The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble > Lossy or Lossless?

Notices

Lossy or Lossless? Please use this forum to post spectral and frequency analysis posts about shows you have your doubts about.

Old 2011-02-08, 07:08 PM
18.66 GB/27.39 GB/1.47

Re: Spotting Lossy Sources--links inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by zootype View Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pissah
Hello! has anybody had trouble with Trader's Little Helper's tool for checking for lossy files?
I have taped a few things straight to WAV, then after a bit of tweaking and EQing I often get a "source cannot be specified" or even "looks like MP3"
I KNOW there was no mp3 in the lineage so what's up with that??

So what exactly can this thread tell us about determining whether or not an upload would be acceptable here, re: lossy or lossless?
Not much, apparently.
OK I'll try to be less cranky and figure out this here spectrum anal thing
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2014-01-15, 05:58 AM
}{eywood, the Unstoppable
TTD VIP
78.89 GB/331.93 GB/4.21

Location: too close to Niagara Falls to see what the big deal is

AS mentioned in another thread, it is possible to fool all of you by using harmonic synthesis to restore the missing high end. I've tried this, showed it to one of my MQR labelmates who is skilled at reading spectrals, and he couldn't tell the difference. Neither could TLH (CDDA 100%). Add tape noise like the Zappateers do? Amateurs. Just restore the high end with harmonic synthesis and no one will be the wiser.

This is all hypothetical. I'd never do that and circulate it. Just making a point that there's no foolproof way to tell the difference.
On 9/15/14 Depositfiles I got a C&D letter from King Crimson for sharing two shows. In retaliation for this act of war these shows were posted to The Pirate Bay on 9/21/14, where they will never be able to be taken down. These old fart bands really have to get in touch with the times. They need to accept that the sale of recorded works is no longer lucrative and the only income they can count on is that from ticket sales. They tried to stop me and they failed. From now on I'll be posting any bands not allowed on private trackers on The Pirate Bay. How'd'ya like me now, ya greedy old bastards? You idiots are declaring war on your own fanbase. Come to your senses now before it's too late, because there are those of us on the other side who are ready and willing to fight such a war and bring the music back to the people.
Old 2014-03-05, 02:39 PM
meow.
87.21 GB/69.41 GB/0.80

Another neat program for spectral analysis is Sonic Visualiser.

http://www.sonicvisualiser.org/

It's free and open source.

With some tweaking its built-in spectrogram functionality is almost as good as that of CoolEdit Pro / Audition, even though it is not quite as customizable (color presets not editable, no dynamic range adjustment, no gamma adjustment)

The program is extensible through plugins, though I haven't tested any of those. Yet. <insert maniacal laughter here>

I've attached a Session Template to this post with settings I find to be suitable for source analysis. Extract it to %userprofile%\.Sonic Visualiser\templates and load it via File->Apply Session Template->Waveform and per-channel Spectrograms
Attached Images
File Type: png Sonic Visualiser.png
( 382.2 KB, 8 views)

Attached Files
File Type: zip Waveform and per-channel Spectrograms.zip
( 886 Bytes, 10 views)

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble > Lossy or Lossless?