The Traders' Den  

  The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble
 

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 2008-06-29, 06:18 PM
lounge_act's Avatar
lounge_act lounge_act is offline
54.13 GB/54.75 GB/1.01
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Costa Rica
DVD Burning Speeds

for some reason, now burning a video DVD or a data DVD will take up to 25-30 minutes, when it used to do it in less than 10 minutes...

so i've checked the speed and it's burning at 1.0x, I use TDK DVD's and the max is 16x, so I always burn at 12x, but now even if I select any speed it will still copy at 1.0x or lower...

also tried with other media and cd's but no improvement so far.

tried with ONES and Nero and nothing seems to change, updated the firmware version, uninstalled programs but still nothing.... what could be going wrong, does the unit have some "reading-writing" options by default that are modifiable or that depends on the application you use to burn?

i just created another flac dvd and i noticed that it never went above 1.0x, it actually started to constantly decrease until reaching a ridiculous speed of 0.6x

it's an lg gsa-h22n

any thoughts or suggestions?
__________________
Tool Drive Project
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #2  
Old 2008-06-29, 06:55 PM
dude87 dude87 is offline
1.11 TB/8.95 TB/8.05
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Re: DVD Burning Speeds

It's one of two things, most likely. Either your media is bad or your drive is going bad. When I have a burner go bad it first starts burning slower and then starts introducing errors. You've tried a new spindle of media so it's probably not the media - spend $30 on a new internal burner.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #3  
Old 2008-06-29, 07:05 PM
tgunn2760's Avatar
tgunn2760 tgunn2760 is offline
1.12 TB/1.19 TB/1.06
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Canada, eh?
Re: DVD Burning Speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude87 View Post
It's one of two things, most likely. Either your media is bad or your drive is going bad. When I have a burner go bad it first starts burning slower and then starts introducing errors. You've tried a new spindle of media so it's probably not the media - spend $30 on a new internal burner.
I have to agree.

How old is your drive?

I will never buy another LG by the way. There are too many brands out there.
__________________
Partial DVD list here:
http://db.etree.org/tgunn2760

Text file of over 1500 DVDs:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxX3...Q2M/edit?pli=1

Trading status: Canada and USA only-please VERIFY all discs.

http://db.etree.org/public_wantlist....erid=tgunn2760
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #4  
Old 2008-06-29, 07:51 PM
lounge_act's Avatar
lounge_act lounge_act is offline
54.13 GB/54.75 GB/1.01
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Costa Rica
Re: DVD Burning Speeds

got it 02/2007

i was already thinking about a new internal drive since they're not very expensive.... any recommended models?... something affordable but reliable.... capable of burning dual layers discs....

already had a lite-on and this lg which have not satisfied my interests...
__________________
Tool Drive Project
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #5  
Old 2008-06-29, 08:15 PM
tgunn2760's Avatar
tgunn2760 tgunn2760 is offline
1.12 TB/1.19 TB/1.06
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Canada, eh?
Re: DVD Burning Speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by lounge_act View Post
got it 02/2007

i was already thinking about a new internal drive since they're not very expensive.... any recommended models?... something affordable but reliable.... capable of burning dual layers discs....

already had a lite-on and this lg which have not satisfied my interests...
It's not that old, it shouldn't be giving you those kind of problems.

You can run tests with Nero but I don't know how to do them.

Sony, BenQ, Pioneer would be decent brands I think.

I would stay away from LG.

Another thing, you shouldn't burn DVDs at more than 4X.

For a single layer, that shouldn't take more than 15 mns, a little longer if you have VERIFY on. (highly recommended.)
__________________
Partial DVD list here:
http://db.etree.org/tgunn2760

Text file of over 1500 DVDs:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxX3...Q2M/edit?pli=1

Trading status: Canada and USA only-please VERIFY all discs.

http://db.etree.org/public_wantlist....erid=tgunn2760
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #6  
Old 2008-06-29, 10:36 PM
dude87 dude87 is offline
1.11 TB/8.95 TB/8.05
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Re: DVD Burning Speeds

Go to any online retailer like newegg.com and look for burners. OEM models (which don't include cables, extra software or sometimes manuals) are generally under $30 for a dual-layer drive. I figure a burner is good for 1 1/2-2 years, depending on how heavily you use it. You've already got cables and software, the manuals can be found online, so there's no reason not to get an OEM model and save some money.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #7  
Old 2008-06-30, 12:16 AM
lounge_act's Avatar
lounge_act lounge_act is offline
54.13 GB/54.75 GB/1.01
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Costa Rica
Re: DVD Burning Speeds

I already checked on Newegg and they're pretty cheap. I don't have a prob just getting rid of the one I have and getting a new one. The real issue is that I'm not from the US, it would actually cost almost the double getting one of those OEM drives... And they only ship to the US.... But I'll have to see. I have a shit load of stuff to burn ASAP.
__________________
Tool Drive Project
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #8  
Old 2008-06-30, 02:24 AM
Thulani's Avatar
Thulani Thulani is offline
172.31 GB/208.97 GB/1.21
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Romania
Re: DVD Burning Speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by lounge_act View Post
for some reason, now burning a video DVD or a data DVD will take up to 25-30 minutes, when it used to do it in less than 10 minutes...

so i've checked the speed and it's burning at 1.0x, I use TDK DVD's and the max is 16x, so I always burn at 12x, but now even if I select any speed it will still copy at 1.0x or lower...

also tried with other media and cd's but no improvement so far.

tried with ONES and Nero and nothing seems to change, updated the firmware version, uninstalled programs but still nothing.... what could be going wrong, does the unit have some "reading-writing" options by default that are modifiable or that depends on the application you use to burn?

i just created another flac dvd and i noticed that it never went above 1.0x, it actually started to constantly decrease until reaching a ridiculous speed of 0.6x

it's an lg gsa-h22n

any thoughts or suggestions?
I think your drive is in PIO.
Right click on My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware -> Device manager -> IDE ATA... -> Primary/secondary (check all 4)-> properties -> Advanced settings -> there should be on DMA (if its in PIO put it on DMA then reboot)

See also the bios settings if this will not work.

Last edited by Thulani; 2008-06-30 at 02:31 AM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #9  
Old 2008-06-30, 06:41 AM
dude87 dude87 is offline
1.11 TB/8.95 TB/8.05
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Re: DVD Burning Speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by lounge_act View Post
I already checked on Newegg and they're pretty cheap. I don't have a prob just getting rid of the one I have and getting a new one. The real issue is that I'm not from the US, it would actually cost almost the double getting one of those OEM drives... And they only ship to the US.... But I'll have to see. I have a shit load of stuff to burn ASAP.
Ah, sorry, can't help you with a supplier outside the US, although I'm sure one exists.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #10  
Old 2008-06-30, 09:12 AM
DanielG's Avatar
DanielG DanielG is offline
300.35 GB/438.48 GB/1.46
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Australia
Re: DVD Burning Speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by lounge_act View Post
The real issue is that I'm not from the US, it would actually cost almost the double getting one of those OEM drives... And they only ship to the US....
Where are you from? Just go to any local computer store that builds their own computers and you'll be able to pick up an OEM drive.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #11  
Old 2008-06-30, 11:23 AM
lounge_act's Avatar
lounge_act lounge_act is offline
54.13 GB/54.75 GB/1.01
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Costa Rica
Re: DVD Burning Speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielG View Post
Where are you from? Just go to any local computer store that builds their own computers and you'll be able to pick up an OEM drive.
Of course I know that I can get them here. I'm from Costa Rica. My point is that newegg or any store in the US have very cheap prices compared to here, where it would cost almost the double.
__________________
Tool Drive Project
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #12  
Old 2008-06-30, 01:02 PM
direwolf-pgh's Avatar
direwolf-pgh direwolf-pgh is offline
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: down in the basement
Re: DVD Burning Speeds

it could be the microcode on that batch of TDK discs.
the discs 'tell' the burner at what speed to negotiate at.
it could also be that the firmware of the burner isn't recognizing the disc properly.

2
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #13  
Old 2008-06-30, 10:02 PM
lounge_act's Avatar
lounge_act lounge_act is offline
54.13 GB/54.75 GB/1.01
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Costa Rica
Re: DVD Burning Speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by kill_them_all1000 View Post
I think your drive is in PIO.
Right click on My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware -> Device manager -> IDE ATA... -> Primary/secondary (check all 4)-> properties -> Advanced settings -> there should be on DMA (if its in PIO put it on DMA then reboot)

See also the bios settings if this will not work.
You're a saviour

I never really understood the difference between PIO & DMA, following your advice I did it and the setting was under PIO, so I switched it back to DMA, booted and burned a DVD, but nothing really changed.

Then I went to the cdfreaks forum, made a thread, looked for some info and came up with this:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/1712827-post3.html

Executed the script, booted again, burned a disc... Took 5 minutes

So everything is back to normal now. The things that you learn every day

Thanks to all for any input they gave to the subject
__________________
Tool Drive Project
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #14  
Old 2008-07-01, 07:08 PM
homer1 homer1 is offline
251.28 GB/219.18 GB/0.87
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Re: DVD Burning Speeds

thank you lounge and kill1000 for the advice in this thread.

my burn speeds started taking alot longer (3-4x), i somehow got switched to pio mode.

i would have probably went out and bought a new drive if i didnt read this 1st.

thanks.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Reply

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Similar Threads
Thread Forum Replies Last Post
download speeds - david sheppard Technobabble 7 2010-04-10 12:33 AM
internet speeds - lachy_legend Technobabble 2 2007-12-16 11:11 PM
My speeds are way down - Chuffer Technobabble 11 2006-09-16 01:54 PM
Speeds negligible with BT. - JayDub Technobabble 48 2006-01-11 01:32 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forums


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - , TheTradersDen.org - All Rights Reserved - Hosted at QuickPacket
no new posts