PDA

View Full Version : Should we ban thoughtless leechers?

Pages : 1 [2]

Bingo969
2009-05-10, 09:23 PM
The only thing I can add to this is to remember there are people like me who have an ISP that insanely throttles upload speed.

It will take me on average about a week to upload a DVDs worth of material. That's a big part of the reason I stick mostly to audio shows. Occasionally though I find a DVD that I just can't pass up. It often will take me a month or more to "catch up" if there aren't many leechers after I get the show.

Add in that for some reason the shows I go for usually aren't the most recent or most popular and my seeding chances are often very low.

Just something to think about. I hope to get FiOS in my area eventually and can move to an insane upload pipeline but until then I have to limp along at my craptastic speeds and hope like hell I can keep my share above 1.0 but I really, REALLY have to work at it to do so.

itnAklipse
2009-05-11, 03:32 AM
Look at all these inveterate leechers trying to rationalize their stealing from the community :lol4:

Just a couple thoughts for the bad ratio types -- how many torrents have you killed by not seeding? How do you justify that? Have you ever downloaded a show that had just 1 or 2 seeders? Be glad those people don't act like you.

Some ppl DON'T WANT TO BE PART OF ANY PARTICULAR COMMUNITY in order to listen to music - i know i don't. Forst of all, i like talking to and being around REAL LIVE people rather than talking in the net. But it's not that i don't talk to people in the net, i'm always happy to make personal friends, who are actually interested in what i have to say or i'm interested in what they have to say, nor do i avoid all message boards, but to waste my time yammering about music with random people? No thanks.

We also don't live under outright communism just yet - at least in letter the western society is individualistic. You people gotta re-learn what liberty means and what are the principles behind it.

If you share your recordings, what is wrong with ppl downloading them without giving anything back? You are the one who shared unselfishly, but then you make demands. There are really nice people who share recordings and are happy people appreciate them and enjoy them - and these people don't demand anything back - except perhaps they like to know that their efforts are being appreciated - these are really DECENT sharers.

And i never jump off torrents when i'm the only seeder and someone is downloading - but that's the thing, in the end people who support individualism and liberty are actually decent people - that kind of thing isn't decided by ratio (you wanna know how many people i have sent shows just cause i've had something they wanted? At least over ten - but i SURE AS HELL wouldn't want to do it if i felt FORCED so that someone accepts me and deems me worthy - nor do i ALWAYS do it, sometimes i have my reasons not to.)

But under liberty, even being not decent should be allowed because we're all on our own trips on this planet.

Ultimately, the people who jump off torrents bveing the only seeder etc., are the only ones who know why they do that. If they feel they are doing the right thing - it's their business to learn on their own whether or not they are not. By FORCING A POLICY you will not make a SINGLE PERSON better in any way shape or form on this planet. And ultimately it's not up to you to decide what's better.

And why do i read threads just as this if i don't have time or interest in this "community"? Because i saw the title of the thread and thought i would have something constructive to say.

No need to debate with me, you'll come to your own understanding through the application of your God-given sentience - as have/will i.

direwolf-pgh
2009-05-11, 01:08 PM
Some ppl DON'T WANT TO BE PART OF ANY PARTICULAR COMMUNITY in order to listen to music - i know i don't. Forst of all, i like talking to and being around REAL LIVE people rather than talking in the net. But it's not that i don't talk to people in the net, i'm always happy to make personal friends, who are actually interested in what i have to say or i'm interested in what they have to say, nor do i avoid all message boards, but to waste my time yammering about music with random people? No thanks.

We also don't live under outright communism just yet - at least in letter the western society is individualistic. You people gotta re-learn what liberty means and what are the principles behind it.

If you share your recordings, what is wrong with ppl downloading them without giving anything back? You are the one who shared unselfishly, but then you make demands. There are really nice people who share recordings and are happy people appreciate them and enjoy them - and these people don't demand anything back - except perhaps they like to know that their efforts are being appreciated - these are really DECENT sharers.

And i never jump off torrents when i'm the only seeder and someone is downloading - but that's the thing, in the end people who support individualism and liberty are actually decent people - that kind of thing isn't decided by ratio (you wanna know how many people i have sent shows just cause i've had something they wanted? At least over ten - but i SURE AS HELL wouldn't want to do it if i felt FORCED so that someone accepts me and deems me worthy - nor do i ALWAYS do it, sometimes i have my reasons not to.)

But under liberty, even being not decent should be allowed because we're all on our own trips on this planet.

Ultimately, the people who jump off torrents bveing the only seeder etc., are the only ones who know why they do that. If they feel they are doing the right thing - it's their business to learn on their own whether or not they are not. By FORCING A POLICY you will not make a SINGLE PERSON better in any way shape or form on this planet. And ultimately it's not up to you to decide what's better.

And why do i read threads just as this if i don't have time or interest in this "community"? Because i saw the title of the thread and thought i would have something constructive to say.

No need to debate with me, you'll come to your own understanding through the application of your God-given sentience - as have/will i.:popcorn: you need to get out more often and chat with REAL LIVE PEOPLE :ah: :D

uninvited94
2009-05-11, 01:24 PM
Pre-internet real life trading definitely had a point: You had to give something if you wanted to get something. This is not about a "community", not even "karma", this is about if you understand the meaning of "trading" or not. Especially my Dime-ratio might suck big balls, but at least I´m always throwing my own shit into circulation.

rspencer
2009-05-11, 06:37 PM
I still trade. Just did 2 in the past few weeks. Lots of great shows will likely never hit the 'net.

Always good times having shows that fan sites list as "no recording exists." :D

daddyray
2009-05-11, 06:41 PM
wanna send me some? :)

freezer
2009-05-11, 06:45 PM

Sorry.

No recording exists.

daddyray
2009-05-11, 07:34 PM
:clap:

(but aren't I entitled?.....I feel entitled:))

mdshrk1
2009-05-11, 08:04 PM

(but aren't I entitled?.....I feel entitled:))

And what about the fucking thoughtless seeders? Jerks.

freezer
2009-05-11, 09:13 PM
And what about the fucking thoughtless seeders? Jerks.

Fucking thoughtless seeders are jerks???

WOW, what a concept.

:eek3:

You need to start a new thread on that topic.

Please start one in the Lounge asap.

rspencer
2009-05-11, 09:23 PM

Sorry.

No recording exists..

:D

Cornelious Jerome Garcia Oppenheimer
2009-05-12, 05:51 AM
I still trade. Just did 2 in the past few weeks. Lots of great shows will likely never hit the 'net.

Always good times having shows that fan sites list as "no recording exists." :D

Always feels good to release something previously not circulated. :thumbsup

Hoarders Suck. :down:

freezer
2009-05-12, 06:29 AM
Always feels good to release something previously not circulated. :thumbsup

:lol4:

That's only your opinion.

So what did you personally record and release? (just askin')

And for the record, I think that people with entitlement issues can chow down on dead dog dicks, in public, on Fridays during rush hour during the Xmas season. :down:

2009-05-12, 08:54 AM

That's only your opinion.

So what did you personally record and release? (just askin')

And for the record, I think that people with entitlement issues can chow down on dead dog dicks, in public, on Fridays during rush hour during the Xmas season. :down:

I have taped nothing. For awhile I was mastering shows and seeded them for a couple of tapers, back when bit torrent didn't have a fancy gui with all the bells and whistles.

And if you want to hoard, it is your prerogative, and as a Taper you don't owe anyone anything. I am not part of that school of thought. I am more referring to the people that brag about what they have and can't/won't trade. Definitely some sort of 'Look what I have and you don't' mentality that I didn't get or like in grade school either. :)

:wave:

freezer
2009-05-12, 10:28 AM
I have taped nothing.

NO Shit.

How did I guess THAT???

And if you want to hoard, it is your prerogative,

Thanks, but no one needs YOUR permission to do anything.

But, again, thanks for the condesending remark.

Currently I'm teaching a college level course in hoarding.

I'll be sure to include your permission slip as the end of the semester to all the graduates.

and as a Taper you don't owe anyone anything. I am not part of that school of thought. I am more referring to the people that brag about what they have and can't/won't trade. Definitely some sort of 'Look what I have and you don't' mentality that I didn't get or like in grade school either. :)

Bullshit, I own what I taped and end of story. And that's NOT bragging, except to someone who is jumping to a conclusion.

Good luck with that.

And NO one is teasing you with anything, because no recordings were mentioned.

My friend, that looks to be some sort of misunderstanding that might be dating as far back as grammer school.

You might want to seek professional help in that regards.

uninvited94
2009-05-12, 10:35 AM
Before this totally goes off course once again, could we come back to the topic, please?

daddyray
2009-05-12, 10:36 AM

oh you and your utterly reasonable statements, Freezer...what are we gonna do with you? :cool:

2009-05-12, 10:52 AM
I have taped nothing.

NO Shit.

How did I guess THAT???

Thanks, but no one needs YOUR permission to do anything.

But, again, thanks for the condesending remark.

Currently I'm teaching a college level course in hoarding.

I'll be sure to include your permission slip as the end of the semester to all the graduates.

and as a Taper you don't owe anyone anything. I am not part of that school of thought. I am more referring to the people that brag about what they have and can't/won't trade. Definitely some sort of 'Look what I have and you don't' mentality that I didn't get or like in grade school either. :)

Bullshit, I own what I taped and end of story. And that's NOT bragging, except to someone who is jumping to a conclusion.

Good luck with that.

And NO one is teasing you with anything, because no recordings were mentioned.

My friend, that looks to be some sort of misunderstanding that might be dating as far back as grammer school.

You might want to seek professional help in that regards.

Look again. I said and as a Taper you don't owe anyone anything
You see, I have mostly agreed with all of your rants about said topic. I even tried to explain I was more referring to the collectors, not the tapers.

It's OK, I did the exact same thing in the Jerry thread I started. One little word changes the whole meaning.

shopkin
2009-05-12, 11:28 AM
phew...glad thats over.......

freezer
2009-05-12, 07:00 PM
Look again. I said and as a Taper you don't owe anyone anything
You see, I have mostly agreed with all of your rants about said topic. I even tried to explain I was more referring to the collectors, not the tapers.

OK, I looked again.

What difference who it is that's "hoarding"? The taper or someone who got a copy directly from the taper, no difference. It's none of your business.

Carping about "hoarding" is tantamount to whining about entitlement issues. Your entitlement issues are poking out here.

So I went and I looked again.....I wasn't able to tell that you "was more referring to collectors", because you didn't use that word, "collectors".

I apologize for not immediately knowing what you meant.

I'll try to do better next time in translating your written words from what it is that you really are thinking.

Forgive me for not knowing immediately. I apologize.

It's OK, I did the exact same thing in the Jerry thread I started. One little word changes the whole meaning.

You meant, like the omission of the word "collectors" ??

Ok. Then I apologize again for not knowing what words were omitted.

Sorry, my bad... I thought you were tossing down the gauntlet when you proclaimed:

I didn't try to read what you say you meant, I read only the written words there and I thought you meant what you clearly said.

Again I apologize profusely.

But I will continue "hoarding" whatever the fuck I wanna hoard, whether I taped it myself OR if I got it from someone else. And it's still nobody else's fucking business... Again, I don't need permission nor approval. Nobody else needs permission nor approval from the Brain Police on this issue.

Oh, and I certainly would NEVER know what was said in a "Jerry" thread, because I don't give a fuck about no "Jerry" and I don't read anything like that... unless Jerry has got "Tom" with him. Then it's interesting to me.

Before this totally goes off course once again, could we come back to the topic, please?

Again I apologize.

Please, please... by all means, please get back to your topic.

Sorry I ever disturbed this private flame fest again.

I'll tip out now and let you get this thread back to vehemently hating vladsmythe.

:rolleyes:

dementrium
2009-05-13, 10:53 PM

No need to debate with me, you'll come to your own understanding through the application of your God-given sentience - as have/will i.

exactly my point! :vino: :grr:

inspector clouseau
2009-05-16, 11:29 PM
Bad Ratio. A petty crime, yes.

Karst
2009-05-17, 05:53 AM

You here?

Oh no.

Heartland getting to small for you?

:down:

nameloc01
2009-05-17, 01:15 PM
Torrenting=not good.

-It enables and encourages the "instant gratification" mentality.
-It does not foster a sense of community that is present amongst "real" traders.
-It demotes the hobby of taping. People realize they can sit in their basement and push a few buttons thus getting them practically any show they want,without giving the slightest bit of anything back to the "community".

AAR.oner
2009-05-17, 03:33 PM
Torrenting=not good.

-It does not foster a sense of community that is present amongst "real" traders.
-It demotes the hobby of taping. People realize they can sit in their basement and push a few buttons thus getting them practically any show they want,without giving the slightest bit of anything back to the "community".

daddyray
2009-05-17, 03:38 PM
a horse n buggy fan? :)

time marches forward even if it isn't progress

freezer
2009-05-17, 09:02 PM
a horse n buggy fan? :)

time marches forward even if it isn't progress

Didn't someone just offer you some uncirculated masters if you'd seed them and you turned them down because you weren't up to speed in that regard?

One step forward and two steps backwards... just tell 'em you're dancing, pappy.....

If you need me, for the next hour or so I'll be in the rehearsal room, practicing some I-IV-V blues progressions on my Mississippi 'saxophone' --

games
2009-05-17, 09:13 PM
Torrenting=not good.

-It demotes the hobby of taping. People realize they can sit in their basement and push a few buttons thus getting them practically any show they want,without giving the slightest bit of anything back to the "community".Welcome to the YouTube generation Hopalong..
Every gadget records and everyone has a gadget - get over it.

JoeMgdi
2009-05-18, 09:47 AM
As a thoughtless seeder, I have determined that I have little to say and that the opinions here are of low or no value.

rspencer
2009-05-18, 12:11 PM
:stfu:

daddyray
2009-05-18, 01:05 PM
I have never been formally offered anything, my good man. I was sent a few questions in a PM.....
Perhaps you are referring to the jazz n heritage radio show but I did not take that question about that show as an offer....I took that as more music talk ala the Red Sticker Ramblers, which is where I chimed in.....oh well
If you cannot already tell I confuse easily so please be merciful with my shortcomings :)

(HA!
I am ENTITLED to mercy.....:D)

Freezer if you play harp as suggested perhaps you might check out Joe Filisko who was harp of the year in 92(?) and is a friend and former teacher.

freezer
2009-05-18, 07:44 PM
I didn't say I was good at it, I said I was gonna practice.

2009-05-19, 10:57 AM
Torrenting=not good.

Do you grow your own food? How about your own weed? Build your own car? Paint all of your own artwork?

Instant gratification does not always equate to laziness. The internet has given all of us the ability to get some things quickly, be it shows, information, airline tickets, porn, or casual encounters with strangers ;)

Yes, some will always exploit that. But stating that as a whole bit torrent is not good because of those few. I just don't understand. I see plenty of ratios on bt sites that show there are still people that give very generously, and kind enough to explain it to newbies in a way that is not self-righteous or attacking them.

I also can't grasp how someone can say that this medium for trading/exchanging is bad. I used to go through a boatload of bubble mailers, postage, and in essence a lot of resources (postal workers salaries, gas, vehicles, CDR's, sometimes planes I imagine) just to get a nice set of SHN's to someone on the east coast or out of the country. Now, I can serve them and access them in a much more eco friendly way IMO.

Disagree. I have been a 'real' trader for a very long time, before online trading. I have fostered more friendships and been a part of, and help create communities that people choose the level they wish to participate in. If someone wants to become a part of any online community, it is rather simple and easier than hoping that you may have something that is worthy to the person that holding the show you are interested in. Before Sharingthegroove, I had a limited Jazz collection, and I love prince and that snail mail community was almost impossible to get into and I had a hard time even getting a couple of shows. I think if anything it broke up the elitist trading circles and brought a lot of great shows out of woodwork.

Once again, big generalization. I have been duped a handful of times trading with 'real' traders. Snail Mail leechers are out there too.

I think it actually has brought the hobby of taping to a whole new level. From access to information about equipment to hints/tricks for getting the best out of whatever gear you have. We have a whole sub-forum here dedicated to the hobby of taping. I have seen quite a few people post from their initial questions about equipment, taping, seeding all the way through purchasing the equipment and then eventually posting their first show and watching them get better, posting more shows, and love their new hobby.

dcbullet
2009-05-19, 12:46 PM
Excellent post Bill.

daddyray
2009-05-19, 12:54 PM
I prefer his posts about undies

2009-05-19, 02:16 PM
Excellent post Bill.

That makes maybe 3 out of 1600. :lol4:

I prefer his posts about undies

I am the 2002 Golden Panty Award Winner.

daddyray
2009-05-19, 02:21 PM
thanks BK that's better

freezer
2009-05-19, 07:27 PM
Do you grow your own food? How about your own weed? Build your own car? Paint all of your own artwork?

Instant gratification does not always equate to laziness. The internet has given all of us the ability to get some things quickly, be it shows, information, airline tickets, porn, or casual encounters with strangers ;)

Yes, some will always exploit that. But stating that as a whole bit torrent is not good because of those few. I just don't understand. I see plenty of ratios on bt sites that show there are still people that give very generously, and kind enough to explain it to newbies in a way that is not self-righteous or attacking them.

I also can't grasp how someone can say that this medium for trading/exchanging is bad. I used to go through a boatload of bubble mailers, postage, and in essence a lot of resources (postal workers salaries, gas, vehicles, CDR's, sometimes planes I imagine) just to get a nice set of SHN's to someone on the east coast or out of the country. Now, I can serve them and access them in a much more eco friendly way IMO.

Disagree. I have been a 'real' trader for a very long time, before online trading. I have fostered more friendships and been a part of, and help create communities that people choose the level they wish to participate in. If someone wants to become a part of any online community, it is rather simple and easier than hoping that you may have something that is worthy to the person that holding the show you are interested in. Before Sharingthegroove, I had a limited Jazz collection, and I love prince and that snail mail community was almost impossible to get into and I had a hard time even getting a couple of shows. I think if anything it broke up the elitist trading circles and brought a lot of great shows out of woodwork.

Once again, big generalization. I have been duped a handful of times trading with 'real' traders. Snail Mail leechers are out there too.

I think it actually has brought the hobby of taping to a whole new level. From access to information about equipment to hints/tricks for getting the best out of whatever gear you have. We have a whole sub-forum here dedicated to the hobby of taping. I have seen quite a few people post from their initial questions about equipment, taping, seeding all the way through purchasing the equipment and then eventually posting their first show and watching them get better, posting more shows, and love their new hobby.

Nice rant, Bill.... still, it's only your opinion.

-----------------

You talk the talk, but have you ever walked the walk?

Still, after all that -- it just doesn't seem that anything ever got you to go out and make any new recordings to add to the trade pool.......

LeifH12345
2009-05-20, 01:00 AM
As a thoughtless seeder, I have determined that I have little to say and that the opinions here are of low or no value.
>
:stfu:
>
:thumbsup

sleepless
2009-05-20, 01:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMgdi

>

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspencer

>

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

2009-05-21, 12:42 PM
Nice rant, Bill.... still, it's only your opinion.

The whole thread is opinion, captain obvious ;)

-----------------

You talk the talk, but have you ever walked the walk?

Still, after all that -- it just doesn't seem that anything ever got you to go out and make any new recordings to add to the trade pool.......

Taping is not for everyone. I personally need to, and do, stay away from any taping I see going on. I get too into the shows myself and plan to stay that way. I like to dance and make noise. Wouldn't make for very good recordings.

freezer
2009-05-22, 02:11 AM
The whole thread is opinion, captain obvious ;)

Correct, opinions are like assholes....everybody's got one.

However when you share your opinion on "hoarding" and then just as quickly admit that you refuse to even try to make any recordings, then in my opinion, your credibility got flushed down the crapper, in reference to this hobby.

People who mouth off about "Hoarding" and and also refuse to ever contribute to the trade pool should have no right to mouth off.

You wanna talk the talk, but you refuse to walk the walk?

Are you really serious?

What makes you think you deserve to partake of The Little Red Hen's wheat, when you refuse to help harvest, threshing, milling, or baking the bread?

Taping is not for everyone. I personally need to, and do, stay away from any taping I see going on. I get too into the shows myself and plan to stay that way. I like to dance and make noise. Wouldn't make for very good recordings.

Lame, that's a really lame reply. Sounds like you're already defeated.

Maybe you should learn to take what's offered without demanding anything... instead of rationalizing a truckload of manure there, Major Pain.

If you want to make any noise about "hoarding", then maybe first you need to consider learning to try to give something back.

Stop dancing for ONE show and get proactive toward "YOUR" community.

Or like many tapers already have done....you just might consider paying it forward....sound like a plan?

Oh, and I do understand "sharing", but I also see you sharing your hypocracy here.

Or, hey, consider refraining from ever making remarks about "hoarding" when you absolutely refuse to do anything but take.

And Bill, I like you, really.....people talk bad about you, but I like you.

2009-05-22, 11:35 AM
Correct, opinions are like assholes....everybody's got one.

However when you share your opinion on "hoarding" and then just as quickly admit that you refuse to even try to make any recordings, then in my opinion, your credibility got flushed down the crapper, in reference to this hobby.

People who mouth off about "Hoarding" and and also refuse to ever contribute to the trade pool should have no right to mouth off.

I will continue to mouth off about all mundane topics, as will you.

You wanna talk the talk, but you refuse to walk the walk?

Are you really serious?

What makes you think you deserve to partake of The Little Red Hen's wheat, when you refuse to help harvest, threshing, milling, or baking the bread?

I guess i feel "entitled' to everything. ;)

Seriously though, I have contributed to the community for some time. Maybe not taping, but I have given none-the-less. I know you know that, but apparently if you do not tape, it is not contributing in your opinion.

Lame, that's a really lame reply. Sounds like you're already defeated.

Maybe you should learn to take what's offered without demanding anything... instead of rationalizing a truckload of manure there, Major Pain.

I merely stated how I felt about the hoarding and waving it front of people, I have tried to say that a number of times. I make no demands, and have not made them in the past for people to share anything they have. But when the topic comes up as it always has, I will continue to ask What is the motivation for talking about the hours of great recordings one may possess, quickly followed with but I will never trade/share them

If you want to make any noise about "hoarding", then maybe first you need to consider learning to try to give something back.

again...I have contributed to the community for some time. Maybe not taping, but I have given none-the-less. I know you know that, but apparently if you do not tape, it is not contributing in your opinion.

Stop dancing for ONE show and get proactive toward "YOUR" community.

um....no. I prefer to be proactive in other ways. Like trying to pry hoarded shows from tapers hands. :D

Or like many tapers already have done....you just might consider paying it forward....sound like a plan?

I feel as if I have payed it forward, from way back to the AOL rose garden days and offering up many freebies & B-P's to actively vining and branching for trees before bit torrent to giving life to the vine section at STG and spending copius time on that site to spending considerable amounts of time raising this site from the ashes of STG. I will continue to do so, in my non taping fashion.

Oh, and I do understand "sharing", but I also see you sharing your hypocracy here.

Or, hey, consider refraining from ever making remarks about "hoarding" when you absolutely refuse to do anything but take.

again....I will continue to mouth off about all mundane topics, as will you

And Bill, I like you, really.....people talk bad about you, but I like you.

Right back at you. :wave:

freezer
2009-05-22, 10:08 PM
I will continue to mouth off about all mundane topics, as will you.

I guess i feel "entitled' to everything. ;)

:disbelief

Including my contempt on this issue, OK?

Your greed is showing through again, Bill.....

What is the motivation for talking about the hours of great recordings one may possess, quickly followed with but I will never trade/share them

Well, maybe you've had a hard time understanding this: "It's none of your fucking business, Bill."

Maybe that's what's the problem, could it be that you don't know how to mind your business even after you're told to go away.

Or maybe you could have shaken something loose, IF you had something unique to offer in return, something you taped???

I guess you'll never know, huh?

again...I have contributed to the community for some time. Maybe not taping, but I have given none-the-less. I know you know that, but apparently if you do not tape, it is not contributing in your opinion.

Jeezus, don't break your arm patting yourself on the back.

This taper thinks you're just a parasite, with the attitude you're exhibiting.

I'm sure I ain't the only one to feel like that.

..um....no. I prefer to be proactive in other ways. Like trying to pry hoarded shows from tapers hands. :D

Well, I'm absolutely delighted for you, but this taper thinks you should pull your head outta 1968.... Or where-ever else it is that precludes you from understanding just how greedy and myopic you've come across in the last few days.

What I see is that the bus left and you didn't make it.

Personally, the disdain I feel toward this sort of mindset will preclude me from ever listening to that Grateful Dead crap again.

Best of luck to you, but anything I might have taped of those snoozers is at the bottom of the list when it comes to offering anything.

However, as I said many times previously, I trade... And the people I've traded with aren't interested in that mindless noodling either. Sorry (no I not really, I just don't care.)

I feel as if I have payed it forward, from way back to the AOL rose garden days and offering up many freebies & B-P's to actively vining and branching for trees before bit torrent to giving life to the vine section at STG and spending copius time on that site to spending considerable amounts of time raising this site from the ashes of STG. I will continue to do so, in my non taping fashion.

In-breeding -- as you described -- just breeds more inbreeding.

There was a reason STG died the death, and a very, very, very, VERY large percentage of the TTD couldn't care less about that old news.

Your mileage may vary, especially since that 1968 VW bus you're driving can't get uphill any longer.

again....I will continue to mouth off about all mundane topics, as will you....

Riiight....... You tell 'em Major Pain, sing it loud and clear, all the while you're standing alone in the cold rain and snow and preaching to a diminishing choir of similar minded parasites.

It's 40 years on now, Jerry's as dead as all fucking billy-hell, he's copped the last heroin he's ever gonna fix-up -- and you've yet to do anything proactive towards your "community" to keep it from dying steadily, no matter how many times you pat yourself on the back.

Your "entitlement" issues are a disgrace, not a goddam badge of honor.

Right back at you. :wave:

BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-oh, you sure told me, shucks..... Major.....

If you'd like to continue this, let's take it to the taper's forum, shall we?

Let's leave this thread to all "ratio police" to get back to sneering at vlad's numbers, OK?

We can start a new thread there and let's see if anyone there salutes you, Bill.

dementrium
2009-05-23, 10:36 AM
Torrenting=not good.

I get a lot of instant gratification with my right hand, and man, is she good. Better than her less skilled sister, the left hand.

Torrenting is also a very good thing. I wonder if, tech speaking, torrent is the last and final word on distributed file sharing, or if some new revolutionary approach will be developed over the next few years.

:stfu: to self

freezer
2009-05-23, 01:29 PM
I get a lot of instant gratification with my right hand, and man, is she good. Better than her less skilled sister, the left hand.
Well, at least you have something to do while patiently waiting for a train that isn't gonna be pulling into the station.

Torrenting is also a very good thing.

YOUR opinion.

Others feel differently.

The mileage varies, don't it though?

For every positive you see in making music trading more impersonal, there are the same number of negatives.

(For example, not forcing collectors to at least considering to add something new and unique to the trade pool for every something they take. Consider the number of shows NEVER recorded by giving out free rides to anyone with the means to grab and go.)

I wonder if, tech speaking, torrent is the last and final word on distributed file sharing, or if some new revolutionary approach will be developed over the next few years.

:stfu: to self

Garbage in, garbage out.... (lying about lineage, hit and run collectors, passing around high gen copies because it's just too easy to grab and run, "re-masters" of high gen crap copies --because they're from "silver pressed bootlegs" -- supplanting low gens or master copies ....ect etc etc)

Garbage in, garbage out....

New delivery systems don't ensure that what you grabbed is actually what some good "seeder" says it is.

New delivery systems don't ensure the best version, just newer and quicker forms of instant gratification of garbage copies also.

In the almost 5 years that I've been supplying TTD with copies from my master tapes, I'm noticing a new trend: "good" collectors re-mastering my tapes and fucking up their remaster, then circulating it without all the pertinent info.

The NRPS 1976-05-30 recording I made and had offered at TTD first is now making the rounds in an altered form, that is now corrupted.

And that corrupt copy is supplanting the original unblemished master.

Imagine that: someone had to 'monkey' with a master tape for NO other reason than to put their name on it.

A different torrent site is now passing around an mp3 version of something that was first offered here from my master in lossless format.

Imagine that: someone took one of my masters from this site, converted it to mp3, then someone converted that back into analog, then someone turned that back into a digital format.

I eagerly await that version to make the rounds here.

Garbage in, garbage out..... but at least someone else got to add their name to the recording as the "re-master-er" while removing the taper's name and other info.

Don't you just love it? Garbage in, garbage out.

daddyray
2009-05-23, 01:49 PM
I feel entitled to the opinions of others

dementrium
2009-05-23, 03:27 PM
New delivery systems don't ensure that what you grabbed is actually what some good "seeder" says it is.

New delivery systems don't ensure the best version, just newer and quicker forms of instant gratification of garbage copies also.

I was referring to distributed file sharing in general. Old school tape sharing doesn't doesn't guarantee so-called quality or lineage accuracy. The person lying/bluffing can do it on a hand-written paper as well as on a message forum. The only one difference is the media.

freezer
2009-05-23, 04:35 PM
I was referring to distributed file sharing in general. Old school tape sharing doesn't doesn't guarantee so-called quality or lineage accuracy. The person lying/bluffing can do it on a hand-written paper as well as on a message forum. The only one difference is the media.

That's true, Jack, it's just as easy for some unethical trader to fabricate lineage on paper.

However, thanks to torrents, it's easier for you to fuck over 1,000 random people in a fraction of the time that it used to take you to fuck over one person you know via snail mail.

Put up a torrent tonight and give out your bullshit lineage, and by tomorrow evening you can fuck over literally 10,000 unsuspecting collectors.

Then as you watch it mushroom when the torrent is snatched and then re-upped at dime, Lossless Legs, zomb, planet bootleg, tapecity, hungercity, etree, MOTB, ad infinitum.

Then figure how many more collectors you can fuck over as the garbage hits the torrent-blogs like "Quality bootlegs" or "The Pharaoh's Den", etc etc etc....

You can guarantee that a specific recording will NEVER circulate with correct lineage thanks to a torrent.

As you well know, we can prove it, Demmy. Would you like to help conduct that experiment?

There are two differences to snail mail trading in that :

#1. Trading between tapers generally cut the possibility of bad lineage. *Didn't erase the possibility, as I can attest to, but it made it easier to rectify* (I could have made sure that snail mail traders knew that someone in the KISS community had lied about the proper lineage to the July 16, 1974 KISS in Baton Rouge recording. Thanks to the torrent sites, it had snowballed to proportions that will never be able to be rectified.... oh well.....)

#2. It was easier to halt bad lineage, because many tapers knew who was taping in other areas or territories. It was easier to learn who had actually taped something and therefore easier to acquire a 1st gen or a low gen copy, or to out the liar and oust them from trading.

In the land of the torrent, these liars are rewarded.

There's NO guarantees anywhere in life, Dr. Mehoff, ever....but at least the possibilities for being duped were significantly diminished if and when two tapers were trading. (Especially IF they were planning to trade again together later. Why bite the hand that feeds you?)

And I'm glad to see you getting along so delightfully with your own 2 hands. At least you can finally make love to someone who might like you. :thumbsup

daddyray
2009-05-23, 04:41 PM
And I'm glad to see you getting along so delightfully with your own 2 hands. At least you can finally make love to someone who might like you. :thumbsup

operative word: Might

dementrium
2009-05-23, 04:57 PM
However, thanks to torrents, it's easier for you to fuck over 1,000 random people in a fraction of the time

but, on the other hand, you can do the same thing without even torrenting anything!

And let me say an operative word to daddy: :finger:

daddyray
2009-05-23, 05:00 PM
I gots no troubles with you and ya know it...I just thought that joke was truly funny...

dementrium
2009-05-23, 05:06 PM
you'd better go and watch that Jaco-Magelsdorff video asap.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (3 members and 0 guests)
dementrium, bill_kate, vladsmythe

Hi, vlad :wave:

daddyray
2009-05-23, 05:34 PM
saving it for late night...when the jazzers are here...

freezer
2009-05-23, 06:17 PM
but, on the other hand, you can do the same thing without even torrenting anything!

YES, and you've done so quite often, right at TTD.....you've accomplished it simply when you continue to troll unchecked, demmy.

You're doing it again, today....here and elsewhere on this site.

No wonder the hobby is quickly flushing itself down the crapper.

Thanks for your contribution, demmy. You're OK for someone who dislikes music so much.

ZJLI
2009-05-23, 06:26 PM
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (2 members and 0 guests)
Alex231, vladsmythe

:wave: Vladdy! My friend!

freezer
2009-05-23, 06:37 PM
...I just thought that joke was truly funny...

You were makin' a joke???

Well, he wouldn't be so upset, if he didn't resemble that remark.

rspencer
2009-05-23, 08:08 PM
at least the possibilities for being duped were significantly diminished if and when two tapers were trading. (Especially IF they were planning to trade again together later. Why bite the hand that feeds you?)

That's still the case. You want it unaltered, un-remastered, not having been thru who knows how many CDs & extractions, mp3 conversions, etc.... get it from the taper.

weedwacker
2009-05-24, 09:28 AM
That's still the case. You want it unaltered, un-remastered, not having been thru who knows how many CDs & extractions, mp3 conversions, etc.... get it from the taper.

Under the assumption the taper isn't playing games with their recordings they are sending out purposely genning up copies and or purposely degrading them by other means and not being upfront about it. If the taper is upfront about it and the receiver(s) lies about it afterwards shame on the receiver(s) but reverse the situation then shame on the taper. And yes tapers can do what they want, how they want with their recordings, that is not the issue. If you provide something you should provide it under the terms you said you were going to do.

paddington
2009-05-24, 09:34 AM
:yawn::sleepy:

weedwacker
2009-05-24, 11:06 AM
:yawn::sleepy:

Yeah this thread is better than lunesta to cure insomnia. To bring it back on topic, no you shouldn't ban leechers with bad share ratios. Ratios don't tell the whole story if a person is just a leech or hardly downloads anything/got on a download too late that they can't seed back to 1:1 if they wanted but does give back in other forms like snail mailing or providing shows they taped to others to post. If anything share ratios have to turned into a measuring stick for bottom feeders who provide no new content to determine where they stand in relation to others. If you want to ban someone that will actually make a difference, ban firewalled users since they just suck bandwith and don't provide it back to the rest of the swarm ulitimately slowing everything down especially when there is only 1 seeder. If the major isps do implement ratio caps on bandwith for uploads/downloads this will allow for more efficient use of bandwith in return allowing responsible users to upload more content with less bandwith wasted.

freezer
2009-05-24, 03:32 PM
:yawn: :sleepy:

Under the assumption the taper isn't playing games with their recordings they are sending out purposely genning up copies and or purposely degrading them by other means and not being upfront about it. If the taper is upfront about it and the receiver(s) lies about it afterwards shame on the receiver(s) but reverse the situation then shame on the taper. And yes tapers can do what they want, how they want with their recordings, that is not the issue. If you provide something you should provide it under the terms you said you were going to do.

That's also under the assumption that any part of any trade has anything to do with anyone except the people actually involved in said trade.

In other words, you got a LOT of parasites jumping to conclusions without ALL of the facts.

AND....

You have some champion high-hurdlers in your "community' also, especially when it comes to jumping to conclusions.

And that "community" has more enough busybodies that don't know when to shut up and mind their own mother-fuckIng business, ESPECIALLY when it comes to something that didn't concern them EVER.

Sorry, please get this thread back on topic, it's time for all of you haters all to go back to ranting about you-know-who.

And continue with your flame-fest and back-patting sessions also, please.

RacerX
2009-05-24, 08:57 PM
Bad guys never win.

weedwacker
2009-05-26, 02:14 PM
:yawn: :sleepy:

That's also under the assumption that any part of any trade has anything to do with anyone except the people actually involved in said trade.

First off I wasn't referring to you or even talking to you but if you want to make this about you then fine with me. I was actually referring to a set of Millard tapes that belong to someone else.

In other words, you got a LOT of parasites jumping to conclusions without ALL of the facts.

AND....

You have some champion high-hurdlers in your "community' also, especially when it comes to jumping to conclusions.

Well this "parasite" has phone records to go along with the tapes and clearly they are not what was discussed and agreed upon but back to you. I haven't drawn any conclusions about your dealings all I know is there is two sides to every story and the only side that seems to be public is yours. I'm sure if the other side ever comes out in public in one of your dealings where you insist you are right everyone else is wrong you won't be looking as saintly as you like to paint yourself. I don't know what "community" you are referring to since there really is none these days just a bunch of why should I do anything to foward my hobby, I'll just download it when someone else does all the leg work and then bitch and whine if the well isn't giving up the goods they want or at the pace they think it should.

And that "community" has more enough busybodies that don't know when to shut up and mind their own mother-fuckIng business, ESPECIALLY when it comes to something that didn't concern them EVER.

I actually happen to agree with you on this except for one key detail. If you air your dirty laundry in public then you open it up to public scrutiny like it or not.

Sorry, please get this thread back on topic, it's time for all of you haters all to go back to ranting about you-know-who.

And continue with your flame-fest and back-patting sessions also, please.

:lmao:

That is funny coming from someone who only seems to pop up in this thread when it goes off topic. I'm done discussing this in public with you. If you wish to continue to discuss this in a productive manner as two adults. I'll be more than happy to continue this discussion with you in private.

freezer
2009-05-26, 05:23 PM
No matter what, it remains none of anybody's business anyway.

No matter who whines about 'dirty laundry'... who cares, really?

And believe it.....ain't NONE of Mike Millard's MASTERS in circulation anyway, no matter who says what.

I traded with Mike personally. I handed him tapes and received tapes in my hand in return.

And I don't think that he ever let copies of any of his master tapes out EVER.

And my cassettes have j-cards in his handwriting.

And since you want to talk about dirty laundry, AND only because YOU mentioned it..... who is it that feels the need to lie about Mike Millard's recordings?

No one would have any idea about that subject except you and a trade partner, AND ONLY because you brought it up.

Now I'm sure everybody is curious.

Who is is that claims to have Millard's masters? (Or copies of the masters to trade around... OK, don't bring up any names, because I'm sure no one wants to be laughed at, for such a huge whopper of a lie....)

I've heard some wild story that someone claims to have 1st gen VHS tapes but somehow, these have 'evolved' into MASTERS.

Is THAT what you're referring to???

The only person who could give out any verifiable generaions on any Millard recordings is Mike the Mike himself.

PERIOD.

Oh, and 'wacky' -- I am NOT 'saintly' and I never wanted to be ever consider as such. Someone's jumping to a conclusion.

Personally, I have a very high degree of disdain for anybody that feels they deserve any more information from me than I'm willing to impart.

So, if you wanna discuss this in private, I'd LOVE to know about bogus lineage on Millard recordings, ......now THAT would be an interesting topic.

Why, it should start the entire Led Zepplein community pissing and moaning about all the bogus Millard Masters they're NOW passing around.....

dcbullet
2009-05-26, 05:36 PM
I don't know what "community" you are referring to since there really is none these days just a bunch of why should I do anything to foward my hobby, I'll just download it when someone else does all the leg work and then bitch and whine if the well isn't giving up the goods they want or at the pace they think it should.

Are you just referring to the Zeppelin community? Because with taping in general, certainly your statement is not true. There are plenty of people out there taping and sharing and having a good old time enjoying the music. Sharing via torrenting is one part of that overall enjoyment.

If you are referring specifically to the Zeppelin community, it seems to me there has always been a core group of people doing a lot of the work. Well, really most clubs and communities work that way. In any case, yes, there are the "gimmies" too, but I don't think it's a fair characterization to say there is no community, as one would commonly use that word.

carrste
2009-05-27, 02:41 PM
Should we ban thoughtless leechers?

Yes, ban the thoughtless ones but I suggest we leave the nice polite ones who say thanks when they download a recording alone.

Steve :)

weedwacker
2009-05-27, 03:40 PM
No matter what, it remains none of anybody's business anyway.

No matter who whines about 'dirty laundry'... who cares, really?

And believe it.....ain't NONE of Mike Millard's MASTERS in circulation anyway, no matter who says what.

I traded with Mike personally. I handed him tapes and received tapes in my hand in return.

And I don't think that he ever let copies of any of his master tapes out EVER.

And my cassettes have j-cards in his handwriting.

And since you want to talk about dirty laundry, AND only because YOU mentioned it..... who is it that feels the need to lie about Mike Millard's recordings?

No one would have any idea about that subject except you and a trade partner, AND ONLY because you brought it up.

Now I'm sure everybody is curious.

Who is is that claims to have Millard's masters? (Or copies of the masters to trade around... OK, don't bring up any names, because I'm sure no one wants to be laughed at, for such a huge whopper of a lie....)

I've heard some wild story that someone claims to have 1st gen VHS tapes but somehow, these have 'evolved' into MASTERS.

Is THAT what you're referring to???

The only person who could give out any verifiable generaions on any Millard recordings is Mike the Mike himself.

PERIOD.

Oh, and 'wacky' -- I am NOT 'saintly' and I never wanted to be ever consider as such. Someone's jumping to a conclusion.

Personally, I have a very high degree of disdain for anybody that feels they deserve any more information from me than I'm willing to impart.

So, if you wanna discuss this in private, I'd LOVE to know about bogus lineage on Millard recordings, ......now THAT would be an interesting topic.

Why, it should start the entire Led Zepplein community pissing and moaning about all the bogus Millard Masters they're NOW passing around.....

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black

Assumption #1 on your part, the tapes are being called masters. Wrong the generation is not the point of contention never was. They are not masters nor is anybody under any false pretentions that they are. And yes the cassette tapes have j-cards with Millard's personal artwork and the owner of this set of tapes met Millard personally at least on 1 occasion I know of and the tapes were received directly from Millard not through a third party.

Assumption #2 on your part, they are part of a trade. Wrong again, I am helping out trying to determine the pedigree of the tapes, are the tapes marked or are they better/worse than known copies floating around. The generation of the tapes are irrelvant here only the sound quality of what is on them is the relevant issue outside the markings. This person is not part of the "community" you so love or even part of the download scene. If they want I will also be digitizing the tapes like I have for other audio and video items in their collection. The intentions are not trade but circulate them if they turn out to be anything special. That is TBD still.

Assumption #3, I concluded you are saintly. Wrong that is an observation not a conclusion you may turn out to make the Marquis De Sade look like Mother Teresah in comparison or vice versa.

Assumption #4, if you are insinuating I am asking you for more information than you are willing to impart. Wrong, I didn't ask you for shit you are the one butted in like a nosey badinsky in the first place.

You know what they say about those that Assume............

I did leave myself wide open for you to pry after you butted in but I try to practice what I preach. You should try the same and mind your own business :D

If you manage to calm down and have a moment of lucidity when you are done trying insinuating that everything zeppelin related is owned by liars and scumbags, if you still want to discuss the tapes in more detail privately in a rational and adult manner the offer is still open.

freezer
2009-05-27, 06:54 PM
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black, I'm there NOW.......woohoo.....

Don't mind me while I get in my shots at someone I hate, I'll be a big man back at the Hotel if I can get a few shots in at Freezer...

If I manage to calm down and have a moment of lucidity throughout all my lies and bullshit, I'll have proven without a shadow of any doubt that everything zeppelin related is owned by liars and scumbags, if you still want to discuss the tapes in more detail privately in a rational and adult manner the offer is still open, but ONLY if I can get in the last word.

FTFY, wacky......

Try this is you need lucid, That is, IF you're finished making your own ASSumptions, wacky... Everything circulating in that Led Zeppelin community that you're a part of IS of questionable lineage and pedigree, thanks to the Hotel's proprietor... Have some more kool-aids and drink deep.....

Start here, if you want to see just how fucked up the Led Zeppelin community really is.....
I hope you enjoyed the 2/28/75 audience tape....BUT what lineage are YOU claiming today on that one? :lol4:

And if you really want proper pedigree and lineage on ANY Mike Millard recordings in circulation, try this "GENERATION: UNKNOWN" and that remains something that ONLY the taper can clear up. Anything on your part can at best be labelled as SPECULATION, wacky.

And that's the fucking truth, like it or not..... ("trying to determine the pedigree of the tapes..." :lmao: with what, more speculation OR more lies, anything else is just BULLSHIT. No, then ask Mike Millard otherwise, it's only speculation OR LIES, nothing else... :lol4: )

And if you think I butted in, sorry, your ASSumption there is not only wrong, it's just a fucking lie on your part, wacky... I was here before YOU butted in, wacky. All you needed to do was look, before you mouthed off.

But what are we to expect from anyone living at THAT Hotel......

NOW, would you like to take this private, wacky?

retired
2009-05-27, 07:10 PM
Take it to pm

nWo4Life
2009-05-28, 09:30 AM
No wait, pretty please keep it here

U2Lynne
2009-05-28, 10:21 AM
No wait, pretty please keep it here
NO!

:whip:

J.R. Ewing
2009-06-10, 02:45 AM
Couldn't this Millard guy clean up the matter personally?:)

freezer
2009-06-11, 10:12 AM
He won't.

And furthermore, he probably would be despised at the Hotel if he did.

That's why there are so many LZ recordings in circulation now with bogus information accompanying the recording.

travelinsong
2009-06-13, 08:05 AM
why improve the ratio if you suggest they
"offer b&ps and/or freebies to give back to the TTD community"
instead of uploading constantly..
Are B&P's or freebies going to make a RATIO difference?

it just doesn't make sense

Banning people is like a witch hunt

How do you know that person isn't going to fix the err of their ways and then start sharing... Not everyone is perfect from the get go..
sometimes we all need a little encouragement....
practice what you are preaching - lead by example

cheers

travelinsong
2009-06-13, 08:08 AM
Couldn't this Millard guy clean up the matter personally?:)

I thought he died a while ago..

Others were saying "Oh No, What if all his tapes are discarded as trash.."

If I am wrong and it was someone else then No Offense :hmm:

travelinsong
2009-06-13, 08:17 AM
The big problem is..... we aren't just a torrent site, like DIME. It would be easy to think of banning or limiting uploads for people with low ratios if all we were was a torrent site. But, what about those that download and then offer a Vine for every show they get? That is 'giving away' a whole show, kinda like uploading that amount to someone. Or, what about those that offer up a ton of B&Ps? The whole reason I added a list of Vines and B&Ps to a person's profile is so people can see if they offered them and then take that into consideration along with the ratio when they are asked to open a window.

These guys who have poor ratios and then come around asking for reseeds probably have a much lower chance of a reseed than someone who has a good ratio or someone who has also started Vines or offered B&Ps. Karma comes around to get them. Notice how that dudogger guy didn't even like the fact that we *show* ratios. He knows he is getting judged by it and doesn't like it (and may be embarrassed by it). I figure karma comes around to get these guys. Maybe not now, maybe not next week, but they will ask for a show to get reseeded and will have people ignore the request because of their ratio and lack of giving in other ways.

Well Stated :popcorn::popcorn:

travelinsong
2009-06-13, 08:26 AM
Should we ban thoughtless thread makers from making thoughtless threads?
:lol::lol4:;);)

Unklejimbo
2009-06-14, 12:48 AM
Look proper torrent ettiquette is what ever you d/l you have to upload if you can stay longer fine. Remember companies like Comcast only give you 250gb per month.....

juxtiphi
2009-06-15, 09:42 AM
Look proper torrent ettiquette is what ever you d/l you have to upload if you can stay longer fine. Remember companies like Comcast only give you 250gb per month.....

thats not necessarily true, I had high speed broadband with comcast for years and was never capped and I downloaded tons of stuff every month but was only able to give out a little when compared to what I took in.

ratios are a bit misleading due to the fact that you can download a show with many seeders in a few minutes but try uploading the same amount can take weeks because you have slow upload speeds
now does that make you a bad person because you cannot afford a connection that has a high upload rate?

since I got fios my download speeds are around 2MB/s and upload speeds are upwards from 6/700kb/s which makes maintaining a rat easy as I can give out 50 or 60 gigs in a few hours. try that with an upload speed of 30kb/s and see how far you get.

the only people who should be banned are those with fast upload speeds who do not maintain a healthy rat, but how do you police that? how do you prove a person has a fast connection:hmm:

harpsichord
2009-06-18, 10:28 PM
I know there's no easy solution to this problem, but I'm getting a little tired of seeding to low-life's who bail right after they complete a download. What I would like to see is a user's ratio appear everywhere their name does, not just in a post or on their profile page. That way, if I see a 0.17 user leeching a torrent I have, I won't even bother seeding it. Now that the site logs every visitor to your profile I don't want to have to check every time and give someone the satisfaction. Perhaps it's not the charitable thing to do, but neither is sucking up bandwidth and good intentions with no effort to return the favor.

Maybe a lot of people get to feeling this way at one point or another, and I'm there now. I worked for my ratio, and I don't mind sharing with people who are willing to do the same, but I've about had it with 'thoughtless leechers'. If you're not going to ban them, I'd at least like to deprive them of my contribution.

Just a thought, for what it's worth.

GRC
2009-06-19, 08:33 AM
The last few audio torrents I completed, I was quite happy to leave them open for whatever it took, but shortly after completion, I found there were no peers to connect to..... so just closed them down.

Happy to give, but if no-one's there to take, what can I do?

SpikeKiller
2009-06-22, 10:21 AM
Share ratio shouldn't mean anything. The share ratio is an internet pyramid scheme. In order for the leechers to maintain the status quo "share ratio", there must be enough new leechers to support the old ones. I don't think that is possible anymore

Homebrew101
2009-06-22, 02:27 PM
Share ratio shouldn't mean anything. The share ratio is an internet pyramid scheme. In order for the leechers to maintain the status quo "share ratio", there must be enough new leechers to support the old ones. I don't think that is possible anymore

:lol4: people with a decent ratio never post comments like this

Pyramid scheme huh? :hmm: suppose you start downloading a torrent when it is first posted like several others, why should your ratio be any different from theirs (assuming your ISP doesn't throttle your bandwith) unless you cut and run off to another download right away - there should be many folks downloading it so you can seed it back. If you are trying to download too many shows at the same time your downloads will be slow, maybe then you cannot share back enough before most of the people downloading it already grabbed it.

Maybe you are trying to download too much at once?

dcbullet
2009-06-22, 07:12 PM
When I seed a torrent, one person in aggregate will have a zero ratio on that torrent. Once I go past "1" more than one person will have less than a 1:1 ratio. By my average ratio, I deprive 6+ people of any ratio at all, every time I seed. If I wanted more people to get to 1:1, I would superseed and then turn off my client as soon as I've uploaded the show.

But I don't.

It's just math.

ep620
2009-06-23, 11:01 AM
....By my average ratio, I deprive 6+ people of any ratio at all, every time I seed. .....

Greedy ratio whore. :lol:

mooncusser
2009-06-23, 10:16 PM
I'm gonna start a cut-and-run policy to help the leechers improve their ratio.
Not even gonna upload while I'm downloading.;)

fzincaroads
2009-06-27, 07:09 PM
I try to leave things up as much as possible, but my ratios are low due to lack of interest (amazingly, for Bob Marley stuff). The real problem is, though that Comcast makes it difficult to share, even though I'm paying top dollar for the high speed 'service'.

MDVidGuy
2009-06-27, 09:34 PM
Thought you had to have a .25 to be able to download. Isn't that good enough? Sounds to me like more web nit-picking. Worry about your own ratio. Let the mods worry about the rest.

shopkin
2009-07-24, 10:43 AM
bad ratio is the new good ratio:wave:

dasmueller
2009-07-28, 09:07 PM
I am not a taper. When I download something I believe will be of value I appreciate the gift someone has given. I try to remember to thank them for their efforts. I do not see enough of that taking place. I am not perfect mind you. Second I believe in leaving the torrent open for several days and checking to see if there is someone who is trying to upload before closing it out. Seems like a reasonable approach to me. I do not download what I perceive by the number of hits are the top popular shows but have still been able to maintain a 1.7 ratio by this method Others could try the same approach

mdshrk1
2009-07-28, 09:15 PM
I am not a taper. When I download something I believe will be of value I appreciate the gift someone has given. I try to remember to thank them for their efforts. I do not see enough of that taking place. I am not perfect mind you. Second I believe in leaving the torrent open for several days and checking to see if there is someone who is trying to upload before closing it out. Seems like a reasonable approach to me. I do not download what I perceive by the number of hits are the top popular shows but have still been able to maintain a 1.7 ratio by this method Others could try the same approach

I still think we should ban thoughtless seeders. Hey Don!:wave::wave:

dasmueller
2009-07-28, 09:27 PM
Interesting thought for everyone to think about. How would one define a thoughtless seeder ?? Is it someone who uploads a show wo all the correct info, or someone who uploads a show some may perceive to be of lesser value ? This opens a lot of rooom for problems. Maybe its best left alone !

And a hello to you as well !!!:thumbsup

dasmueller
2009-07-28, 10:26 PM
A few more thoughts as this for whatever reason bothers me. I believe that those who do all the work to upload should be appreciated certainly. Keeep in mind that this is a community of many people and we do not know each other that well.

The problem that I see is that some feel they should get something back or restrict others who they feel do not hold up their share as perceived by whatever group who decides its what they should do. The problem w that is that it is not what giving is about. Giving is somehting that someone does because they feel that they want to. One does not give in expectation of a return.

A little over 7 years ago I gave a kidney to my brother. I did not expect a return. It made me feel good to be able to help another person. And as an aside he is a design engineer for a music affilaiated company. Without his work many musicians would not have what they have today. We might not hear as many nice uploads as we do.

I guess my point is we are all different and give in our own way. We give because we want to, not because we want a return. Perhaps it would be better to change the term from leechers to grateful recipients. Then it would be up to those who do receive to give the desrved thanks to the uploader.

To impose limits I believe is wrong. People upload shows becauses they want to share. People leave shows open for ohers for a reasonable period of time to give a sort of a payback and piggyback on the uploaders generousity. We should be bale to live w whatever level that is and be happy that we were able to help. There will always be those who take advantage, To compromise ones ideals because of that is a sad result.

Nough said.

mdshrk1
2009-07-28, 11:03 PM
A few more thoughts as this for whatever reason bothers me. I believe that those who do all the work to upload should be appreciated certainly. Keeep in mind that this is a community of many people and we do not know each other that well.

The problem that I see is that some feel they should get something back or restrict others who they feel do not hold up their share as perceived by whatever group who decides its what they should do. The problem w that is that it is not what giving is about. Giving is somehting that someone does because they feel that they want to. One does not give in expectation of a return.

A little over 7 years ago I gave a kidney to my brother. I did not expect a return. It made me feel good to be able to help another person. And as an aside he is a design engineer for a music affiliated company. Without his work many musicians would not have what they have today. We might not hear as many nice uploads as we do.

I guess my point is we are all different and give in our own way. We give because we want to, not because we want a return. Perhaps it would be better to change the term from leechers to grateful recipients. Then it would be up to those who do receive to give the desrved thanks to the uploader.

To impose limits I believe is wrong. People upload shows becauses they want to share. People leave shows open for others for a reasonable period of time to give a sort of a payback and piggyback on the uploaders generosity. We should be able to live w whatever level that is and be happy that we were able to help. There will always be those who take advantage, To compromise one's ideals because of that is a sad result.

Nough said.

Bravo!!!!!! I was posting to point out the inconsistency of thought...I upload shows because I want to...not because someone forces me to. I expect nothing in return...Anything I get is a bonus...I would record the shows that I do regardless. I record because I want the music...and because I want the music, I think that there might be others out there who want the same, but for whatever reason, are not able to get it on their own...Giving it to them is just a bonus...more enjoyment = better life.

MDVidGuy
2009-08-19, 05:32 AM
I honestly dont care about my ratio on this site because most of you are raging assholes. I had started to upload my entire catalog of video masters but stopped on the first one (Pearl Jam College Park MD 1992) because of the amount of shitty pm's I got from leechers who didn't like my transfer methods and demanded I mail them my masters. This is by far the worst community on the web.

The other thing, 95% of the stuff that gets uploaded to this site is garbage. Not true? Thats why you average about 20 downloads per torrent. You cant give away the crap you people post.

You can absolutely ban me. Oh god, I might miss the next "Christian Death" video or *gasp*....dont make me miss that new Kingdom Come pro shot. Seriously, most of you need a reality check and a trip out of moms basement. You give this much thought to something thats supposed to be fun but no, lets start a thread about how much people arent giving you. Assholes.

rspencer
2009-08-19, 07:22 AM
The other thing, 95% of the stuff that gets uploaded to this site is garbage. Not true? Thats why you average about 20 downloads per torrent. You cant give away the crap you people post.

Well, you somehow managed to download 395GB of that "garbage." So either it's apparently not all crap, or you're not as discerning as you seem to want to appear.

I wouldn't be likely to download a Christian Death vid either, but I also wouldn't download a Pearl Jam video. Different strokes.

Maybe your problem is with the gimme-gimme attitude of the Pearl Jam community and not with the site? It seems your issues are with the leechers from one torrent. You'll always deal with the PMs, wherever you go...comes with being a taper. And while the transfer method isn't optimal, who cares. It's allowable here. Taping a live show, lots of things aren't optimal.

I have no horse in the race, so if you feel you must leave, do as you will. I just don't think you should let the results of one torrent affect your actions.

Have a good day either way. :wave:

trustthex
2009-08-19, 11:44 PM
I've seen him sucking down a number of my garbage torrents. :wave:

freezer
2009-08-20, 06:11 PM
...... but no, lets start a thread about how much people arent giving you. Assholes.

There's more of those threads in the Lounge, where demanding has become part and parcel of the hobby for a lot of folks.

Exit this forum, take a left, and you can't miss it, you'll know it from the smell of greed.

ep620
2009-08-21, 09:48 AM
I honestly dont care about my ratio ......
You can absolutely ban me.......

Could someone please give this cock jockey what he wants and ban him. This is the worst of the worst.

MDVidGuy -> "I'm going to be the biggest asshole and take everything I can because everyone here is an asshole".

Seven year old children are more mature then this asshhat. :disbelief

John II
2009-08-22, 07:09 AM
not sure how i think about this. i've uploaded a crapton of dvds to this server but always suffer from an upload cap of 70kb/s. the dvd i just uploaded i know for a fact helped out someone people like crazy. i think crumbo alone uploaded over 300gbs worth of it before one person completed the download. i know several dozen people more then benefited from this torrent alone, but my ratio is slightly under 1.00 and i see nothing wrong with it.

hugofuguzev
2009-08-22, 10:43 AM
MDVidGuy
395.43 GB/138.30 GB/0.35

Should we ban thoughtless leechers?

juxtiphi
2009-08-22, 03:43 PM
Bravo!!!!!! I was posting to point out the inconsistency of thought...I upload shows because I want to...not because someone forces me to. I expect nothing in return...Anything I get is a bonus...I would record the shows that I do regardless. I record because I want the music...and because I want the music, I think that there might be others out there who want the same, but for whatever reason, are not able to get it on their own...Giving it to them is just a bonus...more enjoyment = better life.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

I also enjoy turning people on to music they had no chance of hearing without sites like this!

thanks everybody :wave:

kaisersauze
2009-08-29, 08:43 AM
I honestly dont care about my ratio on this site because most of you are raging assholes. I had started to upload my entire catalog of video masters but stopped on the first one (Pearl Jam College Park MD 1992) because of the amount of shitty pm's I got from leechers who didn't like my transfer methods and demanded I mail them my masters. This is by far the worst community on the web.

You can absolutely ban me. Oh god, I might miss the next "Christian Death" video or *gasp*....dont make me miss that new Kingdom Come pro shot. Seriously, most of you need a reality check and a trip out of moms basement. You give this much thought to something thats supposed to be fun but no, lets start a thread about how much people arent giving you. Assholes.

Bye!

hugofuguzev
2009-08-29, 09:05 AM
Bye!

Yeah, no shit...this MD tosser sounds like one of these people who, when at work, sits on his ass while everybody else does the work...and he then sits back and takes all the credit for it in the end. I bet he personally never filmed any of his supposed video "masters"...just another fuckin' whiner who wants everybody to do things their way, yet we're the assholes. Sorry; people like this piss me off to no end. I wonder if this waterhead realizes that this is one of the very few online music trading sites where QUALITY takes precedence over QUANTITY.

I say ban his leeching ass...if it hasn't been done already.

kaisersauze
2009-08-29, 06:52 PM
Yeah, no shit...this MD tosser sounds like one of these people who, when at work, sits on his ass while everybody else does the work...and he then sits back and takes all the credit for it in the end. I bet he personally never filmed any of his supposed video "masters"...just another fuckin' whiner who wants everybody to do things their way, yet we're the assholes. Sorry; people like this piss me off to no end. I wonder if this waterhead realizes that this is one of the very few online music trading sites where QUALITY takes precedence over QUANTITY.

I say ban his leeching ass...if it hasn't been done already.

I say leave him be...he doesn't care, let him prove it by never logging in again.

Leave the apple dangling in front of him tied to his forehead. :lol4:

vavoom
2009-09-02, 06:16 AM
He's sooo busy that he only has time to D/L from all these sites... :hmm:

Dime - User account MDVidGuy

Join date 2008-01-01 08:07 GMT (87 weeks ago)
Last seen 2009-09-02 02:10 GMT (9 hours ago)
Uploaded 1.19 TB
Downloaded 2.21 TB
Share ratio 0.54

Jam To This - mdvidguy
Rookie
D/L - 17.20 GB
U/L - 4.36 GB
Share Ratio 0.25

TTD
MDVidGuy
395.43 GB/138.30 GB/0.35

mrbobc
2009-09-02, 06:03 PM
this is a tough one to answer. i only recently was introduced to this site and as a result i downloaded about 5 older torrents and after completing, my ratio was 0.21. i seeded them for 4-5 days after, i still am, but because noone was dowlloading them my ratio was stuck at around 0.21. if it wasnt for 2 newer torrent becoming available i would take absolutely ages to get my ratio up to a respectable level.

only because i have seeded 1 of these new torrents to a ratio of nearly 4 have i bin able to get my ratio up, otherwise i'd be fooked!

if there was a ban imposed would i have ever got the chance to make it right?

i'm like most people and would like to see everyone seed at least up to a 1.0 ratio but sometimes its not possible. theres about another 5-10 torrents i would love to d/load in here but i know my ratio is gonna plummet from doing so as they are older torrents too, so ive held off.

rspencer
2009-09-02, 06:39 PM

While we don't do so, most sites that ban based on ratio only ban you from further downloading. You are still able to upload torrents you already have downloaded & you are able to upload new torrents.

joycelynn
2009-09-07, 12:59 PM
As I am new to this site and do NOT have bad intentions I would love to have Pearl Jam video for my collection. If someone would be kind enough to explain how this works so there is no misunderstandings I would love to share Pearl Jam :) I am new to torrent files but am eager to learn the rules and how to's.

U2Lynne
2009-09-07, 01:36 PM
As I am new to this site and do NOT have bad intentions I would love to have Pearl Jam video for my collection. If someone would be kind enough to explain how this works so there is no misunderstandings I would love to share Pearl Jam :) I am new to torrent files but am eager to learn the rules and how to's.
You might want to start here - BitTorrent Help (http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/faq.php?faq=new_faq_item#faq_bittorrent)

ep620
2009-09-07, 09:01 PM

After the help section be sure to stop in the lounge and start a "Hello.. I'm new here" thread. :wave:

lordsmurf
2010-03-07, 08:41 PM
I was in another thread, and read this:
If your ratio sucked, I wouldn't do it.

I can understand the fundamental reasons for the ratio, as it makes you part of the community instead of just a leech. But sometimes having a high ratio doesn't mean anything other than "I like (and download) the same things everybody else does".

I don't download many things, but when I do, it's often something unique or unusual -- and apparently unpopular. For example: silent films, uncommon Linux ISOs, custom artwork. There have been times that I've left something up for more than a month to seed, and not one person downloaded from it! Also throw in the fact that my ISP upload speed sucks, so even when somebody wants something, it isn't very fast.

So sometimes a low ratio isn't for a lack of trying! :disbelief

Was just wondering what the prevailing thought is around here. :wave:

direwolf-pgh
2010-03-07, 10:18 PM
the first time I can recall ratio enforcement was at the early FTP trading sites.
with FTP upstream bandwidth being a fixed amount at the server level -- admin/owners felt they were 'being used'.
the early FTP ratio restrictions were something like 1 upload for every 10 downloads.
The idea was to force each user 'to share back' into the trading pool (pot luck results for sure).
then again, people who couldnt share back could not download which left more FTP bandwidth for others + 'better seeders'.
those who donated had restrictions removed/privileges --some things never change.

today the whole badge of honor / scumbag leech ratio thing is more an online social phenomenon than a core functional component.

AAR.oner
2010-03-08, 08:19 AM
people with shitty ratios should be beaten...repeatedly

:lol: nah, but i certainly ain't gonna re-open a torrent for someone who's gotta a really shitty ratio...and excessive leechers i just block in my bt client

it doesn't hurt to keep a torrent running, so why the need to close it within a day or ______ ...& slow ISP u/l speeds is typically a fake excuse imo -- when you ask what their u/ cap is they won't say...hell, mine's limited to ~40k/s which most would say is really bad given todays bandwidth averages...& i have no problem u/ling my fair share

Kalhoun
2010-03-08, 09:48 AM
You can use the "ipfilter" feature in uPromise to ban folks. I look at it from a different point of view. Leechers often help distribute torrents. They share the load (except those with no upload speed).

I think it would be beneficial to have a function within this site where a user could specify if a leecher below a certain number can DL their torrent file. That would put those who hate disproportionate leechers in the driver's seat over who they will or will not allow to DL their file.

I'm not for a global site policy. Some seeders just don't care, they just want to share the muse.

ballsdeep
2010-03-09, 08:12 PM
I apologize for my ratio, in advance.

THAT said, when I get a cpu, watch-the-FUCK-out.

ESPECIALLY in the winter.

the Alaskan vault has some tasty treats!

mdshrk1
2010-03-09, 09:01 PM
I still think we should ban thoughtless seeders.

pissah
2010-03-09, 10:27 PM
well my ratio ain't so good - just a few DVD things blew it down - but still

Many ISPs throttle upload speeds to prevent you running a server - it might be that some people can download a torrent in an hour but would need to seed for a LOT longer - if there are enough other leechers - to get to 1-1 just because of their ISP. Comcast is notorious for that.

not much you can do about it if you can't just get another ISP - some areas you have only one choice.

Look at leechers as the people helping YOU keep YOUR ratio up and quit worrying about "thoughtless" or whatever.

thanks to mdshrk1 for being a very generous sharer

AAR.oner
2010-03-10, 07:11 AM
not much you can do about it if you can't just get another ISP - some areas you have only one choice.

you can leave the torrent open for long enough to u/l a decent amount back...there are torrent sites where i've had to leave a torrent running for 3 mnths in order to u/l back, others can do the same

and there are other ways to make up for not u/ling -- offer the show as a vine or B&P for those who can't torrent...many ways to give back, IF YOU WANT TO

Thulani
2010-03-10, 07:24 AM
You can also make a good ratio by downloading shows from blogs that offer bootlegs on rapidshare, megaupload, hotfile, etc. then put them on share on the tracker.

pissah
2010-03-10, 11:21 AM
You can also make a good ratio by downloading shows from blogs that offer bootlegs on rapidshare, megaupload, hotfile, etc. then put them on share on the tracker.

Those are almost always mp3s

Leaving a torrent gpoing for three months just to get to 1-1 is ridiculous

but do it IF YOU WANT TO

Thulani
2010-03-10, 01:41 PM
Not really. If you search well you'll find a few lossless blogs & forums with uploads on servers.

Take for example queenzone.com, not exactly a blog, not exactly the best site ever when it comes to design, but they have good sharers. Download a boot from there and upload it here. They have there torrents and uploads to servers like mediafire, megaupload, rapidshare etc. All you need to do is say thank you.

Homebrew101
2010-03-10, 02:09 PM
Not really. If you search well you'll find a few lossless blogs & forums with uploads on servers.

Take for example queenzone.com, not exactly a blog, not exactly the best site ever when it comes to design, but they have good sharers. Download a boot from there and upload it here. They have there torrents and uploads to servers like mediafire, megaupload, rapidshare etc. All you need to do is say thank you.

a few years ago some one from that site was in here bitching how everything is mp3 based there and no one gave a shit when he complained about it :lol:

daddyray
2010-03-10, 02:11 PM
yeah well it is just Queen :)

Thulani
2010-03-10, 02:59 PM
a few years ago some one from that site was in here bitching how everything is mp3 based there and no one gave a shit when he complained about it :lol:
Things changed, not the website & forum functionality, but the quality of shared recordings increased.

Homebrew101
2010-03-10, 03:52 PM
yeah well it is just Queen :)

I freaked when I saw a commercial over the weekend for One Night with Queen (a tribute band)

wtf? are there now enough people that want to pay $50 to see a cover band?

J.R. Ewing
2010-03-14, 03:36 AM
I freaked when I saw a commercial over the weekend for One Night with Queen (a tribute band)

wtf? are there now enough people that want to pay $50 to see a cover band?and the Queen stage show is destroying the West-End tradition, darling, absolutely destroying it. Such riff-raff one sees attending these ghastly shows.
At least the Queen show is at the Tottenham Court Road end of things; it doesn't cast too great a dispersion on Shaftesbury Avenue.

lintoni
2010-03-14, 05:40 PM
“Yesterday, some hooligans knocked over a dustbin in Shaftesbury” … Wooooo. The hooligans are loose! The hooligans are loose!… What if they become ruffians? I would hate to be a dustbin in Shaftesbury tonight.

Bill Hicks

uninvited94
2010-03-14, 05:51 PM
wtf? are there now enough people that want to pay $50 to see a cover band?

Yep, me. The Musical Box, twice. "Selling England"-show and "Lamb Lies Down"-show, it was worth it each time.

freezer
2010-03-14, 08:46 PM
Yep, me. The Musical Box, twice. "Selling England"-show and "Lamb Lies Down"-show, it was worth it each time.

I take it you never saw Genesis with Peter Gabriel then?

Homebrew101
2010-03-15, 10:06 AM

about 5 years ago I got a free ticket to see Musical Box perform Selling England and I'm sorry but I couldn't stop thinking "Yeah they sound good but it's a fucking cover band doing Genesis not the real thing"

I was so glad I didn't pay $40 like my brother did.

I'd maybe pay to see Randy Hansen doing Jimi again, haven't seen Randy since 1980 but remember enjoying that show more than MB

shopkin
2010-03-17, 10:53 AM
wasnt phil collins in genesis?:wtf:

J.R. Ewing
2010-03-21, 06:26 AM
“Yesterday, some hooligans knocked over a dustbin in Shaftesbury” … Wooooo. The hooligans are loose! The hooligans are loose!… What if they become ruffians? I would hate to be a dustbin in Shaftesbury tonight.

Bill Hicksof course i am more than well aware of Shaftesbury Avenue in Soho, but not a place called "Shaftesbury"... :lol4: is that some London hinterland known only to the initiated.... oh no, i see it's a tiny village in Dorset.:disbelief surprising how well travelled Bill Hicks was. ;)

deadhead02
2010-06-01, 07:59 AM
this is a tough one to answer. i only recently was introduced to this site and as a result i downloaded about 5 older torrents and after completing, my ratio was 0.21. i seeded them for 4-5 days after, i still am, but because noone was dowlloading them my ratio was stuck at around 0.21. if it wasnt for 2 newer torrent becoming available i would take absolutely ages to get my ratio up to a respectable level.

only because i have seeded 1 of these new torrents to a ratio of nearly 4 have i bin able to get my ratio up, otherwise i'd be fooked!

i'm like most people and would like to see everyone seed at least up to a 1.0 ratio but sometimes its not possible. theres about another 5-10 torrents i would love to d/load in here but i know my ratio is gonna plummet from doing so as they are older torrents too, so ive held off.

I am new too and greedily downloaded a huge video (10GB) of the wonderful Grateful Dead - its old so who knows if I will ever seed back what I have taken but the intention is there and I will leave it on my computer to seed. Thank goodness this site won't stop me looking for more unlike others where I have struggled to maintain a decent ratio. Seems a shame to stop folk from looking for shows they want for fear of ruining a ratio because no-one is downloading it any more. I am happy to offer copies of my cassettes but didn't think anyone wanted them these days - have loads of Dead shows on cassette....

AAR.oner
2010-06-01, 06:38 PM
its different for new members, yer not exactly the one these folks get upset about...most of us understand when ya first join its like a smorgasboard and many of the ones you d/l don't have any others leeching...leave yer torrents seedin and someone will hop on eventually

its the folks who have been here for years, have d/l'ed hundreds of GBs but only u/l'ed say 20 GB in return that folks get pissed at ;)

steeve_a
2010-06-23, 01:00 AM
about 5 years ago I got a free ticket to see Musical Box perform Selling England and I'm sorry but I couldn't stop thinking "Yeah they sound good but it's a fucking cover band doing Genesis not the real thing"

Wow- I saw Genesis on their Lamb Lies Down tour at the Berkeley Community Theater. I decided to drop acid one last time for that show and it was a real trip. :wtf: I guess some of their earlier shows were even stranger than that one...

I read the first page or two of this discussion and I don't quite understand what is meant by "paying back". I always thought it meant uploading more bytes than you downloaded, and if you can upload new torrents, that is even better but not required. Some people can't upload for one reason or another, but as long as their ratio is healthy I see no problem.

On some of the trackers there are the active uploaders who put up the fresh content and there are the active seeders who keep those torrents going. I think that a good tracker needs both of those types. What it *doesn't* need is the snatch'n'run leechers as well as the superseeders with the seedboxes who make it hard for regular members to build their ratio- assuming that there are ratio guidelines being enforced (if ratios are not enforced then it doesn't really matter).

steeve_a

P.S. I think it is impossible for everyone on a tracker to have a ratio higher than 1.0 unless there is some sort of bonus system. The seeders uploading bytes need peers to download those bytes. Which is why some trackers expect you to maintain a ratio of 0.5

Quackers
2010-06-23, 05:52 PM
P.S. I think it is impossible for everyone on a tracker to have a ratio higher than 1.0 unless there is some sort of bonus system. The seeders uploading bytes need peers to download those bytes. Which is why some trackers expect you to maintain a ratio of 0.5

Even a 0.5 is a bit too high, unless some restrictions are established to those who overseed a lot.

harpsichord
2010-06-27, 09:04 AM
but i certainly ain't gonna re-open a torrent for someone who's gotta a really shitty ratio...and excessive leechers i just block in my bt client

What I'd like to see here would be a display of the ratio everywhere a member's name appears. For example, if a member posts in a thread their ratio stats appear under their name, but in the drop-down 'peers list' you show only a leecher's name and port listed. I'd like to see the code for ratio added there, because I agree that I wouldn't be interested in reviving a torrent for a lousy ratio. I know I can always look up their user names, but it seems like adding a line of code is a much more efficient solution, and maybe the constant listing will help prod some people towards better behavior. (yeah, I know, wishful thinking, but wtf)

I'm sympathetic to newbies that haven't had time to build a ratio, but they're not the ones we're discussing here.

AAR.oner
2010-06-27, 11:12 AM
a person's ratio does appear under their name with each post

as far as total ratio being listed by a pserson's name in a torrent's "Peer List", that is a good idea...dunno if there's already a code written that or not

maliciousduke
2010-07-09, 09:54 AM
on dime (not that am comparing this site to them) has an automatic setup.
if u reach below .25 they stop you from downloading. and then u can only up.
something about it is manually set through the site..and is not even humanly controlled. the whole point of keeping a decent ratio is to keep seeds on a torrent and keep them alive!!!...its really disturbing to see 100 people download a show that was upped a week ago, and then there is 1 or 2 seeders...i voted for .50 ratio at least. thats only 1/2 of what u took.
and on the other hand some people (like me)dl a bunch at a time then seed it out for a month or 2 so it may appear that a ratio was low....but you must keep seeding to keep a torrent up, otherwise it dies!...my true opinion is
there are way to many freeloaders...uploading is only your time and hd space.
if u cannot give any of it back, then u r selfish and you should be cut off...
if u keep fronting some weed from someone and never pay,u will eventually or right away be cut off..:nono:..sharing is caring and there isnt a whole lot of caring left in this world....its a shame that free things(which is great cos i already pay for ther net)get ruined by people who dont care!:mad: just my .2cents :wtf:
thats probably worth .1/2cent

greendude
2010-07-23, 12:57 AM
Who cares about ratios. Those who give will give, those who take will take. Not everyone has the bandwith to give back what they take. All that matters is that the music is circulating, and it always will. Before you bash my ratio, you should know that when i signed up here i downloaded older torrents. I've slowly been bringing my ratio up, and will continue to do so.

U2Lynne
2010-07-24, 05:07 PM
What I'd like to see here would be a display of the ratio everywhere a member's name appears. For example, if a member posts in a thread their ratio stats appear under their name, but in the drop-down 'peers list' you show only a leecher's name and port listed. I'd like to see the code for ratio added there, because I agree that I wouldn't be interested in reviving a torrent for a lousy ratio. I know I can always look up their user names, but it seems like adding a line of code is a much more efficient solution, and maybe the constant listing will help prod some people towards better behavior. (yeah, I know, wishful thinking, but wtf)
I just added the code so if you hover over the user's name in the Peers List, their stats will show up.

jabulon
2010-07-25, 02:17 AM
I just added the code so if you hover over the user's name in the Peers List, their stats will show up.
Thanks U2Lynne! Nice handy feature.

The Wicker Man
2011-01-01, 11:26 PM
I think if you want to start banning thoughtless leechers, don't start a torrent based site. How do you think shit was done before torrents. Some of us have to steal all the wireless we can and we are firewalled and can't forward our ports because we don't know the idiot who left his wireless unsecure and know there would be no way in trying to educate them on port forwarding.

My balls are dry, suck my balls!

I am leaving... again...again... again...

a_doubt
2011-01-11, 05:29 AM
Nice feature, thank you for adding. This and the "Your Seeding Opportunities" feature makes this site very comfortable to use.

And regarding the topic, I agree with others that I wouldn't be interested in reviving a torrent for someone with a lousy ratio.

havrefras
2011-01-16, 07:48 AM
Nice feature, thank you for adding. This and the "Your Seeding Opportunities" feature makes this site very comfortable to use.

And regarding the topic, I agree with others that I wouldn't be interested in reviving a torrent for someone with a lousy ratio.

I agree!

ccrider895
2011-01-16, 09:06 PM
Some of us have to steal all the wireless we can and we are firewalled and can't forward our ports because we don't know the idiot who left his wireless unsecure and know there would be no way in trying to educate them on port forwarding.

The Wicker Man
2011-01-17, 01:08 AM
I agree!

What if I had a lousy ratio, but I vine that show to 50 other people... What if I B&P it for many people. That takes a lot more effort and time and love of the music to burn, package, drive to the post office and mail shows to other people than just leaving the internet connection on a extra couple of days...

Oh, and thanks to all the PJ shows you have been seeding. I love every one!

-Brian

AAR.oner
2011-02-21, 03:46 PM
What if I had a lousy ratio, but I vine that show to 50 other people... What if I B&P it for many people. That takes a lot more effort and time and love of the music to burn, package, drive to the post office and mail shows to other people than just leaving the internet connection on a extra couple of days...

Oh, and thanks to all the PJ shows you have been seeding. I love every one!

-Brian

something we [TTD Staff] have always pushed :thumbsup

understandably not everyone has the upload bandwidth for a 1:1 ratio, but there are numerous other ways to give back...vines, B&Ps, freebies, etc -- all great ways to share

mdshrk1
2011-02-21, 04:22 PM
I think thoughtless uploaders should be banned. :horse:

mdshrk1
2011-02-21, 04:22 PM