PDA

View Full Version : Cassette copied from master ...

Luke_of_Mass
2012-07-17, 01:50 PM
Hi,

i'm new to this cassette-transferring business. usually i just get stuff in trades that is digital...so please forgive my ignorance.. but

I've acquires some tapes that were copied directly from the master cassettes... is this a second generation ? or first ? is it lossy? :hmm:

AAR.oner
2012-07-17, 03:00 PM
2nd gen cassette

and although there's some loss of quality when copying analogue-to-analogue, its not "lossy" in the sense the term is used in trading circles

as most are goin strictly digi, yer goin back to tapes...i like it!!! :thumbsup :lol:

Luke_of_Mass
2012-07-17, 04:48 PM
okay great thanks,

so while it does lose a tiny bit of quality in the copying process, it's not lossy as it is referred to in tarde circles.. does this mean it is acceptable here or only 1st gen stuff allowed?

Rock10
2012-07-17, 07:54 PM
Then what is 1st generation?

squareofnone
2012-07-17, 09:19 PM
Forget generation. It's too ambiguous a term because it means different things in different trading circles.

In your case it would be ANA(M) > ANA(1)

b00st
2012-07-17, 09:47 PM
most of the time i've seen the master as gen zero

Cassette Master (0) > Cassette (1)

first gen meaning one generation away from the master

Audioarchivist
2012-07-17, 09:59 PM
most of the time i've seen the master as gen zero

Cassette Master (0) > Cassette (1)

first gen meaning one generation away from the master

That's what I go by, as well. Masters are gen zero to me. A tape to tape copy is a 1st generation, a tape made from that tape is 2nd generation, etc. While certainly a tape to tape dub isn't as great as being able to digitize a master tape, it is not "lossy" - that's an expression that refers to digital compression like mp3's that kill your music to make small file sizes. Analog copying is lossless, although if those copies are done wrong, they won't sound great even though they're lossless per se...

dorrcoq
2012-07-18, 12:20 AM
Definitely agree - that's a 1st Gen

Igemo75
2012-07-18, 02:27 AM
Master > 1st gen > 2nd gen > 3rd gen > etc etc

Igemo75
2012-07-18, 02:38 AM
Lossy : after the analog media (reel-to-reel or cassette) has been transferred to a digital format (WAV or FLAC for example) some idiot may convert the FLAC files to the lossy format mp3 (mainly for HD space convenience : one song in mp3 is much "smaller" than the same one in native FLAC).

Problems might arise because it's possible to make FLAC files from mp3 material... only what's been lost in the FLAC-to-mp3 conversion will never be regained.

So once in a while we have torrents made from "lossy" FLAC files that FLAC files made from mp3. These "soiled" FLACs are usually found on the Net then shared here or on some other torrent sites by naive posters.

It's impossible to get lossy FLACs if you do the analog/digital transfer yourself...

Luke, I hope you diamonds in your vaults :booty:

pmonk
2012-07-18, 06:03 AM
2nd gen cassette

LOLZ that the technobabble mod doesn't even know how generation works :disbelief

Master>1st Gen>2nd Gen>3rd Gen>etc...

Rule does not apply to Zep tapes since all are 2nd gen>DAT

pmonk
2012-07-18, 06:05 AM
) some idiot may convert the FLAC files to the lossy format mp3 :

You mean some idiot who wants to listen to a recording on an ipod or some other mp3 only playing device?

Please think before making stupid opinionated comments!

AAR.oner
2012-07-18, 07:52 AM
LOLZ that the technobabble mod doesn't even know how generation works :disbelief

no i've always argued that the above is an inaccurate way of listing it...but you are undoubtedly right monk, carry on :rolleyes:

pmonk
2012-07-18, 08:13 AM

no i've always argued that the above is an inaccurate way of listing it...but you are undoubtedly right monk, carry on :rolleyes:

The fact that everyone else who replied in this thread thinks that is a 1st gen shows that you have no clue and too stubborn or stupid to admit it? Must be a Southern thing?

Where do I send my resume in order to become a mod in this place?

AAR.oner
2012-07-18, 08:31 AM
yes, cuz being southern makes you stupid and stubborn ...guess what, a "matrix" isn't a SBD/AUD mix either, nor does tweaking some EQ make a remaster...but bygones

and you can have the job, at twice the pay

Igemo75
2012-07-18, 08:57 AM
"ome idiot may convert the FLAC files to the lossy format mp3 (mainly for HD space convenience : one song in mp3 is much "smaller" than the same one in native FLAC)"

Addendum : they're entitled to do this as long as they don't spread the mp3 files to others.

Lossy music is like a venereal disease : it's a dirty thing you should keep to yourself. If you have it don't boast about it and try NOT to spread it to others if you're plagued with it...

pmonk
2012-07-18, 09:03 AM
and you can have the job, at twice the pay

I'm overqualified!

AAR.oner
2012-07-18, 10:56 AM
Lossy music is like a venereal disease

:lol4: :cheers:

I'm overqualified!

undoubtedly!

Five
2012-07-24, 03:20 PM
Lossy music is like a venereal disease : it's a dirty thing you should keep to yourself. If you have it don't boast about it and try NOT to spread it to others if you're plagued with it...
well put :thumbsup