PDA

View Full Version : Firewalled...

BeenTrampled
2011-06-09, 08:39 PM
I went to Port Forward.com and followed the instructions for setting up a static IP and attempted to forward ports for my set-up, (uTorrent with a Linksys E3000).

I downloaded the PortChecker software and it said I was still being blocked, and when I checked uTorrent it was saying that I wasn't able to connect to anything...

Some questions I've had during this process:
·Should I have "Enable NAT-PMP port mapping" checked in uTorrent?
·How do I determine if my firewall is blocking my port? If it is...how do I fix that? :hmm:

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. :(

Drgiggles1
2011-06-10, 09:44 AM
For utorrent under Connection settings the only thing needed to be check marked is add Windows firewall exception. If you are using a different firewall than perform exception accordingly. Also in the same window make sure the port used for incoming connections matches the port number that you have setup on your router. Regarding your static IP setup double check on a windows machine by bringing up the DOS command window cmd.exe and typing ipconfig / all and scroll up and under Ethernet adapter Home: the Ipv4 address should match the IP address you setup on the router. If static ip is setup correctly you should see <Preferred> after the ip address. On the router make sure where you setup the port that it is enabled. Double check your Firewall settings by making sure uTorrent program is check marked. You can also add a port in the firewall settings for both TCP and UDP. I like to give it a name such as UtorrentTCP and UtorrentUDP so I know what they are. Again the port number you type in must match the utoorent and router settings. That should do it. If you are using an OS other than Windows than someone else will have to help you along or you can follow the same principle I layed out for Win. OS.

BeenTrampled
2011-06-18, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the help! I'm going to try doing it again today. :)

BeenTrampled
2011-06-18, 12:00 PM
Sorry for the double-post, it won't let me edit it...

Okay...I literally did the steps again - including checking my Firewall and checking the cmd.exe again, per Drgiggles1 - and it's still not open...

Going to try a different port...

EDIT: Tried a different port. Now the PortChecker program is saying that I am open, but it wasn't "able to ping" my computer. Is that a problem?

...And the site is still saying I'm firewalled. :hmm:

P A U L
2011-06-19, 05:31 AM
You don't make it clear but, when you did whatever you did, did you:

* go into windows firewall & open the port (make a pinhole)?
* go to your router's website & also make a pinhole in the router's firewall?

I have that box checked on mine, so, if yours is unchecked, maybe try it...

From a mod over @ dime:

Make sure incoming unencrypted (or
"legacy") connections are allowed and see if that helps.

But you need to make sure that every stage of your firewall(s) have a pinhole w/ the same port # that you assign to your torrent client...

BeenTrampled
2011-06-20, 04:59 PM
I believe so. When I went through the process of forwarding/opening my port, I enabled it on the router's page. In Windows Firewall, I made sure that uTorrent was an allowed program...

When I first went through the process with the port I was using at the time, it said I was firewalled and nothing seemed to change - in fact, I was getting a red X in uTorrent with no connections being made. When I tried it again, I used a different port, and the PortChecker program told me that it was open...but that it couldn't ping it. I had another red X in uTorrent and this site had "FIREWALLED" beneath my share-ratio again.

:(

Another question: uTorrent keeps telling me to "Enable NAT-PMP port mapping" in order to facilitate having an open port...is that right? Should I uncheck that option?

P A U L
2011-06-20, 07:15 PM
In windows firewall you still might want to put a pinhole like you did on your router page...

If you read a port # on the site here make a rule in firewall to always allow that port to be open. It should be the same one that you did the same for on your router page...

In windows 7 you do it like this:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-a-port-in-Windows-Firewall

older versions should be similar. Just google "open port in firewall win ___" add your version in the blank spot...

Make sure that # is assigned in utorrent so that everything is on the same page as far as opening & transmitting through the same pinhole...

I've seen other threads here though that the site might give false positives for firewalling. If you are sure that you have the # assigned & all ports configured right then maybe you're getting a false positive...

P A U L
2011-06-20, 07:17 PM
"Enable NAT-PMP port mapping"
I answered you in my other post that mine is checked. I don't know if it's a necessity but I would check it & also the unencrypted/legacy connections are allowed...

BeenTrampled
2011-06-20, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the link! I'm checking it out now...Sorry, thought you meant the box for enabling uTorrent in Windows Firewall.

Going to try everything again (lol) now...

EDIT: Okay...did all of that, and it didn't help.

Drgiggles1
2011-06-20, 09:05 PM
Disable in uTorrent: DHT, LPD, Resolve IPs
If you manually port forward, disable UPnP and NAT-PMP

BeenTrampled
2011-06-21, 10:17 AM
Okay...I've disabled UPnP and NAT-PMP under "Connection"...and I've disabled "Enable DHT Network" and "DHT for new torrents," but can't see an option for "Resolve IPs."

Thanks for helping me guys, by the way. I really appreciate it.

EDIT: ...I've run into the same problem. The PortChecker program says my port is open, but that it can't "ping" my computer.

BeenTrampled
2011-06-21, 11:19 AM
Sorry about double-posting again...

I should note that I'm using uTorrent 2.2.1. Most screenshots detailing how to set-up the program properly seem to be using an earlier version of the program...

...And I should also note that almost everything seems to be working fine - I have a green checkmark in uTorrent, I'm downloading a torrent from another site, I can access the internet with my static IP, I'm not showing up as firewalled on this site...but I'm still not able to seed.

Drgiggles1
2011-06-21, 11:23 AM
Resolve IP's will be found under:
Preferences - Advanced. Look for peer resolve country. If the value is true you want to change it to false by clicking once, and selecting false, and clicking ok. As far as can't ping my computer goes make sure your IP address on the computer has not changed. Also did you manually add a port in windows firewall for both UDP and TCP as suggested earlier ?

BeenTrampled
2011-06-21, 11:28 AM
The entry for "peer.resolve_country" is already set to "false."

Yes, I added two rules (TCP and UDP) for the port I'm using in Windows Firewall.

Checking under the cmd.exe...the IPv4 address is the static IP I set-up earlier.

Drgiggles1
2011-06-21, 11:36 AM
If you are green on utorrent that is good. If you see having issues with seeding than the peers are most likely firewalled themselves. Sometimes it takes a while for the other peers to connect to you. You may want to try jumping on a popular torrent that just started either here or @ some other popular tracker and see while the peers increase to see if you begin to seed while downloading.

BeenTrampled
2011-06-21, 11:39 AM
Alrighty. Thanks for the help, again. I'll just wait and see. :)

I'm not showing up as firewalled here, which is a nice change.

Drgiggles1
2011-06-21, 11:50 AM
The only other thing I can think of regarding the ping issue is that you may want to try to change the static IP as well as the IP port forwarded on the router to an IP address that is equal to the highest possible in the range for your network. For example if you login your router, click on status, than local network you will see a DHCP table. For example start 192.168.1.100 - end 192.168.1.149. You can try changing your IP address to the highest range in this example would be 192.168.1.149. You will have to change the static IP address to that too. Make sure you restart utorrent as well. You can leave the port number the same on both router and utorrent.

BeenTrampled
2011-06-21, 11:56 AM
I'll try that out, then, and see if it makes a difference. :)

EDIT: Tried that. Didn't alter the "Ping Result" in PortChecker. *Shrug*

Drgiggles1
2011-06-21, 01:44 PM
After looking a bit further into the ping result it may very well be a setting in the firewall software. I just did some speed tests and a ping test and on mine it came up unpingable. Obviously not important. I think there must be a setting in firewall or router, not sure which, so that you can put a tick mark in "Allow incoming ping (ICMP Echo)" for a test but you would want to revert back to the original setting after testing.

BeenTrampled
2011-06-21, 02:52 PM
I'll maybe check that out...still not seeding on here, but I'll wait and see how things go.

Thanks once again!

Drgiggles1
2011-06-22, 07:44 AM
I'll maybe check that out...still not seeding on here, but I'll wait and see how things go.

Thanks once again!
I just checked your profile and your only seeding JP and RP. Nobody's leeching so what I will do I will download my own torrent to another directory. 12 of the 19 seeders are firewalled so you should at least be able to seed 10% plus of the show when i am done. Let me know how it shows up on your share ratio when i am done dl'ing.

Drgiggles1
2011-06-22, 08:00 AM
Are you listed on seeders list:

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww335/DrGiggles1/BeenTrampled.jpg

Drgiggles1
2011-06-22, 08:32 AM
Lets try that again :duh:
http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww335/DrGiggles1/BeenTrampled-1.jpg

BeenTrampled
2011-06-22, 10:55 AM
All the things I'm trying to seed (your torrent and the recent LZ 75 SBD, and a couple of others from other sites) are showing an infinity symbol under "ETA" and under "Peers" nothing is showing up. :(

I didn't have any trouble seeding a download from Demonoid yesterday.

P A U L
2011-06-22, 02:07 PM
One thing to keep in mind...

You might not be able to connect to a specific peer. That's one of the things about torrenting that drives me batty sometimes. I get this quite often where I hook up to a seed early on & can't hook up to the seed. Then someone comes along & I end up downloading off them & maybe get 5MB (@ best) from the seeder. It doesn't seem right, but I tend to do alright, because I leave my machine running a lot, so I get plenty of seeding in...

One thing to keep in mind is that sometimes leechers will show up (on site & client), when they are incapable of also hooking up, for whatever reason & that's why they sit there for days on end, showing up on your peers list...

Another thing to keep in mind is that Demonoid gets 10+ x's the traffic. It's not uncommon to get 1000+ leechers over the duration of a torrent, whereas here, the average is 100-200 over the duration of the torrent...

Homebrew101
2011-06-22, 02:24 PM
I counted 3 things to keep in mind not one :D

BeenTrampled
2011-06-22, 02:35 PM
...So should I just wait and see if it improves? Lol.

P A U L
2011-06-22, 03:46 PM
Are you actively involved with any torrents?

P A U L
2011-06-22, 03:55 PM
I counted 3 things to keep in mind not one :D
The problem is I could prolly add 72 more 1 more things... :lol:

BeenTrampled
2011-06-22, 04:49 PM
Yes, I'm attempting to seed an upload of Drgiggles1's and a recent Led Zeppelin torrent.

Drgiggles1
2011-06-22, 04:59 PM
Yes, I'm attempting to seed an upload of Drgiggles1's and a recent Led Zeppelin torrent.
Did you see my post on page 2

P A U L
2011-06-22, 05:31 PM

Could you post a link to the thread(s)?

I looked on the most recent zepp show in the torrents & don't see you among the peers...

BeenTrampled
2011-06-22, 05:57 PM
I'm currently attempting to seed these three torrents: http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=91871; http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=91734; and http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=91737.

Did you see my post on page 2

Yes...but I'm not sure how to answer you. If you meant for me to check under the "Peers" tab...no one is showing up there.

Drgiggles1
2011-06-22, 06:09 PM
I'm currently attempting to seed these three torrents: http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=91871; http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=91734; and http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=91737.

Yes...but I'm not sure how to answer you. If you meant for me to check under the "Peers" tab...no one is showing up there.
in the picture that is pasted on page 2 (second one) Do you see your internet ip address listed. Not the 192.168 one. If you are not sure click http://www.canyouseeme.org/

On those 3 torrents there are no leechers so your seed cannot proceed. Just leave it in your client running and eventually people will leech and everyone seeding will be be proceeding for the exception of those that are firewalled which will take them forever to get to 100%

BeenTrampled
2011-06-22, 06:18 PM
in the picture that is pasted on page 2 (second one) Do you see your internet ip address listed. Not the 192.168 one. If you are not sure click http://www.canyouseeme.org/

On those 3 torrents there are no leechers so your seed cannot proceed. Just leave it in your client running and eventually people will leech and everyone seeding will be be proceeding for the exception of those that are firewalled which will take them forever to get to 100%

Ohhhhhh...okay, let me check, I totally misread/misunderstood what you meant...yes, I'm there.

Okay, I'll leave the torrents seeding, then. Thanks again!

P A U L
2011-06-22, 06:45 PM

You look good on my end:

http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/pariht/BT.gif

If your port was in red you would have something to worry about...

Drgiggles1
2011-06-22, 06:50 PM
Resolve IP's will be found under:
Preferences - Advanced. Look for peer resolve country. If the value is true you want to change it to false by clicking once, and selecting false, and clicking ok. As far as can't ping my computer goes make sure your IP address on the computer has not changed. Also did you manually add a port in windows firewall for both UDP and TCP as suggested earlier ?
This is wrong what i said about "resolve ip's". In utorrent click on peers and than right click in that window. You should see an option for resolve ip's. Make sure it's unchecked. It will only affect utorrent performance allegedly. Not an issue with being firewalled or not.

BeenTrampled
2011-06-22, 07:53 PM
Okay, I've unchecked it. I'm slowly seeding your Page and Plant show. Yay! Lol.

Thanks (again) for the help! Now I can (sort of) give something back. :)