PDA

View Full Version : "Flac" sourced show I got on Dime...

The Sixth Rat Packer
2008-05-26, 02:53 AM
So I FINALLY got signed up on Dime today and for some reason nothing will upload to them, despite me uploading here like a champ.

So i'll probably be banned any day now. lol

that's a story for another day though.

So I grabbed the Lovage show from Cambridge MA, and downloaded it.

I converted a copy to mp3 for my Ipod, and then I happened to notice something.

The compression of the flacs were 2.3 to 1 (41%) or thereabouts on all the tracks. The final track "silence" was the only one that was untouched at 1 to 1

That's not right, is it? I'm thinking this was an mp3 file that was converted to flac to post on Dime?

By comparison the mp3 copy I made was 7 to 1 (13%)

ameyer17
2008-05-26, 09:09 AM
It's certainly possible... I've seen quiet lossless stuff with a poor frequency range get compressed to under 320 kbps.

procella
2008-05-26, 10:35 AM
You shouldn't download lossy stuff there if you are unable to upload.:)
When you reach the limit of the newbie bonus you won't be able to dl anymore.
I downloaded a few shows which also had such a bad flac ratio but were ok. But this one really looks suspicious to me. Still, one of the experts should have a look at it. You shouldn't trust me.

U2Lynne
2008-05-26, 10:49 AM
I am no expert, but I've gotta agree that does not look good.

Five
2008-06-21, 09:11 PM
looks lossy to me, too

classictrader
2008-07-18, 12:00 PM
Kind of off topic, but I also have problems with uploading to DIME. I've just come to the conclusion that I have to leave a completed torrent open for a several weeks to (hopefully) get my ratio up to par. I don't have a problem with that, but it makes the wait for myself to enjoy my D/L even longer sometimes.

Five
2008-07-18, 12:03 PM
maybe you're firewalled? portforward.com

or perhaps comcast/rogers/shaw/whoever is choking your uploads

you can listen to the files once you're reached 100% while still seeding, no problems, no need to wait.

mooncusser
2008-07-18, 12:08 PM
or you're jumping on a torrent late and there are fewer people downloading it?

gotta have someone take what you're giving for the ratio to go up.