The Traders' Den  

  The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble
 

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 2008-06-12, 12:32 PM
MuriD MuriD is offline
7.81 GB/8.92 GB/1.14
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
BootDb

Hi everybody

I was bored and decided to write a very simple database tool for storing my own tradelist. Quite a long time have passed from the moment i've started writing this... i've tryed to make it nice & easy, all i want now - to see the reaction of people - if people will like this program, i'll keep working on it, there will be updates then. So far - here it is, over 2000 script lines in the source, dlls... Hope at least someone will like it.

All the info about it is located in the readme file which can be found in the /txt/ folder inside archive. Same readme file is here - http://nirvana.ismywebs.com/bootdb/readme.txt

Download it - http://nirvana.ismywebs.com/bootdb/bootdb0.5.0.38a.zip

EDIT: sorry if it's wrong forum, i didn't found any section to just talk about software here
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #2  
Old 2008-06-13, 12:02 AM
DanielG's Avatar
DanielG DanielG is offline
219.01 GB/266.09 GB/1.21
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Australia
Re: BootDb

I had a quick look at the application. It looks pretty good.

My comments:

1. When adding a new show the 'tab ordering' is a little off. Currently it goes from:
Band --> Venue --> Source --> Generation --> Length --> Transferred By --> Clear --> Setlist --> Additional Notes --> Year --> Month --> Day --> Save

A more natural flow would be:
Band --> Year --> Month --> Day --> Venue --> Source --> Generation --> Length --> Transferred By --> Setlist --> Additional Notes --> Save --> Clear

2. The "Band" field could be a drop down list that contains a list of previously entered bands in the database. That way you could select an existing band or type in the name of a new band.

3. On the main screen where all the shows are listed, it would be nice if the the columns could be sorted. eg. Date, Band, Venue, Source, Length, Transferred By.

4. Add "Recording Device", "Microphone" fields to the "Add Show" screen.

5. Search screen. Allow non case-sensitive search on the "Band" field.

6. Search screen. The "Length" search only allows you to search for a specific time length. The ability to search for shows between 70 and 85 minutes would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
  #3  
Old 2008-06-13, 05:54 AM
MuriD MuriD is offline
7.81 GB/8.92 GB/1.14
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Re: BootDb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielG View Post
I had a quick look at the application. It looks pretty good.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielG View Post
My comments:

1. When adding a new show the 'tab ordering' is a little off. Currently it goes from:
Band --> Venue --> Source --> Generation --> Length --> Transferred By --> Clear --> Setlist --> Additional Notes --> Year --> Month --> Day --> Save

A more natural flow would be:
Band --> Year --> Month --> Day --> Venue --> Source --> Generation --> Length --> Transferred By --> Setlist --> Additional Notes --> Save --> Clear
This is the order in which components were added. I'll try to fix that if there will be updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielG View Post
2. The "Band" field could be a drop down list that contains a list of previously entered bands in the database. That way you could select an existing band or type in the name of a new band.
Nice idea, but there are too many groups, e.t.c. Thanks for suggestion - if there will be updates i may add few bands, bootlegs of which are most popular and yeah - of cource i'll leave band field editable (as date parameters) for some additional bands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielG View Post
3. On the main screen where all the shows are listed, it would be nice if the the columns could be sorted. eg. Date, Band, Venue, Source, Length, Transferred By.
They're actually sorted by date in the list. I was thinking about adding a function to "sort by parameter" on column click, but i was too lazy & busy to do that, just wanted to see if it's reasonable to continue working on it. So far, since i get good opinions about it on a bunch of forums i'll probably do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielG View Post
4. Add "Recording Device", "Microphone" fields to the "Add Show" screen.
Well, this may be reasonable for some artists bootlegs, for some not + there is an "additional info" field for such things which don't have their specialized place. Anyway i bet that those fileds will always stay clear, traders are lazy as hell. Also, too many things should be fixed in the program if i'll add more fields, so i'm not gonna do that until there is a big need of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielG View Post
5. Search screen. Allow non case-sensitive search on the "Band" field.
Yeah, i've leaved them all case-sensitive. I may fix that if there will be updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielG View Post
6. Search screen. The "Length" search only allows you to search for a specific time length. The ability to search for shows between 70 and 85 minutes would be helpful.
Nice. And again if there will be updates i may add an inbox window for such searching + a small button to the search form.

Thanks for your comments again.

Last edited by MuriD; 2008-06-13 at 06:02 AM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Reply

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forums


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - , TheTradersDen.org - All Rights Reserved - Hosted at QuickPacket
no new posts