PDA

View Full Version : Question about EAC rips.

sanpablobay
2010-01-06, 10:43 AM
I've stopped doing CDR rips ever since it became pretty much mandatory at most torrent sites to use EAC or something similar. and, here's why. every time i've used EAC to rip a CDR i never get 100% on all tracks. all the tracks come out OK and are always 99.something%. but, i never get 100% on everything.

is this normal with EAC rips & is it still okay to post a show here if all the tracks are not 100%?

AAR.oner
2010-01-06, 11:06 AM
yeah, thats fairly normal -- just means it had to re-read a few sectors [dirt, fingerprint, etc]...can't remember exactly, but i think anything that comes out 99.7% or above is completely fine

sanpablobay
2010-01-06, 11:31 AM
yeah, thats fairly normal -- just means it had to re-read a few sectors [dirt, fingerprint, etc]...can't remember exactly, but i think anything that comes out 99.7% or above is completely fine

okay. i think one or two are like 99.5%. i'm not home right now & can't check. but, i'll post the show late tonight & if it needs to be pulled, then whatever. no big deal.

peaktime
2010-01-06, 11:43 AM
I don't think it matters what the track quality is as long as there are no read errors. When EAC gives up and stops re-reading because it's not able to get a clean rip is when there is a problem (read error).

jamroom
2010-01-06, 12:22 PM
While we are on this subject, what are the collective thoughts about sharing an EAC rip where there are "suspicious positions", even though I cannot hear, or see in Audition, any problems with the sound at these "positions"? The cd was sent to me and the sender sent me his only copy.

tonebloke
2010-01-06, 10:58 PM
While we are on this subject, what are the collective thoughts about sharing an EAC rip where there are "suspicious positions", even though I cannot hear, or see in Audition, any problems with the sound at these "positions"? The cd was sent to me and the sender sent me his only copy.

What do you mean by "suspicious positions" ?

jamroom
2010-01-07, 11:59 AM
That's what was stated in the EAC log after the rip. I don't need to say that I cleaned the disc (not that it needed it), tried a rip with EAC on my laptop with the same results, so have ruled out operator / equipment error.

I had posted a query to the EAC yahoo group, but despite was I was told, it doesn't seem very active.

uninvited94
2010-01-07, 12:18 PM
If an EAC-rip is clean, you should read something like "no errors occured". Otherwise, there may be pointed out that there went something wrong and on which positions it happened. It ainīt enough to rip the CD via EAC, there must be no errors in the rip. If there is a track only at 99,8 or 99.9%, it still is clean. I guess anything under 99,7% has an error.

In case one track doesnīt read out properly, you may try another drive. Iīve had rips being clean on the 3rd or computer I tried.

sanpablobay
2010-01-07, 01:18 PM
If an EAC-rip is clean, you should read something like "no errors occured". Otherwise, there may be pointed out that there went something wrong and on which positions it happened. It ainīt enough to rip the CD via EAC, there must be no errors in the rip. If there is a track only at 99,8 or 99.9%, it still is clean. I guess anything under 99,7% has an error.

In case one track doesnīt read out properly, you may try another drive. Iīve had rips being clean on the 3rd or computer I tried.

okay. the few that weren't 100% on the rip i just did came out at 99.7% or above with no errors. so, i posted it already.

Unidecker
2010-01-07, 01:28 PM
alot of the errors are caused by jitter in diffrent drives unlessit sails failed dont sweat it in most cases..