PDA

View Full Version : Help with firewall

Sparkalounger
2008-09-03, 07:02 PM
Is there anyone familiar with the Windows Vista operating system who is patient enough to help me figure out why I am still behind a firewall? I am computer technology challenged, so I need someone who will walk me thru step by step. I'd love to be a seeder, but right now all I can be is a leecher...:wtf:

direwolf-pgh
2008-09-03, 07:12 PM
spill your guts.. where are you stuck? and what equipment do you have.

Sparkalounger
2008-09-03, 07:17 PM
THANK YOU!!!!! But.........I'm warning you right off the bat, I'm DUMB when it comes to this stuff LOL

I have a HP Pavillion desktop
I have Windows Vista
I have DSL thru my phone company
I do not appear to have a separate router (all I have is the gray box the phone company sent me that says "Actiontec...54 Mbps Wireless DSL Gateway"
I have AVG virus protection
I use Nero 8

what else can I tell you?

direwolf-pgh
2008-09-03, 07:19 PM
THANK YOU!!!!! But.........I'm warning you right off the bat, I'm DUMB when it comes to this stuff LOLthats ok .. im certifiably insane.. we'll do just fine together :)

tell me what actions you have taken regarding this firewall issue .. config-wise

and make certain you've read this stickie
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42590

Sparkalounger
2008-09-03, 07:32 PM
I did go to that site and I got this message:

If you get the following message, then you are firewalled:
Error: I could not see your service on xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx on port (yyyy)
Reason: Connection timed out

I tried going to my Control Panel>Windows Firewall>change settings>off>apply>ok

I rebooted and I was still coming up as firewalled, so I went back to canyousee me and got the same message. After that, I went back and turned my firewall back on, figuring if I didn't correctly take it off, I didn't want to make my computer vulnerable...

direwolf-pgh
2008-09-03, 07:36 PM
keep the firewall software on for now. I need the model # of the Actiontec thing.

its your router/gateway device.. then Im going to send you to another FAQ :) yea !

Sparkalounger
2008-09-03, 07:40 PM
model # GT704-WG
F/W:3.130.1.0.6.1

is what it says-now someone told me that that was not my router, only a cable modem thing. I'm SOOOO confused lol

keep the firewall software on for now. I need the model # of the Actiontec thing.

its your router/gateway device.. then Im going to send you to another FAQ :) yea !

direwolf-pgh
2008-09-03, 07:45 PM
you are the proud owner of an Actiontec GT704-WG router!
you need this FAQ..you may not understand one damn word..but you need it. it is your destiny.
http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Actiontec/GT704-WG/Utorrent.htm

that link is for configuring utorrent..if you use a different torrent client.. choose from the list here
http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Actiontec/GT704-WG/GT704-WGindex.htm

Sparkalounger
2008-09-03, 07:54 PM
ok, it is askign me for the router IP address. Is that the same as my computer IP address?

direwolf-pgh
2008-09-03, 07:58 PM
to find your IP address in Vista
http://www.itc.virginia.edu/network/address.html#winvista

Write or print this info out (in this case the gateway/router IP is what you are currently after)

your computer receives its IP address from the Actiontec router. Every network device (node) has it's own unique IP address.

Sparkalounger
2008-09-03, 08:07 PM
ok, I'm done with that part! Now I should....?

direwolf-pgh
2008-09-03, 08:10 PM
:popcorn: for those of you just wondering when I'm going to tell him about static routing..I'm not.
The Actiontec routers auto-map ports with computer name..neat huh?!

I'd also like to point out that my new buddy, Sparkalounger, has not read one single FAQ on this site..
some of you might think that is kinda weak..and it is.. but since he is my new buddy - its all good.

Sparkalounger
2008-09-03, 08:16 PM
OK, first of all, your new buddy Sparkalounger is a SHE, not a he. Second of all, I have too read some of the FAQs on here (not all, I admit, but I have perused them). I said in my very first post, I'm dumb about this stuff and I needed someone to walk me thru this step by step. The last person who helped me told me I didn't HAVE a router, so that kind of threw me off. I had been on that port forward website before, but couldn't find my actiontec thingy on it, and that's when someone told me "that's not a router, thats a DSL modem"...

I appreciate the help you have given me so far. Please don't feel that you have to keep helping me, I don't want to waste your evening on my computer problems, I'm sure you have better things to do :)

direwolf-pgh
2008-09-03, 08:22 PM
:wave: wait come back !
You are not dumb with this stuff.. there is no reason in the world that you should know any of this stuff.. this is nerd stuff.. and you sound like a normal person.

Sparkalounger
2008-09-03, 08:24 PM
oh, I didn't leave. I've just been going thru the FAQs to see if I missed something, and nope, I still don't get it LOL

wait, I just saw this "I can help.. honest! and my new buddy is a SHE.. I like women too ..honest!", I have to admit, that made me LMAO!

direwolf-pgh
2008-09-03, 08:28 PM
oh, I didn't leave. I've just been going thru the FAQs to see if I missed something, and nope, I still don't get it LOL

wait, I just saw this "I can help.. honest! and my new buddy is a SHE.. I like women too ..honest!", I have to admit, that made me LMAO!:lol: this can be frustrating stuff..so yeah.. I'm trying to have a little fun.

now.. back to business

remember all that IP information you wrote down/printed.

use this faq again with the gateway IP address you wrote down.
http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Actiontec/GT704-WG/Utorrent.htm

..basically, you open a web browser >
enter the Gateway IP Address in the web browser ( it will ask for a login )
now you are entering 'into' the Actiontec router to open the port ( open port = not firewalled)

there may be an extra bump here or there..or maybe not. give it a shot.

Sparkalounger
2008-09-03, 08:42 PM
ok, I did all of that stuff. I'm still showing as firewalled here, so I went back to canyouseeme and entered the port there that I tried to open up, and it said "Success!" YAY. Am I showing firewalled here because the site is busy?

direwolf-pgh
2008-09-03, 08:45 PM
you are not firewalled ! :woot: its a false positive that will go away next time you close your torrent client and log back into this site.

you did it ! you are smart..I knew it. :cool:

I'm glad we had this opportunity to chat.. very nice to meet you Sparkalounger - enjoy the shows.

U2Lynne
2008-09-03, 08:45 PM
In order for your status to change on the site, you would have to stop your torrents and then start them again. The site only checks to see if you are firewalled when you first connect.

OK, I am laughing here at this thread.... Wolf can always find the girls! It's this knack he has, he just seems to always get the women! Even when he didn't know they were female at first! And I think that makes some of the guys kinda jealous. :D

Sparkalounger
2008-09-03, 08:52 PM
wolf, I think I love you. LOL. Thank you so very much for your help and patience, even when I got a little :wtf: on you! I am no longer firewalled, YAY! Maybe this means I can download something in a few hours, instead of 8 days? LOL

edit-i have to admit two things here. One, I thought wolf was a girl at first (cuz of the avi) LOL, and two, I FORGOT that this was a thread and everybody and anybody could/would read it LOL

direwolf-pgh
2008-09-03, 08:59 PM
wolf, I think I love you. LOL. lol.. awesome. :love: come visit the Lounge sometime for a chat.
OK, I am laughing here at this thread.... Wolf can always find the girls! It's this knack he has, he just seems to always get the women! Even when he didn't know they were female at first! And I think that makes some of the guys kinda jealous. :DI have my moments. :kiss:

pmonk
2008-09-03, 09:38 PM
I appreciate the help you have given me so far. Please don't feel that you have to keep helping me, I don't want to waste your evening on my computer

Wolf's evenings is always a waste!

I think with your ratio you should post a pic!

pmonk
2008-09-03, 09:40 PM
One, I thought wolf was a girl at first

I still think wolf is a girl

IHateCookies
2008-09-03, 09:47 PM
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/391/dogpwnedcatfm4.jpg

direwolf-pgh
2008-09-04, 01:14 AM
:thumbsup

pawel
2008-09-04, 02:24 AM