The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-12-31, 11:34 AM
131.88 GB/356.29 GB/2.70

Playback issues on WD My Book

Howdy all,

I've poked around for an answer to this and can't seem to find anything...maybe someone here can shed some light on my problem...?

I have really close to 1TB of shns and flacs stored on a WD My Book 2TB Edition in a Raid 1 configuration. Early on I didn't seem to have any issues playing back music directly from the drive, but now when I initiate playback of anything, it is plagued by intermittent pauses (maybe every 30-45 seconds).
The drive still has about 60GB Free Space, is Defragged on a bi-weekely basis, etc. It's connected via firewire directly to a Dell XPS410 with a Core2 Duo processor running XP Home.
If I move the folder to another external drive...no pauses...same if I move the folder to the internal drives (2 750GB in RAID-1). This device had always bothered me in that you can't turn off the 'sleep' mode, but even after it spins up I sill get the pauses during playback. Burning discs off the drive works fine.

It sucks because the thing was rather expensive and the reason I got it was to have access to my library without digging for the backups...

-Perplexed
Old 2008-12-31, 12:50 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Re: Playback issues on WD My Book

the RAID1 (as you know) should offer twice the read speeds - so this is very surprising.

if your drive is testing out with no read/write/block/sector errors- then I'm afraid its down to a driver/hardware (the drive has an internal controller) issue.

if under warranty I would move fast to document the issue.
Ill look for some benchmark links later for you.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2009-01-01, 11:43 AM
131.88 GB/356.29 GB/2.70

Bummin...
I ran CHKDSK on it yesterday...took all-day to complete only to show no errors.
If I'd only known about Drobo before buying this POS (maybe a year or so ago)...
This thing is cool...mix and match drives, full redundancy, remove drives and store them...looks awesome, but hopefully it'll come down in price some. The 4TB model (2TB 'RAID1') is at $999.
http://www.drobo.com/Where_to_Buy/Index.html

Of course...after checking the paperwork, I missed any warranty coverage by about 3 months.
Old 2009-01-02, 09:51 AM
450.60 GB/1.34 TB/3.05

I bought a 1TB WD My Book for archiving all my cd's. Back in '07, it started making clicking noises. I contacted WD and got an RMA but because of relocating I never got to return it for repairs. Oddly enough, I just called them this morning and got a new RMA with no questions asked and will be sending it off tomorrow.
Old 2009-01-02, 12:45 PM
1.08 TB/2.25 TB/2.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby66 View Post
I bought a 1TB WD My Book for archiving all my cd's. Back in '07, it started making clicking noises. I contacted WD and got an RMA but because of relocating I never got to return it for repairs. Oddly enough, I just called them this morning and got a new RMA with no questions asked and will be sending it off tomorrow.
This is not what I want to be hearing, as I just got one last week.
Old 2009-01-02, 12:49 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerm View Post
Bummin...
I ran CHKDSK on it yesterday...took all-day to complete only to show no errors.
If I'd only known about Drobo before buying this POS (maybe a year or so ago)...
This thing is cool...mix and match drives, full redundancy, remove drives and store them...looks awesome, but hopefully it'll come down in price some. The 4TB model (2TB 'RAID1') is at $999.
http://www.drobo.com/Where_to_Buy/Index.html

Of course...after checking the paperwork, I missed any warranty coverage by about 3 months.
ugh.. 3 months out of warranty.. give 'em a call ( most hard drives offer 5yr standard warranty) see if they wont work with you on the issue. you might get lucky!

I've read up on the drobo - its very cool, but would be very noisy (drives + fans). oh well.
I've tried backing up 1.5TB to an online storage..it takes forever (free service) but its an idea to kick around.

I like the drobo solution, but then again, with 1TB drives going for $89.. you can buy a second drive to backup with and store it on a shelf.

storing data sucks, but losing it is the pits!
Old 2009-01-02, 12:50 PM
bright ambassador of morning
497.48 GB/1.18 TB/2.43

the question isn't if a hard drive will fail, it's when.
which is why my eggs are spread across many baskets.
any one of them breaking will suck, but won't be catastrophic.

reminds me, it's time to backup the important stuff from the ol' PC again...

Quote:
Vince Gill:
I just got an award presented to me by a Beatle. Have you had that happen yet, Kanye?
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmakat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
I knew that was the wrong answer
such is the nature of Gilligan.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble