PDA

View Full Version : Trader's Little Helper

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

dukem
2008-01-20, 07:48 AM
Possible problem with Show audio file details...

Im seeing a sector boundary error but TLH is reporting NO ERRORS??

Its version 2.2.1

roann
2008-01-20, 10:56 AM
Possible problem with Show audio file details...

Im seeing a sector boundary error but TLH is reporting NO ERRORS??

Its version 2.2.1With build 147 the way TLH handles Show audio file details has changed (see changelog that comes with TLH): Show audio files details now "just" shows you what shntool puts out. Checking for SBEs has been completely removed (now this can be done using the new stand-alone page Check audio files for SBEs).

That's why a) the Fix SBEs button is missing, and b) there's no conclusion There were sector boundary errors or There were no sector boundary errors displayed. The conclusion you get now is No errors occured or There were errors. This tells you whether there were errors processing the source files (the interpretation of the shntool output is up to the user).

In your case shntool was able to process all files (i.e. to read those file parts needed to get all the information displayed) without any error, and so you got a No errors occured message.

Robert

Stano
2008-01-23, 01:05 PM
I've been searching this thread for information on how to fix this crash "list index out of bounds". I updated to the newest build this morning from a pretty old version. So far what I found is about WinAmp, and I've uninstalled WinAmp and still get the problem. I'm on XPSP2, .wav files created by Audition 2.0, CDWave to track, then TLH (a remarkable program by the way) to flac the files. But I still get the error, any suggestions?

roann
2008-01-24, 03:09 AM
I've been searching this thread for information on how to fix this crash "list index out of bounds". I updated to the newest build this morning from a pretty old version. So far what I found is about WinAmp, and I've uninstalled WinAmp and still get the problem. I'm on XPSP2, .wav files created by Audition 2.0, CDWave to track, then TLH (a remarkable program by the way) to flac the files. But I still get the error, any suggestions?Stano, a bit more details, please ... According to your post you wanted to encode wav files to flac format. Information needed:

1) Way used to add the wav files to TLH (Add button, Drag & Drop, or files context menu)?
1) Option Keep foreign metadata enabled or disabled?
2) Option Align on sector boundaries enabled or disabled? If enabled, fix or pad mode?
3) Any Post encoding tasks enabled? If yes, which one(s)?

Robert

germain
2008-01-25, 05:13 AM
This sounds like the exact problem I was having, the error message is the same. In my case files were added by the add button, sbe fix on, create st5 checksums post conversion. An error window opened for each file converted. I had to click off each error window before the create checksum function could begin

elcris
2008-01-25, 09:18 AM
thanks for the information.

roann
2008-01-25, 09:22 AM
This sounds like the exact problem I was having, the error message is the same. In my case files were added by the add button, sbe fix on, create st5 checksums post conversion. An error window opened for each file converted. I had to click off each error window before the create checksum function could beginWell, on my side encoding plus creating checksums is working perfectly.

:hmm: To be sure I did a lot of tests the last minutes. This was used/done:

1) WinXP SP2, TLH build 151 (latest release).
2) Wav files (total 7 files) were added via Add button.
3) Conversion to a) flac, b) shn format.
4) Option Align on sector boundaries enabled using a) fix mode, b) pad mode.
5) Encoded files to a) same folder as source, b) another folder.
6) Post encoding task Create checksum file with file type a) st5, b) md5.

Not a single error occured ....

Robert

Stano
2008-01-25, 11:57 AM
Sorry for the delay, the flac files seemed to be fine, I listened to the full show, they are posted at tapers.org (The Banjo Killers). I think there were over 300 OK's I went through before the 3 finger salute. They came up as fast as I could close them out.

1) Way used to add the wav files to TLH (Add button, Drag & Drop, or files context menu)?
I did it 2 ways, drug the files into the app, and also by clicking Add and selecting the wav files from the Select Files screen

2) Option Keep foreign metadata enabled or disabled?
Disabled

3) Option Align on sector boundaries enabled or disabled? If enabled, fix or pad mode?

Enabled with FIX selected and encode into a different directory

The only one was to create CheckSum and it was .ffp

roann
2008-01-25, 12:24 PM
Sorry for the delay, the flac files seemed to be fine, I listened to the full show, they are posted at tapers.org (The Banjo Killers). I think there were over 300 OK's I went through before the 3 finger salute. They came up as fast as I could close them out.

I did it 2 ways, drug the files into the app, and also by clicking Add and selecting the wav files from the Select Files screen

2) Option Keep foreign metadata enabled or disabled?
Disabled

3) Option Align on sector boundaries enabled or disabled? If enabled, fix or pad mode?

Enabled with FIX selected and encode into a different directory

The only one was to create CheckSum and it was .ffpAs I just answered to germain's post (see above yours), I did a lot of tests (using the latest v2.2.1.151), and each time the encoding section worked perfectly. As long as there are no more details so I'm able to reproduce an error on my side I can't do anything.

Robert

roann
2008-01-28, 07:04 AM
TLH version 2.2.2 (build 152) has been released. It only fixes a couple of bugs, so there aren't any new or enhanced features. Except one bug that crashes processing when checking a torrent bigger than 2 GB all bugs are minor ones "just" causing wrong statistics in some cases. For details see the changelog that comes with TLH.

Robert

Patty Mac
2008-02-07, 09:56 PM
Thanks for your continued diligent work on this project. I can't tell you how many times its saved my ass. :lol4::clap:

wadeww
2008-02-10, 11:46 AM
This is great. Thank you. I have been trying to get mkw to install on vista for a month. This works so smooth. Thank you.

datdork
2008-02-15, 01:03 AM
first of all thanks for such a great program! and second forgive me if this has been brought up. I scanned the last few pages and saw nothing about it.

with the last two versions I've noticed a few things. well one in particular. when you click on a md5 or ffp it opens TLH but the option to verify doesn't come up (grayed out). I know you can open TLH and load the file to verify but it's much easier and it's a habit to just click on the md5 or ffp.

one faster way I've gotten around opening and pointing it to the checksum is when I click on the md5/ffp I hit "create checksum" since verify is grayed out. that way I'm in the folder already. then I change to verify and again I'm in the correct folder. this works but is far from perfect and clicking the file should give the option to verify as it did in older versions and as it does (automaticaly) in mkwact etc.

roann
2008-02-15, 02:31 AM
with the last two versions I've noticed a few things. well one in particular. when you click on a md5 or ffp it opens TLH but the option to verify doesn't come up (grayed out). I know you can open TLH and load the file to verify but it's much easier and it's a habit to just click on the md5 or ffp.

one faster way I've gotten around opening and pointing it to the checksum is when I click on the md5/ffp I hit "create checksum" since verify is grayed out. that way I'm in the folder already. then I change to verify and again I'm in the correct folder. this works but is far from perfect and clicking the file should give the option to verify as it did in older versions and as it does (automaticaly) in mkwact etc.What nonsense, the way TLH handles loading a checksum file wasn't changed at all! Newer releases work the same way older ones do: If you double-click on a checksum file TLH will be opened with that file ready to verify. There was/is no option you have to choose, even if you select multiple checksum files and use the files context menu to add them to TLH.

This all works on the condition that during setup you have chosen the option to integrate TLH into Windows Explorer so supported checksum file extensions are associated with TLH. If you didn't have done that or if some other programs has overwritten the registry settings you may restore the settings via Options > Restore shell integration.

FYI: If you set the option Start verifying automatically after adding files on the Verify checksum files page in the Preferences dialog TLH automatically will start verifying the file(s) loaded as it does in mkwACT.

Robert

datdork
2008-02-15, 12:45 PM

one faster way I've gotten around opening and pointing it to the checksum is when I click on the md5/ffp I hit "create checksum" since verify is grayed out. that way I'm in the folder already. then I change to verify and again I'm in the correct folder. this works but is far from perfect and clicking the file should give the option to verify as it did in older versions and as it does (automaticaly) in mkwact etc.What nonsense, the way TLH handles loading a checksum file wasn't changed at all! Newer releases work the same way older ones do: If you double-click on a checksum file TLH will be opened with that file ready to verify. There was/is no option you have to choose, even if you select multiple checksum files and use the files context menu to add them to TLH.

This all works on the condition that during setup you have chosen the option to integrate TLH into Windows Explorer so supported checksum file extensions are associated with TLH. If you didn't have done that or if some other programs has overwritten the registry settings you may restore the settings via Options > Restore shell integration.

FYI: If you set the option Start verifying automatically after adding files on the Verify checksum files page in the Preferences dialog TLH automatically will start verifying the file(s) loaded as it does in mkwACT.

Robert

not nonsense :rolleyes: this is what was happening to me with the last two versions! I didn't un check anything upon install either. I tried every thing I could think of under options including the "restore shell integration" but it was grayed out as well. so I uninstalled and reinstalled making sure the explorer box was checked and it's fine now. did that a couple times before with the same results as above but it worked this time.

germain
2008-02-21, 09:16 PM
I'm having trouble verifying files I just created with TLH. Here's the process:
Shn - st5 generated > flac -st5 generated & matched to shn ft5 > fixed sbe errors - fixed flac created - fixed st5 generated > files tagged. When attempting to verify, the error message "these files can not be opened or do not exist" is generated. I generated an ffp and attempted to verify and got the same message. TLH has no problem decoding the files back to wav without error. This has happened a couple of times before and I deleted the flac st5 and generated another one and all was well. Not this time. Is there any way to avoid decoding back to wav and recreating the flac files. I really don't want to have to tag the files again.

roann
2008-02-22, 02:10 AM
I'm having trouble verifying files I just created with TLH. Here's the process:
Shn - st5 generated > flac -st5 generated & matched to shn ft5 > fixed sbe errors - fixed flac created - fixed st5 generated > files tagged. When attempting to verify, the error message "these files can not be opened or do not exist" is generated. I generated an ffp and attempted to verify and got the same message. TLH has no problem decoding the files back to wav without error. This has happened a couple of times before and I deleted the flac st5 and generated another one and all was well. Not this time.:hmm: ... You have to save a checksum file to the folder that was chosen as root folder in TLH, of course. Assuming you did that here are a couple of questions:

1) shn, .st5 generated: can the shn .st5 file be verified?
2) shn > flac, .st5 generated: can the flac .st5 be verified?
3) Maybe it's just a misunderstanding but what's this "fixed sbe errors - fixed flac created"? Fixing SBEs does already create fixed files.
4) SBEs fixed, no tagging, .st5 generated: can the fixed flac .st5 be verified?
5) Do the tagged files have the same names as before tagging?

Is there any way to avoid decoding back to wav and recreating the flac files. I really don't want to have to tag the files again.So shn > wav > flac > fix SBEs > create .st5 > tag > verify .st5 works???

Robert

germain
2008-02-22, 07:49 PM
Robert,
I think you've hit upon a thing or two.

When I get the shn files, I verify with the md5s they are packaged with and then create the shn st5s. Generally, I don't verify the shn st5s.

I then use the convert format function to convert to flac and generate a flac st5 which i match to the shn st5s. I don' verify the flac st5s until after I tag the files.

This particular show had sbe errors which I ran through the fix sbe errors process, which of course created new flac files. I then created a new st5.

As I began to tag the files, I noticed the tracking was not in the correct sequence. I had to go in a rename most files to get them in the correct order. (They have names like d2t07) I ran a new st5 afterwards. The checksums stayed the same, just the order was altered.

After I finished tagging I attempted to verify the latest st5 with no success. I deleted that st5 and created a new one. There was no change in checksums and the verification again failed to be able to open the files.

I hope this helps.

Germain

roann
2008-02-22, 10:39 PM
Germain, you didn't answer my questions, unfortunately. So I still don't know where to start. Here is what I need to know ...

When I get the shn files, I verify with the md5s they are packaged with and then create the shn st5s. Generally, I don't verify the shn st5s.Can those st5 checksums of the shn file set be verified?

I then use the convert format function to convert to flac and generate a flac st5 which i match to the shn st5s. I don' verify the flac st5s until after I tag the files.Can those st5 checksums of the flac file set be verified?

This particular show had sbe errors which I ran through the fix sbe errors process, which of course created new flac files. I then created a new st5.Can those st5 checksums of the fixed flac file set be verified?

As I began to tag the files, I noticed the tracking was not in the correct sequence. I had to go in a rename most files to get them in the correct order. (They have names like d2t07) I ran a new st5 afterwards. The checksums stayed the same, just the order was altered.Can those st5 checksums of the fixed and renamed flac file set be verified?

After I finished tagging I attempted to verify the latest st5 with no success. I deleted that st5 and created a new one. There was no change in checksums and the verification again failed to be able to open the files.Did you save the checksum file to that folder that was the root folder when creating the checksums?

Only if all answers are "yes": What do you use for tagging? Could you upload the shortest tagged file (Rapidshare, for example) or send it via email?

Robert

germain
2008-02-23, 06:44 AM
Robert,
Thanks for your reply.

-I went back and unzipped the shn files and placed them into a separate folder. Within that folder are the shn files, the md5 file, a txt file and the original zip folder.
-Next, I verified with the md5s packaged with the files. No problem.
-I then created an st5 and saved it to the folder with the shn files. I used the "create checksum" tab, browsed to the correct folder and opened it, selected shn as the file type, selceted "select all", then "add"-"OK" and selected "create". The checksums were successfully created.
-I tried to verify the st5s, but TLH gave the error message "files could not be opened or do not exist".

I'm not exactly sure what you are referring to when you asked, "Did you save the checksum file to that folder that was the root folder when creating the checksums?". The actual folder I created is buried deep within the file structure of my HD, but the st5 file is contained within the same folder as the shn files.

I hope this answers your questions.
Thanks for your help.

Germain

germain
2008-02-23, 07:27 AM
Just a quick note.
I began working on the next show on my list.
-Copied folder to HD, unzipped, md5 verification on shn files ok, created st5 & saved to same folder, attempt to verify unsuccessful (same error message).
-Used test function. Files are to be decoded without error.
-Converted to flac. no problem.
-created both st5, then md5 for flac files. Neither could be verified. Same error message.

germain
2008-02-23, 09:43 AM
Robert,

I think I've figured this out.

When creating the checksums, I sometimes have been using the "Add" button rather than the "Browse" button to navigate to the correct folder.

Here is a checksum created when using the "Add" button:
05db16b4382dbcb214e3d3bdf114f82f [shntool]
gd72-10-17\gd72-10-17d1t01.shn

Here is the checksum when using the "Browse" button:
05db16b4382dbcb214e3d3bdf114f82f [shntool] gd72-10-17d1t01.shn

Notice the extra [gd72-10-17] generated when using the add button.
The st5 created using the "Browse" button is allowing verification, while the st5 using the "add" is not.

I have been able to use the "add" button because under Options> preferences> directories, I have set my primary "Grateful Dead" folder as the directory to add files to. When I click "add" all the folders within the primary GD are shown for me to choose from. If I click "Browse" the directory of my entire computer is shown with the primary GD folder highlighted.

Germain

roann
2008-02-23, 10:20 AM
@germain:

Checksum files only make sense if they can be used on other drives or machines too. So they need to be as independent as possible from the local folder structure they will be created on. That's why there is a root folder involved: All file paths in the checksum file will be listed against that root folder so you don't need to know what folder structure is above the root folder. Consequence: Only files located in the root folder and its subdirectories can be added to a checksum file.

Example:

The given folder structure is G:\music\lossless\Iron Maiden\2003-06-28 Stockholm, Sweden\IM2003-28-06.flac16 with two subdirectories of IM2003-28-06.flac16 called disc1 and disc2.

If you choose IM2003-28-06.flac16 as root folder, all files located in IM2003-28-06.flac16 and its subdirectories may be added to a checksum file. In the checksum file files will be listed as follows:

info.txt
front.jpg
back.jpg
disc1\track01.flac
disc2\track05.flac

If you choose Iron Maiden as root folder instead, all files located in Iron Maiden and its subdirectories may be added to a checksum file. In the checksum file files will be listed as follows:

2003-06-28 Stockholm, Sweden\IM2003-28-06.flac16\info.txt
2003-06-28 Stockholm, Sweden\IM2003-28-06.flac16\front.jpg
2003-06-28 Stockholm, Sweden\IM2003-28-06.flac16\back.jpg
2003-06-28 Stockholm, Sweden\IM2003-28-06.flac16\disc1\track01.flac
2003-06-28 Stockholm, Sweden\IM2003-28-06.flac16\disc2\track05.flac

So, how to work with TLH? First select the appropriate root folder. Then use the Add button to add the files to create checksums for. Note that when at least one file is added you cannot change the root anymore. So you cannot add a file located above the root. Then create the checksums. At last always save the checksum file to the root folder if you want to use it for verification.

Robert

germain
2008-02-24, 06:53 AM
Robert,

After reading your reply a few times, the light bulb is at least burning, if not brightly. At least I know how to avoid making the error in the future. After a thorough check of the shows I've processed in the past couple of months, my ability to select the wrong root folder appears to have begun in early to mid January. Likely this corresponds to most recent TLH build that I installed..

Thanks for your input and all the work you do.

Germain

jb1954
2008-02-26, 11:12 AM
All these decoding / encoding / fixing / testing / checksumming programs, for every file type and task another one, plus those annoying command line parameters ... So I wrote a Windows tool/frontend I called Trader's Little Helper. It was not written to be the perfect "all in one wonder" but to handle the most important tasks.

Development isn't finished yet (version 0.8.0), but there are a lot of things this tool already has to offer:

- verify & create checksum files (md5 signature, flac fp, md5 fp)
- test flac and ape files
- decode ape, flac, shn files
- list file details (looking for sector boundary errors)

Features to come in the next versions:
- encode wav files to ape, flac, shn
- fix sector boundary errors
- integration via context menu in windows explorer
- drag & drop functionality
- ???

It would be perfect if Trader's Little Helper could decode mkw files too. Unfortunately I didn't found any information about this file format, and the author of mkw/mkwACT can't be contacted (mkwACT homepage is down, email address doesn't work any more). So if you have any information about mkw, please contact me.

I've decided to make my prog public. You can download it here:

http://thor.prohosting.com/roh0205

Any feedback is appreciated! If there are some good icons out there (for the application itself or those md5, ffp, st5 checksum files) please let me know.

Robert

Hi Robert,
I wonder how hard it would be to make a linux version of your program or are you eventually looking to sell it. Of course you could sell a linux version as Nero and others do. If it was opensource those hackers on linux would add to it making it even better. I'm using it fine on linux myself through a program called Wine which will allow one to use some windows programs. Yours is one of them and for that I am glad, however there are a lot of linux users that won't use wine. Their loss. Thanks for your program. It works great for me on linux. Better than on windows!
John

roann
2008-02-27, 04:31 AM
I wonder how hard it would be to make a linux version of your program ...Don't know, never used linux. Besides my programming knowledge is really bad when it comes to C and/or C++.

... or are you eventually looking to sell it. ...Never ... well, never say never, if I'd get a few million US dollars ;) ...

... If it was opensource those hackers on linux would add to it making it even better. ...TLH won't be open source.

Robert

Dweller_Benthos
2008-03-03, 12:18 PM
Got a problem with a recent download (I can give a link if need be, it's on Dime) where while testing with TLH, get the error "file is possibly truncated or corrupt." When I try showing details I get:

length expanded size cdr WAVE problems filename
9 [main] shntool 932 C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fatal error - C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fork: can't reserve memory for stack 0x239970 - 0x240000, Win32 error 487
10 [main] shntool 2624 C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fatal error - C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fork: can't reserve memory for stack 0x239970 - 0x240000, Win32 error 487
10 [main] shntool 1600 C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fatal error - C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fork: can't reserve memory for stack 0x239970 - 0x240000, Win32 error 487
21 [main] shntool 1196 C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fatal error - C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fork: can't reserve memory for stack 0x239970 - 0x240000, Win32 error 487
10 [main] shntool 1924 C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fatal error - C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fork: can't reserve memory for stack 0x239970 - 0x240000, Win32 error 487
14 [main] shntool 836 C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fatal error - C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fork: can't reserve memory for stack 0x239970 - 0x240000, Win32 error 487
15 [main] shntool 2812 fork: child -1 - died waiting for longjmp before initialization, retry 0, exit code 0x100, errno 11
shntool: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable

error while forking child process, see above

There were errors.

The files play fine in Winamp, and MKWACT by itself seems to decode them just fine.

Any thoughts?

D_B

roann
2008-03-04, 05:54 AM
Got a problem with a recent download (I can give a link if need be, it's on Dime) where while testing with TLH, get the error "file is possibly truncated or corrupt." When I try showing details I get:

length expanded size cdr WAVE problems filename
9 [main] shntool 932 C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fatal error - C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fork: can't reserve memory for stack 0x239970 - 0x240000, Win32 error 487
10 [main] shntool 2624 C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fatal error - C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fork: can't reserve memory for stack 0x239970 - 0x240000, Win32 error 487
10 [main] shntool 1600 C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fatal error - C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fork: can't reserve memory for stack 0x239970 - 0x240000, Win32 error 487
21 [main] shntool 1196 C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fatal error - C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fork: can't reserve memory for stack 0x239970 - 0x240000, Win32 error 487
10 [main] shntool 1924 C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fatal error - C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fork: can't reserve memory for stack 0x239970 - 0x240000, Win32 error 487
14 [main] shntool 836 C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fatal error - C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fork: can't reserve memory for stack 0x239970 - 0x240000, Win32 error 487
15 [main] shntool 2812 fork: child -1 - died waiting for longjmp before initialization, retry 0, exit code 0x100, errno 11
shntool: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable

error while forking child process, see above

There were errors.

The files play fine in Winamp, and MKWACT by itself seems to decode them just fine.

Any thoughts?

D_BIf you're using version 0.x.x.x or 1.x.x.x please upgrade (http://tlh.easytree.org). If you're already using version 2.x.x.x post/pm/email the dime link so I can do some tests.

Robert

Dweller_Benthos
2008-03-04, 07:49 AM
Yep, that fixed it though there's still a problem with one track, but I think that's truely corrupted. TLH won't decode it, says there's a problem

error while transferring data (likely file is truncated or otherwise corrupt, or disk is full)

The disk isn't full :-) so it's corrupted. MKWACT will decode the first 2 minutes or so, then just gives up.

Here's the torrent if you want to look:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=186329

The bad track is disk 1 track 8, listed as "Changes" but it's actually "Owner of a lonely heart".

D_B

roann
2008-03-04, 08:31 AM
Yep, that fixed it though there's still a problem with one track, but I think that's truely corrupted. TLH won't decode it, says there's a problem

error while transferring data (likely file is truncated or otherwise corrupt, or disk is full)

The disk isn't full :-) so it's corrupted. MKWACT will decode the first 2 minutes or so, then just gives up.

Here's the torrent if you want to look:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=186329

The bad track is disk 1 track 8, listed as "Changes" but it's actually "Owner of a lonely heart".

D_BThanks for the info!

I downloaded disk 1 track 8 to run a couple of tests. shorten stops when the decoded data is about 24 MB - as usual without any error message. shntool stops after decoding 35% of the source file saying "error while transferring 68631360-byte data chunk -- skipping" (that data chunk size is way too big). So disk 1 track 8 is corrupt.

Robert

Dweller_Benthos
2008-03-04, 01:46 PM
OK, thanks, I'll pass that info along.

D_B

johnnydesoto
2008-03-11, 06:29 PM
Hello,

I hope this isn't too dumb a question but can someone explain this message received when testing encoded audio? :

"file is decodable without error, but flac fingerprint does not match"

I've also gotten this message when verifying files

"failed verification (checksum in file header does match, but checksum of audio data does not match"

I'm using the most recent Traders helper

thanks

johnnydesoto
2008-03-11, 08:35 PM
those messages were for the same fileset btw

jonohull
2008-03-12, 03:24 AM
Is this acceptable lineage?:

Silver CD> wav> flac> download> wav>cool edit repair>wav> flac

glens
2008-03-12, 03:47 AM
Is this acceptable lineage?:

Silver CD> wav> flac> download> wav>cool edit repair>wav> flac

Is this how the lineage was indicated in a torrent you downloaded or one you want to upload?
Usually the extraction program used for the Silvers should be designated (e.g., EAC or CDParanoia for OSX). In addition, not necessarily a pure lineage thing, but if any audio editing was used, what was done insofar as any speed correction, EQ, noise reduction (shudder.....) Also, I know nothing, of course, but I've never seen "download" indicated in any lineage.....

roann
2008-03-12, 09:26 AM
Hello,

I hope this isn't too dumb a question but can someone explain this message received when testing encoded audio? :

"file is decodable without error, but flac fingerprint does not match"

I've also gotten this message when verifying files

"failed verification (checksum in file header does match, but checksum of audio data does not match"

I'm using the most recent Traders helper

thanksAt first sight the answer may be confusing because it's a lengthy technical one. So please read carefully.

(1) Error message "file is decodable without error, but flac fingerprint does not match"

When encoding a wav file to flac format the flac encoder calculates a checksum of the raw wave data (the so called flac fingerprint) and stores it in the header of the flac file. When decoding a flac file back to wav format the flac decoder not only decodes the data but additionally creates a checksum of the decoded data and compares it against the flac fingerprint.

So the error message tells you that a) there weren't any errors in the decoding process but b) the re-calculated checksum does not match the fingerprint. In other words, either the checksum header part or the audio data part of the flac file is corrupt.

Most times it's the audio data simply because it is by far the biggest part of the flac file (the checksum part is only a few bytes long). Usually this happens when you backup files on CD or DVD (either there was a bad write or the CD/DVD becomes corrupt over the years).

(2) Error message "failed verification (checksum in file header does match, but checksum of audio data does not match"

When testing a .ffp file three checksums are involved with each flac file listed in the checksum file. The first checksum (#1) is the one given in the checksum file, of course. The second one (#2) is the flac fingerprint (see above). The third one (#3) is the re-calculated checksum from the decoded audio data (see above).

TLH compares each checksum against the other ones. The error message tells you that a) the checksum in the .ffp file (#1) matches the flac fingerprint (#2) but b) the re-calculated checksum of the decoded data (#3) does not match these two ones. In other words, either the checksum header part or the audio data part of the flac file is corrupt.

For creating a .ffp checksum file all programs that are able to do that just read the fingerprint from the flac file header, but there isn't any checking done whether the file is still valid or not. So most likely the following has happened: The checksum header part or the audio part of the flac file for any reason became corrupt. A .ffp checksum file was created after the corruption took place. So checksums #1 and #2 do match but checksum #3 does not match.

Robert

johnnydesoto
2008-03-12, 03:49 PM
thank you very much.

I was confused because it sounded like a corrupt file but it said that it would decode properly, which (if I understand correctly) means that it would decode corrupted since the .ffp was made after the corruption took place.

As an example: source audio in wav form>flac compression>wav(and a corrupted transfer)>recompressed to flac.

roann
2008-03-13, 11:08 AM
thank you very much.

I was confused because it sounded like a corrupt file but it said that it would decode properly, which (if I understand correctly) means that it would decode corrupted since the .ffp was made after the corruption took place.

As an example: source audio in wav form>flac compression>wav(and a corrupted transfer)>recompressed to flac.Unfortunately I told you some crap in my last answer, really sorry for that. Don't know what happened when I posted this ... most likely I'm too old for all this newfangled technical stuff, or maybe for a short time my brain was taken over by some aliens who wanted to know everything about TLH, or I was just too diverted by my girl friend who from time to time tries to "convince" me that I can have more fun with her instead with my computers ;-) ...

Anyway, it's the "... either the checksum header part or the audio data part of the flac file is corrupt. Most times it's the audio data ..." statement that's wrong. If you experience one of the error messages we're talking about in most cases it is *not* the audio part because there wasn't any error during the decoding process (and it's very hard to fool the flac decoder). So most likely the raw audio data is *not* corrupt.

Robert

johnnydesoto
2008-03-13, 05:52 PM
lol..ok thanks

velvetsailor
2008-03-24, 04:00 PM
Awww, man... I don't mean to sound ungrateful, because it's got to be hard to even imagine all the time and "TLC" that have gone into TLH (and thank you very much!), but I think someone should wake me up if and when TLH looks a little less like rocket science, really.

Last time I tried TLH was back around the Windows Security bug announcement here, and all I could get it to deal with .WAVs, but back then I was thinking I wanted to do whatever it took to get the shntool fingerprints for .SHNs for TTD posts, so at the same time I installed shntool not realizing there were issues between TLH and the particular version, that were stated here but were not stated on the download page for TLH where I got it. I tried everything I could think of (or read about here) to get rid of shntool but still could not get TLH to deal correctly with anything but .WAVs, and just gave up. After that, I still have not caught up with changes to TLH.

So, as always, mkwACT is where I end up back at, because that, I can get to actually work in the here and now when I need it. In fact, other than its distaste for those ubiquitous lines that begin with ye olde octothorpe #, I have never had a single difficulty with it nor needed to force my tiny brain to try to contend with many pages of complicated support for it.

Being the case that mwkACT chokes on info inside the .md5 file that it considers to be spurious, like the lines that identify the file as having been created by TLH or the MD5 Summer, I've copied and renamed and edited hundreds and hundreds of md5 files for torrents that were created by TLH, everything with the "spurious text" gets an extra edited .md5 file that will plainly state "all files verified correctly" with mkwACT - that is on top of the extra md5s that get generated to monitor corruption in text files and artwork images, since a lot of the md5s I get with torrents address only the audio files and not other contents. And then I pass them onto people who probably don't get why there are sometimes 3 or 4 checksum files with a single show, or the protocols I use to try make sure that they too can get a straight answer out of mkwACT, just by clicking on a single md5 file. :)

And I realize that this is splitting hairs somewhat, because I think mkwACT should announce file corruption in addition to announcing that it found characters it doesn't like, but this stuff can be pretty disconcerting for the novice user - it took quite a long time for me to fully trust that mkwACT wasn't one of those programs that stops on the first few errors it finds and then fails to announce additional ones.

And this is technically mkwACT's problem rather than TLH's of course, but if I've understood correctly, I probably shouldn't expect a fix from MKW?

So on behalf of myself and anyone else who may still be in this same boat, I'm wondering if it would be possible / adequate if TLH put an identifier for md5s that it created, into the md5 file name or elsewhere, instead of into the md5 files themselves, so that these files will give a straight readout with mkwACT. Windows displays a date of creation for the md5 file anyway, so I'm guessing the date of creation doesn't actually need to be stated in the md5 file itself at least?

And I know, this would be applicable to MD5 Summer as well, but 95% of the files in question came from TLH.

Or is all this just lazy and completely ignorant of me? (Likely so, and apologies if it is).

Mr. T.
2008-03-25, 12:55 AM
Awww, man...
you sound a displaced programmer to me.
TLH checks for SBE's...who else does that...huh.

on my secret wish list...I would like TLH to check CDDB/freed.db for tagging.

Tubular
2008-03-25, 01:40 AM
velvetsailor, can't you just delete shntool.exe, shorten.exe and flac.exe from your C:\WINDOWS folder and re-install TLH?

Mr. T, shntool will check for SBE's (and does a ton of other stuff too). It is command line, but it is easy. Why would you be in dire need of a prog that checks for SBE's if you don't download shows though? ;)

roann
2008-03-25, 04:27 AM
on my secret wish list...I would like TLH to check CDDB/freed.db for tagging.There will be no CDDB/freed.db check with TLH because TLH doesn't offer any tagging functions.

Robert

roann
2008-03-25, 05:25 AM
Awww, man... I don't mean to sound ungrateful, because it's got to be hard to even imagine all the time and "TLC" that have gone into TLH (and thank you very much!), but I think someone should wake me up if and when TLH looks a little less like rocket science, really.

Last time I tried TLH was back around the Windows Security bug announcement here, and all I could get it to deal with .WAVs, but back then I was thinking I wanted to do whatever it took to get the shntool fingerprints for .SHNs for TTD posts, so at the same time I installed shntool not realizing there were issues between TLH and the particular version, that were stated here but were not stated on the download page for TLH where I got it. I tried everything I could think of (or read about here) to get rid of shntool but still could not get TLH to deal correctly with anything but .WAVs, and just gave up. After that, I still have not caught up with changes to TLH.

So, as always, mkwACT is where I end up back at, because that, I can get to actually work in the here and now when I need it. In fact, other than its distaste for those ubiquitous lines that begin with ye olde octothorpe #, I have never had a single difficulty with it nor needed to force my tiny brain to try to contend with many pages of complicated support for it.

Being the case that mwkACT chokes on info inside the .md5 file that it considers to be spurious, like the lines that identify the file as having been created by TLH or the MD5 Summer, I've copied and renamed and edited hundreds and hundreds of md5 files for torrents that were created by TLH, everything with the "spurious text" gets an extra edited .md5 file that will plainly state "all files verified correctly" with mkwACT - that is on top of the extra md5s that get generated to monitor corruption in text files and artwork images, since a lot of the md5s I get with torrents address only the audio files and not other contents. And then I pass them onto people who probably don't get why there are sometimes 3 or 4 checksum files with a single show, or the protocols I use to try make sure that they too can get a straight answer out of mkwACT, just by clicking on a single md5 file. :)

And I realize that this is splitting hairs somewhat, because I think mkwACT should announce file corruption in addition to announcing that it found characters it doesn't like, but this stuff can be pretty disconcerting for the novice user - it took quite a long time for me to fully trust that mkwACT wasn't one of those programs that stops on the first few errors it finds and then fails to announce additional ones.

And this is technically mkwACT's problem rather than TLH's of course, but if I've understood correctly, I probably shouldn't expect a fix from MKW?

So on behalf of myself and anyone else who may still be in this same boat, I'm wondering if it would be possible / adequate if TLH put an identifier for md5s that it created, into the md5 file name or elsewhere, instead of into the md5 files themselves, so that these files will give a straight readout with mkwACT. Windows displays a date of creation for the md5 file anyway, so I'm guessing the date of creation doesn't actually need to be stated in the md5 file itself at least?

And I know, this would be applicable to MD5 Summer as well, but 95% of the files in question came from TLH.

Or is all this just lazy and completely ignorant of me? (Likely so, and apologies if it is).(1)The download page (http://tlh.easytree.org) for TLH clearly states what should be done to avoid problems (see Notes section).

(2) The v2.x.x.x releases of TLH work completely without reference to what is installed elsewhere in your programs and/or Windows folder(s). So if you want TLH to work properly please do as follows:
a) Uninstall TLH using its uninstall routine (do not just delete the TLH installation directory).
b) Open Windows Explorer. If the TLH installation folder (usually C:\Program files\Trader's Little Helper) still exists, delete it (including all that's in it).
c) Re-install the latest release (download location see link above).
d) Do not install other programs such as shntool to the TLH installation folder (or one of its subfolders), do not replace any of the programs that the TLH setup installs to the TLH installation subdirectory CmdLineApps with other versions.

(3) The development of mkwACT has been stopped years ago, and mkwACT is not supported anymore by its author. Furthermore (AFAIK) it is the only program around that doesn't "understand" comments in checksum files. IMO it makes no sense to change things only because some people aren't able to properly install TLH as described above (no offense meant). So I definitely neither will change the comments that TLH puts into a checksum file nor there will be any additional "identifiers" in the name of checksum files TLH creates.

(4) If you install TLH the way described above and there are still problems please let me know.

Robert

Dweller_Benthos
2008-04-01, 08:15 AM
As if....

Anyway, long story short, I just got done copying about 500 CDs worth of files to an external HD so that when the CDs decay beyond use (some were already giving read errors) the files will be safe. Now, for the TLH wish(es):

I now have the daunting task of verifying several hundred filesets. TLH does this very well, but getting a couple hundred MD5s, FFP and SFV files loaded into it so it can batch verify is kinda a pain. If I double-click one verification file, it opens in TLH no problem, if I double-click another, it replaces the one that's already there. Using the Add... button is OK for one or two files, but navigating to more than that gets to be a hassle, then, you lose track of where you were etc (yes I'm lazy). So, what I'd like TLH to be able to do is if a second file is double-clicked, it just gets added to the list, so I can easily go through a bunch of folders in explorer and fast click on a bunch of files, and let it rip. Even better, if I could point TLH to a master folder or a whole drive and tell it to find all the MD5 files (or FFP or SFV or any combination thereof) and it would automatically parse the folders, sniff out all the files and add them to the list to verify. That would be sweet.

OK, on to wish two (I get three, right? LOL)

Barring whatever happens with wish one, it would be cool if TLH had a way to report the total results when verifying more than one set of files. That way, instead of scrolling back up through a bunch of results to see if there were any errors, if a total appeared at the bottom that said something like:

Files: 2345 Passed: 2340 Missing: 1 Bad: 4

Or, if there was a check box that you could check to only show errors in the results list, something like that.

Well, I think I'm pressing my luck here, so i'll save wish three for a time when I think of what it might be, lol

thanks

D_B

roann
2008-04-02, 02:58 AM
I now have the daunting task of verifying several hundred filesets. TLH does this very well, but getting a couple hundred MD5s, FFP and SFV files loaded into it so it can batch verify is kinda a pain. If I double-click one verification file, it opens in TLH no problem, if I double-click another, it replaces the one that's already there. Using the Add... button is OK for one or two files, but navigating to more than that gets to be a hassle, then, you lose track of where you were etc (yes I'm lazy). So, what I'd like TLH to be able to do is if a second file is double-clicked, it just gets added to the list, so I can easily go through a bunch of folders in explorer and fast click on a bunch of files, and let it rip.Go to Options > Preferences > Verify checksum files, uncheck Clear existing file list before adding files, and press the Apply button. Now checksum files when double-clicked will be added without replacing the ones that are already on the list. A drawback is that after each double-click TLH gets the focus so the TLH window might get restored (depends a bit on the OS used). I'll try to change this with the next release.

Even better, if I could point TLH to a master folder or a whole drive and tell it to find all the MD5 files (or FFP or SFV or any combination thereof) and it would automatically parse the folders, sniff out all the files and add them to the list to verify. That would be sweet.Nice one, added to the list.

OK, on to wish two (I get three, right? LOL)You got more than one wish only if you run the commercially available version of TLH.

Barring whatever happens with wish one, it would be cool if TLH had a way to report the total results when verifying more than one set of files. That way, instead of scrolling back up through a bunch of results to see if there were any errors, if a total appeared at the bottom that said something like:

Files: 2345 Passed: 2340 Missing: 1 Bad: 4

Or, if there was a check box that you could check to only show errors in the results list, something like that.You're not the only user who requested something like that. It's on the list but I don't know if it will make it to the next release (unfortunately it's a bit more difficult to implement than one could possibly imagine).

Robert

Dweller_Benthos
2008-04-04, 03:12 PM
Hey, thanks, you know, I did look in the preferences for some kind option for adding files, but must have skimmed over that bit. It'll help a bunch.

Thanks for considering the other "wishes" I can see how implementing the last might be more work than it's worth.

D_B

mike1061
2008-04-07, 07:06 AM
Can I ask what the difference is, when you select varify checksum files, then add fingerprints, and when you do the same thing but ckeck full ffp vif.? With the box checked it takes a lot longer, so that implies to me that tth is doning more work. Until I just saw Jamie's comment in the checksums demistified thread I thought I was verifing the files properly with the box un-checked.
Thanks Mike

roann
2008-04-07, 10:24 AM
Can I ask what the difference is, when you select varify checksum files, then add fingerprints, and when you do the same thing but ckeck full ffp vif.? With the box checked it takes a lot longer, so that implies to me that tth is doning more work. Until I just saw Jamie's comment in the checksums demistified thread I thought I was verifing the files properly with the box un-checked.
Thanks MikeWith the box Full ffp verify unchecked the checksum given in the .ffp file is compared only against the one stored in the .flac file header. The audio data is not checked at all. The only way to definitely verify flac files is to check the Full ffp verify box. Now additionally the audio data is compared against the checksums mentioned above. But this needs decoding, and that's why it takes so much longer to process.

Because using the Full ffp verify box unchecked is pretty senseless I finally removed the box/option long time ago. Full ffp verify became the default setting and cannot be turned off anymore.

Note that your TLH version is completely outdated if it offers that box. Please upgrade (http://tlh.easytree.org)!

Robert

Phlimphlam
2008-04-07, 01:41 PM
Just dropping in to say thanks to roann and others who have helped contribute.

As a noob TLH has been extremely helpful. Appreciate it!

mike1061
2008-04-08, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the reply.
Mike

ColinM
2008-04-10, 03:02 AM
If I could make a request for the next version. This is my only request. It's perfect for all I do, otherwise.

When creating a .torrent file, you Browse to the location where you want to save it. Unfortunately in my case, it defaults to the dir of the file you are about to create a .torrent file for. I keep my .torrent files in a single folder for easy access, plus files I create .torrents from are all over the 4 hard drives in my case.

Can the program 'remember' its' last saved location when creating multiple .torrent files? Or possibly designate a default directory to start from?

Imagine this:

Torrents - main folder
Music - sub folder
TV - sub
WRC - sub
Other - sub

If I could set TLH to always start from C:\My Documents\Torrents when saving .torrent file then I would only to navigate a single folder down. I can't be the only one who prefers .torrent files be saved in a central location.

roann
2008-04-10, 07:14 AM
If I could make a request for the next version. This is my only request. It's perfect for all I do, otherwise.

When creating a .torrent file, you Browse to the location where you want to save it. Unfortunately in my case, it defaults to the dir of the file you are about to create a .torrent file for. I keep my .torrent files in a single folder for easy access, plus files I create .torrents from are all over the 4 hard drives in my case.

Can the program 'remember' its' last saved location when creating multiple .torrent files? Or possibly designate a default directory to start from?

Imagine this:

Torrents - main folder
Music - sub folder
TV - sub
WRC - sub
Other - sub

If I could set TLH to always start from C:\My Documents\Torrents when saving .torrent file then I would only to navigate a single folder down. I can't be the only one who prefers .torrent files be saved in a central location.TLH is not able to permanently remember the last folder a .torrent file was saved to. But you can set a default directory where to write .torrent files to:

If TLH is already running close and re-start it. Open Options menu, select the Preferences ... item, and choose Create torrent file. Select This one in the box Directory to write torrent files to. No use the <...> button to select a default directory of your choice. Press the Apply button.

Robert

ColinM
2008-04-10, 10:25 AM
Well, that works fine.

Thank you again for a fine program.

VABLivenLevity
2008-04-10, 06:13 PM
cool

roann
2008-04-24, 12:42 PM
New build 155 is available (download here (http://tlh.easytree.org), or use TLH's build-in Check for update function).

Decoding of mp2 audio files (user requests because of DAB torrents) can be done now, and some bugs are ironed out (thanks to all who helped out to track down these). The procedure to bring the application window to front when shell integration or Drag & Drop is used (to pass a folder or files to TLH) was reworked so this now works in almost all cases with WinXP too (well, at least on my XP system). For more details please see the change log.

Robert

mooncusser
2008-04-24, 01:30 PM
Sweet! Thanks!!

jmontells
2008-04-27, 08:11 PM
Don't know if this has already been answered since this thread is so long but I have Windows VISTA and I cannot decode any of my FLAC files. It keeps giving me error messages. Please help.

roann
2008-04-28, 01:17 AM
Don't know if this has already been answered since this thread is so long but I have Windows VISTA and I cannot decode any of my FLAC files. It keeps giving me error messages. Please help.It's difficult to help if there's only little information ...

Which version of TLH do you use? (The latest release is v2.3.0.155. If you don't have it please upgrade (http://tlh.easytree.org).

Only if you are already running v2.3.0.155:
What error messages (exact wording) do you get? (There's a build-in function to create a screenshot of TLH that in many cases even works after an error occured. If you cannot access the Tools menu use <Shift><PrintScr>.) Did you change anything in TLH's installation folder after installing (replace a command-line application with another release, for example)?

Robert

mike1061
2008-04-29, 08:24 AM
Robert
I just looked again, as I remembered I was unable to find a donate page or link. Now that I have a paypal account I was trying to catch up on all these things.
Thanks Mike

roann
2008-04-29, 01:02 PM
Robert
I just looked again, as I remembered I was unable to find a donate page or link. Now that I have a paypal account I was trying to catch up on all these things.
Thanks MikeThanks very much for your efforts putting me on the list of the world's richest people ;-). But there is (and will be) no donate page or link for TLH.

Robert

roann
2008-05-04, 09:01 AM
Only a minor update for the Create torrent file sections so the unexperienced user is "forced" to save a .torrent file not in the directory it's for:

The option to exclude .db files from the file list of a multi-file torrent has been moved from the Create torrent file page to the Create torrent file section of the Preferences dialog. An option was added allowing to exclude .torrent files from the file list of a multi-file torrent. Additionally the default location to save a created .torrent file to was changed to the folder containing the source the .torrent file is for (i.e. the parent of the source folder if a multi-file torrent was created).

Robert

GRC
2008-05-05, 10:33 AM
EAC will rip a CD to a .wav file.

TLH will take these .wav files and encode them to .flac files.

I can't help thinking that I'd really like a combination of the two; is there any technical reason that there couldn't be a combination program that'll rip a CD and encode it to .flac in one pass .....?

Regards, Graham

roann
2008-05-05, 12:47 PM
EAC will rip a CD to a .wav file.

TLH will take these .wav files and encode them to .flac files.

I can't help thinking that I'd really like a combination of the two; is there any technical reason that there couldn't be a combination program that'll rip a CD and encode it to .flac in one pass .....?

Regards, GrahamYou already have it - EAC is able to rip and encode in one pass.

GRC
2008-05-05, 01:21 PM
I must have missed something in the EAC menu options then; I haven't been able to persuade it to do anything but encode .wav; however, am I right in saying that EAC won't do the fingerprints, and I'll still need TLH to do them...?

Regards, Graham

roann
2008-05-06, 12:12 AM
I must have missed something in the EAC menu options then; I haven't been able to persuade it to do anything but encode .wav; ...Open EAC. Click the EAC menu and select Compression Options. Click the External Compression tab. Check the box Use external program for compression, change Parameter passing scheme to User Defined Encoder, change Use file extension to .flac, ...

... however, am I right in saying that EAC won't do the fingerprints, ...Yes, you are.

... and I'll still need TLH to do them...?TLH or any other program that is able to create flac fingerprints.

rowland360
2008-05-08, 12:40 AM
hi am looking for any thing on pitching how to baseball video

bobs23
2008-05-11, 01:59 PM
Hi Robert,
I've searched the thread but couldn't find anything regarding SBE checking/repair for 48/24 files. Using V2.2.2(build 152) I am I missing something? It will flac encode these files just fine.
TIA
Bob S.

wharfrat73
2008-05-11, 02:30 PM
SBEs are only an issue on 16 bit, 44.1kHz files

gmm6797
2008-05-11, 05:37 PM
Is there any way to have all of the custom settings saved?

IE: when I encode WAV files to FLAC I use the same settings every time, but the are lost as soon as I close TLH

bobs23
2008-05-12, 10:03 AM
Please excuse the ignorance, but I don't understand why it's not an issue in 48k

roann
2008-05-12, 03:14 PM
Hi Robert,
I've searched the thread but couldn't find anything regarding SBE checking/repair for 48/24 files. Using V2.2.2(build 152) I am I missing something? It will flac encode these files just fine.
TIA
Bob S.

Please excuse the ignorance, but I don't understand why it's not an issue in 48kSBEs do matter only if you want to burn an Audio CD, and the standard for Audio CDs specifies the form of digital audio encoding as 2-channel signed 16-bit PCM sampled at 44100 Hz. Audio CDs hold data in blocks of a given length, so called sectors. If an audio track break is not on a sector boundary, the rest of the sector is filled with zeroes before the next track begins. This may cause an audible gap between the tracks.

Btw, please upgrade your version of TLH. In its Help menu there is a Check for update item that allows you to check and upgrade.

Is there any way to have all of the custom settings saved?

IE: when I encode WAV files to FLAC I use the same settings every time, but the are lost as soon as I close TLHOpen Options > Preferences > Audio compression. The compression settings there are the settings TLH will start with as defaults. The default encoding format can be set in the Encode wav files section of the Preferences dialog.

gmm6797
2008-05-12, 06:10 PM
Open Options > Preferences > Audio compression. The compression settings there are the settings TLH will start with as defaults. The default encoding format can be set in the Encode wav files section of the Preferences dialog.

Sorry, I should have been clearer.

The settings I have to keep setting are:
test encoded files
create checksum file (and the setting in the drop down)
delete source file

These have to be set every time I launch TLH

roann
2008-05-13, 12:39 AM
Open Options > Preferences > Audio compression. The compression settings there are the settings TLH will start with as defaults. The default encoding format can be set in the Encode wav files section of the Preferences dialog.

Sorry, I should have been clearer.

The settings I have to keep setting are:
test encoded files
create checksum file (and the setting in the drop down)
delete source file

These have to be set every time I launch TLHYeah, the defaults of those settings aren't changeable. Added to the to-do-list ...

gmm6797
2008-05-13, 01:25 AM
[QUOTE=gmm6797;869866]
Yeah, the defaults of those settings aren't changeable. Added to the to-do-list ...

Thanks for the help! Keep up the cool product

roann
2008-05-30, 09:18 AM
New build 159 is available (use TLH's build-in Check for update function, or download installer here (http://tlh.easytree.org)).

This was thought to be a maintenance release but a couple of user requests "forced" me to add and change some things besides the bug fixing. Creation of both trackerless and multi-tracker torrent files is possible now. Trackerless torrent files can be decoded and checked. Changeable default settings in the 'Encode wav files' and 'Re-encode flac files' sections of the 'Preferences' dialog to set post (re-)encoding tasks were added. When processing a valid .flac file in older releases in some cases the result is a 'file is not a supported type of audio file or is corrupt' error. This was fixed.

As usual you can find all details about what has been done in the change log (Start > Programs > Trader's Little Helper > Change Log).

Robert

GRC
2008-05-30, 10:50 AM
In my torrents created with an earlier version of TLH, I would say "TLH sez no SBEs", because when I converted my wav to flac, a message would come up from TLH saying "No need to correct sector boundary errors - files are already sector-aligned"

The new version doesn't seem to check this; or if it does, it doesn't actually say so......

Not a critical issue, I'm just assuming unless TLH protests, that my files are sector-aligned.

Regards, Graham

roann
2008-05-30, 01:50 PM
In my torrents created with an earlier version of TLH, I would say "TLH sez no SBEs", because when I converted my wav to flac, a message would come up from TLH saying "No need to correct sector boundary errors - files are already sector-aligned"

The new version doesn't seem to check this; or if it does, it doesn't actually say so......

Not a critical issue, I'm just assuming unless TLH protests, that my files are sector-aligned.

Regards, GrahamIn earlier versions shntool.exe and flac.exe were involved when encoding to flac with Align on sector boundaries enabled. The last releases use flac.exe only, and flac.exe doesn't give such a "global statement" as shntool.exe does. But the info you're missing is still there, it just looks a little bit different.

If there are SBEs the process log will tell you how many bytes had to be carried over for sector alignment, for example:

rack1_sbe.wav: successfully encoded to 'track1_sbe.flac' (ratio = 0.386; 1936 bytes to be carried over for sector alignment).
track2_sbe.wav: successfully encoded to 'track2_sbe.flac' (ratio = 0.367; 944 bytes to be carried over for sector alignment).
track3_sbe.wav: successfully encoded to 'track3_sbe.flac' (ratio = 0.468; 800 bytes to be carried over for sector alignment).
track4_sbe.wav: successfully encoded to 'track4_sbe.flac' (ratio = 0.428; 2096 zero-bytes appended for sector alignment)

If there aren't any SBEs the process log will tell that there was no need for sector alignment, for example:

track1_nosbe.wav: successfully encoded to 'track1_nosbe.flac' (ratio = 0.386; no need for sector alignment).
track2_nosbe.wav: successfully encoded to 'track2_nosbe.flac' (ratio = 0.367; no need for sector alignment).
track3_nosbe.wav: successfully encoded to 'track3_nosbe.flac' (ratio = 0.468; no need for sector alignment).
track4_nosbe.wav: successfully encoded to 'track4_nosbe.flac' (ratio = 0.428; no need for sector alignment).

Robert

roann
2008-06-10, 10:21 AM
New build 160 is available (use TLH's build-in Check for update function, or download installer here (http://tlh.easytree.org)).

This release comes with one new function for the Verify checksum files page. Some users requested the ability to search for all checksum files (of given type(s)) located in a given directory and all of its subdirectories so you don't have to add file by file manually. To open the new dialog right-click on the Add button and choose the second item of the popup menu that will come up.

Robert

Patty Mac
2008-06-10, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the update Robert. xD

steamshooter
2008-06-10, 07:09 PM
I just have to say thank you for TLH. This is about the best damned piece of software I've ever used. I have become to rely on it heavily. Two thumbs up! Great work! :thumbsup:thumbsup

ecoutez
2008-06-19, 05:12 AM
This release comes with one new function for the Verify checksum files page. Some users requested the ability to search for all checksum files (of given type(s)) located in a given directory and all of its subdirectories so you don't have to add file by file manually. To open the new dialog right-click on the Add button and choose the second item of the popup menu that will come up.

Robert

Robert - many thanks for this excellent software! Is there any way the same feature can be done for FLAC files? I would like to "Test encoded audio files" but in one large batch, i.e. selecting a directory and the software finds all the flacs in that directory and tests them. Is this possible? Again, thanks.

roann
2008-06-19, 09:16 AM
Robert - many thanks for this excellent software! Is there any way the same feature can be done for FLAC files? I would like to "Test encoded audio files" but in one large batch, i.e. selecting a directory and the software finds all the flacs in that directory and tests them. Is this possible? Again, thanks.It is possible. I'll try to add it to the next release I'm working on.

Robert

cmaz
2008-06-26, 07:50 AM
Hi Robert,

As always, thanks for this great program! Just one little nitpick (and i'm sorry if this has been brought up before - i searched the thread, but couldln't find anything): Would it be possible to carry over my added files from one menu feature to the next? That is, i select my flac files to Test. They all test out ok, then i want to check them for SBE's and i have to add them again. Assuming they check out ok, then i want to decode them and i have to add them again. It would be nice if the added files remained selected until i cleared them.

Also, i would second the above request that you could select all flac files in a given directory with one click.

Thanks again...your program is really awesome!

roann
2008-06-26, 09:26 AM
... As always, thanks for this great program!As always, thanks for saying thanks :), my pleasure.

... Just one little nitpick (and i'm sorry if this has been brought up before - i searched the thread, but couldln't find anything): Would it be possible to carry over my added files from one menu feature to the next? That is, i select my flac files to Test. They all test out ok, then i want to check them for SBE's and i have to add them again. Assuming they check out ok, then i want to decode them and i have to add them again. It would be nice if the added files remained selected until i cleared them.:horse: This has been brought up before, at least in some of these email requests I'm getting all the time.

If I would take money the MS way for each implemented request I wouldn't have to work anymore for a living and would post from my own caribbean island :lol4:. Anyway, I'll try to implement this, but you'll have to wait for the next release (won't be out before somewhere in autumn).

... Also, i would second the above request that you could select all flac files in a given directory with one click.This definitely will be available with the next release :banger2:.

... Thanks again...your program is really awesome!:redface: Now stop this ...

Robert

msuscon1
2008-07-23, 09:51 AM
I installed TLH last night and have some great Jimi raring to upload, however... I need a user's guide. I can't find one attached to the current version and when prompted to go to the start menu, I can't produce one either.

Admittedly, I'm just trying to figure this process out and am far, far from knowledgeable on how to get it done. So, sorry for the rudimentary (i.e. stupid question(s)) I seem to be able to go through the steps in TLH to create a torrent, but can't figure out how to save the torrent created - how do I do that?

Thank you in advance if you can help.

roann
2008-07-23, 11:40 AM
I installed TLH last night and have some great Jimi raring to upload, however... I need a user's guide. I can't find one attached to the current version and when prompted to go to the start menu, I can't produce one either. ...I didn't find the time yet to write a new user's guide. The last release that had one was v1.1.90 but that's a long time ago.

... Admittedly, I'm just trying to figure this process out and am far, far from knowledgeable on how to get it done. So, sorry for the rudimentary (i.e. stupid question(s)) I seem to be able to go through the steps in TLH to create a torrent, but can't figure out how to save the torrent created - how do I do that? ...If you choose the source to create a torrent from TLH automatically sets location and name of the torrent file to create (see box Torrent file to create). You can change this using the Browse button.

Robert

msuscon1
2008-07-23, 03:08 PM
Thanks - I think I may have it... I appreciate the progam and your help!

msuscon1

Minburn
2008-07-27, 06:05 PM
A general query re: problems with corrupt files copied over a network. I routinely transfer files across a network system in two of my workrooms. Never problems with data files, nor wav files as such. But I began using TLH a while back and I'm finding that I have a greater number of corrupt (or perhaps more accurately, possibly corrupt) files showing up during decode (flac to wav) at a central workstation after transferring over from a DAW workstation (code to flac at the DAW, do further work after decoding to wav at the other desk). The network is fairly simple, being directed through a wired/wireless router (use wireless for this task). I've checked out these files as wav after decoding through errors and really nothing stands out that would affect sound or performance using the file. It has spurred me on to get a better understanding of the entire tech side of the errors and such (I'm admitted very limited in that end of things), but in the interim I thought I would query as to potential issues and/or solutions for these types of problems. Perhaps there is simply something fundamental I'm missing in the processing?

roann
2008-07-29, 08:40 AM
A general query re: problems with corrupt files copied over a network. I routinely transfer files across a network system in two of my workrooms. Never problems with data files, nor wav files as such. But I began using TLH a while back and I'm finding that I have a greater number of corrupt (or perhaps more accurately, possibly corrupt) files showing up during decode (flac to wav) at a central workstation after transferring over from a DAW workstation (code to flac at the DAW, do further work after decoding to wav at the other desk). The network is fairly simple, being directed through a wired/wireless router (use wireless for this task). I've checked out these files as wav after decoding through errors and really nothing stands out that would affect sound or performance using the file. It has spurred me on to get a better understanding of the entire tech side of the errors and such (I'm admitted very limited in that end of things), but in the interim I thought I would query as to potential issues and/or solutions for these types of problems. Perhaps there is simply something fundamental I'm missing in the processing?Do I understand you correctly that TLH is *not* used on network paths (TLH on a machine to encode wav to flac (source/target folder on this machine), TLH on another machine to decode flac to wav (source/target folder on this machine))?

If so, I don't know why TLH should be the reason for your troubles. Which version(s) of TLH do you use? If it's not v2.4.1.160 please upgrade (http://tlh.easytree.org). Are the same versions used? If not please ensure that they are. And what is the exact wording of the error messages?

Robert

mike1061
2008-07-29, 08:46 AM
Yes, I didn't understand the question either. Are you using TLH on one mechine, and decoding files on another mechine that are networked together? If so do you then check the files from the same mechine that the files are on, or do you check the files from a remote mechine? Is the problem when you transfer flac files (or decoded flacs) from one mechine to another?
Thanks Mike

cmaz
2008-07-31, 12:52 PM
What does it mean when i try to get TLH to check for SBE's and it gives me this result:

information about audio data is not available.

The flac fingerprints check out and nobody else is has mentioned a problem in the torrent's thread, so...

i'm using TLh 2.4.1 on a WinXP machine and the torrent in question is this one. (http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=60708)

i have been playing around with the tags using foobar2000. Could that have had something to do with it?

Thanks!

roann
2008-08-01, 11:16 AM
What does it mean when i try to get TLH to check for SBE's and it gives me this result:

information about audio data is not available.

The flac fingerprints check out and nobody else is has mentioned a problem in the torrent's thread, so...

i'm using TLh 2.4.1 on a WinXP machine and the torrent in question is this one. (http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=60708)

i have been playing around with the tags using foobar2000. Could that have had something to do with it?

Thanks!Chris, please see my post in the torrent thread you're referring to.

Robert

Minburn
2008-08-03, 04:37 PM
Yes, I didn't understand the question either. Are you using TLH on one mechine, and decoding files on another mechine that are networked together? If so do you then check the files from the same mechine that the files are on, or do you check the files from a remote mechine? Is the problem when you transfer flac files (or decoded flacs) from one mechine to another?
Thanks Mike

Yes. Two workstations networked (hard wired through D-Link DIR 625 router) to each other. One machine has an archive of flac files. I routinely transfer these flac files through the network to the other workstation, use TLH on the receiving workstation to decode to wav, then work with the files. Problem is that using the same version of TLH (2.4.1.160) they check out fine if I decode on the original workstation, but come up with a multitude of errors (yes . . . quite a few) when decoding on the receiving workstation. Same options, same settings during decode.

The error is consistently 'file is truncated or otherwise corrupt'. This showing up after decoding on the receiving workstation. But a check decode on the originating workstation shows no error.

I'm stumped. In the interim, I've been decoding on the first workstation then sending the wav files for processing. But I can't think of any reason why the direct transfer of flac for decoding shouldn't work.

roann
2008-08-03, 04:55 PM
Yes. Two workstations networked (hard wired through D-Link DIR 625 router) to each other. One machine has an archive of flac files. I routinely transfer these flac files through the network to the other workstation, use TLH on the receiving workstation to decode to wav, then work with the files. Problem is that using the same version of TLH (2.4.1.160) they check out fine if I decode on the original workstation, but come up with a multitude of errors (yes . . . quite a few) when decoding on the receiving workstation. Same options, same settings during decode.

The error is consistently 'file is truncated or otherwise corrupt'. This showing up after decoding on the receiving workstation. But a check decode on the originating workstation shows no error.

I'm stumped. In the interim, I've been decoding on the first workstation then sending the wav files for processing. But I can't think of any reason why the direct transfer of flac for decoding shouldn't work.Well, you never know ... But it's easy to check whether the direct transfer introduces any errors. Create a _wholefile_ md5 checksum file of the file set on the source machine before transfer, transfer the flac files and the checksum file, and verify the checksum file on the target machine. If the checksum files do not verify there's a problems with the transfer.

Robert

migrantwing
2008-08-06, 07:39 AM
Thanks roann for your excellent tool 'TLH'. Bravo!! :clap::clap:

bbernardini
2008-08-07, 12:42 PM
Anybody had trouble converting WAV to VBR mp3 with TLH? (I know, I know...NOT for here, or any other lossless torrent site...for my own personal use.) With a few different recordings, all I get is static on every mp3. Thoughts?

roann
2008-08-08, 09:57 AM
Anybody had trouble converting WAV to VBR mp3 with TLH? (I know, I know...NOT for here, or any other lossless torrent site...for my own personal use.)No troubles at all (at least on my side). No user reports up to now.

With a few different recordings, all I get is static on every mp3. Thoughts?1) Which version of TLH are you using? Latest one is v2.4.1 build 160, so please upgrade if necessary (homepage (http://tlh.easytree.org/)).
2) Did you replace the subcomponent lame.exe (comes with the TLH installer) with another version?
3) Use TLH to show the audio file details. Any errors?
4) If step 3 works try to encode some of the WAV files to FLAC. Any errors?

Robert

ZJLI
2008-08-08, 11:06 AM
"Traders Little Helper" is awesome!

Thanks for that. :wave:

bbernardini
2008-08-08, 08:23 PM
No troubles at all (at least on my side). No user reports up to now.

1) Which version of TLH are you using? Latest one is v2.4.1 build 160, so please upgrade if necessary (homepage (http://tlh.easytree.org/)).
2) Did you replace the subcomponent lame.exe (comes with the TLH installer) with another version?
3) Use TLH to show the audio file details. Any errors?
4) If step 3 works try to encode some of the WAV files to FLAC. Any errors?

Robert

1. I'm using the latest version. However, I had the same problem with 2.2.1.
2. As far as I know, I didn't replace it (not intentionally, anyway). How can I check to make sure I've got the right one?
3. No errors.
4. The WAV files encode to FLAC with no problems. It has happened with several different WAV sources (some self-made audience recordings, some DVD rips, etc.). I can't find a common factor that could lead to this problem.

Thanks for your help!

roann
2008-08-09, 06:41 AM
1. I'm using the latest version. However, I had the same problem with 2.2.1.
2. As far as I know, I didn't replace it (not intentionally, anyway). How can I check to make sure I've got the right one?
3. No errors.
4. The WAV files encode to FLAC with no problems. It has happened with several different WAV sources (some self-made audience recordings, some DVD rips, etc.). I can't find a common factor that could lead to this problem.

Thanks for your help!:hmm: ... weird ...

It would really help if I could run some tests on my side. Can you send me one the wav files (zipped or rared) via email (see About dialog of TLH), or can you upload a file to one of the filesharers around (Rapidshare, for example)?

Robert

roann
2008-08-16, 09:09 AM
Anybody had trouble converting WAV to VBR mp3 with TLH? (I know, I know...NOT for here, or any other lossless torrent site...for my own personal use.) With a few different recordings, all I get is static on every mp3. Thoughts?After a lot of tests it turned out to be lame.exe v3.97 and not TLH causing the mp3 encoding problems. If the header of a wav file is not canonical (afaik WaveLab and Audacity may generate such a header when saving a wav file, but there may be others) encoding to mp3 format may either cause Trader's Little Helper to hang or result in a mp3 file containing white noise.

So I heavily tested the new lame release (v3.98, July 2008). No problems at all :-). The new lame can be easily added to your TLH installation:

1) Download the lame release using the link http://tlh.easytree.org/files/lame.exe.
2) Save it to the subdirectory CmdlineApps of the TLH installation folder (usually C:\Program files\Trader's Little Helper) and confirm to overwrite the old lame.exe.

That's all. Note that TLH's About dialog will still say v3.97 for lame.exe.

Robert

GRC
2009-01-23, 03:15 PM
TLH asks for a 'level' when encoding WAV to FLAC, from level 0 worst to level 8 best.

Does this mean levels 0 thru 7 are lossy, and only level 8 is lossless?

ColinM
2009-01-23, 03:25 PM
TLH asks for a 'level' when encoding WAV to FLAC, from level 0 worst to level 8 best.

Does this mean levels 0 thru 7 are lossy, and only level 8 is lossless?

.flac is always lossless, except when your source .wav files were sourced from lossy. This usually happens in bad trades, without lineage, although lineage is no guarantee of a lossy free history. Somebody may have traded a set of .flac files that had been ripped from a cd that had been burnt from a set of mp3 files.

Choosing a level in the range from 0 to 8 only implies less or more compression. A smaller file is the outcome. But still lossless.

.flac > cd audio > .wav > .flac

will look pretty close to the same as

.flac > cd audio > .mp3 > .wav > .flac

File size anyway. A spectral analysis will show loss of frequency response above 15khz.

My rules for bootz:

Don't alter the original files.
Archive and trade from those only.
Make a copy to fuck with how you please and label them as fucked with.
Turn up the volume.

roann
2009-01-24, 01:55 AM

Does this mean levels 0 thru 7 are lossy, and only level 8 is lossless?FLAC stands for Free Lossless Audio Codec, meaning that when using FLAC the audio data will always be compressed without any loss in quality. So after a wav>flac>wav conversion the decoded audio is bit-for-bit identical to what went into the flac encoder.

The compression level merely specifies how much compression will be applied: level 0 means lowest compression (and as such lowest encoding time), level 8 means highest compression (and as such highest encoding time). In other words: The higher the level the smaller the encoded file. But as said above: the result is always a lossless compression.

The default level TLH uses is 6, because imo that's the best compromise between encoding time and compressed file size.

jamroom
2009-01-24, 04:25 AM
I always use 8, as I'm not bothered about the few extra minutes / seconds it takes to compress further.

mike1061
2009-01-24, 09:25 PM
.flac > cd audio > .wav > .flac

will look pretty close to the same as

.flac > cd audio > .mp3 > .wav > .flac

I don't think that's true. A true lossless flac file> CD audio> Wav> Flac, will produce flies that are exactly the same. If all encoding, ripping, and decoding are done with no errors.
Thanks Mike

mooncusser
2009-01-24, 09:36 PM
not necessarily. variations could still occur in going to CD audio and back, and would result in differences between the old and new flac files.

TTD doesn't allow seed of a CDR burned from a silver CD for similar reasons.
see #5:
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/faq.php?faq=new_faq_item#faq_rules

mike1061
2009-01-25, 08:51 AM
I do realize that it is more likely to produce errors, and I did mention that. If you create check sums, check and see if they match with the before and after. Then you know you are doing everything right.

I still don't see why the statement said the results would be similer to one with MP3 in the lineage.
Thanks Mike

mooncusser
2009-01-25, 08:55 AM
that statement is equally spurious - even if both conversions were done on the exact same PC

mike1061
2009-01-26, 06:22 PM
spurious

What does that mean?
Thanks Mike

mooncusser
2009-01-26, 08:57 PM
:google:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/spurious

ColinM
2009-01-27, 01:11 AM
I don't think that's true. A true lossless flac file> CD audio> Wav> Flac, will produce flies that are exactly the same. If all encoding, ripping, and decoding are done with no errors.
Thanks Mike

You edited out the important words; "file size anyway".

The resulting files if ripped from a cd audio disc that was burnt from mp3 files, then compressed to flac will be about the same size in mb as the original flacs. That's why it is so easy to get bad files out in the wild. That and people insist on not making backups of the original files.

mike1061
2009-01-27, 06:59 AM
I see, sorry about that. I think it was the double spacing thing that confused me.
Thanks Mike

You edited out the important words; "file size anyway".

The resulting files if ripped from a cd audio disc that was burnt from mp3 files, then compressed to flac will be about the same size in mb as the original flacs. That's why it is so easy to get bad files out in the wild. That and people insist on not making backups of the original files.

Audioarchivist
2009-01-27, 02:39 PM
I had to update my TLH today. I guess I was using an old build (never had any problems before) and got my first error message on it today. I was trying to encode a wav file to level 8, and - aw shit I forget exactly what it said - but it stopped with an error message. I'm on an XP machine, btw.
Newer build is different layout, and a couple things have changed, I see. Hey at least it worked! I guess I would recommend that people check for any upgrades to TLH once in a while. I didn't think about it until it stopped dead.
I wonder why the problem today, and never before? Oh well...

roann
2009-01-27, 04:12 PM
I had to update my TLH today. I guess I was using an old build (never had any problems before) and got my first error message on it today. I was trying to encode a wav file to level 8, and - aw shit I forget exactly what it said - but it stopped with an error message. I'm on an XP machine, btw.
Newer build is different layout, and a couple things have changed, I see. Hey at least it worked! I guess I would recommend that people check for any upgrades to TLH once in a while. I didn't think about it until it stopped dead.
I wonder why the problem today, and never before? Oh well...Too bad, without any error message it's hard to tell what happened. Next time you encounter an error please press <Shift>+<PrtScr> *before* you close the error message box. This will create a screenshot of the application window (well, in most cases, sometimes Windows doesn't want to) that you can post.

GimmeAreason
2009-01-27, 04:17 PM
Hmm. I think it is time I tried this program once again then. I did try it a while ago and to be honest, nothing would work as far as I remember! It was either giving me errors that meant nothing to me or just not running when I tried to run certain things. I assumed it was maybe just an old program and it was an XP compatibility issue.
Thanks for the updated info here :)

ColinM
2009-02-01, 03:44 PM
I need to convert some .flac files to .mp3 (NOT the originals), but preserve the tags within.

Searching through the Options, I found no setting for this. Does the current version support this?

I'm on 2.2.2 build 152.

Seth01
2009-02-02, 12:51 AM
I need to convert some .flac files to .mp3 (NOT the originals), but preserve the tags within.

Searching through the Options, I found no setting for this. Does the current version support this?

I'm on 2.2.2 build 152.

Please be very careful doing this as nobody wants to see the pool get polluted. That said, here's what flac officially say about their tags.

http://flac.sourceforge.net/faq.html

What kinds of tags does FLAC support?

FLAC has it's own native tagging system which is identical to that of Vorbis. They are called alternately "FLAC tags" and "Vorbis comments". It is the only tagging system required and guaranteed to be supported by FLAC implementations.

Out of convenience, the reference decoder knows how to skip ID3 tags so that they don't interfere with decoding. But you should not expect any tags beside FLAC tags to be supported in applications; some implementations may not even be able to decode a FLAC file with ID3 tags.HTH,
Seth

roann
2009-02-02, 02:18 AM

I'm on 2.2.2 build 152.FLAC tags will *not* be preserved when doing a flac>mp3 conversion (btw, the actual release is v2.4.1 build 160).

ColinM
2009-02-02, 02:29 AM
Shit.

Thanks for the replies.

GRC
2009-02-02, 03:30 AM
Hmm. I think it is time I tried this program once again then. I did try it a while ago and to be honest, nothing would work as far as I remember! It was either giving me errors that meant nothing to me or just not running when I tried to run certain things. I assumed it was maybe just an old program and it was an XP compatibility issue.
Thanks for the updated info here :)

Works like a dream on my XP machine. I'd say you should give it another go.

bullpinjohn
2009-02-22, 11:00 PM
What does 'truncated' mean?

ColinM
2009-02-22, 11:01 PM
What does 'truncated' mean?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/truncated

–adjective
1. shortened by or as if by having a part cut off; cut short: an unnecessarily truncated essay.
2. (of a geometric figure or solid) having the apex, vertex, or end cut off by a plane: a truncated cone or pyramid.
3. Crystallography. (of a crystal) having corners, angles, or edges cut off or replaced by a single plane.
4. Biology. truncate (def. 4).
5. Prosody. (of a line of verse) lacking at the beginning or end one or more unstressed syllables needed to fill out the metrical pattern.

germain
2009-02-23, 11:24 AM
need to convert some .flac files to .mp3 (NOT the originals), but preserve the tags within.

I generally tag my flac files, but use mp3 for the car. Paying $20 to purchase Winamp Pro allows one to transcode to mp3 and preserve the tags. The flac tags are re-written during the transcode to the ID3V1/2 tags that the mp3 uses.

bullpinjohn
2009-02-23, 08:32 PM
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/truncated

–adjective
1. shortened by or as if by having a part cut off; cut short: an unnecessarily truncated essay.
2. (of a geometric figure or solid) having the apex, vertex, or end cut off by a plane: a truncated cone or pyramid.
3. Crystallography. (of a crystal) having corners, angles, or edges cut off or replaced by a single plane.
4. Biology. truncate (def. 4).
5. Prosody. (of a line of verse) lacking at the beginning or end one or more unstressed syllables needed to fill out the metrical pattern.

As in the file is truncated or corrupt. In other words, what's wrong with the file. Is it SBE's or what?

roann
2009-02-24, 04:26 PM
As in the file is truncated or corrupt. In other words, what's wrong with the file. Is it SBE's or what?Truncated usually means part of the audio data is missing (so the file is shorter than it should be). It has nothing to do with a sector boundary error.

Scott
2009-03-07, 10:18 PM
Is there a MAC version avail?

roann
2009-03-08, 05:37 AM
Is there a MAC version avail?No, there isn't.

GRC
2009-03-17, 03:58 PM
I installed TLH V 2.4.1 (Build 160) on my Vista machine recently, and I'm trying to convert some FLACs to mp3.

I leave the FLACs in their original folders, and create new folders where the mp3 are to go, and select the 'Convert Encoding Format' option.

I select the Browse for Folder button to the right of the target folder display box, and a dialog box opens up; navigate to a folder which already exists (I create the folders with Win Explorer first) and once the folder is selected, convert files.

The problem comes about when I want to convert a second set of FLACs and put the generated mp3s into a different folder - TLH won't let me de-select the first target folder; the dialog box opens to allow me to navigate the folder tree, but no matter how I click, double-click, click the small arrow, etc on the folder above the one I want to de-select, or at the folder levels above that, it stubbornly refuses to de-select it, leaving me with the choice of putting the mp3s into that folder and manually copying them later, or resarting TLH to clear out whatever needs to be cleared out.

I also have version 2.3.1 (build 156) on my other, XP, machine, and that seems to work fine.

If this explanation is unclear, I'll add screenshots.

Any suggestions, anyone?

roann
2009-03-18, 09:09 AM
I installed TLH V 2.4.1 (Build 160) on my Vista machine recently, and I'm trying to convert some FLACs to mp3.

I leave the FLACs in their original folders, and create new folders where the mp3 are to go, and select the 'Convert Encoding Format' option.

I select the Browse for Folder button to the right of the target folder display box, and a dialog box opens up; navigate to a folder which already exists (I create the folders with Win Explorer first) and once the folder is selected, convert files.

The problem comes about when I want to convert a second set of FLACs and put the generated mp3s into a different folder - TLH won't let me de-select the first target folder; the dialog box opens to allow me to navigate the folder tree, but no matter how I click, double-click, click the small arrow, etc on the folder above the one I want to de-select, or at the folder levels above that, it stubbornly refuses to de-select it, leaving me with the choice of putting the mp3s into that folder and manually copying them later, or resarting TLH to clear out whatever needs to be cleared out.

I also have version 2.3.1 (build 156) on my other, XP, machine, and that seems to work fine.

If this explanation is unclear, I'll add screenshots.

Any suggestions, anyone?I'm using WinXP, and on my side build 160 works fine when converting flac to mp3. :hmm: Are there other _Vista_ users having this problem?

GRC
2009-03-26, 11:10 AM
Ah, well - nobody else seems to be having the same problem (Sigh)

roann
2009-03-26, 02:15 PM
Ah, well - nobody else seems to be having the same problem (Sigh)Just a thought, do you have (Vista) SP1 installed?

jamroom
2009-03-27, 04:20 AM
Ah, well - nobody else seems to be having the same problem (Sigh)

Sorry - XP here as well...

GRC
2009-04-09, 12:54 PM
iTunes is exhibiting the same behaviour within the 'Add folder to library' dialog;

The last folder I added was Waters 1984 Hartford; next time I want to add a different folder, but the folder path seems to hold the last folder used - see folder 1 image.

I collapse the path to two levels up from this, then open up the path again, and it fails to show all the folders under the 'mp3 concerts' folder..... see folder 2, where just the last added folder is still showing as the only one.

No amount of double-clicking, right-clicking, etc seems to clear it. Have closed iTunes, opened it again, and dismounted the external drive which holds the folders, and remounted it, all to no avail.....

Looking like not a TLH issue, but anyone - any ideas?

GRC
2009-04-09, 12:55 PM
Hasn't included my screenshots... hang on a minute....

GRC
2009-04-09, 12:59 PM
Folder 1

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/grc001/folder1.jpg

Folder 2

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/grc001/folder2.jpg

GRC
2009-04-09, 01:02 PM
There's a few hundred folders below the 'Downloaded concerts' level, but whatever I do, the view always returns to that shown in folder 1 image, with the only one shown being the last one imported.

Similar behaviour to the TLH dialog where the only subfolder showing is the last one I converted.

roann
2009-04-09, 01:11 PM
iTunes is exhibiting the same behaviour within the 'Add folder to library' dialog;

The last folder I added was Waters 1984 Hartford; next time I want to add a different folder, but the folder path seems to hold the last folder used - see folder 1 image.

I collapse the path to two levels up from this, then open up the path again, and it fails to show all the folders under the 'mp3 concerts' folder..... see folder 2, where just the last added folder is still showing as the only one.

No amount of double-clicking, right-clicking, etc seems to clear it. Have closed iTunes, opened it again, and dismounted the external drive which holds the folders, and remounted it, all to no avail.....

Looking like not a TLH issue, but anyone - any ideas?The Browse for folder dialog is a system dialog that comes with Windows OS. An application has to call a special function from the Windows API (Application Programming Interface), and all you see and get is done by Windows OS (not by the calling application). So there's nothing I can do on TLH's side, I'm afraid.

jdooly
2009-04-10, 12:32 AM
Man! I use this program ALL the time. It makes life easier when you're addicted to downloading indescribable music that's as addictive as crack. Thanks! If you find something even better for the trading world, please feel free to share it. I wish I had access to all this stuff in the early 90's when I was a DJ on the radio -- even had my own Dead Show, which was pretty successful believe it or not. Honestly, it was better than the Dead channel on XM/Sirius....those guys need to loosen up and not be so tight-assed. it will come across much better to the listening audience. I do however enjoy the David Gans spots when he tells about his experiences at some of the shows. They need to do more of that stuff for sure. Dooly -----LOVIN' THIS SITE WAAAY TOO MUCH!

GRC
2009-04-10, 04:15 AM
The Browse for folder dialog is a system dialog that comes with Windows OS. An application has to call a special function from the Windows API (Application Programming Interface), and all you see and get is done by Windows OS (not by the calling application). So there's nothing I can do on TLH's side, I'm afraid.

Yup, I was beginning to suspect that - could I have changed anything, like a user-accessible folder option, that's triggered this behaviour? I'll go have a look at the folder structure from the root level onward, and scour the options for a clue.....

Since the iTunes add folder dialogue was working OK before, and it seems to have changed its behaviour since the TLH installation, could there be any element of the TLH install itself (rather than the running program) that could have affected it...?

roann
2009-04-13, 07:10 AM
Yup, I was beginning to suspect that - could I have changed anything, like a user-accessible folder option, that's triggered this behaviour? ...No.

... Since the iTunes add folder dialogue was working OK before, and it seems to have changed its behaviour since the TLH installation, could there be any element of the TLH install itself (rather than the running program) that could have affected it...?No, TLH just calls a given Windows OS routine (as I said before). This has absolutely nothing to do with the installation process.

peantr1
2009-04-23, 01:41 PM
Hi,
My old login is "Peantr", my ratio = 2.75, 100 Gb liching.
I Can't go to traker. Help! :mad:

mike1061
2009-04-24, 04:17 PM
Hi,
My old login is "Peantr", my ratio = 2.75, 100 Gb liching.
I Can't go to traker. Help! :mad:

What? I think you posted in the wrong place.
I think if your problem is not with traders little helper, that you should start your own thread. Use the technobabble forum and discribe your problem as much as you can.
Thanks MIke

allforcarrie
2009-05-14, 09:10 AM
If you could add an item to the windows context menu that says something along the lines of convert this file with... that would kick ass!

roann
2009-05-14, 11:52 AM
If you could add an item to the windows context menu that says something along the lines of convert this file with... that would kick ass!What do you have in mind, an item to call a specific app for the converting procedure (something like " convert with a) TLH, b) FLAC Frontend, c) ...")?

allforcarrie
2009-05-14, 12:57 PM
you could have it say something like convert this file with TLH. then the window opens. Or convert this file to FLAC,MP3, OGG. DB power amp has an awesome file converter.

AustinSoul
2009-05-23, 10:19 AM
Trader's little Helper is a godsend. Thank you so much

dealtadawn
2009-08-07, 11:16 AM
Ok, I read the first 3 pages and this last page. I am too old to read all this stuff. I did do a search here but there is already conversation about it with previous versions of the program. I need help with current version.

Problem: I decoded from flac to wav no problem except that the wav files have that snap/pop/silence between tracks. So, after reading info from first 3 pages in this thread, I used the fix SBEs and it recoded the files, but (1) there is still a discernable pause/break between tracks, (2) it added a '-fixed' to each track name and I don't want that. So, is there a way to convert from flac to wav and fix the SBE issue properly right then rather than after the fact, if so, how? If not, ok, but how do I do the fix properly so the tracks are seemless? Also, what do I do to not have the '-fixed' at the end of title?

I apologize if this has already been asked or if I've just flat out missed something in the options for decoding, fixing etc. My only excuse is old age and poor sight. :-)

cheers,
stef ~ hasn't messed with bittorts/trading/etc in probably 5 years.

roann
2009-08-08, 04:54 AM
... Problem: I decoded from flac to wav no problem except that the wav files have that snap/pop/silence between tracks. So, after reading info from first 3 pages in this thread, I used the fix SBEs and it recoded the files, but (1) there is still a discernable pause/break between tracks, (2) it added a '-fixed' to each track name and I don't want that. So, is there a way to convert from flac to wav and fix the SBE issue properly right then rather than after the fact, if so, how? If not, ok, but how do I do the fix properly so the tracks are seemless? Also, what do I do to not have the '-fixed' at the end of title? ...1) TLH does not add any snaps/pops/silence when decoding from flac (or any other supported format) to wav. You get exactly the same raw wav data that was used before it was encoded to flac.

2) If the original wav data was not cut on sector boundaries, and if there was no aligning on sector boundaries used when the wav data was encoded, TLH can fix this. But if the source comes with pauses/breaks between tracks that are not caused by SBEs you have to use an audio editor to remove the pauses/breaks.

3) The '-fixed' suffix at the end of file names cannot be automatically removed, you have to do that manually. This is on the to-do-list for the nex release of TLH.

Robert

dealtadawn
2009-08-08, 10:06 AM
Ok, thank you for the info, Robert. Realizing my last question was a blonde question. I edited the names manually. Also, I didn't mean to suggest your software was creating those pops and irregular break pts. I meant that was the way the file was when I got it.

So...

1. I converted to wav, fixed SBEs and then went to burn to dics to see how they sounded that way, but...

D1 is 744mb of data and of course my disc is a 700mb disc. It has been a while since I've done this, but that seems odd. The taper split the show into 3 discs. So, is there a chance that somehow during the conversion or fixing of SBEs extra space was added?

Or put another way, how do I test for pauses/breaks between tracks not caused by SBEs? My only guess for fixing the too much data problem is doing some combination of fixing the SBEs but removing any other extra pauses/breaks between tracks. Does that make sense?

I'm sure I am the problem. I can't fix me. But I can be guided in the correct direction. :-)

thanks,
stef

ps meantime, i'll try to get ahold of taper to hear his thoughts and/or what he did.

mike1061
2009-08-08, 07:09 PM
Is it possable you do NOT have "disk at once" clicked, in your burning program?
Most burning software has an option called "track at once" or "disk at once" Track at once puts 2 second gaps in between the tracks, Disk at once does not.
Thanks Mike

paddington
2009-08-09, 12:42 AM
Nero allows gaps in either mode (TAO, DAO). Nero Express defaults to 0 sec gaps, regular Nero Burning ROM defaults to 2 sec gaps for each compilation and you'll need to change to 0, if using that.

dealtadawn
2009-08-09, 08:59 AM
I definitely chose disc at once. I did this trying both the D1 wav files with SBEs fixed and w/o them fixed. Both are basically 744mbs and BurnAware Free would not burn them to disc. I have not heard from the taper. I'm at a loss...

dealtadawn
2009-08-09, 10:08 AM
I dunno what the heck made the difference since I only rebooted the computer, but I put the tracks for d1 in BurnAware Free, they came to 742mb and burned to disc just fine with no gaps between songs.

*bangs head against desk*

bullpinjohn
2009-09-28, 02:00 PM
I just noticed .sfv, simple file verifaction. What is this?

roann
2009-09-28, 05:36 PM
I just noticed .sfv, simple file verifaction. What is this?It's a checksum file format. Details see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_file_verification.

pmonk
2009-09-30, 03:45 PM
Next step is to add a wave splitter to track audio CD option and rename the thing tapers little helper!

peaktime
2009-09-30, 10:19 PM
I dunno what the heck made the difference since I only rebooted the computer, but I put the tracks for d1 in BurnAware Free, they came to 742mb and burned to disc just fine with no gaps between songs.

*bangs head against desk*

the reason you can put 742 MB of wav files on a 700 MB audio CD is because the wavs are converted to cda format on the fly by your burning program before they are burned. cda contains all the audio data, but less recovery info than wav files, so a cda file will always be smaller than a wav file of the same length of time. hence why your music is safer in the long run on data discs (not audio), and in FLAC.

80 minutes of wav data will fit on a 700 MB audio CD in cda, even though in wav format that's about 800 MB.

dorrcoq
2009-10-28, 09:17 AM
Any issues with Windows 7?

gmm6797
2009-10-28, 07:38 PM
I plan to find out in the next week or so, if no one answers, Ill post when I know

dorrcoq
2009-10-29, 02:53 PM
I plan to find out in the next week or so, if no one answers, Ill post when I know

I actually tried last night. seemed to work fine.

mojofilter02
2009-12-02, 07:52 PM
Trader's Little Helper's executable file is infected with Win32 Delf-MZG.trj, dated 12-03-09. It is unsafe for anyone to download or install it.

I can't be sure it is the culprit, but yesterday, all the files on my storage drive became corrupted. If not for NTFS recovery software, I would have lost over 100 gigs. Interestingly, the first folder that was destroyed was called "Torrents." I was working on files in it, and all of a sudden, it became corrupted and unreadable. Upon rebooting, CHKDSK reindexed all the files on the drive, and when it was done, I had no torrents. They are currently being restored, but it cost me a bunch of money.

Now I have no TLH on my computer, and nowhere to get a clean version of it. Mail to the author of the program bounces back as undeliverable.

retired
2009-12-02, 08:06 PM
He was just on this morning. He will see this next time he's on, but you can pm him
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/member.php?u=1284

flyingteapot
2009-12-03, 07:19 AM
Trader's Little Helper's executable file is infected with Win32 Delf-MZG.trj, dated 12-03-09. It is unsafe for anyone to download or install it.

Got the same prob although it seems it was blocked in time I haven't noticed any data loss (yet ? ) but I miss T.L.H. ; :wtf:
I can't remember but it was not the ONLY tool for checking FLAC files integrity was it ?
Any tip (or reminder) welcome !!

roann
2009-12-03, 08:32 AM
Trader's Little Helper's executable file is infected with Win32 Delf-MZG.trj, dated 12-03-09. It is unsafe for anyone to download or install it. ...This is bullshit, given that you download the installer from the TLH homepage (http://tlh.easytree.org)! The installer stays there since August 2008 with given md5 checksum. Nonetheless I just downloaded the file and a) checked the md5 against what I've downloaded - verified ok, b) checked it with Kaspersky Anti-Virus - no virus found.

mojofilter02
2009-12-03, 10:15 AM
Nice attitude, pal. Do you think I'd post it here if it was a lie? Yesterday, I got the virus notice several times on the page you linked to, when I clicked on Download, and Avast removed the program from my computer each time. However, today, I did not get the "virus found" popup, so it was an anomaly. I take offense to the fact that you were so quick to assume I am a liar. It says more about you than me...

mojofilter02
2009-12-03, 12:10 PM
Further research has shown that the most recent virus database in Avast has a bug, and it has been showing false positives, identifying many .exe and .dll files as containing Win32 Delf-MZG.trj. Their forum is swamped right now, but from what I read elsewhere, they're fixing it ASAP.

So it wasn't you, it was Avast. But I had no way to know until it became a news item today, and felt I needed to make it known that such a thing was happening.

Still, there was no need for you to be quite so obnoxious in your response.

Homebrew101
2009-12-03, 12:51 PM
one thing about avast - in my experience, you get what you pay for

mojofilter02
2009-12-03, 12:54 PM
I've been using it for years, and this was the only time it fucked up.

mike1061
2009-12-03, 11:58 PM
All things considered, your first post doesn't seem to have any questions in it. For example, what happened? Why am I getting this error message? Please help, nothing like that.
Thanks Mike

bullpinjohn
2009-12-04, 09:39 PM
When fixing SBE's is it better to fix or pad? I've been padding them. And what is the difference? Thanks.

roann
2009-12-05, 08:11 AM
When fixing SBE's is it better to fix or pad? I've been padding them. And what is the difference? Thanks.In pad mode each file will be padded either at the beginning (pre-pad) or at the end (post-pad) with silence to make it sector-aligned.

In fix mode the whole fileset is taken as a big single file. Then each track break is shifted to the next sector boundary, if needed. For example, some of the samples from the beginning of track 2 are cut and padded at the end of track 1 to make track 1 sector-aligned, then some of the samples from the beginning of track 3 are cut and padded at the end of track 2 to make track 2 sector-aligned, and so on.

When there already is silence between the tracks of a fileset (most studio recordings, for example), it doesn't matter whether you use fix or pad mode (because in both modes silence is added to silence). But if it's a recording without any silence between the tracks (most live recordings, for example), you need to use fix mode. If you would use pad mode silence would be inserted between the tracks, audible as click or pop in most cases.

roann
2009-12-10, 12:51 PM
There's a new version of Trader's Little Helper available (v2.5.0 build 164). It fixed some bugs (amongst others the one causing the Create button on the Create torrent file page to stay disabled), and it adds a few minor things due to user requests (as always details can be found in the changelog that the installer saves to the installation folder).

You can get the new release at the TLH homepage (http://tlh.easytree.org) or via the Check for update function of TLH (Help menu > Check for update).

Sorry that it took me so long to put this together ...

Robert

wranglerspace
2009-12-10, 12:55 PM
hey man I just started using TLH about 3 months ago and I just wanted to say thank you

this thing has streamlined my audio work that I do for my myself and my friends

peace
:)

woodstockfan
2009-12-12, 02:41 PM
I want to say thank you too! Trader's Little Helper is one of the coolest free programs out there - maybe the coolest. :) It was the first thing I installed with my new pc. It works fine with Windows 7 so far - as far as going from flac to wav and back.

I'm sure we could list hundreds of features to add to it, but I bet the programmer has a life too. ;)

I'm into Internet ads, so if it were me, I'd put text ads of music collector software on it.

Thanks again!!

roann
2009-12-13, 03:29 AM
... I'm sure we could list hundreds of features to add to it, but I bet the programmer has a life too. ;) ...Sometimes ;-) ... What features do you want me to add to the list?

Duckman2
2009-12-14, 06:51 PM
I'm into Internet ads, so if it were me, I'd put text ads of music collector software on it.

Thanks again!!

1st off, the program is awesome, I use it all the time. Thank's! 2nd - Internet ads!?!?!?! Woof!!!!! Forget about it......:nono: ... :vino:

woodstockfan
2009-12-16, 06:04 AM
Here's a crazy wish list..

It'd be cool if eac (secure ripping) were incorporated to it + it would burn cd's too (hey, why not have it give me pepperoni pizza while we're at it!). The ripping aspect would be best as then it'd be almost stand alone.

Especially as the newest eac doesn't work with Windows 7, its a good time.

And then torrent. I don't expect it to replace UTorrent, but that's the list of what I do - rip, convert to flac, seed shows and burn them.

And if it stays the way it is, that's also great - its awesome as it.

Eventually I gotta get one of those music collector programs, but that's a big project.. :)

IrisRose
2009-12-23, 10:41 PM
Okay, I need a little help with the latest version of tlh. Create torrent.
I select my directory. " Downloads as folder" now defaults to the folder name. That's good.
Peers source: single tracker. Uncheck private torrent.
Select my tracker.
Ignore comment.
Torrent file to create: I select the folder that the flac files are in. For save in: I leave the folder where the older torrent files are. I save, but 'create' remains greyed out. I cannot get to that step. Help please? There is no help file in the latest version of TLH.
Thanks,
"

roann
2009-12-24, 12:56 AM
Okay, I need a little help with the latest version of tlh. Create torrent.
I select my directory. " Downloads as folder" now defaults to the folder name. That's good.
Peers source: single tracker. Uncheck private torrent.
Select my tracker.
Ignore comment.
Torrent file to create: I select the folder that the flac files are in. For save in: I leave the folder where the older torrent files are. I save, but 'create' remains greyed out. I cannot get to that step. Help please? There is no help file in the latest version of TLH.
Thanks,
"Your are not using the *latest* release of TLH (v2.5.0 build 164, released December 10th this year) because the latest one fixes the bug causing the Create button on the Create torrent file page to stay disabled.

You can get the new release at the TLH homepage (http://tlh.easytree.org) or via the Check for update function of TLH (Help menu > Check for update).

Robert

ColinM
2009-12-24, 11:45 AM
snip... I save, but 'create' remains greyed out. I cannot get to that step. Help please? There is no help file in the latest version of TLH.
Thanks,
"

Setup one tracker to be a default tracker, then the create option will appear. Ore select another folder to create a .torrent from, then go back and select the folder you actually want to use. Then create will be available.

IrisRose
2009-12-25, 01:08 AM
A great big thanks to both of you! Success with my torrents now.

Waka64
2010-01-26, 05:24 AM
Hi,

can anyone tell me why must we use 0x40000, why can't we use 0x30000, 0x50000, 0x20000 or etc... 0x40000 mean which address or ??

roann
2010-01-26, 09:03 AM
Hi,

can anyone tell me why must we use 0x40000, why can't we use 0x30000, 0x50000, 0x20000 or etc... 0x40000 mean which address or ??What have those hexadecimal values to do with Trader's Little Helper? What are you talking about actually?

dokkendude
2010-01-28, 05:55 PM
last month having problems with TLH (v2.5.0 build 164) running win xp home, sp3
when I tell it to make a ffp it hangs and never finishes
I can abort and start over and it'll hang on a different file
it has no problems making the flac files or making a md5
just hangs up when making a ffp

any idea's? been using this program for years & love it!

mike1061
2010-01-29, 12:29 AM
Do you have anything else running at he same time? Is it possable you are over loading the CPU, or memory? The task manager will tell you if those are overloaded.
What was the last thing you changed? I'm talking about computer settings, adding or deleting programs. Stuff like that.
Is the harddrive your working with nearly full?
How about spyware?
Those are the type of things I see causing freeze ups like that.
Thanks Mike

roann
2010-01-29, 06:20 AM
last month having problems with TLH (v2.5.0 build 164) running win xp home, sp3
when I tell it to make a ffp it hangs and never finishes
I can abort and start over and it'll hang on a different file
it has no problems making the flac files or making a md5
just hangs up when making a ffp ...The procedures for creating checksum files weren't changed/reworked with the latest update from v2.4.1 to v2.5.0. Does this problem happen all the time or only occasionally when you create a ffp file?

Robert

dokkendude
2010-01-29, 07:31 AM
The procedures for creating checksum files weren't changed/reworked with the latest update from v2.4.1 to v2.5.0. Does this problem happen all the time or only occasionally when you create a ffp file?

Robert

once in awhile it works fine, I had this problem with the last build too
it's got me stumped

dokkendude
2010-01-29, 07:41 AM
Do you have anything else running at he same time? Is it possable you are over loading the CPU, or memory? The task manager will tell you if those are overloaded.
What was the last thing you changed? I'm talking about computer settings, adding or deleting programs. Stuff like that.
Is the harddrive your working with nearly full?
How about spyware?
Those are the type of things I see causing freeze ups like that.
Thanks Mike

hd isn't full, not sure about overloading cpu, memory, cpu usage toggles between 2 & 7%, there are alot of stuff listed in processes
haven't really changed anything

roann
2010-01-29, 11:28 AM
I'll try to build a special release for testing so we can see what metaflac.exe (comes with the official flac.exe) puts out when doing the ffp job - probably this will give us a clue what's going wrong. Unfortunately this needs some time to code, and I won't get it together over this weekend.

Robert

jonohull
2010-02-22, 01:00 PM
I've got a little problem. I made an ffp file, but one of my flacs gave me something like "Header of file x is corrupt, {stored fingerprint is zero}" What does that mean and how can I fix it?

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out. The header was all screwed up, so I used the fixwav utility from taperssection.com and re-encoded, and it's all good now.

Thulani
2010-03-03, 11:39 AM
Just want to report a small bug. When you try to decode/test a file which has letters with diacritics, the program will report the file as corrupt. No problem if I replace the diacritic with a letter without diacritic.

roann
2010-03-03, 12:23 PM
Just want to report a small bug. When you try to decode/test a file which has letters with diacritics, the program will report the file as corrupt. No problem if I replace the diacritic with a letter without diacritic.There are a lot of diacritics of there. Can you please name a few that TLH doesn't work with?

Thulani
2010-03-03, 12:36 PM
I only tried with é and ö.

roann
2010-03-03, 01:09 PM
I only tried with é and ö.TLH works fine with these, at least on my side (flac>wav and wav>flac). Do you have the latest release (v2.5.0 build 160) installed?

Thulani
2010-03-03, 02:47 PM
I think so. My build is 164 not 160.

roann
2010-03-04, 06:44 AM
I think so. My build is 164 not 160. :redface: Right, latest release is v2.5.0 build 164 (I should know because I coded it). Sorry for the wrong info ... senile dementia, I think.

Sabresfan
2010-03-06, 06:14 PM
Just downloaded TLH...Is there much need for anything else such as the Winamp I'm using to decode FLAC to WAV? Otherwise, this program looks pretty simple to manuever through. :)

Seth01
2010-03-07, 04:12 AM
Just downloaded TLH...Is there much need for anything else such as the Winamp I'm using to decode FLAC to WAV? Otherwise, this program looks pretty simple to manuever through. :)

You've got everything you need in TLH for that. No need for winamp other than to play your files. And why not just play the .flacs directly if you're not burning the discs? You'll enjoy it.

Sabresfan
2010-03-07, 10:18 AM
You've got everything you need in TLH for that. No need for winamp other than to play your files. And why not just play the .flacs directly if you're not burning the discs? You'll enjoy it.Thanks Seth for the reply. Still trying to find my way around this torrent game.lol!:)

mike1061
2010-03-08, 11:32 PM
Foobar2000 plays flac files. You can store the flacs on DVDr's or just on your harddrive.
If you go crazy like the rest of us, you'll need more than one harddrive.
Thanks Mike

Sabresfan
2010-03-09, 05:19 PM
Foobar2000 plays flac files. You can store the flacs on DVDr's or just on your harddrive.
If you go crazy like the rest of us, you'll need more than one harddrive.
Thanks MikeThanks mike...I bought a 1TB external drive(WD) It's great for storage.The torrent bug has set in. lol! More downloads,more downloads!:D

toaster4
2010-03-16, 05:27 PM
Hello,

I am a noob to TLH, but have been using various trading software for about 10 years. I had been using windows xp until recently, but upgraded to windows 7 (64-bit) and now my older tools no longer work, so I gave TLH a try.

I'm in the process of reorganizing my collection and pulling files off old discs and moving them to an external hard drive.

My problem is with verification of md5 files. Files that verify as OK using md5sum cause errors in TLH with a "does not exist or cannot be opened" error.

Same fileset, same locations, etc.

With TLH:
----------
Checksum file 'D:\shnflac\badhat1994-09-10\badhat94-09-10d2.md5'

Line 1: file ' badhat94-09-10d2t01.shn' does not exist or cannot be opened.
Line 2: file ' badhat94-09-10d2t02.shn' does not exist or cannot be opened.
Line 3: file ' badhat94-09-10d2t03.shn' does not exist or cannot be opened.
Line 4: file ' badhat94-09-10d2t04.shn' does not exist or cannot be opened.
Line 5: file ' badhat94-09-10d2t05.shn' does not exist or cannot be opened.
Line 6: file ' badhat94-09-10d2t06.shn' does not exist or cannot be opened.
Line 7: file ' badhat94-09-10d2t07.shn' does not exist or cannot be opened.

There were errors.
----------

With md5sum:
----------
D:\shnflac\badhat1994-09-10>md5sum -c badhat94-09-10d2.md5
badhat94-09-10d2t01.shn: OK
badhat94-09-10d2t02.shn: OK
badhat94-09-10d2t03.shn: OK
badhat94-09-10d2t04.shn: OK
badhat94-09-10d2t05.shn: OK
badhat94-09-10d2t06.shn: OK
badhat94-09-10d2t07.shn: OK
----------

I created checksums for the files and they match what is in the md5's.

After playing with it and looking at everything, the errors that I see can be isolated to 1 thing, an asterisk (1 per line) in the md5 file. The filesets that I have that work ok under both follow a format of 'checksum *filename' whereas the ones that TLH doesnt work on are just 'checksum filename'. I read the guide posted earlier in this thread on checksums, but the asterisk was not always present. tons of md5's on db.etree.org do not have them (like this ones for the show in this example at http://db.etree.org/md5view.php?md5key=88419).

I guess my real question is whether this is a bug or an intentional choice. I don't think I'd like to edit hundreds of older .md5 files just to have them work with TLH, but if it's an error on my part or something, please let me know so I can continue to use this program, its awesome.

Thanks guys,
toaster

toaster4
2010-03-16, 07:11 PM
Also, I am using the latest version, 2.5.0 (164)

lintoni
2010-03-16, 08:35 PM
...whereas the ones that TLH doesnt work on are just 'checksum filename'.

I'm guessing that the md5 files are not in the same directory as the files to be checked? You have a folder badhat1994-09-10 that has subfolders for each individual disc, eg d1 and d2? The md5 checksum files for each disc are both in the main folder? If so, if you moved them (the md5 checksum files) into the respective folders and then checked them with TLH, I think you'll find that they work ok.

(I think, though I'm not entirely sure, that)The asterisk acts as to tell the checksum part of TLH to also check for subdirectories that may exist in the main folder, as well as checking at the level of the main folder.

toaster4
2010-03-17, 08:42 AM
Hi lintoni, thanks for your response.

All of the files are in the same directory, there are no subdirectories involved in this one.

I can probably do some screenshots later, but for now I'll just copy/paste command prompt text.

----------
D:\shnflac\badhat1994-09-10>dir

Directory of D:\shnflac\badhat1994-09-10

03/16/2010 10:17 AM <DIR> .
03/16/2010 10:17 AM <DIR> ..
06/04/2001 03:12 PM 537 badhat94-09-10.txt
03/16/2010 05:13 PM 522 badhat94-09-10d1.md5
06/01/2001 09:29 AM 9,291,581 badhat94-09-10d1t01.shn
06/01/2001 09:27 AM 57,237,065 badhat94-09-10d1t02.shn
06/01/2001 09:27 AM 38,029,605 badhat94-09-10d1t03.shn
06/01/2001 09:22 AM 34,337,337 badhat94-09-10d1t04.shn
06/01/2001 09:23 AM 17,417,285 badhat94-09-10d1t05.shn
06/01/2001 09:24 AM 52,847,225 badhat94-09-10d1t06.shn
06/01/2001 09:28 AM 41,631,473 badhat94-09-10d1t07.shn
06/01/2001 09:25 AM 20,781,517 badhat94-09-10d1t08.shn
06/01/2001 09:25 AM 24,500,565 badhat94-09-10d1t09.shn
06/01/2001 10:02 AM 406 badhat94-09-10d2.md5
06/01/2001 09:32 AM 16,303,449 badhat94-09-10d2t01.shn
06/01/2001 09:35 AM 102,499,229 badhat94-09-10d2t02.shn
06/01/2001 09:29 AM 30,203,937 badhat94-09-10d2t03.shn
06/01/2001 09:30 AM 27,614,021 badhat94-09-10d2t04.shn
06/01/2001 09:31 AM 36,921,217 badhat94-09-10d2t05.shn
06/01/2001 09:36 AM 42,521,637 badhat94-09-10d2t06.shn
06/01/2001 09:32 AM 60,340,357 badhat94-09-10d2t07.shn
19 File(s) 612,478,965 bytes
2 Dir(s) 70,231,306,240 bytes free
----------
So you can see, the *.md5 files are in the same directory as the *.shn files are.

I'm running the same md5 with both md5sum and TLH the same way, the same exact md5 file, it's just that one passes and the other doesn't. The files are good though, I know that because (to use an example) if i take a line from the md5 such as:
a673de680149885087984b512cfc46ac badhat94-09-10d2t01.shn
(which checks ok in md5sum and fails in TLH)
and change it to:
a673de680149885087984b512cfc46ac *badhat94-09-10d2t01.shn
It will check as OK in both md5sum and TLH.

Thanks again for any insight anyone has,
toaster

roann
2010-03-17, 10:48 AM
@toaster4:

Do you have the latest release (v2.5.0 build 164) installed? If not, please upgrade (http://tlh.easytree.org).

There's no definite standard how a line in a md5 checksum file should look like, unfortunately. Most used is <checksum><space><asterisk><filename>. Sometimes the space is missing, sometimes '#' is used instead of '*', sometimes the asterisk is missing (to name just a few other structures around).

The asterisk is used to tell where the filename begins. If the asterisk is missing the space takes the place as delimiter. This introduces a problem: If a filename does not have any leading spaces there may be as much spaces between checksum and filename as you want. But if leading spaces in filenames are permitted, you need to specify how many spaces are used as delimiters to recognize filenames properly.

TLH assumes that leading spaces in a filename are permitted. If there is no asterisk found the first space following the md5 checksum is taken as delimiter and anything following that first space as filename. In other words: If there is more than one space between checksum and filename TLH reads a filename with at least one leading space. But if the filename on the hd does not have any leading spaces and a md5 creation tool was used that puts say five spaces between checksum and name the verification will fail.

Robert

deadhoarse
2010-03-21, 12:33 PM
I'm having some issues with Trader's Little Helper on my new installation of Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

I installed the latest version, 2.5.0 (Build 164). The first thing I noticed is that drag and drop functionality does not work, but I can add .wav files through the "Add..." option.

After encoding is done, I get two errors:
http://i44.tinypic.com/343gs9u.jpg
then
http://i43.tinypic.com/vem5xl.jpg

At this point, TLH seems to hang, but all files have been correctly processed, and the verification file has been generated and verified successfully. Any ideas?

roann
2010-03-22, 01:20 PM
(1) Drag & Drop:
Options > Preferences > Shell integration, mark Integrate TLH into Windows Explorer, press Apply, close TLH, reboot. If it still doesn't work, go to Options > Restore shell integration, close TLH, reboot.

(2) Error There isn't anything to save (process log is empty):
This comes up if you press Save and there's nothing logged (it's only coded in the procedure called when that button is pressed). When processing a task the Save button is disabled so this error message cannot be displayed.

(3) Error Cannot focus a disabled or invisible windows:
Did you try to drag/drop or add files via Windows Explorer context menu when TLH already is processing a task?

deadhoarse
2010-03-22, 08:56 PM
(1) Drag & Drop:
Options > Preferences > Shell integration, mark Integrate TLH into Windows Explorer, press Apply, close TLH, reboot. If it still doesn't work, go to Options > Restore shell integration, close TLH, reboot.

Thanks, this did the trick for the drag and drop.

(2) Error There isn't anything to save (process log is empty):
This comes up if you press Save and there's nothing logged (it's only coded in the procedure called when that button is pressed). When processing a task the Save button is disabled so this error message cannot be displayed.

I am not hitting save when this happens. I hit encode, it encodes the files correctly, then this message pops up immediately afterwards. Here's a screenshot where you can see that no errors occurred in the processing, but this error still pops up. Also, two wierd messages appear in the files window...#source: and #post.
http://i41.tinypic.com/2m5xand.jpg

(3) Error Cannot focus a disabled or invisible windows:
Did you try to drag/drop or add files via Windows Explorer context menu when TLH already is processing a task?

Same with this message...after I say OK to the first error, this one pops up immediately afterwards. I didn't drag additional files to the window during processing, this error is right after the initial encoding is done.

I did try the good old reinstall as well to no avail. Thanks.

deadhoarse
2010-03-22, 10:49 PM
I made a quick video of what's happening.
http://sites.google.com/site/deadhoarse/home/Sequence01.wmv

roann
2010-03-23, 09:56 AM
I made a quick video of what's happening...Wow, thanks a lot! This _really_ helps since it answers all the questions I had (though you had described the issues in detail earlier).

... Here's a screenshot where you can see that no errors occurred in the processing, but this error still pops up. Also, two wierd messages appear in the files window...#source: and #post...These weird messages are debug messages used during the development of v2.4.1.160 (the release before the last). Somehow I lost the notes I made when I detected this issue. I never got the debug output again on my system. And the weirdest thing is: though I searched and tested parts of the code over and over again I couldn't find the lines in code. Twilight zone...

Over the weekend (if not earlier) I'll try again to find the debug messages (should work this time with the help of your video). I hope the "undiscoverable" code lines / commands somehow are the reason for the issues you described, but we'll see...

Robert

deadhoarse
2010-03-23, 06:13 PM
I made a quick video of what's happening...Wow, thanks a lot! This _really_ helps since it answers all the questions I had (though you had described the issues in detail earlier).

I appreciate you looking into this. Something else to note...I just installed the same version on a Windows 7 32bit Virtual Machine, and there is no issue there. It only happens on my new 64bit installation. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help test if you come up with something.

Twilight zone...

Wierd...I was reading a thread about a sale on a Twilight Zone box set when I popped open a window to check for a reply here.
http://i39.tinypic.com/11908pc.jpg

roann
2010-03-24, 11:50 AM
Just upped the new version 2.5.1 (build 165) (get it here (http://tlh.easytree.org), or use TLH's build-in Check for update function in the Help menu). This release fixes the issues deadhoarse had reported (see posts above; thanks again for all the details).

:cheers:

deadhoarse
2010-03-24, 10:50 PM
Just upped the new version 2.5.1 (build 165) (get it here (http://tlh.easytree.org), or use TLH's build-in Check for update function in the Help menu). This release fixes the issues deadhoarse had reported (see posts above; thanks again for all the details).

:cheers:

The new update worked for me, thanks! The quick turnaround time on this fix was quite impressive.

fogovonslack
2010-03-26, 04:32 PM
Hi Folks--

I've installed trader's little helper 2.5.1 from http://tlh.easytree.org/. I'm running XP SP3 on an AMD 64 with 2GB of ram.

When I try to use TLH to convert shn>flac, it hangs indefinitely, usually on the first file. In the process log, I see, e.g., "gd84-03-28d01t05.shn: intializing......." and the stream of dots just gets longer and longer. On one occasion it converted a few files and the process showed "converting" with a steadily increasing percentage before getting stuck again at "intializing......" I've tried right-clicking on the files I want to convert in windows explorer, I've tried dragging and dropping from windows explorer, and I've tried using the "Add" button within TLH to select the files to convert, all to no avail. I've also rebooted between each attempt to convert.

Does TLH have some kind of error log so I can try to figure out what's hanging it up?

The software page warns not to "replace any of the console applications installed by the setup file with older or newer releases. This may cause Trader's Little Helper to malfunction." I haven't replaced any of them, but it is possible that the versions of FLAC and LAME I had already installed were newer than the versions TLH looks for. I can't tell from the download page which versions TLH requires.

Thanks for the help.

roann
2010-03-26, 05:55 PM
...When I try to use TLH to convert shn>flac, it hangs indefinitely, usually on the first file. In the process log, I see, e.g., "gd84-03-28d01t05.shn: intializing......." and the stream of dots just gets longer and longer. On one occasion it converted a few files and the process showed "converting" with a steadily increasing percentage before getting stuck again at "intializing......" I've tried right-clicking on the files I want to convert in windows explorer, I've tried dragging and dropping from windows explorer, and I've tried using the "Add" button within TLH to select the files to convert, all to no avail. I've also rebooted between each attempt to convert...Format conversion definitely works. The way files were added to the list is without influence to the conversion procedure.

...Does TLH have some kind of error log so I can try to figure out what's hanging it up?...Errors are reported in the process log. If TLH hangs it cannot log anything, of course.

...The software page warns not to "replace any of the console applications installed by the setup file with older or newer releases. This may cause Trader's Little Helper to malfunction." I haven't replaced any of them, but it is possible that the versions of FLAC and LAME I had already installed were newer than the versions TLH looks for. I can't tell from the download page which versions TLH requires...TLH only "sees" and uses helper files that are located in its installation folder.

fogovonslack
2010-03-26, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. Any suggestions for figuring out why it's hanging up?

fogovonslack
2010-03-26, 09:09 PM
More information: if I open Windows Task Manager while Trader's Little Helper is initializing and kill shorten.exe, then it starts converting and soon thereafter I get the "successfully converted" message. With each new file, I get a new instance of shorten.exe, and if I kill each instance of shorten as it pops up, the file will convert.

roann
2010-03-27, 11:50 AM
More information: if I open Windows Task Manager while Trader's Little Helper is initializing and kill shorten.exe, then it starts converting and soon thereafter I get the "successfully converted" message. With each new file, I get a new instance of shorten.exe, and if I kill each instance of shorten as it pops up, the file will convert.There has to be one instance of shorten.exe running, otherwise a shn>flac conversion is _not_ possible. If you really have to kill an instance of shorten.exe to get things working there has to be another instance running already. Without any specific information about your system/installation/settings/programs it's nearly impossible to tell what's going on.

fogovonslack
2010-03-29, 10:20 PM
There has to be one instance of shorten.exe running, otherwise a shn>flac conversion is _not_ possible. If you really have to kill an instance of shorten.exe to get things working there has to be another instance running already. Without any specific information about your system/installation/settings/programs it's nearly impossible to tell what's going on.

I can only see one instance of shorten running. When I kill it, a new one starts up and TLH continues working.

What system/installation/settings/programs could I provide that would help diagnose the problem?

fogovonslack
2010-03-29, 10:34 PM
Yet another clue: TLH will generate st5s for FLAC files but not SHN.

roann
2010-03-30, 09:41 AM
@fogovonslack:

Please stop telling all this nonsense. I do _not_ believe anything of what you've posted above.

Crappy installations of various programs plus senseless windows settings may cause TLH to malfunction, of course. And TLH is not bug-free for sure. But I do not think that's what is wrong on your side. So I won't show an interest on future posts of you in this thread.

The only way you possibly may convince me of what you've posted is to provide screen _videos_ of what happens on your system.

fogovonslack
2010-03-31, 09:20 PM
@fogovonslack:

Please stop telling all this nonsense. I do _not_ believe anything of what you've posted above.

Kinda rude, don't you think?

Mission accomplished: I won't bother you any more.

roann
2010-04-15, 10:41 AM
Only for users running Windows Vista

I don't have Vista anymore, so please do me a favour and test TLH as follows:

take a valid/decodable flac file (file size doesn't matter)
rename that file to tést.flac (that "french accent" is important)
open TLH, go to Analysis > Test encoded audio files
add tést.flac and press the Test button

What's the result? Do you get a tested ok (file is decodable without error), or do you get a file is corrupt, or decoder does not work properly?

Thanks in advance, really appreciate your help.

Aahh, and don't forget to rename the flac file back to its original name.

Robert

Hell Yeah
2010-04-15, 02:06 PM
WOW! I didn't know until now that you made TLH. I've been using it for years but never knew it was a member of TTD that created it.

Nice prog and works great with Windows 7 :thumbsup

Just one question. Is there a way to save the fingerprints it generates? I used to be able copy and paste but that doesn't seem to work w/Windows 7 for some reason. I think there should be an option for it to save a txt file for fingerprints automatically, if there is, I haven't figured it out yet :lol:

roann
2010-04-16, 02:28 AM
WOW!...Nice prog and works great with Windows 7...Actually there is a problem with Windows 7 (not with XP or earlier). But I don't know whether this problem occurs under _Vista_. I need to know for debugging, that's why I asked for help in my last post (see above). Any Vista users out there???

...Is there a way to save the fingerprints it generates?...You're kidding, aren't you? There's a Save button to the right of the process log. Left-click it with the mouse, and a dialog for saving the checksum file will open.

... I used to be able copy and paste but that doesn't seem to work w/Windows 7 for some reason...On my side the usual copy & paste works fine with Window 7. But there's another way to copy the process log. Right-click the Save button with the mouse, and a popup-menu will open (see attachment). Click on Copy to clipboard, and now you can paste the contents of the checksum file wherever you want (using Ctrl-V or right mouse button as usual).

...I think there should be an option for it to save a txt file for fingerprints automatically, if there is, I haven't figured it out yet :lol:...Actually there is. Go to Options > Preferences > Create checksum file, check the box Save automatically as '<...>', and press Apply.

Robert

tonebloke
2010-04-17, 02:19 AM
Only for users running Windows Vista

I don't have Vista anymore, so please do me a favour and test TLH as follows:

take a valid/decodable flac file (file size doesn't matter)
rename that file to tést.flac (that "french accent" is important)
open TLH, go to Analysis > Test encoded audio files
add tést.flac and press the Test button

What's the result? Do you get a tested ok (file is decodable without error), or do you get a file is corrupt, or decoder does not work properly?

Thanks in advance, really appreciate your help.

Aahh, and don't forget to rename the flac file back to its original name.

Robert

Hi Robert.
Am running Vista. Did this test and got "decoder does not work properly" result. Using build "160" at the moment. Should I upgrade. Made sure the test file had the french accent.
T.

roann
2010-04-17, 10:16 AM
Hi Robert.
Am running Vista. Did this test and got "decoder does not work properly" result. Using build "160" at the moment. Should I upgrade. Made sure the test file had the french accent.
T.Thanks very much for the info!

Do *not* upgrade. All the last releases show this file is corrupt, or decoder does not work properly result if Windows Vista or Windows 7 is running (no problems with Windows XP or earlier).

Next week at latest (don't know, maybe tomorrow/Sunday evening it'll all be done, but you never know) there will be a new TLH release that fixes the bug (it isn't a TLH bug, actually - Microsoft seems to have changed something in the console window). As usual I'll post a message in this forum when the new version is available.

Robert

roann
2010-04-18, 07:36 AM
There's a new version of TLH available: v2.6.0 build 168. Please upgrade, in particular if you're running Windows Vista or Windows 7.

Microsoft has changed whatever in connection with the charset in the console window of Windows Vista and Windows 7 (still don't know exactly what was changed; somebody out there who could shed a light on this?). Under Vista / Seven this change causes a wrong test result (file is corrupt, or decoder does not work properly) if a _flac_ file is tested (encoding wav files to flac format with option Test encoded files checked; re-encoding flac files with option Test re-encoded files checked; testing flac files in the Analysis section) _and_ the name of the file contains letters with diacritical marks (accented letters, for example). This "TLH bug" has been fixed.

Due to user requests there's a change on the "Create checksum file" page. Now, no matter what type of files were added to the file list, only files with file extensions appropriate to the type of checksum file selected will be displayed and processed (if .txt, .jpg and .flac files were added and the type of the checksum file to create is .ffp, only .flac files will be displayed and processed, for example). Note that the files not displayed (if any) are being hold in the background. So if the type of the checksum file to create is changed, again _all_ files added will be taken into account to display the list of appropriate files (if you change to type .md5 in the example above all added files will be displayed, for example).

In the Create checksum file section of the Preferences dialog three changeable default settings were added. They control how to proceed when sources are added from within Windows Explorer: clear existing file list before adding, include subfolders when adding a folder, automatically start processing after adding sources. Use the second one with care: it could take a long time if you want to add only files from the root of your 1 TB external hard disk and the Include subfolders option is checked.

And for those who use TLH to encode to / decode from MP3 format: lame.exe has been updated to the latest release v3.98.4.

Robert

tonebloke
2010-04-19, 12:49 AM
Thanks Rob. Will try it out tonight.

tonebloke
2010-04-19, 07:03 AM
Hi Robert.
T.

Hey Robert. Did this test again using "Build 168" and all is good. Thanks.

mookieguy
2010-04-19, 10:00 AM
forgive me if this has been covered, but where can i download the latest build? i've tried http://tlh.easytree.org but that site just times out for me. thanks, it's a great lil program!

roann
2010-04-19, 10:24 AM
forgive me if this has been covered, but where can i download the latest build? i've tried http://tlh.easytree.org but that site just times out for me. thanks, it's a great lil program!No problems on my side to open http://tlh.easytree.org. This is the only place to get the latest build (alternatively you can use TLH to download the latest one (see Help menu) but the Check for update function also uses the above url). If all attempts fail just email me and I'll send you the installer file.

mookieguy
2010-04-19, 11:53 AM
email sent. thanks!

Thulani
2010-04-19, 01:03 PM
Roann why don't you publish your program on a site like Softpedia?

Toadinohio
2010-04-28, 08:52 AM
Just wanted to thank you for making TLH and continuing to support it.
I have used it for years and have never had a problem-
I have also recommended it to many people who also love it!
Thanks for all the work on this wonderful and convenient tool!

Toad

roann
2010-04-28, 09:20 AM
Just wanted to thank you for making TLH and continuing to support it.
I have used it for years and have never had a problem-
I have also recommended it to many people who also love it!
Thanks for all the work on this wonderful and convenient tool!

Toad:redface: Thank you for standing ovations!

cutz
2010-07-05, 06:28 PM
Does Traders Little Helper exist any more? I google it, and it takes me to AVS? Got a new compuer and want to use TLH. I've used it on my old computer and would like to use it again. I did DL AVS, but i can't figure it out. FRUSTARTED!! I would appreciate if anyone could post a link to TLH, because i can't find it.

Thanks....................CUTZ

cutz
2010-07-05, 09:38 PM
Never mind, as i was able to find TLH.

Evange1ine
2010-07-11, 02:45 PM
Just wanted to add my thanks for this extremely useful utility, you rock :D

lolive
2010-07-15, 09:36 AM
i use TLH may be one time per day ...
merci beaucoup for this essential software for live sounds uploaders

unclejehu
2010-07-21, 02:37 PM
Thank you very much for this information.:clap:

2ndapink
2010-09-06, 10:02 AM
I have TLH and use it quite often. Recently, however, I aquired several aiff files and TLH doesn't seem to support that format. Is there a plug in for that or another program similar to TLH that's free?

Thulani
2010-09-06, 11:38 AM
Foobar2000 but you will need to download the flac/mp3 encoders yourself. For WAV you don't need anything.

feralicious
2010-09-12, 07:02 PM
I'm wondering why flac.exe is trying to connect out of the TLH folder to the internet via uTorrent when using TLH? I ran it to check ffp and got a message from Webroot Internet Security firewall about it. Now uTorrent can no longer connect to the internet! It says that the tracker of what I'm downloading is offline, but I checked with an admin on that site and they have no tracker problems. It's also now telling me my port isn't open when I know it is. All these changes happened immediately after using TLH and it wanting to connect to the internet.

I went into Webroot and deleted all definitions relating to TLH, flac and shn, closed it up, then flac.exe tried to connect even though I wasn't running TLH, which is the prog that is making flac.exe try to connect.

I can't live without uTorrent! Ack!

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/3842/tlhmsg1.jpg (http://img291.imageshack.us/i/tlhmsg1.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

So why is that happening? Just to update flac?

Does anyone know how to fix this in Webroot? It's more confusing than my last security software but it sure is better! Off to their forums now... :wave:

feralicious
2010-09-12, 07:14 PM
Whoa!!! So I decided to try one more time to delete all definitions related to TLH, flac, shn and uTorrent to start fresh. After deleting flac.exe rule it asked to connect again from TLH but this time it wanted to connect through WINDOWS SIDEBAR!!! What does TLH have to do with Windows Sidebar??? I can kind of understand if it were updating via uTorrent, but sidebar.exe??? And why does TLH keep trying to get flac.exe connect to internet even when I'm not using it???

What is going on here???

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/922/tlhmsg3.jpg (http://img266.imageshack.us/i/tlhmsg3.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Thulani
2010-09-13, 02:26 AM
Never happened to me. Scan for viruses and other things.

Roann can you make your program pinable in the Windows 7 taskbar?

roann
2010-09-13, 04:39 AM
@ feralicious:

:wtf: Never experienced this weirdness... totally confusing, especially as µTorrent is reported to be involved. :hmm: Things I'd try to localize the problem:

- Check for viruses and other malware.
- Check whether there are any instances of flac.exe running when TLH is closed.
- Check whether .flac file extension is associated with µTorrent.
- Uninstall Webroot, TLH and µTorrent completey. Re-install all three programs (latest TLH release here (http://tlh.easytree.org)).

@ kill_them_all1000:

You can pin TLH to the Windows 7 taskbar manually (see here (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Pin-a-program-to-the-taskbar), for example).