The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2004-11-26, 01:41 PM
What'cha Got There?
208.73 GB/1.99 TB/9.77

Putting "Extra Stuff" in a DVD file directory?

If I create a video DVD in a program like Nero, it creates two folders called, "Audio_TS" and "Video_TS."

I've read somewhere that the Audio_TS folder isn't always necessary and is included due to compatibility issues with some brands/models of players, or it could be for compatiblity with old(er) players....no big deal with me as I don't mess with that folder.

Recently I was in a torrent where the person not only put up a Video_TS file, but also included a folder named "Extras" (had some misc info and a pdf file in it). Not sure what to do (and just to see if it would work) I went ahead and included this in my burn. The disc plays fine in my Sony standalone and my computers, so it would appear that this doesn't do anything bad....
Also, I found out not too long ago from some postings that some folks actually burn video DVD's with an info file (".txt") on the disc...not in the Video_TS folder, but above that (guess you'd call it the root directory?). Now, from the discussions I've read, they do this so they always have the information on the show right with the disc so it never gets lost, but they did say that there "may" be compatiblity issues with doing this on some players.

Wish I would've thought of doing this a long time ago as it sounds like a great idea, but I'd like some feedback/opinions as to whether it's a good or not. I mean, is it going to mess up playing the disc on 5% of the players or 50% of them....and if you can just throw an "Extras" folder in there too, sounds like a good place to store the artwork too if you have it in electronic format.

So is this good to do, or would I have to re-author that copy of a Slayer concert I give to great-grandma Martha so she can rock out in her living room? (ok, what I really mean with that statement is: good or bad for trading too)
Old 2004-11-26, 05:23 PM
923.61 MB/96.22 MB/0.10

Re: Putting "Extra Stuff" in a DVD file directory?

Well, I'm not an expert on DVD at all, but from my experience, I've found that my standalone DVD player ignores anything that's not located in the VIDEO_TS folder, so I put the .nfo or .txt files, along with any .jpg's for coverscans into the root. Doesn't seem to hurt a thing.

Anyone else ??
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2004-11-26, 05:30 PM
What'cha Got There?
208.73 GB/1.99 TB/9.77

What kind of DVD player do you have? I've got a sony, but haven't had a chance to try any other kinds out since I learned about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo2u
Well, I'm not an expert on DVD at all, but from my experience, I've found that my standalone DVD player ignores anything that's not located in the VIDEO_TS folder, so I put the .nfo or .txt files, along with any .jpg's for coverscans into the root. Doesn't seem to hurt a thing.

Anyone else ??
Old 2004-11-26, 05:47 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I've been putting any text files (.txt) and covers (.jpeg or .jpg) into the root and haven't had any problems playing them on my Apex player or computer. But then, I always tell people to buy cheap Apex players because they play everything.

Old 2004-11-26, 06:18 PM
What'cha Got There?
208.73 GB/1.99 TB/9.77

Yeah, Apex players are tanks (Tonka maybe)...go anywhere, do anything...

"Meow!" ?...you're speakin my lingo there girl... Got some spare catnip if you're interested...great before the Nugent concert...

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
I've been putting any text files (.txt) and covers (.jpeg or .jpg) into the root and haven't had any problems playing them on my Apex player or computer. But then, I always tell people to buy cheap Apex players because they play everything.
Old 2004-11-26, 07:58 PM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

Well, I've read (somewhere) that adding additional files in the root could cause some standalone players to not be able to read them. I've never tried it myself, but it sounds like some of you have and not had a problem. I keep the info files and artwork in my tradelist, but it would be a good idea to put them onto the disc itself if it could be confirmed that it wouldn't screw up people's playback ability.

The Audio_TS folder is, of course, unnecessary and can be just not burned at all.

And Apex = good! I had an old one (one of their first models) that I hacked the firmware to that played literally every, from VCD to DVD and even non-standard MPEGs just burned to a disc. It died a few years ago though . I hear some of the newer ones don't even need to be hacked. I've got a real nice sony that I bought for SACD, but have gotten annoyed with the limitations it has lately and have been very close to buying a cheapo Apex just to be able to play back DVDs that I now have to put into my PC to get them to work.

Oh...and I'm sure katnapz will appreciate this one : my alcoholic cat is, right now, trying desperately to lick the top of my beer bottle. You toss him down from the desk on one side, he sneaks up on the other side thinking no one sees him. Sometimes we play a game where I hide the bottle and see how long it takes for him to find it....the more I have, the funnier it gets.

Maybe we should start a "post a picture of your cat" thread!
What's never been,
At the ending of life and the coming of death,
Pass not through its gates but into the dark.
Old 2004-11-26, 08:21 PM
923.61 MB/96.22 MB/0.10

My Apex player has no problem with these, and my other no name Best Buy special that's in the bedroom works fine too.

You might want to spend some time here: http://www.videohelp.com/ to learn more about DVD issues.
Old 2004-11-26, 09:48 PM
What'cha Got There?
208.73 GB/1.99 TB/9.77

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDawg
Oh...and I'm sure katnapz will appreciate this one : my alcoholic cat is, right now, trying desperately to lick the top of my beer bottle. You toss him down from the desk on one side, he sneaks up on the other side thinking no one sees him. Sometimes we play a game where I hide the bottle and see how long it takes for him to find it....the more I have, the funnier it gets.

Maybe we should start a "post a picture of your cat" thread!
Now a friend of mine used to get his basset drunk once in awhile (years ago, and she lived to a ripe old age so her health was good everyone) but I've never heard of a cat going after alcohol
Mine has a hankering for, well,...ANYTHING! I mean the normal stuff like tuna and things, but corn, peas, uncooked pasta (the BIG stuff!), hot tabasco sauce, italian dressing...<sigh>

And you don't want to see her...she's pushing 20lbs this year. She gains a pound per year. She's a big, loud, bermese (i.e., siamese) who's very vocal.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble