The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-11-24, 09:46 AM
Fuck 2024
1.57 TB/3.20 TB/2.04

macs+DVD authoring

I was wondering if anyone here knows if there is a mac equivalent of a DVD authoring program such as TMPGEnc dvd-a 1.6 that doesn't change the bitrate of the video you are working on.

I am trying to recommend something for a friend, and I'm kind of curious myself, as I'm thinking of getting an ibook next year.

Reasonably priced, is key.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-11-24, 10:06 AM
Lockout here
561.46 GB/867.76 GB/1.55

Re: macs+DVD authoring

Me again : DVD Studio Pro, it is better version of Maestro - bought by Apple and developed further. I have a few friends who author in it, and are very happy. I wish it's available for Windoze, even it costs around $800.

Cologneshark is one of a few who use SP and upload here.
Old 2007-11-24, 11:25 AM
Fuck 2024
1.57 TB/3.20 TB/2.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel
Me again : DVD Studio Pro, it is better version of Maestro - bought by Apple and developed further. I have a few friends who author in it, and are very happy. I wish it's available for Windoze, even it costs around $800.

Cologneshark is one of a few who use SP and upload here.
Ha ha, I should just direct all my questions to you from now on, Pawel. I will definitely look into that one, but do you know of anything in the 100-300$ range?

I'm not sure my friend is looking to spend quite that much. And as for me, if I can scrape together enough to get an ibook, it still may require eating ramen noodles for a few months.
Old 2007-11-25, 08:41 AM
Lockout here
561.46 GB/867.76 GB/1.55

I'm a PC freak, so don't know much about mac software. Check here: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/secti...os-video-tools and user' opinions. The site has also very good forum.

I'd look for a software which:
* does not re-encode video
* accepts and not re-encodes MP2 audio format - must have if you author European DVB stream
* does not require to buy a separate plugin to import/write Dolby Digital (AC3)
* may at least mux video with two audio stream (i.e. TDA 1.6 supports only one)
* has subtitles support

Not necessary but welcome:
* accepts non DVD standard video without re-encoding: 544x576 (such video can also be losselessly patched to standard screens size before importing to an authoring program)
* has scripting feature for an advanced authoring
* menu templates

Old 2007-11-25, 09:55 AM
55.87 GB/72.62 GB/1.30

MovieGate is worth taking a look at.

Black Keys - I Got Mine
Tintern Abbey - Vacuum Cleaner
Old 2007-11-25, 10:12 AM
328.06 GB/292.41 GB/0.89

I've been using DVD Studio Pro for several years now, going back to v.2. Thing is, DVDSP is not available as a stand alone program anymore. Not legitimately anyway. It's been folded in Final Cut Studio. Which, I happen to run on all 3 of my Macs.

To answer your original question, if you buy a mac you'll get iLife. It's a bundle of 'i' apps. iPhoto, Garage Band, iWeb, iDVD, iMovie. iDVD *may* do some of what you're looking for in a DVD program. I do seem to remember it kinda does it's own thing as far as encoding goes i.e. best possible fit for the space available or the like.

A ton of Mac related video info here:

http://www.pure-mac.com/video.html

If there's something you (or anyone else) would like to know, I'd be happy to answer any questions you or, anyone else, may have about DVDSP or anything else video for that matter. I'm a long way from knowing everything but I have been making video for about 20 years or so now.
Old 2007-11-25, 10:23 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I second the recommendation to go to videohelp.com. That site is a great source of information and tutorials. I've used their Mac forums and found the users to be very friendly.

Old 2007-11-25, 12:56 PM
Fuck 2024
1.57 TB/3.20 TB/2.04

Thanks for your help everyone, and I will definitely look into videohelp.com as well. I asked here first, because the stuff we were interested in is music related.

Anyway, there's enough good suggestions here to think about, and if I have any more questions about specific applications, it's nice to know there are a couple good places to ask
Old 2007-11-26, 05:23 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

i've used DVDSP for quite a few years, along with the rest of the FC Production Suite...it is well worth the money...imo, its the only way to roll--but i need to have complete control over every aspect of a project, as well as use a high-quality encoder [Compressor is include in the suite, and is top form]

a quick tip, apple's online store gives a hefty discount to students...if you or yer friend knows any college students who would use their name to ship to, you can get the entire prod. suite for around $400-$500 [regular price is $1200]...the drawback is you can't upgrade to future releases when you buy the Academic version, but still worth it imo

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble