PDA

View Full Version : TV audio?

PG1Tapes
2011-04-04, 09:06 PM
I recorded audio from a TV broadcast saved to my DVR to my DR-07. It was recording in 44k, 16-bit mode. I tested the WAVs in TLH and it said they were MPEG sourced? Are they really lossy? Are they okay to post on TTD?

Audioarchivist
2011-04-04, 09:14 PM
I would bet that while you recorded lossless, the TV station broadcast being digital has been compressed somewhere either at the Tv studio, or somewhere at the cable company...

Are they allowable at TTD? I have no idea.

paddington
2011-04-04, 09:35 PM
#7:
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/faq.php?faq=new_faq_item#faq_rules

---------------------------------------
7. Audio ripped from an MPEG video or DVD is not permitted.
All digital video codecs use lossy audio compression schemes, and therefore audio extracted from an MPEG video or DVD is not permitted for seeding here.
---------------------------------------

What you have there is likely a re-code a cable company or satellite provider has done while passing the programming though its system (or possibly when buffering to the DVR) - likely MPEG2 audio, like on a DVD. A fine codec - but lossy nonetheless.

Biggus Dickus
2011-04-05, 04:55 PM
So nothing from TV can be uploaded?

PG1Tapes
2011-04-05, 06:09 PM

Only video, is what I'm getting out of this. I always wondered why trader's are okay with lossy audio on dvd's, but not otherwise.

Audioarchivist
2011-04-05, 10:37 PM

I'd say nothing from anything related to digital broadcasting could be allowed audio-wise here, under these rules. Maybe something recorded 20 years or more ago might be cool though... Analog old-school low-def TV ruled!

PG1Tapes
2011-04-06, 07:11 AM
I'd say nothing from anything related to digital broadcasting could be allowed audio-wise here, under these rules. Maybe something recorded 20 years or more ago might be cool though... Analog old-school low-def TV ruled!

Assumably, my DVR (and most) records in MPEG2 with AC3 audio. I'm guessing that it's in the .ts container.