PDA

View Full Version : My Burner Always Chokes On Dual Layers

ijwthstd
2012-01-31, 01:23 PM
But I have a fresh spindle of blanks.

My burner is the one that came with the computer. Always fails data verification and I cannot re-copy them.

With my share ratio now I can probably hit and run every DVD9 on this site without shame but I want to at least be able to watch them and copy them for my friends later.

What burner should I get?

Homebrew101
2012-01-31, 01:45 PM
it probably is the brand of blanks you tried, not al DL discs are equal

it's been a while since I've burned any DL but my last burner only liked Verbatim DL discs

maybe google your burner = DVD9 to see what others have run across

mrbaldy
2012-01-31, 04:07 PM
Yeah, I've never had a problem with Verbatim DL discs. Built-in burners (especially slimline ones, like you get on laptops) are problematical at best. LG external burners are pretty good, in my experience.

LeifH12345
2012-01-31, 04:38 PM
Yeah I've got an LG DL lightscribe black and white burner and I've used all kinds of DL blanks with no issues (even Memorex)

oxymoron
2012-02-01, 07:08 AM
^^^ be lucky, have big problems with LG burner / DL´s, system is Xp
it does not matter which brand I use ...
now I've given up trying to burn dl's, they only save on HDD
DL's are also too expensive, to save on HDD is cheaper

LeifH12345
2012-02-04, 03:49 PM
DL's are also too expensive, to save on HDD is cheaper

:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

Drgiggles1
2012-02-04, 07:45 PM
Are you burning @ 2.4 x's speed or higher ? I never had a problem with 2.4. Out of the last 100 burns for me 2 failed verification and both were at max speed.

tonebloke
2012-02-05, 02:50 AM
ALWAYS burn disks (especially dual-layer) at slowest speed possible. :thumbsup

oxymoron
2012-02-05, 02:59 AM
^^^ the speed is not the problem. i mean this is more a question of changing the layer!
most of the break are exactly at this point.
the LG burner where i used are tested with "planitum" as very perfect by a german computer mag, any other make problems indeed
but so what, never burn dl´s for the future

tonebloke
2012-02-05, 10:04 PM
Excluding the layer-break from the equation, the slower the burn the better the "cutting" of the information into the recording dye layer.

pelt
2012-02-05, 10:19 PM
I have 2 LG "seper multi" burners, one 'newer one' has lightscribe, I have had no issues with ImgBurn and DL DVD's..current spindle is Memorex..I always burn at slowest speeds I can, only time in the past I had trouble was the burner dying after burning a few hundred discs
ps..Windows XP Home SP3.

oxymoron
2012-02-05, 10:22 PM
^^^ be glad with it .... but anyway: DL's are also too expensive, to save on HDD is cheaper!!!
:wave:

oxymoron
2012-02-05, 10:25 PM
I have 2 LG "seper multi" burners, one 'newer one' has lightscribe, I have had no issues with ImgBurn and DL DVD's..current spindle is Memorex..I always burn at slowest speeds I can, only time in the past I had trouble was the burner dying after burning a few hundred discs
ps..Windows XP Home SP3.

funny, same as me (burner/xp-sp3)
memorex are very good, but also too expensive
i have buy my last external hdd usb2.0 2TB for only 70€