The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Home Forums FAQ Register Members List

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2024-02-11, 03:49 PM
TTD Administrator
TTD Staff
3.65 TB/8.38 TB/2.30

Torrent data maximum path length is 247 characters

Effective immediately, I and the Moderators will be pulling any torrents that exceed 247 characters in the path length.

Why is this necessary?
Windows maximum path length is 260 characters. This including any slashes, colon, folder names, and drive letter. There are several torrents here that exceed this. Anyone using a Windows OS, bittorrent program, or media player not supporting >260 characters will not be able to download and/or playback your files.

Folks seeding from older OSes will not be able to seed these. For privacy reasons, folks sometimes choose Windows 7 to seed from as it can be made free of Microsoft spyware updates (unlike Windows 10 or newer).

Why 247 characters?
D:\Downloads\

That's 13 characters. 260 minus 13 equals 247.

To make your post compliant, often just your .txt file needs to be renamed to info.txt.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2024-02-11, 05:06 PM
643.51 GB/2.72 TB/4.33

Re: Torrent data maximum path length is 247 characters

I experienced this many years ago after a friend burned some data dvds for me with extremely long, descriptive folder titles. The disc burned ok, but then I could never read the contents of the folders.
Old 2024-02-11, 05:25 PM
Recording/Mastering Engineer
784.11 GB/3.89 TB/5.08

Question Re: Torrent data maximum path length is 247 characters

Will the posters of torrents that are being deleted get a heads up that their torrents are faulty and being pulled, so they can correct the problem and re-share them as compliant? That would be helpful, rather than just having some stuff disappear with no idea that there was a problem (other than this announcement...)... ?

I almost think I might be guilty of this somewhere along the way...
Old 2024-02-14, 11:41 PM
TTD Administrator
TTD Staff
3.65 TB/8.38 TB/2.30

Re: Torrent data maximum path length is 247 characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioarchivist View Post
Will the posters of torrents that are being deleted get a heads up that their torrents are faulty and being pulled, so they can correct the problem and re-share them as compliant? That would be helpful, rather than just having some stuff disappear with no idea that there was a problem (other than this announcement...)... ?

I almost think I might be guilty of this somewhere along the way...
Thank you for the suggestion. I shall send a PM to the torrent poster 2 weeks in advance. Mods, I "pulled" one I knew about, but probably should have used the Move thread feature (I forgot to use that instead). The posters possibly don't know about the path length issue.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions