PDA

View Full Version : FLAC directly to CDR on Vista?

uninvited94
2008-08-13, 03:17 PM
Hey there,

I´m terribly looking for a decent freeware or any tool that allows me to burn FLACs directly to CDR. As Nero 6 does not work on Vista, that would be necessary.

Thanks in advance,
O.

direwolf-pgh
2008-08-13, 03:33 PM
to burn .flac to CD-R/DVD-R = burn a standard 'data disc'

the disc would then have data files in .flac format. they are non-playable with standard CD/DVD players.

every CD/DVD burning program can burn data to disc. hope this helps. there is a list of progs in the FAQS.

uninvited94
2008-08-13, 03:36 PM
Thanks, but not the problem...I meant Audio-CDR. :D

direwolf-pgh
2008-08-13, 03:55 PM
let me guess further then...

you have Vista and wish to know which software will burn .flac to the red book audio standard in one process.

is this the question at hand ?

saltman
2008-08-13, 04:01 PM
I think that is his question.

Nero could used to do it (FLAC>CDR) with a plugin. Last I looked it did not work with Vista. This may have changed. Most burning programs have to decompress the flac to wav prior to burning.

uninvited94
2008-08-13, 04:01 PM
Exactly. Sorry I did not make this clear at first. However, Nero 6 does not work at Vista, the only Nero I knew that it managed this.

uninvited94
2008-08-13, 04:03 PM
I think that is his question.

Nero could used to do it (FLAC>CDR) with a plugin. Last I looked it did not work with Vista. This may have changed. Most burning programs have to decompress the flac to wav prior to burning.

Yes. I mean, it is no big deal to decode the files via TLH, but I used that 1-step-program about 2 years and can´t believe that this Vista-bullshit makes it more difficult again.

U2Lynne
Does foobar2000 work on Vista? I seem to recall that you can use it to burn an audio CD directly from flac files.

saltman
uninivited

yeah that's what it is. Last I looked they didn't have the flac plugin for the new one. It may be out now though. They also have a shn plugin that does the same thing.

If it was for cds you care about, I would not do the compress/burn on the fly. I imagine it is more prone to errors.

I think you are right Lynne.

direwolf-pgh
2008-08-13, 04:07 PM
another solution:

EAC + AUTOFLAC plugin

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

http://www.legroom.net/software/autoflac

uninvited94
2008-08-13, 04:08 PM
uninivited

yeah that's what it is. Last I looked they didn't have the flac plugin for the new one. It may be out now though. They also have a shn plugin that does the same thing.

If it was for cds you care about, I would not do the compress/burn on the fly. I imagine it is more prone to errors.

I think you are right Lynne.

Alright, thanks for the help. Decoding to WAV indeed makes sure again if the files are alright. I´ll look what Foobar might offer. Again: Thanks.

Five
2008-08-13, 04:12 PM
burrrn is not directly supported but I'd give it a shot anyways

I found a list here, some list vista as being supported:
http://en.kioskea.net/telecharger/logiciel-51-burning

not certain of the quality of these progs or direct from FLAC>audio cdr support

personally I would just get rid of that vista crap! then you can burn with correct offsets using EAC.

Five
2008-08-13, 04:16 PM
Does foobar2000 work on Vista? I seem to recall that you can use it to burn an audio CD directly from flac files.
iirc foobar uses nero to burn (at least 0.8.x series)

another solution:

EAC + AUTOFLAC plugin

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

http://www.legroom.net/software/autoflac
wow, didn't know about this :cool: :cool:

uninvited94
2008-08-13, 04:20 PM
Thanks, Five!!

I´m trying Burrrn, looks quite good to me.

BTW, nice avatar. I´d have chosen Bender. :wave:

burrrn is not directly supported but I'd give it a shot anyways

I found a list here, some list vista as being supported:
http://en.kioskea.net/telecharger/logiciel-51-burning

not certain of the quality of these progs or direct from FLAC>audio cdr support

personally I would just get rid of that vista crap! then you can burn with correct offsets using EAC.

Five
2008-08-13, 04:40 PM
thanks, lol John was my 2nd choice

was going to use the one below with custom user title "heavy metal vomit party" but somehow molly makes me happier :D

you can have this if you want it

uninvited94
2008-08-13, 04:46 PM
Heeeeeeeeeeeeey!!!! Thanks!!

Does Barry Manilow know that you raid his wardrobe? :D

In German synch, Manilow was replaced by...Phil Collins!!!!

Five
2008-08-13, 05:19 PM
you're welcome :wave:

Phil Collins is worse than Manilow in my opinion... except when Phil is only on drums and not singing, of course :lol:

now we need the rest of the cast in avatars... but all the good ones are taken!

uninvited94
2008-08-13, 05:30 PM
now we need the rest of the cast in avatars... but all the good ones are taken!

Sorry, but I prefered Allison over Claire. :thumbsup

uninvited94
2008-08-13, 05:32 PM
I mean...

Allison Reynolds: I'll do anything sexual. I don't need a million dollars to do it either.
Claire Standish: You're lying.
Allison Reynolds: I already have. I've done just about everything there is except a few things that are illegal. I'm a nymphomaniac.
Claire Standish: Lie.
Brian Johnson: Are your parents aware of this?
Allison Reynolds: The only person I told was my shrink.
Andrew Clark: And what did he do when you told him?
Allison Reynolds: He nailed me.
Claire Standish: Very nice.
Allison Reynolds: I don't think that from a legal standpoint what he did can be construed as rape, since I paid him.

direwolf-pgh
2008-08-13, 06:17 PM
this is good question, uninvited94. sorry i misread at first

the EAC solution sounds great - but the rip must have a CUE sheet.
I still use Nero for audio :hide: because its a quick to create a disc in XP.

Im looking at other programs. kb3 (open source) looks interesting.
I'm surprised the script kiddies havent done more with EAC.

uninvited94
2008-08-13, 06:21 PM
Hey, Burrrn is fine with me. Made a test CDR with FLACs, overburn, it worked perfect. I indeed used to burn w/ EAC, but from WAVs only. I guess I found what I was looking for.

Five
2008-08-13, 08:36 PM
great to hear it :thumbsup

the advantage of EAC is that it is possible to set both your read and write offsets such that you can burn an audio cdr, then re-extract, re-compress to FLAC and actually get the identical ffp/st5 from it.

but since we're all using audio cdrs for personal use, its kind of a moot point!

Five
2008-08-15, 02:28 PM
I mean...

Allison Reynolds: I'll do anything sexual. I don't need a million dollars to do it either.
Claire Standish: You're lying.
Allison Reynolds: I already have. I've done just about everything there is except a few things that are illegal. I'm a nymphomaniac.
Claire Standish: Lie.
Brian Johnson: Are your parents aware of this?
Allison Reynolds: The only person I told was my shrink.
Andrew Clark: And what did he do when you told him?
Allison Reynolds: He nailed me.
Claire Standish: Very nice.
Allison Reynolds: I don't think that from a legal standpoint what he did can be construed as rape, since I paid him.
I thought about it, and you know what you're right :wave:

but I still can't help my teenage crush on Molly :redface: