PDA

View Full Version : need to know if this is lossy as my torrent was banned at dime

juxtiphi
2009-05-05, 06:35 PM
ripped this from a dvd with xmpeg to wav tracked it out and posted at dime banned due to lossy file so Im confused it doesnt look all that lossy to me.

second pic is a 2 second select

thanks guys

paddington
2009-05-05, 07:45 PM
always deselect before doing the screenshot to get rid of the white haze...

but no, I don't think that is lossy at all.

the squeal just below 16kHz is flyback noise from a CRT that got into the transfer, most likely...

what was their criteria for calling it lossy?

juxtiphi
2009-05-05, 08:45 PM
always deselect before doing the screenshot to get rid of the white haze...

but no, I don't think that is lossy at all.

the squeal just below 16kHz is flyback noise from a CRT that got into the transfer, most likely...

what was their criteria for calling it lossy?

hi james thanks for replying

I extracted the audio via xmpeg to wav looked good to me then I get this email,

Banned by site Mod Reason
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lossy.

According to the description, the audio files in this torrent are sourced from the AC3 audio in the DVD running at http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=246076.

Lossy files bloated to FLAC are not allowed on DIME. Only the original soundstream in its native format can be torrented

so what does that mean? I have never seen any torrents where the files were all ac3 or even one big file.

audio of this show was previously posted by ricola but it was incomplete and full of digi noise plus the wrong date but that fuck up is still running :mad: I did a lot of work to post that show especially on the sound enhanced version (some 30 hours) and what gets me is I have some shows from dime that turned out to be lossy but those torrents were never banned and they were not the only version available.

its almost not worth the effort to try and bring something good to people now a days as theres always some wanker pissin on the parade.

thanks and take care

paddington
2009-05-05, 09:18 PM
he may be assuming...

did the audio come from a DVD that was encoded with AC3? AC3 is lossy and much harder to detect on a spectrum analyzer than MP3 is.

or did it come from a different source?

juxtiphi
2009-05-05, 09:53 PM
he may be assuming...

did the audio come from a DVD that was encoded with AC3? AC3 is lossy and much harder to detect on a spectrum analyzer than MP3 is.

or did it come from a different source?

mine was sourced from this
PAL DVD
audio: DD 256kb/s 48khz
aspect ratio 4x3
bitrate 9578 kbps

total time approx. 60 minutes

VHS Proshot Master > stand-alone dvd recorder >DVDr >PC > dime

ricolas was sourced from this

SOURCE: POLISH TV BROADCAST>VHS MAXELL HIFI TAPE>Audio Rip>CDR>trade>EAC Secure>HDD>Flac Frontend, Level 5

his is not lossy but its way fugged up in other ways which in my mind means it shouldnt be running at all. its fine if you want it for your self but why post a crappy rip?

plus I didnt know that ac3 was lossy but why allow a video but not an audio recording from the same dvd? it doesnt make sense to me lossy shopud be lossy no? and not for nothin but mine is way better sounding.

paddington
2009-05-05, 10:30 PM
audio: DD 256kb/s 48khz

the DD is Dolby Digital - that's AC3. Though AC3 is a good codec, much better than standard rate mp3, he's right, it's lossy.
Sorry.

juxtiphi
2009-05-05, 10:40 PM
the DD is Dolby Digital - that's AC3. Though AC3 is a good codec, much better than standard rate mp3, he's right, it's lossy.
Sorry.

no prob james thanks for looking into it :)

juxtiphi
2009-05-10, 09:36 AM
this is the kind of crap im talking about

its a 2 second selection and this looks lossy to me but its allowed to live at dime.

Five
2009-05-12, 02:11 AM
^this last one is minidisc, which is an exception to the 'no lossy' policy...

ac3 is difficult to spot, main indication is the abrupt cutoff at 20kHz which can be seen in your shots... of course there's more going on below that line, but as james said its one of the better lossy codecs.

we don't allow ac3 rips here, either, & there's too much ac3 on DVDs to ban it outright in both the audo and video section. the audio should just stay with the video in our opinion!

so anyhow, this isn't a case of dime being overly strict (as some people have said they can be..), we would approach it the exact same way at this site.

deivas77
2009-05-18, 10:40 AM
Five
"SOURCE: POLISH TV BROADCAST>VHS MAXELL HIFI TAPE>Audio Rip>CDR>trade>EAC Secure>HDD>Flac Frontend, Level 5 "
I don`t understand... By you "this last one is minidisc". I don`t see MD in lineage...?

paddington
2009-05-18, 05:36 PM
Five
"SOURCE: POLISH TV BROADCAST>VHS MAXELL HIFI TAPE>Audio Rip>CDR>trade>EAC Secure>HDD>Flac Frontend, Level 5 "
I don`t understand... By you "this last one is minidisc". I don`t see MD in lineage...?

He means post #8 (last one before his), not the last one of the original group of posts. The lineage you have quote is from a few posts before that.

As for Post #8 - I'd say that could well be higher BR MP3 (just based on the rolloff freq being slightly higher (17k) than common MP3s which are usually 128-160 or so). Maybe 256k... 320 usually rolls off just before 20k...

Five, are you calling it MD because the rolloff is higher? Just curious as to what your tell-flag is.

deivas77
2009-05-19, 11:42 AM
I think, in post #8 is screenshot from "looks lossy to me but its allowed to live at dime", so I was right

paddington
2009-05-19, 12:19 PM
I think, in post #8 is screenshot from "looks lossy to me but its allowed to live at dime", so I was right

ok, you may be right, if you wish. No problem.

Five
2009-05-19, 12:42 PM
Five, are you calling it MD because the rolloff is higher? Just curious as to what your tell-flag is.
yeah, cutoff is higher and distinctive 'parapet' structure as seen here (http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8003) posts 3 & 5

quick guide to spotting ATRAC ;) ;)

paddington
2009-05-19, 01:00 PM
:thumbsup thx

juxtiphi
2009-05-27, 04:23 PM
Five

thats because five isnt talking about the jack bruce dvd thats related to the lineage you posted.