The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2020-02-07, 08:32 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Re: The Validity of MD5 Checksums

legacy article, 2004. here he is speaking about his own site but it represents the attitude of ttd pretty much perfectly. 'bootlegger' should be expressed as 'taper/trader' but overall its still relevant and important to ttd core philosophy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDawg
NEW SITE NEWS

If you're looking for news about the new BitTorrent and trading site I'm working on, the following link will be the permanent home (even after site launch) of news, updates, and status of the site: [archive]

Introduction

“Some of these bootleggers, they make pretty good stuff” –Bob Dylan

Welcome to my live music trading website. Traditionally, "bootlegging" refers to the rather seamy business surrounding unauthorized recordings. It generally meant that someone was illegally obtaining material with the intent to make a profit from an artist's work. Unreleased studio tapes were often stolen or bribed from money-grubbing studio-hands. All manner of methods were employed to obtain caches of live concert recordings that could be used to make bootleg records or tapes, and eventually CDs. Before the communications explosion of the mid 1990s, most fans had to shell out obscene amounts of money to acquire recordings that were oftentimes sonically inferior to "official" releases. It was rarely a rewarding purchase, but the hardcore fans of certain artists would do anything to obtain clips of music they would be able to purchase in a record store.

As with much of popular society, bootlegging took on a new face at the advent of the internet. Fans of music who simply wanted to hear recordings they otherwise wouldn't be able to developed distribution channels through which unofficial music could be traded. This practice has grown to such proportions that many people who are serious about music have begun collection and trading bootleg recordings.

The goal of the owner of this site is simply to collect and help others in the hobby of collection bootleg music. On this site, you will find no officially released material. Most modern bootleggers (myself included) believe that nothing should be traded that can be officially purchased through normal commercial avenues. We take a strict stance against music piracy, and believe in the virtue of financially supporting the performers or organizations which bring us the music we love. We also believe that unofficial recordings should be given or traded free of charge. This website and many others like it have taken a commitment to tape, trade, and archive music solely for the love the art. There should be no profit made and our archives should, as much as possible, contain material that cannot be purchased in a record store.

Since bootleg music is spread through thousands of hands, it is important to keep the music lossless CD quality. Despite what some supposed music fans will tell you, mp3, ogg, aac, wma, and other lossy music files are NOT CD quality. They employ compression which discards certain parts of the music in favor of smaller file size. While it is true that these formats, if a high enough bitrate is used, are perceptually similar to the original CD quality file, it is considered bad practice to use these formats. Many, many people will obtain recordings that you trade, and for the good of the bootleg trading pool, lossy compression schemes should NEVER be used. NO LOSSY FILE FORMATS (MP3, OGG, AAC, WMA) ARE ALLOWED ON THIS SITE!

So, if you'd like to browse through my tradelist, look over at the left-hand side of the site and you'll see links to my audio and video lists. Feel free to contact me with any questions or to setup a trade. I am always willing to help in any way I can and, time permitting, am always up for trading for new music. Keep it free and keep the music pure.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2020-02-07, 08:53 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Countdown to ttd launch blog Part 1, 2004-10-25. sol4590 is now "The RainDawg". Can you feel the electricity?
Quote:
SITE NEWS (updated 10/25/2004)

First of all, yes, www.sharingthegroove.org is officially dead. The owner has decided that he no longer cares to manage the site. There are many, many rumors out there, most of which are untrue. Regardless, a great thing has been lost from the community, and I apologize on behalf of myself and many other ex-mods that the final few months were such a disaster, with such final and unfortunate results. None of us, myself included, knew how it was going to end until it did.

After posting a short message in one of the bt.easytree.org torrents about my involvement in a high-quality BitTorrent trading site, I got well over 100 emails from people within a few hours asking for updates. Yes, it's true, I am currently working with several other displaced admins and mods from the now permanently defunct STG to bring you a new site dedicated to sharing music with a special tilt towards technical discussion and higher quality seeds. This is NOT STG2 or a rebirth in any way. It is an entirely new experiment in unofficial music trading ideology.

We currently have a good team of moderators and administrators in place, and are all confident that we can maintain a good website. Our goal is to have the site run entirely from donations and we'd like to abstain from advertising completely. We've had several offers of financial assistance from various people, and we appreciate these. We're not at a point where we can accept these offers right now but we will certainly need help as we go live and adjust our webserver package. Juding by the incredible interest in the community right now, we're expecting quite a few visitors and a likely server upgrade early on in the site's existence. If you'd like to donate, please wait until we have the site up and running.

Finally, we all believe in having an open community. I have put this news on my personal website because I believe in making a personal connection with you, our potential userbase. This will not be another situation where you will be lead to false hope through a barrage of inaccurate data. Myself and the others involed in this project will be straight and up front with you.

As an additional note we are looking for someone with skills in Linux to help write tutorials to be posted on this site, as it will serve as a technical archive for our new endeavor (to save server load). Browse over the few I've got to get an idea of what we will need. If someone could writeup something about audio playing, editing, exact cd ripping and compressing, or anything else for Linux, I would be happy to add it here. You will, of course, be credited however you choose. We need all the help we can get in building a community where technical tutorials can help anyone make quality, verifiable seeds.

Thank You,
The RainDawg

Quote:
Old 2020-02-07, 08:59 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Countdown to ttd launch blog 2004-10-29.
Quote:
The RainDawg's Guide To Unofficial Collecting

SITE NEWS (updated 10/29/2004)

I'm updating this page to let everyone know that we're getting closer to going live. We have a site name and a domain registered, but I am unable to announce it right now because the site is not quite ready for public use.

Also, we've deicided that it's time to let you all know who we are, so here's a list of the handles each of us go by. You may recognize some of us from the now defunct www.sharingthegroove.org, but we've also expanded to include some that many will not know. We have a very strong team who really are doing an outstanding job putting together this new trading community. The parties involved are:
bill_kate, bowman, DDSTree, Five, RainDawg, Rider, severin, and U2Lynne

Also, we've written a mission statement to help define what we're all about:
Welcome to The Traders' Den. We the administrators will be familiar faces to some, and new to others. Each of us have been involved in various trading communities for many years, and many have worked together on other trading sites. We have come together to create a online trading site with an entirely new ideology. This site will be geared towards a certain kind of collector: those who feel quality and integrity are important. Our policies will seem demanding to many users, but we have witnessed the decline in overall quality in many other trading circles due to lax restrictions. We offer a safe haven for traders frustrated with the dilution of quality in the trading pool, as well as our combined experience and devotion to helping new users enter an elite trading community.
Quality is not an option in the seeds here, it will be the standard.

Once again, note that we aim to have an open, userdriven community. Please feel free to email or get me on AIM if you'd like to talk about this new venture. Also, the site will run without advertising and will rely on donations for operational costs. However, we are unable at the current time to accept donations as the framework for doing so is not in place. Thank you all for the many generous offers we've recieved for funding, and note that once the site is officially launched, you will be able to donate whatever you can.

Thank you all for your patience. We're doing all we can to build an impressive and fun environment, and want to make sure it's right before going live. Keep watch of this page over the next week for an update on what day we're going live.

Thank you again for your interest in this new project,
The RainDawg

Quote:
Old 2020-02-07, 09:03 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Countdown to launch blog 2004-11-04.
Quote:

This news page is dedicated to providing a running status of the new high quality BitTorrent community I am involved in called The Traders' Den. This site will remain updated throughout the life of the site providing information about the current status.

SITE NEWS (updated 11/4/2004)

I know it seems like it's taking a long time, but we're making such outstanding progress on this site, and want everything to be perfect. Thanks to the thousands of people who have visited this page looking for info on the new site. It's encouraging to see so many people wanting a better and more quality-driven community, and rest assured that everyone involved is working hard to make sure that we don't dissapoint.

We are getting very close to being ready to go live. Though there's no definite timeline yet, stay tuned to this website as we should be able to give out the name and the release day sometime in the next week or two. Just to give you an idea of what features we're putting into the site, here's a few teasers:
  • An automated tracker upload page that will allow you to upload a .torrent and create an announce thread by only filling out info in an interactive upload page. No more arguments over thread titles or what information needs to be included.
  • A huge FAQ including software tutorials, technical information, and guides for doing error-free lossless seeding and trading. The FAQ will be open to submissions from users and is therefore limited only to the imagination and dedication of it's userbase.
  • A detailed seeding policy to help restore a feeling of confidence in the trading pool.
  • An open suggestion forum where any user can make requests, issue criticisms, and suggest improvements for the site. The administrators have dedicated themselves to responding to any and all posts to ensure that every user at least gets an explanation to their questions or comments.

Quote:
Old 2020-02-07, 09:05 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Countdown to launch blog 2004-11-08.
Quote:

This news page is dedicated to providing a running status of the new high quality BitTorrent community I am involved in called The Traders' Den. This site will remain updated throughout the life of the site providing information about the current status.

SITE NEWS (updated 11/8/2004)

We've welcomed a new moderator, [SpankSinatra], into the site. He's helped us by designing the site layouts, custom icons, and banners. He'll be hanging around after launch to maintain the site aesthetics and help moderate the forums.

Please stay tuned to this page as we'll be announcing the site's name and a "going live" date within the next couple of days!

Quote:
Old 2020-02-07, 09:07 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Countdown to launch blog 2004-11-09.
Quote:

SITE NEWS (updated 11/9/2004)

Good news! The site has been completed, and is currently undergoing a period of peer review. Some close friends and respected tapers have been asked to come in and test the site out. Starting tomorrow morning, there will be about 10-20 people poking around, helping debug any problems. Right now there are 4 seeds on the tracker, each transferring nicely. If all goes well with the first few test seeds, we will be opening our doors to the public next Tuesday.

If you have some rare or unreleased material with complete lineage available that you'd like to seed, please contact me personally so that I can set you up with an advance account. We'd like to have the world pass through our threshold into an already bustling comminty of trading, technical discussion, and active BitTorrent seeds. If you want to help in this respect, let me know what you're willing to seed and I'll get you the login information.

We're coming down to the final days of the initial phase of site development, and we are all very happy with the results. We've done more over the past few weeks than we ever imagined was possible during our previous endeavors in the BitTorrent trading world, and it's just the beginning. As we have time to conitune to develop our tracker, forum system, and build on our FAQ we honestly believe that we'll be able to distinguish our site as the premier BitTorrent trading site on the internet. It seems that every day or so I hear about another upstart BitTorrent site that beat us out of the gates. We've opted to spend some time and money up front to develop a good team, put together a nice framework, and make it look nice before allowing the world to see. We thank all the hundreds of people who check back to this page every day for their patience. The time is coming when a new trading site unlike any other on the internet will be upon you.

Quote:
Old 2020-02-07, 09:08 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Countdown to launch blog 2004-11-11.
Quote:

SITE NEWS (updated 11/11/2004)

Initial testing at The Traders' Den has been going fantastically. There are a handful of active seeds and a rapidly building discussion board. There have been a few typos and bugs caught by some very eagle-eyed users, so we're glad to have decided to do this peer review period. If things continue to go as well is it has, we're planning on allowing open membership early next week.

Quote:
Old 2020-02-07, 09:09 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Countdown to launch blog 2004-11-16. final entry.
Quote:

SITE NEWS (updated 11/16/2004) - The Traders' Den Open to the Public

The Traders' Den is finally complete, and ready to open it's doors to the public. As of 5:00 PM EST, www.thetradersden.org will be available for open membership. Please read the FAQ and the policies before posting. You'll notice that we are quite a bit more strict in our seeding guidelines than any other music trading website. Please post in our Technobabble forums if you have any questions about the legality of certain seeds before posting. And remember to have fun! This has been a long and difficult project to bring you this site, but it's well-worth it. We appreciate any comments, questions, or concerns.

Quote:
Old 2020-02-07, 10:01 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

legacy software documentation shntool.txt
Code:
SHNTOOL(1)                           local                          SHNTOOL(1)

NAME
       shntool - a multi-purpose WAVE data processing and reporting utility

SYNOPSIS
       shntool mode ...
       shntool [CORE OPTION]

DESCRIPTION
       shntool  is  a command-line utility to view and/or modify WAVE data and
       properties.  It runs in several different operating modes, and supports
       various lossless audio formats.

shntool is comprised of three parts -- its core, mode modules, and for-
       mat modules.  This helps to make the code easier to maintain,  as  well
       as  aid other programmers in developing new functionality.  The distri-
       bution archive contains a file named 'modules.howto' that describes how
       to create a new mode or format module, for those so inclined.

Mode modules
       shntool performs various functions on WAVE data through the use of mode
       modules.  The core of shntool is simply a wrapper around the mode  mod-
       ules.   In  fact,  when  shntool  is run with a valid mode as its first
       argument, it essentially runs the  main  procedure  for  the  specified
       mode,  and quits.  shntool comes with several built-in modes, described
       below:

len    Displays length, size and properties of PCM WAVE data

fix    Fixes sector-boundary problems with CD-quality  PCM  WAVE
                     data

hash   Computes the MD5 or SHA1 fingerprint of PCM WAVE data

pad    Pads  CD-quality  files  not aligned on sector boundaries
                     with silence

join   Joins PCM WAVE data from multiple files into one

split  Splits PCM WAVE data from one file into multiple files

cat    Writes PCM WAVE data from one or more files to the termi-
                     nal

cmp    Compares PCM WAVE data in two files

cue    Generates a CUE sheet or split points from a set of files

conv   Converts files from one format to another

info   Displays detailed information about PCM WAVE data

strip  Strips extra RIFF chunks and/or writes canonical headers

gen    Generates  CD-quality  PCM  WAVE  data  files  containing
                     silence

trim   Trims PCM WAVE silence from the ends of files

For more information on the meaning of the various command-line options
       for each mode, see the MODE-SPECIFIC OPTIONS section below.

For convenience, each mode can specify an alternate name or alias  that
       will  invoke  it  (this  feature is currently only available on systems
       that support symbolic or hard linking).  In particular,  each  mode  is
       aliased  to 'shn<mode>'.  For instance, running shnlen is equivalent to
       running shntool len - thus saving a few keystrokes.

Format modules
       File formats are abstracted from shntool through the use of format mod-
       ules.   They  provide  a  means for shntool to tranparently read and/or
       write different file formats.  This abstraction allows shntool to  con-
       centrate  on  its  job  without worrying about the details of each file
       format.

The following formats are currently supported:

wav    RIFF WAVE file format

aiff   Audio Interchange File Format (AIFF and uncompressed/sowt
                     AIFF-C only) (via sox: <http://sox.sourceforge.net/>)

shn    Shorten  low  complexity  waveform  coder  (via  shorten:
                     <http://www.softsound.com/Shorten.html>,
                     <http://www.etree.org/shnutils/shorten/>)

flac   Free Lossless Audio Codec (via flac: <http://flac.source-
                     forge.net/>)

ape    Monkey's  Audio  Compressor  (via  mac:  <http://www.mon-
                     keysaudio.com/>,    <http://sourceforge.net/projects/mac-
                     port/>)

ofr    OptimFROG   Lossless   WAVE   Audio   Coder   (via   ofr:
                     <http://www.losslessaudio.org/>)

lpac   Lossless   Predictive   Audio   Compression   (via  lpac:
                     <http://www.nue.tu-berlin.de/wer/liebchen/lpac.html>)

wv     WavPack  Hybrid  Lossless  Audio  Compression  (via  wav-
                     pack/wvunpack: <http://www.wavpack.com/>)

alac   Apple     Lossless     Audio     Codec     (via     alac:
                     <http://craz.net/programs/itunes/alac.html>)

la     Lossless Audio (via la: <http://www.lossless-audio.com/>)

tta    TTA Lossless Audio Codec (via ttaenc: <http://tta.source-
                     forge.net/>)

bonk   Bonk   lossy/lossless   audio   compressor   (via   bonk:
                     <http://www.logarithmic.net/pfh/bonk>)

kxs    Kexis   lossless   WAV   file   compressor   (via  kexis:
                     <http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/kexis/>)

cust   Custom output format  module  (output  only,  useful  for
                     encoding to a format that shntool does not yet support)

term   sends output to the terminal

null   sends  output  to /dev/null (output only, useful for dry-
                     runs in several modes, such as fix mode or strip mode)

When reading files for input, shntool automatically discovers which, if
       any, format module handles each file.  In modes where files are created
       as output, you can specify what the output format should be  --  other-
       wise,  shntool  decides for you by selecting the first format module it
       finds that supports output (in a default installation, this will be the
       wav format).

CORE OPTIONS
   Modeless
       When run without a mode, shntool takes these options:

-m     Show detailed mode module information

-f     Show detailed format module information

-v     Show version information

-h     Show a help screen

GLOBAL OPTIONS
   All modes
       All modes support the following options:

-D     Print debugging information

-H     Print times in h:mm:ss.{ff,nnn} format, instead of m:ss.{ff,nnn}

-P type
              Specify progress indicator type.  type is  one  of:  {pct,  dot,
              spin,  face, none}.  pct shows the completion percentage of each
              operation.  dot shows the progress of each operation by display-
              ing  a  '.' after each 10% step toward completion.  spin shows a
              spinning progress indicator.  face shows the  progress  of  each
              operation  by  displaying six emoticons that become increasingly
              happy as the operation  nears  completion.   none  prevents  any
              progress  completion  information  from  being  displayed.   The
              default is pct.

-h     Show the help screen for this mode

-i fmt Specify input file format decoder and/or arguments.  The  format
              is:  "fmt  decoder  [arg1  ... argN]", and must be surrounded by
              quotes.  If arguments are given, then one of them  must  contain
              "%f", which will be replaced with the input filename.  Examples:

-i 'shn shorten-2.3b'  (use  official  shorten-2.3b  instead  of
              later versions; leave default arguments untouched)

-i  'shn  shorten  -x  -d  2048 %f -' (force shorten to skip the
              first 2048 bytes of each file)

-q     Suppress non-critical output (quiet mode).  Output that normally
              goes  to  stderr  will  not  be  displayed, other than errors or
              debugging information (if specified).

-r val Reorder input files?  val  is  one  of:  {ask,  ascii,  natural,
              none}.  The default is natural.

-v     Show version information

-w     Suppress warnings

--     Indicates that everything following it is a filename

Output modes
       Additionally,  any mode that creates output files supports the the fol-
       lowing options:

-O val Overwrite existing files?  val is one of: {ask, always,  never}.
              The default is ask.

-a str Prefix str to base part of output filenames

-d dir Specify output directory

-o str Specify  output file format extension, encoder and/or arguments.
              Format is:  "fmt [ext=abc] [encoder [arg1 ... argN (%f  =  file-
              name)]]",  and  must  be surrounded by quotes.  If arguments are
              given, then one  of  them  must  contain  "%f",  which  will  be
              replaced with the output filename.  Examples:

-o  'shn  shorten  -v2  - %f' (create shorten files without seek
              tables)

-o 'flac flake - %f' (use alternate flac encoder)

-o 'aiff ext=aif' (override default  aiff  extension  of  'aiff'
              with 'aif')

-o  'cust  ext=mp3  lame  --quiet  - %f' (create mp3 files using
              lame)

-z str Postfix str to base part of output filenames

MODE-SPECIFIC OPTIONS
   len mode options
       -U unit
              Specifies the unit in which the totals will be printed.  unit is
              one of: {b, kb, mb, gb, tb}.  The default is b.

-c     Do not show column names

-t     Do not show totals line

-u unit
              Specifies  the unit in which each file will be printed.  unit is
              one of: {b, kb, mb, gb, tb}.  The default is b.

len mode output

The output of len mode may seem cryptic  at  first,  because  it
              attempts  to convey a lot of information in just a little bit of
              space.  But it is quite easy to read once you know what the col-
              umns  represent;  and in certain columns, what each character in
              the column means.  Each column is explained below.

length Shows the length of the WAVE data, in m:ss.nnn (millisec-
                     ond)  format.  If the data is CD-quality, then m:ss.ff is
                     shown instead, where ff is a number from 00  to  74  that
                     best approximates the number of frames (2352-byte blocks)
                     remaining after m:ss.  If all files are  CD-quality,  the
                     total  length  will be shown in m:ss.ff format; otherwise
                     it will be in m:ss.nnn format.   NOTE:  CD-quality  files
                     are  rounded  to  the  nearest frame; all other files are
                     rounded to the nearest millisecond.

expanded size
                     Shows the total size of all WAVE chunks within  the  file
                     (header,  data  and  any extra RIFF chunks).  Essentially
                     this is the size that the file would be if it  were  con-
                     verted to .wav format, e.g.  with shntool conv.

NOTE:  Do  not rely on this field for audio size!  If you
                     simply want to know how many bytes  of  audio  are  in  a
                     file,  run  it  through  info mode, and look at the "data
                     size" field in its output.

cdr    Shows properties related to CD-quality files.  A  'c'  in
                     the  first slot indicates that the WAVE data is not [C]D-
                     quality.  A 'b' in the second slot indicates that the CD-
                     quality  WAVE data is not cut on a sector [b]oundary.  An
                     's' in the third slot indicates that the CD-quality  WAVE
                     data is too [s]hort to be burned.

A '-' in any of these slots indicates that the particular
                     property is OK or normal.  An 'x' in any of  these  slots
                     indicates  that the particular property does not apply to
                     this file, or cannot be determined.

WAVE   Shows properties of the WAVE data.  An 'h' in  the  first
                     slot  indicates  that the WAVE [h]eader is not canonical.
                     An 'e' in the second slot indicates that  the  WAVE  file
                     contains [e]xtra RIFF chunks.

property is OK or normal.  An 'x' in any of  these  slots
                     indicates  that the particular property does not apply to

problems
                     Shows problems detected with the WAVE header, WAVE  data,
                     or  the  file  itself.  A '3' in the first slot indicates
                     that the file contains an ID[3]v2 header.  An 'a' in  the
                     second   slot  indicates  that  the  audio  data  is  not
                     block-[a]ligned.  An 'i' in the third slot indicates that
                     the  WAVE header is [i]nconsistent about data size and/or
                     file size.  A 't' in the fourth slot indicates  that  the
                     WAVE  file  seems  to be [t]runcated.  A 'j' in the fifth
                     slot indicates that the WAVE file seems  to  have  [j]unk
                     appended to it.

problem was not detected.  An 'x' in any of  these  slots
                     indicates  that  the particular problem does not apply to

fmt    Shows which file format handled this file.

ratio  Shows the compression ratio for this file.

filename
                     Shows the name of the file that's being inspected.

fix mode options
       NOTE: file names for files created in fix mode will  be  based  on  the
       input file name with the string '-fixed' appended to it, and the exten-
       sion will be the default extension of  the  output  file  format.   For
       example,  with  an  output  file format of shn the file 'foo.wav' would
       become 'foo-fixed.shn'.  This can be overridden with the -a  and/or  -z
       global options described above.

-b     Shift  track  breaks  backward  to the previous sector boundary.
              This is the default.

-c     Check whether fixing is needed,  without  actually  fixing  any-
              thing.  shntool will exit with status 0 if fixing is needed, and
              status 1 otherwise.  This can be useful in shell scripts,  e.g.:
              "if shntool fix -c *; then shntool fix *; else ...; fi"

-f     Shift track breaks forward to the next sector boundary.

-k     Specifies  that all files should be processed, even if the first
              several of them wouldn't be altered, aside from a possible  file
              format  change.   The  default is to skip the first N files that
              wouldn't be changed from a WAVE data  perspective  in  order  to
              avoid unnecessary work.

-n     Specifies  that  the last file created should not be padded with
              silence to make its WAVE data size a  multiple  of  2352  bytes.
              The default is to pad the last file.

-u     Round track breaks to the nearest sector boundary.

hash mode options
       -c     Specifies  that  the  composite  fingerprint for all input files
              should be generated, instead of the default of  one  fingerprint
              per  file.   The composite fingerprint is simply the fingerprint
              of the WAVE data from all input files taken as a  whole  in  the
              order given, and is identical to the one that would be generated
              from the joined file if the same  files  were  joined  into  one
              large  file,  with no padding added.  This option can be used to
              fingerprint file sets, or to identify file sets in  which  track
              breaks have been moved around, but no audio has been modified in
              any way (e.g. no padding added, no resampling done, etc.).

-m     Generate MD5 fingerprints.  This is the default.

-s     Generate SHA1 fingerprints.

pad mode options
       NOTE: file names for files created in pad mode will  be  based  on  the
       input  file name with the string '-prepadded' or '-postpadded' appended
       to it, and the extension will be the default extension  of  the  output
       file  format.   For example, with an output file format of shn and pre-
       padding specified on the command line, the file 'foo.wav' would  become
       'foo-prepadded.shn'.   This  can  be  overridden  with the -a and/or -z

Be aware that some output format encoders (e.g.  flac,  ape)  automati-
       cally strip headers and/or extra RIFF chunks.

-b     Specifies  that  the file created should be padded at the begin-
              ning with silence to make its WAVE data size a multiple of  2352
              bytes.

-e     Specifies that the file created should be padded at the end with
              silence to make its WAVE data size a  multiple  of  2352  bytes.
              This is the default action.

join mode options
       NOTE:  file  names for files created in join mode will be prefixed with
       'joined.', and the extension will be the default extension of the  out-
       put  file  format.   For example, with an output file format of wav the
       files 'files*.wav' would become 'joined.wav'.  This can  be  overridden
       with the -a and/or -z global options described above.

-b     Specifies  that  the file created should be padded at the begin-
              ning with silence to make its WAVE data size a multiple of  2352
              bytes.   Note that this option does not apply if the input files
              are not CD-quality, since padding is undefined in that case.

-e     Specifies that the file created should be padded at the end with
              silence  to  make  its  WAVE data size a multiple of 2352 bytes.
              This is the default action.  Note  that  this  option  does  not
              apply  if  the  input files are not CD-quality, since padding is
              undefined in that case.

-n     Specifies that the  file  created  should  not  be  padded  with
              silence  to  make  its  WAVE data size a multiple of 2352 bytes.
              Note that this option does not apply if the input files are  not
              CD-quality, since padding is undefined in that case.

split mode options
       NOTE:  file  names for files created in split mode are of the form pre-
       fixNNN.ext, where NNN is the output  file  number,  and  'ext'  is  the
       default  extension of the output file format.  If an output file format
       of 'wav' is used, and the prefix is  not  altered  via  the  -n  switch
       described   below,   then   the  output  file  names  will  be  "split-
       track01.wav", "split-track02.wav", etc.  This can  be  overridden  with
       the -a and/or -z global options described above.

For  information  on  specifying split points, see the Specifying split
       points section below.

-c num Specifies the number to start counting from when  naming  output
              files.  The default is 1.

-e len Prefix each track with len amount of lead-in taken from the pre-
              vious track.  len must be  given  in  bytes,  m:ss,  m:ss.ff  or
              m:ss.nnn format.

-f file
              Specifies  a  file  from which to read split point data.  If not
              given, then split points are read from the terminal.

-l len Specifies that the input file should be split into smaller files
              based  on multiples of the len time interval.  len must be given
              in bytes, m:ss, m:ss.ff or m:ss.nnn format.

-n fmt Specifies the file count output format.  The  default  is  %02d,
              which gives two-digit zero-padded numbers (01, 02, 03, ...).

-t fmt Name  output  files  in user-specified format based on CUE sheet
              fields.  The following formatting strings are recognized:

%p     Performer

%a     Album

%t     Track title

%n     Track number

-u len Postfix each track with len amount of lead-out  taken  from  the
              next  track.   len  must  be  given  in  bytes, m:ss, m:ss.ff or
              m:ss.nnn format.

-x list
              Only extract  tracks  in  list  (comma  separated,  may  contain
              ranges).  Examples include:

7      Only extract track 7

3-5    Only extract tracks 3 through 5

2-6,9,11-13
                     Only extract tracks 2 through 6, 9, and 11 through 13

Specifying split points
              Split  points  simply  mark  places  within the WAVE data of the
              input file where tracks will be split.  They can be specified in
              any combination of the following formats:

bytes  where bytes is a specific byte offset

m:ss   where m = minutes and ss = seconds

m:ss.ff
                     where  m  = minutes, ss = seconds and ff = frames (75 per
                     second, so ff ranges from 00 to 74)

m:ss.nnn
                     where m = minutes, ss = seconds and  nnn  =  milliseconds
                     (will be rounded to closest sector boundary, or the first
                     sector boundary if the closest  one  happens  to  be  the
                     beginning of the file)

CUE sheet
                     -  a  simple  CUE sheet, in which each "INDEX 01 m:ss:ff"
                     line is converted to a m:ss.ff split point

Split points must be given in increasing order, and must  appear
              one  per  line.   If  the  byte offset calculated from the final
              split point equals the input file's WAVE data size, then  it  is
              ignored.   Since split points specify locations within the input
              file where tracks will be split, N split points will create  N+1
              output  files.   All  m:ss  formats will create splits on sector
              boundaries whenever the input file is CD-quality; to force  non-
              sector-aligned splits, use the exact byte format.

cat mode options
       -c     Specifies  that  extra RIFF chunks should be suppressed from the
              output.  The default is to write the extra RIFF chunks.

-d     Specifies that the WAVE data should be suppressed from the  out-
              put.  The default is to write the data.

-e     Specifies  that  the  WAVE  header should be suppressed from the
              output.  The default is to write the header.

-n     Specifies that the NULL pad byte at end of odd-sized data chunks
              should  be  suppressed from the output, if present.  The default
              is to write the NULL pad byte.  This option  only  applies  when
              WAVE data is also written, otherwise it is ignored.

cmp mode options
       -f fuzz
              Sets the "fuzz factor" for determining whether byte-shifted data
              is identical.  fuzz is a positive integer  that  represents  the
              maximum  number  of  allowable  byte  mismatches between the two
              files in the area searched by the -s option.  This allows one to
              check  for  differing  bytes between to files that (a) are byte-
              shifted and (b) contain at least one error in the area  searched
              by  the  -s  option.  The higher the fuzz factor, the longer the
              search takes, so set it  low  to  begin  with  (8  or  so),  and
              increase  it  in  small  steps if needed.  NOTE: this switch can
              only be used with the -s switch.

-l     List offsets and values of all differing bytes.  Output is simi-
              lar  to  'cmp  -l';  in particular, offsets are 1-based.  Can be
              used with the -s switch.

-s     Check to see whether the WAVE data contained in the input  files
              are  identical  modulo  a byte-shift.  Currently, this will only
              detect differences up to the first 529200 bytes (equal to 3 sec-
              onds of CD-quality data).  This can be used to compare WAVE data
              within a pre-burned file to WAVE data in the corresponding track
              ripped  from  the burned CD, which is useful if the ripped track
              came from a CD burned TAO, and thus might have a 2-second gap of
              silence  at the beginning.  This option can also help identify a
              CD burner/CD reader combined read/write offset.

cue mode options
       -c     Specifies that a simple CUE sheet should be output.  This is the
              default  action.   NOTE:  all input files must be CD-quality for
              CUE sheets to be valid.

-s     Specifies that  split  points  in  explicit  byte-offset  format
              should be output.

conv mode options
       NOTE:  file names for files created in conv mode will be named based on
       the input file name.  Specifically, if the input file  name  ends  with
       the  default  file  extension  for that file's format, then the default
       extension for the desired output format will replace it; otherwise,  it
       will be appended to it.  For example, for an output format of shn and a
       wav input file named 'file.wav',  the  converted  file  will  be  named
       'file.shn',  since  '.wav' is the default extension for the wav format.
       On the other hand, given the same situation above, but  with  an  input
       file   named   'file.wave',   the   converted   file   will   be  named
       'file.wave.shn', since '.wave' does not  match  '.wav'.   This  can  be
       overridden with the -a and/or -z global options described above.

Be  aware  that  some output format encoders (e.g. flac, ape) automati-
       cally strip headers and/or extra RIFF chunks, while others  (e.g.  sox)
       might  adjust  WAVE  data sizes in rare instances in order to align the
       audio on a block boundary.

-t     Read WAVE data from the terminal.

info mode options
       This mode doesn't support any additional options.

strip mode options
       NOTE: file names for files created in strip mode will be based  on  the
       input  file  name  with  the string '-stripped' appended to it, and the
       extension will be the default extension of the output file format.  For
       example,  with  an  output  file format of wav the file 'bar.shn' would
       become 'bar-stripped.wav'.  This can be overridden with the  -a  and/or
       -z global options described above.

Be  aware  that  some output format encoders (e.g. flac, ape) automati-
       cally strip headers and/or extra RIFF chunks, while others  (e.g.  sox)
       might  adjust  WAVE  data sizes in rare instances in order to align the
       audio on a block boundary.

-c     Specifies that extra RIFF chunks should not  be  stripped.   The
              default  is  to  remove  everything that appears after the first
              data chunk.

-e     Specifies that WAVE headers should not be made  canonical.   The
              default is to canonicalize headers.

gen mode options
       NOTE:  file  names  for files created in gen mode will be prefixed with
       'silence.', and the extension will be the default extension of the out-
       put  file  format.   For example, with an output file format of wav the
       generated file would become 'silence.wav'.  This can be overridden with
       the -a and/or -z global options described above.

-l len Generate  files  containing  len amount of silence.  len must be
              given in bytes, m:ss, m:ss.ff or m:ss.nnn format.

trim mode options
       NOTE: file names for files created in trim mode will be  based  on  the
       input  file  name  with  the  string '-trimmed' appended to it, and the
       extension will be the default extension of the output file format.  For
       example,  with  an  output  file format of shn the file 'foo.wav' would
       become 'foo-trimmed.shn'.  This can be overridden with the -a and/or -z

-b     Only trim silence from the beginning of files

-e     Only trim silence from the end of files

ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
       ST_DEBUG
              If set, shntool will print debugging information.  This is anal-
              ogous to the -D global option, with the exception that debugging
              is  enabled  immediately,  instead  of  when the command-line is
              parsed.

ST_<FORMAT>_DEC
              Specify input file format  decoder  and/or  arguments.   Replace
              <FORMAT>  with  the format you wish to modify, e.g.  ST_SHN_DEC.
              The format of this  variable  is  analagous  to  the  -i  global
              option,  except  that the initial format is not included.  Exam-
              ples:

ST_SHN_DEC='shorten-2.3b'

ST_SHN_DEC='shorten -x -d 2048 %f -'

ST_<FORMAT>_ENC
              Specify output file format extension, encoder and/or  arguments.
              Replace  <FORMAT>  with  the  format  you  wish  to modify, e.g.
              ST_SHN_ENC.  The format of this variable is analagous to the  -o
              global  option,  except that the initial format is not included.
              Examples:

ST_SHN_ENC='shorten -v2 - %f'

ST_FLAC_ENC='flake - %f'

ST_AIFF_ENC='ext=aif'

ST_CUST_ENC='ext=mp3 lame --quiet - %f'

Note that command-line options take precedence over any of these  envi-
       ronment variables.

EXIT STATUS
       Generally  speaking,  shntool will exit with status 0 upon success, and
       status 1 if it encounters an error.  The only  exception  is  when  the
       'quit'  option  is selected from within the interactive file reordering
       menu, in which case the exist status will be 255.

NOTES
       shntool is a misnomer, since it processes WAVE data, not shorten  data.
       The  name is a holdover from its early days as 'shnlen', a program cre-
       ated specifically to extract information about WAVE data stored  within
       .shn files.

Aliases  for  shntool are prefixed with 'shn' instead of 'wav' to avoid
       possible collisions with existing programs.

AUTHOR
       Jason Jordan <shnutils at freeshell dot org>

Please send all bug reports to the above address.

The   latest   version   of   shntool   can   always   be   found    at
       <http://www.etree.org/shnutils/> or <http://shnutils.freeshell.org/>.

COPYRIGHT
       Copyright (C) 2000-2007 Jason Jordan

This  is  free  software.   You may redistribute copies of it under the
       terms      of      the      GNU      General       Public       License
       <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.   There  is NO WARRANTY, to the
       extent permitted by law.

REVISION
       $Id: shntool.1,v 1.109 2006/12/29 17:54:41 jason Exp $

shntool 3.0.0                    January 2007                       SHNTOOL(1)

Quote:
Old 2020-02-07, 10:09 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Checksums Demystified (.st5, .ffp and .md5), 2006-02-09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five View Post
TTD Requirements:
SHN/APE: .st5 fingerprints posted in announce thread, should also be included with the show. Since SHN format is not capable of self-testing, some form of checksums must be included.
FLAC: .st5/.ffp fingerprints posted in announce thread, should also be included with the show.
DVD: .md5 checksums posted in announce thread and included with the show.

Checksums (.st5, .ffp and .md5)

Checksums are used for the purpose of verifying the integrity and identity of a digital copy of audio. There are many kinds of checksums but only a few that are commonly used by music traders:

.md5 wholefile checksum. verifies that files are identical in every single way, and is therefore sensitive to compression setting, file format et al.

.st5 aka SHNtool md5. this is a checksum taken from the decompressed audio only. the advantage to this is that it works with any lossless codec at any compression setting. This is the preferred checksum type to be included with FLAC, SHN or APE files.

.ffp aka FLAC fingerprints. These checksums are virtually identical to .st5. some differences are explained below, under "Verifying a checksum file" and "Creating a .ffp file".

For audio, I highly recommend using FLAC and including .st5 and .ffp no wholefile .md5 necessary.

For Mac use xAct. Tutorials here:
Making ShnTool md5s using xACT
http://u2lynne.sandsmuseum.com/checksums.html

For PC use TLH:
http://tlh.easytree.org/

TLH checksums tutorial

Testing lossless files:

This function runs a simple test to see if the files will decode properly.

1. Go to Test encoded files > Add

2. Use Files of type to select the lossless file type.

3. Select all and hit open.

[image missing]

4. Check that the information displayed in the list is correct.

5. Press Test

6. The result will take a few minutes to display.

[image missing]

Verifying a checksum file:

TLH can verify .st5, .ffp and .md5 files. You can simply double-click the checksum file to begin testing, or:

1. Go to Verify checksum file > Add

2. Use Files of type to select checksum type. Load the checksum file.

3. Press Test.

4. This will take a few minutes.

ffp compares the checksums in the FLAC header without checking the audio.

[image missing] [image missing] [image missing]

.md5 checks for any change whatsoever in the whole file (useful for DVD).

.st5 checks the decompressed audio only.

[image missing] [image missing]

md5 for DVD cannot find the files, what do I do?

To verify a playable video DVD with checksums which are on your hd, generate md5 checksums (see below) directly from the DVD and then test those against the files which are on your hd.

Another problem that sometimes occurs is that the paths stored in the .md5 file do not tell TLH to look inside the VIDEO_TS folder. So if the .md5 file for your DVD looks like this:

Code:
8d50cba158b40a75dd32cada8964aef7 *VIDEO_TS.BUP
8d50cba158b40a75dd32cada8964aef7 *VIDEO_TS.IFO
e40bd45c55f783d519c2a5c9aa088e98 *VIDEO_TS.VOB
e11aaf0c14501bbf15d776a34218c205 *VTS_01_0.BUP
e11aaf0c14501bbf15d776a34218c205 *VTS_01_0.IFO
da29301176f55de40d79be5cba560d06 *VTS_01_0.VOB
99ba41ff0fec88e3def109b6cb824dcb *VTS_01_1.VOB
6c20fa2d2232106310d61dce30cd3e29 *VTS_01_2.VOB
you should (a) make a backup of the original .md5 then (b) add VIDEO_TS/ to the path (open, edit & save using notepad), and test again. The modified .md5 file for the example posted above would look like this:

Code:
8d50cba158b40a75dd32cada8964aef7 *VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.BUP
8d50cba158b40a75dd32cada8964aef7 *VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO
e40bd45c55f783d519c2a5c9aa088e98 *VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.VOB
e11aaf0c14501bbf15d776a34218c205 *VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.BUP
e11aaf0c14501bbf15d776a34218c205 *VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.IFO
da29301176f55de40d79be5cba560d06 *VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.VOB
99ba41ff0fec88e3def109b6cb824dcb *VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB
6c20fa2d2232106310d61dce30cd3e29 *VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_2.VOB
Be very careful not to alter the 32-digit checksums or filenames, just add "VIDEO_TS/" (no quotes) as above.

Advanced: Another possibility is to burn a standalone-playable data DVD which contains info, artwork (if any) and .md5 checksums inside a folder called EXTRAS_TS. To do this, create three folders in your compilation:

AUDIO_TS
EXTRAS_TS
VIDEO_TS

The VIDEO_TS folder contains the obvious, the AUDIO_TS folder must be there and remain absolutely empty, and the EXTRAS_TS with the art/info/checksums inside. When the .md5 file is placed inside of an EXTRAS_TS folder, the path must be formatted as:

Code:
8d50cba158b40a75dd32cada8964aef7 *../VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.BUP
8d50cba158b40a75dd32cada8964aef7 *../VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO
e40bd45c55f783d519c2a5c9aa088e98 *../VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.VOB
e11aaf0c14501bbf15d776a34218c205 *../VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.BUP
e11aaf0c14501bbf15d776a34218c205 *../VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.IFO
da29301176f55de40d79be5cba560d06 *../VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.VOB
99ba41ff0fec88e3def109b6cb824dcb *../VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB
6c20fa2d2232106310d61dce30cd3e29 *../VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_2.VOB
If you wish you can substitute \ for /. The end result is a DVD which is playable in most standalones & also includes all the stuff which is normally included in a trade. Another big advantage is that you can double-click the .md5 which is inside the EXTRAS_TS folder and TLH will test all of the files on that DVD. Just be very careful that you get everything correct the same way I explained it above or it will not work.

thanks to fatoldpig and yoho for suggesting this stuff!

Running a len (length) check:

This gives some helpful details about the set's compatability with audio cdr format. This is primarily used to check for SBEs (Sector Boundary Errors), and that the files are 16bit/44.1kHz.

For more detailed information about the meaning of the data, check here:
https://web.archive.org/web/20070114...oc/shntool.txt

1. Go to Audio file Details > Add

2. Use Files of type to select the lossless file type.

3. Select all and hit open.

[image missing]

4. Check that the information displayed in the list is correct.

5. Press Show details

[image missing]

6. Copy and paste into your info .txt file.

Code:
    length     expanded size   cdr  WAVE problems filename
     2:15.26       23875196    ---   --   ---xx   gl2005-03-12t01.flac
     5:22.52       56923148    ---   --   ---xx   gl2005-03-12t02.flac
     4:14.46       44913836    ---   --   ---xx   gl2005-03-12t03.flac
     6:17.55       66632204    ---   --   ---xx   gl2005-03-12t04.flac
     3:40.49       38923292    ---   --   ---xx   gl2005-03-12t05.flac
     2:03.55       21826604    ---   --   ---xx   gl2005-03-12t06.flac
    23:54.58      253094280 B                     (totals for 6 files, 0.4980 overall compression ratio)

Creating a .st5 file:

Test the files and run a len check before you do this.

st5 is a new name for something known as a SHNtool md5. it is a checksum for verifying only decompressed audio from a lossless file. .st5 is identical to .ffp except formatting of the text.

1. Go to Create checksum file > Browse

2. Select the folder containing the lossless files you want to fingerprint. Press Add use Files of type to change the correct format. Select all the files you want to fingerprint and press Open

3. From the dropdown menu on the right, select md5 fp then hit Create

[image missing]

4. The checksums will take a few minutes to calculate.

[image missing]

5. Save your .st5 to the same folder.

[image missing]

Code:
c0437a74a414351fb1fb4e4cece99e06  [shntool]  gl2005-03-12t01.flac
1822d349a6be042a49af9bb0085e093c  [shntool]  gl2005-03-12t02.flac
5028343d2820679c23a99cc0e2f6e1f5  [shntool]  gl2005-03-12t03.flac
c485a617b3af2e4267753d334b709fa2  [shntool]  gl2005-03-12t04.flac
fd6e94f4c89685e8b41e4df2c073fb48  [shntool]  gl2005-03-12t05.flac
2c3d244df2a8cb4aab370e26e4f3f393  [shntool]  gl2005-03-12t06.flac
Creating a .ffp file:

Test the files and run a len check before you do this.

1. Go to Create checksum file > Browse

2. Select the folder containing the FLACs you want to fingerprint. Press Add use Files of type to change format to FLAC. Select all the files you want to fingerprint and press Open

3. From the dropdown menu on the right, select flac fp then hit Create

[image missing]

4. Since the ffp checksums were calculated during initial coding they can be very quickly extracted from the headers and put into a list. FLAC files should also be tested to make sure they can be decoded properly (see "Testing lossless files" above).

[image missing]

5. Save your .ffp to the same folder.

[image missing]

ffp is generated by FLAC itself. during encoding a checksum is generated from the decoded audio only for each file and stored in the header. the checksums are the same as a .st5 (aka SHNtool md5) just the formatting of the .ffp is slightly different.

Code:
gl2005-03-12t01.flac:c0437a74a414351fb1fb4e4cece99e06
gl2005-03-12t02.flac:1822d349a6be042a49af9bb0085e093c
gl2005-03-12t03.flac:5028343d2820679c23a99cc0e2f6e1f5
gl2005-03-12t04.flac:c485a617b3af2e4267753d334b709fa2
gl2005-03-12t05.flac:fd6e94f4c89685e8b41e4df2c073fb48
gl2005-03-12t06.flac:2c3d244df2a8cb4aab370e26e4f3f393
Creating a .md5 file for a DVD:

.md5 checksums are only used for video at TTD.

[image missing]

1. Go to Create checksum file tab.

2. Press Browse. Select the folder containing the VIDEO_TS folder of the DVD you want to create checksums for. It is best not to select the VIDEO_TS folder, but instead the folder which contains the artwork, info and VIDEO_TS folder.

3. Press Add then use Files of type to change format to all. Double-click on the VIDEO_TS folder, select all the files inside that folder then press Open

4. From the dropdown menu on the right, select md5 sig (default).

5. Review that the files and folder are all correct, then hit Create.

6. Save your .md5 to the folder which contains the artwork (if you have), info and VIDEO_TS folder and not inside the VIDEO_TS folder. In the example, you would want to save to a folder called 1971.09.09 Hampton.

Code:
8d50cba158b40a75dd32cada8964aef7 *VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.BUP
8d50cba158b40a75dd32cada8964aef7 *VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO
e40bd45c55f783d519c2a5c9aa088e98 *VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.VOB
e11aaf0c14501bbf15d776a34218c205 *VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.BUP
e11aaf0c14501bbf15d776a34218c205 *VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.IFO
da29301176f55de40d79be5cba560d06 *VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.VOB
99ba41ff0fec88e3def109b6cb824dcb *VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB
6c20fa2d2232106310d61dce30cd3e29 *VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_2.VOB

Quote:
Old 2020-02-07, 10:31 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

legacy Cool Edit Pro / Adobe Audition DC Offset Correction Tutorial 2005-07-10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five
first, make sure you open the whole show. 60mins or whatever, open the whole thing at once.

then here's what to do...

1. Select the right channel by double-clicking in the place shown in the picture.

[image missing]

2. Copy.

[image missing]

3. Create a new file. Make sure you get the settings exactly right as in the picture. select ok.

4. Paste.

[image missing]

5. It will convert the file to stereo!

[image missing]

6. Save a backup.

DC OFFSET Correction

Now another important thing I noticed looking at your screenshot is that the dc offset is incorrect. You can check the dc offset by going to analyze > statistics.

If it is not zero (or very very close), it is good to fix it. When the dc offset is incorrect, the wave is not symetrical. Try analyzing the statistics on some of your favorite officially released cds, you will see that the dc offset is zero! The sound will be a tiny bit better this way because your speakers can work better with a centred wave.

Also, it is best to take as few steps as possible when processing audio in any way. So, if you want to raise the volume and correct the dc offset at the same time, this is the shortest method:

1. Select all.

[image missing]

2. Go to Effects > Amplitude > Normalize. Be sure to normalize an entire show all at the same time, not each track one at a time! This is very important.

[image missing]

4. Set it to 98% and enable dc bias adjust.

[image missing]

this will boost the volume of the show to a safe level and at the same time. If you don't want to adjust the volume of the show, uncheck the box for "Normalize to"

[image missing]

alternatively, you can also correct the dc offset using Amplify. Either use the Normalization option or the Amplify option, but never both! Just one or the other. So to correct the dc offset using "Amplify", go to Effects > Amplitude > Amplify. In this case we are not going to amplify at all, just correct the dc offset. There is a preset for this on the right, called "center wave". Select it and press ok.

[image missing] [image missing]

5. Go to Analyze > Statistics again and verify that the dc offset is now zero (or very very close like 0.002 or something).

[image missing]

6. Save this.

Then you just have to cut the show on the sector boundaries. If you're not sure about how to do this, let me know I can show you how to do this correctly as well.

Work slowly and carefully, saving backups frequently.

Quote:
Old 2020-02-07, 10:41 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

foobar2000 tutorial, 2004-12-22
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDawg View Post
Easily edit your foobar2000 scripts

So, many people shy away from personally tweaking the display scripts in foobar2000 because it is somewhat difficult to read and interpret. Using this thread at HA for inspiration:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...showtopic=7191

I created a user-defined style for the excellent script editor Notepad++ (a free, open source text editor).

Simply download the Notepad++ program from sourceforge:
http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/about.php

Then check out my post at HA for instructions on how to setup the foobar2000 editing style:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...4&#entry261224

Now just copy the fb2k script into the Notepad++ window, edit it with the ease of colorcoded styles, and paste the result back into fb2k when you're done.

This will take some of the hassle out of tweaking the scripts. This level of customizability really is the heart and soul of foobar, and once people learn to start using scripts to their advantage, the days of Winamp will continue to dwindle into obscurity.

Note that the xml style I created could use some tweaking, if you'd like, and Notepad++ has the ability to change colors and styles very easily. Feel free to use my style as a starting point to get things to look just how you want.

Quote:
Old 2020-02-07, 11:06 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

foobar2000 tutorial, 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDawg View Post
foobar2000: The ultimate Windows audio file player

To make sure you have the most functional and up-to-date version of foobar2000, head to the foobar 2000 blogsite and download the newest installer. For SHN support and a plethora of other plugins, download the Special Installer. For a list of extra addons you can install (it's as easy as dropping a .dll in the plugins folder), check out the foobar 2000 3rd Party Plugins Page

Note: You may become frustrated with the default playlist window as it's very dull. The special installer includes something called Columns UI as a replacement playlist window interface. I highly recommend using this as it is rich in customizability and viewing features. The screenshot below uses the Columns UI interface.

[image missing]

foobar2000 is the ultimate audio media player for the Windows platform. It has a rather utilitarian interface and lacks many of the resource-sucking graphical features of it's competitors. The list of features that it does have, however, should make all of the commercial players out there embarassed. The open API license for foobar2000 permits users to create plugins for features that may be missing from the default installation, and thus the amount of features available for this player is only limited by the resourcefulness of it's userbase.

For lossless audio traders, this program is a godsend. Here's a list of the advantages this program has over any other media player out there:
  • Small footprint, runs smoothly on virtually any system.
  • Plain but simple, fully customizable interface.
  • Plays FLAC, SHN, APE, WAV, AIFF, MP3, OGG, AAC, etc, etc, etc.
  • Convenient masstagger feaute works as an id3, id3v2, Vorbis, and APE tagging utility.
  • Customizable user interface allows the viewing or sorting by of any tag, standard or non-standard.
  • Fully customizable database feature allows you to setup your own way of viewing your files.
  • Open API with a huge community of developers creating helpful plugins.
  • Plays everything you need, right "out of the box", without having difficult plugins to install.
  • Dynamic creation of seektables for SHN files without them. Never worry about seeking again!
  • (the list goes on and on!)
This program takes some persistence to get the hang of, but don't give up on it. Once you get used to the interface, play with some of the third party plugins, and realize just how powerful customizable this program is, you'll never go back. If you need help with setting this program up or want some help writing custom display strings, check out the hydrogenaudio.org official foobar2000 forums. If you need further assistance with this program, please don't hesitate to email me.

And now, for a gratuitous screenshot of the fully customizable music database browser:

[image missing]

Quote:
Old 2020-02-07, 11:15 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Quick-Par tutorial, 2004
Quote:
Using Quick-Par to Recover Partially Corrupted Files

Quick-Par is an open-source program that employs the par2 algorithm to create recovery volumes which can be used to recreate partially corrupted or missing files from a set. I use it to make backup volumes for files burned to data DVDs so that screatched or dirty discs can be recreated using only part of the missing files. It is also useful when downloading music or video from Usenet to form files with missing messages.

To download Quick-Par or read about what the technology is and how it works, head to the Quick-Par Official Site.

Quote:
Old 2020-02-07, 11:25 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Newsgroups tutorial, 2004
Quote:
Usenet/Newsgroup Downloading

Usenet (aka newsgroups), like FTP, is an older way of sharing all manner of files over the internet. It has largely been replaced by BitTorrent as the preferred means of broadband fileswapping, but there are still some nice gems to be found on various usenet servers. I personally still regularly keep watch on alt.binaries.music.shn.dylan, where all of the new Dylan shows and (when he's not touring) many older ones as well can be found daily.

The major hindrance to usenet has always been the sporadic access that many people have to good servers. Traditionally, newsgroups were only meant to contain text and small attachments. A way of encoding files so that several thousands of text messages could be combined to form a single file was developed to work around this limitation. It is possible to upload files of virtually unlimited size. However, if even a single message of those thousands is lost, the file will be unable to be recreated. Since many Newsgroup servers begin to drop messages after several days, the durability of usenet uploads is rather poor. Sometimes, for large downloads, messages will begin being dropped before the final set has even been uploaded.

Some ISPs provide access to usenet as part of their service, so it is possible that you already can use them. For those who don't, you will need to seek out a third-party service. All of the ones that provide decent retention, which you will need to get larger files, will require a periodic fee.

This page is not intended as a tutorial on how to use Newsgroups/usenet to obtain files. There is a lot of information on the subject scattered throughout the web, and I do not intend to recreate the wheel. Be warned that this method is not recommended for people who are computer-illiterate or don't have the tenacity to struggle through learning several new software packages and techniques. For those who wish to pursue this avenue, here are some links to software packages that will help you get rolling.
  • Slyck's Guide to the Newsgroups - A thorough guide to understanding binaries downloading through usenet, finding the right host service, and learning about the various filetypes you are likely to come across. Highly recommended reading for anyone interested in getting into usenet trading.
  • Grab-It Binary usenet Reader - A free, simple, and streamlined program for easily grabbing binary files from usenet. It is updated regularly, and just works with no added fees or unneeded widgets. I have been using it for years, and highly recommend people to switch over to this for simple usenet downloading.
  • Quick-Par - An open-source program that can be used to make recovery volumes using the Par2 algorithm. Allows for recreation of partial file sets even when it is unknown which file or part will be missing.
  • 7-Zip - An open-source program that can be used to decode all common file compression formats. Many people use WinRAR for decoding the .rar archives you frequently find on usenet servers, but I perfer this simpler, free, open-source counterpart. Also works with .zip, .tar, .cab, .7z, .gz, and others.

Quote:

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble