The Traders' Den  

  The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble
 

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 2006-03-25, 07:49 AM
inside'eye's Avatar
inside'eye inside'eye is offline
Sun Araw
78.89 GB/117.24 GB/1.49
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: If you cant be good be good at it
trojan?

My norton has been compromised.The given link reccomends a trojan removel program,it d/l's but does not operate. Then recomends to remove and reinstall norton. On removing, it stops and reads sig not recognised, do you want to carry on with "instillation"? clicking on yes or no makes no difference, it cancels itself.

The microsoft antispyware also cannot run a full scan,it stops with no notification what so ever,it just stops at "PID 3380:c:\windows\system32\rsaenh.dll"

I have since tried 4 different scan/removel programs, of which none worked by either:not downloading,
downloading but not registering the program in the o/s
or downloading,begining the scan but then stops,and closes the program.

This began two days ago, just one day after transfering all music and art files to data disc.I suppose you would call that lucky? thankyou.

Internet explorer runs slower,but firefox is normal.
__________________
1968- Rusty Monkey
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #2  
Old 2006-03-25, 08:01 AM
toys
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---
 
Re: trojan?

How do you know that Norton was compromised? I ask because a common tactic of the spyware/virus/badpeople is to give you a pop-up telling you that you've been infected and to click their link to fix the problem - when in fact your PC is fine to start with but if you click the link they provide it downloads their malicious crap onto your system and then you truly are screwed.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #3  
Old 2006-03-25, 08:20 AM
inside'eye's Avatar
inside'eye inside'eye is offline
Sun Araw
78.89 GB/117.24 GB/1.49
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: If you cant be good be good at it
Re: trojan?

The problems with the norton are:auto-protect against virus spyware is out
: e-mail is not protected

:instant messanger is not protected

:out going e-mails are not scanned.

I did not click on a pop-up.

The above may not sound as though I am in grave danger,but I am unable to perform any type of scans on my pc.
I tried a registry scan,which almost succeded,but It didn't.
__________________
1968- Rusty Monkey
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #4  
Old 2006-03-25, 09:16 AM
TheMamba's Avatar
TheMamba TheMamba is offline
I love them redheads!
70.51 GB/140.66 GB/1.99
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: South Florida
Re: trojan?

Hell, since you got all of your audio/video off earlier, get whatever else you need off burned to disc and reformat/reinstall windows.
__________________
Audio List

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpermaLopez
Sorry, I'm still a n00b.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #5  
Old 2006-03-25, 09:52 AM
inside'eye's Avatar
inside'eye inside'eye is offline
Sun Araw
78.89 GB/117.24 GB/1.49
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: If you cant be good be good at it
Re: trojan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMamba
Hell, since you got all of your audio/video off earlier, get whatever else you need off burned to disc and reformat/reinstall windows.
Hey wow! That sounds like a hoot!

Any pointers?
__________________
1968- Rusty Monkey
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #6  
Old 2006-03-25, 11:17 AM
diggrd's Avatar
diggrd diggrd is offline
1.10 TB/1.70 TB/1.54
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: SWNH
Re: trojan?

Have you tried starting in safe-mode and then running a scan.
__________________
DEMONROAST
LIST
Scene of a Perfect Crime


Quote:
Originally posted by frankenberry
anybody else who decides to call me a fuckhead troll newbie (you know who you are) should be made to listen to phish bootleg taped by a '73 led zeppelin taper
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #7  
Old 2006-03-25, 11:24 AM
ohkeepa's Avatar
ohkeepa ohkeepa is offline
time for the last rewind
838.29 GB/2.36 TB/2.88
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: in the hall of dismay
Re: trojan?

maybe download and run Ewido
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #8  
Old 2006-03-25, 11:39 AM
Five's Avatar
Five Five is offline
TTD Staff
186.65 GB/588.32 GB/3.15
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Canada
Re: trojan?

yeah, if you don't want to reformat first try scanning with another antivirus, like AVG (available free at grisoft.com). I've been using AVG for years it is excellent, some say as good/better than NAV.
__________________
Checksums Demystified EAC Config MakeTorrent WinAmp Config

Modern social theory casts a highly skeptical eye on any declaration that a group of persons is without conflict, and insists, on the contrary, that conflict is natural to groups, and even more, is essential to them. -Patrick Henry
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #9  
Old 2006-03-25, 01:04 PM
jcrab66's Avatar
jcrab66 jcrab66 is offline
We all walk the Long Road....
75.63 GB/483.42 GB/6.39
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Planet Bootleg
Re: trojan?

avast also works good, get rid of norton, its crap
__________________
If you want to see a damn good live show check out THIS band.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #10  
Old 2006-03-25, 01:18 PM
LazyTaper's Avatar
LazyTaper LazyTaper is offline
Too Big To Fail
47.12 GB/66.63 GB/1.41
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Re: trojan?

Is this with Norton 2006? Norton recently busted the cracked cersion. Could be that. If it is infact a trojan, what one does Norton think it is? Find out which one it is than it is very easy to clean most off..... but if it is indeed a trojan, I would format my computer and clear the bios. Really nasty ones can hide in the bios, etc.. and repropogate themselves even if you format.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #11  
Old 2006-03-25, 02:15 PM
drkhollow drkhollow is offline
30.42 GB/28.42 GB/0.93
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Re: trojan?

the last several releases of NAV and their bundled packages are terrible--
along with the huge footprints they leave their just not as effective as they once were. PC-Cillin is a good program and when I installed it the amount of stuff it found that norton let into my machine--well just one word NORTON SUCKS
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #12  
Old 2006-03-25, 08:02 PM
feralicious's Avatar
feralicious feralicious is offline
dare to discover
63.44 GB/133.90 GB/2.11
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: occasionally
Re: trojan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyTaper
Is this with Norton 2006? Norton recently busted the cracked cersion. Could be that. If it is infact a trojan, what one does Norton think it is? Find out which one it is than it is very easy to clean most off..... but if it is indeed a trojan, I would format my computer and clear the bios. Really nasty ones can hide in the bios, etc.. and repropogate themselves even if you format.
How do you clear one off your Bios? I might have one in there.

When I reformatted and went to load Windows off a disk my friend gave me I got a message from some AV software company that said I had a boot virus, didn't say anything about how to fix it, had a website on the message. I visited the website and it's an anti-virus software site and gave no instructions on what to do and I still don't understand how/why I got that message off a Windows disk for a newly formatted drive. I don't know where that Windows came from, it could very well have been a pirated version, maybe it was just advertising?

In any case I wouldn't mind checking further into the situation since I'm planning on doing another fresh install of Windows.
__________________
feralicious goodies
Don't get even.
Get odd.

....
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #13  
Old 2006-03-26, 09:33 PM
inside'eye's Avatar
inside'eye inside'eye is offline
Sun Araw
78.89 GB/117.24 GB/1.49
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: If you cant be good be good at it
Re: trojan?

Nice pointers there,thankyou. Starting With the safe mode scan It still encountered the same problems.

EWIDO read like wierd or wierdo to me.sorry. Through some "light" investigation the following trojans have now been removed:

trojan horse downloader.generic.VGO 6.93 KB- one.
trojan horse proxy.BBR 4.5 KB- five,and returns with every start up,tommorow will be six times.

These trojans are not yet removed:

trojan horse.abuiz.c.- one.
trojan horse kws.combo.h.- two.

And just for the hell of it, there is one hundred and sixty eight mal/adware,of which thirty eight are still active.
I got rid of norton,its crap
Are bio's like the binery ?
Thanks everyone.
__________________
1968- Rusty Monkey
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #14  
Old 2006-03-26, 10:06 PM
TheMamba's Avatar
TheMamba TheMamba is offline
I love them redheads!
70.51 GB/140.66 GB/1.99
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: South Florida
Re: trojan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralicious
How do you clear one off your Bios? I might have one in there.

When I reformatted and went to load Windows off a disk my friend gave me I got a message from some AV software company that said I had a boot virus, didn't say anything about how to fix it, had a website on the message. I visited the website and it's an anti-virus software site and gave no instructions on what to do and I still don't understand how/why I got that message off a Windows disk for a newly formatted drive. I don't know where that Windows came from, it could very well have been a pirated version, maybe it was just advertising?

In any case I wouldn't mind checking further into the situation since I'm planning on doing another fresh install of Windows.
Nina, I'd get with the manufacturer and see if they have any insight as to how to clear the BIOS of any viruses. It's not something you want to mess around with unless you have a manufacturer's tech guy (or manual) telling you step by step how to do it...a lot of the times it's as easy as moving a few jumpers around but if you get the wrong jumpers...you can have a big mess.

inside-eye: BIOS stands for Basic Input/Output System or Basic Integrated Operating System. It's the program on your motherboard that boots the computer up and starts detecting hard drives, printers, keyboard, mouse, etc. before Windows starts running.
__________________
Audio List

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpermaLopez
Sorry, I'm still a n00b.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #15  
Old 2006-03-26, 10:17 PM
lgerard's Avatar
lgerard lgerard is offline
Help, I'm Iraq
121.93 GB/227.52 GB/1.87
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: everything
Re: trojan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by inside-eye
Nice pointers there,thankyou. Starting With the safe mode scan It still encountered the same problems.

EWIDO read like wierd or wierdo to me.sorry. Through some "light" investigation the following trojans have now been removed:

trojan horse downloader.generic.VGO 6.93 KB- one.
trojan horse proxy.BBR 4.5 KB- five,and returns with every start up,tommorow will be six times.

These trojans are not yet removed:

trojan horse.abuiz.c.- one.
trojan horse kws.combo.h.- two.

And just for the hell of it, there is one hundred and sixty eight mal/adware,of which thirty eight are still active.
I got rid of norton,its crap
Are bio's like the binery ?
Thanks everyone.

You should open up the task manager and indentify any malicious applications or processes that are running. In order to remove some of these, it is first neccessary to stop them running, as many of them are written so as to prevent either the downloading or the execution of anti-viral or anti-spyware programs.

It also sounds llike you have not been very viligant in protecting yourself. You should run Ad Aware every day, and something like Spybot at least once a week. No program like Norton will ever protect you completely, although I agree that AVG is much better.
__________________
nevermind what jesus would do......what has he done for me lately?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Reply

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Similar Threads
Thread Forum Replies Last Post
Prince 1988-xx-xx The Trojan Horse Aftershow (SAB 140-41) (Sab's Small Club). (FLAC) - shockquake Audio Torrents 43 2016-09-24 10:31 AM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forums


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:20 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - , TheTradersDen.org - All Rights Reserved - Hosted at QuickPacket
no new posts