PDA

View Full Version : CDR burning program for Vista

asdf29
2009-08-05, 09:46 PM
Can someone recommend a tested CDR burning software that works with Vista?

A version of Nero came with a Plextor DVD drive, but it only worked a few times before it failed to recognize my drive. I removed/re-installed and I had the same trip.

I just bought a new cheap Roxio ($30) but I'm afraid to open the box after reading online about incompatability with Vista.

I hate Vista, but it's what I have.

What do you use....with Vista?

Aimee Wilbury
2009-08-06, 07:52 AM
ImgBurn.

Zepe6sic6
2009-08-06, 08:30 AM
I use InfraRecorder (http://infrarecorder.org/).

dealtadawn
2009-08-06, 11:04 AM
Ok, so I have Vista Ultimate. I can burn discs with the Windows Media Center program. I'm sure this is a bad idea, but haven't found anything saying this. Anyone have any info on it?

asdf29
2009-08-06, 11:42 AM
I have ImgBurn.....I couldn't figure out how to burn cdr's.

It burns DVD's just fine.

I'm not very tech-smart.

I want a software with integrity, so I can burn CDR's and finally delete harddrive space.

I started getting small pops between tracks with my current freeware, I blame the freeware. I'm using a plextor drive.

asdf29
2009-08-06, 09:44 PM
I use InfraRecorder (http://infrarecorder.org/).

thanks! I downloaded and used InfraRecorder.

Do you know about the "padding data tracks" option?
I understand the concept, but is it a good idea?

I burn/listen to live recordings and I started getting small "pops" between tracks. Trying to get rid of that.

The 1st InfraRecorder burn I made doesn't seem to have the pops.
...so far.

paddington
2009-08-06, 09:48 PM
Padding the tracks is giving you the pops. It adds zeros and they don't decode to audio.. just noise, in some cases.

also, be sure to burn using the "Disc At Once" method rather than "Track at Once".

Nero works fine with Vista. If it can't see your drive anymore, make sure the OS can see it. Open Device Manager in the System control panel and see if the optical drive (CD/DVD) shows an error. If it appears in the "Computer" window, right click and see if ou can command it to "eject" from there.

asdf29
2009-08-06, 09:52 PM
Padding the tracks is giving you the pops. It adds zeros and they don't decode to audio.. just noise, in some cases.

also, be sure to burn using the "Disc At Once" method rather than "Track at Once".

Nero works fine with Vista. If it can't see your drive anymore, make sure the OS can see it. Open Device Manager in the System control panel and see if the optical drive (CD/DVD) shows an error.

thanks! i didn't trust that "padding tracks" option.

I'll disable that.

I am very familiar with DAO.

Thanks for the Nero/OS tip. That shit drove me crazy, and I removed the program and boxed it in the closet. I remember googling this problem and finding similiar complaints.

Hoping this InfraRecorder works & keeps working...gotta free some HD space!

asdf29
2009-08-10, 12:52 PM
I had 2 great error-free burns with InfraRecorder.

Now, InfraRecorder isn't burning my discs.

When I click "burn", it almost immediately says "Operation Completed" yet nothing has happened. I tried numerous blanks, it does nothing.

I uninstalled/reinstalled and nothing happened.
Device Manager (and InfraRecorder) "sees" the drive ok.

Has this happened to anyone?
Any other trusted Audio burning programs (VISTA compatable)?

Five
2009-08-12, 12:47 AM
I would go back to imgburn... I think the clicks are caused by sector boundary errors. you can test for these using TLH (http://tlh.easytree.org) ... let us know how it goes for ya.

Aimee Wilbury
2009-08-13, 06:19 PM
I have ImgBurn.....I couldn't figure out how to burn cdr's..

http://guides.imgburn.com/ :)

asdf29
2009-08-19, 08:44 PM
I just tried Roxio (had to install a patch for it to see my plextor drive).

I am still getting small pops between tracks. Not between every track, but occaionally. I used to never get this.

There is not a "padding" option in Roxio.

I'm thinking maybe it's my drive?

In the meantime, I'm monkeying with all kinds of solutions.
Guess I'll try ImgBurn again (create a cue file).

Until I figure it out, thought I'd say something here...

Drgiggles1
2010-02-12, 12:21 PM

Nero works fine with Vista. If it can't see your drive anymore, make sure the OS can see it. Open Device Manager in the System control panel and see if the optical drive (CD/DVD) shows an error. If it appears in the "Computer" window, right click and see if ou can command it to "eject" from there.
I am curious if Session At Once is acceptable ?