The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2013-05-09, 08:25 PM
631.37 GB/2.11 TB/3.42

Not getting credit for uploads - HELP!

Has someone encountered this? It seems to have started up over the weekend. I seem to be uploading WAY more than i am getting credit for. I've just watched my uTorrent 3.3 client upload over 200 MB of data for a torrent, but my ratio hasn't budged an inch. I've noticed this other times this week, but wasn't paying much attention.

Right now, i am an uploading a torrent, at it says that i've uploaded 225 on this particular torrent so far. The only "unusual" thing that i've found is that when i click on the "Trackers" link, there is usually four lines there:
[DHT]
[Local Peer Discovery]
[Peer Exchange]
and....
http:/www.thetradersden.org/forums/tracker/announce.....etc......

The last line is MISSING for this torrent. I think that might be a symptom of the problem. Can anyone tell me what i might be doing wrong? This has all been on the same computer, btw.
cheers and thanx!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2013-05-09, 08:39 PM
631.37 GB/2.11 TB/3.42

Re: Not getting credit for uploads - HELP!

Just an update on this particular torrent, i may not be getting credit for this one because the .torrent file seems to be missing from its location. So, that might be it. Is there a way to get the .torrent file back without having to re-download the entire thing? Its a video, and it's a big file......

Not sure if this completely solves the larger trend that i've been seeing this week, but replacing the .torrent file for this one might have something to do with this particular upload. Though, i am now wondering how uTorrent is able to upload the file that it is doing right now without the .torrent file.

Anyways, any help is appreciated!
cheers!
Old 2013-05-10, 12:13 AM
631.37 GB/2.11 TB/3.42

Still need help on this, but have an update. I downloaded just the torrent file, put it in my designated .torrent file location, stopped the torrent and restarted it. It doesn't seem to have any effect on the torrent itself as far as changes in the tracker window.

And the 350+ megabytes that i uploaded was never accounted for in my upload totals. According to my account, it never happened.

Any insights or suggestions would be helpful....
cheers!
Old 2013-05-10, 07:14 AM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

place values aren't shown to thousandths
Old 2013-05-10, 08:27 AM
bright ambassador of morning
497.48 GB/1.18 TB/2.43

someone call the Inspector!!

Quote:
Vince Gill:
I just got an award presented to me by a Beatle. Have you had that happen yet, Kanye?
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmakat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
I knew that was the wrong answer
such is the nature of Gilligan.
Old 2013-05-10, 10:18 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

According to your profile, the 10 torrents you are seeding (10 is the max you are allowed) all have 0 leechers, so there is no way you are uploading anything to anybody.

Old 2013-05-10, 10:50 AM
631.37 GB/2.11 TB/3.42

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
According to your profile, the 10 torrents you are seeding (10 is the max you are allowed) all have 0 leechers, so there is no way you are uploading anything to anybody.
So, that is good info, and i am new to trading, so can you please explain that to me?

For example, i have a Jimi Hendrix show that i downloaded some time ago. I just watched as 50 megabytes was uploaded. I received no credit on my share ratio for it. I DO know that when i go into my account, this show is not listed as one of the shows that i am seeding. So, if i share something that i am not 'seeding', does that mean that i don't get credit for that share in my ratio? That's new info and seems strange to me. If i share something, i wouldn't think that would matter at all, but again, i am new to this.

And if the above is correct, that probably explains it all right there!

I guess most importantly, do i have any control over what i am "seeding"? I've downloaded more than the 10 shows that i am currently showing as seeding, and want to share (of course) what i have. I don't know how what i am seeding is determined. And, if i have control over what i am seeding, i am missing that piece of information regarding how to configure that.

Many thanx and cheers!
Old 2013-05-10, 03:04 PM
Champion of the Silent
TTD VIP
727.47 GB/6.81 TB/9.58

Remedial math, anyone?

Actually judging by your 92.90 GB uploaded and your 25.29 GB downloaded, I'm not sure why your ratio shows 0.27. It should be .37 by my calculations (actually .367). So that's weird.

But you've downloaded over 25 GB of data. 50 MB upload isn't going to make much of an impression on your ratio. Even by your current stats, uploading 1 GB (without any further downloading) will only raise your ratio to .371, which will still show as .37. You're going to have to do a hell of a lot of uploading to get your ratio up!
Old 2013-05-10, 05:29 PM
Peninsulanwolf
278.96 GB/560.91 GB/2.01

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorrcoq View Post
Remedial math, anyone?
Ahem.

Quote:
Actually judging by your 92.90 GB uploaded and your 25.29 GB downloaded, I'm not sure why your ratio shows 0.27. It should be .37 by my calculations (actually .367). So that's weird.
You've got it backward. Uploaded 25.29 GB / downloaded 92.90 GB = 0.2722282 which is rounded off to two decimal places as 0.27

Quote:
But you've downloaded over 25 GB of data. 50 MB upload isn't going to make much of an impression on your ratio. Even by your current stats, uploading 1 GB (without any further downloading) will only raise your ratio to .371, which will still show as .37. You're going to have to do a hell of a lot of uploading to get your ratio up!
If he uploaded another 50 MB it would then make his uploaded amount approximately 25.34 GB, divided by 92.90 = 0.27276642 which would also round off to 0.27 -- although 50 MB may sound like a lot of data, it really ain't diddly squat compared to 92.90 GB

92.9 x 2^30 = 99,750,615,449.6 bytes
50 x 2^20 = 52,428,800 bytes
99,750,615,449.6 / 52,428,800 = 1,902.592 times as many bytes

So yes, it's gonna take some significant uploads to change the ratio much at all.
Old 2013-05-12, 09:32 PM
631.37 GB/2.11 TB/3.42

Smile Re: Not getting credit for uploads - HELP!

LOL, i enjoyed the various math lessons, that cracked me up. Thanx for that!

Obviously, improving my share ratio significantly will take some time and some uploads, there is no dispute there. But, barring my finding some old recordings from the past (i am not an avid taper today), I will have to rely on improving my share ratio incrementally.

And back to that point.... I just watched as my tracker registered an upload of at least 50 MB for a video that i downloaded several weeks ago. (That video is NOT listed as one of the shows that i am "seeding"......) Simple math would say that that is worth an upload of .0488 gigbytes (50/1024). My upload amount should have changed by at least .04 gigs. It did not, it has remained unchanged. If this happened say 5 times a day due to my not doing something right, and you multiply that by 30 days, it improves my ratio quickly. Hence my question.

I don't monitor my ratios every day or anything, and i'm new to trading in general. So, if there is something that i can change to seed different shows than what i am seeding (see earlier question in thread, i do not know how what i am 'seeding' is determined and whether i have any control over it) or if there's something else that i don't understand (like maybe i don't get upload credit for something that i upload that i am not "seeding" or something?), i just want to figure it all out.

I'm just aspiring to be the BEST, DAMN sharer that i can be!
lol and cheers!
Old 2013-05-12, 09:57 PM
Peninsulanwolf
278.96 GB/560.91 GB/2.01

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormogul9 View Post
And back to that point.... I just watched as my tracker registered an upload of at least 50 MB for a video that i downloaded several weeks ago. (That video is NOT listed as one of the shows that i am "seeding"......) Simple math would say that that is worth an upload of .0488 gigbytes (50/1024). My upload amount should have changed by at least .04 gigs. It did not, it has remained unchanged. If this happened say 5 times a day due to my not doing something right, and you multiply that by 30 days, it improves my ratio quickly. Hence my question.
I think it just takes a bit of time for stats to update, your upload total has increased by 0.70 gigs since your last post in this thread and the share ratio has increased to 0.28 -- congrats!!!

Probably the best way to improve a share ratio is to avoid torrents which won't have any downloaders after you finish, and concentrate on jumping on a new torrent that will be popular ASAP after it is seeded. Stay on long after you've finished downloading and you'll be uploading far more than you downloaded.

Good luck and just keep on chooglin'
Old 2013-05-13, 09:50 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormogul9 View Post
I guess most importantly, do i have any control over what i am "seeding"? I've downloaded more than the 10 shows that i am currently showing as seeding, and want to share (of course) what i have. I don't know how what i am seeding is determined. And, if i have control over what i am seeding, i am missing that piece of information regarding how to configure that.

Many thanx and cheers!
Just keep 10 shows 'open' for seeding. Pick the ones that have leechers and then that way you will get upload credit when they upload from you.

Old 2013-05-16, 12:45 AM
631.37 GB/2.11 TB/3.42

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidergawd View Post

Probably the best way to improve a share ratio is to avoid torrents which won't have any downloaders after you finish, and concentrate on jumping on a new torrent that will be popular ASAP after it is seeded. Stay on long after you've finished downloading and you'll be uploading far more than you downloaded.

Good luck and just keep on chooglin'
Thanx, i appreciate the help AND the encouragement!
cheers!
Old 2013-05-16, 12:57 AM
631.37 GB/2.11 TB/3.42

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
Just keep 10 shows 'open' for seeding. Pick the ones that have leechers and then that way you will get upload credit when they upload from you.
OK, this might answer my questions if you can explain this. How do i keep 10 shows 'open' for seeding? I have no idea where to go or how to manage my 10 shows. All i know is that i go into my account, and under the "Torrent Stats" tab, there's 10 shows in green (i assume that i am seeding those) and 2 shows in blue (not sure why in blue, one of those i can't seem to get 100% of....).

The 10 shows in green are NOT the 10 most recent shows that i have downloaded. "Something" decides those 10, i don't know what that "something" is. If i could change some on that list, i would, but i don't know where to go to do that. I don't even see a place where i can examine all my downloads. Your comment "pick ones that have leechers" would lead me to believe that i can see that information somewhere? Can i see that in my account profile somewhere, or do i have to go to each thread periodically and see if there are leechers on that swarm?

One more question that i have is about "seeding" vs. "uploading". All the time, i see that i am "uploading" stuff which i am not "seeding". I assume that i get upload credit for this, even though i am not "seeding" it?

Sorry, these may be silly questions but i've read the FAQ and i either missed this somehow or its not there.
cheers and thanx for the help!
Old 2013-05-16, 09:47 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

You get to decide what 10 shows to seed. If you 'stop' all your shows in your torrent client, then turn on the ones that have leechers, those are the shows that will show up on the list.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Tags
statistics, upload