

asdf29
2012-02-08, 01:38 PM
Working fine here for me....... Regards to all.... bingomusic.

hmmm. thanks. will not open for me.

won't work from my bookmark, nor from googling the site and clicking the link.

my ratio was low, maybe i am banned...?

MalFrie
2012-02-08, 02:12 PM
I think that might be a possibility
works fine for me in the uk.

tiglath
2012-10-24, 05:46 AM
A friend tells me that all of the torrents he is downloading through HC come up as "Banned by the HC Management"!

jabulon
2012-10-24, 11:36 AM
A friend tells me that all of the torrents he is downloading through HC come up as "Banned by the HC Management"!

Could it be he's banned and not the torrents he's trying to download?

tiglath
2012-10-24, 04:18 PM
I asked and the following is the full text on each torrent " This BT client is banned by HC Management". His ratio is about .6

jabulon
2012-10-24, 04:41 PM
I asked and the following is the full text on each torrent " This BT client is banned by HC Management". His ratio is about .6

There is your answer. Just tell him to use another bittorrent program, preferrably uTorrent, and his problem will be fixed.

tiglath
2012-10-25, 06:21 AM
Guess what.He uses utorrent which I downloaded for him 6 months ago!
He did "upgrade" recently, so will revert to an older one

Audioarchivist
2013-07-23, 11:48 AM
Noticing this morning it's down. Down for the count this time or just temporary? Did they manage to get their server bills donated for this time again or ???

daddyray
2013-07-23, 12:05 PM
noticed that as well.......

maybe my karma points will fix things ;)

lintoni
2013-07-23, 01:02 PM
noticed that as well.......

maybe my karma points will fix things ;)

:disbelief

direwolf-pgh
2013-07-23, 03:16 PM
current web page..

Audioarchivist
2013-07-23, 11:27 PM
How come some torrent sites need money to live while others never even mention a need for cash? Rich benefactors that sponsor some sites privately? Someone has an "in" with someone that owns a server? Someone's got t-shirt money? What? I don't get it...

paddington
2013-07-23, 11:32 PM
I gather English is not Shareef's first language, eh?

paddington
2013-07-23, 11:36 PM
How come some torrent sites need money to live while others never even mention a need for cash? Rich benefactors that sponsor some sites privately? Someone has an "in" with someone that owns a server? Someone's got t-shirt money? What? I don't get it...

sometimes people are a bunch of broke asses, i guess.

TTD costs $150/mo to run + probably 100 or so man-hours of staff work. Of course, that can vary. We've been around nearly 9 years and usually manage to run a bit of a surplus each year which can be spent on things like oh-shit support issues, server moves, ram, etc, without having to post giant MS-Word messages in place of the homepage.

Just a guess, but I thnik Hunger City should be able to to be run a bit cheaper than TTD.

Also, some sites are just run by flaky motherfuckers. In our case, we have Lynne, who is about as solid as it gets. For the 'oh fuck' problems, we have Wolf. Also, very solid.

Audioarchivist
2013-07-24, 06:05 AM
I sure understand being broke-ass! But I ain't really a flaky motherfucker! haha

Well, I am sort of, but that's different!

Maybe they should look at moving servers to someone that *could* do it all for less money? I sort of think they're getting ripped off, too!

Here's to hoping that something good work out for them...

JackDog
2013-07-24, 07:31 AM
TTD costs $150/mo to run

Just out of curiosity, who pays that? Does Lynne pay the whole bill? Do admins/mods contribute? Do some users contribute? Hunger City is always asking for contributions but I've never seen any requests here.

Homebrew101
2013-07-24, 08:10 AM
Just out of curiosity, who pays that? Does Lynne pay the whole bill? Do admins/mods contribute? Do some users contribute? Hunger City is always asking for contributions but I've never seen any requests here.

there has always been a 'Contributions" link on TTD, look up under where it reads "Welcome, JackDog" on the upper right and click it and give a few $ if you can :wave:

paddington
2013-07-24, 10:32 AM
TTD costs $150/mo to run

The hardware / bandwidth / software license costs are user-funded.
Labor is 100% volunteer (except for the server host company, of course).
Feel free to chip in, but it is never required.

We're here to help other music fans share live music experiences.

U2Lynne
2013-07-24, 10:42 AM
Luckily, we have great users here and, other than the first couple of months, all the bills have been paid by contributions. I have always resisted posting messages about the bill, or sending PMs about it, but sometimes I have changed the color of the Contributions link in the hopes that it gets noticed more. :)

I've also talked to our host when our contributions are down and they have worked with me to either reduce the rates, or in the last case, we moved servers to a cheaper, but more powerful, one.

vladsmythe
2013-07-24, 11:45 AM
Contributions are always appreciated, and recognized by the staff here. The tracker is always appreciated, and recognized by those who are able to feed the beast, with money, fresh content, or other kind deeds.

Great job by the staff here as usual! ...always willing to help out. :)

Audioarchivist
2013-07-24, 11:48 AM
{snip}... but sometimes I have changed the color of the Contributions link in the hopes that it gets noticed more. :) {snip}

Right now, the brownish-red color I see is bleeding into the grey background to the point that I can't really read the word anymore! I would go with a slightly brighter shade of red or something - ANYTHING else (almost!) haha

BTW, thanks, folks, for doing what you do here!

Now, let's hope Shareef can get the help he needs. I don't go to HC very often, but it would kinda suck to lose another torrent site! Does he know that there *might* be cheaper alternatives for servers than what they've got? I wonder if reaching out with some money-saving info for them is something worth doing?

JackDog
2013-07-24, 05:35 PM
there has always been a 'Contributions" link on TTD

:disbelief Geez....I guess that shows how attentive I am. But now that I look at it the burnt orange on dark grey kinda screws with my eyes.

dorrcoq
2013-07-25, 02:51 PM
I wonder how much of the money they need is because of the re-connection charges? I haven't visited their site in years. With TTD, DIME, & bt.etree who really needs it?

vladsmythe
2013-07-25, 02:59 PM
I wonder how much of the money they need is because of the re-connection charges? I haven't visited their site in years. With TTD, DIME, & bt.etree who really needs it?

"I wonder how much of the money they need is because of the re-connection charges?"

I'll give you three guesses, and the first two don't count. :lol4:

BTW - HC's "private" tracker "sacredtown" for special HC VIPs is also defunct.

I'm gonna miss the Dylan videos and the nice BBC vids, but I agree - Plenty out there to fill the void. Karma points not valid at other trackers.....:rolleyes:

JackDog
2013-07-25, 05:44 PM
With TTD, DIME, & bt.etree who really needs it?

They have a lot of European stuff that the others don't have.

arfarf
2013-07-25, 05:55 PM
They have a lot of European stuff that the others don't have.

Ditto

If someones musical tastes haven't exposed the holes that HC fills in what dime, bt.etree and ttd offer, than likely HC's loss won't affect you much.

If HC doesn't return, some may find that planetrock fills some of the same holes, but has less activity.

daddyray
2013-07-25, 05:55 PM
searching planet rock is a bitch though

arfarf
2013-07-25, 06:02 PM
searching planet rock is a bitch though

off topic, but what tracker have you found that has a "good" search engine? To me, that does seem to be a common problem with the trackers I've experienced.

aikowolf
2013-07-25, 10:23 PM
off topic, but what tracker have you found that has a "good" search engine? To me, that does seem to be a common problem with the trackers I've experienced.

dime's I thin is pretty decent if you take the time to read the search tips

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-search.php

dazed64
2013-07-26, 05:17 AM
The easiest way to search dime for any artist is
%artist%
amazing how well it works....

direwolf-pgh
2013-07-26, 10:33 AM
this thread needs more music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuhXT8lYx6c

jabulon
2013-07-27, 12:47 PM
current web page..
current web page says:

HUNGERCITY UPDATE - 27TH JULY, 2013 (11:00AM EST)

AS MENTIONED MANY TIMES BEFORE, IF DONATIONS (WHICH PAYS FOR THE SERVER COSTS ETC) ARE NOT PAID IN FULL EACH MONTH, THE SERVER WILL BE TURNED OFF UNTIL PAYMENT HAS BEEN MET.

THE CHOICE IS NOW YOURS. IF YOU THINK, HUNGERCITY SHOULD NOT DIE SUCH A SAD DEATH, PLEASE DONATE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE, AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!

AS THE DONATION PAGE CANNOT BE ACCESSED, PLEASE SEND ALL DONATIONS TO : [email protected]

HUNGERCITY WILL BE UP AND RUNNING WITHIN THE NEXT FEW DAYS

PEACE & LOVE TO ALL!

- SHAREEF

aikowolf
2013-07-27, 12:53 PM
their like the Mafia - you don't REALLY need them, but you'll be sorry if you don't pay them

good riddance I say

vladsmythe
2013-07-27, 01:10 PM
"IF YOU THINK, HUNGERCITY SHOULD NOT DIE SUCH A SAD DEATH, PLEASE DONATE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE, AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!"

Uhm, excuse me. A child dying in a car crash is sad. A tracker paying too much for server costs each month, and it's members getting tired of constantly footing the bill, so it "dies", is not sad. It's inevitable. :rolleyes:

Hopefully the members who so generously share their content at HC will find another venue (without the never-ending monthly donation solicitations) to continue the good work.

direwolf-pgh
2013-07-27, 02:52 PM
agreed. things come / things go

arfarf
2013-07-27, 02:52 PM
"IF YOU THINK, HUNGERCITY SHOULD NOT DIE SUCH A SAD DEATH, PLEASE DONATE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE, AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!"

Uhm, excuse me. A child dying in a car crash is sad. A tracker paying too much for server costs each month, and it's members getting tired of constantly footing the bill, so it "dies", is not sad. It's inevitable. :rolleyes:

Hopefully the members who so generously share their content at HC will find another venue (without the never-ending monthly donation solicitations) to continue the good work.

What's sad is folks like you, that have done so much to harm Hunger City, are so quick to dance on it's grave.

You will find that your dance is premature.

direwolf-pgh
2013-07-27, 02:55 PM
I believe what vlad is saying is they were too greedy. it doesn't cost $400/month to run a tracker/dedicated server.
selling karma points is ..hmm, shall we say an interesting concept :angel: It seems many 'free trade sites' are aggressively hustling. 2’

vladsmythe
2013-07-27, 02:57 PM
I'm not dancing. I uploaded 200+ videos there, and downloaded as many, if not more. Never tried to harm the site, but, like you arfarf, I would not give money to them. I enjoy donating $$ to TTD, because they never ask me to. And the monthly cost was $600+ dollars per month (not $400).

direwolf-pgh
2013-07-27, 03:04 PM
And the monthly cost was $600+ dollars per month (not $400).

damn :lol4: $600?!! Here are GoDaddy prices (http://www.godaddy.com/hosting/dedicated-servers.aspx) and there are many cheaper alternatives

arfarf
2013-07-27, 03:09 PM
I'm not dancing. I uploaded 200+ videos there, and downloaded as many, if not more. Never tried to harm the site, but, like you arfarf, I would not give money to them. I enjoy donating $$ to TTD, because they never ask me to. And the monthly cost was $600+ dollars per month (not $400).

Just to be clear, I don't donate money to any site, because I have none to give, so lumping us together as to why we don't donate there is inaccurate.

You wouldn't give them money, I can't, two different things.

I'm surprised to see you say you "Never tried to harm the site." The mind boggles as to what harm you could have inflicted there had you really been trying.

daddyray
2013-07-27, 03:24 PM
some people do not see the forrest for the trees and there is no sense trying to alert them. just a scientific fact.

vladsmythe
2013-07-27, 05:47 PM
their like the Mafia - you don't REALLY need them, but you'll be sorry if you don't pay them

good riddance I say

They aren't dead yet aikowolf. :nono: According to the thread at Lossless Legs, HC will be back up "In a couple days". :thumbsup

paddington
2013-07-27, 06:53 PM
sounds like petulant children, to me

I'm not aware of 'reconnect' charges for a web host being incurred when down less than 30 days :lol or any days, really.

Either they are dumb and need a new host or they are crooked and lying in a pathetic attempt to extort money from the users. Fell free to post the 3rd possibility.

Generally, you need active hosting service to host that MS-Word extortion / money begging "notice" they posted. I don't know of any host who shuts you down but allows you use the server to beg for money. So, it seems they likely still have active hosting (funded by previous donations) and are using it to extort more money instead of running the site.
Had I previously donated, I'd be unhappy about that.

$600/mo? :hmm:

daddyray
2013-07-27, 07:00 PM
shit this thread is as weak as a political thread there.

show us your tits! :D

vladsmythe
2013-07-27, 07:07 PM
They have known for years that there are much more affordable hosts. The PMs asking for money, or else they will shut down the site, are usually sent out around the 20th of each month. Then they send out a "We really mean it!" notice a few days before the threatened shutdown. Somehow, it works, because they usually make up a two or three hundred dollar deficit in the final 48 hours. Either that, or Jameskg is onto something. :hmm:

U2Lynne
2013-07-27, 11:14 PM
$600 a month for server costs? Even when we had two servers and an outside backup site, we were running on less than $400 a month. When things got tough, I cut the backup (after having our host verify the status of the disks on the other server for me to do the backup on instead). We are now running on a more powerful server than before (with RAID 10 and 8 GB RAM) and paying less than for those two servers. Are they operating in the US? If so, I really think they should contact our host, QuickPacket, and ask about hosting there. We've been with QuickPacket since we started and they have always been good to us.

arfarf
2013-07-28, 12:25 AM
$600 a month for server costs? Even when we had two servers and an outside backup site, we were running on less than $400 a month. When things got tough, I cut the backup (after having our host verify the status of the disks on the other server for me to do the backup on instead). We are now running on a more powerful server than before (with RAID 10 and 8 GB RAM) and paying less than for those two servers. Are they operating in the US? If so, I really think they should contact our host, QuickPacket, and ask about hosting there. We've been with QuickPacket since we started and they have always been good to us.

How many worker-hours would be involved in changing hosts? Unlike here, HC seems to be a one man operation as far as code monkey stuff, I wonder if that isn't part of the reason they have not taken some of these cost savings step.

HC's forums seem to be hosted separately, so that's been up all week. That may explain how their "money begging notice" has been hosted.
http://thehcforum.com/

Now, who wants to see my tits?

U2Lynne
2013-07-28, 09:38 AM
How many worker-hours would be involved in changing hosts? Unlike here, HC seems to be a one man operation as far as code monkey stuff, I wonder if that isn't part of the reason they have not taken some of these cost savings step.

On our last server move, our host installed PHP, MySQL, apache for us and then moved over our files/databases all at no cost to us. I was just around to fix some server paths in the software since they had changed. Once I changed those, I verified the site worked, and then turned it back on. Not much effort on my part at all. On other server moves, I have hired a kid in England to do the move for us which includes installing PHP, MySQL, apache, and moving over all our files/databases. He usually takes two hours, so $200 dollars. I play with the coding on our site, but I don't like doing server moves so I always hire someone to make sure it gets done right.

arfarf
2013-07-28, 07:47 PM
On our last server move, our host installed PHP, MySQL, apache for us and then moved over our files/databases all at no cost to us. I was just around to fix some server paths in the software since they had changed. Once I changed those, I verified the site worked, and then turned it back on. Not much effort on my part at all. On other server moves, I have hired a kid in England to do the move for us which includes installing PHP, MySQL, apache, and moving over all our files/databases. He usually takes two hours, so $200 dollars. I play with the coding on our site, but I don't like doing server moves so I always hire someone to make sure it gets done right.

Thanks, then that would not seem to be much of an impedament for moving servers.

dasmueller
2013-07-28, 07:54 PM
The private tracker appears to be down again as well.

aikowolf
2013-07-28, 10:01 PM
They have known for years that there are much more affordable hosts. The PMs asking for money, or else they will shut down the site, are usually sent out around the 20th of each month. Then they send out a "We really mean it!" notice a few days before the threatened shutdown. Somehow, it works, because they usually make up a two or three hundred dollar deficit in the final 48 hours. Either that, or Jameskg is onto something. :hmm:

shareef's crack dealer shows up on the 19th giving him 3 days to pay - hence the urgent email/ pms on the 20th

mooncusser
2013-07-28, 10:24 PM
perhaps they could sell t-shirts

clucking
2013-08-02, 01:26 PM
Sooooooo...hungercity is done? There was a note that it would be up again by yesterday, but now ALL of the forums, etc. are offline. Anyone have any info? I know there were several people who sent them $$ in the last week to get it back up and running.

2013-08-02, 01:51 PM
Gookie spookie, guess it got spank punished for blowing thee wistle, right?

jabulon
2013-08-02, 02:00 PM
Sooooooo...hungercity is done? There was a note that it would be up again by yesterday, but now ALL of the forums, etc. are offline. Anyone have any info? I know there were several people who sent them $$ in the last week to get it back up and running.
Note is till there. May be thursday turned into friday turned into ... etc.

MalFrie
2013-08-02, 05:23 PM
Gookie spookie, guess it got spank punished for blowing thee wistle, right?

WTF! Great Ratio, By the way!!

paddington
2013-08-02, 10:41 PM
didn't make it back up...

rocketsocket
2013-08-03, 06:01 AM
First post here. Big fan of TTD but also a big fan of HC. Lots of stuff there you don't find anywhere else, including a ton of great Beatles A&V (banned elsewhere).

I have donated to HC in the past but refuse to stain myself ever again with PP so I have to do it through a third party who doesn't have any brains or self-respect and thinks PP is the salvation of all humanity. Didn't donate during this crisis yet because I can't reach Stain Man ATM but I plan to donate again ASAP. I wish BT operators could work with Google Wallet, Amazon Payments, BitCoin, etc. ... anything but PP! I'd mail cash if there was a way to get it to you.

I have had a number of dealings with ShaReeF and he has been the epitome of professionalism, courtesy, and cooperation. Rather than push for a donation in our PMs, he told me not to sweat it. Given those encounters, I find it very hard to believe that there's anything improper taking place. No argument from me that better communication from him would help the public perception, but as someone who used to be on call to put radio stations back on the air after transmitter failures (some catastrophic), I know what a PITA it is when people keep asking "are we almost there yet?". It will be done just as soon as it can be done and not a second sooner. I'm willing to cut him a lot of slack because he's done far more for the HC community than most of us have ever done for him and I am grateful to him and everyone else who runs a BT tracker (Lynne - thanks much for the great job (ZERO OUTAGES) you do with TTD!).

I have no inside info about WTF may be going on at HC but my sense is that he's doing what he can to make it work. There have been some changes in page availability over the past couple of days that lead me to belive something is afoot. If it never resurfaces for any reason we'll all be worse off, so I hope that's not the case. But I needed to put in a good word for ShaReeF as a good guy who's done good work in the past and wish him well in this bad situation.

Back to the shadows for me.

CAF
2013-08-03, 10:20 AM
First post here. Big fan of TTD but also a big fan of HC. Lots of stuff there you don't find anywhere else, including a ton of great Beatles A&V (banned elsewhere).

I have donated to HC in the past but refuse to stain myself ever again with PP so I have to do it through a third party who doesn't have any brains or self-respect and thinks PP is the salvation of all humanity. Didn't donate during this crisis yet because I can't reach Stain Man ATM but I plan to donate again ASAP. I wish BT operators could work with Google Wallet, Amazon Payments, BitCoin, etc. ... anything but PP! I'd mail cash if there was a way to get it to you.

I have had a number of dealings with ShaReeF and he has been the epitome of professionalism, courtesy, and cooperation. Rather than push for a donation in our PMs, he told me not to sweat it. Given those encounters, I find it very hard to believe that there's anything improper taking place. No argument from me that better communication from him would help the public perception, but as someone who used to be on call to put radio stations back on the air after transmitter failures (some catastrophic), I know what a PITA it is when people keep asking "are we almost there yet?". It will be done just as soon as it can be done and not a second sooner. I'm willing to cut him a lot of slack because he's done far more for the HC community than most of us have ever done for him and I am grateful to him and everyone else who runs a BT tracker (Lynne - thanks much for the great job (ZERO OUTAGES) you do with TTD!).

I have no inside info about WTF may be going on at HC but my sense is that he's doing what he can to make it work. There have been some changes in page availability over the past couple of days that lead me to belive something is afoot. If it never resurfaces for any reason we'll all be worse off, so I hope that's not the case. But I needed to put in a good word for ShaReeF as a good guy who's done good work in the past and wish him well in this bad situation.

All great points. I hope they re-surface soon.

Bugs
2013-08-03, 12:48 PM
The "changes in page availability" were due to an outage at HostGator's data center (http://mashable.com/2013/08/02/bluehost-down/) in Provo, Utah. (The outage shut down my website and email, too, which is the only reason I know or would have known this.) I ought to find a new hobby horse, but I'm compelled to mention a few things about HostGator (which hosts HungerCity). A colleague of mine, whom I shall call HD (for those are her initials), also uses HG. When the bank issued HD a new card, she forgot to update her HG account, and, when HG went to automatically withdraw funds from her account, HG could not withdraw the funds that they were owed. HG shut HD down. During this shutdown, her email did not work, and she did not have the capacity to post a message on her website explaining why it was down. HD did not have to pay a reconnection fee, and, once she corrected her billing information and pointed out the correction to HG, her site was back up all but instantly (and, as an aside that is entirely unrelated to HD (but not to HC), HG, to the best of my knowledge, does not have a plan (http://www.hostgator.com/dedicated) that costs $645 per month).

I'm no internet expert. I understand that there may be explanations that mitigate all of the observations that I have noted above. I know that this is a loaded post that is leading in its implications. I was a happy HC citizen, and I donated each month — without exception — and I didn't mind doing it. As a leech with nothing else to offer, the cost of an album or two every four weeks or so was not too big of a price to pay for access to such a great Dylan bootleg archive. I'm not upset about the money, but I don't like it when people lie to me (especially in order to get money). That said, it seems likely from his front page missives asking after donations that English is not Shareef's first language, and he very well may have misspoken without deliberate intent to deceive. But, even if that is the case, it is a bad business practice.

I know that there are a lot of passionate HC supporters here, and I'm sure that they have valid arguments as to why HC is not yet back online. More power to HC's owner and to them. These are just my two pennies, and you should only take them for what they are worth.

B.

paddington
2013-08-03, 01:43 PM
that is a good post

thank you

welcome to TTD

Bugs
2013-08-03, 06:43 PM
welcome to TTD

Thank you.

I'm happy to be here.

JackDog
2013-08-08, 09:34 PM
I just checked HC and it went to a GoDaddy page with the domain name for sale, so does that mean that it's done for good?

paddington
2013-08-09, 06:14 AM
I just checked HC and it went to a GoDaddy page with the domain name for sale, so does that mean that it's done for good?

There's probably still time to donate.

direwolf-pgh
2013-08-09, 07:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-BYzaDwNoE

direwolf-pgh
2013-08-09, 07:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PQvMtNnmWY

JackDog
2013-08-09, 07:13 AM
There's probably still time to donate.

:lol4: Sometimes the simplest jokes are the funniest.

rainydayman
2013-08-09, 07:42 AM

I totally agree with you. Any other kind of public comment putting into question Shareef's proffesionalism is simply malicious.

paddington
2013-08-09, 08:47 AM
nah, whatever the guy's past actions and rep, dangling the website, previously and currently funded by donations, over the heads of said donors and not allowing them to use it until they send more money is uncool.

Of course, he can do what he wants with the site but people don't have to continue to donate (and they obviously didn't).

Stranger09
2013-08-10, 03:05 PM
I too would like to speak up for ShaReef...as a reasonably frequent uploader to HC, albeit one where - like with any uploads I do - I hope to elicit uploads in return where possible, I contributed when I could, and he never pushed me over this.

I can't add much to the very recent positive posts apart from saying I agree with them and that I hope their positive tone proves correct.

Here's hoping.

LuvGlimmerTwins
2013-08-11, 12:00 PM
I too would like to speak up for ShaReef...as a reasonably frequent uploader to HC, albeit one where - like with any uploads I do - I hope to elicit uploads in return where possible, I contributed when I could, and he never pushed me over this.

I can't add much to the very recent positive posts apart from saying I agree with them and that I hope their positive tone proves correct.

Here's hoping.

Thank you, Stranger09 :wave:

nutzrocker
2013-08-12, 06:01 AM
Latest Update: -

http://thehcforum.com/hungercity/lastchance.html

HUNGERCITY UPDATE - 13TH AUGUST, 2013 (4:00PM EST)
AS THE DONATION PAGE CANNOT BE ACCESSED, PLEASE SEND ALL DONATIONS TO : [email protected]
HUNGERCITY WILL BE UP AND RUNNING WITHIN DAYS!!!
PEACE & LOVE TO ALL!

- SHAREEF

direwolf-pgh
2013-08-12, 06:25 AM
interesting thread..
http://thehcforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=4687

dontations were sent / no update :bad: even the mods don't know whats up.

vladsmythe
2013-08-12, 06:36 AM
I hope they find affordable hosting at least. Hopefully that would mitigate the endless monthly "Pledge drives". HC is not the only only "non-profit" organization that is suffering during these lean economic times. HC certainly filled an important niche. It would be nice to see it return.

direwolf-pgh
2013-08-12, 06:41 AM
I would imagine the site will be back this week -- New host and new software. That's my SWAG
many sites should consider Virtual Server hosting Full root access / extremely cost effective. (http://www.godaddy.com/hosting/vps-hosting.aspx).

paddington
2013-08-12, 07:12 AM
Latest Update: -

http://thehcforum.com/hungercity/lastchance.html

HUNGERCITY UPDATE - 13TH AUGUST, 2013 (4:00PM EST)
HUNGERCITY WILL BE UP AND RUNNING WITHIN DAYS!!!
PEACE & LOVE TO ALL!

- SHAREEF

note that it is the 'last chance', according to the URL.

better hurry

LuvGlimmerTwins
2013-08-12, 07:58 AM
"Well this could be the last time
This could be the last time
Maybe the last time
I don't know. oh no. oh no"

The Stones sung it, yet keep on touring.
:clap::wave:

mooncusser
2013-08-12, 07:56 PM
is this the Hungercity Games?

bubbat
2013-08-12, 11:53 PM
They're back

paddington
2013-08-13, 01:05 AM
Thank god

I was up nights

Mid month pledge drive starts when? 17th or so?

AAR.oner
2013-08-13, 06:04 AM
whew that was a scary coupla weeks...but balance and stability has been returned to the universe

JackDog
2013-08-13, 07:05 AM
All jokes aside, it IS nice to have HC back.

rick m
2013-08-13, 08:30 AM
It's back up

loulouthefox
2013-08-15, 05:16 AM
...I'm glad they're back and don't regret my emergency donation...
:clap:
All the best from a frog eater in Dead-Waters, the big walled city, bottom left corner of the French Delta (yep, we've got ours ..!).

Loulou
http://perso.orange.fr/loulouthefox
http://picasaweb.google.com/loulouthefox
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=loulouthefox
:thumbsup

LuvGlimmerTwins
2013-08-15, 10:03 AM
Great respect and thanks to all who were patient and supported HungerCity:thumbsup

dasmueller
2013-09-23, 07:44 AM
They appear to be offline this morning ?

tiglath
2013-09-23, 07:46 AM
As is planet rock!

StripeyWayne
2013-09-23, 10:23 AM
Planet Rock is back up but HungerCity has this: http://thehcforum.com/hungercity/lastchance.html

They've seemingly made no effort to reduce their running costs, so this end result is hardly a surprise.

20YearsAgo
2013-09-23, 11:09 AM
Planet Rock is back up but HungerCity has this: http://thehcforum.com/hungercity/lastchance.html

They've seemingly made no effort to reduce their running costs, so this end result is hardly a surprise.

Very fishy. The other day, one of the mods (Erik?) sent a PM to all HC users asking that they NOT make donations. I wish I had saved that PM, but the gist was that there were some kinks in the donation system platform they were trying to work out.

Bugs
2013-09-23, 11:25 AM
Very fishy. The other day, one of the mods (Erik?) sent a PM to all HC users asking that they NOT make donations. I wish I had saved that PM, but the gist was that there were some kinks in the donation system platform they were trying to work out.

Yeah. It was Erik Snow who sent the PM (I did save the PM, but, obviously, I can't retrieve it at this time). There was also a dummy torrent that had been "seeded" before (or about the time) that the PM was sent. The text on the torrent's announcement page instructed people not to donate to HC, and the front page, that is used to solicit donations, was also changed to say that we should not donate at this time.

IIRC, the PM and the two posts made at HC made no direct reference to kinks in the donation system: they said that there were issues that needed to be resolved. Mister Snow did not say what those issues were, although it seems (and has seemed) to me to be quite apparent they are.

B.

20YearsAgo
2013-09-23, 11:59 AM
IIRC, the PM and the two posts made at HC made no direct reference to kinks in the donation system: they said that there were issues that needed to be resolved. Mister Snow did not say what those issues were, although it seems (and has seemed) to me to be quite apparent they are. B.

Bugs, now that you mention it, I think you're right. It must be very frustrating to be caught in Erik's shoes. I hope he's able to work out the issue(s).

Stranger09
2013-09-23, 01:18 PM
Re the above posts...yes I hope Erik can speak up on here or even PM people to update them here? I know he uses other sites, or I'm pretty sure he does, the name is familiar enough.

I'd like to help save them but given the message and update yesterday I'd need to know more first. I hope they can sort things out somehow as it's been a damn good site over the years.

nutzrocker
2013-09-23, 02:43 PM
The forum and art gallery is still up and running.

There is nothing stopping anyone going there and asking questions: -

http://thehcforum.com/

:);):)

mooncusser
2013-09-23, 09:46 PM
IIRC, the PM and the two posts made at HC made no direct reference to kinks in the donation system: they said that there were issues that needed to be resolved. Mister Snow did not say what those issues were, although it seems (and has seemed) to me to be quite apparent they are.

B.
are you suggesting donations might not go where the donor intended?

kixdude
2013-09-23, 09:52 PM
We (The staff) aren't told anything. ALL of our PMs go ignored. I'm done over there :down:

arfarf
2013-09-23, 10:23 PM
I still think he said it best, way back n page 2 or 3 of this thread.

Bugs
2013-09-23, 10:31 PM
are you suggesting donations might not go where the donor intended?

Not necessarily.

This is the message that at least two different staff members had posted, first at HC and, now, in the forum:

PLEASE DO *NOT* DONATE ANYTHING UNTILL OUR ISSUES ARE FIXED

I merely meant to point out that the message asking us to cease our donations did not link that request that to a problem with the channelling of said funds. My assumption is that the "issues" are something else entirely. I think that this issue has been talked out somewhat in the HC forums: one person has total control and does not share information with a staff who does all the public relations work and bears the brunt of citizen complaints.

That is what I meant.

I did not mean to imply that a lot of people claim to have donated a lot of money last summer, and I did not wonder where all of it went. It would be nice if donations were handled transparently at HC and if HC's staff were allowed to audit the finances. It would keep idle speculation, character assassination, and libel to a minimum. I did not mean to do any of those things above, nor do I mean to do them here. I only mean to write what I written before, here and elsewhere: things at HC don't add up; they look suspicious; and, when no one knows what is going on with the money that we ponied up to keep HC up and running, it's tough for me to be generous with my opinion of someone else's business ethic.

Again, I want to thank HC's fabulous volunteer staff. They were not put in a good position, but, despite that, they have handled themselves with grace. They deserve our thanks, and they certainly have mine.

Peace,

Bugs

Stranger09
2013-09-23, 10:57 PM
I feel in a difficult position, and Bugs post there is very helpful - well said.

I would like to contribute to keep the site going again, but I contributed a lot at the last appeal and if the level of contributions made by other regular users is not enough to keep it going... (which is sad, there are a lot of regular users, and $2-$3 would kill no-one...if you regularly use a site that appeals for funds to keep going and can't manage that, how can you afford the electricity to do the downloads in the first place??).

But, as Bugs said, clarity is needed now after Erik's pm's.

vladsmythe
2013-09-23, 11:16 PM
I would donate, if I could be assured it would go to keeping HC alive

tonebloke
2013-09-24, 01:20 AM
As is planet rock!

Was a software problem, nothing more apparently.

nutzrocker
2013-09-24, 01:22 AM
I'm not saying too much at this stage but for one I am giving up my staff job at HungerCity. Something is very wrong there and has been for some time.

Without going into any detail I am simply going to advise anyone reading this not to donate anything to HungerCity for the time being at least.

This is a very sad day for me, I have put a lot of time into that place over the years as have other staff members but I can't sit by and watch people being ripped off like this.

Loyalty is one thing, honesty is another. You can do as you will but you have been advised :);):)

kixdude
2013-09-24, 01:31 AM
I feel the same as you nutzrocker. We all worked hard to make that place what it was. I can't sit there and watch what's going on either....

LuvGlimmerTwins
2013-09-24, 07:09 AM
I am as clueless as everyone else in this situation. Like all other HC staffers, save the owner, I have no control of servers, hosts, nor finances at HC.

The history (post on HC's front page, bogus torrent) could point to someone hacking the site. There are access abnormalities on the HC Forum, as well.

Once again, I find myself in the awkward situation of being asked questions I am unable to answer. The longer I wait for an explanation, the more I feel grief and lose enthusiasm for donating my time there.

:disbelief :hmm: :wtf:

Blindwilly
2013-09-24, 07:39 AM
As Stafmember of HC i do strongly advise everybody NOT TO DONATE at this point.

There is indeed a (small) chance that the site is hacked , but more likely seems that there is a swindle going on.

direwolf-pgh
2013-09-24, 08:27 AM
We (The staff) aren't told anything. ALL of our PMs go ignored. I'm done over there :down:

I'm not saying too much at this stage but for one I am giving up my staff job at HungerCity. Something is very wrong there and has been for some time.

Without going into any detail I am simply going to advise anyone reading this not to donate anything to HungerCity for the time being at least.

This is a very sad day for me, I have put a lot of time into that place over the years as have other staff members but I can't sit by and watch people being ripped off like this.

Loyalty is one thing, honesty is another. You can do as you will but you have been advised :);):)

As Stafmember of HC i do strongly advise everybody NOT TO DONATE at this point.

There is indeed a (small) chance that the site is hacked , but more likely seems that there is a swindle going on.the HC staff has spoken :thumbsup we all thank you for your integrity/honesty

Homebrew101
2013-09-24, 10:09 AM
Where's my T-shirt?

overhead
2013-09-24, 10:32 AM
Where's my T-shirt?

It does doesn't it?

vladsmythe
2013-09-24, 12:54 PM
sacredtown.org is down also.

daddyray
2013-09-24, 01:01 PM
planet rocks sucks to search. bad lay out

marksg
2013-09-24, 09:14 PM
We recently updated at Planet Rock, couple burps all sorted out. It's never good when a site has one owner who controls all and reveals little or nothing. It breeds speculation and it's just not right to keep your staff in the dark. They are the frontline and bear the brunt of the questions. "I don't know" is the worst possible response to a business customer, and donators have a right to know their $ goes where it's purported to.
As Nutz and LGT and Kixdude are friends and good people, when they throw up a red flag, I gotta believe somethings not kosher. It sure seems like HC's host service fees are WAY out of line. I'd like to see proof and an explanation.

And Daddyray, be more specific please. As in searching Forums? Posts? Torrents? Our layout is pretty similar to this one, same forum app [Vbulletin] just a newer version. I've never received this complaint so I'm curious to know what your issue is.

kixdude
2013-09-24, 09:20 PM
what's wrong with it? I've been going there quite a bit. Haven't had any problems searching for anything....

planet rocks sucks to search. bad lay out

blueterra
2013-09-24, 09:59 PM
... as long as it's Hot Tuna.

dasmueller
2013-09-24, 10:02 PM
:ignore:

vladsmythe
2013-09-24, 10:35 PM
what's wrong with it? I've been going there quite a bit. Haven't had any problems searching for anything....

Seems easy enough for me too. I wish the variety of content was wider, but they have always been very fair about the way they allow, and encourage input. It is also a very good, and strong community. I hope the folks from HC discover PR and continue to share there if they haven't already. A work in progress is better than no work at all.

mooncusser
2013-09-24, 10:41 PM
:popcorn:

(with all due respect, it seems like HC has been on life support for ages)
mobile PWing device

vladsmythe
2013-09-25, 01:25 AM
Life support is better than no support. Despite the obvious problems, HungerCity was as exciting and unique as it gets for traders. I will sorely miss it.

mike1061
2013-09-25, 06:10 AM
What I miss is your videos.
Seriously, that's what I liked most over there. There were a few other guys too.
Thanks
Mike

JackDog
2013-09-25, 07:15 AM
HungerCity was as exciting and unique as it gets for traders. I will sorely miss it.

I agree. There was a lot of stuff at HC that you could find here or on dime, but there was some really great stuff there that you couldn't find anywhere else. Things may have ended badly for HC but I'll always remember it fondly.

direwolf-pgh
2013-09-25, 07:36 AM
..there was some really great stuff there that you couldn't find anywhere elsewhat material was this? perhaps it can be offered here without the threat of extortion
-----------------------------------------------------------------

JackDog
2013-09-25, 08:28 AM
what material was this? perhaps it can be offered here without the threat of extortion

Off the top of my head it was Beatles audio and videos, Rolling Stones videos, and music-based tv shows recorded from the BBC and other European tv stations.

direwolf-pgh
2013-09-25, 08:39 AM
right on. here's my suggestion..

create a 'social group for whatever band' here on the site - post your List/ISOs and it will all work out from there.
if you cant torrent/find something for whatever reason - you can hookup with collectors for private trade(s)

TTD Social Groups found here (http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/group.php?do=grouplist)

vladsmythe
2013-09-25, 09:28 AM
Great suggestion. Hubs are also a great alternative, where many new treasures are still being shared.

RamesesII
2013-09-25, 11:37 AM
It's a great shame as there was a great community over at HC thanks to all the staff there who were amazing. They worked so hard and have been treated disgracefully. They were good to warn members not to send any more donations although after my last one was completely ignored until Erik was good enough to sort it for me there wasn't much fear of that. A lot of other members were treated in the same way - sent substantial donations and not a word of thanks, kiss my **** or any other kind of reply. So where's all the money gone and why yet another demand for even more funds?

From now on donations will be going to sites such as this one where they won't be falling into a bottomless pit.

sgolston
2013-09-25, 12:09 PM
Can you say more or provide a pointer re: hubs, vlady? I'm not sure what you're referring to.....

sgolston
2013-09-25, 12:59 PM
Personally, I just can't believe HC had to go down. I don't know even 10% of how that all got built or how the community came together in the beginning, but I wish it was a story that could be told more fully. At it's best it was awesome--not that other trackers aren't, mind you, but to me there was something different and a little bit special at HC, a presence that arose out of the interplay of so many incredible and diverse staff and members.

Somebody somewhere described the phenomena that occasionally happens when very passionate, knowledgeable, and dedicated people gather and are highly interactive with each other. An intelligence, a subtle form of consciousness if you will, arises out of that din and hubbub that no one intends, no one controls, and no one person can override through normal processes. That's what I saw and experienced at HC since I starting hanging out there in 2007 or so. Unfortunately, I guess the "no one person can override" was profoundly untrue in this case since there was an abnormal condition of one person with the on/off switch to the technology base in his or her hands.

FWIW, I exchanged unsigned personal messages with an individual who I presume to be that "on/off" person two days ago and he/she swore that HC would return even if he/she has to take out personal loans to see it happen. Maybe that's just vanity at this point--obviously the reputation and good will of the tracker is so damaged that I'm not even sure what that would mean. But I am very hopeful about discovering where that kind of organic buzz and collective expertise is happening and/or helping it to happen *somewhere* so that I/we can continue to experience the fun and enjoyment from carrying on about all this music and art that we all love so much.

Allow me to say again that I know the other trackers that have great communities are special in their own ways, too, and I so appreciate those individuals who offer their blood, sweat and tears (figuratively, literally, and musically!) toward their success. In my case, much of my energy and attention went into following HC because of the diversity of characters that hung out there. Simply put, it was the greatest record store that I never got to visit. Now, however, I will look to invest my resources in other worthy places! Bring them on, and above all, brothers and sisters: KEEP ON SHARING!!

daddyray
2013-09-25, 01:01 PM
come play in the lounge or the piano bar here....

:wave:

sgolston
2013-09-25, 01:06 PM
Will do, daddyray, will do!

guygee
2013-09-25, 01:15 PM
Off the top of my head it was Beatles audio and videos, Rolling Stones videos, and music-based tv shows recorded from the BBC and other European tv stations.
The entire run of the Johnny Cash show was seeded there, among the many other treasures. It was a good place to go looking for obscure shows. I once had the entire set of shows put on for the Christic Institute 1990-11-16&17, but lost it all in a HD crash. Now all I can find is the Bruce Springsteen shows ... HC at least had one of the Bonnie Raitt shows, a piece that now I can't find anywhere else.

I donated the last time the site was down, and when it came back I PM'ed and got no ack. I never liked the that feeling of pay for play anyways, but it is still sad to see such a great resource go down.

arfarf
2013-09-25, 02:44 PM
come play in the lounge or the piano bar here....

:wave:

That's funny. The lounge, and site wide lounge type behaviour, is why I have a hard time taking TTD seriously as a music site. Unlike other tracker / forum combo sites, it's the forums that generate most of the activity here, and the fact that a decent tracker is attached to it is more like an afterthought or an aberration.

jmanproductions
2013-09-25, 03:08 PM
I gave up my staff position over 3, maybe 4 years ago, because the money situation there was (always) shady.

daddyray
2013-09-25, 03:44 PM
come play int he lounge folks...

the ogre types are mostly gone...mostly

direwolf-pgh
2013-09-25, 04:25 PM
I gave up my staff position over 3, maybe 4 years ago, because the money situation there was (always) shady.

:thumbsup sites offering 'rewards for donations'. blatant red flag

Stranger09
2013-09-25, 05:22 PM
Google Hungercity...the full sad story seems to be on the Stones forum :(.

The good news is that Erik is taking seriously the idea of a 'son of HC' site, and other ex-staffers.

So, I will miss HC as it's been a truly great source of wonderful material, but look forward, hopefully to a phoenix like resurrection, albeit in a slightly different form, if we are lucky...

Thank to all those at HC who've made things happen so far, and if you can do more, in another guise, I look forward to that...

:)

arfarf
2013-09-25, 06:24 PM

I guess that rules out dime and planet rock.

I thought the staff at HC was real good, if they wanted to start their own tracker, that would sure make lemonade out of this lemon of a situation at HC.

daddyray
2013-09-25, 06:30 PM
Karmacity!

(but someone who is self focused might think that was about them. )

arfarf
2013-09-25, 06:41 PM
Now if you only had Carly Simon's legs...,

mike1061
2013-09-25, 07:01 PM
what material was this? perhaps it can be offered here without the threat of extortion
-----------------------------------------------------------------

A lot of old TV shows. Dime would have a problem with because of lip singing. Does anybody know how this sites rules are for that?
Shingdig, Where the action is, Night something. Beat club, I can't remember them all.
Thanks
Mike

direwolf-pgh
2013-09-25, 07:14 PM
I love those old tv shows too. Ready, Steady, Go etc..
general rule of thumb: if you can buy it / you cannot seed it

video w/lip sync wouldn't be an issue here.

nutzrocker
2013-09-25, 07:29 PM
That's the general rule on most sensible trackers, if you can't buy it legally, It's OK to go :);):)

arfarf
2013-09-25, 07:35 PM
video w/lip sync wouldn't be an issue here.

Even though they would be lip syncing to officially available audio?

direwolf-pgh
2013-09-25, 07:48 PM
I don't believe it would be an issue. Many serious/knowledgeable collectors here ~ share out the love. if for some reason it gets pulled don't let that stuff bother you.

CAF
2013-09-25, 07:50 PM

Wait - you mean it's not? :D

CAF
2013-09-25, 07:53 PM

I don't think so. A lot of sites I visit have similar incentives to get donations - get 10 GB added to your upload stats for a $10 donation, or something similar. As long as it's transparent I don't see a problem.

I will definitely miss their unique reward system of "karma points" for long-term seeding of torrents, with X number of GB added to your upload stats after Y hours of seeding. It helped to maintain a healthy ratio, and ensured most torrents stayed seeded.

arfarf
2013-09-25, 08:04 PM
I don't believe it would be an issue. Many serious/knowledgeable collectors here ~ share out the love. if for some reason it gets pulled don't let that stuff bother you.

Thanks for the clarification.

direwolf-pgh
2013-09-25, 08:15 PM
I don't think so. A lot of sites I visit have similar incentives to get donations - get 10 GB added to your upload stats for a $10 donation, or something similar. As long as it's transparent I don't see a problem.
no question that is an interesting topic to explore.

it used to be I'd mail you my list and you'd mail me your list. then we'd work out a tape trade. same tapes / same quantity .. :nono: and no high-speed dubbing. right?
but things have certainly changed. this exchange of cash for 'online perks' doesn't really fit the original trader vibe - its smacks more of a business transaction for intangible incentives.

it gets tricky. that's my 2’

mooncusser
2013-09-25, 08:22 PM
ye olde Bootcity/Tapecity went away, too, and the Earth is still spinning

donations are one thing, but funds in exchange for ratio/points/whatever isn't really a donation - 'tis a purchase

the "karmapoints" thing things is very do-able
gain points simply for seeding which can be turned in for upload credit
(not certain about specifics, but methinks it's an available feature or a plugin for vbulletin....)

vladsmythe
2013-09-25, 08:29 PM
I consider a donation to this site as I consider a Christmas tip for my trash collector, and my recycle guy. I don't ask for anything except the right address to send cash. I trust it goes to a good cause, but I don't lose sleep over it. I don't ever recall TTD asking, and the whole process seems very transparent here. I think that's how it should be. I appreciate this place for giving me a venue to share my videos. For that, I donate.

Bugs
2013-09-25, 09:02 PM
no question that is an interesting topic to explore.

it used to be I'd mail you my list and you'd mail me your list. then we'd work out a tape trade. same tapes / same quantity .. :nono: and no high-speed dubbing. right?
but things have certainly changed. this exchange of cash for 'online perks' doesn't really fit the original trader vibe - its smacks more of a business transaction for intangible incentives.

it gets tricky. that's my 2’

I've been thinking a lot about the gigs for cash thing — which is a transaction, not a donation — and the one thing that jumped out of me is that there are a lot of charities that give you token perks for donating, and the quality and quantity of the perks was commisserate to the amount donated (I'm thinking of PBS pledge drives in particular: donate $10, get a sticker; donate $1000, get the complete Red Dwarf on VHS).

A couple of complications with the system that I saw was the fact that people whose ratios were in the gutter at HC were encouraged to buy their way out the shit-gif; it also appeared that there were people who would join, drop a few hundred bucks, and then leech through their giant purchased ratio without seeding a kilobyte.

If there were a reincation of HC, it would be cool to offer some kind of perk to those who donated that could not be construed as quid pro quo. What that would be, I have no idea.

nutzrocker
2013-09-26, 06:59 AM
Up to now I did not see anything sinister about the ratio for donations system which I always looked at more as a gift for your donation rather than just taking the donation for nothing.

The pathetic soap opera that has become HC over the last couple of years and reading many of the comments written here on the subject of cash for ratio has got me looking at the subject from a different angle.

To be honest I'm torn between opinions. I can still see good points but like so many good things in this world it is open to abuse and can be used by abusers as a get out of jail free card.

I could say much about HC but I think I've previously said all That was needed. It's been a very upsetting experience watching someone press the self destruct button on something you've put years of work into. A place you've made many friends and a place that is like a second home. Now all that remains is to sit back and watch it all go up in smoke.

mike1061
2013-09-26, 07:01 AM
To me, the donation for GBs never bothered me at all. In fact it helped a little back when I had slower internet speeds. I doubt people could actuly buy there way out of seeding. You don't get that much of a change in your ratio.
No it doesn't fit the trader vibe, but bit torrenting doesn't either.
Thanks
Mike

RamesesII
2013-09-26, 07:41 AM
Agree 100% with nutzrocker. Not everyone has a super fast connection and being able to gain a few gbs for a donation which helps out the tracker as well was a welcome bonus. HC was fun and a great community. It is so sad to see it come crashing down in the way that it has. Nobody is going to become a millionaire from tracker donations. However a lot of people have donated recently in good faith (one guy several hundred dollars) and they have been treated disgracefully.

anglomuse
2013-09-26, 07:53 AM
It's a great shame as there was a great community over at HC thanks to all the staff there who were amazing. They worked so hard and have been treated disgracefully. They were good to warn members not to send any more donations although after my last one was completely ignored until Erik was good enough to sort it for me there wasn't much fear of that. A lot of other members were treated in the same way - sent substantial donations and not a word of thanks, kiss my **** or any other kind of reply. So where's all the money gone and why yet another demand for even more funds?

From now on donations will be going to sites such as this one where they won't be falling into a bottomless pit.

Same thing happened to me....a shame, really.

Bugs
2013-09-26, 10:01 AM
I doubt people could actuly buy there way out of seeding. You don't get that much of a change in your ratio.

You and I might not have our ratios affected by a $20 donation, but there are a lot of n00bs who sign up, download until their poor ratios automatically suspend their accounts, and then they are stuck there until they can make up the difference. They can't get uploader status. They, more than likely than not, have leeched old shows that no one else will be leeching soon. And, with their accounts frozen, they can't jump on active torrents to improve their ratios. Remember that HC citizens are forbidden from running more than one account from the same IP. I would assume that a user in this position could not delete and add a second (or third or fourth) account and start over, based on the assumption that she or he would repeat the same leechy behavior the next time around (and, to be fair to HC, that assumption is not unreasonable).

This scenario is well documented in the HC forum. Users in this position would pop up there with fair regularity asking how to regain good standing, and it was not uncommon for them for them to be told that, if they made a donation, that would get them out of the dog house.

bot
2013-09-26, 10:22 AM
Great suggestion. Hubs are also a great alternative, where many new treasures are still being shared.

Can you say more or provide a pointer re: hubs, vlady? I'm not sure what you're referring to.....

Karmacity!

Anyone can create a free forum at GroupSpaces. They can be public or private. (http://groupspaces.com/karmacity/) <-quick example
the free package could host roughly 5000 torrent files. lol

Igemo75
2013-09-26, 10:40 AM
Funny I discovered HC in 2008 at the same time as I discovered "Breaking Bad".

They both end at the same time... in a bloodbath! :D

myshadow
2013-09-26, 01:23 PM
there was a site wide posting telling people NOT to donate....naturally a week after I gave 15 bucks...and thought it odd that I never got credit in ratio bonus they promise...the swindle thing is unnerving.

vladsmythe
2013-09-26, 01:30 PM
You aren't alone. In spite of that experience, I think that this tracker is worthy of your support - $$ or otherwise. The staff here at TTD is responsive, and respectful of the members here. :)

CAF
2013-09-26, 11:37 PM

the fact I know what you're talking about takes me back about 30 years :-)

We used to bad-mouth high-speed dubbers to other traders the way we name and shame vine-killers now.

CAF
2013-09-26, 11:40 PM
A couple of complications with the system that I saw was the fact that people whose ratios were in the gutter at HC were encouraged to buy their way out the shit-gif; it also appeared that there were people who would join, drop a few hundred bucks, and then leech through their giant purchased ratio without seeding a kilobyte.

Personally, I don't see any harm to me if someone else improves their ratio, or leeches GBs of shows, in return for a donation that keeps the site going. After all, none of the zeros and ones they are downloading are disappearing from my hard drive.

LuvGlimmerTwins
2013-09-27, 08:10 AM
Personally, I don't see any harm to me if someone else improves their ratio, or leeches GBs of shows, in return for a donation that keeps the site going. After all, none of the zeros and ones they are downloading are disappearing from my hard drive.

:goodpost:

Igemo75
2013-09-27, 03:17 PM
I don't agree.. It aways irated me to see ppl with a 0.351 ratio ( = the mininum of the minimum) get as much stuff as they could. I couldn't help but think "that's some music no one's ever gonna see again" cos they were never gonna leech it to others*.

I'm from the school that says "leech to members of confidence only . They'll always be there for others".

* some of them were SO clueless they thought torrent sites were some kind of free musical 'grab all you can" buffet... "How do you say? Leeching..." :D

overhead
2013-09-27, 03:45 PM
In regards this subject,I have this very evening watched someone download a torrent on my client,via another tracker that I'm a member of,and as soon as the download was complete,they were off.
I checked the download history of that guy,and sure enough,his ratio was way low,but he had downloaded pages and pages of stuff,but no attempt to seed it back.
On the same tracker a guy asked me to seed a show for him.I checked the tracker and it was already being seeded.I checked his profile - same story - sixteen pages of completed shows,low ratio and seeding nothing.I pointed this out,and he suddenly put eight shows into his client to get me to seed.Seems he wanted a faster download.I pointed out to him that the longer it took for him to download,the longer he'd be seeding the bits he had got back,and left him to probably ask others to do the same.
Every tracker I'm a member of there's loads of people like that.Grab everything and seed nothing.They never post in the forums or bother to click the thanks button,if there is one either.Keep quiet and leech away.It's probably amongst that group,that you'll find the bootlegers and eBay sellers.
I can't really see those sort of people wanting to pay money to get a good ratio,'cos they don't give a shit.

direwolf-pgh
2013-09-27, 03:57 PM
agreed. if leeches donated ~ trackers would never go offline

p.s. we don't 'do ratios' here. its the honor system.

overhead
2013-09-27, 04:50 PM
I always try to reach and maintain a ratio of at least 2 as a personal thing,and donate to the trackers I use (except at the moment because I'm out of work), whether it's tracker policy or not,because I appreciate the fact that tapers and posters and seeders have made it possible for me to listen to this stuf.The thrill of hearing a concert I went to back in the eighties,posted by a guy in Scandinavia who's linked to my PC via another one in New York is magic to me,not technology.If I can get a show to someone else,so that THEY feel like that,then that is cool,and is what this is all about in my humble.

dasmueller
2013-09-27, 07:59 PM
I always ty to seed to at least the ratio I have or better. Here it's 1.9 other places 1.3 and some not so high as others did not want the shows. Those are still for the most part seeding tho if someone wants them. To me it's only polite to try and help others who might want the show as well.

What strikes me is the comment about the lack of thank yous. From my experience it is sadly an accurate statement. If I forget to do that I would be ashamed, but that's just me.

That being said, there are all kinds of folks and those who do not express there thanks and seed will remain. TTD can work through that and persevere for the folks that continue to make this a great place to grab some tunes and share our thoughts.

mooncusser
2013-09-27, 09:42 PM
:thanks:

RamesesII
2013-09-28, 02:27 AM
Donations are very poor ...........................

The amount required to get HC back online again has now increased to 425 USD :lol4: :lol4: :lol4:

nutzrocker
2013-09-28, 08:02 AM
HUNGERCITY UPDATE - 27TH SEPTEMBER, 2013 (7:30PM EST)

Most of you will have seen this statement. As any rational person would expect, donations have not been good.

Shareefs situation gets more desperate yet he still has not wrote a single word in the Hungercity Forum or contacted the Hungercity staff team.

He is acting like someone who has lost all sense of reality.

Oh yes, as the last post states, THE PRICE HAS JUST GONE UP :disbelief

---------------------------------------------------

AS THE DONATION PAGE CANNOT BE ACCESSED, PLEASE SEND ALL DONATIONS VIA PAYPAL TO : [email protected]

DUE TO THE VERY POOR DONATIONS LEVEL, THERE WILL BE A DELAY IN GETTING BACK ONLINE! WE ONLY HAVE A FEW DAYS TO GET THIS SORTED OR WE LOSE ALL THE SITE FILES ETC!!
IF YOU REALLY WANT TO HELP AND WANT TO SEE HUNGERCITY BACK, PLEASE DONATE NOW!! WITHOUT YOUR HELP IT WILL BE IMPOSSIBLE!!
INCLUDING THE RECONNECTION CHARGE, WE HAVE TO MAKE A PAYMENT OF $425 TO GET BACK ONLINE. ALL DEPENDS ON YOU GUYS NOW!

- SHAREEF

vladsmythe
2013-09-28, 09:08 AM
Yesterday KGO AM radio in San Francisco dedicated the entire 3 hour Ronn Owens show to the Bay Area Food Banks. A $1.00 dollar donation buys $4.00 dollars of food for hungry people. Seems like a better donation to me at this time. :)

nutzrocker
2013-09-28, 09:34 AM
How very true :thumbsup

mooncusser
2013-09-28, 09:35 AM
Shareef should sell t-shirts. He'd get the $$ in a flash! ;)

mobile PWing device

dasmueller
2013-09-28, 09:45 AM

vladsmythe
2013-09-28, 09:49 AM
"I donated to HungerCity for 3 years and all I got was this lousy T-shirt"

I think that would actually entice donations.

zag
2013-09-28, 10:07 AM
:lol4::lol::lmao:

thejackfate
2013-09-28, 10:18 AM
May I suggest,that all HC memembers that are unhappy with the situation and have contributed in the last few months,make a complaint to paypal for the return of their money,all monies will then be frozen in the recipients account until a satisfactory explanation is received .If that explanation is not forth coming then donations will be refunded.

RamesesII
2013-09-28, 10:29 AM
Everyone should of course complain to Paypal although they won't be entitled to a refund as they did not purchase anything "tangible". Paying for a service or making a fraudulent donation is not covered by Paypal's refund policy.

I called Paypal earlier today and made a complaint to their Fraud Department. If everybody else does the same then we might be able to stop this guy conning people out of their hard earned cash.

thejackfate
2013-09-28, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the clarification. I woulkd think if paypal have enough complaints then the account will be closed

U2Lynne
2013-09-28, 11:19 AM
Wow, this is pretty sad. Hungercity has been around for a long time and it's sad to see it go under such bad circumstances. It reminds me of the demise of STG where we Mods were all trying to hold things together and Gray was nowhere to be found and so we really had no idea what was going on. When things are so dire, it isn't a good time for the site owner to go into hiding.

And $425 due just to get the site going for another month? Good luck with that. This site's server costs are about $150 a month and we just get by (no complaints from me as we are making the payments and we aren't here to make a profit!).

Bugs
2013-09-28, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the clarification. I woulkd think if paypal have enough complaints then the account will be closed

I don't expect (nor did I ask for) a refund, but I filed a complaint this morning after reading that others were doing the same. Here's hoping that justice is served and that his account is terminated (with prejudice).

:spank:

RamesesII
2013-09-28, 11:45 AM
Ok guys and gals I'm copying here a post I made on the HC Forum - expect it might not last long and there seems to be much more traffic here

Complain To The Paypal Fraud Dept Now Guys & Gals!!!

Post by ozark » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:39 pm

As Simonlofc said on the What Is Up With HC Now thread complain to Paypal!!! Some of us have already done so but the more who complain the better. I called Paypal this morning and got through to the Fraud Department who are looking at it. We need more complaints - urgently!!!! Not everyone will know this is a scam and there could still be some donations being sent. We need to get this donation accounts closed by Paypal.

When you call ask to be referred to the Fraud Department. You can't get your money back as they won't refund you for a service or donation - just for a tangible item sent in the post. What you can do though is stop anyone else being conned into parting with their hard earned cash.

Don't just make an online complaint. Call them!!!. Click on Help on the top tool bar then on Contact Us on the right in the next screen click on Call Us on the left and on the right hand side of the page you will get a One Off Passcode and a telephone number for customer service. Make a note of your passcode. You will also need the telephone number on your Paypal account (I forgot which one I had on it and had to start again!!) and also the last four digits of the credit or banker's card you have on your account. Tell them what's going on - how for the second time in two months ShaReeF has closed HC and demanded money on line to re-open it. Only ShaReeF and Paypal know how much he's collected.

Do it now guys!!!!!!

Just let me tell you that I find this very painful - I loved HC and made some great online friends here. Miss it like hell.

MalFrie
2013-09-28, 12:29 PM
Does anyone know any info regarding just who ShaReef is?

vladsmythe
2013-09-28, 12:30 PM
Seems to me HC had several "eras". The Beatles era - when you could earn, and "gift" ratio to other members, was my favorite. It became much more autocratic after that. There seemed to be staff changes that also coincided with the shift in content. Dylan was once the theme, then Bowie, Van Morrison, Classic Old Euro Rock TV shows, etc. The bumping of torrents by staff, and not the contributing members was telling to me that things were strange.

I find it sort of odd that it took this final insult to members and staff, to take offense to the constant begging for donations. It was like clockwork at the 3rd week of every month, year after year - a solicitation in my PM box. Maybe I was out of the loop, but I recall lamenting the $675 dollar server fees years ago. If HC was still running, would the fees even be an issue now?

rflynn
2013-09-28, 12:37 PM
Does anyone know any info regarding just who ShaReef is?

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/shareef-bustani/67/9ab/3a0

I don't belong to LinkedIn, but this is the guy.

JackDog
2013-09-28, 12:46 PM
Is that the same guy? Because I was under the impression that English wasn't his first language so I assumed that he was from Europe.

rflynn
2013-09-28, 12:59 PM
Yes, I was a Founder at HC. I quit a few years ago because he would disappear and leave the staff to fend for themselves.

Bugs
2013-09-28, 01:10 PM
Is that the same guy? Because I was under the impression that English wasn't his first language so I assumed that he was from Europe.

For what it's worth, I was told that one his parents was a citizen of the UK, from where he is from originally, and that English is his first language (allegedly).

That said, as a recovering English professor, I can attest to the fact that a lack of fluency in one's native language is not unusual. However, just because one has all but the total inability to manipulate her or his native tongue in the written form does not mean that it ought not to be a source of shame.

Even if it were the only task to have been delegated, the person who operates HC should have allowed one of the volunteer staff members access to the site to proofread its content so that it looked as if its owner had at least graduated from primary school.

I try really hard not to nitpick grammar here in the intertubes (and it could be possible that he is dyslexic or has a kindred learning disability, which is no laughing matter), but, really, if one's grammar is that bad — for whatever reason — one needs to outsource.

My rather modest fee (Hi, ShaReeF! :wave:) is only $80 per hour.

RamesesII
2013-09-28, 01:27 PM
Is this the guy?

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p477/RamesesII/shareef_zps3e172004.jpg

paddington
2013-09-28, 07:22 PM
wait, this shit happened, again? So soon?

:hmm:

paddington
2013-09-28, 07:35 PM
Karmacity!

:lmao:

nutzrocker
2013-09-29, 05:42 AM
On a more serious note, if anyone around the net is still thinking of making any donations, please consider what the staff team has just discovered: -

if you go to Hunger City you get the "Host Gator . com" 404 Page Error screen. However, if you look at the url (below) this is a page created within Hunger City itself - with the name of "last chance". The tracker has not been "shut off" at all....

:mad::(:down::disbelief:wtf:

MalFrie
2013-09-29, 06:03 AM
I`ve just managed to log in to the Tracker & Artwork Forum (Says KarmaKat is the newest member) although the last message appears to be from LGT on Tuesday apologizing for the"Mess"

nutzrocker
2013-09-29, 06:09 AM
On a more serious note, if anyone around the net is still thinking of making any donations, please consider what the staff team has just discovered: -

if you go to Hunger City you get the "Host Gator . com" 404 Page Error screen. However, if you look at the url (below) this is a page created within Hunger City itself - with the name of "last chance". The tracker has not been "shut off" at all....

:mad::(:down::disbelief:wtf:

http://thehcforum.com/hungercity/lastchance.html/index.php

paddington
2013-09-29, 08:30 AM
yeah, he's just moving all the files so they can't be accessed while the lastchance.html page is pimped out.

the hostnig appears to still be active.

http://thehcforum.com/hungercity/

Bugs
2013-09-30, 12:01 PM
The following post (http://thehcforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4687&start=80) appeared this morning in the HC Forum:

The following message was sent to ShaReef the evening of Sept 29, US east coast time:

"HungerCity Staff
September 29, 2013

Dear Shareef:

Hungercity has been a home for many and has always had a good reputation for its audio and video torrents. Many people have given their enthusiasm, their energy , their time, their donations, and their music.

It is therefore with great regret that the staff of Hungercity unanimously came to the conclusion that we can no longer tolerate the way things are handled by the site owner.

1. There is no transparency about the real costs of the site. No Staff members have any knowledge of how much is donated or the site's financial resources, gains, losses or conditions.

2. People who have donated don’t get credited. Staff members have been left to handle these requests when individual users bring proof of donations to the their attention.

3. Crucial knowledge about the site, such as usernames and passwords for access to PayPal data and domain servers are only in your own posession.

4. The site is unstable and is frequently offline for extended periods. Good back-ups are not always available, so posts and threads are lost as a result.

The staff requested a contingency plan in case you were unable to perform your duties. Staff just wanted to avoid the frequent site outages, maintain all backups to prevent loss of valued data, and remove any appearance of improper fund management. But you refused this request, thwarting the staff's efforts to provide friendly management and smooth operation of the site.

So, staff consensus is this: unless you may immediately inform us of the concrete steps being taken to resolve these issues, we have decided to end our involvement with HungerCity.

Luisbp51
OutsideTLaw
LGT
Pottel
ErikSnow
Kisseber
Yassas
Falo
Blindwilly
Roberts
Nutzrocker
Nptslim
RubenCarter
Kixdude
mcp"

ShaReef's response follows:

"RESIGNATIONS ACCEPTED FOR ALL. HC WILL RETURN ANYWAYS."

:clap:

dasmueller
2013-09-30, 12:22 PM
A class act in action :(

RamesesII
2013-09-30, 12:56 PM
ShaReef's response follows:

"RESIGNATIONS ACCEPTED FOR ALL. HC WILL RETURN ANYWAYS." :wtf:

If he does bring it back it sure ain't gonna be a profitable as it used to be.

paddington
2013-09-30, 03:00 PM
this is why.

- no ratio enforcement
- no selling 'credits' of any type for 'donations'
- never, ever sell t-shirts

all that alters the vibe of the site and removes the fun

RamesesII
2013-09-30, 04:26 PM
HUNGERCITY UPDATE - 30TH SEPTEMBER, 2013 (5:00PM EST)

AS THE DONATION PAGE CANNOT BE ACCESSED, PLEASE SEND ALL DONATIONS VIA PAYPAL TO : [email protected]

THE SERVER PAYMENT TO THE HOST HAS BEEN MET. I WILL HAVE ACCESS TO THE HC SERVER WITHIN THE NEXT DAY OR SOONER. HC WILL BE UP AND RUNNING BY THURSDAY/FRIDAY.

THANKS TO ALL WHO STILL HAD FAITH WITH ME & HUNGERCITY. IT WILL NOT BE FORGOTTEN. WHEN THE CHIPS ARE DOWN YOU FIND OUT WHO ARE FRIENDS AND WHO ARE NOT. THIS WILL ALSO NOT BE FORGOTTEN OR FORGIVEN.

WE STILL HAVE TO PAY FOR THE OCTOBER SERVER BILL, AFTER WHICH WE WILL MOVE SERVERS TO A FAR MORE CHEAPER OPTION. BUT, ONE STEP AT A TIME!!!

IT WILL BE GOOD TO BE BACK SOON AND PROVE MANY SO CALLED FRIENDS WRONG!!

- SHAREEF

:finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger:

direwolf-pgh
2013-09-30, 04:29 PM
wow. this shareef guy is trippin hard

daddyray
2013-09-30, 04:30 PM
wow. this shareef guy BE trippin hard

FTFY Yo!

direwolf-pgh
2013-09-30, 04:46 PM
werd :cool: thx. this reminds me of that guy from etree that took the site offline cause he wanted $$$ compensation for his personal efforts.

is anyone looking forward to the site going back online? anyone got their money ready for this guy?

RamesesII
2013-09-30, 04:53 PM
I'm just rushing down to the bank to take out a second mortgage on my house so I can afford to make a huge donation so he doesn't have to move the site to a cheaper server

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

:stupid2:

RamesesII
2013-09-30, 05:02 PM
ALSO, THOSE OF YOU ARE STILL WAITING FOR YOUR DONATION CREDITS TO BE PROCESSED, WILL RECEIVE DOUBLE VALUE TO WHATEVER YOUR CONTRIBUTION. THIS WILL BE DONE AT THE EARLIEST OPPORTUNITY, ONCE I HAVE SERVER/SITE ACCESS. THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTINUED PATIENCE.

- SHAREEF

:bs:

Someone ought to tell this guy it's rude to shout

mike1061
2013-09-30, 06:31 PM
is anyone looking forward to the site going back online? anyone got their money ready for this guy?

That's what I was thinking. I'm not sure I want to be involved, and I deffinatly don't want to deal the endless begging/demanding.
Thanks
Mike

nutzrocker
2013-09-30, 06:49 PM
Now I am an EX staff member of Hungercity it will remain to be seen if I also get banned from the site after the years of work and downloads I've given there.

Not too bothered, There is more than enough to interest me between here, Dime & PRLB :):(:)

LuvGlimmerTwins
2013-09-30, 06:50 PM
Is this the guy?

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p477/RamesesII/shareef_zps3e172004.jpg

Yup.
So is this one
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/member.php?u=269678

I'll miss all the wonderful people I got to know at HungerCity. But I will enjoy having more free time for other ventures!

Luv ya,
LuvGlimmerTwins
aka LGT, no longer a staff member at HungerCity :disbelief

vladsmythe
2013-09-30, 06:52 PM
Nice ratio. :cool: If the site does continue, I hope they allow Hot Tuna torrents.

Bugs
2013-09-30, 06:55 PM
is anyone looking forward to the site going back online?

Yes. I know it's wrong, but I'm a sucker for schadenfreude.

:slydevil:

mooncusser
2013-09-30, 08:10 PM

HC will rise again, eh?
so will it be for real......
...or is he cancelling the fake shutdown just long enough for a wave of donations?

dasmueller
2013-09-30, 08:31 PM
:dunno:

paddington
2013-09-30, 09:38 PM

HC will rise again, eh?
so will it be for real......
...or is he cancelling the fake shutdown just long enough for a wave of donations?

HE SAID HE JUST NEEDS ONE MORE $600 DONATION IN 30 DAYS AND THEN HE WILL MOVE THE SITE TO A CHEAPER SERVER (AFTER THE NEXT PBS-STYLE FUND-DRIVE)

HE CAN'T MOVE IT RIGHT NOW BECAUSE VERY BUSY GETTING THE SITE BACK ONLINE AGAIN

dasmueller
2013-09-30, 09:41 PM
I think anyone thinking of donating should send their $s to GE who can hold them til he sees things are working well and on the up and up.

nutzrocker
2013-09-30, 10:23 PM
He forgot to put "Peace And Love To All" on the latest message :lol4::lol4::lol4:

kixdude
2013-09-30, 10:28 PM
that's because we will "not be forgiven"

He forgot to put "Peace And Love To All" on the latest message :lol4::lol4::lol4:

vladsmythe
2013-09-30, 10:53 PM
Not forgiving the HC staff for his own transgressions is pretty sad. Likely, he'll come to his senses.
"Is life crazy, or what?" - Albert Einstein

Bugs
2013-09-30, 11:03 PM

Albert Einstein was a ladies man
While he was working on his universal plan
He was making out like Charlie Sheen
He was a genius

paddington
2013-09-30, 11:23 PM
that's because we will "not be forgiven"

You are the Unforgiven

cue arpeggios

arfarf
2013-09-30, 11:36 PM
You are the Unforgiven

cue arpeggios

Shouldn't this thread be merged with the Fail thread in the lounge? :lol:

If I remember my history, now that the purge is complete, the next steps are controlling the press, redacting the record and photoshopping the May Day photo, am I forgetting anything?

arfarf
2013-10-01, 12:51 AM
Not forgiving the HC staff for his own transgressions is pretty sad. Likely, he'll come to his senses.

No, having a doberman snap the head of your kitty is pretty sad.

What you speak of is just pettiness, (which plays so rough).

Rather than send $10 to a tracker, I suggest the KFC 6 piece bucket.
When was the last time you found a tracker finger lickin' good?

tiglath
2013-10-01, 04:42 AM
Just a feeling of sadness to see another good source of music in its death spasm

mediaaddict
2013-10-01, 06:13 AM
Just a feeling of sadness to see another good source of music in its death spasm

This is what happens when the owners of sites that supposed to be "free" get greedy.

direwolf-pgh
2013-10-01, 06:23 AM
I think anyone thinking of donating should have their head examined.
If he goes back online 4chan should bring the hammer down!

Tappy
2013-10-01, 06:26 AM
This is what happens when the owners of sites that supposed to be "free" get greedy.

Greedy like your ratio perhaps? :wave:

nutzrocker
2013-10-01, 06:42 AM
As a now free man I will make my last comment on the whole subject that has at times been upsetting and at others very frustrating.

It actually feels good now to be free from it all. I can say that at all times during this circus the staff have tried to do the best they can in some very tricky circumstances. This may have only come to a head recently but things like this have been going on behind the scenes for a very long time. How we have managed to paper over the cracks for so long is a miracle.

Talking of miracles, how has the message on the Hungercity page gone from "Due To Poor Donations etc" to "The Server Payment To The Host Has Been Met"

Very sudden after only a couple of days, and right after all the staff resigned.

Hungercity will be back, but how long till it falls to bits.

My last thoughts on the subject :lol4::lol4::lol4::lol4::lol4::lol4::lol4:

Tappy
2013-10-01, 06:57 AM
Talking of miracles, how has the message on the Hungercity page gone from "Due To Poor Donations etc" to "The Server Payment To The Host Has Been Met"

Probably realised things are seriously going bad for him so he decided to spend some of that "donation" money to actually get the site up and running again.

Bet that put a hole in his pocket... :rolleyes:

RamesesII
2013-10-01, 07:00 AM
Big thanks to you Nutzrocker and of course all the wonderful HC staff. Also all the online friends over at HC who I've no doubt we will see around on other trackers and on the new one when it comes online. In the meantime I'll upload some Elvis here when I get home in a couple of weeks - and continue to upload here and support TTD.

As a guy on one of the other forums said "tell ShaReeF we've moved on". And so we have.

This is for all you guys and gals from HC and also to Lynne and the staff here who have very patiently allowed us to show our frustration, pain and annoyance on this thread

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

mediaaddict
2013-10-01, 07:30 AM
Greedy like your ratio perhaps? :wave:

Regarding my ratio Tappy, or whatever your name is. I have a hard drive with a limit of 289 GB. There's way for me to seed stuff I download. I am an administrator at 3 bootleg sites. All of which are FREE and NEVER ask for donations. The stuff I download I post on those those sites. I don't hoard anything I download!

paddington
2013-10-01, 08:28 AM
You can seed anything you download.

It isn't related to your hard drive size. Size doesn't matter. :)

We don't enforce ratios at TTD but you could stand to seed a bit more when you finish downloading.

Munichhilton
2013-10-01, 08:50 AM
I'll miss all the wonderful people I got to know at HungerCity. But I will enjoy having more free time for other ventures!

Luv ya,
LuvGlimmerTwins
aka LGT, no longer a staff member at HungerCity :disbelief

Freedom is a great thing. You worked pretty darn hard over there...enjoy...and if you get the fidgets maybe you'll want to help out on the new tracker.

mediaaddict
2013-10-01, 09:17 AM
You can seed anything you download.

It isn't related to your hard drive size. Size doesn't matter. :)

We don't enforce ratios at TTD but you could stand to seed a bit more when you finish downloading.

Thanks jameskg. I honestly did not know that!