The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Home Forums FAQ Register Members List

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2023-11-15, 04:23 PM
Same as it ever was
329.00 GB/421.79 GB/1.28

Where is a good place to share/post boot remasters?

Not sure where to go for this...I've posted a couple at Guitars101 and got banned, first time was because the original boot had a minor profanity in the title (who knew music fans were such prudes?), and then again today with no explanation whatsoever, so I've given up on them.

Posted one here, but it had "insufficient lineage" despite copying and pasting the original info below my remaster notes, with of course no chance to edit or tweak the post, just straight to the delete bin.

So, where to go? I'm really enjoying working on these shows and I'd like to share with others...I understand the need for some rules, but also don't understand making it difficult for people to post recordings when the user could simply download a sample track before grabbing the whole show and chewing up ratio.

I have set up a blog to archive them more permanently, but I won't post it let I get suspended for 'blog promotion' or something here.

Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2023-11-16, 02:33 PM
1.99 TB/1.77 TB/0.89

Re: Where is a good place to share/post boot remasters?

It appears your uploads here were banned because you did not provide acceptable lineage.

From the audio torrent upload FAQ:
Quote:
8. All seeds must include a complete and accurate lineage, indicating what formats and media the audio has previously used.
This is extremely important. Any seed without complete lineage included will be deleted from our tracker. Any seed with inaccurate lineage will be deleted from our tracker. We prefer to have seeds that are only from Silver-pressed bootleg CDs or from original master recordings over ones that have been through multiple CDR generations. There are some items where this stipulation is impossible, and special exceptions can be made for CDR sourced material provided that it verifies as lossless, gapless, and digitally clean. You must include every bit of information you know in the lineage or your seed will be deleted. If your show is from a CDR, you MUST include the number of generations or write CDRx if unknown.

Starting June 1, 2009, if a show is dated after January 1, 2005, it MUST have complete and accurate lineage. There is really no reason for a show taped in the last couple of years to not have this info. In other words, unknown gen CDR > EAC > wav > flac type of lineage will no longer be allowed for shows taped after that date. (If you have questions about a particular show, please PM a Moderator.)

Here are some examples of legal lineages:

AUD > ? > Silver bootleg CD > EAC > WAV > Flac Frontend > FLAC (lvl 7, SBE aligned)
SBD > Sony DAT > PC Digital Coax Input > WAV > CDWav > APE
FM > ? > CDRx (verified digitally clean) > iTunes (with error correction) > AIFF > xACT > FLAC

Here are some examples of illegal lineages that will result in your seed being deleted:

Audience (this is a completely useless, infoless lineage)
AUD > Silver CD > CDR > EAC > WAV > FLAC (no Silver CD > CDR transitions allowed!)
SBD > Sony DAT > PC Digital Coax Input > WAV > CDWav > APE > WAV > CDR(1) > EAC > WAV > FLAC (no lossless file > CDR > lossless file)
SBD > ? > CDR > EAC > WAV > FLAC (please include the CDR gen!)
Silver CD > WAV > FLAC (extraction software MUST be specified)
AUD > DAT > MD > Digital Optical Soundcard Input > WAV > FLAC (no DAT > MD, see rule 11)
AUD > MD(M) > MD(1) > WAV > FLAC (only MD sources/masters are allowed; again, see rule 11)
Old 2023-11-16, 03:08 PM
643.51 GB/2.72 TB/4.33

Remasters are generally not allowed unless by permission. I know an old JA tape from a bootleg CD is a different story though.
Problem seems to be that the original torrent didn’t have proper lineage, and just because it slipped through the cracks doesn’t mean the new and maybe improved version is any different
Definitely some hypocrisy at times here but at least we’re trying I guess
Old 2023-11-17, 12:59 PM
Same as it ever was
329.00 GB/421.79 GB/1.28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeifH12345 View Post
Remasters are generally not allowed unless by permission. I know an old JA tape from a bootleg CD is a different story though.
Problem seems to be that the original torrent didn’t have proper lineage, and just because it slipped through the cracks doesn’t mean the new and maybe improved version is any different
Definitely some hypocrisy at times here but at least we’re trying I guess
I get that, but I dunno...feels like the rules could use some moderation. Like, let people see if it's improved or not.

I get why it exists...if a new tape comes out and a bunch of people all post their own versions of it, it can get messy. But decades-old tapes that one rando decided to work on seems pretty harmless and unlikely to cause clutter. There's just a lot of professional-grade tools we have now that we we didn't have even ten years ago, and it's a fun hobby. Just want to share with those who may be interested, that's all.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble