PDA

View Full Version : AM Radio

PG1Tapes
2010-12-23, 09:31 PM
I would assume that it is lossy...well, poor quality to say the least. However, I am not sure if it is actually lossy and was wondering if any of you knew.

rspencer
2010-12-23, 09:41 PM
Of course not, if it was recorded losslessly.

While it may have lesser signal strength than FM, it is still a "pure" source. Just like an FM recording, studio tape, audience tape, etc.

It would only be lossy if recorded to a lossy medium (MD, mp3, etc.).

PG1Tapes
2010-12-23, 09:57 PM
Of course not, if it was recorded losslessly.

While it may have lesser signal strength than FM, it is still a "pure" source. Just like an FM recording, studio tape, audience tape, etc.

It would only be lossy if recorded to a lossy medium (MD, mp3, etc.).

Alright. It's just that I hadn't seen any AM recordings anywhere. Thanks very much. Also, if I were to post an AM recording (hypothetically speaking), what would I call the source...FM?, SBD?

paddington
2010-12-23, 10:28 PM
a lot of the older recordings are AM broadcasts.

the NRSC rules adopted decades ago limit the freq range.. cuts off at 10kHz by law (many AM stations with IBOC on them are actually rolling off at 5kHz o nthe analog to keep from screwing up the digital sidebands) - so that is the main reason for the more "dull" sound on the AM band.

in the days before the NRSC rules were put into place, the broadcasts had better fidelity and the band was less crowded with electrical interference, so some of the older AM bootlegs sound pretty good.

PG1Tapes
2010-12-23, 11:38 PM
a lot of the older recordings are AM broadcasts.

the NRSC rules adopted decades ago limit the freq range.. cuts off at 10kHz by law (many AM stations with IBOC on them are actually rolling off at 5kHz o nthe analog to keep from screwing up the digital sidebands) - so that is the main reason for the more "dull" sound on the AM band.

in the days before the NRSC rules were put into place, the broadcasts had better fidelity and the band was less crowded with electrical interference, so some of the older AM bootlegs sound pretty good.

So that's a no-go for posting an AM recording here?

Five
2010-12-24, 12:37 AM
actually it is okay so long as it wasn't taped to mp3/md or something on your end

fire away

fwiw 99% of recent broadcasts (last 8? years or so) are sourced from mp3. There is one analog station left on the toronto dial last time I checked. probably the same for AM. but we allow these to be posted anyways understanding this, so long as its captured from a non-digital sat kind of source, open air or analog cable (if that still exists, applies to old tapes).

so tape off the radio to lossless, post it. lots of amazing shows on air need tapers everyday.

Five
2010-12-24, 12:39 AM
also see here (http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9766) for an early discussion about it.