The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2021-01-14, 11:07 PM
132.91 GB/159.06 GB/1.20

Question I'm out of the loop: If not DVD's, what are you using to watch/stream videos?

Hi everyone,

Due to some life circumstances I was away from the torrent world for a number of years - when I left there was still smoke coming out of my DVD burner from all of the shows I downloaded and burned to disc to watch on TV. So, I come back and I see that lots of people are "moving on" from physical media to the streaming realm.

My question is - how do you repackage your downloaded files into a format to stream? Or are you simply packaging files on a thumb drive? Honestly, I was using Toast to author and burn DVD's on my Mac when I left, and now I am clueless how this works!

The same for CD's? Now I see 24/96 vs 16/44.1 debates as well!

Thanks everyone, I hope my question is clear.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2021-01-15, 11:00 AM
1.99 TB/1.77 TB/0.89

Re: I'm out of the loop: If not DVD's, what are you using to watch/stream videos?

I'll admit to using a thumb drive although files in DVD format remind me of 8-track tapes with a slight gap when switching from 1 VOB file to the next.
Old 2021-01-16, 03:44 PM
Knee-Deep In The Hoopla...
161.07 GB/214.90 GB/1.33

Re: I'm out of the loop: If not DVD's, what are you using to watch/stream videos?

I still keep my DVD archive but I only add to it things that are super important to me - rares from bands I really, really love - everything else just remains for backup purposes and it's on external hard drives.

What I propose you do is use a program like imgburn to turn your dvd format .vob's into a .iso disc image - this allows you to burn them if you're so inclined, but otherwise VLC media player can actually just play .iso files as if they were DVDs. No gaps!

I liked your comment about smoke coming from your dvd burner. Mine literally just stopped being able to burn discs. able to read, but not write. oh well. guess my burning days are over.

Anyways, a fair warning - more recent imgburn versions have come with bloatware and PUP's - older versions are clean and work just fine and can be found here: https://www.videohelp.com/software/ImgBurn/old-versions

Check out my list here
Old 2021-01-17, 05:30 PM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

Downloaded audio files are mostly in FLAC format, anyway, so are ready to stream as is.

Put them in a logical folder structure, optionally tag them in a format that suits you, get a player and you're good to go.
Old 2021-01-18, 08:29 AM
Damned
153.35 GB/1.22 TB/8.14

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:
Whatever I want to watch/listen to, goes to portable hard drive, which is then plugged into a smart TV. And TV transfers sound to a 5.1 amplifier via optical cable.

I'm yet to figure out streaming straight from PC to TV via bluetooth, which is theoretically possible but despite my efforts - never actually worked.
Old 2021-01-19, 11:57 AM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

Quote:
Originally Posted by joujoujou View Post
Whatever I want to watch/listen to, goes to portable hard drive, which is then plugged into a smart TV. And TV transfers sound to a 5.1 amplifier via optical cable.
Why not get a device which will play back directly from the HDD and plug that device straight into the amp?

That way you could listen without having to keep the TV on
Old 2021-01-20, 08:56 AM
Damned
153.35 GB/1.22 TB/8.14

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRC View Post
Why not get a device which will play back directly from the HDD and plug that device straight into the amp?

That way you could listen without having to keep the TV on
I already have such a device - it's a TV.

Jokes aside - I had device doing so (a media player), but it landed in a shed. I've not enough HDMI inputs in an amplifier to keep connected everything I'd like to. And as a family we watch much more than listen (my music preferences are far away from the rest of the family), that's quite reasonable solution.
Old 2021-01-27, 06:47 AM
co9ol
303.62 GB/388.57 GB/1.28

I use MakeMKV and add them to my Plex library. I have a separate section just for concert films. Im also thinking of adding a separate section for the audio boots too.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble