PDA

View Full Version : Lossy or Lossless?

quadrophenia
2008-01-12, 10:40 AM
This is a Sinatra show from 1981. Maybe it's an FM broadcast. I don't know.

Five
2008-01-12, 08:49 PM
doesn't look good... could you zoom it to 2 seconds, pls?

jasonrh
2008-01-13, 02:01 AM
If it is lossy, would you be able to stick it on another tracker, or up your lossy stuff on another tracker?

I adore Sinatra, but I understand the whole 'no lossy stuff ever' debate.

Of course, for pre-1950s Sinatra stuff it is arguable whether there is 'real' signal in the range that mp3 cuts, but that's not at issue here.

Please more Frankie! :)

quadrophenia
2008-01-13, 02:27 PM
Here is the zoom (2seconds) and another track from the show.

quadrophenia
2008-01-13, 02:46 PM
another zoom

quadrophenia
2008-01-13, 03:00 PM
and a flac sound sample

quadrophenia
2008-01-13, 05:26 PM
I contacted the original uploader. He says it's a soundboard recording and definitely lossless.

Five
2008-01-14, 12:37 PM
did you get any lineage with that?

seems to be okay, perhaps it was nr'ed that would explain why the noise in the highs is missing.

quadrophenia
2008-01-14, 01:42 PM

seems to be okay, perhaps it was nr'ed that would explain why the noise in the highs is missing.

No, sorry. I only know that the source is a soundboard. The textfile says CDR-EAC-WAV-Flac.

I want to share this show here. Is that ok?

jasonrh
2008-01-14, 03:23 PM
Slightly aside from this particular show, is it OK to upload stuff from before the MP3 era that is noise reduced, or that might have only ever been mastered and made available from a recording that originated on a minidisc?

Thanks.

Five
2008-01-15, 10:11 PM

No, sorry. I only know that the source is a soundboard. The textfile says CDR-EAC-WAV-Flac.

I want to share this show here. Is that ok?
sure... maybe see if you can find a better version out there somewhere. if you approach ppl who have this show on their list saying that you might have an upgrade they are usually very receptive to trading samples and sharing what they have if it turns out to be better than your source.

Slightly aside from this particular show, is it OK to upload stuff from before the MP3 era that is noise reduced, or that might have only ever been mastered and made available from a recording that originated on a minidisc?

Thanks.
yes. just try your best to upload only the best sources that are out there by researching a little before you post.

non-noise-reduced/processed versions are almost universally preferred, and if the show was transferred to md after is was originally recorded or taped FM>MD it is not allowed. So if its aud>MD direct then its okay so long as it was recorded before 2008-01-01.

edwardedward
2011-06-24, 11:08 PM
Is this from Frank Sinatra's March 10, 1981 show at the Atlanta Civic Center?

I'm looking for that.

bertrand
2012-01-25, 11:58 PM
Looking at the sample... this is MP3 for sure, but then there's something else here. A bit of background/white noise, possibly from dithering maybe?

mediaaddict
2013-10-03, 10:48 AM
I have a question regarding lossless vs. lossy that I hope someone can answer for. I have one of those stereos that is a casette player, CD player/recorder, radio and turntable in one unit. This unit allows for recording of LP or cassette to CD. Would those transfers be lossless or lossy? I have no clue. Thanks.

tonebloke
2013-10-04, 03:49 AM
This is lossless and NOT eMPty3 based. Without knowing the original equipment used to capture it, and what may have happened to the files by others in the mean time, I'd presume this has had compression applied at some stage so what you see is a combination of that and the equipment used.:wave: