PDA

View Full Version : Trader's Little Helper

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

roann
2006-05-20, 07:45 AM
I made a bit of a tutorial for this great tool here:
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17951Great job Five :thumbsup May I use parts of your tutorial for the help file that will come with the next release of Trader's Little Helper?

Five
2006-05-20, 02:35 PM
yes, absolutely!

ohkeepa
2006-05-23, 02:39 PM
there ya go!

annajoy
2006-06-07, 02:09 PM
I installed this yesterday...and it wasn't right when it did install...the icon didn't show up...but when I went to uninstall it, it showed up on the list...when I went to press uninstall it wouldn't because it said the file was croupted...sooo....I'm trying to figure out a way to get it off my comp so I can re-install it and get this Elliott Smith torrent up and running...any suggestions?

roann
2006-06-08, 10:17 AM
I installed this yesterday...and it wasn't right when it did install...the icon didn't show up...but when I went to uninstall it, it showed up on the list...when I went to press uninstall it wouldn't because it said the file was croupted...sooo....I'm trying to figure out a way to get it off my comp so I can re-install it and get this Elliott Smith torrent up and running...any suggestions?annajoy please check your inbox. I've sent you a PM.

range_hood
2006-07-02, 06:02 AM
Got a problem with flac files using the shell extension. It just gave me just three options to choose, a "List index out of bounds [0]" - error and blank pages in TLH with no files added.
After messing aound in the registry and Un/re installing some flac related programs I came to the conclusion that winamp is somehow messing up the shell extension created by TLH.
Someday I got winamp + TLH running together without errors, but don't know in which order I installed the programs.
I keep trying with different versions of winamp.

Any suggestions?
thanks
richard

range_hood
2006-07-03, 04:43 AM
Ok, installed winamp unchecking "associate with audio files" - it works now together with TLH.
thanks

roann
2006-07-03, 06:36 AM
Got a problem with flac files using the shell extension. It just gave me just three options to choose, a "List index out of bounds [0]" - error and blank pages in TLH with no files added.
After messing aound in the registry and Un/re installing some flac related programs I came to the conclusion that winamp is somehow messing up the shell extension created by TLH.
Someday I got winamp + TLH running together without errors, but don't know in which order I installed the programs.
I keep trying with different versions of winamp.

Any suggestions?
thanks
richardUnfortunately the Winamp installer overwrites existing audio files associations in the registry. The installer of Trader's Little Helper does not overwrite / alter registry entries created by other audio programs but adds new entries. So if you install Winamp first and TLH second there won't be any problems.

Robert

TheResidentEvil
2006-07-03, 02:33 PM
my only complaint is that when i created MD5s for FLAC files, the program will not verify the MD5s. I had to use FLACtester. Any chance of this being added?

Five
2006-07-03, 02:41 PM
md5 and FLAC "test" mode are two completely different tests

both are working correctly on my TLH installation

mike1061
2006-07-03, 11:11 PM
When you open the program, the tab on the left "varify checksum files"
Then click "add" and find the flac fingerprints (Use the dropdown window, sometimes you have to look several folders deep), click "ok" then click "varify"
It's works fine. I use it several times a week.
Thanks Mike

Edit: The exact same steps work for MD5's.

Speedy71471
2006-07-10, 12:50 AM
Greetings all -

Love TLH... replaces a lot of things I was doing in CMD files.

One thing I did observe... the "test" feature doesn't really work with Shorten files. TLH will report that a corrupt SHN file will decode properly even though it actually had a corrupt block and aborts (you can see the message using command-line shntool).

Dunno if anyone noticed (I know most folks use FLAC these days but I have about 600GBs of SHNs... :wacko:

SS

roann
2006-07-10, 10:23 AM
Greetings all -

Love TLH... replaces a lot of things I was doing in CMD files.

One thing I did observe... the "test" feature doesn't really work with Shorten files. TLH will report that a corrupt SHN file will decode properly even though it actually had a corrupt block and aborts (you can see the message using command-line shntool).

Dunno if anyone noticed (I know most folks use FLAC these days but I have about 600GBs of SHNs... :wacko:

SSShorten.exe doesn't have any verify option. So I simulated it with "decode to NUL device and see if there's an error message". In other words: TLH decodes the shn file via shorten.exe but no decoded data will be written to your harddisk. Only error messages of shorten.exe will appear in the log window. If TLH reports that a corrupt shn file will decode properly there wasn't any error reported by shorten.exe during decoding.

Robert

Speedy71471
2006-07-15, 02:25 AM
Shorten.exe doesn't have any verify option. So I simulated it with "decode to NUL device and see if there's an error message". In other words: TLH decodes the shn file via shorten.exe but no decoded data will be written to your harddisk. Only error messages of shorten.exe will appear in the log window. If TLH reports that a corrupt shn file will decode properly there wasn't any error reported by shorten.exe during decoding.

Robert

If you are interested, I can send you a Shorten file that SHORTEN.EXE 3.51 barfs on but that your algorithm (as describes above) does not catch...

PM me if you want it

SS

roann
2006-07-15, 06:31 AM
If you are interested, I can send you a Shorten file that SHORTEN.EXE 3.51 barfs on but that your algorithm (as describes above) does not catch...

PM me if you want it

SSYou are using shorten.exe v3.5.1. Trader's Little Helper comes with shorten.exe v3.6.0 (which is the latest release). Maybe some shn files created with v3.6.0 can not be properly decoded with v3.5.1?

Please send me your file. I've PMd you.

Robert

range_hood
2006-09-03, 02:13 PM
At this time I use TLH most for verifying burnt flacs (test encoded files) and shns (md5 check). But verifying via *.md5 takes really much more time on a dvd compared to verifying via "test encoded files". So I figured, maybe doing *.st5 checks on shns would not take that much long.
I tried to create *.st5s for one of the doors dvds currently in the vines forum:
http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/6822/clip2qp5.png
Searched in Explorer for *.shn > selected all files > right click > Traders Little Helper > Create checksum file
But I noticed TLH seems not to be able to handle the file/pathnames. Anyway I tried to "Create" and following error showed up:
http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/865/clipaw1.png

It would be great if I could get an st5 of all shns in the root of the disc to verify the burn.

Thank you.

roann
2006-09-04, 02:12 AM
range_hood,

thanks for reporting this.

For creating a checksum file a root folder needs to be given. Only files in that folder and its subfolders may be added to the list. This works fine if you do it the "usual way" selecting a root folder / adding files via Browse / Add buttons on the Create checksum file page.

You can fool Trader's Little Helper if you add files the way you did because the app is not able to determine the common root folder for all files passed. I know about this bug. It will be fixed with the new release of Trader's Little Helper that will be out in about four weeks.

BTW creating a st5 checksum needs a lot of time because what has to be calculated is the md5 checksum of the decoded audio data of the audio file.

Robert

range_hood
2006-09-04, 02:36 PM
Thanks Robert.

Actually verifying a set of flac-files (4GB) on a dvd via *.md5 takes about 20 minutes. While "Test encoded files" takes about 8 mins.
I thought maybe doing an *.st5-check would take about the same time less (because of the similar way of testing: decoding the data and checking the sums against each other). Creating st5s isn't that time consuming on my machine.
What are you planning to implement? One st5-file per folder, or one big st5 for one batch? I could live with both. :D

Thanks ;)
Richard

roann
2006-09-15, 11:03 AM
There is a new release of Trader's Little Helper (v1.1.0.89). It comes with a big help file that hopefully will answer all your application related questions. Additionally the new version is able to create/verify composite md5 fingerprint files, create torrent files, and create skt files for non-seekable shn files.

As always the setup file of Trader's Little Helper can be downloaded at http://thor.prohosting.com/roh0205/.

Robert

Borlag
2006-09-15, 12:27 PM
Thanks alot for this roann, the site gives this error when trying to download it however:

Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2) in /var/www/vhosts/web-upload.com/httpdocs/mysql.php on line 3
ES KONNTE KEINE VERBINDUNG ZU DER MYSQL-DATENBANK HERGESTELLT WERDEN. DIE AUSFÜHRUNG DER SEITE IST BEENDET. ENTSCHULDIGE BITTE DIE STÖRUNG. BITTE SCHREIBE EINE INFORMATION AN [email protected]! VIELEN DANK.

Sid
2006-09-15, 12:47 PM
Thanks alot for this roann, the site gives this error when trying to download it however:

Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2) in /var/www/vhosts/web-upload.com/httpdocs/mysql.php on line 3
ES KONNTE KEINE VERBINDUNG ZU DER MYSQL-DATENBANK HERGESTELLT WERDEN. DIE AUSFÜHRUNG DER SEITE IST BEENDET. ENTSCHULDIGE BITTE DIE STÖRUNG. BITTE SCHREIBE EINE INFORMATION AN [email protected]! VIELEN DANK.

Same here

thanks again for the best tool ever in the trading community :thumbsup

roann
2006-09-15, 01:24 PM
Sorry folks ... seems there are massive problems with the download server :mad:. It's not my machine so I can't do anything but hope that the problem will be fixed soon.

If you insist on getting the new installer immediately because without it you will become depressive or something ;) then just email me. If your provider allows attachments up to 2.5 mb I'll send you the installer.

Borlag
2006-09-15, 01:37 PM
I'm not in that big of a hurry, just thought I'd let you know about it.

Any chance of adding a full frequency analysis/spectral analysis tool to TLH? That's just about the only tool that's missing from TLH currently, one that would make perfect sense to include :)

roann
2006-09-15, 01:44 PM
I'm not in that big of a hurry, just thought I'd let you know about it.

Any chance of adding a full frequency analysis/spectral analysis tool to TLH? That's just about the only tool that's missing from TLH currently, one that would make perfect sense to include :)
It's on the list but I don't know if I'll understand enough of the theory (maths ...) behind this.

Sid
2006-09-15, 02:57 PM
If you insist on getting the new installer immediately because without it you will become depressive or something ;) then just email me. If your provider allows attachments up to 2.5 mb I'll send you the installer.
:lol
We'll survive
Thanks roann :wave:

tendernip99
2006-09-17, 06:13 PM
Here's a couple questions I've been wanting to ask...

When verifying flacs, what is the difference between verifying with the "full ffp vrf" box checked and without? The most obvious difference is the length of time it takes when verifying with the box checked than without. If you do the full verification does that mean you don't have to test the encoded files?

roann
2006-09-18, 01:47 AM
Here's a couple questions I've been wanting to ask...

When verifying flacs, what is the difference between verifying with the "full ffp vrf" box checked and without? The most obvious difference is the length of time it takes when verifying with the box checked than without. If you do the full verification does that mean you don't have to test the encoded files?
Please upgrade to the new release v1.1.0.89 (download (http://thor.prohosting.com/roh0205/)) that comes with a user manual. There you'll find a detailed answer to your question.

yanosh
2006-09-19, 03:49 AM
Thanks for the new version.

dorrcoq
2006-09-20, 01:09 AM
Many thanks again, Robert

c-bn
2006-09-20, 09:53 PM
thankx for the toolz and the update

Punkishlyevil
2006-09-21, 12:20 PM
Being able to create the torrent with this program is awesome! Great idea.

range_hood
2006-09-21, 02:37 PM
This is great. Used the st5 creation via explorers context and per drag and drop. Works flawless! Verifying a DVD via st5 works far better than with md5.
Thanks Robert. :) And - nice documentation.

:thumbsup

RetroDude83
2006-09-21, 05:45 PM
Please upgrade to the new release v1.1.0.89 (download (http://thor.prohosting.com/roh0205/)) that comes with a user manual. There you'll find a detailed answer to your question.

where is that users manual supposed to be? sorry but I couldn't find it.

thanks for this tool buddy, it's very handy and helps me out a lot! :thumbsup

yanosh
2006-09-21, 06:01 PM
sikamikanico83 - Open the program. Right-click on the top left corner of it where you see the red icon and choose "help".

I'm getting an error whenever I try to check the "audio file details" of .ape files.
Is it just me here?

pmonk
2006-09-21, 06:07 PM
I like the "create Torrent" feature. Used it yesterday!

roann
2006-09-22, 03:19 AM
where is that users manual supposed to be? sorry but I couldn't find it. ...
(a) Choose the Help item in the system menu of Trader's Little Helper as described by yanosh above, or
(b) choose the User Manual item usually located in Start > Programs > Trader's Little Helper, or
(c) switch to the page of Trader's Little Helper you want to use and press the F1 key.

Note that using the F1 key will open the manual with context-sensitive information so you don't have to use the manual's table of contents to find the item you're looking for.

roann
2006-09-22, 03:41 AM
... I'm getting an error whenever I try to check the "audio file details" of .ape files.
Is it just me here?Unfortunately not, same here :mad: ... seems that for ape files this function is ... errr ... slightly erroneous ;). Note that using Audio file details with flac, shn, and wav files works fine.

I'll try to fix that bug over the weekend.

Robert

range_hood
2006-09-22, 07:53 AM
One minor suggestion:
On verifying a batch of files in different folders it would be great if we could get a summary of the processed batch (if there were errors or not). On a large verification batch this can save much time.

File '\Who By Numbers Demo Tape 1975 FLAC\1Who By Numbers Demos wave.md5'

Line 001: file 'WHOBYNUMBERS01.wav' does not exist, or cannot be opened.
Line 002: file 'WHOBYNUMBERS02.wav' does not exist, or cannot be opened.
Line 003: file 'WHOBYNUMBERS03.wav' does not exist, or cannot be opened.
Line 004: file 'WHOBYNUMBERS04.wav' does not exist, or cannot be opened.
Line 005: file 'WHOBYNUMBERS05.wav' does not exist, or cannot be opened.
Line 006: file 'WHOBYNUMBERS06.wav' does not exist, or cannot be opened.
Line 007: file 'WHOBYNUMBERS07.wav' does not exist, or cannot be opened.
Line 008: file 'WHOBYNUMBERS08.wav' does not exist, or cannot be opened.

There were errors.

File '\edj2005-07-20\edj2005-07-20.md5'

Line 001: file 'edj2005-07-20.d01t09.shn' verified ok (checksum does match).
Line 002: file 'edj2005-07-20.d01t01.shn' verified ok (checksum does match).
Line 003: file 'edj2005-07-20.d01t02.shn' verified ok (checksum does match).
Line 004: file 'edj2005-07-20.d01t03.shn' verified ok (checksum does match).
Line 005: file 'edj2005-07-20.d01t04.shn' verified ok (checksum does match).
Line 006: file 'edj2005-07-20.d01t05.shn' verified ok (checksum does match).
Line 007: file 'edj2005-07-20.d01t06.shn' verified ok (checksum does match).
Line 008: file 'edj2005-07-20.d01t07.shn' verified ok (checksum does match).
Line 009: file 'edj2005-07-20.d01t08.shn' verified ok (checksum does match).

No errors occured.
Summary: (f.e.: errors in processed batch)
Thank you Robert. :thumbsup

richard

range_hood
2006-09-22, 08:10 AM
Just noticed - the scrolling through the Process log for red text may be no probem for others.
As I have a weakness descerning the colours red and green I'm searching through the log for "There were errors."

roann
2006-09-22, 12:10 PM
In a nutshell, there is no (new) bug in Trader's Little Helper when it comes to deal with ape files. If you are familiar with shntool you can proof this by using shntool at the command line (same error message(s)).

The reason for all that mess is the file mac.exe of Monkey's Audio. In the previous releases of Trader's Little Helper mac.exe v3.99 was included, in the new one it is mac.exe v4.01b2. Seems that shntool can not properly communicate with the latter, or maybe there was something changed in the new version ... I'm sorry to say I don't know. It would be great if someone here knows something more specific about it.

So, what to do? You have to re-install mac.exe v3.99. Download the file from here (http://www.web-upload.com/uploads/mac.exe), and copy it to your Windows directory to replace the one Trader's Little Helper had installed.

Robert

heyyo
2006-09-22, 12:15 PM
After i updated my THL , it cant unpack .Shn files anymore... says : "CallingLong-01.shn: file is possibly truncated or corrupt." , and ive tried it on alot of diffrent files , from diffrent albums etc , wich i could decode with the old one , anybody have any clue how to solve this problem ?

roann
2006-09-22, 12:26 PM
After i updated my THL , it cant unpack .Shn files anymore... says : "CallingLong-01.shn: file is possibly truncated or corrupt." , and ive tried it on alot of diffrent files , from diffrent albums etc , wich i could decode with the old one , anybody have any clue how to solve this problem ?What update do you mean, Trader's Little Helper v1.0.0.72 to v1.1.0.89, or mac.exe v4.01b2 to v3.99 (see my post above)?

heyyo
2006-09-22, 12:31 PM
What update do you mean, Trader's Little Helper v1.0.0.72 to v1.1.0.89, or mac.exe v4.01b2 to v3.99 (see my post above)?
heyyaaa ,

im using Windows XP , its TLH v1.1.0.89 , i had v1.0.0.72 before , and i could decode SHN without a problem with that version.

roann
2006-09-22, 12:59 PM
heyyaaa ,

im using Windows XP , its TLH v1.1.0.89 , i had v1.0.0.72 before , and i could decode SHN without a problem with that version.No problem here. The last about ten minutes I've decoded a couple of shn files located on different folders/drives, and there were no errors.

heyyo
2006-09-22, 03:23 PM
it dosnt work for me :-/ , i reinstalled it.. still get the same error , on every .shn file i try to open ... :-/

Borlag
2006-09-22, 03:29 PM
SHNs work just fine for me also, installed the latest version directly on top of the other without uninstalling.

However, for some odd reason it sometimes seems to stop accepting FLAC files and will always say that they're possibly corrupt, rebooting the computer seems to fix this. The same thing used to happen occasionally with the previous version as well.

Not sure if it's related or not, but I also use a software called Hub Audio Tools which forces itself as the default program for SHNs, APEs, FLACs, md5's and other checksum files.

yanosh
2006-09-22, 03:44 PM
In a nutshell, there is no (new) bug in Trader's Little Helper when it comes to deal with ape files. If you are familiar with shntool you can proof this by using shntool at the command line (same error message(s)).

The reason for all that mess is the file mac.exe of Monkey's Audio. In the previous releases of Trader's Little Helper mac.exe v3.99 was included, in the new one it is mac.exe v4.01b2. Seems that shntool can not properly communicate with the latter, or maybe there was something changed in the new version ... I'm sorry to say I don't know. It would be great if someone here knows something more specific about it.

So, what to do? You have to re-install mac.exe v3.99. Download the file from here (http://www.web-upload.com/uploads/mac.exe), and copy it to your Windows directory to replace the one Trader's Little Helper had installed.

Robert

Thanks for the advice but I'm not sure if that's what I'm going to do.
I still prefer to use a new version of ape for encoding then to use an old one just for viewing the audio file details.
After all, what interests me in "audio file details" is to find SBE and those can be found by checking the wav files (can decode and check them).

roann
2006-09-23, 02:44 AM
it dosnt work for me :-/ , i reinstalled it.. still get the same error , on every .shn file i try to open ... :-/Sometimes there is more than one instance of the files involved located in the Windows OS folders. Open Windows Explorer, right-click on your Windows folder and choose Search ... to open the Search dialog window. Enter the following line (including spaces) to the search field:

cygwin1.dll shorten.exe shntool.exe

The files should only be located in WINDOWS. If you've found them in system32 too you need remove them.

... However, for some odd reason it sometimes seems to stop accepting FLAC files and will always say that they're possibly corrupt, rebooting the computer seems to fix this. The same thing used to happen occasionally with the previous version as well.

Not sure if it's related or not, but I also use a software called Hub Audio Tools which forces itself as the default program for SHNs, APEs, FLACs, md5's and other checksum files.This is really odd ... I don't know Hub Audio Tools (where can I d/l them ... just Googled but no results). To be sure you need to uninstall both Hub Audio Tools and Trader's Little Helper, reboot, re-install only Trader's Little Helper, reboot, and test it some time. So it's up to you ...

Thanks for the advice but I'm not sure if that's what I'm going to do.
I still prefer to use a new version of ape for encoding then to use an old one just for viewing the audio file details. ...According to Monkey's Audio website (http://www.monkeysaudio.com) respectively the forum there are problems with v4.01b2. Seems format / encoding / decoding wasn't changed at all. So there will be no disadvantages using v3.99. If you have a look at the version info of v4.01b2 it still says v3.99 ...

Borlag
2006-09-23, 03:23 PM
It's a tool that someone (not sure who) from the Iron Maiden trading community created for their DC++ hub, it's available here: http://www.ironmaidenlewes.com/download/sharware/Hub%20Audio%20Tools.zip

range_hood
2006-09-30, 03:08 PM
Created an st5 from a 2GByte wav-file and it just took a part of a second, same on verifying.
An md5 took the time I expected.

adutchie
2006-10-01, 09:06 AM
hello,this is first visit. I am wondering if anyone can help me get started. Donot have anything to offer. Was wondering if this was needed to belong.

Robert Cook
2006-10-05, 02:31 AM
I use to TLH for just about everything, thank's it's great. Lately, when I extract Audio file details I've been getting the following error. Is this a bug or is there something I can do to prevent it?

roann
2006-10-05, 06:03 AM
I use to TLH for just about everything, thank's it's great. Lately, when I extract Audio file details I've been getting the following error. Is this a bug or is there something I can do to prevent it?It's not a bug in Trader's Little Helper. It's a timing problem with RICHED20.dll, a library that comes with Windows OS. Sometimes the error occurs, sometimes not. Until now there's no fix/workaround known that I can use to re-code the output procedure of TLH.

Robert

chunga1
2006-10-11, 10:45 AM
thank's...

Steve Stevens
2006-10-11, 01:43 PM
:wave:
I THOUGHT THIS MIGHT HELP A NUMBER OF NEWBIE TRADERS SO HERE GOES;

ONCE I PULLED DOWN A DVD FROM THIS SITE USING "AZUREAS" (FREE PROGRAM LISTED IN THE FAQ'S UNDER FREEWARE), MY NERO WOULDN'T BURN ME A PLAYABLE DVD. WHY? BECAUSE I DIDN'T HAVE THE PLUG (WHICH YOU GOTTA PAY FOR) INSTALLED.

THE FIX:

I OPENED A FREE PROGRAM CALLED "DVD SHRINK" (YOU CAN GET IT BY DOING A GOOGLE SEARCH) AND ONCE IT OPENED, I DIRECTED IT TO THE FOLDER CONTAINING THE FRESHLY PULLED DOWN DVD FILES. NEXT THING YOU KNOW, IT RECOGNISED THE DVD CONTENTS IN MY FOLDER. I THEN SELECTED 'BACK-UP" AND IT DID JUST THAT!! (JUST MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BLANK DVDR IN YOUR BURNER READY) ONCE IT WAS COMPLETED, THE DISK PLAYED BEAUTIFULLY WITH ALL CHAPTERS AND MENUE'S FUNCTIONAL.

I HOPE THIS MAKES YOUR EXPERIENCE EASIER. PLUS, USE "DVD SHRINK" TO CREATE THREADS AND SHARE!

HOPE THIS HELPS.

STEVE-O[/FONT]

Robert Cook
2006-10-28, 05:54 AM
Hi, can you help me w/ this error?

roann
2006-10-28, 11:35 AM
Hi, can you help me w/ this error?At the moment I can't help you, sorry. For sure encoding worked fine, just renaming failed (that are news, eh?). I briefly checked the source code of Trader's Little Helper, and the reason for this rename bug (?!) seems that directory and file names have common parts (in your case bd1988-06-18). But I'm not quite sure yet ... strange nobody has reported that before.

I hope I can fix that tomorrow. Unfortunately there is that girl friend of mine who'll get really upset when I use my computer on a weekend instead of spending the whole time with her (fortunately checking emails is "allowed") :lol. So please be patient ... I'll keep you informed.

Robert

range_hood
2006-10-28, 02:47 PM
Tried to create md5s for files in different subfolders. Searched in explorer for *.ogg. Dragged and dropped in "Create checksum file".
Got this error:
http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/881/clipjj8.png

roann
2006-10-30, 10:26 AM
Just upped v1.1.1 build 90 of Trader's Little Helper. Setup file is available as usual at:

http://thor.prohosting.com/roh0205/

No new features, just fixed a couple of bugs included the ones reported by range_hood and Robert Cook (see posts above this one). For details please have a look at the changelog that will be installed with the new release.

Robert

Dweller_Benthos
2006-11-01, 08:29 AM
OK, this seems to be the "official" TLH thread, lol, so I'll ask here.

First off, GREAT program, many thanks, it's great to have an "all-in-one" program that handles practically everything.

Now, to the question. I posted a link (http://thor.prohosting.com/roh0205/) to a message board on Yahoo Groups (can give the board name if needed) as people there were asking about handling SHN files. So, someone posts back, and I quote:

Thanks for this (another handy) tool Dweller........but, it contents a
not very harmfull "180 Solutions" Spyware!

180 solutions spyware? huh? I asked back very politely where he got his information.

Thanks for any input.

D_B

roann
2006-11-01, 03:50 PM
... 180 solutions spyware? huh? ...http://www.jedessine.com/img/trick-or-treat-82660.jpg

Dweller_Benthos
2006-11-02, 07:57 AM
OK, I'll take that as a no, then? lol

D_B

roann
2006-11-02, 09:41 AM
OK, I'll take that as a no, then? lol

D_BJeeez ... what you get from the official download location was free of spyware, adware, or underware, when I upped it. If you d/l the installer from somewhere else, I can't tell you ...

On the other hand: If I would write a program with some ...ware, and my second name would be Dr. Evil, and you would ask me if the app comes any ...ware, what would you expect me to answer? Oh nooo, of course not? Or ah yeah, nothing to worry about, just don't care, it's because it's nominated for the Most-Evil-Software-Ever-Awards (categories "most unknown threat" and "most malicious ... ware")?

So, try it, no risk no fun ...

Robert

Dweller_Benthos
2006-11-02, 01:03 PM
Hehe, my thoughts exactly, but I figured, what the hey? I'm sure the guy(gals?) who write all that crap (...ware) don't admit to it to anyone.

Still don't know what the person I got the message from is on about. His reply to my first question was hardly coherent.

Oh well, such is life on the internet.

Peace, and thanks again.

D_B

YokohamaJ
2006-11-09, 10:27 AM
Hi roann,

First of all, thank you for working so hard on TLH... it really seems to have become the favorite choice of so many people, and it really is nice to have everything all wrapped up in one device. :clap:

That said, I have actually had quite a few problems using it. I don't know if they're my own errors or bugs or what, but I've never gotten the thing working just right. The two main things I've encountered:

***EVERY*** time I try to fix sbes I always get this error message:

Preview of changes:
-------------------
C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe (2796): *** fork: can't reserve memory for stack 0x40000 - 0x240000, Win32 error 487
3 [main] shntool 2704 sync_with_child: child 2796(0x6C4) died before initialization with status code 0x1
2545 [main] shntool 2704 sync_with_child: *** child state waiting for longjmp
shntoold: fork: Resource temorarily unavailable
Error: error while forking child process, see above

***AND*** every time I try to verify ffps, I always get this error message on every track:

Line 001: file'gd86-12-31d1t01.flac'failed verification (checksum in metadata block does match, but md5 checksum does not match)

The other thing I've noticed is that when verifying md5s, especially on dvd-rs in my burner, it seems to take TLH much longer than mkwACT to get the job done.

So, if you could point me towards solutions for the errors I'm encountering and maybe a tweak or something to speed up the verification process, I'd be most appreciative, because I really would like to use TLH exclusively. As it is now, I tend to give it a try from time to time, but then end up falling back on mkwACT and FLAC frontend after a while.

Again, thanks for all the time and effort you're putting into this. You're really doing a great service for the trading community! :)

Joel

roann
2006-11-20, 03:31 AM
Sorry for being so late with a reply, but I wasn't at home for a couple of days.

... ***EVERY*** time I try to fix sbes I always get this error message:

Preview of changes:
-------------------
C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe (2796): *** fork: can't reserve memory for stack 0x40000 - 0x240000, Win32 error 487
3 [main] shntool 2704 sync_with_child: child 2796(0x6C4) died before initialization with status code 0x1
2545 [main] shntool 2704 sync_with_child: *** child state waiting for longjmp
shntoold: fork: Resource temorarily unavailable
Error: error while forking child process, see above ...When fixing SBEs Trader's Little Helper acts as a frontend for the command-line application shntool, i.e. TLH tells shntool what to do, and then just catches the output of shntool. So that error message is an error message shntool creates, not TLH. If you would use shntool directly from the command-line (no TLH involved) you would get the same message. The problem is that Windows OS refuses to give shntool the memory needed. AFAIK this sometimes happens on WinXP SP2.

A way to get this "fixed"? Until now *nobody* could tell me what to do. Maybe someone on this list has the magic answer??? A few users reported that it helps to run TLH or the subcomponents shntool.exe, shorten.exe, cygwin1.dll in an older DOS compatibility mode WinXP offers. On other machines that doesn't help at all. Important: all the files "shntool.exe", "shorten.exe", "cygwin1.dll" have to be located in your *Windows* directory, and there have to be no other instances of these files (in Windows\system32, for example).

... ***AND*** every time I try to verify ffps, I always get this error message on every track:

Line 001: file'gd86-12-31d1t01.flac'failed verification (checksum in metadata block does match, but md5 checksum does not match) ...When you encode a wav file to flac format by default a checksum of the *wav* audio data (the so called flac fingerprint) is stored in the header of the flac file. *All* programs that create a ffp from an existing flac file just read that fingerprint from the flac file header. When verifying a ffp file TLH not only compares the ffp in the checksum file with the one in the flac file header, but additionally re-calculates the checksum from the *decoded* audio data and compares it against the other ones. This is the only way to *really* check if your flac file isn't corrupt.

The error message tells you that the checksum given in the checksum file matches the one in the flac file header, but if you decode flac audio back to wav audio and re-calculate the checksum of the wav audio, this checksum does not match. In other words, the audio data of the flac file has become corrupt, or the header of the flac file has become corrupt *before* someone made the ffp file.

It's strange that it occurs *every* time you try to verify flac fingerprints. Because shntool is involved in the verification process the reason could be the same as for the memory problem described in (1) ... but if so there should be the same error message ... You can run a test to see if the problem in (1) is the reason or if your flac files are really corrupt: take a wav file, then use flac frontend to encode it to flac format and to create a ffp file. Then use TLH to verify that ffp file. If there are no errors reported by TLH it's likely that your Dead files are corrupt ...

... The other thing I've noticed is that when verifying md5s, especially on dvd-rs in my burner, it seems to take TLH much longer than mkwACT to get the job done. ...Yeah, I know, it was stated earlier in this thread ... somewhere (still don't know where) during the process of creating/verifying a md5 checksum Trader's Little Helper slows down more and more (especially when working on DVDs). This will be fixed with the next release of TLH.

Robert

YokohamaJ
2006-11-20, 07:04 AM
Thanks so much again for taking the time to give such a detailed reply to my questions/problems. I'll be sure to let you know if I have any luck in setting things straight.
Joel

snocko
2006-11-20, 03:04 PM
All of a sudden I am no longer able to decode shn files. It worked as of just a few days ago but suddenly stopped working. It still works fine for flac files. I have the most recent version of tlh and I'm using Windows XP. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Shawn

roann
2006-11-20, 04:15 PM
All of a sudden I am no longer able to decode shn files. It worked as of just a few days ago but suddenly stopped working. It still works fine for flac files. I have the most recent version of tlh and I'm using Windows XP. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, ShawnShawn, this is a little too much information ;) ... what *exactly* happens when you try to decode shn files?

snocko
2006-11-20, 07:42 PM
It is telling me that the file is possibly truncated or corrupt. Thanks, Shawn

roann
2006-11-21, 12:48 AM
It is telling me that the file is possibly truncated or corrupt. Thanks, ShawnWell, sad but true, the file *is* truncated/corrupt. In your previous post you wrote "It worked as of just a few days ago but suddenly stopped working. It still works fine for flac files.". Sounded like Trader's Little Helper crashes when processing shn files, or refuses to process them ...

Sid
2006-11-21, 07:50 AM
Well, sad but true, the file *is* truncated/corrupt. In your previous post you wrote "It worked as of just a few days ago but suddenly stopped working. It still works fine for flac files.". Sounded like Trader's Little Helper crashes when processing shn files, or refuses to process them ...

Hi roann :wave:
This is odd :hmm:
about 1week ago my tlh started acting funny as well...
As of this morning it will not:
Check for sbe's---error
Fix sbe's---error
Create md5 fp[works but does not generate fingerprint]

I'm running XP Media edition
I have auto updates "off" & I have not updated in mo's

Later on today I'll post some screen shots

more later :hmm:

Sid
2006-11-21, 05:07 PM
V - 101 Beta-1 (72)
[I can't use the new version at all - many errors]

This version has worked fine until this past week :hmm:
See screen shots

note:
the md5fp no longer generates fp's.....what you see is what I get :(

Sid
2006-11-21, 05:08 PM
cont.....

roann
2006-11-22, 02:35 AM
V - 101 Beta-1 (72)
[I can't use the new version at all - many errors]

This version has worked fine until this past week :hmm:
See screen shots

note:
the md5fp no longer generates fp's.....what you see is what I get :(I'm afraid I can't help you at all ... $%*!#& ... nonetheless please read the following lines.

All problems you've documented are based on the fact that shntool is involved (Trader's Little Helper just acts as a frontend for shntool). The error message you see comes from shntool, even if you create a checksum, but there the message is truncated after 32 characters by TLH.

shntool is a command-line application (a DOS program). For reasons I don't know Windows OS (seems to start with XP SP2) refuses to give shntool the memory needed, so shntool will stop executing with that "... can't reserve memory ..." error message. If you would run shntool from the command-line with no TLH involved you would get into the same problem with the same error message.

A way to get this fixed? Until now *nobody* could tell me what to do. For me it's impossible to test things because on my WinXP SP2 machine there aren't any problems at all ... A few users reported that it helps to run TLH or the subcomponents shntool.exe, shorten.exe, cygwin1.dll in an older DOS compatibility mode WinXP offers. On the other hand other users reported that it does not help to do that.

Conclusion: if shntool doesn't work all the important features of TLH (md5 fingerprints or fix of SBEs, for example) are gone ...

--- SOS --- SOS --- SOS ---

Robert

roann
2006-11-22, 03:02 AM
Sid, there is something I forgot to ask you in my reply above (I'm getting old you know ...). Please open Windows Explorer and go to your Windows directory. There you'll find a file called "cygwin1.dll". Please right-click that file and select the Properties item. Go to the "Version" tab. What file version is displayed there?

Sid
2006-11-22, 07:26 AM
Sid, there is something I forgot to ask you in my reply above (I'm getting old you know ...). Please open Windows Explorer and go to your Windows directory. There you'll find a file called "cygwin1.dll". Please right-click that file and select the Properties item. Go to the "Version" tab. What file version is displayed there?

roann
2006-11-22, 07:43 AM
Thanks Sid! This is a very old version of cygwin1.dll. Maybe a newer one will help solving the problems (but don't expect too much). Please do the following:

1) Download the new cygwin1.dll (in zip format) here (http://www.web-upload.com/uploads/cygwindll.zip).
2) Rename the one in your Windows directory to _cygwin1.dll, so you can undo the changes in the next steps.
3) Unzip the downloaded file to your Windows directory.
4) Run Trader's Little Helper, keep fingers crossed, and test some functions.

What happens???

Sid
2006-11-22, 09:08 AM
No luck... :(

Same results

What really freaks me out is that I was able to do these functions up until last week :hmm: :wtf:

roann
2006-11-22, 09:22 AM
No luck... :(

Same results ...I was afraid this wouldn't work but want to give it a try ...

... What really freaks me out is that I was able to do these functions up until last week :hmm: :wtf:Other users reported that too ... yesterday it worked, today it fails ... as I wrote above: SOS SOS SOS ...

Robert

Sid
2006-11-22, 09:39 AM
I was afraid this wouldn't work but want to give it a try ...

Other users reported that too ... yesterday it worked, today it fails ... as I wrote above: SOS SOS SOS ...

Robert

Thanks Robert....Hopeful for a fix soon because I dig this tool :cool:

chunga1
2006-11-22, 06:16 PM
how come when I load the flac file to generate an FFP it does it but the actual FFP is not valid it comes up as unknown application and the "little green "ffp" is not there?????

wharfrat73
2006-11-22, 09:28 PM
how come when I load the flac file to generate an FFP it does it but the actual FFP is not valid it comes up as unknown application and the "little green "ffp" is not there?????

I have this problem too. I'm not sure what the problem is but it has to do with the way the folder is named, I think. Sometimes my PC thinks the saved ffp file is a flac16 file, for example. If the folder name is longer gd1981-10-16.shure.senn.80060.sbeok.flac16, for example, I don't have that problem. If the folder was named gd1981-10-16.flac16 then I would have that problem.

roann
2006-11-22, 11:37 PM
how come when I load the flac file to generate an FFP it does it ...So generating ffp works ... what's the *complete* path and file name?

... but the actual FFP is not valid it comes up as unknown application and the "little green "ffp" is not there?????What do you mean with comes up as unknown application and the "little green "ffp" is not there? Maybe you could attach a screenshot?

mike1061
2006-11-23, 06:40 AM
Sid
I think something changed, "it used to work". Did you update windows, or possably did it update itself? Is it possable to use system restore and go back to when it worked? The thing is I'm not sure doing that removes the windows updates, but if it does you can always put the udates back in one at a time.
Thanks Mike

Sid
2006-11-23, 07:51 AM
Sid
I think something changed, "it used to work". Did you update windows, or possably did it update itself? Is it possable to use system restore and go back to when it worked? The thing is I'm not sure doing that removes the windows updates, but if it does you can always put the udates back in one at a time.
Thanks Mike

I'm running XP Media edition
I have auto updates "off" & I have not updated in mo's

:hmm: .....this is what is driving me nuts because I update manually & I have not done so in months & this started for about 1week now :wtf:

Unless Microsoft is doing things without asking BUT they would never do that... :lol

wharfrat73
2006-11-23, 09:46 AM
What do you mean with comes up as unknown application and the "little green "ffp" is not there? Maybe you could attach a screenshot?

Sometimes my PC thinks the saved ffp file is a flac16 file, for example. If the folder name is longer gd1981-10-16.shure.senn.80060.sbeok.flac16, for example, I don't have that problem. If the folder was named gd1981-10-16.flac16 then I would have that problem.

TLH sometimes is not assingning the .ffp extension to the file. It is saving the .ffp or .md5 without the extension.

It saves them as .flac16, shnf, or .flac files depending on what is at the end of the folder name.

If you create a .ffp with TLH and this happens you can save the file and manually type in ".ffp" at the end of the file name when you save it and the PC will then recognize it as the correct file type.

As I said earlier it doesnt happen all of the time. It only occurs, for me, in situations similar to the one I mentioned above.

Sid
2006-11-23, 10:11 AM
TLH sometimes is not assingning the .ffp extension to the file. It is saving the .ffp or .md5 without the extension.

It saves them as .flac16, shnf, or .flac files depending on what is at the end of the folder name.

If you create a .ffp with TLH and this happens you can save the file and manually type in ".ffp" at the end of the file name when you save it and the PC will then recognize it as the correct file type.

As I said earlier it doesnt happen all of the time. It only occurs, for me, in situations similar to the one I mentioned above.

That occoured everytime with the new version[on xp media ed]....extensions were left off both md5sum & ffp for me...one of the reasons I'm still running 1.0.0 Beta 1(72) version.

I'm sure it will all get worked out by roann in the future ;)

roann
2006-11-23, 10:30 AM

As I said earlier it doesnt happen all of the time. It only occurs, for me, in situations similar to the one I mentioned above.Got the picture ... :hmm: ... I'll check the source code.

... I'm sure it will all get worked out by roann in the future ;)In God we trust ... ;)

mike1061
2006-11-24, 06:56 AM
Sid
It is easy to see how I missed that. upgates is off post. I don't know if Microsoft can update itself, or not set up like that. I wouldn't put it past them. I've seen messages on my computer something like, windows has been updated and needs to re-start, or just finding the computer had been shut down when I get home.
Anyway, it still would seem something changed. Any new programs installed? How about running your spyware killers, or anti-virues programs? Aol or anything update it-self? I would know how to check, though.
Thanks Mike

Sid
2006-11-24, 07:16 AM
Sid
It is easy to see how I missed that. upgates is off post. I don't know if Microsoft can update itself, or not set up like that. I wouldn't put it past them. I've seen messages on my computer something like, windows has been updated and needs to re-start, or just finding the computer had been shut down when I get home.
Anyway, it still would seem something changed. Any new programs installed? How about running your spyware killers, or anti-virues programs? Aol or anything update it-self? I would know how to check, though.
Thanks Mike

Thanks Mike,
All input is welcome ;)
I'll let everyone know as soon as it gets worked out.

roann
2006-11-24, 07:48 AM
Thanks Mike,
All input is welcome ;)
I'll let everyone know as soon as it gets worked out.Please do as follows:

1) Open Windows Explorer and select your Windows directory.
2) Right click on the file "shntool.exe", and choose "Properties".
3) Click the "Compatibility" tab, check the box beside "Run in compatibility mode", and choose "Windows 98 / Windows Me" in the dropbox. Let all other settings unchanged.
4) Click "Apply" and then click "OK" to close the box.
5) Run Trader's Little Helper and do some testing.

If it doesn't work, please undo the changes.

Robert

Sid
2006-11-25, 09:35 AM
Please do as follows:

1) Open Windows Explorer and select your Windows directory.
2) Right click on the file "shntool.exe", and choose "Properties".
3) Click the "Compatibility" tab, check the box beside "Run in compatibility mode", and choose "Windows 98 / Windows Me" in the dropbox. Let all other settings unchanged.
4) Click "Apply" and then click "OK" to close the box.
5) Run Trader's Little Helper and do some testing.

If it doesn't work, please undo the changes.

Robert

No luck Robert.....
I tried it in all the OS compatibility types
I even tried the same with TLH compatibility types :hmm:

Marc

TBC
2006-11-28, 12:33 PM
when loading flac files into TLH to verify the encoding i get the message saying "At least one of the required subcomponents was not found".Processing will be terminated.what subcomponents am i looking for.All previous versions have worked.thx tbc

bullpinjohn
2006-11-29, 01:05 AM
I was converting shn to flac using TLH, I'd get a error
"skipping unknown sub-chunk "id3" '. I'd changed the name of two files, I'd get this error, when I put the orginal
names back everything was fine. Does this have to do with tags?

roann
2006-11-29, 02:07 AM
when loading flac files into TLH to verify the encoding i get the message saying "At least one of the required subcomponents was not found".Processing will be terminated.what subcomponents am i looking for.All previous versions have worked.thx tbcYou'll get this error message if one of the following files cannot be found in your Windows directory (usually C:\WINDOWS): auCDtect.exe, cygwin1.dll, flac.exe, mac.exe, metaflac.exe, shntool.exe, shorten.exe

roann
2006-11-29, 02:28 AM
I was converting shn to flac using TLH, I'd get a error
"skipping unknown sub-chunk "id3" '. I'd changed the name of two files, I'd get this error, when I put the orginal
names back everything was fine. Does this have to do with tags?Skipping sub-chunk header data is *not* an error but previous releases of Trader's Little Helper in some cases *do* report an error and stop processing. Please upgrade to the latest release which is v1.1.1 build 90 (you can get it here (http://thor.prohosting.com/roh0205/)).

joiletjake
2006-12-03, 01:06 PM
What does this mean?

I'm Losing You.wav: skipping unknown sub-chunk 'LIST'.

There were errors.

Create checksum file was cancelled.

What's the problem and how do I fix it?

roann
2006-12-03, 03:26 PM
What does this mean?

I'm Losing You.wav: skipping unknown sub-chunk 'LIST'.

There were errors.

Create checksum file was cancelled.

What's the problem and how do I fix it?Skipping sub-chunk header data is *not* an error but previous releases of Trader's Little Helper in some cases *do* report an error and stop processing.

This was fixed with the latest release v1.1.1 build 90 that you can download here (http://thor.prohosting.com/roh0205/).

U2Lynne
2006-12-03, 03:52 PM
Hey roann, I just wanted to say Thanks for having this thread here and for checking it in a timely manner. People really like this software and it really helps to have one thread where they can post about their problems or experiences. :thumbsup

Greengoat
2006-12-03, 11:57 PM
Hey roann, I just wanted to say Thanks for having this thread here and for checking it in a timely manner. People really like this software and it really helps to have one thread where they can post about their problems or experiences. :thumbsup

Ditto.

BTW Lynne, love the sig. :lol:

joiletjake
2006-12-04, 12:20 AM
This was fixed with the latest release v1.1.1 build 90 that you can download here (http://thor.prohosting.com/roh0205/).

Hmm I guess not since that was the version I've dowloaded. The problem still occurs.

roann
2006-12-04, 06:23 AM
Hmm I guess not since that was the version I've dowloaded. The problem still occurs.1) I suppose you're encoding wav files. What's the target format (ape, flac, shn)?
2) In addition I need to know *all* the settings used on the "Encode ..." tab (maybe a screenshot?).
3) Is there a way to get my hands on one of the files TLH refuses to process properly?

Robert

joiletjake
2006-12-04, 07:28 AM
1) I suppose you're encoding wav files. What's the target format (ape, flac, shn)?
2) In addition I need to know *all* the settings used on the "Encode ..." tab (maybe a screenshot?).
3) Is there a way to get my hands on one of the files TLH refuses to process properly?

Robert

1)FLAC
2)Sure. I've also tried without creating a checksum file but I got the same problem. TLH (http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o85/joiletjake/TLH.jpg)
3)No need for that. I solved it by first encode the file with FLAC frontend and then make that checksum file with TLH. The file sounds great, I've also listen to the file that was created with TLH when the problem occured and it sounds exactly the same. So I guess that it's nothing wrong with the file itself.

roann
2006-12-04, 09:12 AM
1)FLAC
2)Sure. I've also tried without creating a checksum file but I got the same problem. TLH (http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o85/joiletjake/TLH.jpg)
3)No need for that. I solved it by first encode the file with FLAC frontend and then make that checksum file with TLH. The file sounds great, I've also listen to the file that was created with TLH when the problem occured and it sounds exactly the same. So I guess that it's nothing wrong with the file itself.Thanks for your answers and the screenshot. It helps a lot to know where to look at the source code ...

As I said before there's *nothing* wrong with your file. What's wrong is the TLH procedure that captures the output of the encoding subcomponent. But it's *very* difficult to fix such a bug without a test file that TLH won't encode. So it would be great if you could send me such a file or tell me where I can download it (if you are familiar with an audio editor shorten that wav file down to about 30 sec length, and ensure that TLH can't handle encoding it).

joiletjake
2006-12-12, 05:06 PM
Thanks for your answers and the screenshot. It helps a lot to know where to look at the source code ...

As I said before there's *nothing* wrong with your file. What's wrong is the TLH procedure that captures the output of the encoding subcomponent. But it's *very* difficult to fix such a bug without a test file that TLH won't encode. So it would be great if you could send me such a file or tell me where I can download it (if you are familiar with an audio editor shorten that wav file down to about 30 sec length, and ensure that TLH can't handle encoding it).

OK I'll send a PM to you with the link.

ZeppHead72
2006-12-20, 02:02 AM
I apologize if this question has already been addressed. I didn't see it though.

Lately I have been getting a lot of error messages on entire files. It will say this on every line: file does not exist, or cannot be opened.

When I decode and listen everything sounds fine. I've tried re-downloading and I still get this error on the same files.

Any ideas?

roann
2006-12-20, 10:51 AM
I apologize if this question has already been addressed. I didn't see it though.

Lately I have been getting a lot of error messages on entire files. It will say this on every line: file does not exist, or cannot be opened.

When I decode and listen everything sounds fine. I've tried re-downloading and I still get this error on the same files.

Any ideas?Based on your insufficient information (task you did perform, type of files, settings, for example) I only can tell you some general things about the error message.

1) "file does not exist, ..."
Let's say you've added the file "C:\MyDir\Track01.flac" to the list. The file "Track01.flac" can not be found in the directory "C:\MyDir" when processing the file list.

2) "..., or cannot be opened"
The file was found in the given directory, but can not be opened/read because a) it is corrupt, or b) another programm has opened it and denied read access for other programs.

Robert

ZeppHead72
2006-12-20, 02:33 PM
Based on your insufficient information (task you did perform, type of files, settings, for example) I only can tell you some general things about the error message.

1) "file does not exist, ..."
Let's say you've added the file "C:\MyDir\Track01.flac" to the list. The file "Track01.flac" can not be found in the directory "C:\MyDir" when processing the file list.

2) "..., or cannot be opened"
The file was found in the given directory, but can not be opened/read because a) it is corrupt, or b) another programm has opened it and denied read access for other programs.

Robert

Sorry. Let me provide more info.

I click on Add in TLH. I open 3 MD5 checksum files. They are all in the same file as the SHNs. When I click Verify there are errors on all files and the error message I stated above is on every line of the process log. This has happened on several different complete files I have downloaded. I can decode and listen with no problem but the fact that there are errors makes me think something is wrong. I have tried downloading the same files again to the same results. I have tried uninstalling TLH and reinstalling and nothing has changed.

roann
2006-12-21, 01:19 AM
Sorry. Let me provide more info.

I click on Add in TLH. I open 3 MD5 checksum files. They are all in the same file as the SHNs. When I click Verify there are errors on all files and the error message I stated above is on every line of the process log. This has happened on several different complete files I have downloaded. I can decode and listen with no problem but the fact that there are errors makes me think something is wrong. I have tried downloading the same files again to the same results. I have tried uninstalling TLH and reinstalling and nothing has changed.Thanks for the additional info! Because your shn files can be decoded properly a) something is wrong with(in) the checksum file, or b) the checksum file is not located in the folder it should be.

Please check the file names given in the TLH error messages with the file names on your drive. If they do *not* match either the shn files were renamed after the checksum file was made or you were given a wrong checksum file.

If the file names do match read on. Checksum files only make sense if they can be used on *everybody's* machines, i.e. they need to be as independent as possible from the folder structure of the storage media they will be created on. That's why there is a root folder involved: all file paths in the checksum file will be listed based on that root folder (so you don't need to know what folder structure is above the root folder). That means that only files located in the root folder and its subdirectories can be added to a checksum file.

Example: The given folder structure is C:\music\lossless\Iron Maiden\IM2003-xx-xx.shnf with two subdirectories of IM2003-xx-xx.shnf called disc1 and disc2. If you choose IM2003-xx-xx.shnf as root folder, all files located in IM2003-xx-xx.shnf and its subdirectories may be added to a checksum file. In the checksum file files will be listed as follows:

693d0a41fd911fffcf0f4f03438eb34d *back.jpg
7a9c9ccac7db0bea78c43e41574fd777 *front.jpg
9c711bdb5e9082606196e04f818eaf6f *info.txt
b19dcc4fe60118f538ec9634cb9847bc *disc1\track01.shn
5441dd41650e52f929c47bec2d20d1a5 *disc2\track05.shn

Please open TLH, select "Verify checksum files", and add one of the md5 files. Double-click on the name of the md5 file. A new window will open that shows you the contents of the checksum file. If the md5 file is located in the same folder as the shn files you should see only lines like the first three ones in the example above. If there are lines like the last two ones in the example above you have to move the checksum file to the folder above the one it is located in right now. But if the checksum file is located in the right folder and if the file paths in the checksum file are correct then the checksums given must be wrong.

Robert

ZeppHead72
2006-12-21, 12:29 PM
Thanks Roann! That makes sense.

One more question. How do you verify files when all you are given is the following info? No MD5 checksum. Just this info in notepad.

85cc2ed53674bead97df82fd109c5be8 *Track07.shn
ac61f7e7e4a3aae65d72691d3d1b19fb *Track08.shn
ab74e58385e4674ba72b65200a275e05 *Track09.shn
a50972acccdc3ea5332732ad08c0eb7e *Track10.shn
cd585f8214311c92267c5445bb5858b4 *Track01.shn
5530fc3d87fb632a873afad272222ac6 *Track02.shn
daed6907922fb3d5107b3e307af72281 *Track03.shn
c45fe95e6fa3f5a7a50e082e2125f799 *Track04.shn
b1d8d13e9735e4115c453886b436f807 *Track05.shn
6fa27f4da94ed02d1bec8a839e0fcd39 *Track06.shn

Can you create a checksum with this info?

Thanks!

wharfrat73
2006-12-21, 01:58 PM
Right click on the folder, choose TLH, choose verify, TLH will tell you that there is no checksum in the folder, click okay, click add, pick the checksum text file, open, verify.

ZeppHead72
2006-12-21, 02:35 PM
Right click on the folder, choose TLH, choose verify, TLH will tell you that there is no checksum in the folder, click okay, click add, pick the checksum text file, open, verify.

Thanks wharfrat! I'll try that.

roann
2006-12-22, 02:43 AM
<snip>

How do you verify files when all you are given is the following info? No MD5 checksum. Just this info in notepad.

85cc2ed53674bead97df82fd109c5be8 *Track07.shn
<snip>

Thanks!What you have is the md5 checksum info / file! BTW, Trader's Little Helper comes with an user manual. In the Glossary section you'll find alot of information about md5 checksums and/or md5 files, for example.

wharfrat73
2006-12-22, 09:16 AM

Thanks!

Sorry I missed this part of your question. If you want to make that .txt file into a checksum file open the text file > file > save as > all file types > name it and add the extension .md5, .ffp, etc. and you should end up with a checksum file.

MGStreak
2007-01-03, 12:58 PM
First of all, a huge thanks to Roann... I've been using this program since it came out, and I love it... I never left a post in here because I got this program from a friend... never even saw the post!!! So thank you. Very much.

........and now I have to mention the one problem I've been having with TLH. When I found out that I could set md5 (ffp, etc) file associations to TLH to double click to verify, I nearly jumped out of my seat... only to find that it doesn't work on my computer. Every time I try to double click an md5 associated with TLH, I get the error shown in the attachment below. If I add the md5 through the "add" button in TLH, it works fine, so I know the problem isn't the md5... any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am running SP2 patched Windows XP, and have had no other problems on my PC. I should also note that I HAVE read through this thread, and I couldn't find anyone else with my problem.

Finally... thanks again for this exceedingly useful tool.

roann
2007-01-03, 05:14 PM
<snip> ...and now I have to mention the one problem I've been having with TLH. When I found out that I could set md5 (ffp, etc) file associations to TLH to double click to verify, I nearly jumped out of my seat... only to find that it doesn't work on my computer. Every time I try to double click an md5 associated with TLH, I get the error shown in the attachment below. If I add the md5 through the "add" button in TLH, it works fine, so I know the problem isn't the md5... any advice would be greatly appreciated. <snip>File associations are handled via Windows registry, and in your case some registry entries were altered. The installer of TLH is very conservative when it comes to file associations and does not change existing ones. Installers of some other programs (Winamp, for example) just overwrite existing file associations. Likely that's the reason for your problem.

The good news is that you can correct this manually (no un/re-install needed). Please contact me via email (you'll find my address in the About dialog of TLH or in the user manual under the Contact topic).

Robert

sammywho
2007-01-04, 03:57 PM
First of all Robert, thanks for the cool program and thanks for checking this thread, much appreciated. Now:

***AND*** every time I try to verify ffps, I always get this error message on every track:

Line 001: file'gd86-12-31d1t01.flac'failed verification (checksum in metadata block does match, but md5 checksum does not match)

I have this same problem. The MD5's match fine.

You can run a test to see if the problem in (1) is the reason or if your flac files are really corrupt: take a wav file, then use flac frontend to encode it to flac format and to create a ffp file. Then use TLH to verify that ffp file. If there are no errors reported by TLH it's likely that your Dead files are corrupt ...

I tried this and and I still get the same error. I made an MD5 of the same FLAC file and it checks fine with no errors. :hmm:

Turkka

roann
2007-01-05, 04:14 AM
@sammywho:

1) A bit oversimplified an audio file consists of two parts: a non-audio data part (the so called file header) and an audio data part (wav data, or flac data, for example). Among others the file type and the properties of the audio data (number of channels, sampling rate, etc.) is stored in the file header.

2) When you encode a wav file to flac format the flac encoder by default computes the md5 checksum of the raw wav data and stores the checksum in the header of the flac file (this is the so called flac fingerprint).

3) When a program creates a flac fingerprint file (.ffp) it just reads that fingerprint from the header of the flac file. That's all. No checking is done whether the flac file has become corrupt or not.

4) When you verify a flac fingerprint using TLH two steps will be performed: First the checksum in the ffp file will be checked against the checksum in the flac file header. Then the flac audio data will be decoded back to wav format, and a md5 checksum of the raw wav data will be created. Only if all three checksums (that in the ffp file, that in the flac file header, and that newly computed checksum of the decoded raw wav data) do match you can be sure that the flac file is not corrupt. (Note that a) in earlier versions of TLH that second step will be performed only if you check the "Full vrfy." option, and b) in the last releases of TLH you can uncheck that option in the Preferences dialog (this is not recommended).)

5) If you get the error message file '...' failed verification (checksum in metadata block does match, but md5 checksum does not match) the checksum in the ffp file and the checksum in the flac file header are identical. But they do not match the newly computed checksum of the decoded raw wav data. In other words: either the audio part of the flac file has become corrupt (at least one bit of audio data was altered), or the fingerprint data in the flac file header has become corrupt before the ffp file was created.

Robert

sammywho
2007-01-05, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the summary Robert, very helpful, cleared some things for me. But what to do when the MD5 refuses to match, what could be causing this, what should I check?

I did the test (recorded a short WAV file, encoded it to FLAC and verified the checksum) and repeated the encoding/verification 10-15 times but get the same error every time.

Sorry to bother you with this, but I'm a bit lost here.

roann
2007-01-06, 01:58 AM
Thanks for the summary Robert, very helpful, cleared some things for me. But what to do when the MD5 refuses to match, what could be causing this, what should I check?

I did the test (recorded a short WAV file, encoded it to FLAC and verified the checksum) and repeated the encoding/verification 10-15 times but get the same error every time.

Sorry to bother you with this, but I'm a bit lost here.Please run two tests. Take a flac file whose fingerprint TLH won't verify and process it

a) using the Test encoded audio file(s) tab,
b) using the Audio file details tab.

What does TLH report?

sammywho
2007-01-06, 08:10 AM
This are the reports for the whole process:

ENCODE WAV FILES
----------------

levy.wav: successfully encoded to 'levy.flac'

No errors occured.

levy.flac:dc939a9f5eabeb2160247aeb754d0322

No errors occured.

Checksum file saved to disk.

VERIFY CHECKSUM FILES
---------------------

File 'C:\levy.ffp'

Line 001: skipped (comment).
Line 002: skipped (comment).
Line 003: skipped (empty line).
Line 004: file 'levy.flac' failed verification (checksum in metadata block
does match, but md5 checksum of audio data does not match).

There were errors.

TEST ENCODED AUDIO FILES
------------------------

levy.flac: tested ok (file will decode properly)

No errors occured.

AUDIO FILE DETAILS
-----------------------

length expanded size cdr WAVE problems filename
6 [main] shntool 5324 C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fatal error -
C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fork: can't reserve memory for stack
0x239970 - 0x240000, Win32 error 487
5 [main] shntool 5248 C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fatal error -
6 [main] shntool 4760 C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fatal error -
10 [main] shntool 452 child_info::sync: wait failed, pid 4760, Win32
error 0
196 [main] shntool 452 fork: child -1 - died waiting for longjmp before
initialization, retry 6, exit code 0x1000000, errno 11
shntool: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable

error while forking child process, see above

There were errors.

I tried it with both 1.5.21 and a later version of cygwin1.dll just for kicks but with the same results.

roann
2007-01-06, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the details, sammywho. I hate to say this but I have to bring you bad news ...

As you can see from the error messages when requesting audio file details you're having a problem with Windows OS. All the functions that won't work properly use the command-line application shntool (shntool does the job, TLH mainly analyses/logs the output messages of shntool).

A couple of users reported the same fatal error - C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fork: can't reserve memory error message. The problem is that Windows OS (WinXP SP2 to be precise) refuses to give shntool the memory needed. I think this "behaviour" is introduced by either one of the Windows security updates or the way the update was received (direct file download or use of Windows Update).

Until now there is no workaround/fix known to get Windows "back to normal"! Even an un-install of the latest release and re-install of the previous release of TLH will not help at all. This really sucks ... #&!§% ...

I know of two users who got so "frustated" that they did a complete new WinXP SP2 installation. And TLH/shntool works properly again ...

For me it's impossible to track that error down because on one of my machines I'm running WinXP SP2 with all updates and there aren't any problems with TLH. So I can only hope that somehow I'll get my hands on a machine where that error occurs ... but I'm afraid this won't happen. Maybe someone out there knows what to do???

Robert

sammywho
2007-01-08, 06:48 AM
Thanks, that's too bad. I'm gonna fiddle with the XP updates, I'll post here if I figure it out.

Tuttle
2007-01-16, 11:22 AM
skipping unknown sub-chunk 'PAD'.

- What does it mean?

My flac files play fine. Is this negligible?

paddington
2007-01-16, 11:48 AM
are you the Tuttle from Orlando?

Tuttle
2007-01-16, 12:50 PM
Nope SF, CA

roann
2007-01-17, 10:46 AM
skipping unknown sub-chunk 'PAD'.

- What does it mean?

My flac files play fine. Is this negligible?Skipping sub-chunk header data is not an error but Trader's Little Helper in some cases do report an error and stop processing :mad:. This is annoying but you have to wait for the fixed next release ...

Robert

Michael Kalhoun
2007-02-21, 06:13 PM
Thank you for allow us little guys access to your program. If not for the kindness of all the tapers, programmers and those who sacrifice personal time to run these torrent sites, none of this would be possible. Thank you. :clap:

ZeppHead72
2007-02-21, 10:28 PM
BTW, Trader's Little Helper comes with an user manual.

When I click on User Manual I get this error: Could not open project 'C:\Program Files\Trader's Little Helper\tralih.chm".

I have tried uninstalling a couple times and reinstalling. Still the same error. Any thoughts? I'm trying to figure out how to run a 'len' check on the fileset.

ozjeremy
2007-02-24, 08:09 PM
TLH is a great program but I'm having problems with its ".shn" format decoding process.

Whenever I go to decode an .shn file TLH is coming back with a "file is possibly truncated or corrupt" message but, when I then use mkw Audio Compression Tool to decode to wave, everything works out fine - I end with a perfect .wav file.

Anyone else have this problem or a possible fix/work around ?

Thanks in advance - Jeremy

roann
2007-02-26, 01:52 AM
TLH is a great program but I'm having problems with its ".shn" format decoding process.

Whenever I go to decode an .shn file TLH is coming back with a "file is possibly truncated or corrupt" message but, when I then use mkw Audio Compression Tool to decode to wave, everything works out fine - I end with a perfect .wav file.

Anyone else have this problem or a possible fix/work around ?

Thanks in advance - JeremyMost likely you're having a problem with your OS. Please run a test: use TLH to show the file details of one of your shn files. Is there a "... fatal error - C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fork: can't reserve memory" error ..." error message?

If yes Windows OS (WinXP SP2) refuses to give shntool the memory needed. This "behaviour" is introduced by either one of the Windows security updates or the way the update was received (direct file download or use of Windows Update function). Until now there is *no* workaround/fix known to get Windows "back to normal", even an un-install of the latest release and re-install of the previous release of TLH will *not* help at all! The only thing that does help is a complete new WinXP installation ...

If you're not getting the error message described above please contact me via email.

Robert

jcrab66
2007-03-30, 03:06 AM
roann still rules

Voodoochild137
2007-04-04, 10:29 PM
amazing job, thank you, goodbye Audio Converter Studio (from FLAC to WAV for personal CDs)

Phishblowz
2007-04-07, 11:31 AM
I generally just use this to creat md5's on my dvd uploads, and I never had any trouble...although it has many more uses, that is the only thing I really rely on it for...and it KICKS ASS!!!!!!!!

been usin it awhile and never thought to thank the guy that made it, cause it was so old I figured it wouldn't matter...but better late than never...this thing is easy as pie...if you can't make an md5 with TLH then you shouldn't be allowed to use a computer...thanx for the program friend :thumbsup

tunic
2007-04-09, 12:15 PM
Hi,

I've been using TLH for years without a problem. But I recently bought a new PC, and when I installed TLH on it (version 1.1.1 build 90), the program had continuous crashes (mostly "list index out of bounds" error messages). Tried to reinstall, but that didn't help. Tried some more stuff to resolve it, didn't help either.
Just now I replaced the file shntool.exe in my Windows folder by the most recent version (3.0.2) I found at http://www.etree.org/shnutils/shntool/ and this seems to have solved the crashes. Before replacing I tried to see what version the old file was, but couldn't tell from the properties window.
The only thing that does happen now is what ozjeremy already described a few posts above me: when extracting shn files theres an error message saying:
d1Track01.shn: file is possibly truncated or corrupt.
It seems to have gone well though, the wav file did get generated and seems to be playing well. Also, the file details of this same shn file are generated without a problem.
Winamp doesn't want to play shn files anymore though either, even after reinstalling the shnAmp plugin. But I have way more flac files than shn, so I don't care that much about these remaining issues. Since now I can use TLH again without crashing. Decoding flacs and all other features seem to go well now.

roann
2007-04-11, 06:59 AM
Hi,

I've been using TLH for years without a problem. But I recently bought a new PC, and when I installed TLH on it (version 1.1.1 build 90), the program had continuous crashes (mostly "list index out of bounds" error messages). Tried to reinstall, but that didn't help. Tried some more stuff to resolve it, didn't help either.
Just now I replaced the file shntool.exe in my Windows folder by the most recent version (3.0.2) I found at http://www.etree.org/shnutils/shntool/ and this seems to have solved the crashes. Before replacing I tried to see what version the old file was, but couldn't tell from the properties window.
The only thing that does happen now is what ozjeremy already described a few posts above me: when extracting shn files theres an error message saying:
d1Track01.shn: file is possibly truncated or corrupt.
It seems to have gone well though, the wav file did get generated and seems to be playing well. Also, the file details of this same shn file are generated without a problem.
Winamp doesn't want to play shn files anymore though either, even after reinstalling the shnAmp plugin. But I have way more flac files than shn, so I don't care that much about these remaining issues. Since now I can use TLH again without crashing. Decoding flacs and all other features seem to go well now.Do not use Trader's Little Helper with the new versions of shntool (3.0.2) or flac (1.1.4). Use shntool v2.0.3 and flac v1.1.2 that come with the installer of TLH.

The new flac.exe wasn't very much tested by me yet, so TLH might work with it free from errors. But you will be in serious trouble if you use shntool v3.x.x, for example:

- TLH will always report that there are no sector boundary errors.
- Creating/verifying shntool md5 fingerprint files (.st5) will fail.
- Verifying flac fingerprint files in "full verify" mode will fail.
- Decoding/testing shn files may not work properly.
- In general some file and/or process errors may not be detected, logged process results may be wrong.

All this is caused by a in parts somewhat different output of shntool (that TLH has to analyse), and shntool commands that have been changed. At the moment I am re-writing core parts of TLH to work with those new releases but it will take some time.

It would be great if some experienced folks could do some heavy beta testing over the next about three months. Please send me an empty email with the subject TLH 2 beta if you are interested. But be warned: TLH 1.x.x and TLH 2.x.x can not co-exist on the same system without serious problems. So if you want to do beta testing you have to use a second (real or virtual) Windows OS that you don't use for your daily work with TLH. All first beta releases will be incomplete: you'll get all that was re-done and testet by me. On a regular basis (about 10-14 days) the next part will be ready and a less incomplete release will be available via the new build-in update function.

Robert

tunic
2007-04-11, 04:07 PM
thanks for the reply. I'll uninstall TLH (including shntool) for the time being, as it's not working for me properly right now anyways. Email is coming your way... Trust me, I'm a pro or at least I get paid for it :rolleyes:

Black Dog
2007-04-13, 08:57 AM
Most likely you're having a problem with your OS. Please run a test: use TLH to show the file details of one of your shn files. Is there a "... fatal error - C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fork: can't reserve memory" error ..." error message?

If yes Windows OS (WinXP SP2) refuses to give shntool the memory needed. This "behaviour" is introduced by either one of the Windows security updates or the way the update was received (direct file download or use of Windows Update function). Until now there is *no* workaround/fix known to get Windows "back to normal", even an un-install of the latest release and re-install of the previous release of TLH will *not* help at all! The only thing that does help is a complete new WinXP installation ...

If you're not getting the error message described above please contact me via email.

Robert

Like this? :hmm:

roann
2007-04-13, 10:50 AM
Like this? :hmm:No, not like this. It's a long and well known error caused by a timing problem with a Windows DLL. It only occurs occasionally on the "Audio file details" and "Fix SBEs" tabs. Sometimes it helps to exit and re-run TLH ...

I think the RICHED20.DLL problem will be history with the next release of TLH (btw I'm still looking for beta testers, details see me last post before this one).

Robert

wumpus
2007-04-13, 11:45 AM
I have to say thanks to you for this program roann, your continuing efforts to help the traders are simply awesome. Thanks for your selflessness!

:thumbsup :thumbsup

:clap:

tragedy32
2007-05-02, 08:08 PM
Thank you so much for developing Traders Little Helper. Two years after your initial post, please know that your program is greatly appreciated by many.

theriac
2007-05-18, 03:14 PM
So, I already have the FLAC codec as well as the APE DLL installed on my system. Perhaps a standalone version for those with the codecs already installed would be a good idea? I would really love that and this does seem like an awesome program.

roann
2007-05-19, 01:49 AM
So, I already have the FLAC codec as well as the APE DLL installed on my system. Perhaps a standalone version for those with the codecs already installed would be a good idea? I would really love that and this does seem like an awesome program.Are there any problems with the already installed codecs? The TLH setup only installs subcomponents _not_ found in your Windows directory. And TLH does _not_ need/use the APE DLL.

Robert

bakker_be
2007-05-19, 11:30 AM
Just a quick question before sc***ing up: does TLH work on Vista?
Thanks a lot!
Bart

theriac
2007-05-19, 12:02 PM
Are there any problems with the already installed codecs? The TLH setup only installs subcomponents _not_ found in your Windows directory. And TLH does _not_ need/use the APE DLL.

Robert

There are no problems with the codecs that are already installed, but I believe the ones included with TLH are out-of-date with the exception of the shorten and aucdtect commandlines. That is, shntool is on v3.x.x, FLAC is on v1.1.4, and MAC is on v4.xx BETA. Is there a plan to update these or are these what is to be considered the "safest"/"recommended" versions?

I do not place my codecs in the Windows directory either. I put them in C:\Program Files\codecs\. I did not know that TLH doesn't need the APE DLL though, thanks!

markshan
2007-05-19, 03:38 PM
I started using this on the suggestion of someone on Internet Archive before I ever discovered torrents. This is a great program. Thank you so much!

roann
2007-05-19, 06:49 PM
Just a quick question before sc***ing up: does TLH work on Vista?
Thanks a lot!
BartUnfortunately I can't test TLH on Vista because I don't have it. But up to now I didn't get any emails reporting problems using TLH on Vista.

There are no problems with the codecs that are already installed, but I believe the ones included with TLH are out-of-date with the exception of the shorten and aucdtect commandlines. That is, shntool is on v3.x.x, FLAC is on v1.1.4, and MAC is on v4.xx BETA. Is there a plan to update these or are these what is to be considered the "safest"/"recommended" versions? ...Do not use the new versions of these command line applications! Shntool was changed in a way that definitely will cause TLH to malfunction or crash. I am working on a new release that will do the job with the new ones (except mac.exe because shntool doesn't work with v4.xx beta) but this will take some months. So it is highly recommended to use the files that come with the installer of Trader's Little Helper.

Robert

theriac
2007-05-19, 08:18 PM
Alright. Thanks a lot; I was simply wondering about this as I wasn't sure. :)

Dweller_Benthos
2007-06-18, 11:45 AM
Just installing a new comp, and I was wondering - any plans to include SFV file support? I get SFV verification files from time to time and integration into TLH would be cool. Don't know how much hassle that would be, but I thought I'd toss it out there for consideration.

Thanks again for a great program!

D_B

Electrif
2007-06-18, 06:36 PM
Have been through all this forum and am not sure if the error I'm getting has been covered. I appologise if it has. It's regarding a ffp verification error.
I'm using the latest TLH 1.1.1 (build 90), running on XP SP2.

The following was extracted from TLH:

01-Track01.wav: successfully encoded to '01-Track01.flac'
02-Track02.wav: successfully encoded to '02-Track02.flac'
03-Track03.wav: successfully encoded to '03-Track03.flac'
04-Track04.wav: successfully encoded to '04-Track04.flac'

No errors occured.

01-Track01.flac: tested ok (file will decode properly)
02-Track02.flac: tested ok (file will decode properly)
03-Track03.flac: tested ok (file will decode properly)
04-Track04.flac: tested ok (file will decode properly)

No errors occured.

01-Track01.flac:60dfc22e2233f7ed046de44d01869320
02-Track02.flac:ee134f9cf2dae4e6247f3a862f185884
03-Track03.flac:160820850bda0f8393dd362edcf18d20
04-Track04.flac:0eae43ea19a95a6a302614ab5aeacb28

No errors occured.

Checksum file saved to disk.

Full Verify

File 'C:\Desktop\Unknown Artist\Unknown Title\Unknown Title.ffp'

Line 004: file '01-Track01.flac' failed verification (read error (file may be unsupported, truncated or otherwise corrupt)).
Line 005: file '02-Track02.flac' failed verification (read error (file may be unsupported, truncated or otherwise corrupt)).
Line 006: file '03-Track03.flac' failed verification (read error (file may be unsupported, truncated or otherwise corrupt)).
Line 007: file '04-Track04.flac' failed verification (read error (file may be unsupported, truncated or otherwise corrupt)).

There were errors.

Verify against fingerprint in flac file header ony

File 'C:\Desktop\Unknown Artist\Unknown Title\Unknown Title.ffp'

Line 004: file '01-Track01.flac' verified ok (checksum does match).
Line 005: file '02-Track02.flac' verified ok (checksum does match).
Line 006: file '03-Track03.flac' verified ok (checksum does match).
Line 007: file '04-Track04.flac' verified ok (checksum does match).

No errors occured.

This is even happening with flac folders I've downloaded here. I'm sure the files are OK, as they test OK.

Thanks

Cirre
2007-06-19, 05:17 AM
This looks great, when will the version to fix sector boundary errors be ready for download?? That would be great!!! :clap:

Cirre
2007-06-19, 05:20 AM
oh sorry, the message i read was from 2005...I got it!!! Thanks :thumbsup

mobile
2007-06-30, 06:08 PM
Just had a HDD crash, now i can just download this one program instead of all those others, thanks

zeus163
2007-07-01, 01:08 AM
You'll get this error message if one of the following files cannot be found in your Windows directory (usually C:\WINDOWS): auCDtect.exe, cygwin1.dll, flac.exe, mac.exe, metaflac.exe, shntool.exe, shorten.exe

Hmmm...I had to re-install windows XP on my laptop and now I'm getting the above error except I have all the files listed above in the windows directory. I'm on vacation or I'd check my other computer to see if anything else is missing. Any suggestions?

I'd love to be able to have this awesome program working on my laptop...

roann
2007-07-01, 01:54 AM
Hmmm...I had to re-install windows XP on my laptop and now I'm getting the above error except I have all the files listed above in the windows directory. I'm on vacation or I'd check my other computer to see if anything else is missing. Any suggestions?

I'd love to be able to have this awesome program working on my laptop...Please contact me via email (the address can be found in the About dialog and the Help file of TLH) so I can send you a program that maybe is able to fix this.

Robert

zeus163
2007-07-01, 08:34 AM
Please contact me via email (the address can be found in the About dialog and the Help file of TLH) so I can send you a program that maybe is able to fix this.

Robert

Thanks! Email sent...

olliechop
2007-07-28, 06:09 PM
Should visit the forums more often I guess as I've only just noticed this thread.

Just gotta add my thanks for the pure genius in coming up with the idea and the prog. Always recommend to anyone progressing to lossless trading.

Patty Mac
2007-08-04, 04:08 PM
Just wanted to extend my thanks for TLH. Ive just recently started using it and its a great piece of software to have.

roann
2007-08-05, 10:35 AM
Just wanted to extend my thanks for TLH. Ive just recently started using it and its a great piece of software to have.My pleasure. Thanks for all the "thanks" posts :).

Rags847
2007-08-11, 11:09 PM
My pleasure. Thanks for all the "thanks" posts :).

Ditto PartyMac
TLH is a blessing!

Rags

jdiysmf
2007-08-12, 04:38 PM
I had understood that cog would play the flac files (i am using a mac and understood mac does not utilze cog) so i downloaded azureus and cog but I am unable to get sound. I found a flac that is supposed to work with mac but cannot figure out how to change it now. any suggestions?

glens
2007-08-16, 06:24 PM
Absolute brilliance is TLH roann, great, great thanks for the utility. Only wish I had discovered it much sooner, well done Sir!!

whiskybob
2007-08-20, 07:53 AM
Hi,

I'm new to this forum, thanks for having me.
Always been happy with tlh until a month or so ago when it started giving the following message
"At least one of the required subcomponents was not found".
that was when i was running tlh v.1.0.0.72
i then upgraded to the latest version of tlh and now whenever i try to decode
shn files i get the message that the file is either truncated or corrupt.The below log is what i ended up with this

6 [main] shntool 3124 C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fatal error - C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fork: can't reserve memory for stack 0x239960 - 0x240000, Win32 error 487
7 [main] shntool 680 C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fatal error - C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fork: can't reserve memory for stack 0x239960 - 0x240000, Win32 error 487
6 [main] shntool 2224 C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fatal error - C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fork: can't reserve memory for stack 0x239960 - 0x240000, Win32 error 487
6 [main] shntool 3748 C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fatal error - C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fork: can't reserve memory for stack 0x239960 - 0x240000, Win32 error 487
6 [main] shntool 2932 C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fatal error - C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fork: can't reserve memory for stack 0x239960 - 0x240000, Win32 error 487
7 [main] shntool 3592 C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fatal error - C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fork: can't reserve memory for stack 0x239960 - 0x240000, Win32 error 487
15 [main] shntool 652 fork: child -1 - died waiting for longjmp before initialization, retry 0, exit code 0x100, errno 11
error while forking child process, see above.

Anything i can do, has there been a fix since earlier posts or should i just uninstall tlh, sorry to shout but I'M GUTTED, i loved tlh but now it's really screwed me over.Is there another way of decoding shn files.
BTW, i recently d/l winamp, i've sinced got rid in favour of media monkey, could either of them contributed to this or am i getting paranoid.

Whiskybob.

dannyandamie
2007-08-26, 12:02 PM
Everytime I try to decode a shn file, I get the message "At least one of the required subcomponents was not found in the Windows directory. Process will be terminated." I have used TLH for a long time and never seen this. Any help? Thanks.
Danny

dannyandamie
2007-08-26, 04:00 PM
Ok, now i'm having the same problem as the guy above. I also tried to email "Roann" and got a undeliverable mail message.
Anybody have any ideas?
Thanks
danny

roann
2007-08-27, 05:52 AM
Everytime I try to decode a shn file, I get the message "At least one of the required subcomponents was not found in the Windows directory. Process will be terminated." I have used TLH for a long time and never seen this. Any help? Thanks.
DannyTrader's Little Helper needs the files listed below located in you Windows directory (usually C:\WINDOWS or C:\WINNT):

aucdtect.exe
cygwin1.dll
flac.exe
mac.exe
metaflac.exe
shorten.exe
shntool.exe

If one of them is missing "your" message box will pop up. You can download the full set of files as a zip archive from here (http://web-upload.com/download_52596.html).

Robert

dannyandamie
2007-08-27, 06:56 PM
So, i dl these. But I am having problems. I have to open these files and then decode from that Window, rather than just clicking on TLH and decoding. And sometimes this doesn't work. Why are these files gone? It's wierd that one day i'm decoding fine and the next all these files are missing. Anyway, how do I dl these files so i can decode in TLH like I used too? Please HELP!!!!!

roann
2007-08-28, 12:19 AM
So, i dl these. But I am having problems. I have to open these files and then decode from that Window, rather than just clicking on TLH and decoding. And sometimes this doesn't work. Why are these files gone? It's wierd that one day i'm decoding fine and the next all these files are missing. Anyway, how do I dl these files so i can decode in TLH like I used too? Please HELP!!!!!... ????? ...

1) Download zip file by clicking on the word "here" at the end of my last post.
2) Unzip all that's in that zip file to your Windows directory. If you are asked "overwrite yes/no" answer "yes".
3) Start TLH and try to decode or whatever you want to do.

dannyandamie
2007-08-28, 06:51 PM
Thanks for your help. So when i click on "here" it says "open", "save." And I've tried both. I get directed to a site that is in all German and I can't understand, I think it's "upload.com" However when I hit open or save, Neither time do I get a zip file. It just saves it into the Windows directory. And I get the same thing, file corrupt or truncated when I try to decode. I removed the program and re dl it. I can't udnerstand why these files aren't there. Please keep trying to help me!!!THANKS!!!

dannyandamie
2007-08-28, 07:00 PM
Ok, so I think I may have discovered something. I can decode FLAC Files quickly and fine. But when I try the shn (which show up as little windows) it takes a long time. A real long time. The audio file will show up immediately and I can play some of it for awhile. But then again, it keeps saying decoding. Does it just take longer now than use to for shn files? Like I said, FLAC Seems to be doing good.
THanks.

roann
2007-08-29, 02:29 AM
... So when i click on "here" it says "open", "save." And I've tried both. I get directed to a site that is in all German and I can't understand, I think it's "upload.com" However when I hit open or save, Neither time do I get a zip file. It just saves it into the Windows directory. And I get the same thing, file corrupt or truncated when I try to decode. I removed the program and re dl it. I can't udnerstand why these files aren't there. ...Danny, you are _really_ puzzling me ;-) ...

When you click on "here" your browser opens a website. Then an "Open/Save" dialog is opened _automatically_ (no need to understand what the website is telling you). You want to _download_ the .rar file, so choose "Save". Next you will be asked where to save the file. Choose a folder of your choice, but do _not_ choose your Windows directory. When the download is finished you may close the website that was opened for downloading.

Open Windows Explorer, go to the folder where the downloaded file is located. Double-click on that file to open it. Choose "Extract". Now you will be asked where to save the extracted files. Choose your Windows directory. If you are asked "Overwrite existing file" answer "Yes". That's it. You may delete the .rar file from its download location.

What is this "I removed the program and re dl it. I can't udnerstand why these files aren't there." thing??? What _program_? Did you remove TLH???

Ok, so I think I may have discovered something. I can decode FLAC Files quickly and fine. But when I try the shn (which show up as little windows) it takes a long time. A real long time. The audio file will show up immediately and I can play some of it for awhile. But then again, it keeps saying decoding. Does it just take longer now than use to for shn files? Like I said, FLAC Seems to be doing good.What do you mean with "... shn (which show up as little windows) ..."??? Little windows??? Please provide a screenshot.

Of course "The audio file will show up immediately" because each decoded part is written _directly_ to disk. But you should wait until decoding is _finished_ before you play the decoded file.

beatles_fan
2007-09-08, 10:17 PM
roann: Great piece of software. I'm using it already and find the interface quite logical and easy to use. And, I'm VERY much a noob when it comes to lossless files and torrents. Thank you ever so much.

scambro
2007-09-14, 01:43 PM
Roann - another big thanks for making this program and all the work you've put into it. I've only been using it for a few weeks, but it's clearly better than the way I was previously verifying all my flac/ shn files.

Quick question for you - I'd like to see the same queing logic that was used in MKW. When I download a few things, I usually wait to verify all of the shows at once. So I double click the .ffp file of the first one, but I can't add the second one to the queue while the first one is processing. Obviously I can build my queue in TLH first, then click verify, but I prefer to walk through the folders in explorer and double click the ffp files.

Small feature request :)

Thanks!

blackertai
2007-09-27, 11:55 PM
For some reason, all my md5's check out for shn files in TLH, but they will not decode. And it's literally all of my SHNs, not just one or two file-sets. Is this a widespread problem, or am I just doing something wrong (I can decode with mkwACT, I'd just prefer the TLH).

roann
2007-09-28, 08:34 AM
For some reason, all my md5's check out for shn files in TLH, but they will not decode. And it's literally all of my SHNs, not just one or two file-sets. Is this a widespread problem, or am I just doing something wrong (I can decode with mkwACT, I'd just prefer the TLH).1) Do you use the last publice release (build 90) of TLH?

2) Did TLH ever decode shn files properly on your system?

3) I suppose you're having a problem with your OS. Please run a test: use TLH to show the file details of some of your shn files. Are there "... fatal error - C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fork: can't reserve memory" error ..." error messages?

If yes Windows OS (WinXP SP2) refuses to give shntool the memory needed. The reason seems to be one of the Windows security updates. There is no workaround/fix known to get Windows "back to normal", even an un-install of the latest release and re-install of the previous release of TLH will not help at all. The only thing that does help is a complete new WinXP installation ... The next release of TLH (available in November or December this year) will not have this problem.

Robert

piran46
2007-10-04, 02:34 PM
cucu

madhouse73
2007-10-05, 11:57 PM
hello,

I got this message while trying to check sector boundaries (which took forever) can anyine explain this to me please?!?!? how do i fix it? I didn't experience any other problems with any of the other functions of TLH.

please help me if u can??

Preview of changes:
-------------------
3 [main] shntool 2816 C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fatal error - C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fork: can't reserve memory for stack 0x23A120 - 0x240000, Win32 error 487
3 [main] shntool 2172 C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fatal error - C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fork: can't reserve memory for stack 0x23A120 - 0x240000, Win32 error 487
12 [main] shntool 2824 child_info::sync: wait failed, pid 2172, Win32 error 0
11630 [main] shntool 2824 fork: child -1 - died waiting for longjmp before initialization, retry 8, exit code 0x1000000, errno 11
Error: error while forking child process, see above.

madhouse73
2007-10-06, 12:11 AM
I just tried to decode a shn file and experienced the long decode time like the post listed above me mentions. I guess we are having the same troubles!! If I need to wait for the next vesion of TLH then what can I do for boundary errors and shn decoding in te mean time??

any comments and ideas r welcome!!

thanks...mh73

roann
2007-10-06, 01:26 PM
@madhouse73:

I'm working on a new release of TLH that should do the trick, but it's not finished yet. All functions of v1.1.1.90 are re-worked except fixing SBEs and Windows Explorer integration. The Fix SBEs section will be done in a couple of days.

There is a working beta available here (http://web-upload.com/uploads/tralih200130.exe) if you want to give it a try. But note that you cannot install both the "old" v1.1.1.90 and the new one on the same system without problems, so either the old one or the new one ...

Robert

madhouse73
2007-10-06, 10:32 PM
hello,

thanks 4 your reply!!

cool, i will wait 4 the new version. I am assuming that there will be some kind of notice that a new version of TLH has been released?

thanks again...mh73 :)

roann
2007-10-07, 12:35 AM
... I am assuming that there will be some kind of notice that a new version of TLH has been released? ...Yep.

BillinReno
2007-10-11, 11:45 AM
Greetings. I have a head scratcher, and I'll lead off by apologizing if my issue is addressed in any of the previous 29 pages. If it is, please let me know, and feel free to chastise me for my laziness.

I've had great success with TLH, and I don't _think_ it's the root of this problem, but I don't know where else to go. I downloaded the following errorfree: Dortmund 06-17-80_Ezytouch Remaster.torrent. All the files verified, and seemed to decode w/out any issue (multiple times by the time I threw up my hands). It also was importable to itunes, and plays on an ipod.

However, when I tried to burn (some version of Nero- I apologize, I'm at work), after burning other disks, I got an error about file format. The files extensions were all .wav, and I didn't see anything elsewhere that looked fishy. I also tried a couple other burning programs I have kicking around on my HD (an older Roxio, the freeware Burnatonce) with the same result. The attempted burn was rejected, and the disk spit out.

OK, here's where I think TLH comes in: there are comments in the torrent thread about converting from 24 to 16 bit (or vice versa), and a commenter mentioning that their files are just noise, so I'm thinking that I need to do this conversion to get disks burned, but I'm at a loss as to how to do this. Doesn't seem doable in TLH, unless I'm being really thickheaded.

I'm sorry about the length of this, but I wanted to provide adequate info. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Any thoughts?

scambro
2007-10-11, 11:41 PM
@madhouse73:

I'm working on a new release of TLH that should do the trick, but it's not finished yet. All functions of v1.1.1.90 are re-worked except fixing SBEs and Windows Explorer integration. The Fix SBEs section will be done in a couple of days.

There is a working beta available here (http://web-upload.com/uploads/tralih200130.exe) if you want to give it a try. But note that you cannot install both the "old" v1.1.1.90 and the new one on the same system without problems, so either the old one or the new one ...

Robert

404 on the dl link.

should this version fix the whole 'checksum in metadata block does not match, but md5 checksum of audio data does not match' issue after some windows SP?

Thanks.

madhouse73
2007-10-12, 01:08 AM
Yep.

hello,

I was just wondering on the progress of the new version of TLH?
I hope u r having success in fixing the issues with the SBE!!

thanks,
Madhouse73

roann
2007-10-12, 02:45 PM
... I was just wondering on the progress of the new version of TLH?

I hope u r having success in fixing the issues with the SBE!! ...404 on the dl link. ...The "Fix SBEs" section has been fully re-worked, and a new beta is out. That's why the link in one of my last posts isn't valid anymore. The new beta offers _all_ the functions of v1.1.1.90 except Windows Explorer integration and a help file (the final release won't come with a help file either). The user interface is sizeable now, mkw file format is supported (for the "old traders" among us), there are some new features, a couple of improvements, and the beta works with flac 1.1.4 and shntool 3.0.4 now. You can get it from here (http://web-upload.com/uploads/tralih200135.exe). One of the new features is a "Check for update" function. Note that your firewall might get nervous when using this function (though the usual http port 80 is used).

... should this version fix the whole 'checksum in metadata block does not match, but md5 checksum of audio data does not match' issue after some windows SP? ...This issue is _not_ a bug. It tells you that either the provided checksum file is invalid or the audio files are corrupt. What should be history is the WinXP SP2 sourced complete malfunction of those TLH functions that use shntool or shorten.

... I downloaded the following errorfree: Dortmund 06-17-80_Ezytouch Remaster.torrent. All the files verified, and seemed to decode w/out any issue (...). It also was importable to itunes, and plays on an ipod.

However, when I tried to burn (...), after burning other disks, I got an error about file format. The files extensions were all .wav, and I didn't see anything elsewhere that looked fishy. I also tried a couple other burning programs I have kicking around on my HD (an older Roxio, the freeware Burnatonce) with the same result. The attempted burn was rejected, and the disk spit out.

OK, here's where I think TLH comes in: there are comments in the torrent thread about converting from 24 to 16 bit (or vice versa), and a commenter mentioning that their files are just noise, so I'm thinking that I need to do this conversion to get disks burned, but I'm at a loss as to how to do this. Doesn't seem doable in TLH, unless I'm being really thickheaded. ...Audio CDs require 16-bit 44100 Hz wav files. Process one of your files with the "Audio file details" function of TLH using _info_ mode. There are two lines "bits/sample" and "samples/sec" that will tell you whether your file are burnable. TLH is not able to do a conversion to 16-bit 44.1 kHz format. There are free programs out there that will do it (Audacity, for example).

Robert

scambro
2007-10-13, 12:59 PM
This issue is _not_ a bug. It tells you that either the provided checksum file is invalid or the audio files are corrupt. What should be history is the WinXP SP2 sourced complete malfunction of those TLH functions that use shntool or shorten.

K, guess I wasn't clear, I meant when I get that error on one PC, but when I check the same ffp file via a network resource (different TLH install), it checks out fine. I uninstalled the old version, installed the new beta, and sure enough, now it checks out properly! phew! :)

Thanks!

bdouglaswalker
2007-10-14, 11:05 PM
Does the updating of TLH explain why I haven't been able to get either link to work for me to download it? My computer crashed and I have been unable to get the world's most helpful tool back.

roann
2007-10-15, 07:49 AM
Does the updating of TLH explain why I haven't been able to get either link to work for me to download it? My computer crashed and I have been unable to get the world's most helpful tool back.From time to time the (free) server hosting the TLH files is down for maintenance. Send me an email (subject "TLH release" or "TLH beta") if you want me to send you the installer.

Robert

BillinReno
2007-10-15, 10:20 AM
Audio CDs require 16-bit 44100 Hz wav files. Process one of your files with the "Audio file details" function of TLH using _info_ mode. There are two lines "bits/sample" and "samples/sec" that will tell you whether your file are burnable. TLH is not able to do a conversion to 16-bit 44.1 kHz format. There are free programs out there that will do it (Audacity, for example).

Robert

Cool. Thanks for the reply. Like I said, this was a new one on me. Good luck with the updates.

Bill

bdouglaswalker
2007-10-15, 04:45 PM
The server apparently came back up. Thanks for your kind offer, and thanks a million times for that amzingly simple and effecient tool!!!!

dukem
2007-10-17, 07:14 AM
hi roann, thanks for TLH, best program to help us traders ever :)

i have a few questions on the new pre-release:

1. The icons for FFP and MD5 files no longer work, they both look like the TLH suitcase.
2. The FFP Verify is only the full verify, is the quick verify no longer working?
3. When double clicking a MD5 it doesnt take you to the Verify page, you have to manually click verify then look for the checksum.

thanks

roann
2007-10-17, 10:41 AM
... i have a few questions on the new pre-release:

1. The icons for FFP and MD5 files no longer work, they both look like the TLH suitcase.
2. The FFP Verify is only the full verify, is the quick verify no longer working?
3. When double clicking a MD5 it doesnt take you to the Verify page, you have to manually click verify then look for the checksum.
...1/3: As I said in my last posts: there is _no_ Windows Explorer integration available (yet) with these betas. That means, double-click on files, Drag&Drop, Explorer context menus, icons for file types, all "gone". These features will be available (again) with the final release.

2: There is/will be only a full ffp verify available from now on. The quick one is _not_ reliable because it doesn't check whether the audio data in a flac files matches the checksum stored in the flac file header.

Robert

dukem
2007-10-17, 12:45 PM
ah didnt read about the non windows integration yet, that explains all thanks :)

dukem
2007-11-06, 11:51 PM
I noticed the Check for updates doesnt work Roann, maybe something you know about already.
I get:

Checking connection to download server ... error (download server is not connectable).

just incase you dont know

and has the test if files will decode section been permanently removed?

thanks

roann
2007-11-07, 05:09 AM
I noticed the Check for updates doesnt work Roann, maybe something you know about already.
I get:

Checking connection to download server ... error (download server is not connectable).

just incase you dont knowWell, I do know ... the (free) server hosting all the TLH files is permanently down since last Saturday or Sunday. Usually the server is offline for maintenance, but it never takes more than 24 hours. Maybe the service is down forever, I don't know. So at the moment the only way to check whether there is a new pre-release build is to go to the TLH homepage (http://tlh.easytree.org).

and has the test if files will decode section been permanently removed?No, it hasn't been removed at all. It was integrated into the "Decode" section. Just select the "Test w/o writing decoded files" option in the "Decoding options" box.

Robert

dukem
2007-11-09, 02:07 AM
Ahh excellent thanks

ColinM
2007-11-11, 12:18 PM
I fixed the forking child process by changing the compatibility mode for shntool.exe, shorten.exe and the actual TLH program to Windows 95.

roann
2007-11-12, 09:39 AM
I fixed the forking child process by changing the compatibility mode for shntool.exe, shorten.exe and the actual TLH program to Windows 95.So you belong to the lucky ones! Unfortunately the "trick" using an older compatibility mode only work sometimes, no idea why. But with the new release (http://tlh.easytree.org) (still beta / incomplete) the problem should be history.

Robert

RasviKing
2007-11-29, 09:58 AM
Greetings! :wave:

I just stumbled across this tread and had no idea that TLH had 'originated' here at TTD. I'd been using it for awhile and love it! :thumbsup

Thank you so much for all of the deadicated hard work of making AND improving such a handy and useful program!!!

I have just downloaded 1.1.1 build 90 and will finally replace 1.0.0 build 72 (which also took me a long time to upgrade to! lol). I will also check out the new 2.0.0 beta build on another box that likely still has 0.8.x or 0.9.x on it. It just gets better and better each time.

Now the only thing I can think of that TLH doesn't do for me is find the torrent, download, archive and burn an audio disc for me! Maybe in 3.0? :lol

RasviKing
2007-11-29, 10:30 AM
Skipping sub-chunk header data is not an error but Trader's Little Helper in some cases do report an error and stop processing :mad:. This is annoying but you have to wait for the fixed next release ...

Robert

I have seen this before and it usually/always happened when I had added info to the idv3 (or whatever flac uses) tag. But I'm using very old versions of TLH and this may be fixed in the current version idk as I haven't updated to it yet.

TLH has always finished working with any other files I had cued, but would not proceed to other tasks such as test decoded file for mp3 or delete source files. I guess if the program thinks there's a problem it shouldn't do anything like delete any files, but I do wish it would go ahead and do the mp3 check. (yes I know you had said that that was only really useful studio tracks but ..)

Still the best thing out there IMHO!

roann
2007-12-07, 10:21 AM
Well, it took *much* longer than expected ... but now the final build of the v2.0.0 release of Trader's Little Helper has been finished. There are lots of new things (see the incomplete summary below). The new release is available here (http://tlh.easytree.org). Some of the new features:

- support of mp3 format
- support of mkw format
- support of flac v1.2.1
- re-encoding of flac files
- direct conversion ape/flac/shn/mkw to flac or mp3
- creation/ verification of sfv checksum files
- creation of single-file torrents
- torrent file checker
- sizeable interface ("request of the year")

Note (*only* for users of one the pre-releases): You cannot use the integrated 'Check for update' function to get the new installer because the download server used by the pre-releases doesn't exist anymore.

Robert

possessed
2007-12-07, 10:48 AM
I was just going to post that.

Thanks Robert. Gonna give it a try this weekend. :thumbsup

Patty Mac
2007-12-07, 11:16 PM
Thx for the update, can't believe it but the best just keeps getting better. :clap:

wharfrat73
2007-12-08, 05:37 AM
Is there a workaround for TLH requiring shntool in the command line apps folder? I need shntool in the windows folder because I use a lot of features of the program that aren't available in TLH.

Why is TLH trying to include the .txt file when verifying checksums?

roann
2007-12-08, 09:06 AM
After installing the new v2.0.0 build 142 the icons of some audio files and the icons of all checksum files are messed up in Windows Explorer (nothing serious, just no and/or the wrong icons). Sorry, my bad! If you'd like to punish me for my inexcusable stupidity give me a call, young hot women preferred ;-) ... Anyway, there's a fixed release (build 143) available now via TLH homepage or 'Check for update' function.

Is there a workaround for TLH requiring shntool in the command line apps folder? I need shntool in the windows folder because I use a lot of features of the program that aren't available in TLH.Just *copy* shntool.exe to your Windows folder, TLH isn't "interested" (anymore) in what is happening in that folder. What features of shntool you'd like to see in TLH?

Why is TLH trying to include the .txt file when verifying checksums?Files with .txt extension were always allowed in the 'Verify checksum files' section.

Robert

wharfrat73
2007-12-08, 09:24 AM
Just *copy* shntool.exe to your Windows folder, TLH isn't "interested" (anymore) in what is happening in that folder. What features of shntool you'd like to see in TLH?

Excellent, thanks.

Files with .txt extension were always allowed in the 'Verify checksum files' section.

Robert

Yes, but now they seem to be in there by default. IMO, it was better to have to add those manually or at least to have the ability to remove them from the queue. It's a pretty minor problem overall.

beeerlover
2007-12-12, 09:58 AM
I just wanted to say thanks!
Thanks for a great APP!
& Thanks for including Yeeshkul Tracker in the default announce URLs!!!

Seth01
2007-12-12, 11:22 AM
At the risk of sounding like a me-too'er, I'm going to say that I echo beeer's sentiments above. I use TLH every single day and it is an invaluable piece of software to me that makes my hobby that much more easier and better so thank you very much for that. And what a neat idea with the torrent maker! I too am grateful for the inclusion of Yeeshkul.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Seth

roann
2007-12-12, 12:14 PM
I just wanted to say thanks!
Thanks for a great APP!
At the risk of sounding like a me-too'er, I'm going to say that I echo beeer's sentiments above. I use TLH every single day and it is an invaluable piece of software to me that makes my hobby that much more easier and better so thank you very much for that. And what a neat idea with the torrent maker!
Thanks for all your hard work.You're welcome, thanks for your kind words!

& Thanks for including Yeeshkul Tracker in the default announce URLs!!!
I too am grateful for the inclusion of Yeeshkul.Wasn't Yeeshkul already included with TLH 1.1.1.90? Anyway, just added a few trackers that I know of to the default list ... it you want me to add others trackers that allow uploading torrents and support lossless audio, just send me name and exact announce url and I'll add the data to the default announce URLs. BTW you can do this yourself on the 'Create torrent file' page of TLH ...

Robert

wharfrat73
2007-12-12, 05:07 PM
Using v.2.0.1 (build 143) I'm getting this report when verifying a .ffp

Checksum file 'F:\doc1986-01-12.aud.unknown.sbefail.flac16\doc1986-01-12-ffp.ffp'

Line 01: file '01 - Track 01.flac' verified ok (checksum does match).
Line 02: file '02 - Track 02.flac' is possibly truncated or corrupt.
Line 03: file '03 - Track 03.flac' is possibly truncated or corrupt.
Line 04: file '04 - Track 04.flac' verified ok (checksum does match).
Line 05: file '05 - Track 05.flac' verified ok (checksum does match).
Line 06: file '06 - Track 06.flac' is possibly truncated or corrupt.
Line 07: file '07 - Track 07.flac' is possibly truncated or corrupt.
Line 08: file '08 - Track 08.flac' verified ok (checksum does match).
Line 09: file '09 - Track 09.flac' is possibly truncated or corrupt.
Line 10: file '10 - Track 10.flac' verified ok (checksum does match).
Line 11: file '11 - Track 11.flac' is possibly truncated or corrupt.
Line 12: file '12 - Track 12.flac' is possibly truncated or corrupt.
Line 13: file '13 - Track 13.flac' verified ok (checksum does match).
Line 14: file '14 - Track 14.flac' verified ok (checksum does match).
Line 15: file '15 - Track 15.flac' is possibly truncated or corrupt.
Line 16: file '16 - Track 16.flac' verified ok (checksum does match).
Line 17: file '17 - Track 17.flac' verified ok (checksum does match).
Line 18: file '18 - Track 18.flac' is possibly truncated or corrupt.
Line 19: file '19 - Track 19.flac' verified ok (checksum does match).
Line 20: file '20 - Track 20.flac' is possibly truncated or corrupt.
Line 21: file '21 - Track 21.flac' is possibly truncated or corrupt.
Line 22: file '22 - Track 22.flac' verified ok (checksum does match).
Line 23: file '23 - Track 23.flac' is possibly truncated or corrupt.
Line 24: file '24 - Track 24.flac' is possibly truncated or corrupt.
Line 25: file '25 - Track 25.flac' verified ok (checksum does match).
Line 26: file '26 - Track 26.flac' is possibly truncated or corrupt.
Line 27: file '27- Track 27.flac' is possibly truncated or corrupt.
Line 28: file '28 - Track 28.flac' verified ok (checksum does match).

No errors occured.

When decoding with TLH:
01 - Track 01.flac: successfully decoded to '01 - Track 01.wav'.
02 - Track 02.flac: flac fingerprint cannot be checked since it was unset in the streaminfo block.
03 - Track 03.flac: flac fingerprint cannot be checked since it was unset in the streaminfo block.
04 - Track 04.flac: successfully decoded to '04 - Track 04.wav'.
05 - Track 05.flac: successfully decoded to '05 - Track 05.wav'.
06 - Track 06.flac: flac fingerprint cannot be checked since it was unset in the streaminfo block.
07 - Track 07.flac: flac fingerprint cannot be checked since it was unset in the streaminfo block.
08 - Track 08.flac: successfully decoded to '08 - Track 08.wav'.
09 - Track 09.flac: flac fingerprint cannot be checked since it was unset in the streaminfo block.
10 - Track 10.flac: successfully decoded to '10 - Track 10.wav'.
11 - Track 11.flac: flac fingerprint cannot be checked since it was unset in the streaminfo block.
12 - Track 12.flac: flac fingerprint cannot be checked since it was unset in the streaminfo block.
13 - Track 13.flac: successfully decoded to '13 - Track 13.wav'.
14 - Track 14.flac: successfully decoded to '14 - Track 14.wav'.
15 - Track 15.flac: flac fingerprint cannot be checked since it was unset in the streaminfo block.
16 - Track 16.flac: successfully decoded to '16 - Track 16.wav'.
17 - Track 17.flac: successfully decoded to '17 - Track 17.wav'.
18 - Track 18.flac: flac fingerprint cannot be checked since it was unset in the streaminfo block.
19 - Track 19.flac: successfully decoded to '19 - Track 19.wav'.
20 - Track 20.flac: flac fingerprint cannot be checked since it was unset in the streaminfo block.
21 - Track 21.flac: flac fingerprint cannot be checked since it was unset in the streaminfo block.
22 - Track 22.flac: successfully decoded to '22 - Track 22.wav'.
23 - Track 23.flac: flac fingerprint cannot be checked since it was unset in the streaminfo block.
24 - Track 24.flac: flac fingerprint cannot be checked since it was unset in the streaminfo block.
25 - Track 25.flac: successfully decoded to '25 - Track 25.wav'.
26 - Track 26.flac: flac fingerprint cannot be checked since it was unset in the streaminfo block.
27- Track 27.flac: flac fingerprint cannot be checked since it was unset in the streaminfo block.
28 - Track 28.flac: successfully decoded to '28 - Track 28.wav'.

There were errors.

When I test with FLAC Frontend:

flac 1.1.2, Copyright (C) 2000,2001,2002,2003,2004,2005 Josh Coalson
flac comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software, and you are
welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions. Type `flac' for details.

08 - Track 08.flac: ok

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

09 - Track 09.flac: ok

10 - Track 10.flac: ok

11 - Track 11.flac: ok

12 - Track 12.flac: ok

13 - Track 13.flac: ok

14 - Track 14.flac: ok

15 - Track 15.flac: ok

16 - Track 16.flac: ok

17 - Track 17.flac: ok

18 - Track 18.flac: ok

19 - Track 19.flac: ok

20 - Track 20.flac: ok

21 - Track 21.flac: ok

22 - Track 22.flac: ok

23 - Track 23.flac: ok

24 - Track 24.flac: ok

25 - Track 25.flac: ok

26 - Track 26.flac: ok

27- Track 27.flac: ok

28 - Track 28.flac: ok

01 - Track 01.flac: ok

02 - Track 02.flac: ok

03 - Track 03.flac: ok

04 - Track 04.flac: ok

05 - Track 05.flac: ok

06 - Track 06.flac: ok

07 - Track 07.flac: ok

Press any key to continue . . .

When I decode with FLAC Frontend I get:

08 - Track 08.flac: done

09 - Track 09.flac: done

10 - Track 10.flac: done

11 - Track 11.flac: done

12 - Track 12.flac: done

13 - Track 13.flac: done

14 - Track 14.flac: done

15 - Track 15.flac: done

16 - Track 16.flac: done

17 - Track 17.flac: done

18 - Track 18.flac: done

19 - Track 19.flac: done

20 - Track 20.flac: done

21 - Track 21.flac: done

22 - Track 22.flac: done

23 - Track 23.flac: done

24 - Track 24.flac: done

25 - Track 25.flac: done

26 - Track 26.flac: done

27- Track 27.flac: done

28 - Track 28.flac: done

01 - Track 01.flac: done

02 - Track 02.flac: done

03 - Track 03.flac: done

04 - Track 04.flac: done

05 - Track 05.flac: done

06 - Track 06.flac: done

07 - Track 07.flac: done

Press any key to continue . . .

The possibly truncated or corrupt files play fine on my PC. How can I help figure out what the problem is?

----------------
Listening to: foobar2000 v0.9.4.3 (http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/-/track/foobar2000+v0.9.4.3)

roann
2007-12-13, 03:16 AM
Using v.2.0.1 (build 143) I'm getting this report when verifying a .ffp

Checksum file 'F:\doc1986-01-12.aud.unknown.sbefail.flac16\doc1986-01-12-ffp.ffp'

1) Decoding with TLH
The error message "flac fingerprint cannot be checked since it was unset in the streaminfo block." means that the fingerprint stored in the header of the flac file was/is zero-ed (and as such is invalid).

2) Verifying .ffp file with TLH
Due to 1) TLH detects that a) the fingerprint given in the .ffp file doesn't match the one in the flac file header and b) the re-calculated checksum of the decoded flac data doesn't match the one in the flac file header. Conclusion: flac file is corrupt.

3) Decoding/testing with FLAC frontend
TLH uses flac 1.2.1, FLAC frontend uses flac 1.1.2. I think v1.1.2 should detect such an error but I have to test it to see what happens.

Just to be sure: Is there a way I can get one of those files TLH reports as erroneous (show is still downloadable, or RapidShare, or ...)?

Robert

roann
2007-12-13, 05:45 AM
@wharfrat73 (in addition to my post above):

I did a couple of tests. Here are the results.

a) flac 1.1.2 (used by FLAC Frontend) is not capable to detect a zero-ed flac fingerprint in the file's header (or just ignores such a fingerprint). So if there will be no other error detected testing/decoding will be done without any error message.

b) flac 1.2.1 (used by TLH) is capable to detect a zero-ed flac fingerprint in the file's header and will show an error message when testing/decoding such a file.

c) If this "fingerprint error" is the only error you can decode the flac file with TLH using the option "Decode through errors". You'll get a successfully decoded file but you cannot be sure whether the decoded audio data matches the original wav data before it was flac-ed.

Robert

PS: No need anymore for a flac file to test.

suburbanDK
2007-12-16, 02:32 PM
I've just DL'd TLH 2.0.1 (143) and can't add files to process;
can't drag 'n' drop, no "browse" button, nada.

I assumed it might be a screen resolution problem and tried
several to no effect.
I removed TLH and re-installed (with re-boot in between).

Can anyone help?

thanks, subDK

suburbanDK
2007-12-16, 09:04 PM
....and here's a screenshot from "Format/Encode" that more clearly shows my problem. This is a full screen screenshot.
I've tried combinations of screen resolution & font size; nothing has helped.

roann
2007-12-17, 03:18 AM
....and here's a screenshot from "Format/Encode" that more clearly shows my problem. This is a full screen screenshot.
I've tried combinations of screen resolution & font size; nothing has helped.The TLH window is sizeable (with the mouse, for example). To see the "Add" button you just have to enlarge the size of the application window.

It is *very* strange that the window is too small because at startup TLH ensures to be opened with a size that is at least the one given at design time (a size all boxes, button, etc are visible).

Robert

starman714
2007-12-17, 03:34 AM
Not a big problem here, but is there a way to keep it from associating torrent files with itself?
I could re-associate my audio files with foobar2000, but I like to keep my torrent files unassociated with anything...just a quirk of mine.
Other than that it seems great so far. Thanks for freely sharing all your work !

Bootzilla
2007-12-17, 09:14 AM
Hi, I am having the exact same sizing problem as suburbanDK with Build 143 on an Windows XP machine. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

suburbanDK
2007-12-17, 09:31 AM
First thing I tried....nope, resizing the window (either by mouse or going full screen, which is why I mentioned it one of my posts) does NOT work, it's definitely a problem with the program in my (and apparently at least one other) computer.

In the past when I've encountered this, setting fonts to "normal" and/or going to a lower resolution has helped; this doesn't help with TLH.

At this point, it's totally unusable.
Is there an earlier build I can try to see if the same thing happens?

subDK

roann
2007-12-17, 12:14 PM
Not a big problem here, but is there a way to keep it from associating torrent files with itself?
I could re-associate my audio files with foobar2000, but I like to keep my torrent files unassociated with anything...just a quirk of mine...You can remove *all* file associations via the Preferences dialog. You have to do this manually via Explorer's file options (or directly via Registry) if you want only a single type of file de-associated.

First thing I tried....nope, resizing the window (either by mouse or going full screen, which is why I mentioned it one of my posts) does NOT work, it's definitely a problem with the program in my (and apparently at least one other) computer.

In the past when I've encountered this, setting fonts to "normal" and/or going to a lower resolution has helped; this doesn't help with TLH.I recommend contacting me via email. Due to a water pipe burst in the appartment above mine that "flooded" two of my rooms the next about two weeks I won't be able to test or code a single line. I'm writing this on a friend's notebook, so please send me an email with *details*: screen resolution, font size, XP Theme if used, ... so I will be able to set my system to the same settings you use. It's the only way to see what happens on my side. But as said, you have to be patient ...

Is there an earlier build I can try to see if the same thing happens?Yes, there is, but I can't access the machine it's on because that machine was "killed" by the water :-((. It seems that the HD can be revived but not before the next week. In a nutshell: it's pure chaos over here ...

Robert

Treadmore
2007-12-17, 02:35 PM

In the past when I've encountered this, setting fonts to "normal" and/or going to a lower resolution has helped; this doesn't help with TLH.

Is there an earlier build I can try to see if the same thing happens?

subDK

I just found the same problem myself; I had a similar issue with MakeTorrent in that case it was the screen aspect ratio causing the problem. I suspect it's the same with TLH :rolleyes:

So I've gone back to v1 :lol

suburbanDK
2007-12-18, 05:20 PM
What I found is that it's the Display DPI setting that was the problem:
Display Properties/Settings/Advanced/Display

With 96 DPI, no problem,
with 120 DPI, the right portion of the windows are truncated and cannot be viewed.

I use this setting because my wife's legally blind with Best's disease and needs all the help she can get
(but hates to have HUGE fonts, etc. setup just for her).

subDK

ep620
2007-12-19, 08:40 AM
Sorry to hear about the water issues. I work in construction and have dealt with water damage before. It sucks. :(

Thanks for TLH. I've used it for a while and it rocks. :thumbsup

I just changed my comp to XP pro. sp 2 and loaded THL 2.0.1 for the fist time. I was wondering if the tabs were eliminated or am I missing something.

Thanks for all the effort. Happy Holidays. :wave:

roann
2007-12-22, 01:34 PM
Sorry to hear about the water issues. I work in construction and have dealt with water damage before. It sucks. :( Yeah, it's ... §%#!$ ...

Thanks for TLH. I've used it for a while and it rocks. :thumbsup Thanks!

I just changed my comp to XP pro. sp 2 and loaded THL 2.0.1 for the fist time. I was wondering if the tabs were eliminated or am I missing something.Tabs *are* eliminated, TLH now uses a special form of though reading ... no, just kidding. Use the (new) menu structure at the top of the TLH window.
For example, "Format" > "Decode audio files" or "Checksum" > "Create checksum file" ...

Robert

Bootzilla
2007-12-22, 10:50 PM
What I found is that it's the Display DPI setting that was the problem:
Display Properties/Settings/Advanced/Display

With 96 DPI, no problem,
with 120 DPI, the right portion of the windows are truncated and cannot be viewed.

I use this setting because my wife's legally blind with Best's disease and needs all the help she can get
(but hates to have HUGE fonts, etc. setup just for her).

subDK

I tried switching to 96 DPI, but it didn't help. Can someone please post a link as to where to download TLH v.1x? Thanks.

ep620
2007-12-22, 11:44 PM
I tried switching to 96 DPI, but it didn't help. Can someone please post a link as to where to download TLH v.1x? Thanks.

I could probably e-mail it. Send me a pm if you want me to try.

Bootzilla
2007-12-25, 10:04 AM
I am now running Version 1.1.1 (Build 90) and I am receiving the dreaded and seemingly random "Access violation at address XXXXXXXX in module RICHED20.dll" error message approximately every other time when I check for SBE's. This crashes the program and requires that I hit "Ctrl-Alt-Delete" to close it. Any ideas on how to avoid this issue? Thanks, and happy holidays.

ezkil
2007-12-30, 12:08 PM
First of all: Great program!:clap: Much easier to handle checksums for me now.

But: Why does the program mess upp my file associations and icons? I didn't even have a choice when installing to avoid it. Now I have to fix that manually - and I can't recommend this program to anyone with less computer knowledge than myself. Too bad!

And last: :wave:Happy New Year!:wave: to all of you!

roann
2007-12-31, 08:46 AM
First of all: Great program!:clap: Much easier to handle checksums for me now.Thanks.

But: Why does the program mess upp my file associations and icons?The TLH installer does *not* do that at all (it never did). If icons are already associated with a *supported* file type the installer neither will install another icon nor change the existing link. The same for file associations of *supported* file types: existing associations will stay untouched, only in the file's context menu a TLH item is added. The only exception are some of the *supported* checksum file asscociations/icons.

I didn't even have a choice when installing to avoid it.You *do* have a choice because during setup you will be asked whether you want to integrate TLH into Windows Explorer or not. And if you won't be asked you've answered that question before in an earlier install.

Now I have to fix that manually - and I can't recommend this program to anyone with less computer knowledge than myself. Too bad!Not really because it seems there aren't so many people with less computer knowledge than you ...

Robert

GregY
2008-01-03, 08:39 PM
TLH 2.0.1 b143 seemed to wreak havoc with my file associations as other people have pointed out. It took over all .txt file associations. This was on an almost fresh load of Windows XP SP2 with all patches and very few other apps installed. For example, after installing TLH, I went to the Start Menu to open the Change Log ("C:\Program Files\Trader's Little Helper\changelog.txt") - the text file opened using TLH, instead of my default text editor. TLH had associated itself with the .txt extension somehow. I was able to fix it by manually going through and restoring each extension that TLH had taken over.

Also, in the newest version, when decoding FLAC, it flashes a DOS box for every file it decodes. This box goes right to the front instead of staying behind the active window. Kinda a pain if you're trying to do other tasks while files are decoding. I don't remember seeing the DOS box flash for every file decode in previous versions of TLH - it all seemed to be 'behind the scenes.'

I never had either of these issues with a previous version of TLH. And I'm not a PC noob either. I'm going to try to find a previous version and hope these kinks can be worked out. TLH is amazing and it's something I 'need' to use everyday.

roann
2008-01-04, 08:27 AM
TLH 2.0.1 b143 seemed to wreak havoc with my file associations as other people have pointed out.Besides you up to now it's *only* ezkil (see post above) who has reported this, but for specific reasons I don't believe it's true what (s)he's saying.

It took over all .txt file associations.There can be only *one* file association for file type .txt (you know this if you're familiar with the way Windows handles file associations via the registry). Please don't take this as a offence, but I don't give credit to this take over. Why? The installer will *not* associate .txt files with TLH (it never did).

This was on an almost fresh load of Windows XP SP2 with all patches and very few other apps installed. For example, after installing TLH, I went to the Start Menu to open the Change Log ("C:\Program Files\Trader's Little Helper\changelog.txt") - the text file opened using TLH, instead of my default text editor.As I said above ... TLH is not some kind of text editor. What page TLH was opened with?

TLH had associated itself with the .txt extension somehow. I was able to fix it by manually going through and restoring each extension that TLH had taken over.What other extensions TLH had taken over?

Also, in the newest version, when decoding FLAC, it flashes a DOS box for every file it decodes. This box goes right to the front instead of staying behind the active window. Kinda a pain if you're trying to do other tasks while files are decoding. I don't remember seeing the DOS box flash for every file decode in previous versions of TLH - it all seemed to be 'behind the scenes.'Flashing a DOS box is inevitable the way TLH handles decoding now. *But* it's only a flash because after the box has been created it will be hidden immediately. So you cannot see the box. The only thing I can confirm is that TLH "steals" the focus from another task you're running while decoding each time a new file is processed. This will be fixed with the next release.

I never had either of these issues with a previous version of TLH. And I'm not a PC noob either. I'm going to try to find a previous version and hope these kinks can be worked out. TLH is amazing and it's something I 'need' to use everyday.*Always* get the installer from here (http://tlh.easytree.org/), or use TLH via "Help" > "Check for update ...", or get the installer from me (just send me an email, specially if you want an older release). *Never* get TLH from other locations or other people.

Robert

landesm
2008-01-04, 03:10 PM
Hi just a quick thanks sent your way. Just what I need.
m

GregY
2008-01-04, 03:13 PM
There can be only *one* file association for file type .txt (you know this if you're familiar with the way Windows handles file associations via the registry). Please don't take this as a offence, but I don't give credit to this take over. Why? The installer will *not* associate .txt files with TLH (it never did).

What other extensions TLH had taken over?

Perhaps it's some sort of mixup between Notepad++ and TLH (?). I had previously installed Notepad++ and associated it with .txt, .log, and .ini files. Once I installed TLH, all of these had their default associations switched to TLH. So when I tried to open the change log file, which is a .txt file, through the start menu, it opened via TLH, which of course had no idea what it was.

I don't know if I have time right now to retry this in order to exactly reproduce my steps. I wish I had a VM install of Windows XP to futz with but I don't. If I have time over the next week or so to try to reproduce this and report more specific steps, I will.

The only thing I can confirm is that TLH "steals" the focus from another task you're running while decoding each time a new file is processed. This will be fixed with the next release.

Awesome! :thumbsup

roann
2008-01-05, 04:50 AM
Perhaps it's some sort of mixup between Notepad++ and TLH (?). I had previously installed Notepad++ and associated it with .txt, .log, and .ini files. Once I installed TLH, all of these had their default associations switched to TLH.This *is* really weird :hmm: As I said earlier the TLH installer isn't "interested" at all in .txt, .log, or .ini file associations :hmm: ...

I don't know if I have time right now to retry this in order to exactly reproduce my steps. I wish I had a VM install of Windows XP to futz with but I don't. If I have time over the next week or so to try to reproduce this and report more specific steps, I will.If you don't have a VM maybe using system restore points will help. If you retry the installation(s) please do *not* install TLH by double-clicking the installer file. Run the installer with the parameter /LOG via Start > Run instead (command line is something like "YourDrive:\YourDir\tralihxxx.exe /LOG"). This will generate a (very) long installation log in your Documents And Settings folder that may give you a hint where things went wrong.

Robert

roann
2008-01-07, 10:43 AM
TLH version 2.1.0 (build 147) has been released. Amongst others it fixes the bugs of the last release (build 143) that were reported by users:

access violation error messages when testing wav files for mp3
catching focus from another application each time a new file is processed messed up GUI when using Windows font size settings greater than 96 DPI (large fonts)
Many users don't like the way some tasks are pooled in build 143. So I changed things a bit (again) with the new release:

"Test encoded audio files" has been moved from the decoding section to a new page.
"Re-encode flac files" has been moved from the wav encoding section to a new page.
"Checking audio files for SBEs" has been moved from the "Show audio file details" page to new page.
Note that now there's no SBE related *summary* given anymore on the "Show ... details" page.

The 'Preferences' dialog was updated to reflect the changes described above. Due to lack of space those pages has been removed that don't offer any changeable default settings.

Robert

GregY
2008-01-09, 04:41 PM
TLH version 2.1.0 (build 147) has been released. Amongst others it fixes the bugs of the last release (build 143) that were reported by users:

catching focus from another application each time a new file is processed

Due to the flashing DOS box, it will still cause a displayed menu (e.g. Start Menu, or a right-click menu) to disappear. The popups caused problems in other areas, for example when I was entering a URL in the Firefox address bar.

I hope my findings above are constructive.

I found that I had an old version on another of my PC's so I've gone back to 1.1.1 b90. I didn't experience any problems with file associations when uninstalled 2.1.0 b147 and installed 1.1.1 b90.

By the way, I tried to run the 2.1.0 b147 installed with the /log parameter but I couldn't find any generated log file.

Thanks.

tunic
2008-01-13, 03:50 AM
Hey,

I downloaded this show with Soulseek (I know ...) from someone who was sharing the files in both .wav and .mkw (don't ask me why). When I checked the Audio File Details with TLH build 147, the conclusion was that no errors occurred. But track 4 is corrupt, and the last track has a sector boundary error. See the attached screenshot.

I downloaded the set first as .mkw, then discovered track 4 to be corrupt so downloaded that file in .wav but it's also corrupt. I can't play the track with winamp, nor open it with Audacity. When I opened it with CD Wave editor, I was able to play the first few minutes, the rest is junk.
The other files were transferred to .wav by me.

Thanks Robert for a marvellous program. I hope your house is back in order a bit.

roann
2008-01-13, 08:16 AM
<snip> When I checked the Audio File Details with TLH build 147, the conclusion was that no errors occurred. But track 4 is corrupt, and the last track has a sector boundary error. See the attached screenshot. </snip>With build 147 the way TLH handles Show audio file details has changed (see changelog that comes with TLH): Show audio files details now "just" shows you what shntool puts out. Checking for SBEs has been completely removed (now this can be done using the new stand-alone page Check audio files for SBEs).

That's why a) the Fix SBEs button is missing, and b) there's no conclusion There were sector boundary errors or There were no sector boundary errors displayed. The conclusion you get now is No errors occured or There were errors. This tells you whether there were errors processing the source files (the interpretation of the shntool output is up to the user).

In your case shntool was able to process all files (i.e. to read those file parts needed to get all the information displayed) without any error, and so you got a There were no errors conclusion.

Maybe I should change the conclusion to ... processing the files?

<snip> I downloaded the set first as .mkw, then discovered track 4 to be corrupt so downloaded that file in .wav but it's also corrupt. I can't play the track with winamp, nor open it with Audacity. When I opened it with CD Wave editor, I was able to play the first few minutes, the rest is junk. </snip>Encoded files can be tested for corruption using the Test encoded audio files page. For wav files there's no TLH subcomponent that can (completely) handle this. As I said it's up to you to interprete the shntool output. The length and the ratio of track 4 indicate that the file is corrupt.

Maybe I should add a function that checks for zero length and a ratio greater than 1?

Robert

shadyogrady
2008-01-14, 04:43 PM
OK, I need help. I've figured out how to take silver CDs, convert to WAV files then convert to FLAC files. I have them placed in a folder on my desktop titled TTD. I have created a text file of show date, lineage, set list, etc. and placed it in the TTD file. I created the checksum file using Fastsum and placed it in the TTD folder. Then I dropped the entire TTD folder on the Drop Torrent shortcut on my desktop and it created the torrent file. I then tried to upload the torrent file to seed. It didn't work. What am I doing wrong? What is the best location (C: drive, Desktop) to save a torrent file that you plan to seed? Where/when do you save the tracker address or link for the torrent? Am I close or do I need to start from scratch? I have a few great boots I'd love to share but can't get over the hump. Anyone who can help this torrently challenged Irishman, it would be much appreciated.

Shady

roann
2008-01-15, 04:39 AM
OK, I need help. I've figured out how to take silver CDs, convert to WAV files then convert to FLAC files. I have them placed in a folder on my desktop titled TTD. I have created a text file of show date, lineage, set list, etc. and placed it in the TTD file. I created the checksum file using Fastsum and placed it in the TTD folder. Then I dropped the entire TTD folder on the Drop Torrent shortcut on my desktop and it created the torrent file. I then tried to upload the torrent file to seed. It didn't work. What am I doing wrong? What is the best location (C: drive, Desktop) to save a torrent file that you plan to seed? Where/when do you save the tracker address or link for the torrent? Am I close or do I need to start from scratch? I have a few great boots I'd love to share but can't get over the hump. Anyone who can help this torrently challenged Irishman, it would be much appreciated.Shady, it seems you ended up in the wrong thread. This one is for all issues related to a program called Trader's Little Helper. Please post general question(s) in the Technobabble forum using the New Thread button.

Robert

macacopowa
2008-01-15, 05:32 AM
thanks for this excellent program!

ep620
2008-01-15, 10:01 AM
Hey Roan. Any chance of getting some kind of batch tagging add on. The whole tag and picture thing seems pretty cool. One again: thanks for the program. Hope the water issues are working out. Don't let the insurance companies bend you over. :wave:

germain
2008-01-16, 08:13 PM
I've been having a couple of difficulties since I downloaded v 147. First, I'm unable to create checksums for existing files. The window opens to browse and I'm able to select the files, but there is no button that places the selected files in the primary TLH window. The browser window appears truncated across the bottom, possibly cutting off the the add button.

I noticed the new feature that allows one to convert directly from shn to flac without first creating wav files. However, no create checksum files is included in that option. I must continue to go through the wav step in order to create checksums for the flac files.

In the middle of the process of going wav > flac, then creating checksums, error messages begin pile up one on top of another, one error window for each file. The message says something about files out of boundary. I have to click off each window in order to get TLH to begin creating a checksum file.

I've tried completely removing the program and reinstalling but get the same results.

I'd be thankful for any assistance.

roann
2008-01-17, 10:50 AM
I've been having a couple of difficulties since I downloaded v 147. First, I'm unable to create checksums for existing files. The window opens to browse and I'm able to select the files, but there is no button that places the selected files in the primary TLH window.Select the files in the left-sided window (Folders and files in root directory) and press the Add button. The selected files will be displayed in the right-sided window (Added files). Now press the OK button.

The browser window appears truncated across the bottom, possibly cutting off the the add button.??? ... Please provide a screenshot (TLH offers a function for that, see menu Tools.

I noticed the new feature that allows one to convert directly from shn to flac without first creating wav files. However, no create checksum files is included in that option. I must continue to go through the wav step in order to create checksums for the flac files.First convert shn to flac. Then go to the Create checksum file page. Load the flac files and create the checksum file. No wav files are needed.

In the middle of the process of going wav > flac, then creating checksums, error messages begin pile up one on top of another, one error window for each file. The message says something about files out of boundary. I have to click off each window in order to get TLH to begin creating a checksum file.Hmmm, not on my side ... what OS are you using, how many source files (or is it without reference to the number of source files), what type of checksum (or is it without reference to the type of checksum), exact wording of the error message(s), does error occur when encoding or when creating checksums?

Robert

roann
2008-01-17, 11:27 AM
TLH version v2.2.0 (build 150) has been released. Mainly the following was done:

1) A page Strip audio file header was added (see Tools menu). This implements shntool's strip mode (removes extra RIFF chunks and/or rewrites WAVE headers in canonical format).

2) The number of (flashing) console boxes when using functions from the Format section was reduced to the absolute minimum (i.e. one box per task instead of one box per file to process).

3) Newer versions of Winamp register audio file type associations in an unusual way. So if such a version of Winamp was already installed before TLH the radio buttons in the Action to perform dialog (opened when using the context menu of audio files to add them to TLH) may not be correctly en/disabled. TLH now detects this Winamp peculiarity and correctly en/disables the radio buttons in that dialog.

Robert

germain
2008-01-17, 02:56 PM
Robert,
Thanks for your reply.
My description of the possible truncation was a bit inaccurate. Viewing the screen shot image, I can highlight the files I want to add but can't place them in the right pane in order to load them into TLH. This is preventing me from creating st5 checksums for the original shn files. In turn, I have been unable to use the direct shn > flac conversion because I can not create checksums of the resulting flac files. The only way I have been to create checksums for the flac files is by going shn > wav > flac.

Even though the error message plagued me earlier today, when I tried to re-create the problem, it of course wouldn't happen. My settings are: convert to flac level 8, fix sbe errors, delete source files, create checksums. The problem had been occurring in the moment the final conversion was completed & before the create checksum process began. If it matters at this point, I'm operating Windows XP sp2.

I'll try downloading your new v2.0 and see if the problem persists. Hopefully this will all become moot.

germain
2008-01-17, 03:17 PM
I've clean installed the latest version of TLH, but continue to be unable to create checksums.

roann
2008-01-17, 04:51 PM
My description of the possible truncation was a bit inaccurate. Viewing the screen shot image, I can highlight the files I want to add but can't place them in the right pane in order to load them into TLH. This is preventing me from creating st5 checksums for the original shn files.Judging from your screenshot you're using large fonts. So I checked this with my WinXP using the 120 DPI setting (large fonts). You are right, that dialog is not properly displayed. Btw the File list and the Edit (tracker/announce) dialogs on the Create torrent page suffer from the same problem. My bad, I'll fix this asap.

In turn, I have been unable to use the direct shn > flac conversion because I can not create checksums of the resulting flac files. The only way I have been to create checksums for the flac files is by going shn > wav > flac.Now I got your point. Your workaround won't be necessary anymore when the Add dialog for the Create checksum file section is fixed.

Even though the error message plagued me earlier today, when I tried to re-create the problem, it of course wouldn't happen. My settings are: convert to flac level 8, fix sbe errors, delete source files, create checksums. The problem had been occurring in the moment the final conversion was completed & before the create checksum process began.Here I'm a bit lost ... the Convert encoding format section doesn't offer any post-converting options (fixing SBEs or creating checksums, for example). What do I miss?

I'll try downloading your new v2.0 and see if the problem persists. Hopefully this will all become moot.No, it won't, unfortunately.

Thanks for all the information. It really helped to understand what's going on your side. As long as there's no fix available the only way for you is to run WinXP with the default setting of 96 DPI (aka small fonts). Sorry for the inconvenience.

Robert

roann
2008-01-18, 05:26 AM
TLH version v2.2.1 (build 151) has been released.

When using Windows font size settings greater than 96 DPI (large fonts) the 'Add files' dialog of the 'Create checksum file' page and the 'File list to create torrent from' and 'Edit tracker list' dialogs of the 'Create torrent file' page will be properly/completely displayed now so all parts of those dialogs are accessible. Thanks again to germain for notifying the bug.

Note that the new release just fixes that bug. So if you only use small fonts (96 DPI) you may stay with build 150 (v2.2.0).

Robert

germain
2008-01-18, 03:51 PM
Thanks so much.
I had to reformat my HD last week. Ever since, the text size on web pages is all over the place. I changed the font setting to see if that would help, then forgot I'd done it. All Is well:)