PDA

View Full Version : Cisco RNG200 DVR transfer to PC

PG1Tapes
2011-03-30, 01:55 PM
I know I've asked about this before, but it doesn't hurt to ask again. How would I transfer from the DVR. I don't have much in the way of equipment to do this. Is it best to go from DVR>VCR>PC or something like that? or try and do a direct transfer? Any help is appreciated.

Homebrew101
2011-03-30, 02:03 PM
I'm not an expert - in fact have never done this but do not go via VHS, you'll most likely need to go through the analog dvr outs straight to your pc or possibly a digital video cam then to pc

PG1Tapes
2011-03-30, 11:06 PM
I'm not an expert - in fact have never done this but do not go via VHS, you'll most likely need to go through the analog dvr outs straight to your pc or possibly a digital video cam then to pc

Never thought of going to a video cam...that might be possible because I do have a nice video cam around my house. Don't have the right inputs on my pc though... :(

DanielG
2011-04-01, 07:37 AM
As Homebrew101 mentioned, you can use your video camera to digitize the video from your DVR. Then you can use the Firewire output from your video camera to your PC. What sort of video camera (make/model) do you have?

AAR.oner
2011-04-01, 07:41 AM
don't most DVRs have a USB or FW out? should be some way to transfer without re-digitizing

Homebrew101
2011-04-01, 08:06 AM
don't most DVRs have a USB or FW out? should be some way to transfer without re-digitizing

most dvr's that I know of do not allow a digital output except viw HDMI to the TV, not sure of what might have HDMI inputs other than a TV - I don't have a video cam, maybe those have HDMI inputs :dunno:

PG1Tapes
2011-04-01, 12:43 PM
As Homebrew101 mentioned, you can use your video camera to digitize the video from your DVR. Then you can use the Firewire output from your video camera to your PC. What sort of video camera (make/model) do you have?

It doesn't seem like my camera would do the job. It's one of those JVC Everio cams.

PG1Tapes
2011-04-01, 12:44 PM

There's a USB/FIREWIRE, but I'm pretty sure that there's heavy DRMing on it.

direwolf-pgh
2011-04-02, 09:05 AM
There's a USB/FIREWIRE, but I'm pretty sure that there's heavy DRMing on it.
the old STB had the firewire port open but you had to record in real-time.

until PCI CableCard become widely available you might want to check out something like this (http://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-1212-Definition-Personal-Recorder/dp/B0018LX0DY)

PG1Tapes
2011-04-02, 12:56 PM
the old STB had the firewire port open but you had to record in real-time.

until PCI CableCard become widely available you might want to check out something like this (http://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-1212-Definition-Personal-Recorder/dp/B0018LX0DY)

I'll definitely look into that...and I *MIGHT* try to get my hands on some firewire cables and see how that goes.