PDA

View Full Version : Just multi-gen cassette ?

ffooky
2005-08-01, 10:42 AM
This is from Echo & The Bunnymen 1979-09-16 and the lineage given is Soundboard - Cassette - ? - CD - EAC - Nero Wave Editor (pitch corrected) - CD - EAC - Flac (level 6)

I have the same recording on an LP which sounds a lot crisper. Is the lack of higher frequencies here attributable to being a multigen cassette source, wrongly applied Dolby at some stage or something else ? The SA is a little bit blocky when zoomed in but the FA displays the stairsteps (throughout the file) that has been associated here with ATRAC-R. Any ideas ?

Hiroshi
2005-08-01, 10:54 AM
how does copying cassette cause high frequency loss? i think this is myth among hopeful collectors.

range_hood
2005-08-01, 12:46 PM
how does copying cassette cause high frequency loss? i think this is myth among hopeful collectors.Unless you hit the NR button Iīd say you gain high frequencies (hiss). Though you could say you loose the high frequencies of the recorded music if the hiss gets out of hand and buries the music.

This is from Echo & The Bunnymen 1979-09-16 and the lineage given is Soundboard - Cassette - ? - CD - EAC - Nero Wave Editor (pitch corrected) - CD - EAC - Flac (level 6)What kind of pitch correction was applied.
If you transponse to a lower tone pitch you will also transpose the cutoff you normally donīt see (on lossless recordings). Frequency response of red book standard audio is limited to 22kHz.
Red Book Standard (http://stereos.about.com/od/homestereotechnologies/a/dgital_tech_3.htm)

This looks somewhat lossy. Could you do a cool edit sa of 2 secs.

Five
2005-08-01, 12:55 PM
in zoomed_sa.pdf you can really see blocks, no amount of copying cassettes can create these! This is lossy.

ffooky
2005-08-01, 01:28 PM
This looks somewhat lossy. Could you do a cool edit sa of 2 secs.
Nope sorry, I'm running a crippled OS :-)

in zoomed_sa.pdf you can really see blocks, no amount of copying cassettes can create these! This is lossy.
That's what I suspected and I posted screenshots to the DIME mods as soon as the first track completed but their experts are unavailable at the mo so the torrent's still running. It's a real pity because the same seeder is offering the Teardrop Explodes set from the same night but the lineage is the same. If the consensus here is that it's lossy I'll post shots to the threads themselves.

delay
2005-08-11, 04:26 PM
Having had downloaded both sets prior to reading this thread, allow me to offer my 2 second takes on things: first, a little Echo...

delay
2005-08-11, 04:28 PM
And now for some Teardrops...

Five
2005-08-12, 12:54 AM
I'd call that lossy... both of them

ssamadhi97
2005-08-12, 06:16 PM
how does copying cassette cause high frequency loss? i think this is myth among hopeful collectors.
Not at all. Cassettes generally cannot store the full bandwidth of an audio cd, as far as I know / remember most usually roll off softly from 16 to 19 kHz.

ffooky
2005-08-12, 06:46 PM
ssamadhi, do you have an opinion on the lossiness or otherwise of these shows ?

ssamadhi97
2005-08-13, 08:20 AM
Yes, so far I agree with Five's assessment, there's definitely lossiness going on there.

Not sure whether it's mp3 or md though. The uneven cutoff could suggest md or maybe a rather crappy mp3 encoder? I'd have to take a closer look at an audio clip of this myself..