PDA

View Full Version : lego skyline=lossy mp3/md always?

vold911
2012-05-31, 04:45 AM
just wondering if there are some cases where you can see a lego skyline but its still not mp3 or md?

AAR.oner
2012-05-31, 06:13 AM
nothing that i've ever seen

bertrand
2012-06-11, 03:19 AM
just wondering if there are some cases where you can see a lego skyline but its still not mp3 or md?

What do you mean by lego skyline?

It depends on the recording, sometimes people sample loops and whatnot from mp3s, or have weird lowpass filters. If we're talking live recordings tho, that should be a non-issue.

Luke_of_Mass
2012-06-11, 03:58 AM
lego skyline...? are you referring to how lossy files look kinda choppy and trimmed at specific db on frequency analysis programs?

if so, theoretically anything is possible but its extremely unlikely. i would think it would have to be deliberate and difficult to pull off.

Sabbathomaniac
2015-05-29, 03:56 AM
I know what kind of 'lego' you mean, see my attached picture. This is a good question, I always wondered about the same thing! Today I asked a friend, and he replied: "Lego blocks can be caused by using "de-clipping/crackle" reduction in Nero wave editor." He experienced it himself one time when he used that setting with an audio file that definitely looked perfectly lossless before he applied that setting.

I am wondering if there are other functions in audio editing softwares which might produce this kind of lego blocks? "de-clipping/crackle" sounds like it is usually applied to vinyl-rips - are there any noise-reduction, compression or whatever settings that can cause this kind of pattern?

Sabbathomaniac
2015-05-29, 09:35 AM
Attached you see the spectral image of an audio file that was lossless (and looked lossless) originally, and this image shows how it looks after applying the "de-clipping/crackle" reduction in Nero Wave Editor.