The Traders' Den  

  The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble
 

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 2012-10-04, 07:28 PM
newmillenium newmillenium is offline
3.83 GB/40.00 GB/10.44
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: RI
Torrent added to utorrent - redownloading?

Right, so I downloaded a torrent from Dime A Dozen on one computer -> zipped it -> moved to another computer -> unzipped it -> downloaded the torrent from dime again -> added it back to utorrent, pointing it to the directory with the downloaded files.

Instead of checking at 100%, it checked to 86% or so and started redownloading the other 14%. What gives? I was seeding before I zipped the files and transferred them. Why would they be any different?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #2  
Old 2012-10-04, 08:27 PM
Audioarchivist's Avatar
Audioarchivist Audioarchivist is offline
Recording/Mastering Engineer
560.16 GB/1.94 TB/3.54
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Re: Torrent added to utorrent - redownloading?

I would use the checksum file to actually verify that your process of zipping and unzipping the files didn't damage them or corrupt them or alter them. Perhaps making "new" files with the zip / unzip process changed the dates of the files and they weren't exactly the same as the originals anymore? Dates, headers, I dunno, but something obviously was changed when you compressed and uncompressed them...

At least you didn't have to re-download the entire fileset a second time - it gave you credit for having a big portion of them already.

Why the zip / unzip extra step anyway? Couldn't you just copy the whole folder the files are in to transfer them to the second computer?
__________________
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
- Dr. Hunter S. Thompson (1937-2005)
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #3  
Old 2012-10-04, 08:35 PM
Unidecker's Avatar
Unidecker Unidecker is offline
TTD VIP
2.28 TB/31.75 TB/13.91
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: right here ..where you are.
Re: Torrent added to utorrent - redownloading?

also sometimes files are different on dime as they are officially released tracks and or have been removed to avoid a copyright ... just a heads up ..
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #4  
Old 2012-10-04, 09:05 PM
newmillenium newmillenium is offline
3.83 GB/40.00 GB/10.44
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: RI
Re: Torrent added to utorrent - redownloading?

Ironically, I had zipped them because I was moving from a linux machine to XP and I DIDN'T want to corrupt the files... lol

I finished redownloading them, and they verified perfectly against the md5 file again... weird...

Thanks for the replies, guys
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #5  
Old 2012-10-06, 07:57 PM
Audioarchivist's Avatar
Audioarchivist Audioarchivist is offline
Recording/Mastering Engineer
560.16 GB/1.94 TB/3.54
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Re: Torrent added to utorrent - redownloading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unidecker View Post
also sometimes files are different on dime as they are officially released tracks and or have been removed to avoid a copyright ... just a heads up ..
No, he said he downloaded them from Dime, and moved them to another computer to try and continue seeding them on Dime. The files shouldn't have changed (but they did)...
__________________
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
- Dr. Hunter S. Thompson (1937-2005)
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Reply

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Similar Threads
Thread Forum Replies Last Post
uTorrent telling me my own torrent unavailable?! Huh? - mojofilter02 Technobabble 2 2009-02-15 03:17 PM
new shows added - SRC Snail Mail Trading 3 2008-03-01 04:22 AM
new shows added - SRC Snail Mail Trading 1 2007-07-07 12:35 AM
How Do You make A Torrent File using UTORRENT? - Nitro89 Technobabble 11 2007-04-13 07:31 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forums


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - , TheTradersDen.org - All Rights Reserved - Hosted at QuickPacket
no new posts