The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2012-05-20, 08:30 AM
48.95 GB/2.66 TB/55.63

Upload stats not being updated

For a while now, I've been getting no credit for my upload traffic.

Any idea why this might be? I definitely have fewer than 10 torrents currently tracked, so I'm curious what has gone wrong and why.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2012-05-20, 09:42 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Upload stats not being updated

6 of the 10 torrents you are active on have 0 leechers. The other 4 have 1 leecher and many seeders. But, you are showing as having uploaded quite a bit on them:

Screen Shot 2012-05-20 at 7.41.15 AM.png

Old 2012-05-20, 09:58 AM
48.95 GB/2.66 TB/55.63

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
6 of the 10 torrents you are active on have 0 leechers. The other 4 have 1 leecher and many seeders. But, you are showing as having uploaded quite a bit on them:

Attachment 99678
Thanks for replying.

The data shown here isn't very recent. Those numbers haven't increased for a few days now.

Take this Beach Boys torrent, for example:

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ad.php?t=98071

I've uploaded about 5.5 Gb of that in the last few days, yet the tracker stats show only 2.39 Gb.

My total upload has been stuck at 217.81 Gb for a few days now, even though people come and go and download stuff from me.

It really seems as if the tracker is discarding some traffic reports from the client.
Old 2012-05-20, 07:55 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Well, the tracker will discard data if you have more that ten shows open. But, don't forget that if you turn off your bt client or stop or pause for any reason, it will start in the thread as 0 uploaded again. We do not keep stats on individual torrents, only overall.

Old 2012-05-21, 02:08 AM
48.95 GB/2.66 TB/55.63

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
Well, the tracker will discard data if you have more that ten shows open.
Yeah, that's happened to me before, but I learnt my lesson at the time.

Quote:
But, don't forget that if you turn off your bt client or stop or pause for any reason, it will start in the thread as 0 uploaded again. We do not keep stats on individual torrents, only overall.
This BT client is running continuously, but it's the overall stats that aren't updating. I've been on 217.81 Gb of upload for days, even though I've been pumping out that Beach Boys torrent throughout the weekend.

Here's a question for you, although I'm 99% sure it's not a factor here.

If I have 10 torrents open and then start downloading an 11th, the stats on the 11th won't be registered. But what happens when I then stop one of the other 10 torrents? Do the stats on what was the 11th now register or do they remain in limbo?

It's possible that the Beach Boys torrent was my 11th for the minute or so that it took me to choose which one of the other 10 to shut down, but that still wouldn't explain why my stats aren't updating at all, i.e. not even for the dribs and drabs I'm uploading on the other 9.
Old 2012-05-21, 03:45 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

If you had 10, then 11, then stopped 1, then the only amount that will update for that 1 is the part between the last 'announce' and the new 'announce'. I believe the announce interval is set around 50 minutes or so? I can't remember, but you only 'announce' to the tracker once every xx minutes.

Old 2012-05-21, 05:37 PM
48.95 GB/2.66 TB/55.63

No, my question is what happens to the 11th torrent when another torrent is paused and the 11th becomes the 10th? Does it then start to have its stats registered, or does it remain off-radar, because it started life as the 11th? In other words, does it need to be paused and restarted in order to register?

In any case, that's not the problem here. The two Philip Glass concerts that I uploaded were both being downloaded this afternoon, from me and the only other seeder still on them. In spite of lots of traffic leaving here, not a single byte was added to my TTD total. The site has stopped registering any traffic I report to it.
Old 2012-05-22, 02:32 AM
48.95 GB/2.66 TB/55.63

In an effort to figure this out, I stopped all of my torrents.

I then checked my seeding opportunities at TTD.

Perfect, there are 2 leechers on a Nirvana torrent that I have, and currently no seeders. This is the torrent:

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ad.php?t=34355

I start this torrent seeding and, very quickly, one of the leechers connects to me. I start pumping traffic over the wire, but never receive any credit for the upload. Bizarre. It's my only running torrent.

I decide to restart my BT client, so I took advantage of the downtime and upgraded Transmission from 2.50 to 2.52 at the same time.

Soon after that, my leecher reconnects and I start getting upload credit in the peers list stats for that torrent. Some time after that, my overall upload stat updates, too.

Version 2.50 of Transmission used to work fine with TTD, so it was almost certainly the restart that fixed the problem, not the upgrade to 2.52.

It remains a mystery to me, however, what caused the problem in the first place. I lost several tens of gigabytes to the issue after noticing it, and who knows how much before I even realised that my counter was stuck?

Anyway, if another user complains about the same issue, you'll have my observations to refer back to. I have not experienced this problem with any of the other trackers I regularly use (DIME, Hunger City, etc.).

Cheers,

Ian
Old 2012-05-22, 09:56 PM
97.12 GB/1.47 TB/15.46

I thought I noticed that as well Ian.
I use transmission as well. Just thought I was going crazy.
I seldom have more than 10 shows seeded at once from here so that wasn't it
for me.
Old 2012-05-23, 08:08 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Very odd. I haven't changed anything on the tracker, so I don't know why it would suddenly not update with that version of Transmission.

Old 2012-05-29, 12:29 PM
48.95 GB/2.66 TB/55.63

It looks as if my stats have ground to a halt again. I've been stuck at the same total upload amount for days now, even though torrents continue to be leeched from me.
Old 2012-05-30, 12:04 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

According to your profile page, you've only uploaded about 100MB lately. That's not going to move your stats at all.

Old 2012-05-30, 01:38 AM
48.95 GB/2.66 TB/55.63

I restarted Transmission after posting. I'd actually uploaded much more than that before I did so.

Looking now, I've uploaded 225 Mb in the night, but my total upload stat hasn't moved even 0.01 Gb, which isn't right.

Something's definitely awry here.
Old 2012-05-30, 07:04 AM
IC Elvis & hear God on my iPod
742.25 GB/2.35 TB/3.25

Location: Latitude: 52,3500°, Longitude: 4,9167°, Altitude: High

If you are talking about your stats next to your avatar (your ratio): this is what I've noticed. Yesterday I looked at these numbers (and wrote them down) and they were: uploaded 217.98 GB, downloaded 23.89 GB and a ratio of 9.12. Right now (as I write this) your stats are: uploaded 217.98 GB, downloaded 24.80 GB and a ratio of 8.79 (all rounded up). Looking at your torrent stats page I see that besides uploading the 225 MB you talked about, you also downloaded a audio torrent of 928 MB and uploaded 72 MB. So you didn't uploaded 0.22 GB but 0.29 GB in total and you downloaded 0.91 GB.

Your current ratio is 8.79 and you have downloaded 24.80 GB from this tracker, that would mean that you should have uploaded an average of 217.99 GB. Now to raise that ratio with 0.01 (and without downloading any data) the amount of data uploaded would have to be 218.24 GB. So you need to upload 0.25 GB to raise the ratio with 0.01. Now we want to raise that ratio with 0.01 but we also downloaded some data (let's say 1 GB). In this case we need to upload 227.04 GB to raise the ratio with 0.01.

So far the math. The strangest thing here is that looking at your stats from the last two days that only the total amount of data downloaded changed from 23.89 GB to 24.80 GB, but the total amount of data uploaded hasn't changed.

I'm curious what happens to your stats if you would use another BT client, like vuze or uTorrent for Mac (I assume your on a mac?).
Old 2012-05-30, 04:38 PM
48.95 GB/2.66 TB/55.63

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabulon View Post
If you are talking about your stats next to your avatar (your ratio): this is what I've noticed. Yesterday I looked at these numbers (and wrote them down) and they were: uploaded 217.98 GB, downloaded 23.89 GB and a ratio of 9.12. Right now (as I write this) your stats are: uploaded 217.98 GB, downloaded 24.80 GB and a ratio of 8.79 (all rounded up). Looking at your torrent stats page I see that besides uploading the 225 MB you talked about, you also downloaded a audio torrent of 928 MB and uploaded 72 MB. So you didn't uploaded 0.22 GB but 0.29 GB in total and you downloaded 0.91 GB.
Yes, the download of the 928 Mb audio torrent occurred after I last posted. This download was added to my download total, which obviously reduced my share ratio. So, we can conclude that downloads definitely do get reported and properly accounted for.

Quote:
Your current ratio is 8.79 and you have downloaded 24.80 GB from this tracker, that would mean that you should have uploaded an average of 217.99 GB. Now to raise that ratio with 0.01 (and without downloading any data) the amount of data uploaded would have to be 218.24 GB. So you need to upload 0.25 GB to raise the ratio with 0.01. Now we want to raise that ratio with 0.01 but we also downloaded some data (let's say 1 GB). In this case we need to upload 227.04 GB to raise the ratio with 0.01.
It's simpler to just look at the upload traffic counter, because the share ratio can legitimately remain the same if I continue to upload and download in the same proportion.

The upload traffic counter, on the other hand, should always increment with 0.01 for every 10 Mb of traffic that I upload. Unfortunately, however, it no longer does. It used to, very reliably, but stopped a few weeks ago. I briefly got it going again when I upgraded Transmission and restarted the daemon, but it soon ground to a halt once again.

If you look at that 928 Mb audio torrent that I downloaded in the last 24 hours, I see that I have now uploaded 388 Mb of data from it. My upload counter should now be somewhere in the region of 218.30 Gb, but it is still stuck at the same 217.98 Gb that you noted 24 hours ago.

Quote:
The strangest thing here is that looking at your stats from the last two days that only the total amount of data downloaded changed from 23.89 GB to 24.80 GB, but the total amount of data uploaded hasn't changed.
Right. Strange, isn't it?

Quote:
I'm curious what happens to your stats if you would use another BT client, like vuze or uTorrent for Mac (I assume your on a mac?).
No, I'm not using a Mac. I run Transmission on an x86 based Netgear ReadyNAS system.

It's tricky to move to another client, as installation on this box can be awkward. I'm also very happy with Transmission, as I've never had a problem with any of the trackers I use until recently with TTD. Until this issue developed, Transmission worked very happily with TTD, too. When it ceased to function correctly, I hadn't changed anything at my end. I had been running version 2.50 for months.

I have a decent ratio, so that's not an immediate issue, but if my ratio can only ever go down, not up, that's obviously very bad. I'd like to receive credit for the traffic that I upload.

Anyway, I'm travelling at the moment and won't be back in Amsterdam until Sunday, so I may not be able to reply until then.

Cheers,

ian

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble