The Traders' Den  

  The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble
 

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
• Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 2005-09-21, 07:17 AM
alg alg is offline
106.37 GB/57.87 GB/0.54
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Vinyl analogue to FLAC transfers

Right I have several vinyl LZ boots bought in the early 80s that I would like to convert to FLAC.

I have read a few threads but would like to clarify the best route.

The setup is REGA3 tt with excellent cartridge/needle via preamp into creative audigy2 SC with nero 6 (megaplug in pack inc FLAC and SHN).

I may consider seeding them however the aim initially is for personnal use.

Questions
1 Should I use software to 'clean up' recordings? If yes what have people had experience with
2 Will nero 6 cope with analogue to digital conversion or do I need additional software ?
3 Do I plug the preamp into the Logitec surround sound controller line in port or into the soundcard ? Does it matter ?
4 Finally I am struggling to clearly identify all the vinyl ? anyone know of a good vinyl LZ boot website ? CD/DVD are everywhere !
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #2  
Old 2005-09-21, 08:01 AM
AAR.oner's Avatar
AAR.oner AAR.oner is offline
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Appalachia
Re: Vinyl analogue to FLAC transfers

first off, ALOT of the LZ vinyl boots are in circulation, so you might wanna find out if these have already been transferred to lossless first. as to a good website/database, i'm unsure, other than db.etree...i'll see if i can find out some LZ specific sites and post back here

Quote:
Originally Posted by alg
1 Should I use software to 'clean up' recordings? If yes what have people had experience with
NO, unless its only for personal use only...alot of audio progs have Noise Reduction, Pop/Click removal, etc, but they will *wreck* your recording...unless yer an *experienced* engineer with lots of remastering knowlege, i'd leave them be as is [apart from a possible Normalize to rise the overall levels]

if you wanna play with "clean-up" i would save and archive the "Raw" recording, then copy it to yer HD and fool with the "Copy" files...if you ever seed it, ONLY seed the "Raw" version
Quote:
Originally Posted by alg
2 Will nero 6 cope with analogue to digital conversion or do I need additional software ?
stay away from Nero except for burning discs. if you don't have access to a higher-end Audio prog, you can go with Audacity which is freeware...you can record the analogue signal, tracksplit, resample [if necessary], etc with this prog http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
Quote:
Originally Posted by alg
3 Do I plug the preamp into the Logitec surround sound controller line in port or into the soundcard ? Does it matter ?
not knowing what kinda outs you have on yer pre, most likely you'll be going RCA outs > line in jack on yer soundcard...

of course, using SPDIF Coax or another digi form of connection would be ideal, but i'm pretty sure the Audigy 2 didn'thave these capabilites [working off memeory]

as a note, i figure since you have a decent turntable, yer cartridge is good as well...i'd give the vinyl a good cleaning or two before hand, and if the cartridge is very used, replace before doing this...a great resource for vinyl related gear [at good prices] is turntablelab.com
__________________
TTD's Gear Lust Forum -- info & reviews on taping gear
The Basics of EQing
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #3  
Old 2005-09-21, 08:07 AM
alg alg is offline
106.37 GB/57.87 GB/0.54
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Re: Vinyl analogue to FLAC transfers

Thanks for that. I had already downloaded Audacity.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #4  
Old 2005-09-21, 08:25 AM
AAR.oner's Avatar
AAR.oner AAR.oner is offline
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Appalachia
Re: Vinyl analogue to FLAC transfers

audacity is good...fwiw, when i'm transferring shows from DAT to the computer, i use it to cature instead of one of the pro-level recording programs...simple and accurate!
__________________
TTD's Gear Lust Forum -- info & reviews on taping gear
The Basics of EQing
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #5  
Old 2005-09-21, 11:48 PM
Five's Avatar
Five Five is offline
TTD Staff
186.65 GB/588.32 GB/3.15
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Canada
Re: Vinyl analogue to FLAC transfers

alg,

go to royal-orleans.com and ask about these boots there. the ppl there are very cool and will help you out.

the vinyl boots you have are probably available in better quality but its always good to double-check.

out of curiosity, what are the titles of the vinyl boots? I used to collect vinyl zep boots, too.
__________________
Checksums Demystified EAC Config MakeTorrent WinAmp Config

Modern social theory casts a highly skeptical eye on any declaration that a group of persons is without conflict, and insists, on the contrary, that conflict is natural to groups, and even more, is essential to them. -Patrick Henry
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #6  
Old 2005-09-22, 04:04 AM
alg alg is offline
106.37 GB/57.87 GB/0.54
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Re: Vinyl analogue to FLAC transfers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five
alg,

go to royal-orleans.com and ask about these boots there. the ppl there are very cool and will help you out.

the vinyl boots you have are probably available in better quality but its always good to double-check.

out of curiosity, what are the titles of the vinyl boots? I used to collect vinyl zep boots, too.
Checked out all major LZ sites. Used royal orleans +++ great site Lots of info re CD boots but I would like to trace the versions I have.
Badge Holders 2LP
Destroyer box 4LP
Two double LP sets from 1980 tour venues unclear ? Berlin for one

The 1977 ones I can trace the show but wonder how many reissues from original I am. If you get my drift.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #7  
Old 2005-09-22, 08:46 AM
AAR.oner's Avatar
AAR.oner AAR.oner is offline
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Appalachia
Re: Vinyl analogue to FLAC transfers

alg--you might wanna search the net for Rare Record Collecting Guides that are out there...i'm unsure whether these include boots or not, but it might be a start...good luck!
__________________
TTD's Gear Lust Forum -- info & reviews on taping gear
The Basics of EQing
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #8  
Old 2005-09-22, 10:11 AM
bowman's Avatar
bowman bowman is offline
Shellac of North America
13.53 GB/12.07 GB/0.89
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Clemson, SC
Re: Vinyl analogue to FLAC transfers

Quote:
Originally Posted by alg
Questions
1 Should I use software to 'clean up' recordings? If yes what have people had experience with
2 Will nero 6 cope with analogue to digital conversion or do I need additional software ?
3 Do I plug the preamp into the Logitec surround sound controller line in port or into the soundcard ? Does it matter ?
4 Finally I am struggling to clearly identify all the vinyl ? anyone know of a good vinyl LZ boot website ? CD/DVD are everywhere !
1. Not to disagree with Aaron, but noise/click pop removal will not wreck your recording if you use it at an extremely low setting. Typically, its only good for getting rid of the small, nearly inaudible clicks. It will get rid of some of the bigger sounds, but make sure you listen to the recording carefully after running click removal.

That being said, Sonic Foundary's Noise Removal is pretty damn awesome.

For 95% of the clicks and pops in vinyl, I manually remove the clicks/pops. After a while, you really start to get used to what the clicks and pops look like and you're able to instantly delete each pop.

2. Technically, the A>D isnt handled by *any* software, its handled by your soundcard.

3. Depends on the manuf. but make sure that your record player does not need to run into a reciever before running into the line input. Record player recievers have something called an RIAA curve and this curve may or may not exist in your 'preamp' so if your first attempt at recording sounds terrible, this is why.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #9  
Old 2005-09-22, 11:15 AM
AAR.oner's Avatar
AAR.oner AAR.oner is offline
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Appalachia
Re: Vinyl analogue to FLAC transfers

i've noted that Bowman...yer catchin a beatdown next time i come down off the mountain

nah, i just usually discourage using any sort of processing simply because most folks don't have the audio engineering knowlege, equipment, or "ear" to properly clean up a recording...if you [the universal "you"] got the knowlege, by all means give it a go! otherwise, its best to leave it in a "raw" form, and others can clean up for personal listening as they see fit

as to the preamp, most preamps designed for turntables basically work as a "receiver"...for instance, my "preamp" is my mixer...to transfer, i run my turntables > mixer > comp line in [for "basic" soundcard setup, not my highend setup ]

what you *don't* want to do is boost yer turntable's signal with the preamp, and then boost it again with the soundcard...hence using the line-in only, and not mic-in or similar...

hope that makes sense...i'm on a coffee binger right now
__________________
TTD's Gear Lust Forum -- info & reviews on taping gear
The Basics of EQing
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #10  
Old 2005-09-22, 01:12 PM
Five's Avatar
Five Five is offline
TTD Staff
186.65 GB/588.32 GB/3.15
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Canada
Re: Vinyl analogue to FLAC transfers

Quote:
Originally Posted by alg
Checked out all major LZ sites. Used royal orleans +++ great site Lots of info re CD boots but I would like to trace the versions I have.
Badge Holders 2LP
Destroyer box 4LP
Two double LP sets from 1980 tour venues unclear ? Berlin for one

The 1977 ones I can trace the show but wonder how many reissues from original I am. If you get my drift.
which Badge Holders? the one with Jimmy on the front or the one with Robert or do you have both? They were sold separately. I believe the original was the dragonfly pressing, with a pic of a dragonfly printed on the centre of the records themselves. the 2nd pressing had plain white no dragonfly as I recall, but I'll have to look that up.

there are a lot of versions of Destroyer, it was Clevland '77 the earlier versions were aud then sbd destroyers showed up. one version came in a plastic case.

Berlin '80? maybe this is the last show (I think that's 1980-07-07).

I've got the really old books detailing all this stuff... if you could give me more info I'll look it up for you in the next couple days. It would be helpful to know a) what the covers look like, are they loose "slicks" or are they printed right on the sleeves, colour or b&w, b) what's on the record labels themselves, and c) all the matrix numbers (scratched in the runoff close to the centre of the record). each side should have a matrix #.

we should be able to identify them all. fwiw, I'm pretty sure that there are better quality and more complete versions of all of these shows circulating.
__________________
Checksums Demystified EAC Config MakeTorrent WinAmp Config

Modern social theory casts a highly skeptical eye on any declaration that a group of persons is without conflict, and insists, on the contrary, that conflict is natural to groups, and even more, is essential to them. -Patrick Henry
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #11  
Old 2005-09-23, 04:22 AM
alg alg is offline
106.37 GB/57.87 GB/0.54
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Re: Vinyl analogue to FLAC transfers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five
which Badge Holders? the one with Jimmy on the front or the one with Robert or do you have both? They were sold separately. I believe the original was the dragonfly pressing, with a pic of a dragonfly printed on the centre of the records themselves. the 2nd pressing had plain white no dragonfly as I recall, but I'll have to look that up.

there are a lot of versions of Destroyer, it was Clevland '77 the earlier versions were aud then sbd destroyers showed up. one version came in a plastic case.

Berlin '80? maybe this is the last show (I think that's 1980-07-07).

I've got the really old books detailing all this stuff... if you could give me more info I'll look it up for you in the next couple days. It would be helpful to know a) what the covers look like, are they loose "slicks" or are they printed right on the sleeves, colour or b&w, b) what's on the record labels themselves, and c) all the matrix numbers (scratched in the runoff close to the centre of the record). each side should have a matrix #.

we should be able to identify them all. fwiw, I'm pretty sure that there are better quality and more complete versions of all of these shows circulating.
Thanks for that I will get the details this W/E. All my old books are in the parents attic.
Badge holders JP twin neck b/w on blue background. 2 LP in single card sleeve loose 'slicks' no dragonfly AFAIK
Destroyer 4 LP boxed set JP on stars/stripes effect background two tone mauve/blue no labels on records cannot check runoff details at work card track listing inside refers to made in USA thanks to Bonzo etc
1980 one sepia tone 'zeppelin going down' gatefold printed on card
1980 one yellow cover with pics of band swissair on LP labels printed on card

That is from memory. I will post more this W/E
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #12  
Old 2005-09-23, 12:09 PM
Five's Avatar
Five Five is offline
TTD Staff
186.65 GB/588.32 GB/3.15
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Canada
Re: Vinyl analogue to FLAC transfers

cool

I'll grab my books and see what I can find (I'm at work right now)

post up more info when you get the chance

also check what mustardpie is posting over at royal-orleans
__________________
Checksums Demystified EAC Config MakeTorrent WinAmp Config

Modern social theory casts a highly skeptical eye on any declaration that a group of persons is without conflict, and insists, on the contrary, that conflict is natural to groups, and even more, is essential to them. -Patrick Henry
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #13  
Old 2005-09-23, 02:44 PM
alg alg is offline
106.37 GB/57.87 GB/0.54
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Re: Vinyl analogue to FLAC transfers

More details as promised

Zeppelin over Europe 'eye thank yew' yellow printed front cover pics from 1980 tour of all band members
back cover b/w knebworth pics D.HIP 001 top R corner copyright happy hippo records miami japan (sic)
1 NFBM 2 BD 3 ITE 4RS 5HD 6AML 7TUF 8SIBLY 9ALS 10WS 11 KASH 12STH 13RR 14HB
Labels ii records swissair run out ZZYZX030/D 2 lp ONE SLEEVE

ZOSO 80 ? title 1980 TOUR NO OBVIOUS TITLE SEPIA TONE GATEFOLD pepso france run out ZM-278-ABCD made in france
1BD 2ITE 3RS 4 HD 5AML 6TUF 7SIBLY 8ALS 9WS 10KASH 11STH 12RR 13WLL

I have not played these for years but I am sure one or both kick off with Train kept even tho not listed

FBHO part 1 original masters reissue series 1981 sh-human vinyloids an oleg kirov presentation no label on disc run off BHI-SIDE 1 ETC
1 SA 2HFBM 3OTHAFA 4SIBLY 5TYG 6TBFE 7GTC 8BMS 9KASH 10TUF 11STH 12 WLL 13 RR WITH KEITH MOON

DESTROYER DRGM505 STEREO MADE IN USA DRGM505 run out
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #14  
Old 2005-09-24, 03:25 PM
range_hood's Avatar
range_hood range_hood is offline
lsmf
11.44 GB/10.00 GB/0.87
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Re: Vinyl analogue to FLAC transfers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
[...]i'd give the vinyl a good cleaning or two before hand, [...]

to me this is essential, manual pop/click remolval (if itīs caused by dirt) is always better beforehand.
what method do you use? I use Holgers "cheap thrill".
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #15  
Old 2005-09-24, 03:30 PM
Five's Avatar
Five Five is offline
TTD Staff
186.65 GB/588.32 GB/3.15
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Canada
Re: Vinyl analogue to FLAC transfers

Quote:
Originally Posted by alg
More details as promised

Zeppelin over Europe 'eye thank yew' yellow printed front cover pics from 1980 tour of all band members
back cover b/w knebworth pics D.HIP 001 top R corner copyright happy hippo records miami japan (sic)
1 NFBM 2 BD 3 ITE 4RS 5HD 6AML 7TUF 8SIBLY 9ALS 10WS 11 KASH 12STH 13RR 14HB
Labels ii records swissair run out ZZYZX030/D 2 lp ONE SLEEVE

ZOSO 80 ? title 1980 TOUR NO OBVIOUS TITLE SEPIA TONE GATEFOLD pepso france run out ZM-278-ABCD made in france
1BD 2ITE 3RS 4 HD 5AML 6TUF 7SIBLY 8ALS 9WS 10KASH 11STH 12RR 13WLL

I have not played these for years but I am sure one or both kick off with Train kept even tho not listed

FBHO part 1 original masters reissue series 1981 sh-human vinyloids an oleg kirov presentation no label on disc run off BHI-SIDE 1 ETC
1 SA 2HFBM 3OTHAFA 4SIBLY 5TYG 6TBFE 7GTC 8BMS 9KASH 10TUF 11STH 12 WLL 13 RR WITH KEITH MOON

DESTROYER DRGM505 STEREO MADE IN USA DRGM505 run out
I haven't got the books with me right here (I'm at my gf's house right now) but I flipped thru them yesterday and believe I have all the information necessary to identify these for you. I'll post back in the next few days stay tuned.
__________________
Checksums Demystified EAC Config MakeTorrent WinAmp Config

Modern social theory casts a highly skeptical eye on any declaration that a group of persons is without conflict, and insists, on the contrary, that conflict is natural to groups, and even more, is essential to them. -Patrick Henry
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Reply

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Similar Threads
Thread Forum Replies Last Post
VHS transfers...... - terapinfly Technobabble 0 2009-05-27 09:16 PM
Vinyl transfers - weedwacker Technobabble 2 2007-06-29 08:16 AM
transfers from hi-fi vhs tape - Steviebone Technobabble 4 2005-05-11 09:02 AM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forums


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - , TheTradersDen.org - All Rights Reserved - Hosted at QuickPacket
no new posts