The Traders' Den  

  The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble
 

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 2009-02-23, 03:06 PM
PEPSIMAN's Avatar
PEPSIMAN PEPSIMAN is offline
481.23 GB/697.05 GB/1.45
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ontario Canada
I'm better if shown as opposed to reading.

My ratio sucks( mostly due to downloading videos) and I would really like to seed (reseed?) some of the great shows I have gotten from the Den to improve my numbers, but I get totally intimidated by the jargon and find it very hard to follow the written instructions on how to seed a show. Is there anyone in the Burlington Ont. Canada area who might be able to show me in person how to do this. If anyone can help please drop me a line. thanks.

Brian
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #2  
Old 2009-02-23, 03:36 PM
Aimee Wilbury Aimee Wilbury is offline
97.51 GB/219.10 GB/2.25
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Re: I'm better if shown as opposed to reading.

I'm not from the area, but the easiest thing to do is to leave the torrent up after it's done.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #3  
Old 2009-02-24, 01:28 PM
GRC's Avatar
GRC GRC is offline
Trader since 1980
1.86 TB/1.37 TB/0.73
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UK
Re: I'm better if shown as opposed to reading.

There's nothing difficult, just - as the previous poster said - don't close down any show once YOU reach 100%. Leave it open (which with the video torrents, can sometimes be for days, rather than hours), so that everyone else can get data from you. All the data that goes out helps your share ratio.
Wait until your torrent client shows 0 peers, then wait some more to see if anyone else joins again, then wait for it to show 0 peers again, until you're sure no-one else needs it.

You don't need to 're-seed' anything. If anything that you've got already is still active, just open it up in your torrent program, and let other folks access it.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #4  
Old 2009-02-24, 01:41 PM
U2Lynne's Avatar
U2Lynne U2Lynne is offline
TTD Staff
471.57 GB/2.01 TB/4.37
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: California
Re: I'm better if shown as opposed to reading.

If one of the FAQ items is confusing you and you think it needs images to help, can you please post a link here so I can try to 'fix' it. We do try to make the faq items understandable to new users and I'm more than willing to try to improve them.
__________________
Five's Checksums Demystified - everything and anything you want to know about checksums
On a Mac? Get XLD to rip your CDs. Please see this guide - X Lossless Decoder (XLD): How to create flawless CD rips on Mac OS X

TTD GoFundMe Campaign

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #5  
Old 2009-02-24, 02:50 PM
showtaper's Avatar
showtaper showtaper is offline
304.10 GB/469.31 GB/1.54
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Re: I'm better if shown as opposed to reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEPSIMAN View Post
My ratio sucks( mostly due to downloading videos) and I would really like to seed (reseed?) some of the great shows I have gotten from the Den to improve my numbers, but I get totally intimidated by the jargon and find it very hard to follow the written instructions on how to seed a show. Is there anyone in the Burlington Ont. Canada area who might be able to show me in person how to do this. If anyone can help please drop me a line. thanks.

Brian
Don't jump on torrents that are at the end of their life. A torrent that has 25
seeders, no leechers and has been snatched 450 times is not good for your
ratio. You'll be the only leecher with no one to seed.

Do try to get on a couple of torrents early and stay on them until you've given
back more than you have taken.

Here's a real novel concept: try starting a torrent with a show you recorded
or grabbed in a trade. This would also help your ratio.....
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #6  
Old 2009-02-24, 03:40 PM
PEPSIMAN's Avatar
PEPSIMAN PEPSIMAN is offline
481.23 GB/697.05 GB/1.45
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ontario Canada
Re: I'm better if shown as opposed to reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtaper View Post
Don't jump on torrents that are at the end of their life. A torrent that has 25
seeders, no leechers and has been snatched 450 times is not good for your
ratio. You'll be the only leecher with no one to seed.

Do try to get on a couple of torrents early and stay on them until you've given
back more than you have taken.

Here's a real novel concept: try starting a torrent with a show you recorded
or grabbed in a trade. This would also help your ratio.....
Thanks for the info. I really love the den and definitely want to give back. I started out taking large video torrents and didn't understand to leave the torrent open after it finished downloading which I've since learned. I think your first point has been my problem as I tend to go after older torrents. By getting on torrents early do you mean I should be taking shows which appear on the first page even if I have no interest in the show? Unfortunately I don't have the necessary equipment to tape my own shows and go that route.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #7  
Old 2009-02-25, 03:12 PM
dorrcoq's Avatar
dorrcoq dorrcoq is offline
Champion of the Silent
TTD VIP
624.37 GB/1.88 TB/3.08
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Re: I'm better if shown as opposed to reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEPSIMAN View Post
By getting on torrents early do you mean I should be taking shows which appear on the first page even if I have no interest in the show? .
It would be pretty silly to download stuff you don't want just to improve your ratio. Try to look at the first page more often, then you'll see shows you do want when they are first posted, and you can get on them from the start.
__________________
how can I obey the rule about no sexually explicit posts after seeing Lynne's back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider
I think Gray has all these grand plans and I'm sorry to bring it up when it came down to it he couldn't even sell t-shirts without fucking it up.

"please mind your own fucking business, you Looney cocksucker" - Freezer, 7/12/06
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #8  
Old 2009-02-26, 11:49 AM
showtaper's Avatar
showtaper showtaper is offline
304.10 GB/469.31 GB/1.54
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Re: I'm better if shown as opposed to reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEPSIMAN View Post
Thanks for the info. I really love the den and definitely want to give back. I started out taking large video torrents and didn't understand to leave the torrent open after it finished downloading which I've since learned. I think your first point has been my problem as I tend to go after older torrents. By getting on torrents early do you mean I should be taking shows which appear on the first page even if I have no interest in the show? Unfortunately I don't have the necessary equipment to tape my own shows and go that route.
I'd never suggest to d/l shows you have no interest in just to raise your ratio.
I'm just suggesting you get on a few as early as possible and seed as long as
the torrent is still being grabbed.

Is this the only place you get live music? Unless you live on Mars you should
be able to record some FM stuff that people might be interested in having.

Sorry if my original post came off as sarcastic, I need to remember that not
everyone here is a taper........
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #9  
Old 2009-02-26, 03:45 PM
rainy12's Avatar
rainy12 rainy12 is offline
739.36 GB/1.39 TB/1.92
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Rockchester, NY
Re: I'm better if shown as opposed to reading.

Here is what I did when I found myself in the same dilemma and still do:

After you log on go to Orphaned Torrents which is located under the Torrents column. There are two small black arrows that can be used to sort the torrents alphabetically. Look for torrents that you have, click on the thread and start the torrent. You will now be seeding that torrent and be making someone else happy. It looks like you have a good number of shows if they are still on your hard drive. Too many people just leave a boat load of torrents running which makes everything crawl. Fewer torrents running is better.
__________________
Yoko Ono - Turning paint into paint chips since 1961
Better to be ruled by one than oppressed by thousands.
Godzilla ga ginza hoomen e mukatte imasu! - 1978
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #10  
Old 2009-02-26, 08:24 PM
PEPSIMAN's Avatar
PEPSIMAN PEPSIMAN is offline
481.23 GB/697.05 GB/1.45
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ontario Canada
Re: I'm better if shown as opposed to reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainy12 View Post
Here is what I did when I found myself in the same dilemma and still do:

After you log on go to Orphaned Torrents which is located under the Torrents column. There are two small black arrows that can be used to sort the torrents alphabetically. Look for torrents that you have, click on the thread and start the torrent. You will now be seeding that torrent and be making someone else happy. It looks like you have a good number of shows if they are still on your hard drive. Too many people just leave a boat load of torrents running which makes everything crawl. Fewer torrents running is better.
Thanks Rainy12 this is the kind of info I'd been looking for. I found two shows on the orphaned list and followed your instructions and am on my way to improving my ratio. Feel much better about helping others get the really good quality music that the den has to offer.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #11  
Old 2009-02-26, 08:28 PM
PEPSIMAN's Avatar
PEPSIMAN PEPSIMAN is offline
481.23 GB/697.05 GB/1.45
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ontario Canada
Re: I'm better if shown as opposed to reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtaper View Post
I'd never suggest to d/l shows you have no interest in just to raise your ratio.
I'm just suggesting you get on a few as early as possible and seed as long as
the torrent is still being grabbed.

Is this the only place you get live music? Unless you live on Mars you should
be able to record some FM stuff that people might be interested in having.

Sorry if my original post came off as sarcastic, I need to remember that not
everyone here is a taper........
thanks showtaper. I have jumped on two new torrents and am on my way. Don't worry about the supposed sarcasm as I've definitely seen much harsher comments than that. Help from you and others is what will keep the den rolling. I have gotten some really amazing music and am happy to be sharing it with others.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #12  
Old 2009-02-28, 10:50 AM
PEPSIMAN's Avatar
PEPSIMAN PEPSIMAN is offline
481.23 GB/697.05 GB/1.45
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ontario Canada
Re: I'm better if shown as opposed to reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRC View Post
There's nothing difficult, just - as the previous poster said - don't close down any show once YOU reach 100%. Leave it open (which with the video torrents, can sometimes be for days, rather than hours), so that everyone else can get data from you. All the data that goes out helps your share ratio.
Wait until your torrent client shows 0 peers, then wait some more to see if anyone else joins again, then wait for it to show 0 peers again, until you're sure no-one else needs it.

You don't need to 're-seed' anything. If anything that you've got already is still active, just open it up in your torrent program, and let other folks access it.
Thanks for the help. I have some shows on my hard drive that are still active (as in not orphaned) and when I try to open them in my torrent program it begins to download them again. the orphaned shows that need torrents begin seeding right away. Why is that?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #13  
Old 2009-03-04, 04:39 PM
rainy12's Avatar
rainy12 rainy12 is offline
739.36 GB/1.39 TB/1.92
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Rockchester, NY
Re: I'm better if shown as opposed to reading.

Make sure the download location is the same as the torrent you are trying to seed. If you haven't been on that torrent recently normally it first will read the torrent to check if it needs any files completed or if it is complete.
__________________
Yoko Ono - Turning paint into paint chips since 1961
Better to be ruled by one than oppressed by thousands.
Godzilla ga ginza hoomen e mukatte imasu! - 1978
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #14  
Old 2009-03-04, 06:44 PM
globalgroove globalgroove is offline
79.86 GB/140.62 GB/1.76
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Re: I'm better if shown as opposed to reading.

Remember to say thanks for the torrent. This is a standard which you should always follow, but with the added bonus of moving the torrent back to the top of the front page.

You will be amazed at how many other people can then suddenly jump on to wanting the torrent because they have overlooked it in the past. I have found this especially true for older less active torrents.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #15  
Old 2009-03-06, 11:50 AM
shopkin's Avatar
shopkin shopkin is offline
The Happy Guy
558.64 GB/1.09 TB/1.99
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SJC SO-CAL
Re: I'm better if shown as opposed to reading.

buy a big external hard drive and dont throw away your torrent files when your done burning them.....just hold on to them..and when some late comer jumps on and wants a seed you will be there to help out....ive been doing this for years with the sublime DVD here....and go ahead leave the computer seeding over night and watch what happens.....
__________________
Kill Your Ego!!
Catch The K-Waves

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Reply

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Similar Threads
Thread Forum Replies Last Post
Why don't seeds & peers shown in tracker show up in my BT client? - aikox2 Technobabble 5 2005-08-30 11:46 AM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forums


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:10 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - , TheTradersDen.org - All Rights Reserved - Hosted at QuickPacket
no new posts