The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-08-20, 09:31 AM
16.79 GB/15.70 GB/0.94

Question Bootleg Dubbing and Compatibility Issues - VHS or S-VHS ET?

In the upcoming weeks/months a friend of mine will be dubbing numerous master Hi8 (not Digital8) tapes to whatever choice of medium I send them. I will also be sending them the recording device for creating these dubbed copies. As I do not wish to spend gobs of money on this and I would like this to be easier for my provider, I have chosen to go with sending an S-VHS VCR, as they have s-video inputs so that the lines of resolution produced by the Hi8 camera can be more fully utilized.

The next choice is which medium I should use to have the dubs recorded to. As S-VHS tapes are harder to find and more expensive, I have decided I should use standard VHS tapes. Standard VHS tapes will allow me to record in two different ways on an S-VHS VCR - standard VHS or S-VHS ET. For those of you that are unaware, S-VHS ET is the recording of near S-VHS tape resolution on standard VHS tape. I intend to watch most of these tapes and create digital copies of them at some point, which may define which way I have my friend record the dubs.

VHS provides an obvious advantage in that it is playable on any VCR, allowing me to watch these bootlegs just about anywhere. VHS, however, does not provide as many lines of resolution for recording, creating a less desired picture for both viewing and digital transfer.

S-VHS ET allows near S-VHS resolution to be recorded onto standard VHS tapes, providing an improved picture for both viewing and digital transfer. S-VHS ET, however, will only playback on S-VHS VCRs, which I will only own one of by the end of this entire ordeal. Even further, I have also heard that some S-VHS ET recordings will only be played back on the machine they were made with, reducing compatibility for my own home viewing even more. Also, does S-VHS ET cut down recording time on standard VHS tapes?

Which recording format (if that is the correct word) do you think I should have my friend dub these bootlegs to? I do not want to have a dead VCR and not be able to get it repaired or get a new one, making possibly all my S-VHS ET recordings useless. What are your opinions?

Thank you.

Last edited by forkstriker4; 2006-08-20 at 09:50 AM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-08-21, 06:00 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Re: Bootleg Dubbing and Compatibility Issues - VHS or S-VHS ET?

i'd go with strictly S-VHS...forget ET, not really worth it...and stadard VHS is gonna give you a far inferior quaity to the SVHS, which is important if yer gonna transfer/author to DVD...

also, remember that every time you watch even the SVHS tapes, the quality is diminishing, so i'd get those transferred asap
Old 2006-08-21, 09:21 AM
16.79 GB/15.70 GB/0.94

Re: Bootleg Dubbing and Compatibility Issues - VHS or S-VHS ET?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
i'd go with strictly S-VHS...forget ET, not really worth it...and stadard VHS is gonna give you a far inferior quaity to the SVHS, which is important if yer gonna transfer/author to DVD...

also, remember that every time you watch even the SVHS tapes, the quality is diminishing, so i'd get those transferred asap
Well, I would definitely go with S-VHS, if I wanted to spend the money. I don't think I could afford the number of S-VHS tapes it would take to get dubs of these made. Also, yesterday I read at Wikipedia's S-VHS article that S-VHS ET recordings can be view on most standard VHS VCRs featuring S-VHS quasi-playback (SQPB).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
...S-VHS ET recordings can be viewed in most VHS SQPB VCRs and non-ET S-VHS VCRs.
I had heard in the past that S-VHS ET tapes would not playback on normal VCRs, but those must not have been VCRs featuring SQPB. More VCRs these days feature SQPB.

If I had the money, I'd go with S-VHS. I think I'll be going with VHS.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble