The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Home Forums FAQ Register Members List

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2023-09-13, 11:51 PM
TTD Administrator
TTD Staff
3.65 TB/8.38 TB/2.30

internet outage affecting some downloads

I got a text from Datahound and he said his fiber ISP went down around 5pm GMT on Sept 12. His ISP can't get a tech to his place until Sept 18...
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2023-09-14, 06:03 PM
72.86 TB/109.41 TB/1.50

Re: internet outage affecting some downloads

This shouldn't be a problem.
I have automated reseeding enabled at the moment, so it should pick up any slack.

I scrape (up to) the first 8 pages of the "orphans" list once every hour between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. and automatically locate/reload any torrents in my archive (there's usually only 3-5 pages for me these days).
So if a torrent has 0 seeders and at least 1 leecher it will get restarted.

Looks like it has reloaded ~230 over the last 24 hours (that feels like a slight uptick).
~1TB of reseeds in the last month and ~5TB over the last 4 months since i set it up.
If the torrent matches any fileset i've downloaded from Etree/TTD/LL then it gets restarted (i dedupe exact matches across trackers to optimize storage capacity).

There are about 40-50 that consistently show up in the orphans list that i can't fill because i only restart 100% completed torrents (no reason to tease anyone with incompletes).
Most of these 40-50 i have less than 100%, for whatever reason, so they get blacklisted, the others who knows...

Over at LL i have automated reseeds set to a very strict idle timeout of 2 hours so they stop as quickly as possible (they have tracker capacity concerns so i honor that) but here i've just been letting them run after restart and every few days going in and stopping anything without recent activity. No need to announce torrents nobody's looking for or anything that is already being filled by others.

My general TTD settings are 2x share ratio or 48 hours idle timeout for new torrents before they get archived and moved to long term storage for automated reseeding.
That process usually happens overnight and within a week (thus the overnight pause in restarting reseeds while im rsyncing data around).

Bottom line, if you are looking for anything that has zero seeders, start it up and there's a fair chance you will get an automated fill
Old 2023-09-18, 07:00 PM
TTD Administrator
TTD Staff
3.65 TB/8.38 TB/2.30

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank carson View Post
This shouldn't be a problem.
I have automated reseeding enabled at the moment, so it should pick up any slack.

I scrape (up to) the first 8 pages of the "orphans" list once every hour between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. and automatically locate/reload any torrents in my archive (there's usually only 3-5 pages for me these days).
So if a torrent has 0 seeders and at least 1 leecher it will get restarted
Bottom line, if you are looking for anything that has zero seeders, start it up and there's a fair chance you will get an automated fill
Wow most impressive and thank you! I was thinking of creating a script for DH and others to do exactly what you have done with the orphans list. What language did you write it in?

It's good to use the orphans list for that as anything from torrents.php now excludes non-connectable (firewalled) seeders. I changed the code in torrents.php around Jan 2023. It's not perfect as some firewalled seeders are not firewalled to some others depending on their location. But it's the best metric we have at this time to tell if a torrent needs a seeder.

DH told me his fiber cable became unburied in a spot and the lawnmower chopped it... hopefully they buried the new cable a bit deeper.
Old 2023-09-24, 06:31 AM
Damned
153.36 GB/1.23 TB/8.21

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:
Related or not, have no clue. Just spotted this a moment ago:

wtf.png

Hint: Avg/Max Progress column.
Old 2023-09-24, 03:03 PM
27.53 TB/46.04 TB/1.67

Quote:
Originally Posted by joujoujou View Post
Hint: Avg/Max Progress column.
It's been doing that for a few months. xavier242 said it's probably a bug in torrents.php. Unless it's affecting someone's download, it's probably a low priority.
DH

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble