The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-08-30, 07:16 PM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

Question re DVD uploads from discs made with standalone DVD recorder

I've got a couple of Panasonic DVD recorders, which use DVD-RAM and DVD-R discs - as far as I can see, the file structure on the DVD-R discs that I make with these machines corresponds to what is expected here; i.e. for a disc with 6 titles recorded, I've got a top-level VIDEO_TS folder, and within that
VIDEO_TS.BUP, .IFO, VOB, plus
VTS_01_0.BUP )
VTS_01_0.IFO )
VTS_01_1.VOB ) these 3 repeated with

The only thing I can see that doesn't correspond to requirements is that these machines put an index point in at every 5 minutes, rather than allowing me to put them at 'logical' places; however, in the FAQ it just says "we would PREFER to have indexes at logical places"

I'm also a bit in the dark as to quoting frame rates, audio codecs etc - I just hit 'record' and off they go.... and I get a finalised disc out at the end.....

Shall I try and upload something and see if it's OK....? Trust me, I've got some interesting bits & pieces....

Regards, Graham
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-08-31, 05:07 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Re: Question re DVD uploads from discs made with standalone DVD recorder

we don't require properly chaptered/menued shows, but most folks prefer them nowadays...depending on what format the "originals" are in [VHS, DVR, etc] you might have someone properly transfer them for you [especially if they're VHS and you don't hav access to a pro SVHS deck]...or, you could transfer to DVDR with yer SA and send the disc to someone to demux/author properly with menus and chapters

one downside to SA recorders is that alot of em won't allow you to adjust the bit rate it encodes at [and sets them too low / too much compression]...others alow you to adjust the bit rates, the higher the better while still fitting on a DVDR...you should look into that with yer models and use the one that'll allow ya to manually adjust

once captured/burned, you can find out what a DVDs frame rates and specs are by using one of the recommended progs in our FAQ:
Rule #7 http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...faq_videorules
Old 2007-08-31, 06:12 AM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

Re: Question re DVD uploads from discs made with standalone DVD recorder

I've got the choice of recording modes; XP, SP, LP, EP - XP fits 1 hour onto a standard DVD-R, SP 2 hours, LP 4 hours.

I would always be using XP for premium quality.

Regards, Graham
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble