The Traders' Den  

  The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble
 

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 2008-02-14, 10:29 AM
madpicken's Avatar
madpicken madpicken is offline
TTD VIP
612.61 GB/2.37 TB/3.96
 
Join Date: May 2005
How to verify a dvd is exact after it is burned

People should burn md5 checksums with the dvd video files in order to make sure that the discs they burn and trade are exact copies. Files get corrupted during the burning process, especially with dual layer discs. People who extract their discs using dvd shrink also recode the disc and deviate the files from the original copy.

In order to allow a checksum scan on the disc after it is copied, you must generate the md5 in such a way that it is housed around the Video_TS folder. By generating a md5 of the Video_TS folder, you cannot run a scan on the disc. You should generate the file of the folder that houses the video_TS folder (ie disc 1). But do it prior to adding the Audio_TS or text documents because we are only concerned with the contents in the Video_TS folder.

When you burn the disc, make sure you put the md5 (and/or text and dvd covers) outside of the directory of the Video_TS and Audio_TS folder. This way you can still play the dvd video on any dvd player, since the player is only concerned with looking at the Video_TS folder. Any files outside those 2 directories are strictly data. Run the scan after you burn the disc and it will let you know whether or not you have an exact disc. I used to use Nero to verify data being burned and found it to be highly unreliable. MD5 checksums are the best way to verify.

I understand this is an extra step. But it is an effort to keep from polluting the trading pool with deviant copies. Those who want to keep exact copies of the original should adopt this method and keep all original md5, text files, and or dvd covers with the dvd's that they seed and trade.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #2  
Old 2008-02-14, 10:35 AM
vladsmythe vladsmythe is offline
TTD VIP
6.48 TB/3.58 TB/0.55
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Re: How to verify a dvd is exact after it is burned

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpicken View Post
People should burn md5 checksums with the dvd video files in order to make sure that the discs they burn and trade are exact copies. Files get corrupted during the burning process, especially with dual layer discs. People who extract their discs using dvd shrink also recode the disc and deviate the files from the original copy.

In order to allow a checksum scan on the disc after it is copied, you must generate the md5 in such a way that it is housed around the Video_TS folder. By generating a md5 of the Video_TS folder, you cannot run a scan on the disc. You should generate the file of the folder that houses the video_TS folder (ie disc 1). But do it prior to adding the Audio_TS or text documents because we are only concerned with the contents in the Video_TS folder.

When you burn the disc, make sure you put the md5 (and/or text and dvd covers) outside of the directory of the Video_TS and Audio_TS folder. This way you can still play the dvd video on any dvd player, since the player is only concerned with looking at the Video_TS folder. Any files outside those 2 directories are strictly data. Run the scan after you burn the disc and it will let you know whether or not you have an exact disc. I used to use Nero to verify data being burned and found it to be highly unreliable. MD5 checksums are the best way to verify.

I understand this is an extra step. But it is an effort to keep from polluting the trading pool with deviant copies. Those who want to keep exact copies of the original should adopt this method and keep all original md5, text files, and or dvd covers with the dvd's that they seed and trade.
Excellent advice madpicken. Thank you for sharing it with the community in such a thorough manner!
__________________
"Anyone that likes Bob Wills' music is bound to have some good in them."
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #3  
Old 2008-02-14, 11:09 AM
sadu sadu is offline
789.83 GB/484.60 GB/0.61
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Re: How to verify a dvd is exact after it is burned

Can anyone verify using EXTRAS_TS is a valid folder for data? I know it has been used before but unsure if it's safe for all media/players?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #4  
Old 2008-02-14, 11:26 AM
AAR.oner's Avatar
AAR.oner AAR.oner is offline
ense et aratro
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Appalachia
Re: How to verify a dvd is exact after it is burned

i can't say 100% across the board--but i've never had a problem using an EXTRAS_TS folder, and no one has complained from mail trades either




first...

edit the .md5 file to run from the EXTRAS_TS folder:

add ../VIDEO_TS/ between the * and the filename on each line of the md5, being careful NOT to change any of the checksum [string of letters & numbers]

so the following md5:
Quote:
10D6AAF7F997CC589055CE5590269B6E *VIDEO_TS.BUP
10D6AAF7F997CC589055CE5590269B6E *VIDEO_TS.IFO
ABC88C8A0EB98A922B3F484D60AF40CF *VIDEO_TS.VOB
BF594B11C8F6CFBA723AF5FB851CFC5A *VTS_01_0.BUP
BF594B11C8F6CFBA723AF5FB851CFC5A *VTS_01_0.IFO
A57761F112E174866F6DA2900A784540 *VTS_01_0.VOB
452F64CE4A54920FE9F1B8DFF827B9C5 *VTS_01_1.VOB
852D703A2C0CD035D1C042A0B77E607B *VTS_01_2.VOB
418832205086CF9AAB557BE991CCCA15 *VTS_01_3.VOB
E184CEC44EEC112F5D3BA3FBA8C6AAC9 *VTS_01_4.VOB
7B346179E464EAC47EBF3F9DA876BC82 *VTS_01_5.VOB
becomes:
Quote:
10D6AAF7F997CC589055CE5590269B6E *../VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.BUP
10D6AAF7F997CC589055CE5590269B6E *../VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO
ABC88C8A0EB98A922B3F484D60AF40CF *../VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.VOB
BF594B11C8F6CFBA723AF5FB851CFC5A *../VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.BUP
BF594B11C8F6CFBA723AF5FB851CFC5A *../VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.IFO
A57761F112E174866F6DA2900A784540 *../VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.VOB
452F64CE4A54920FE9F1B8DFF827B9C5 *../VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB
852D703A2C0CD035D1C042A0B77E607B *../VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_2.VOB
418832205086CF9AAB557BE991CCCA15 *../VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_3.VOB
E184CEC44EEC112F5D3BA3FBA8C6AAC9 *../VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_4.VOB
7B346179E464EAC47EBF3F9DA876BC82 *../VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_5.VOB




next...

burn the DVD using whatever program you prefer [we use Toast]:

--Select "DVD-ROM(UDF)" as disc type
--Add the VIDEO_TS folder [ifo, bup, vob's], an empty AUDIO_TS folder, and an EXTRAS_TS folder [md5, info txt, artwork, etc]
--Burn
__________________
TTD's Gear Lust Forum -- info & reviews on taping gear
Basics of EQing

"A man is none the less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years."
- Lysander Spooner
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #5  
Old 2008-02-14, 12:56 PM
Five's Avatar
Five Five is offline
TTD Staff
186.65 GB/588.32 GB/3.15
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Canada
Re: How to verify a dvd is exact after it is burned

^EXTRAS_TS method has also worked great for me. with the modified md5 you can just double-click and test the disc anytime for corruption. Has worked in every DVD player I've tried except a very very old Toshiba one.
__________________
Checksums Demystified EAC Config MakeTorrent WinAmp Config

Modern social theory casts a highly skeptical eye on any declaration that a group of persons is without conflict, and insists, on the contrary, that conflict is natural to groups, and even more, is essential to them. -Patrick Henry
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #6  
Old 2008-02-14, 01:33 PM
js1516 js1516 is offline
653.80 GB/2.54 TB/3.97
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Re: How to verify a dvd is exact after it is burned

I've been burning my DVD's withe EXTRAS_TS folder and I haven't had a problem with it.

Question: I burn Dvd's with IMGBurn and when its done burning it cycles the tray and then verifies the disc. Is this the same thing or something different, if this is different then what is it actually verifying?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #7  
Old 2008-02-14, 02:41 PM
dorrcoq's Avatar
dorrcoq dorrcoq is offline
Champion of the Silent
TTD VIP
536.38 GB/1.20 TB/2.29
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Re: How to verify a dvd is exact after it is burned

I always put my MD5's, art, text files, etc. in the Audio_TS folder, and have never had a problem with them playing or verifying.
__________________
how can I obey the rule about no sexually explicit posts after seeing Lynne's back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider
I think Gray has all these grand plans and I'm sorry to bring it up when it came down to it he couldn't even sell t-shirts without fucking it up.

"please mind your own fucking business, you Looney cocksucker" - Freezer, 7/12/06
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #8  
Old 2008-02-14, 04:07 PM
Chaosu's Avatar
Chaosu Chaosu is offline
66.55 GB/78.32 GB/1.18
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Re: How to verify a dvd is exact after it is burned

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1516 View Post
I've been burning my DVD's withe EXTRAS_TS folder and I haven't had a problem with it.

Question: I burn Dvd's with IMGBurn and when its done burning it cycles the tray and then verifies the disc. Is this the same thing or something different, if this is different then what is it actually verifying?
Same question here, if I'm verifying data after burning and its 100% ok isn't it enough?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #9  
Old 2008-02-14, 04:19 PM
U2Lynne's Avatar
U2Lynne U2Lynne is offline
TTD Staff
467.74 GB/2.01 TB/4.40
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: California
Re: How to verify a dvd is exact after it is burned

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpicken View Post
I used to use Nero to verify data being burned and found it to be highly unreliable. MD5 checksums are the best way to verify.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaosu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by js1516 View Post
I've been burning my DVD's withe EXTRAS_TS folder and I haven't had a problem with it.

Question: I burn Dvd's with IMGBurn and when its done burning it cycles the tray and then verifies the disc. Is this the same thing or something different, if this is different then what is it actually verifying?
Same question here, if I'm verifying data after burning and its 100% ok isn't it enough?
These are two different things. How they are different, I'm not sure exactly, but I have had DVD verify OK (in Toast in my case, since that is what I use to burn) and then had checksums/fingerprints fail on the disc. I don't know that I have ever had checksums/fingerprints all verify on the disc but the disc verification fail though. Of course, if a disc fails to verify, then I usually just throw it right out and don't both to try the checksums/fingerprints.
__________________
Five's Checksums Demystified - everything and anything you want to know about checksums
On a Mac? Get XLD to rip your CDs. Please see this guide - X Lossless Decoder (XLD): How to create flawless CD rips on Mac OS X

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #10  
Old 2008-02-14, 04:33 PM
madpicken's Avatar
madpicken madpicken is offline
TTD VIP
612.61 GB/2.37 TB/3.96
 
Join Date: May 2005
Re: How to verify a dvd is exact after it is burned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaosu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by js1516 View Post
I've been burning my DVD's withe EXTRAS_TS folder and I haven't had a problem with it.

Question: I burn Dvd's with IMGBurn and when its done burning it cycles the tray and then verifies the disc. Is this the same thing or something different, if this is different then what is it actually verifying?
Same question here, if I'm verifying data after burning and its 100% ok isn't it enough?
no not enough. i've been using nero and using data verification after the burning some dual layers. a certain number of files have failed the md5 checksum on the disc even when nero said it was verified. the md5 check is a sure way to tell which files were corrupted during the burn.

as for the extra_TS file, all good, as long as you can run the md5 checksum on disc after it is burned. i say to hell with that folder and just put them and any other files you want to keep on the archive outside the video_TS and audio_TS folder. im talking, generating the checksum so all you have to do is double click it to scan the disc once it is burned. If you have to drag and drop the md5 in to the Video_TS folder, you are doing it wrong. Or make one md5 for a whole a 2-3 disc file set. Once the disc is burned the information is permanent and you can not drag and drop the md5. Just make a different md5 for each disc so you can check them all individually as they get burned.

For the majority of the stuff i've downloaded here, most people do not generate their md5's to work in this format. They only work when you have the files onto the hard drive and you can do a little bit of manipulating to have it work.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #11  
Old 2008-02-14, 04:35 PM
madpicken's Avatar
madpicken madpicken is offline
TTD VIP
612.61 GB/2.37 TB/3.96
 
Join Date: May 2005
Re: How to verify a dvd is exact after it is burned

u can skip data verification and go right to md5 verification. i'd imagine it is faster this way.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #12  
Old 2008-02-14, 04:50 PM
ffooky ffooky is offline
10.91 GB/10.56 GB/0.97
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Re: How to verify a dvd is exact after it is burned

You may well find that Toast (and Nero ?) will alter the VIDEO_TS.BUP/IFO files if the original was a homebrew preparation but only in such a way as to make the whole shebang 100% standard. As long as the *.VOB files are unaltered and pass any MD5 checks, any other MD5 failures are completely irrelevant and in no way affect the integrity of the material. The altered files will pass verification because Toast is aware that it altered them.

HAL: I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.
__________________
Two tracks for a desert island:

Black Keys - I Got Mine
Tintern Abbey - Vacuum Cleaner
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #13  
Old 2008-02-14, 05:32 PM
schmoe75's Avatar
schmoe75 schmoe75 is offline
VBT Mod
TTD Staff
0.00 KB/5.40 TB/Inf.
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: USA
Re: How to verify a dvd is exact after it is burned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five
EXTRAS_TS method has also worked great for me.
Over a year now, never had a single problem with it and haven't had one person mention an issue with it on a show I seeded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpicken
i've been using nero and using data verification after the burning some dual layers.
Fuck nero...get ONES.
__________________
While we were all dancing these people were working & now freely sharing - Ray
We dont play black, we dont play white, we just play what we know & feel - Miles
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #14  
Old 2008-02-14, 06:00 PM
bot's Avatar
bot bot is offline
4.86 GB/734.96 GB/151.30
 
Join Date: May 2007
Re: How to verify a dvd is exact after it is burned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffooky View Post
HAL: I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.
you better fly right macboy.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #15  
Old 2008-02-14, 06:09 PM
madpicken's Avatar
madpicken madpicken is offline
TTD VIP
612.61 GB/2.37 TB/3.96
 
Join Date: May 2005
Re: How to verify a dvd is exact after it is burned

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmoe75 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five
EXTRAS_TS method has also worked great for me.
Over a year now, never had a single problem with it and haven't had one person mention an issue with it on a show I seeded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpicken
i've been using nero and using data verification after the burning some dual layers.
Fuck nero...get ONES.
i hope it will solve my dual layer burning issues. it always fails at one of the ifo files and right around vob file number 5 (perhaps that is the point of the second layer). so to get by (because i resort to authoring dual layers at times), i just back the originals onto 2 single layers, which is a load of crap imo. ive wasted of a bunch of dual layer discs
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Reply

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Similar Threads
Thread Forum Replies Last Post
a program to verify original rip bitrate? - progandblues Technobabble 8 2009-02-17 05:42 PM
Verify written data? - kcjonz68 Technobabble 5 2008-02-10 10:54 PM
How to verify an Audio CD is burned correctly? - tedyun Technobabble 5 2005-10-16 10:12 PM
Unable to verify MD5's - STLBlues Technobabble 8 2005-09-13 09:53 AM
Exact Audio Copy - ironmaidenlewes Technobabble 2 2005-05-29 02:55 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forums


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - , TheTradersDen.org - All Rights Reserved - Hosted at QuickPacket
no new posts