The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Home Forums FAQ Register Members List

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2022-11-02, 06:32 AM
503.13 GB/7.75 TB/15.76

Why were these uploads flagged?

I received a notification that there is something wrong with the subscript uploads...but I can't find any information about why there is a problem - ?

Should it not be listed as "HD," since its current .MKV format ultimately comes from a VIDEO_TS source? Or is it something else?

I've just started the process of converting my VIDEO_TS sources to .MKV files = much easier to view & of a higher quality. And I'd like to continue to share them here...if it is allowed - ?

Thanks, in advance, for any guidance here!

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...d.php?t=184698

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...d.php?t=184697
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2022-11-02, 07:42 AM
Suicidal For Life
1.38 TB/14.95 TB/10.80

Re: Why were these uploads flagged?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrinus View Post
Should it not be listed as "HD," since its current .MKV format ultimately comes from a VIDEO_TS source? Or is it something else?
Although I'm no expert at this I think you've just answered your own question. To me that sounds like converting mp3 to FLAC and calling it lossless.
Originally Posted by Freezer
I heard obama was an inexperienced, terrible administrator who likely could never hack it in the private sector.
So you are like the Obama of TTD?
Old 2022-11-02, 04:40 PM
503.13 GB/7.75 TB/15.76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappy View Post
Although I'm no expert at this I think you've just answered your own question. To me that sounds like converting mp3 to FLAC and calling it lossless.
Thanks for responding!

Well, if that's the case, it's silly to me.

For this MKV process renders the .mp4 files into (relatively) crystal-clear pictures: both smaller-in-image & larger-in-file-size.

Further, I took a quick gander at my previous HD-Video uploads, none of which has .mp4 in its lineage (rather, they often list "HD cable")...and they all have the detail "Compression mode: Lossy" = the exact same thing as these two, apparently objectionable, uploads have.

At LL, member "kevtobin" (also a member here) recently wrote something along these lines: that .mkv seems to be the new/most useful way to present videos. So, I am following what I understood to be his lead in this matter.
Old 2022-11-02, 05:52 PM
643.51 GB/2.72 TB/4.33

If I understand what you’re saying:
You needlessly reencoded a dvd to an mkv, effectively bloating the original fileset

I get the preference for a single file but that’s like upsampling an mp3 to 24bit flac. There’s no need for that, it’s not going to improve the quality and more likely will just degrade it.
MP4s are not permitted here at this time. It is just a container but thems the rules.
Old 2022-11-02, 06:45 PM
Independent collector
68.03 GB/677.00 GB/9.95

If you want a different container, lookup "remux" to preserve the original encoding.

Old 2022-11-02, 06:56 PM
503.13 GB/7.75 TB/15.76

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeifH12345 View Post
If I understand what you’re saying:
You needlessly reencoded a dvd to an mkv, effectively bloating the original fileset

I get the preference for a single file but that’s like upsampling an mp3 to 24bit flac. There’s no need for that, it’s not going to improve the quality and more likely will just degrade it.
MP4s are not permitted here at this time. It is just a container but thems the rules.
Thanks for this response! I appreciate your taking the time to write.

These two uploads should be pulled, then.
Old 2022-11-02, 06:57 PM
503.13 GB/7.75 TB/15.76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeboy View Post
If you want a different container, lookup "remux" to preserve the original encoding.
Thanks for this suggestion!
Old 2022-11-03, 04:48 PM
503.13 GB/7.75 TB/15.76

While (i) I am thankful for everyone's guidance in this matter and (ii) I will continue to follow the rules here to the best of my ability, I will nonetheless take this opportunity to declare my iconoclasm....

In both collecting & sharing, I am interested in only two things - and in this order:

1. Has the performance/its parts been officially released? If so, it should neither be collected nor shared.

2. Does an "unofficial" recording have great aural/visual quality?

If something checks off both of these criteria, I am for it. I do not care about lineage. And, to my eyes, the .mkv versions of these videos look a lot better than the original VIDEO_TS versions.
Old 2022-11-03, 08:04 PM
TTD Administrator
TTD Staff
3.65 TB/8.38 TB/2.30

Quote:
If something checks off both of these criteria, I am for it. I do not care about lineage. And, to my eyes, the .mkv versions of these videos look a lot better than the original VIDEO_TS versions.
Here's the lineage for your uploads:
Aerosmith 2012-09-22 Las Vegas, NV (PRO_HD)
Pro-shot video > ? > DVD-R (with individual data folders) > VIDEO_TS extracted via HandBrake 1.5.1 as 832p .mp4 > DivX Converter 10.8.9 > .mkv

Aerosmith 2012-11-05 Boston, MA (PRO_HD
Pro-shot video > ? > DVD-R (with individual data folders) > VIDEO_TS extracted via HandBrake 1.5.1 as 632p .mp4 > DivX Converter 10.8.9 > .mkv

Based on that, it shows you have done a LOSSY re-compression from a container having MPEG2 files to DivX. Lossy re-compressions are not allowed as they cause a quality loss.

Possible future exception:
Topaz VEAI and possibly other upscales and restorations will be allowed at some point in the future through a careful vetting process as to who is qualified. Maybe by next summer I'll have the process guidelines completed. It's very complex as only one version of VEAI with specific json mods (v2.3) works properly most of the time (some older versions also work ok with certain content). All versions after 2.3 produce oversharpened output.

I'll download one of your vids and take a peek with my eyes and Mediainfo.

Normally DVD is left as a VOB or converted to a MPEG2 MKV (a remux, which by definition is lossless). You can create one big VOB with DVD Decrypter.

xavier242
Old 2022-11-03, 08:10 PM
TTD Administrator
TTD Staff
3.65 TB/8.38 TB/2.30

Ok looks like one of the moderators just pulled your uploads.

You can use DVD Decrypter or MakeMKV to create lossless rips of your DVDs.

DVD sources are not HD. They're 480 to 576 vertical pixels max. 720 vertical pixels or higher is HighDef.

Topaz VEAI can take DVD to HD if you know what you are doing (sadly most folks don't).

xavier242
Old 2022-11-03, 08:17 PM
503.13 GB/7.75 TB/15.76

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier242 View Post
Here's the lineage for your uploads:
Aerosmith 2012-09-22 Las Vegas, NV (PRO_HD)
Pro-shot video > ? > DVD-R (with individual data folders) > VIDEO_TS extracted via HandBrake 1.5.1 as 832p .mp4 > DivX Converter 10.8.9 > .mkv

Aerosmith 2012-11-05 Boston, MA (PRO_HD
Pro-shot video > ? > DVD-R (with individual data folders) > VIDEO_TS extracted via HandBrake 1.5.1 as 632p .mp4 > DivX Converter 10.8.9 > .mkv

Based on that, it shows you have done a LOSSY re-compression from a container having MPEG2 files to DivX. Lossy re-compressions are not allowed as they cause a quality loss.

Possible future exception:
Topaz VEAI and possibly other upscales and restorations will be allowed at some point in the future through a careful vetting process as to who is qualified. Maybe by next summer I'll have the process guidelines completed. It's very complex as only one version of VEAI with specific json mods (v2.3) works properly most of the time (some older versions also work ok with certain content). All versions after 2.3 produce oversharpened output.

I'll download one of your vids and take a peek with my eyes and Mediainfo.

Normally DVD is left as a VOB or converted to a MPEG2 MKV (a remux, which by definition is lossless). You can create one big VOB with DVD Decrypter.

xavier242
Thanks very much for taking the time to offer these insights! I'm curious as to your conclusions about the video quality. And I had copied-and-pasted the Mediainfo stats in my original posts.

I tried to follow the suggestion to use remux...but both of my Macs wouldn't allow me to DL it, since it is not available via the Apple Store. Frustrating!

...with regard to Mediainfo stats: I started using it after "dandrew" helpfully suggested it some time ago. And I know that the vast majority - if not all - of my previous VIDEO_TS DVD uploads mentioned "Compression: Lossy."
Old 2022-11-03, 09:04 PM
TTD Administrator
TTD Staff
3.65 TB/8.38 TB/2.30

Quote:
I tried to follow the suggestion to use remux...but both of my Macs wouldn't allow me to DL it, since it is not available via the Apple Store. Frustrating!

...with regard to Mediainfo stats: I started using it after "dandrew" helpfully suggested it some time ago. And I know that the vast majority - if not all - of my previous VIDEO_TS DVD uploads mentioned "Compression: Lossy."
Any Mac video experts here? I'm sure there's a Mac equivalent to MakeMKV and DVDDecrypter. You may have to research this yourself (please post the names of what tools you find). The usual forums to search: videohelp, doom9, and digitalfaq.

DVDs use MPEG2 video compression which is lossy. The goal is to have that be the only lossy compression done, thus why you need a tool that can rip and remux (not re-compress).
Old 2022-11-03, 10:28 PM
Independent collector
68.03 GB/677.00 GB/9.95

https://ffmpeg.org/download.html
Or specifically:
https://ffmpeg.org/download.html#build-mac

Old 2022-11-04, 12:26 AM
Champion of the Silent
TTD VIP
727.47 GB/6.99 TB/9.84

Quote:
While (i) I am thankful for everyone's guidance in this matter and (ii) I will continue to follow the rules here to the best of my ability, I will nonetheless take this opportunity to declare my iconoclasm....

In both collecting & sharing, I am interested in only two things - and in this order:

1. Has the performance/its parts been officially released? If so, it should neither be collected nor shared.

2. Does an "unofficial" recording have great aural/visual quality?

Lots of people don't hear the difference between MP3s and WAV. So should we allow them here? I think not!
Old 2022-11-04, 05:51 AM
503.13 GB/7.75 TB/15.76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeboy View Post
Thanks very much for these links!

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble