The Traders' Den  

  The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble
 

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #331  
Old 2013-08-03, 11:20 AM
CAF CAF is offline
438.26 GB/360.66 GB/0.82
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Re: What's with Hungercity again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsocket View Post
First post here. Big fan of TTD but also a big fan of HC. Lots of stuff there you don't find anywhere else, including a ton of great Beatles A&V (banned elsewhere).

I have donated to HC in the past but refuse to stain myself ever again with PP so I have to do it through a third party who doesn't have any brains or self-respect and thinks PP is the salvation of all humanity. Didn't donate during this crisis yet because I can't reach Stain Man ATM but I plan to donate again ASAP. I wish BT operators could work with Google Wallet, Amazon Payments, BitCoin, etc. ... anything but PP! I'd mail cash if there was a way to get it to you.

I have had a number of dealings with ShaReeF and he has been the epitome of professionalism, courtesy, and cooperation. Rather than push for a donation in our PMs, he told me not to sweat it. Given those encounters, I find it very hard to believe that there's anything improper taking place. No argument from me that better communication from him would help the public perception, but as someone who used to be on call to put radio stations back on the air after transmitter failures (some catastrophic), I know what a PITA it is when people keep asking "are we almost there yet?". It will be done just as soon as it can be done and not a second sooner. I'm willing to cut him a lot of slack because he's done far more for the HC community than most of us have ever done for him and I am grateful to him and everyone else who runs a BT tracker (Lynne - thanks much for the great job (ZERO OUTAGES) you do with TTD!).

I have no inside info about WTF may be going on at HC but my sense is that he's doing what he can to make it work. There have been some changes in page availability over the past couple of days that lead me to belive something is afoot. If it never resurfaces for any reason we'll all be worse off, so I hope that's not the case. But I needed to put in a good word for ShaReeF as a good guy who's done good work in the past and wish him well in this bad situation.

Back to the shadows for me.
All great points. I hope they re-surface soon.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #332  
Old 2013-08-03, 01:48 PM
Bugs
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---
 
Re: What's with Hungercity again?

The "changes in page availability" were due to an outage at HostGator's data center in Provo, Utah. (The outage shut down my website and email, too, which is the only reason I know or would have known this.) I ought to find a new hobby horse, but I'm compelled to mention a few things about HostGator (which hosts HungerCity). A colleague of mine, whom I shall call HD (for those are her initials), also uses HG. When the bank issued HD a new card, she forgot to update her HG account, and, when HG went to automatically withdraw funds from her account, HG could not withdraw the funds that they were owed. HG shut HD down. During this shutdown, her email did not work, and she did not have the capacity to post a message on her website explaining why it was down. HD did not have to pay a reconnection fee, and, once she corrected her billing information and pointed out the correction to HG, her site was back up all but instantly (and, as an aside that is entirely unrelated to HD (but not to HC), HG, to the best of my knowledge, does not have a plan that costs $645 per month).

I'm no internet expert. I understand that there may be explanations that mitigate all of the observations that I have noted above. I know that this is a loaded post that is leading in its implications. I was a happy HC citizen, and I donated each month without exception and I didn't mind doing it. As a leech with nothing else to offer, the cost of an album or two every four weeks or so was not too big of a price to pay for access to such a great Dylan bootleg archive. I'm not upset about the money, but I don't like it when people lie to me (especially in order to get money). That said, it seems likely from his front page missives asking after donations that English is not Shareef's first language, and he very well may have misspoken without deliberate intent to deceive. But, even if that is the case, it is a bad business practice.

I know that there are a lot of passionate HC supporters here, and I'm sure that they have valid arguments as to why HC is not yet back online. More power to HC's owner and to them. These are just my two pennies, and you should only take them for what they are worth.

B.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #333  
Old 2013-08-03, 02:43 PM
jameskg's Avatar
jameskg jameskg is offline
audio moderator
TTD Staff
83.16 GB/882.03 GB/10.61
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: USA
Re: What's with Hungercity again?

that is a good post

thank you

welcome to TTD
__________________
"There are some of these recordings where it is just a whirring, and you cannot hear the music. " - Jimmy Page, 2007 / JUL / 26
Firewall Help: your router | windows XP | more
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #334  
Old 2013-08-03, 07:43 PM
Bugs
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---
 
Re: What's with Hungercity again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post

welcome to TTD
Thank you.

I'm happy to be here.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #335  
Old 2013-08-08, 10:34 PM
JackDog's Avatar
JackDog JackDog is offline
World-Class Slack-Ass
484.29 GB/665.47 GB/1.37
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kansas
Question Re: What's with Hungercity again?

I just checked HC and it went to a GoDaddy page with the domain name for sale, so does that mean that it's done for good?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #336  
Old 2013-08-09, 07:14 AM
jameskg's Avatar
jameskg jameskg is offline
audio moderator
TTD Staff
83.16 GB/882.03 GB/10.61
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: USA
Re: What's with Hungercity again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDog View Post
I just checked HC and it went to a GoDaddy page with the domain name for sale, so does that mean that it's done for good?
There's probably still time to donate.
__________________
"There are some of these recordings where it is just a whirring, and you cannot hear the music. " - Jimmy Page, 2007 / JUL / 26
Firewall Help: your router | windows XP | more
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #337  
Old 2013-08-09, 08:01 AM
direwolf-pgh's Avatar
direwolf-pgh direwolf-pgh is offline
winning !!
660.82 GB/1.29 TB/2.00
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: down in the basement
Re: What's with Hungercity again?

YouTube Video
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #338  
Old 2013-08-09, 08:09 AM
direwolf-pgh's Avatar
direwolf-pgh direwolf-pgh is offline
winning !!
660.82 GB/1.29 TB/2.00
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: down in the basement
Re: What's with Hungercity again?

YouTube Video
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #339  
Old 2013-08-09, 08:13 AM
JackDog's Avatar
JackDog JackDog is offline
World-Class Slack-Ass
484.29 GB/665.47 GB/1.37
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kansas
Thumbs up Re: What's with Hungercity again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
There's probably still time to donate.
Sometimes the simplest jokes are the funniest.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #340  
Old 2013-08-09, 08:42 AM
rainydayman rainydayman is offline
51.20 GB/27.12 GB/0.53
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Re: What's with Hungercity again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsocket View Post
First post here. Big fan of TTD but also a big fan of HC. Lots of stuff there you don't find anywhere else, including a ton of great Beatles A&V (banned elsewhere).

I have donated to HC in the past but refuse to stain myself ever again with PP so I have to do it through a third party who doesn't have any brains or self-respect and thinks PP is the salvation of all humanity. Didn't donate during this crisis yet because I can't reach Stain Man ATM but I plan to donate again ASAP. I wish BT operators could work with Google Wallet, Amazon Payments, BitCoin, etc. ... anything but PP! I'd mail cash if there was a way to get it to you.

I have had a number of dealings with ShaReeF and he has been the epitome of professionalism, courtesy, and cooperation. Rather than push for a donation in our PMs, he told me not to sweat it. Given those encounters, I find it very hard to believe that there's anything improper taking place. No argument from me that better communication from him would help the public perception, but as someone who used to be on call to put radio stations back on the air after transmitter failures (some catastrophic), I know what a PITA it is when people keep asking "are we almost there yet?". It will be done just as soon as it can be done and not a second sooner. I'm willing to cut him a lot of slack because he's done far more for the HC community than most of us have ever done for him and I am grateful to him and everyone else who runs a BT tracker (Lynne - thanks much for the great job (ZERO OUTAGES) you do with TTD!).

I have no inside info about WTF may be going on at HC but my sense is that he's doing what he can to make it work. There have been some changes in page availability over the past couple of days that lead me to belive something is afoot. If it never resurfaces for any reason we'll all be worse off, so I hope that's not the case. But I needed to put in a good word for ShaReeF as a good guy who's done good work in the past and wish him well in this bad situation.

Back to the shadows for me.
I totally agree with you. Any other kind of public comment putting into question Shareef's proffesionalism is simply malicious.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #341  
Old 2013-08-09, 09:47 AM
jameskg's Avatar
jameskg jameskg is offline
audio moderator
TTD Staff
83.16 GB/882.03 GB/10.61
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: USA
Re: What's with Hungercity again?

nah, whatever the guy's past actions and rep, dangling the website, previously and currently funded by donations, over the heads of said donors and not allowing them to use it until they send more money is uncool.

Of course, he can do what he wants with the site but people don't have to continue to donate (and they obviously didn't).
__________________
"There are some of these recordings where it is just a whirring, and you cannot hear the music. " - Jimmy Page, 2007 / JUL / 26
Firewall Help: your router | windows XP | more
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #342  
Old 2013-08-10, 04:05 PM
Stranger09 Stranger09 is offline
63.18 GB/33.53 GB/0.53
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Re: What's with Hungercity again?

I too would like to speak up for ShaReef...as a reasonably frequent uploader to HC, albeit one where - like with any uploads I do - I hope to elicit uploads in return where possible, I contributed when I could, and he never pushed me over this.

I can't add much to the very recent positive posts apart from saying I agree with them and that I hope their positive tone proves correct.

Here's hoping.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #343  
Old 2013-08-11, 01:00 PM
LuvGlimmerTwins's Avatar
LuvGlimmerTwins LuvGlimmerTwins is offline
Rolling Stones Fanatic
534.07 GB/1.47 TB/2.82
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: USA
Thumbs up Re: What's with Hungercity again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger09 View Post
I too would like to speak up for ShaReef...as a reasonably frequent uploader to HC, albeit one where - like with any uploads I do - I hope to elicit uploads in return where possible, I contributed when I could, and he never pushed me over this.

I can't add much to the very recent positive posts apart from saying I agree with them and that I hope their positive tone proves correct.

Here's hoping.
Thank you, Stranger09
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #344  
Old 2013-08-12, 07:01 AM
nutzrocker's Avatar
nutzrocker nutzrocker is offline
113.21 GB/119.47 GB/1.06
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Thumbs up Re: What's with Hungercity again?

Latest Update: -

http://thehcforum.com/hungercity/lastchance.html

HUNGERCITY UPDATE - 13TH AUGUST, 2013 (4:00PM EST)
AS THE DONATION PAGE CANNOT BE ACCESSED, PLEASE SEND ALL DONATIONS TO :
HUNGERCITY WILL BE UP AND RUNNING WITHIN DAYS!!!
PEACE & LOVE TO ALL!


- SHAREEF
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #345  
Old 2013-08-12, 07:25 AM
direwolf-pgh's Avatar
direwolf-pgh direwolf-pgh is offline
winning !!
660.82 GB/1.29 TB/2.00
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: down in the basement
Re: What's with Hungercity again?

interesting thread..
http://thehcforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=4687

dontations were sent / no update even the mods don't know whats up.
suckers.PNG
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Reply

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Similar Threads
Thread Forum Replies Last Post
trouble in hungercity - fabtrick Technobabble 64 2008-12-29 08:22 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forums


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:25 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - , TheTradersDen.org - All Rights Reserved - Hosted at QuickPacket
no new posts