PDA

View Full Version : I'd call this lossy,but:

tonebloke
2010-08-11, 04:07 AM
Grabbed a show via Mediafire of a particular show that, at this time, is the only source available (I think).
The files are WMA (don't know why) so I converted them to Wav then Flac. What I'd like to know is 1: does this lineage end-up being lossy (I know nothing about WMA's) and 2: going of the SA and FA, I've not seen this before.
I know nothing about the lineage or source before d/load.

co9ol
2010-08-11, 06:25 AM
Windows Media Audio (WMA's) are lossy. You can obviously convert them to flac if you want to, but your just going to waste space.

paddington
2010-08-11, 10:20 AM
Grabbed a show via Mediafire of a particular show that, at this time, is the only source available (I think).
The files are WMA (don't know why) so I converted them to Wav then Flac. What I'd like to know is 1: does this lineage end-up being lossy (I know nothing about WMA's) and 2: going of the SA and FA, I've not seen this before.
I know nothing about the lineage or source before d/load.
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80418&d=1281517653

das lawsy as hey'ell !!

once lossy, always lossy. You cannot put back discarded data.

If you 'convert' to FLAC or WAV, you are simply resampling the now-lossy audio with no extra compression. It's still lossy, but now it's bloated. There is no reason, ever, to do that.

Trash is trash, man. Sorry for your loss(y).

tonebloke
2010-08-12, 12:52 AM
James. I didn't convert to Flac to pass this off as something else; only to be able to work with the files. I understand now that WMA is crap but as I said this seems to be the only source available so I'll keep the WMA files as original source.

Thanks for the help guys.:clap::thumbsup

paddington
2010-08-12, 12:59 AM
James. I didn't convert to Flac to pass this off as something else; only to be able to work with the files.

I didn't mean to imply that. Some people honestly don't know you can't "convert back".

tonebloke
2010-08-12, 05:46 AM
No harm, no foul. Not taken as implied, or is that taken as not implied, or is the implied taken, or is not implied taken but definitely shaken "n" stirred.