The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Music Sharing > Snail Mail Trading > Good & Bad Traders

Notices

Good & Bad Traders If you've had either a good or bad experience with a trader here, please let people know.

Old 2006-05-14, 03:23 PM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Bad trader question?????What constitutes??

OK,I think Ive been had here but dont wanna "out" this guy just yet as I would like to see what some of you {and hopefully a couple moderators} have to say.A few weeks ago a guy evidently saw my list here and contacted me requesting a trade.I said "sure,send me your list".Anywho,we ended up doing a 10 disc trade with me sending his 10 discs out the same day like I always do.Couple weeks later he sends me his end and not one single disc would play on my JVC or Sony player or my computers disc drive.I contacted him today and he said it was a compatibility issue and it was just basically "tough shit".I explained I would like to work this out and would send him his discs back for him to see for himself and his reply was "I spent several hours burning them and I know they play.What do you want me to do about it?"Im not the sort of fellow that wants to bash this guys rep here but...well.....what do you guys think?Would this constitute a "bad trader" or what?
Thanks all!Especially to the good traders that Ive traded with the past year or so here.Its been a hoot!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-05-14, 05:41 PM
TTD Staff
0.00 KB/5.71 TB/Inf.

Re: Bad trader question?????What constitutes??

Are the discs PAL & does your dvd player play them? That is a 'compatibility issue' if not...Though his response makes him appear to be an a$$hole, he did send you discs. If he wanted to rip you off, he could have not sent you anything.
Old 2006-05-15, 10:43 AM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Thanks for your input and I do agree that if he were a thief he would have just sent nothing.MaybeI am just a little bit different as a trader in that I feel that it is my responsibility to make sure that you get what you are expecting to get from me.Now I have no control over the actual quality of the film and or audio and try to be as accurate as possible in describing the quality of the shows on my list.I also make note of whether or not they are "Pal" formatted discs.FYI,My player will play pal formatted discs.I learned about different formats on basically my first trade.Ha Ha and corrected that problem by buying a better,more current player.Hell,I cant even get 'em to play on my computer.I actually had some dialogue with this trader last night and there are a couple things I am going to try and wont "out" this trader because that just isnt the way I am.I mean both of us will survive {like he said} and its not going to be the end of the world but I would have liked to have gotton the shows I was looking forward to getting and if the shoe were on my hoof I would reburn and resend.I have had to do that before and,to me anyway,thats what defines a "good" trader versus a "bad trader".Im not implying he sent garbage on purpose it just appears that way.
Old 2006-05-15, 11:49 AM
9.83 GB/24.03 GB/2.45

I would say put them in your computer and see if there are actually legitimate Video_ts folders. With .vob files in them. If there aren't then I would say he is either trying to rip you off or doesn't know how to burn dvds.
Old 2006-05-15, 01:32 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

yeah, try playing them on your computer with vlc or media player classic, also try at a friend's house on another standalone and/or computer.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2006-05-15, 07:44 PM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Tried them in the computer and they wont play on windows media or recopy on to another disc {thought it might just be rejecting the sony junk media he sent} and no such luck.Not even will play at work on the mega million system they have.Its just one to chalk up to learning who you trade with and not making the same mistake again.Anyone need a matched set,service for 8 coaster set?
Old 2006-05-15, 08:17 PM
calvin1663
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

lol...sounds like someone over there has a crummy DVD player...here's an idea though: insert the discs and open them and look inside the VIDEO_TS folder, and see if there are .vob files in there that actually have size (ie, greater than about 100MB). if not, he did try to screw you, if so, he's prolly got a crappy burner/burned to junky media at 30x+ while playing a fullscreen game, listening to music, watching a movie and checking email

anyways, sorry to hear ya got screwed...

cheers, calvin
Old 2006-05-17, 12:57 AM
711.28 GB/721.11 GB/1.01

I say out the dude. I sure don't want to trade with him.
Old 2006-05-17, 10:40 AM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

First I dont think its my player.I recently ugraded to a Denon dvd-5910 and Ive not ever had any problems playing disc's {audio or video}.I really dont wanna "publicly out this guy" but if you send me a PM Ill tell ya who he is.He is pretty active around here and I know some people have had "good trades" with him and he probably is a good guy but he sure didnt do me right.What kina burns me is that he saw my list and contacted me asking for a trade.Then this?
Anybody have any of the reunion Van Halen shows you might wanna trade?I had tickets for Greenville SC 9.15.04 BUT THE BAND BROKE UP SHORTLY BEFORE AND CANCELLED THIS SHOW.I was really looking forward to seeing them on this tour too.
db.etree.org/ragu420
Old 2006-05-17, 10:52 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Well, it's interesting that you can't play them on your computer or your standalone player.

What does the disc format look like - what are the contents. Perhaps he put some files in the wrong place (like left an md5 in the VIDEO_TS folder). Are you on a PC? Is he also on a PC?

Old 2006-05-17, 10:55 AM
TTD Staff
0.00 KB/5.71 TB/Inf.

Ragu, did you do calvin's suggestion and open the VIDEO_TS folder and see what exactly is in it? (as far as making sure th VOB, BUP, etc files are not only there, but the size of all of them?)

and i've gotta say, i'm starting to agree w/ Robert, i think he should be 'outed', just so peeps know, if the trade doesnt work out on his end, he's gonna be an a$$hole & not try to work out the issues.
Old 2006-05-17, 01:46 PM
835.07 GB/355.56 GB/0.43

Okay, who wants the OTHER side of the story?
I am the one who sent Ragu the DVDS,
1) I am not a thief. why the hell would I send him anything at all if I was trying to rip him off?
2) I made alot of DVDS that day, and I have checked with the traders I sent them to= they have no problems with the stuff I burned that day.
3) I have been trading since before alot of people around here were born going back many years when tapetrading first started, and I am well aware of how to make a DVD.
4) Not once have I not responded to his emails
5) I offered to send him some blanks for his trouble and pay his postage for what he sent me. He refused saying "I am through with this, I dont care anymore"
6) All I ever get from Ragu is scattered emails, calling me names, swearing at me, and stuff like that.
7) I am confident that the DVDS I burned for him were done right, there is no way I sent him 10 blank DVDS as he claims, that is just insane. I spent several hours burning those that day.
8) Ragu offered to send the DVD back to me, and wanted me to re-burn the shows he wanted. I asked him "what if the 'bad' DVDS play in MY machine but dont play in yours? what is the sense in me sending you more?"
9) And Ragu is wrong about Sony DVDS, they are very high quality.
10) the Calvin above me is also wrong: I dont watch movies or play games on my pc.

Truthfully, I shouldnt even be wasting my time , but I hate a "one sided affair" like this....ha ha..
So, if you all want to "out" me as claimed, oh wel...I will survive.
Old 2006-05-17, 02:07 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

woody, you make some good points but bottom line is you should accept Ragu's offer to mail you back the DVDs you burned & have you resend working ones. He has tried everything to try to get the data off and they are not working. You can't ignore that.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2006-05-17, 03:14 PM
835.07 GB/355.56 GB/0.43

Five,
Yes, that is a good idea....BUT, what if the stuff he sends back to me DOES play on my machine? Then there is something wrong on his end correct?j
I dont wanna waste my time and money sending him another 10 DVDS if they are just gonna not play again. That is my point.
Old 2006-05-17, 04:33 PM
calvin1663
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

if there's something legit wrong with the DVDs you sent, you should be the one to own up to it...innocent until proven guilty, right? It may be a pain in the ass to get them back and test them on your machine (something you should ALWAYS do before sending something), but it seems that the problem may lie on your end, as Ragu has a DVD player that plays PAL and NTSC discs...if the stuff he sends back does work on your machine, email him back and explain. Also, you raise two irrelevant points: 1. You're older than the rest of us and therefore are more knowledgeable about these things. This is just plain illogical, as my dad (who was one of the first people on the internet when it started) who's older than I am (and was a grateful dead bootlegger way back when) doesn't know squat compared to what my-haven't-graduated-high-school-yet experience with trading is...being older doesn't mean squat 2. You say that these sony DVDs are "high quality"...there are different kinds of brands, and just because it's sony doesn't necessarily mean it's high quality...in my experience, sony is generally a very much looked down upon media source, as it is generally made for the non-caring public...I use TDKs, they're much more reliable, mabye this is the problem?

and also, I was joking about the games/movies, didn't you get that?!?!?!

calvin

The Traders' Den > Music Sharing > Snail Mail Trading > Good & Bad Traders