The Traders' Den  

  The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble
 

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 2008-03-13, 07:26 PM
tgunn2760's Avatar
tgunn2760 tgunn2760 is offline
1.12 TB/1.19 TB/1.06
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Canada, eh?
DVD authoring software

I have Tsunami DVD Author Pro and Nerovision 3.

Does either re-encode the audio and/or video when authoring a DVD or not?

Tsunami has three options for audio: LPCM, MPEG and AC3.

I don't know about Nero.

Can anyone recommend a DVD authoring program that does not re-encode the audio and or video, if different from the two I have?
__________________
Partial DVD list here:
http://db.etree.org/tgunn2760

Text file of over 1500 DVDs:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxX3...Q2M/edit?pli=1

Trading status: Canada and USA only-please VERIFY all discs.

http://db.etree.org/public_wantlist....erid=tgunn2760
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #2  
Old 2008-03-13, 09:16 PM
DanielG's Avatar
DanielG DanielG is offline
300.35 GB/438.48 GB/1.46
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Australia
Re: DVD authoring software

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgunn2760 View Post
Can anyone recommend a DVD authoring program that does not re-encode the audio and or video, if different from the two I have?
DVD-Lab-Pro won't re-encode your video.
http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/dvdlabpro.html
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #3  
Old 2008-03-13, 10:43 PM
tgunn2760's Avatar
tgunn2760 tgunn2760 is offline
1.12 TB/1.19 TB/1.06
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Canada, eh?
Re: DVD authoring software

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgunn2760 View Post
Can anyone recommend a DVD authoring program that does not re-encode the audio and or video, if different from the two I have?
DVD-Lab-Pro won't re-encode your video.
http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/dvdlabpro.html
What about the audio?

Does Tsunami re-encode either video or audio?
__________________
Partial DVD list here:
http://db.etree.org/tgunn2760

Text file of over 1500 DVDs:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxX3...Q2M/edit?pli=1

Trading status: Canada and USA only-please VERIFY all discs.

http://db.etree.org/public_wantlist....erid=tgunn2760
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #4  
Old 2008-03-14, 03:08 AM
Thulani's Avatar
Thulani Thulani is offline
172.31 GB/208.97 GB/1.21
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Romania
Re: DVD authoring software

Video it will not be re-encoded if you un-check the "Always encode chapter into I picture" (you find this in the track settings)
By default the LPCM sound it will be re-encoded into AC3 (if i remember well). Just go to Options -> Preferences -> DVD-Video Settings -> For linear PCM use the format below -> choose your settings (this can be done from the track settings too but on the next project it will reset the previous settings so if you forget to manage it will re-encode the sound into LPCM into AC3)
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #5  
Old 2008-03-14, 12:47 PM
tgunn2760's Avatar
tgunn2760 tgunn2760 is offline
1.12 TB/1.19 TB/1.06
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Canada, eh?
Re: DVD authoring software

Quote:
Originally Posted by kill_them_all1000 View Post
Video it will not be re-encoded if you un-check the "Always encode chapter into I picture" (you find this in the track settings)
By default the LPCM sound it will be re-encoded into AC3 (if i remember well). Just go to Options -> Preferences -> DVD-Video Settings -> For linear PCM use the format below -> choose your settings (this can be done from the track settings too but on the next project it will reset the previous settings so if you forget to manage it will re-encode the sound into LPCM into AC3)
You are right about the audio, I try to remember that when encoding a show that has LPCM audio.

I thought it only encoded the audio that was added to the background of the menu.
__________________
Partial DVD list here:
http://db.etree.org/tgunn2760

Text file of over 1500 DVDs:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxX3...Q2M/edit?pli=1

Trading status: Canada and USA only-please VERIFY all discs.

http://db.etree.org/public_wantlist....erid=tgunn2760
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #6  
Old 2008-03-14, 01:00 PM
tgunn2760's Avatar
tgunn2760 tgunn2760 is offline
1.12 TB/1.19 TB/1.06
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Canada, eh?
Re: DVD authoring software

[quote=kill_them_all1000;819703]Video it will not be re-encoded if you un-check the "Always encode chapter into I picture" (you find this in the track settings)

I didn't find this in the track settings.
__________________
Partial DVD list here:
http://db.etree.org/tgunn2760

Text file of over 1500 DVDs:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxX3...Q2M/edit?pli=1

Trading status: Canada and USA only-please VERIFY all discs.

http://db.etree.org/public_wantlist....erid=tgunn2760
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #7  
Old 2008-03-14, 02:06 PM
Thulani's Avatar
Thulani Thulani is offline
172.31 GB/208.97 GB/1.21
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Romania
Re: DVD authoring software

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.p...19odrn&thumb=4
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #8  
Old 2008-03-14, 02:18 PM
tgunn2760's Avatar
tgunn2760 tgunn2760 is offline
1.12 TB/1.19 TB/1.06
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Canada, eh?
Re: DVD authoring software

Quote:
Originally Posted by kill_them_all1000 View Post

I have Tsunami DVD Author Pro, it doesn't have that option.
__________________
Partial DVD list here:
http://db.etree.org/tgunn2760

Text file of over 1500 DVDs:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxX3...Q2M/edit?pli=1

Trading status: Canada and USA only-please VERIFY all discs.

http://db.etree.org/public_wantlist....erid=tgunn2760
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #9  
Old 2008-03-14, 02:57 PM
Thulani's Avatar
Thulani Thulani is offline
172.31 GB/208.97 GB/1.21
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Romania
Re: DVD authoring software

I don't know why two different names for a software from same company.
Anyway, if the authoring job it will take more time (30 minutes + ) it means it re-encodes the video. My projects don't take more then 10 minutes, but i don't like motion menus so that's the reason for the short time.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #10  
Old 2008-03-14, 04:21 PM
tgunn2760's Avatar
tgunn2760 tgunn2760 is offline
1.12 TB/1.19 TB/1.06
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Canada, eh?
Re: DVD authoring software

Quote:
Originally Posted by kill_them_all1000 View Post
I don't know why two different names for a software from same company.
Anyway, if the authoring job it will take more time (30 minutes + ) it means it re-encodes the video. My projects don't take more then 10 minutes, but i don't like motion menus so that's the reason for the short time.
The authoring jobs never take that long, they take about 20 mns.

When I use motion menus they take a bit longer, but I never thought Tsunami re-encoded the video, not in that short time.

Thanks for replying.

I just won't author DVDs I record from TV on the computer. I can add chapter points on the stand alone and just leave it at that.
__________________
Partial DVD list here:
http://db.etree.org/tgunn2760

Text file of over 1500 DVDs:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxX3...Q2M/edit?pli=1

Trading status: Canada and USA only-please VERIFY all discs.

http://db.etree.org/public_wantlist....erid=tgunn2760
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #11  
Old 2008-03-15, 04:11 AM
DanielG's Avatar
DanielG DanielG is offline
300.35 GB/438.48 GB/1.46
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Australia
Re: DVD authoring software

DVD-Lab Pro won't encode your audio either. DVD Lab expects that your video and audio are fully encoded prior to authoring.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #12  
Old 2008-03-15, 07:10 AM
pawel's Avatar
pawel pawel is offline
Lockout here
369.86 GB/672.37 GB/1.82
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Poland
Re: DVD authoring software

Repeating and repeating again: TMPGEnc DVD Author re-encodes video, whatever setting you would use. Take a look at the manual where it's clearly stated. Files do not match MD5 checksum after compilation and demuxing, and sometimes changes are visible. Re-encoding vary from very slight to complete.

Tsunami is first version of 2.0. There was 2.x available without 'Tsunami' name.

There are four Windoze programs which do not re-encode AV stream: DVD-Lab Pro, DVD Maestro (not sold anymore), Muxman, Architect. IfoEdit and PgcEdit can also be used for authoring but the process is time consuming and rather complicated for a non experienced person.

I prefer DVD Maestro - sold to Apple, and was a base for Mac DVD Studio Pro. DVD Lab Pro is great for advanced authoring but quality of menus, especially motion, is not as good as created by other programs (cannot be reused). Freeware version of Muxman has no menu authoring feature. Architect has been programmed by... hmmm... plumber (?) so good luck to all who wish to use it -> full version costs around $50000 .....
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #13  
Old 2008-03-15, 10:10 AM
Thulani's Avatar
Thulani Thulani is offline
172.31 GB/208.97 GB/1.21
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Romania
Re: DVD authoring software

Encoding/transcoding a 4G file in less then 10 minutes its madness... or my PC has the fastest CPU had been ever made.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #14  
Old 2008-03-17, 06:22 PM
tgunn2760's Avatar
tgunn2760 tgunn2760 is offline
1.12 TB/1.19 TB/1.06
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Canada, eh?
Re: DVD authoring software

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielG View Post
DVD-Lab Pro won't encode your audio either. DVD Lab expects that your video and audio are fully encoded prior to authoring.

I still have that someplace, I found it difficult to use.

Tsunami is much easier.
__________________
Partial DVD list here:
http://db.etree.org/tgunn2760

Text file of over 1500 DVDs:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxX3...Q2M/edit?pli=1

Trading status: Canada and USA only-please VERIFY all discs.

http://db.etree.org/public_wantlist....erid=tgunn2760
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #15  
Old 2008-03-17, 08:52 PM
tgunn2760's Avatar
tgunn2760 tgunn2760 is offline
1.12 TB/1.19 TB/1.06
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Canada, eh?
Re: DVD authoring software

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel View Post
Repeating and repeating again: TMPGEnc DVD Author re-encodes video, whatever setting you would use. Take a look at the manual where it's clearly stated. Files do not match MD5 checksum after compilation and demuxing, and sometimes changes are visible. Re-encoding vary from very slight to complete.

Tsunami is first version of 2.0. There was 2.x available without 'Tsunami' name.

There are four Windoze programs which do not re-encode AV stream: DVD-Lab Pro, DVD Maestro (not sold anymore), Muxman, Architect. IfoEdit and PgcEdit can also be used for authoring but the process is time consuming and rather complicated for a non experienced person.

I prefer DVD Maestro - sold to Apple, and was a base for Mac DVD Studio Pro. DVD Lab Pro is great for advanced authoring but quality of menus, especially motion, is not as good as created by other programs (cannot be reused). Freeware version of Muxman has no menu authoring feature. Architect has been programmed by... hmmm... plumber (?) so good luck to all who wish to use it -> full version costs around $50000 .....
Maestro you can find on Ebay...is Architect the program that comes with Sony Vegas? What about ReelDVD? Does that encode video and audio? For the price it should author DVDs with one mouse click....$1500???? WTF?
__________________
Partial DVD list here:
http://db.etree.org/tgunn2760

Text file of over 1500 DVDs:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxX3...Q2M/edit?pli=1

Trading status: Canada and USA only-please VERIFY all discs.

http://db.etree.org/public_wantlist....erid=tgunn2760
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Reply

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Similar Threads
Thread Forum Replies Last Post
Please recommend DVD authoring software - mudster Technobabble 4 2008-12-15 10:03 AM
Help on DVD authoring... - hallucinogenetick Technobabble 4 2008-06-06 01:13 AM
Best DVD-Authoring Software? - invisigoth Technobabble 12 2007-09-04 07:16 AM
DVD Authoring software - RobDerhak Technobabble 7 2007-01-31 07:07 PM
DVD authoring help - jlinkon Technobabble 12 2006-10-28 10:47 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forums


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - , TheTradersDen.org - All Rights Reserved - Hosted at QuickPacket
no new posts