The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Home Forums FAQ Register Members List

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2022-11-12, 06:04 AM
TTD Administrator
TTD Staff
3.65 TB/8.38 TB/2.30

rescinded: Session timeout changed to 80 hours, Who's Online turned off

The default was 900 seconds (15 minutes) before you are signed out automatically. I can't stand timeout settings this low and I suspect some users find it frustrating especially when creating a thread or composing a reply. I have changed it to 288000 seconds (80 hours).

A side effect is that this setting also controls the users shown in "Who's Online". I have disabled that, which doesn't really add much value IMO and is a drain on limited server resources (there will be more users here soon). Please read the following thread:

https://forum.vbulletin.com/forum/vb...oad-difference

There may be other issues related to this change which I'll deal with if they happen.

xavier242

Last edited by xavier242; 2022-12-26 at 01:33 PM. Reason: changed title
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2022-11-12, 07:02 AM
Independent collector
68.03 GB/677.00 GB/9.95

Re: Session timeout changed to 80 hours, Who's Online turned off

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier242 View Post
The default was 900 seconds (15 minutes) before you are signed out automatically. I can't stand timeout settings this low and I suspect most users find it frustrating especially when creating a thread or composing a reply. I have changed it to 288000 seconds (80 hours).

The side effect is that this setting also controls the number of users shown in "Who's Online". I have disabled that list, which doesn't really add much value and is a drain on server resources.

There may be other issues related to this change which I'll deal with if they happen.

xavier242
Thanks Brad -
I hear ya about timeout situations. Where I work, the Incident/Problem/Change system times out after a too short period, leading to articulate descriptions and responses being reduced to terse versions of themselves, due to apathy caused by frustration.

However, the action here seems to have also disabled "Who's viewing this thread/topic/whatever", and perhaps the list of Admins and Mods as well? I may be mistaken about the list, but it seems like I can't find it now.

Old 2022-11-12, 08:11 AM
TTD Administrator
TTD Staff
3.65 TB/8.38 TB/2.30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeboy View Post
... However, the action here seems to have also disabled "Who's viewing this thread/topic/whatever", and perhaps the list of Admins and Mods as well? I may be mistaken about the list, but it seems like I can't find it now.
I have disabled the Who's Online lists as they use the session timeout to generate the list. If I don't disable the lists, they'll grow to some huge size (it's actually recommended to disable them on large sites which this site may become in the near future).

The Moderators list is still there in the forums (not each thread). The Admins aren't listed by design. Admins want folks to contact Mods for issues. There is a link at the bottom of each page with the Admin contact info in case someone really does need to contact the Admin.

xavier242
Old 2022-11-12, 01:26 PM
Independent collector
68.03 GB/677.00 GB/9.95

This is the Mod/Admin link I was thinking of:
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showgroups.php?

Old 2022-11-12, 04:13 PM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
The side effect is that this setting also controls the number of users shown in "Who's Online". I have disabled that list, which doesn't really add much value and is a drain on server resources.
Quote:
I have disabled the Who's Online lists as they use the session timeout to generate the list. If I don't disable the lists, they'll grow to some huge size (it's actually recommended to disable them on large sites which this site may become in the near future).
Old 2022-11-13, 02:26 AM
Damned
153.36 GB/1.23 TB/8.21

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:
Quote:
The default was 900 seconds (15 minutes) before you are signed out automatically. I can't stand timeout settings this low and I suspect most users find it frustrating especially when creating a thread or composing a reply. I have changed it to 288000 seconds (80 hours).

[...]
900 seconds time-out will never log you out if you tick "keep me logged in" like box on logon screen. That's the way it works on vBulletin. It will, however, log you off from your admin/mod privileges (any action taken in admincp/modcp would require additional login attempt) but will not log off from general user's privileges. With all due respect, I'd rather still have 15 minutes session and "who's online" enabled.
Old 2022-11-13, 08:42 AM
TTD Administrator
TTD Staff
3.65 TB/8.38 TB/2.30

Quote:
Originally Posted by joujoujou View Post
With all due respect, I'd rather still have 15 minutes session and "who's online" enabled.
https://forum.vbulletin.com/forum/vb...oad-difference

If you want to discuss this further please PM me.

xavier242
Old 2022-11-19, 12:43 AM
Damned
153.36 GB/1.23 TB/8.21

Sorry, why PM only? I understand your concerns regarding server load, I am however more than sure that session timeout won't log user off.

Just came back after 6 days of absence, and, surprise surprise! Did not have to log in! As usual.

Keep "who's online" off if it really makes a difference (I believe it does if link says so), but please, bring 900 sec session back.

Thank you.
Old 2022-12-26, 01:31 PM
TTD Administrator
TTD Staff
3.65 TB/8.38 TB/2.30

I researched it some more and there should be minimal load impact with all but the thread display re-enabled (who's currently reading this thread is still disabled). I changed the session timeout back as the features are interconnected. I'll have to watch what effect this has with browsing session timeouts and server load. The various threads say the browser cookie prevents you from being logged out, but I've seen that not work properly.

So the Who's Online feature is mostly restored.
Old 2022-12-26, 05:01 PM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: rescinded: Session timeout changed to 80 hours, Who's Online turned off

Old 2022-12-26, 05:51 PM
Independent collector
68.03 GB/677.00 GB/9.95

Old 2022-12-27, 05:37 AM
Damned
153.36 GB/1.23 TB/8.21

Quote:
[...] I changed the session timeout back as the features are interconnected. [...]

So the Who's Online feature is mostly restored.
Thanks for that, much appreciated.

Quote:
[...] The various threads say the browser cookie prevents you from being logged out, but I've seen that not work properly. [...]
From my own experience - improper work is mostly related to individual browser's settings/add-ons/cookie handling behaviour, so it may affect just a few users who have their browsers highly modified and/or inappropriately set up. In most of such cases clering cache + cookies would solve the issue, rarely reset to default settings as well.

Personally, for browsing TTD (and other sites) I use 2 browsers: highly modified Firefox and not-so-highly modified Opera. Neither of them ever logged me out at the end of the session. Just saying.
Old 2023-01-02, 11:17 PM
Number 5
7.24 TB/57.56 TB/7.95

Did something change? I have had to sign in twice this evening, even with the 'sign me out after 15 minutes' unchecked....Not the end of the world, but it always makes me suspicious....
Old 2023-01-11, 10:55 AM
1.19 TB/89.20 TB/74.67

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11223344 View Post
Did something change? I have had to sign in twice this evening, even with the 'sign me out after 15 minutes' unchecked....Not the end of the world, but it always makes me suspicious....
Same issue here. I get logged out after a couple of minutes of activity.

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...rents&u=413899
Old 2023-01-12, 09:23 PM
Greedy Corporation
TTD Staff
73.48 GB/423.76 GB/5.77

Quote:
The default was 900 seconds (15 minutes) before you are signed out automatically. I can't stand timeout settings this low and I suspect some users find it frustrating especially when creating a thread or composing a reply. I have changed it to 288000 seconds (80 hours).
I was never aware this even existed. I never log off and the system certainly doesn't sign me out automatically after 15 minutes. Maybe every several weeks.

Am I misunderstanding what this issue is?

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions