The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-08-18, 08:25 PM
capitals of tin
593.11 GB/595.50 GB/1.00

router question

i just got a new laptop for upstairs. i have the desktop downstairs..anyway, is there a way to set up proper port forwarding for both computers. is there some trick to it? im sorry im being too general here, but lets see where this goes
Old 2006-08-18, 08:39 PM
505.91 GB/533.29 GB/1.05

Re: router question

just follow the directions on portforward.com for each machine. Follow the steps correctly and everything should work
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-08-18, 08:48 PM
capitals of tin
593.11 GB/595.50 GB/1.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisistoto
just follow the directions on portforward.com for each machine. Follow the steps correctly and everything should work
oh i already did. it just seems i cant get both systems to run proper port forwards at the same time
im going to mess around with it some more. thanks though jon
Old 2006-08-18, 09:22 PM
capitals of tin
593.11 GB/595.50 GB/1.00

i think ive got it straight. with two computers, you obviously have two static IPs. i had them both set up to port foward thru the same ports. and from what ive read, you cannot do that. so im just going to run differnt ports or maybe different clients
Old 2006-08-18, 10:03 PM
capitals of tin
593.11 GB/595.50 GB/1.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by rents
i think ive got it straight. with two computers, you obviously have two static IPs. i had them both set up to port foward thru the same ports. and from what ive read, you cannot do that. so im just going to run differnt ports or maybe different clients
this still isnt working correctly. anyone else do this at home? two PCs running off the same router and have them runninng torrents with proper port forward?
Old 2006-08-19, 12:02 AM
505.91 GB/533.29 GB/1.05

i have it with two pc's and a mac. You have to make sure you have Static IP's. Are you sure you have Windows XP Firewall forwarded? what torrent program are you using? Make sure you have Upnp turned off. Are you sure you have the right DNS #'s?

Most likely you didnt forward XP firewall, or norton, or whatever you are using.

Did you also try to restart the machines after you were done forwarding?
Old 2006-08-19, 01:02 AM
capitals of tin
593.11 GB/595.50 GB/1.00

Quote:
i have it with two pc's and a mac. You have to make sure you have Static IP's. Are you sure you have Windows XP Firewall forwarded? what torrent program are you using? Make sure you have Upnp turned off. Are you sure you have the right DNS #'s?

Most likely you didnt forward XP firewall, or norton, or whatever you are using.

Did you also try to restart the machines after you were done forwarding?
with your three PCs, do you get good/similar speeds on each? i seem to have it working now, but the speeds arent the same as when I just had the desktop.
ill have to double check my windows xp firewall. im using BitTorando. Upnp is turned off...im drawing a blank on DNS? what is that? sorry, if im sounding dumb.
and then heres how dumb i really am. i didnt bother to restart after configuring everything
Old 2006-08-19, 04:17 PM
505.91 GB/533.29 GB/1.05

if you have it all working now, then you are set.

as far as speeds go, of course you will have a decrease if both machines are accessing the internet (via just browsing, downloading, or using BitTornado) as you are now sharing your one connection with two machines. But your speeds shouldnt be decreased if just one machine is accessing the internet.

And you should really get rid of BitTornado, download uTorrent.
Old 2006-08-19, 07:12 PM
capitals of tin
593.11 GB/595.50 GB/1.00

Quote:
if you have it all working now, then you are set.

as far as speeds go, of course you will have a decrease if both machines are accessing the internet (via just browsing, downloading, or using BitTornado) as you are now sharing your one connection with two machines. But your speeds shouldnt be decreased if just one machine is accessing the internet.

And you should really get rid of BitTornado, download uTorrent.
i do use uTorrent sometimes, ive been thinkning about making a switch for good. and yes, things seem to be running ok now. although the only problem i have is when my laptop shuts down after being left idle, the torrents stop and the torrents im running on the desktop stop too...strange..
but thanks again toto
Old 2006-08-20, 02:07 PM
505.91 GB/533.29 GB/1.05

Quote:
i do use uTorrent sometimes, ive been thinkning about making a switch for good. and yes, things seem to be running ok now. although the only problem i have is when my laptop shuts down after being left idle, the torrents stop and the torrents im running on the desktop stop too...strange..
but thanks again toto

thats the only thing about laptops and torrrents. I stopped using torrents on my laptop because I hate keeeping it on 24/7. I dont see why the torrents on the desktop would stop, thats odd.
Old 2006-08-20, 03:27 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Quote:
the only problem i have is when my laptop shuts down after being left idle, the torrents stop and the torrents im running on the desktop stop too...strange..
but thanks again toto
Hi -- if I may add 2 cents...

-on each computer you need to enter a different port (in the torrent client software)
- and forward that port number (in the router) the the respective internal IP of each computer of your "network".

It sounds as if you have multiple workstations running the same software with the same port opened and forward - this would confuse the router where to send the packets of information (the problem you mentioned above).

-for each workstation select a different port number
-open and forward each unique port number to each internal IP (computer) in the router.
Old 2006-08-20, 09:16 PM
capitals of tin
593.11 GB/595.50 GB/1.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf-pgh
Hi -- if I may add 2 cents...

-on each computer you need to enter a different port (in the torrent client software)
- and forward that port number (in the router) the the respective internal IP of each computer of your "network".

It sounds as if you have multiple workstations running the same software with the same port opened and forward - this would confuse the router where to send the packets of information (the problem you mentioned above).

-for each workstation select a different port number
-open and forward each unique port number to each internal IP (computer) in the router.
oh yeah, ive got that all figured out. doesnt it all seem so simple as soon as you figure out whats going on? sometimes embarrasing
but thanks for your imput anyway direwolf...nice to see another 'burgh resident around

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble