The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-07-28, 11:36 AM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

Your thoughts about Azureus please

Until very recently, I've been using another BT client (Shareaza) and really have no compaints about it except some very minor ones. I've been reading that Azureus is supposed to be one of the best, but I've also seen people saying it was garbage for one reason or another. I just installed the latest verion of Azureus and was wondering what negative things people have to say about it, that I should maybe watch for. It's installed on a PC and so far I like it. The stats are accurately relayed to the tracker here and at Dime. I don't go to any other sites, but I may be checking out Bootcity soon. I do see that it tends to use CPU resources, but as far as I know, don't all BT clients use a little more CPU than the average progam because they're constantly checking the hash of the blocks that are coming in?

Anyone have anything bad to say about it so that I can see if I experience the same thing? I'd like to get used to this one (and all it's quirks) as quickly as possible and your opinons/experiences would be helpful.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-07-28, 12:40 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Re: Your thoughts about Azureus please

don't do it, Ted...

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ead.php?t=9261

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2005-07-28, 12:52 PM
56.17 GB/77.95 GB/1.39

I don't understand this stuff about hogging resources...Azureus runs fine on the kids' 350 MHz iMac, which is basically powered by a couple of mice on wheels.

Black Keys - I Got Mine
Tintern Abbey - Vacuum Cleaner
Old 2005-07-28, 01:14 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

Thanks, I was looking for that thread.

Well, that's kinda what I wanted to hear in this thread - people's negative experiences. So far, with the exception of it using slightly more CPU than my prior client, it's not too bad. The comments about it's interface, it being "slow" (whatever that means), and it being crap are all opinons. Those I'll discard.

The ones like the AV going nuts are what I'm interested in. If I experience too many of the same problems everyone else is having, then I'll consider going to another client because most likely, the problem is with the client. If my experiences are different, I'll first try to determine if it's me/my system or a problem with the client.

Though I haven't experienced this yet, I suspect that person may not have their AV configured correctly or it's just a bad AV prorgam. My AV hasn't complained at all.

The large footprint - it may be large, but so far I'm handling that easily with only 256MB of RAM on the computer it's running on, so not a problem there.

I know I said Azureus was off my list, but BitTornado still crashes itself when I try to run it. I'm not going to invest any more time in trying to figure that one out. ABC was the other possibility, but I haven't heard enough positive things about it yet.

Azureus has so many more options and gives more information than I'm used to and I'd just hate to invest the time to get to know it when I may be wasting my time and that's the reason for my wanting negative comments - so I can look for those things specifically.
Old 2005-07-28, 01:20 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffooky
I don't understand this stuff about hogging resources...Azureus runs fine on the kids' 350 MHz iMac, which is basically powered by a couple of mice on wheels.
It does use more resources than the "average" program, but I suspect that it's due to it hashing every block as it receives it - which is something I would assume ALL clients do. I could be wrong though, since I don't have much experience with other clients - I'm only going by the way I know BT works.

What works on your computer or my computer may not work the same on someone else's. There is a lot to be taken into consideration when evaluating how a program affects one's system.

EDIT: ffooky - what's your sig mean? I've seen it before somewhere. Is it Polish?
Old 2005-07-28, 02:25 PM
rerem
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I use Bit Tornado on this old relic puter. Auz uses more CPU and Ram,and like Tornado,is slow to release RAM once you close the app. Perhaps a machine with ample resources would show no effects. With Auz I could not do anything else when I had a window open-so I uninstalled,returned to Bit Tornado
Old 2005-07-28, 02:43 PM
56.17 GB/77.95 GB/1.39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
EDIT: ffooky - what's your sig mean? I've seen it before somewhere. Is it Polish?
Just next-door(ish). I was mucking around with Azureus's preferences and changed the language to Lithuanian. It means "I have a SOCKS proxy, baby".

It'll be my first choice chat up line next time I'm cruising downtown Vilnius

Black Keys - I Got Mine
Tintern Abbey - Vacuum Cleaner
Old 2005-07-28, 03:07 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

Quote:
Originally Posted by rerem
I use Bit Tornado on this old relic puter. Auz uses more CPU and Ram,and like Tornado,is slow to release RAM once you close the app. Perhaps a machine with ample resources would show no effects. With Auz I could not do anything else when I had a window open-so I uninstalled,returned to Bit Tornado
Thanks for the reply. What operating system are you using and how much RAM do you have?

Thanks ffooky
Old 2005-07-28, 07:25 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
It does use more resources than the "average" program, but I suspect that it's due to it hashing every block as it receives it - which is something I would assume ALL clients do. I could be wrong though, since I don't have much experience with other clients - I'm only going by the way I know BT works.
part of the trouble is that Azureus "compies to bit" ... I have no idea what that means, my gf told me that's why its got big feet.

Quote:
Old 2005-07-28, 08:18 PM
228.01 GB/712.14 GB/3.12

I've been using Azureus since last September, and have been pretty happy with it. The only real problem I've had was when they added DHT and dime blocked it. So I looked what people here suggested at the time...and tried G3. G3 initially worked great, nice interface...then 2 weeks later, would freeze the window, but keep seeding and downloading, but couldn't tell how much. By then I was caught up at dime and went back to Azureus.
Old 2005-07-28, 08:32 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostboy
I've been using Azureus since last September, and have been pretty happy with it. The only real problem I've had was when they added DHT and dime blocked it. So I looked what people here suggested at the time...and tried G3. G3 initially worked great, nice interface...then 2 weeks later, would freeze the window, but keep seeding and downloading, but couldn't tell how much. By then I was caught up at dime and went back to Azureus.
I'm using the latest version on Dime. I think the DHT was causing problems with torrents that were older than a certain date. The two I've downloaded were very recent. My ratio is still accurate there.

Five - I just woke up from a nap and my head is still a little fuzzy.
"compies to bit" - is that a typo, a joke, or is that really what she said? You have me curious.
Old 2005-07-28, 08:45 PM
I love them redheads!
70.51 GB/140.66 GB/1.99

I recently switched from Azureus to Bit Comet.

Jury's still out on my final word but so far I'm liking it better the Az.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpermaLopez
Sorry, I'm still a n00b.
Old 2005-07-28, 08:50 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

Why did you switch?
Old 2005-07-28, 08:58 PM
108.55 GB/299.86 GB/2.76

I have been using Azureus for 6 months now and like it a lot. I have not had any problems with it at all. The only time it seems to slow anything down is when I load up multiple torrents at one time, I am talking 10 torrents running at once (It really doesn't it slow it down that much either). If I only have a couple of torrents downloading/uploading my system runs perfectly including burning CDs and DVDs while torrents are going. I am running a AMD 1ghz, 512mb, 200gigs w/Win XP (SP2).

I have noticed since I installed XP last year everything seems to run more efficiently.

peace
Old 2005-07-28, 10:52 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
Five - I just woke up from a nap and my head is still a little fuzzy.
"compies to bit" - is that a typo, a joke, or is that really what she said? You have me curious.
Java compiles to bytecode meaning that what you get when you compile a java program is not understandably by any computer. There is an intermediary, the Java run time Environment, that relays signals from the program to the computer. This allows for easy cross platform compatibilty, but comes with an overhead.

^^written by my gf

p.s. compies to bit should have read compiles to bytecode. oopsie!

Quote:

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble